|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MELVIN - OSMOND).
D. M. MELVIN & Co., dealers in general merchandise. The firm is composed of D. M. Melvin and J. D. Fincher, the latter being Postmaster. The business was established in 1873, and has since continued uninterruptedly. D. M. Melvin, senior member of the firm, was born in Washington County, Penn., January 28, 1847. His parents moved to Kansas in 1857. They first located in Atchison County, but the following year settled in Douglas County, where the father, William Melvin, engaged in farming. The subject of our sketch remained on the home farm until 1868, when he took a clerkship in a drug store in Lawrence, continuing in this position about four years. He then devoted some time to study in the business college previous to the organization of D. M. Melvin & Co. He was married in Lawrence, Kan., November 2, 1880, to Miss Addie E., daughter of G. B. Edgar, Esq. They have one son - Frank Edgar. Mr. M. is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the K. of H. He is much interested in the cause of temperance, and has belonged at times to the Good Templar organization.
A. G. MENGER, dealer in boots and shoes. The business was established in 1870 by Mr. Menger as a custom shop. In 1875, he added a general line of boots and shoes. The business has increased from $5,000 to upwards of $20,000 yearly sales. He has among his lines the very best class of goods, among which are the famous Burt's boots and shoes, of which he is the agent in Lawrence. A. G. Menger was born in Wildenspring Schwarzburg Rudolstadt, Germany, January 6, 1844. His parents came to the United States in 1856, locating in Philadelphia, Penn. In 1857, they moved to Kansas and settled on a farm twelve miles from Lawrence, Douglass (sic) County. In 1860, the subject of our sketch came to Lawrence, driven away from the farm by the drouth, looking for work, and succeeded in getting a situation in a shoe shop and there learned the trade of boot and shoe making, which trade he followed as a journeyman until 1870, when he went into business for himself. He was married in Boonville, Cooper Co., Mo., January 1, 1870, to Miss Martha Gauss, of that place. Mrs. Menger died in 1882, leaving two children - Ines A. and Albert F.
F. F. METTNER, photographer, business established in 1879. He practices all branches of the art, making a specialty of crayon work. He made an exhibit of his work at the centennial exhibition, and secured a prize there. Mr. Mettner was born in Konigsburg, Prussia, September 3, 1843. He was educated in the gymnasium in his native town. About 1860, he entered the Academy of Fine Arts, where he studied drawing and painting. About 1863, he went to Paris, where he entered a photograph gallery. Afterward continued his studies in Vienna and Berlin. In 1867, he opened a photograph gallery in Paris, and continued there in business until driven out during the late war, he then went to Geneva, Switzerland, and being under obligation to serve in the German Army, shortly afterwards joined the Landwehr, and served during the war. He then returned to Geneva and engaged there in business until 1876, when he emigrated to the United States. He first located in Chicago, afterward moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, thence to Kansas City, Mo., thence to Lawrence. Mr. Mettner adds to his regular business landscape and portrait painting.
F. O. MILLARD, chief clerk Eldridge Hotel, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., October 2, 1835. His parents moved to West Springfield, Mass., when he was young. In 1855, he struck West and located in St. Paul, Minn., where he engaged in general occupations. In 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Eighth Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. During the Sioux war he served in Minnesota, Dakota and Idaho, in the campaign against those Indians, then went South with his regiment. He served until August, 1865, when he was mustered out; after paying a visit to Massachusetts, he moved to Kansas the same year, and settled in Lawrence; here he engaged as a clerk in the hotel then just opened; two years later went to Ottawa, to take charge of the office of the Ludington House. In the fall of 1871, he returned to Lawrence to take the position of head clerk of the Eldridge House. The following year, he resigned, and shortly afterward engaged in the mercantile business. When Mr. Ludington bought the hotel, he resumed his position, continuing until June, 1880. In December of the same year, having spent the intervening time in Ottawa, he again took the office, where he has since remained with the exception of a few months that he had charge of a dining car on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. Mr. Millard was married in Lawrence in June, 1873, to Miss Carrie, daughter of C. Blodgett, Esq., one of the early settlers in Montgomery County, Kan. He is a member of Washington Post, No. 12, G. A. R.
