|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (RIGGS - SNYDER).
HON. SAMUEL A. RIGGS, was born in a village of Hanging Rock, Lawrence Co., Ohio, March 1, 1835. He was educated partially at Marietta College, Ohio, and subsequently graduated in 1856, at Jefferson College, Canonsburgh, Penn., where he pursued a regular classical course. Soon after leaving college he began the study of law in the office of Hon. William H. Sterrett, of Pittsburgh, now on Supreme Bench, Pennsylvania. He subsequently graduated in the Cincinnati Law School, and was admitted to the bar in Hamilton County, Ohio, in 1858. In April, 1859, he removed to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence, where he immediately engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1859, he was elected County Attorney for Douglas County. This office was subsequently changed to that of District Attorney, and embraced Douglas, Johnson, Franklin, Anderson, Miami, Allen, Linn and Bourbon Counties. He was elected to this position in 1862, and re-elected in 1864, but on account of impaired health resigned in 1865. In 1866, he was elected to the State Senate from Douglas County, but resigned in 1867, to accept the office of United States District Attorney for the State and District of Kansas. Previous to accepting this post he was appointed by the Governor as one of three Commissioners to revise and codify the civil and criminal codes, and all laws of a general nature. The general statues of 1868 was the result of the labors of the Commission. He was a member of the National Liberal Republican Committee in 1872, and a delegate to the Cincinnati Convention that nominated Horace Greeley for the Presidency, was a candidate for Congress from the State at large on that ticket, and received the full party vote. In 1878, he was elected a Representative in the State Legislature for Douglas County, was appointed Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and a member of the Committee on Railroads; in the latter capacity he drew up and presented the famous Riggs bill, to regulate the railroads of the State. Mr. Riggs was married in Pittsburgh, Penn., December 31, 1861, to Miss Kate, daughter of Hon. Henry Earle, of that city. They have one son - Harry Earle, his home is at Lawrence.
RIGGS & SINCLAIR, real estate and loan agency, they have also a complete set of abstracts of Douglas County, and have the only list of Indian lands in the county, business established in 1866. William T. Sinclair of the above firm was born in Charlestown, Mass., February 23, 1844. His parents moved to New York City about 1846, where he received his education, and engaged in reading law for a time. In August, 1861, he received a commission as Second Lieutenant, finding it impossible to fill up the company he resigned. In August, 1862, he enlisted as private in Company A, Duryeas Zouaves. In June, 1863, he volunteered in the "Forlorn Hope" at Port Hudson, and for this act was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company C, having command of the company the balance of the war. He was engaged in the Port Hudson campaign, Red River campaign and in the Shenandoah Valley campaign. He was mustered out in November, 1865, and returned to New York City. The following year he moved to Kansas, located in Leavenworth for a time, and then established present business. Mr. Sinclair was married in Topeka, Kan., in 1869, to Miss Frank L. Smith, (sic) of that city. They have one child - Isabelle F. Mr. Sinclair is a member of Mont Oread Lodge, No. 798, K. of H.
DR. W. S. RILEY, veterinary surgeon, was born in Plattsburg, N. Y., April 8, 1832. Mr. Riley came to the State in 1867, and settled in Lawrence, where he has since resided, practicing as a veterinary surgeon with great success. He learned the trade of a blacksmith in Watertown, N. Y., when a young man, and now takes pleasure in working over the anvil. He also keeps a drug store in connection with his business. He has invented many useful patent medicines both for man and beast. In 1852, he was married in Detroit, Mich., to Miss Harriett M. Doane.
DAVID H. ROBINSON, A. M., Professor of Latin Language and Literature, Kansas State University, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., June 4, 1836. He received his early schooling in his native county, preparing for college at Eldridge Academy, Onondaga County, N. Y. In 1855, he entered the University of Rochester taking a full classical course, he graduated in 1859 with high honors, delivering the Latin oration at the graduating exercises. The honorary degree of A. M. was conferred in 1862. After leaving college, he engaged in teaching, having charge of an academy in Monroe County two years, and filling the same position about one year in Michigan. In 1865, he removed to Lawrence, Kan.; at the opening of the University he was elected to the chair of Ancient Languages. In 1872, a chair was formed for the Greek Language and Literature, and Prof. Robinson was elected to present department. Prof. Robinson was married in Lawrence, Kan., July 21, 1869, to Miss Henriette, daughter of Rev. I. C. Beach, of Olathe, Kan. They have three children - Ernest F., Harriet E. and George A. The Professor is a member the Baptist Church and of several literary societies in Lawrence.
