|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HASKELL - HUTCHINGS).
HON. DUDLEY C. HASKELL. So far as is now ascertainable, this family had its origin in the province of Auglise, in ancient Saxony. The name of the family at this early day was spelled "Hieskel." From Saxony, the family migrated to Scotland, where numbers of them still reside, spelling the name as do those now living in America. The first settlement by any of the Haskell family was made in Massachusetts, in 1635, at Gloucester or Beverly. In 1708, Roger Haskell left Beverly and purchased an extensive tract of land near Norwich, Conn., where many of his descendants still reside. His son Elijah subsequently removed to Tolland, Conn. He served in the Revolutionary war, as did also his son Elijah - the latter of whom was killed at the battle of Trenton, and the former of whom died soon after leaving the army, of hardships and exposures which had compelled his retirement therefrom. Upon his widow, whose maiden name was Sarah Read, devolved the responsibility of rearing and educating her family of seven children - five boys and two girls. She kept the elder ones upon the farm, and apprenticed the younger ones to trades. Soon all were able to care for themselves, and when the proper time came, Mrs. Haskell, in 1780, rode up the Connecticut River on horseback, and purchased a farm near Weathersfield, Vt., and returned for her five sons, who all bought farms in the same vicinity. The five boys and one of the girls settled in the same school district, and subsequently, in a school of about ninety pupils, thirty-two of the pupils were the children of these six. One of these thirty-two was Franklin Haskell, the father of Dudley C. Soon after the birth of Dudley, Franklin Haskell left Vermont, and settled in Massachusetts, whence, in 1854, soon after the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska bill, he moved to Kansas, and settled near Lawrence, upon the land still owned by the family. Mrs. Haskell, the mother of Dudley, previous to her marriage with Franklin Haskell, was Miss Almira Chase, a member of the well-known New England family of that name. Mrs. Haskell moved to Kansas in 1855, bringing with her Dudley C., then thirteen years of age. He was born in Springfield, Vt., March 23, 1842. Witnessing the early struggles between slavery and liberty in Kansas, the spirit of the man that was in him soon began to manifest itself. As an incident of his youthful courage, the following is related: An armed Pro-slavery man approached his father and attempted to compel compliance with certain demands, by means of a cocked revolver. Young Dudley quickly brought out of the house the old musket already loaded, and leveling it at the head of his father's assailant, promptly brought about a cessation of hostilities. When not engaged in the more important work of aiding to defend his father's or some neighbor's home, he attended school a portion of the time in a building standing on the present site of Miller's Hall, and a portion of the time in the basement of the Unitarian Church. In January, 1857, his father died, and upon the arrival from the East of his elder brothers, to care for their mother and the family affairs, he went to Springfield, Vt., to attend school, remaining there until 1858, when he returned to Lawrence. In the spring of 1859, he went to Colorado, where he prospected for more than two years, gaining considerable valuable experience, but very little gold. In 1861, he returned to Kansas, and entered the army of the Union, as "Master of Transportation" in the Quartermaster's department. As master of transportation, he became chief of foraging parties. In charge of ambulance and ammunition trains, he was present at the battles of Newtonia, Cane Hill and Prairie Grove. In every position in which he was placed, his conduct was that of a cool, intrepid and courageous man. At the termination of a long campaign in Arkansas, in January, 1863, Mr. Haskell retired from the army, and entered Williston Seminary, in East Hampton, Mass. After successfully completing a preparatory course in the seminary, he entered Yale College, and completed a scientific course there in November, 1865. He now returned once more to Lawrence, Kan., and engaged in merchandising. While so engaged, he devoted his leisure hours to the study of political economy, and to those social problems which underlie our national polity, and soon found himself locally in the front rank of political opponents. In 1872, he was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives, and was re-elected in 1875, and in 1876. During this year, he was elected Speaker of the House. In the fall of 1876, he was elected to the forty-fifth Congress, from the Second Congressional District of Kansas, by a majority of 4,680. In 1878, he was re-elected to Congress, as also in 1880 and 1882. As a public man, he is very popular, and as a public speaker, strong, logical and convincing. Mr. Haskell's physical constitution is exceptionally fine and strong. He is six feet three inches high, and weights, when in full health, 210 pounds. His distinguished exterior lends to his oratorical efforts an effectiveness rarely excelled. Mr. Haskell was married, at Stockbridge, Mass., in December, 1865, to Miss Hattie M. Kelsey, a descendant of that distinguished New England divine, Cotton Mather. Mrs. Haskell is a lady of exceptional culture and accomplishments. They have had three children, two daughters and one son. The son died in infancy. Mr. Haskell is a member and an officer of the Plymouth Congregational Church at Lawrence, of which his father was one of the founders, and is an active and exemplary Christian.
WILBUR M. HAYES, Principal of Phonographic Department, Lawrence Business College, was born in Granby, Conn., February 9, 1847. His parents moved to Granville, Ohio, in 1857, and there he received an education in the graded and high schools. In 1864, he enlisted in the United States Navy, and was attached to the Mississippi squadron until the close of the war. In 1866, he commenced the study of phonography; he afterward followed up the study as an amateur, occasionally making special reports, etc., when consistent with his business of school teaching, until 1880, when he moved to Chicago, where he engaged at the profession of stenography in railroad offices and mercantile establishments until July, 1882, when he moved to Lawrence to take a position as stenographer in the general freight and passenger office of the K. C., L. & S. K. R. R. In October, 1882, he took charge of the phonographic department of the college.