MRS. S. A. MITCHELL, proprietress Durfee House; the original building was erected in the spring of 1857 by Mr. Whitney, was burnt down and afterward rebuilt. Since that time, has had additions made to it at various times. It is a frame building irregular in shape with ground dimensions about 50x100 feet. In contains twenty-seven bedrooms. Passed into present management in 1882. Mrs. A. A. (Mahone) Mitchell, is a native of West Virginia; her parents moved to Indiana when she was very young. She married in Putnam County, Ind., April 2, 1854, to Mr. S. A. Mitchell, and moved with him to Leavenworth County, Kan., in 1854. They were the first settlers on the Delaware Indian lands. Mr. Mitchell moved to Olathe, Kan., about 1869, thence to Baldwin City in 1876. In 1879, settled in Lawrence. She has four children - Alfred W., Willard P., Scott and Luella.
FREDERICK D. MORSE, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in East Medway, Mass., December 25, 1838. His academical studies were pursued at Monson Academy, Massachusetts. He then entered Amherst College, graduating in 1862 with the degree of A. B. After leaving college, he enlisted, in 1862, in Company B, Forty-second Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, and served one year, having enlisted for nine months. He was in the Banks expedition in Louisiana and participated in the battle of Brashear City, where he was captured two weeks later and paroled. He entered upon his professional studies in 1864 at Chicago in the office of Dr. C. M. Fitch, and graduated in Rush Medical College, in 1867. Commenced practice in Chicago, and about eighteen months later, removed to Kansas, settled in Lawrence and immediately began the practice of his profession in partnership with Dr. A. M. Wilder. This continued about five years. Since that time, Dr. Morse has been alone, having at this time a very large practice. He was married in Monson, Mass., October 19, 1869, to Miss Addie H., a daughter of Dr. Alvin Smith. Dr. Morse holds a high position in the medical fraternity of Kansas. He has been Secretary of the State Society a number of years. He is High Priest in Royal Arch Masonry and a member of the Congregational Church. Has been connected with the City School Board several terms.
I. L. MOSSLER, proprietor "Famous" Clothing House, dealer in clothing, hats and caps and gents' furnishing goods, etc. The business was established in September, 1882. He occupies the first floor and basement of a building 25x85 feet, carries a stock of about $30,000, employs six clerks and is doing a very large business. I. L. Mossler was born in the city of Berlin, Prussia, May 29, 1856. In 1864, he settled in Indianapolis, Ind. He finished his education at the Ann Arbor (Mich.) College, and at the age of eighteen years commenced clerking, in Richmond, Ind., in clothing stores, and in 1878 commenced business in same line in Indianapolis, Ind. After this, he engaged for a time in traveling from New York City, then entered into business at Litchfield, Ill., under the firm name of Summerfield & Co., which he continued until 1882. Mr. Mossler was married in Litchfield, Ill., November 23, 1880, to Miss Dora Summerfield. They have one child - Hattie.