CHARLES ROSS, proprietor Grand View Hotel, formerly the Durfee House. The house has been lately refitted and improved, passed into present management February 1, 1883. Charles Ross was born in the vicinity of Paris, France, May 9, 1849, his mother at the time being on a visit to her parents. In 1851, his parents settled in Jay County, Ind., where his father engaged in practice of medicine for many years. The subject of our sketch was educated at the graded schools. In December, 1863, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirtieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, he was attached to the Twenty-third Army Corps, and participated in the Atlanta campaign, Nashville campaign, etc., was mustered out in December, 1865, and returned to Three Rivers, Mich., where he engaged in farming until 1867, he then moved to Des Moines, Iowa, to take the position of hotel steward in the Osborn House, holding this position about four years. He then returned to Three Rivers, and remained there connected with the leading hotels until he took the Durfee House, Lawrence, Kan. Mr. Ross was married in Clinton, Douglas Co., Kan., June, 1882, to Miss Ella Banning, of Clinton.
SHELDON C. RUSSELL, a descendant of a family of Russells who settled in Branford, Conn., in the early settlement of this country, was born in Wayne County, Penn., in 1832. Soon after, his parents moved to Bradford County, and from there to Cook County, Ill. At the age of twenty-one, he went to New York City and worked for his uncle in the iron business for two years, and then went to Coudersport, Penn., and there attended the academy and studied law. In the spring of 1856 he went to Kansas, and served through the border war. He was in Lawrence at the time the Free-State hotel was destroyed by the border ruffians on the 21st of May, 1856. Was at the battle of Franklin, and was one of about a dozen who with a load of hay set fire to the rebel fort which burned up the Government post office, and caused about thirty-seven rebels to surrender, and the capture of the "Old Sacramento," a cannon brought from Mexico to Missouri by Col. Doniphan, which was used to take Forts Saunders and Titus, and is now in Lawrence. At the breaking-out of the rebellion in 1861, he enlisted in the Eighth Kansas as First Lieutenant and Adjutant, and was ordered with a battalion of that regiment to Corinth, Miss., and served in the Army of the Cumberland until November 15, 1862, at which time he resigned on receiving a commission from Gov. C. Robinson, as Major in the Thirteenth Kansas, and returned to Lawrence, but never served in the Thirteenth, for the reason the place had been filled by an appointment made by the Secretary of War. He was home in time to be present at the Quantrell raid, and had his house set on fire and narrowly escaped. He finished his law studies in Lawrence, and was admitted to the bar in 1859, and commenced practice, and is now practicing his profession. Mr. Russell was married in 1859, to Miss Rose Jenkins, of Lawrence. They have three children - Adele, Susan P., now Mrs. H. T. Moore, and Mattie J.
J. G. SANDS, wholesale saddler hardware, and manufacturer and dealer in saddles and harness, and proprietor of Sands' saddlery hardware specialties. The business was established by Mr. Sands in 1855. He carries a full stock of harness, saddles, etc., in Lawrence, but his principal manufacturing operations are carried on in Newark, N. J. His main business at this time is the sale of saddlery hardware specialties, of which he controls the patents. His sales extend all over the United States, the shipments for eastern points being made from Newark, N. J., where the factory is located. Mr. Sands was born in Gilbertville, Montgomery County, Penn., August 21, 1833. After learning the harness makers' trade, he started West, in 1851, and located at different points. In 1855, he came to Lawrence, Kan., and the same year rented a building made of poles and covered with shakes. His stock of goods was cleaned out in the raid of the border ruffians in 1856, and again in the Quantrill raid of 1863. He resumed business at once in both instances, and is now doing the leading business in his line. Mr. Sands was married in 1860, to Miss Susie E. Brown, of New Hampshire. They have a family of three sons and two daughters. During the early Kansas days, Mr. Sands took an active part in the conflict then raging between freedom and slavery, on the side of the former; he participated in many of the eventful incidents ending in the downfall of slavery.