DR. R. MORRIS, physician and surgeon, was born in Highland County, Ohio, April 15, 1824. He was born and lived on a farm until he was about twenty years of age. In the fall of 1840, he moved with his parents to Fulton County, Ill. He received his early education in his native State. After settling in Illinois, he engaged for a while in teaching school. In 1844, he commenced his academical course at Cherry Grove Seminary, Knox County, Ill. In 1847, he began his professional studies with Abraham Hull, M. D., of Marietta, Ill., and continued his course of studies with this gentleman about three years. After engaging in practice a short time, he entered Rush Medical College, in Chicago, Ill., graduating in February, 1851. He then located in Hermon, Knox County, Ill., where he followed his profession alone until January, 1855, when on solicitation he formed a partnership in the practice of medicine, with his old perceptor of Ellisville, Ill., and continued in active practice until the fall of 1861. The following winter, while taking a short rest from his labors, he attended lectures again at Rush Medical College. In November, 1862, he was appointed Surgeon of the One Hundred and Third Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers, with the rank of Major. During the last year of the war, he was Chief Surgeon of the First Division of the fifteenth Army Corps, commanded by Brevt. Brig. Gen. William B. Woods. On the close of the war, he returned to Galesburg, Ill., and in the same year moved to Kansas, settled in Lawrence, and in April, 1866, resumed the practice of his profession, in which he has since been constantly engaged. Dr. Morris was, while in Illinois, an active member of the Knox City (Ill.) Medical Society. He is at present a member of the Kansas State Medical Society, of which he was first vice President in 1874. He is also a member of the Eastern Kansas District Medical Society, of the State Board of Medical Examiners, of Douglas County Medical Society, and of Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F. The Doctor is now Coroner of Douglas County, to which office he has been elected three times in succession. He is also County Physician, which position he has held during the last five years. He further held the office of City Physician and Medical Health Officer of the city of Lawrence for the term of four years. Dr. Morris was married May 31, 1855, to Miss Belinda R. Haptonstall, of Hermon, Knox County, Ill. They have three children living - Clara L. (now Mrs. L. H. Perkins), Fred Le Roy and Nellie Vie.
CHARLES V. MOTTRAM, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Gilbertsville, Otsego Co., N. Y., December 25, 1823. Received his preliminary education in his native place, also then passed through the academical course, then entered Hamilton College and graduated in 1843. He commenced his professional studies in Chenango County, N. Y., in the office of Dr. R. Mitchell, of Norwich. Before completing his studies, he moved West and placed himself under the tutelage of Dr. Zina Pitcher, an eminent army surgeon, remaining under his instruction about two years, in the meantime taking courses of lectures at the Indiana State Medical College, where he graduated in March, 1847. Previously, he had given special attention to the study of anatomy, and while in this institution was appointed Demonstrator of Anatomy. Two years later, he took degrees at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Philadelphia, Penn. Commenced practice at Centreville, St. Joseph Co., Mich., where he remained three years. He then moved to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he engaged in practice, continuing until the commencement of the late war. In June, 1861, he was appointed Surgeon of the Sixth Michigan Infantry, in the fall of 1861, was ordered to Baltimore, Md., and remained there until February, 22, 1862, connected with the Army of the Potomac most of the time. When Gen. Butler was ordered to New Orleans, Dr. Mattram was appointed Brigade Surgeon, and subsequently made Chief Medical Officer on the staff of Gen. Butler. Was with Commodore Farragut in his passage of Forts Jackson and Phillip, April 26, 1862. Entering New Orleans, he was promoted to be Medical Director of the Department of the Gulf. He was in the battles of Baton Rouge, Port Hudson, Vicksburg and Grand Gulf; afterward with Gen. Banks in the Red River expedition, in the battles of Alexandria and Grand Ecole. Also participated in the siege and capture of Forts Morgan and Gaines, at the entrance of Mobile Bay, and Forts Blakeley and Mobile. At the end of three years, he was placed upon the roster as veteran and remained in the service until September, 1865. At the close of the war, he was placed in charge of a hospital steamer, the D. A. January, and had the special duty of attending to the sick and wounded and returning them to the depots of discharge in the Northern States. For three years after the war, having contract chronic diarrhoea in the service, he was an invalid. In 1872, he settled in Lawrence, Kan., where he has since been engaged in practice. He is a member of the State Medical Society and an active member of the American Medical Association, and for years has been a delegate annually from the State Medical Society to the American Medical Association. At the National Convention of 1878, at Buffalo, N. Y., he was appointed a Delegate to the International Medical Convention at Paris, and spent four months in attendance upon that convention and in researches at the various colleges and hospitals of Europe. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
ROBERT MORROW was born in Sparta, Sussex Co., N. J., September 20, 1825. Was married, April 13, 1850, to Martha Cory, a native of the same place. Moved to Wisconsin in the spring of 1850, settled at Appleton, in Outagamie County, lived at Appleton over five years and was engaged in merchandising most of the time. Has been County Treasurer of Outagamie County for two years. Emigrated to Kansas in August, 1855, and settled at Lawrence. Lived at Lawrence during all the border troubles. Was active and efficient in helping to make Kansas a free State. In 1856, he built the Morrow House (where the National Bank of Lawrence now stands), and opened the house in the following spring. It was burned by Quantrill, in August, 1863. Mr. Morrow was a member of the Territorial Legislature in the winter of 1858, also a member of the first State Senate on the organization of the State. Served several terms as a member of the city Council of Lawrence; was President of the same one term. Served for a time as Treasurer of Douglas County by appointment. Lived continuously at Lawrence for over twenty-seven years, where his children were mostly born and raised. Mr. and Mrs. Morrow have five children - Laura A., (now Mrs. E. K. Conley), Robert C., Kante S., George Francis and Helen May. Mr. Morrow has resided at Emporia, Kan., for the past two years.