GEORGE W. SAVAGE, of the firm of Savage & Lightcap, was born in Chester County, Penn., June 11, 1855. He commenced the machinist's trade at a very early age; when ten years old, he was running a 125 horse-power engine in a Pennsylvania iron works. About 1867, he commenced his regular trade at Reading, Penn. He was employed in large scale works in that city, doing all the large blacksmith work; was afterward, for two years with the Scott Iron Works, his department being on Carliss engines, cotton presses, rolling mill machinery, and other heavy work. In 1877, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence. He was employed by the Kansas Pacific Railroad, making all the tools used on that road. About 1880, he took the same department with the D. & S. P. R. R., at South Park, Col. His particular reason in going to that section of country, being to study the details of mining machinery. In 1882, he returned to Lawrence to organize present business. Mr. Savage was married in Reading, Penn., March 8, 1876, to Miss Julia Hughlett, at native of Virginia. They have one child - Maud H. Mr. S. is a member of the E. A. H., of Lawrence
GEORGE HALE SCOTT, Pastor of Plymouth Congregational Church, was born in Bakersfield, Franklin County, Vt., April 23, 1839. His preparatory studies were pursued at different schools, finishing at East Hampton Academy at Williston, Vt. He then entered Williams College, taking the full course and graduating in 1865. While at College, he engaged in the study of law, and afterward read law with the late Judge Wilson, one of the Supreme Court Judges. He was admitted to the bar in 1866, and the same year began practice at Vergennes, Vt., and continued to practice the profession of law until 1870. He then entered Andover Seminary, in preparation for the ministry, graduating in 1873. He was ordained September 3, 1873. The same year he took charge of the Congregational Church at Plymouth, N. H., where he remained until called to Kansas; took charge of the Plymouth Congregational Church, of Lawrence May 1, 1882..
A. L. SELIG, General Insurance Agent, represent New York Underwriters, Hartford Fire, Connecticut Fire, American Central, British America, Liverpool & London & Globe, Lancashire, Phoenix of London, London Assurance, Fire Association, Merchants of Newark, Pennsylvania Fire, German Travellers Accident and Equitable Life of New York. Business established in 1874. A. L. Selig was born in Hamburg, German, August 6, 1846. He was educated in his native country. In 1858, he emigrated to the United States with his father who located for a short time at Leavenworth, Kan., and then settled in Lawrence. The subject of our sketch went to Belleville, Ill., in 1859, where in September, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Forty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He re-enlisted in 1864 at Memphis, Tenn., in the same regiment. Mr. Selig was with his regiment at the battles of Forts Henry and Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Nashville, and in Bank's expedition up Red River, being in thirty-two engagements in all. On being mustered out at the close of the war, he returned to Lawrence and learned the trade of tinsmith, which business he followed until he established his present business in 1874. Mr. Selig was married in Lawrence February 1, 1868, to Miss Mary F. Park, a native of Indiana. They have four children - Lewis F., John E., Ernest T. and Harry. Mr. Selig is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. He is Secretary of the Lodge, Chapter and Council, and also of the Zerbal Lodge of Perfection, No. 5, A., A. S. R.
J. T. SHANKLIN, Agent of Union Pacific Railroad, was appointed to present position in November, 1881. He was born in Harrisburg, Penn., October 16, 1849. In 1858, his parents moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, where his father, H. Shanklin, Esq., engaged in mercantile business. The subject of our sketch began his railroad life in 1870, in the general offices of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, and continued in this department when the officers were moved to Kansas City, Mo. In 1874, he was appointed Eastern Passenger and Advertising Agent of the Union Pacific Railroad; this continued through 1875. In the latter year he returned to Kansas, to take a position in the office at Lawrence. In 1880, he was appointed agent at Solomon City, which position he retained until placed in present position. Mr. Shanklin was married in Lawrence in November, 1878, to Miss Deal, daughter of J. W. Deal, Esq., the Assistant General Baggage Agent of the Union Pacific Railroad.