MULL & ZOOK, dealers in staple and fancy groceries, provisions, etc. The firm is composed of E. C. Mull and J. M. Zook. The business was established in March, 1881. They carry a stock of about $4,000, employ two clerks, run two delivery wagons, and do a business of about $40,000 annually. E. C. Mull, senior member of the firm, was born in Iowa City, Iowa, September 23, 1857. His parents moved to Franklin County, Penn., about 1861, and from there to Kansas in 1869. The subject of our sketch was educated in the Lawrence schools. He began his business life in 1872. In 1873, commenced clerking in the grocery business and continued until the present firm was organized. He was married in Lawrence, June 13, 1881, to Miss Ida Spaulding, of that city. They have one son - Lawrence. Mr. Mull is a member of the Baptist Church.
G. H. MURDOCK, dealer in diamonds, watches, clocks, jewelry, etc.; also has in addition a full line of musical instruments and sheet music. Business established in 1879, the music, etc., being added in 1882. G. H. Murdock was born in Woodstock, Vt., August 31, 1845. He was educated in his native town, and there learned the watchmakers' trade. In 1861, he enlisted for three months in the First Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry. In 1862, he again enlisted in the Eighth Squadron, Rhode Island Cavalry, on the one-hundred-day call, serving out his term of enlistment in both commands. In 1865, he removed to New York City, where he worked at his trade until 1874, when he moved to Kansas, settled in Lawrence and worked at his trade until he established his present business. Mr. Murdock is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and the G. A. R.
W. J. NEILL, JR., attorney at law and Justice of the Peace, born in Greene County, Ohio, January 4, 1855, came to Kansas in 1870, and settled in Leavenworth. Commenced reading law in Lawrence, in the office of Nevison & Alford, and was admitted to the bar November 3, 1877, by Judge Stevens. He was connected with the Register of Deeds office for some months, and was appointed Deputy Clerk of the District Courts, a position he retained about two years. Commenced the practice of his profession in Lawrence, in the winter of 1881. Elected Justice of the Peace in 1881. Mr. Neill was married in Lawrence, Kan., April 26, 1882, to Miss Nellie Stewart, daughter of late Col. J. D. Stewart, and a niece of Gen. A. P. Stewart, of Tennessee. Mr. Neill has been Secretary of the Democratic County Committee since 1880. Was candidate for Clerk of the District Court on that ticket, in 1880. He is a member of Haleyon Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F.
OLIF NELSSON, blacksmith. The business has been established only a few years, but has grown so that he is driven with work. Mr. Nelsson was born in Sweden, in 1847. Came to the United States in 1859, and settled in Lawrence, where he has since resided. Beginning as an apprentice, he learned his trade and carries on business, enjoying the confidence of his customers. He was married to Emma Lindell, in 1875. They have two children - Leda, and a babe not yet named.
DR. CARL NEUMANN, proprietor Central Drug Store, business established in 1866, makes a specialty of preparations of his own manufacture. There are some fifteen in number of hospital standard, Austrian formula. He also prepares a special drink, called European Nectar, which took a blue ribbon at the Lawrence fair. This preparation was patented December 22, 1874, and is said to have valuable medical properties. Dr. Carl Neumann, physician and surgeon obstetrician and magister in pharmacy, was born in Tentobroda, Bohemia, Austria. In September, 1881, he commenced his professional studies. In 1838, with the "Brothers of Mercy," of which society he became a member. He studied and practiced medicine, surgery, obstetrics and pharmacy with them in Prague, and practice in the Society Hospital of that city. Some years afterward, in 1849, moved to Vienna, where he graduated in 1851; practiced in the Society Hospital and Pharmacy until 1861, when he came to the United States, and remained a few months in Baltimore, Md., and then settled in practice in Richmond, Va. In 1863, he returned to Baltimore, the same year became connected with St. Vincent's College, at Latrobe, Penn. In 1864, he moved to Kansas, settled in Eudora, where he engaged in practice. The same year he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he entered Pope's College. Graduated in 1865, and returned to Lawrence, Kan.
M. NEWMARK, proprietor Kansas Furnishing Goods House, business established in 1876 by M. Newmark & Co. This continued until 1880, when Mr. N. retired. In 1881, he resumed control of the business. He employs three clerks, carries a stock of about $18,000, and does an annual business of $25,000 to $30,000. M. Newmark, dealer in fancy and staple dry goods and oil cloths. This business was established in 1865. It was operated by Newmark & Co., until 1880. Since that latter date Mr. N. has been alone. He employs five clerks, carries a stock of $40,000, and does a business annually of $40,000 to $50,000. Mr. Newmark was born in New York City, January 2, 1839. He was educated in that city, and learned the jeweler's and watchmaker's trade, which he followed in St. Louis, Mo., from 1853 to 1862. In 1862, he commenced business in Springfield, Mo., in general merchandise, where he continued until 1865, when he settled in Kansas. Mr. Newmark was married in Lawrence, Kan., August 13, 1877, to Miss Nellie Keefe, of that city. They have two children - Winifred M. and Nettie E. Mr. N. is a member of Oread Lodge, No. 798, K. of H. He is also one of the trustees of the Kansas Benevolent Society, of Salina.
WILLIAM W. NEVISON, attorney at law, was born July 19, 1833, in Ashtabula County, Ohio. He was educated in the primary branches in the Rick Creek School, in his native county, and subsequently received a scientific and classical training. He then began the study of law, and was admitted at Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1855, to practice in the Ohio courts. He then engaged in practice; one year later, was elected Secretary of the Union Insurance Company, Jamestown, Penn., a position he held until 1860, when he removed to Painesville, Ohio, and again entered upon the practice of his profession, in partnership with Hon. William L. Perkins. This continued about five years; Mr. Perkins retiring, Mr. Nevison continued in practice alone until 1868, during this time holding the position of Prosecuting Attorney for Lake County four years. In the fall of 1868, he moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, where he immediately engaged in practice. He has been employed in some of the most important civil and criminal cases in Kansas, notably in the bond cases in Douglas County, Terry vs. New York Life Insurance Company for the plaintiff, and the Midlecott murder case for the defense. Is one of the leading attorneys of Kansas. In 1874 he was elected County Attorney for Douglas County, declining a re-election. He was married in Rome, Ohio, July 20, 1856, to Miss Francis A., daughter of Henry R. Arnold, Esq. Mr. N. is a member of De Molay Commandery, Knights Templars. Is also a member of the I. O. O. F. He is a member of the Trinity Episcopal Church of Lawrence.