OSBORNE SHANNON, editor and publisher of the Kansas Weekly Gazette. The subject of this sketch was born in Denver, Ross County, Ohio, February 7, 1842, living with his parents until 1857. He moved with them to the then wilds of Kansas, and located at Lecompton. His father, Gov. Wilson Shannon, who had removed to this State two years previous, was appointed Governor of the Territory, September 7, 1855, and continued in the office till August 18, 1856. His son, Osborne, inheriting his father's propensities, determined to follow the profession of law, and after graduating at the Franklin College, Ohio, he returned and commenced the study of law. In the fall of 1863, he was admitted to the bar, and commenced the practice of his profession at Lawrence. In 1871, he married the estimable daughter of the Hon. James De Long, of Ohio, and opened a law office in Southern Kansas, where he remained two years. Returning to Lawrence in 1873, he formed a law partnership with his father, which existed until the death of the latter. As an active politician for the last twenty years, he has identified himself with the Democratic party. In September, 1882, he established the Kansas Weekly Gazette, a Democratic organ that is fast increasing in favor with the reading public.
SHELLER & HUSTON, dealers in staple and fancy groceries and provisions. The firm is composed of E. M. Sheller and W. T. Huston; they succeeded C. P. Baker, November 1, 1882. E. M. Sheller, of the above firm, was born near Hagerstown, Md., June 3, 1813; when an infant, his parents moved to Montgomery County, Ohio, where he was brought up and engaged in farming until 1838, when he moved to Stephenson County, Ill., where he pre-empted a claim, and remained there, and engaged in farming until 1882. Mr. Sheller has been married three times. His first wife was a Miss Lettice Kimbel from Pennsylvania, to whom he was married in Clark County, Ohio, in 1838, by whom he had five children - Mary, now Mrs. Aumon; Jane, now Mrs. Dann; Julia, now Mrs. A. Cary; Harriet, now Mrs. W. T. Huston; Lydia, now Mrs. Thomas Watson. He was married again in Freeport, Ill., in 1872, to Mrs. Helen Maxwell, from Connecticut, who died, leaving one child, Maud. He was married to his present wife, in Streeter, Ill., in 1882. She was Miss Lydia B. Moore, formerly of Albany, N. Y.
C. W. SMITH, of the firm of Bailey & Smith, was born in Portage County, Ohio, December 7, 1832. In 1846, he left home, and located in Troy, N. Y., where he learned the carpenter's trade. About 1850, he moved to Lowell, Mass., where he became connected with the cotton manufacture, and continued in this business until 1854. He then moved to Kansas, settling in Douglas County in September of that year. He became a member of the first town company, and also pre-empted a farm, operating the latter until after the Quantrill raid. He then moved into the city and engaged in carpentering until the firm was organized of which he is now a member. During the early troubles, he was connected with different Free-State organizations. Mr. Smith was married in Lawrence April 14, 1864, to Miss Jane E., eldest daughter of Col. Samuel Walker, of Lawrence. They have five children - May L., Alice, Maud, Mabel and Gertrude. He is a member of the Congregational Church. He is at present, and has been for the past seven years, a member of the City Council.
HERBERT S. S. SMITH, C. E., Professor of Astronomy and Physics, Kansas State University, was elected in 1878, and took the chair in January, 1879. He was born in Elizabeth, N. J., May 31, 1857. Having received his preparatory education in the schools of that city, he entered Princeton College, in 1874, and graduated in 1878 with the degree of civil engineer. In 1878, he was a member of the Princeton Eclipse Expedition, under Prof. C. A. Young, stationed at Denver, Col.