HON. JOHN Q. A. NORTON, attorney at law, was born in Brown County, Ohio, April 30, 1844. He received a common school education, and a short term at a seminary, his academic education being interrupted by the opening of the civil war. He enlisted September 6, 1862, in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, and was honorably discharged July 4, 1865. Was in a large number of engagements, among them several with Morgan's men in Kentucky, the battle of Richmond, Ky.; Dutton Hill, capture of Cumberland Gap, siege of Knoxville, through all the Atlanta campaign, battle of Franklin, siege of Nashville, and the pursuit of Hood; was in the Wilson raid from Eastport, Miss., to Augusta, Ga.; was in the command that pressed on after Jefferson Davis, and had the pleasure of seeing him immediately after his capture. In 1868, he organized a company, of which he was commissioned Captain, and served in Texas, Kansas, and the Indian Territory, in the Indian campaigns under Gens. Sheridan and Custer. In 1872, he was elected Probate Judge of Douglas County, and was twice re-elected. He has had a large practice in the Supreme Court, and was for several years a director of the St. L., L. & W. R. R., and Secretary of the company.
ARVIN S. OLIN, Assistant Principal of the High School, was born in Clinton County, Iowa, October 19, 1855. His parents settled in Douglas County, Kan., in 1870. The subject of this sketch attended Ottawa University about three years, and finished his studies at the State University, in the latter taking the normal course. During his latter studies, he at the same time engaged in teaching. From 1873 to 1880, his field was located in Osage County. In the latter year, took the position of Principal of the schools at Peabody, Marion County. In the fall of 1880, he moved to Lawrence, and had charge of the Vermont Street School until appointed to his present position in October, 1882. Mr. Olin was married in Lawrence in September, 1882, to Miss Mattie Davis, a teacher in the city schools. Mr. O. is a member of the Lawrence Lodge, No. 193, E. A. U.
FRANK H. OSBORN, Secretary of the Kansas Fruit Vinegar Company, was born in Elmira, N. Y., March 27, 1856. His parents moved to Orange County, N. Y., and, in 1867, to Ohio. In 1870, they settled in Leavenworth County, Kan. His father was a minister in the Presbyterian Church at these places. The subject of this sketch attended Union College at Schenectady, N. Y., for a time, finishing his education at the Kansas State University. From 1875 to 1879, he was engaged in teaching school in Leavenworth County, then engaged in the mercantile business in Lawrence until he bought an interest in the cider mill, which was afterward enlarged into present company. Mr. Osborn is a member of Halcyon Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F., and the E. A. U., of Lawrence.
REV. DR. S. M. OSMOND, D. D., pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, was born in Oxford, Chester County, Penn., August 18, 1825. His father, William Osmond, died in 1835, leaving a large family to provide for themselves. The subject of this sketch in early years engaged in teaching and clerking, pursuing his studies at the same time. He prepared for college partly at the New London and Hopewell Academies; entered the sophomore class at Lafayette College, Penn., in 1848. Passed his junior year at Delaware College, then entered Princeton College, graduating in 1850. He then entered the Princeton Theological Seminary, and graduated in 1853. During his seminary course he preached six months in Zion Church in Maryland. He was licensed in 1852 in New Castle Presbytery. Before leaving the seminary he was called by the United and Second Presbyterian Churches of Amwell, N. J., as co-pastor with Rev. J. Kirkpatrick, D. D. This was his first regular charge, and he was ordained and installed in the Second Presbyterian Church at Amwell, N. J., in June, 1853. Here he remained four years, and, on account of ill-health, determined to remove West. He took charge of two churches in Pike county, Ill., Perry and Pittsfield. In 1862, he accepted a call to the First Presbyterian Church of Iowa City, Iowa. His pastorate began October 1, 1862, and continued until April 1, 1879. During this charge the church membership increased 534. The Sabbath school increased from 100 to 300 members. The total money received aggregated $55,240. In 1873, the Iowa State University conferred upon him the degree of D. D. In April, 1879, he accepted the pastorate of the First Presbyterian Church of Lawrence, to which he had been twice called. Dr. Osmond was married in Oxford, Penn., June 1, 1853, to Miss Louisa P. Marduagh, who died, leaving six children, of whom four survive - Ida K., Elizabeth, Robert M. and Josephine P. He was married at Cedar Falls, Iowa, to Mrs. Harriet (Samson) Lane, a former Superintendent of the public schools of Iowa City, Iowa.