PROF. FRANCIS H. SNOW, M. A. Ph. D. Professor of Natural History, Kansas State University, was born in Fitchburg, Mass., June 29, 1840, and is the son of Benjamin and Mary (Boutelle) Snow, of Massachusetts. He finished his preparatory studies in the high school of his native town, and in 1858 entered the freshman class in Williams College, and after a four years' classical course graduated from that institution in 1862 with the highest honors, being allotted the valedictory address. While a student at Williams he devoted special attention to the study of botany and zoology, and has received from that college the degrees of B. A., M. A. and Ph. D. After leaving college, he engaged in teaching and was one year Principal of the Fitchburg High School. In January, 1864, he entered Andover Seminary with the design of still further fitting himself for a teach or professorship. In 1866, he graduated from Andover, and the same year entered the Kansas State University as Professor; since then, he has devoted special attention to entomology, ornithology, botany and climatology, as applied to Kansas and the New West; he has discovered about 200 new species of insects of all orders, the most extensive being the lepidoptera and coleoptera, one dozen specimens being name in honor of the discoverer. The present cabinet contains 75,000 specimens, 10,000 species. Prof. Snow has completed a catalogue of the birds of Kansas, describing 305 varieties, and has also published a catalogue of the insects of Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico; he has been for five years President of the Kansas Academy of Science; he is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a member of the New York Entomological Society, of the Davenport Academy of Science, and of the Boston Zoological Society. He is also one of the editors of the Psyche, the organ of the Cambridge Entomological Club, of which club he is an active member. Prof. Snow was married in Andover, Mass., July 8, 1868, to Miss Jennie A. Aiken, granddaughter of President Appleton, of Bowdoin College, sister of ex-President Aiken, of Union College, now Professor in Princeton, and niece of Prof. Packard in Bowdoin College. Prof. and Mrs. Snow have five children - William Appleton, born June 21, 1869; Martha Boutelle, born September 10, 1870; Mary Margaret, born August 10, 1872; Edith Huntington, born September 12, 1875, and Francis Lawrence, born December 18, 1882. Prof. Snow is a member and officer of the Plymouth Congregational Church of Lawrence. Although he has often been tendered chairs in Eastern colleges with increased salary, he has refused them, believing that the West offers the scientist a larger field for research and discovery.
N. SIMMONS, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Piqua, Ohio, March 21, 1828. He received his education in his native place, and commenced his professional studies in 1850, under the tuition of Dr. Kitzmiller, continuing in his office about six months. He then entered the office of Dr. Beamor, in Fletcher, Miami County. He attended a course at the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, in 1852. He then engaged in practice in Union City, Ind. where he remained about two years. After attending another course of lectures in Cincinnati, he returned to Union City, and practiced until 1864; he then entered the Eclectic Medical Institute in Cincinnati taking a full course, at the same time attending clinical lectures at the Commercial Hospital. He graduated February 15, 1865, with the degree of M. D. He then engaged in practice in Union City, Ind., until June, 1868, when he removed to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, where he has since been engaged in practice. Soon after settling in Lawrence, Dr. Simmons purchased a farm of 240 acres in Jefferson County, which he is engaged in operating. He planted thirty acres in fruit trees in 1869 - apple, peach, pear, plum and cherry trees of the finest varieties being well represented in his selection. His fruit crop for 1882, will aggregate 3,000 bushels. Dr. Simmons was married in Fletcher, Ohio, April 9, 1857, to Miss E. A. Toms, of that place, where her father yet lives, at the ripe age of ninety-four years. They have three children - Charles J., graduate of State University of the class of 1882, now studying medicine; Frank T., graduate of the Lawrence Business College, and Henry A. Dr. Simmons is now serving his third term as President of the Eclectic Medical society, of Kansas. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F., and was Grand Worthy Chief Templar of Indiana in 1859.
H. J. SNYDER, dealer in liquors, cigars, tobaccos, etc. The business was established in January, 1866, and Mr. S. has since continued to operate it with the exception of short intervals. He was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, March 3, 1843; his parents emigrated to the United States the same year, and located in Buffalo, N. Y. In 1855, they settled in Cleveland, Ohio. The subject of this sketch attended school in both cities and afterward learned the trade of blacksmith, and followed it in Cleveland until 1863; from 1863 to 1865 he was in the Government service at Chattanooga, Tenn. In the latter year, he returned to Cleveland, and shortly afterward settled in Lawrence, Kan. Since his residence here, he was for a time in the employ of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, in the blacksmithing department. Mr. Snyder, was married in Lawrence, January 31, 1876, to Miss Mollie Stewart, of this city. They have three children - Maud, Zella M., and Harry. Mr. S. is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.