J. K. HEMPHILL, of the firm of G. R. Gould & Co., was born in Allegany County, N. Y., February 1, 1852. About 1855, his parents moved to Jefferson County, Wis., where J. K. was educated, and followed the business of farming. In 1879, he moved to Kansas and took charge of the branch house of G. R. Gould & Co. Under firm name of Hemphill & Gould, at Harlan, Smith Co., Kan., where he remained until the business was concentrated in Lawrence. In 1881, during his residence in Smith County, he was a member of the Republican Central committee of that county. Mr. Hemphill was married in Waukesha, Wis., August 10, 1875, to Miss Ada F. Howard, of Waukesha. They have one daughter, Daisy May.
H. W. HENDERSON, manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddlery, etc. The business was established in 1876, by Mr. H. He now employs four men, and cash sales for 1882 were nearly $8,000. He was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., August 29, 1849. His parents moved to St. Paul, Minn., about 1856, and from there to Ohio. H. W. Learned the harness-making trade in Cincinnati, Ohio, commencing at the age of fourteen years. During the war he was connected with the Quartermaster's Department at Nashville, Tenn., for a time, then returned to Cincinnati, and finished his trade. The family moved to Michigan, and shortly afterward to Kansas City, Mo. In 1867, they settled in Johnson County, Kan., where the subject of our sketch resided while engaged at his trade in Kansas City. During 1874-75, he was engaged in business at Springhill, Johnson County, thence moved to Lawrence in 1876. Mr. Henderson was married in Johnson County, Kan., to Miss Belle House, of that county. They have three children - Howard, Clarence and Leroy. He is a member of Halcyon Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F.
D. L. HOADLEY, dealer in real estate and loans; the business was established in 1871. He engaged in a general brokerage business, dealing in city and county property. He was born in Livingston County, N. Y., November 27, 1831. His parents moved to Erie County, Penn., about 1842, where he received his education. He commenced his business life about 1852, as a clerk in mercantile establishments. In 1858, he moved to Kansas and settled in Doniphan County, where he engaged in the sale of merchandise in the town of Elwood. In 1862, he returned to Pennsylvania, engaging in wholesale grocery business in Erie, remaining until 1869. In the latter year he returned to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence. He was married in Erie County, Penn., in 1857, to Miss Susan M. Beardsley, of Brockport, N. Y. They have four children - Willard I., Nellie L., Clarance R. and Eva M.
A. G. HONNOLD, Register of Deeds, Douglas County, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, April 20, 1837. He was born and raised on a farm, and educated in his native county. In 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Ninety-seventh Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was connected with the Army of the Cumberland. He was severely wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge, and after recovery was attached to the Ordnance Department at division headquarters. At the close of the war, he returned to Ohio and resumed farming. In October, 1869, he went to Kansas, looking up a location, and in January, 1870, settled in Lawrence, where he opened a fire insurance office. In 1874, he was appointed to a position in the County Treasurer's office, where he remained until elected to present position, in November, 1879. Was re-elected in November, 1881. Mr. Honnold was married in Muskingum County, Ohio, February 22, 1866, to Miss M. J. Darner, of that county. They have one child living - Arri B. Mr. H. is a Quartermaster Sergeant in Washington Post, No. 12, G. A. R.
BENJAMIN F. HOPPER, wagon-maker, came into the State in 1854, and settled in North Lawrence, where he has since resided. Established his present business in 1881. Mr. B. F. Hopper was born in Kentucky November 16, 1833, and there lived until two years previous to coming to Kansas; he lived in Missouri. When Sterling Price made his celebrated raid into Kansas, Mr. H. joined the State militia in helping repel and drive him from the State, marching as far as Independence, Mo.; engaged in the battles of the Little and Big Blue Rivers. Mr. H. has been twice married, to Nancy Miller in 1856, and in 1863 to Eliza J. Seaman, of Lawrence. He has five children living - Ruth, Isadore, Hattie, Maggie and Harry. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. And a Past Vice Grand.
DR. S. O. HIMOE, the present head of the firm of S. O. Himoe & Co., extensive manufacturers of patent medicines at Lawrence, came to the State in March, 1857, and engaged in the practice of medicine in Bourbon County until September, 1861, when he entered the Union army as Assistant Surgeon of the Sixth Regiment of Kansas Volunteers. In November of the same year, he was commissioned Surgeon of the Fifteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, by the lamented War Governor of Wisconsin, Harvey, who perished at Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn. He served during the war in connection with his regiment at the siege and capture of Island No. 10, during the Buell campaign in Kentucky, in the fall of 1862, and during the entire career of the Army of the Cumberland, doing duty on the field in the battles of Chaplin Hills and Perryville, Stone River and Chickamauga. Dr. Himoe held important positions as Surgeon-in-Chief of brigade, division, field and general hospital, and is probably the only volunteer army surgeon in Kansas whose current reports, on file in the archives of the medical department of the army, including his reports after the battles of Stone River and Chickamauga, are published in Part I. Medical volume, "containing reports of Medical Directors," of the "Medical and Surgical History of the War," published by act of Congress, under the direction of the Surgeon General. At the close of the war, Dr. Himoe located in Fort Scott, but after a year's successful private practice, removed to Lawrence and engaged in the manufacture and sale of patent medicines. His preparations, especially the Peruvian Tonic, Pulmonic Elixir, Carbolic Liniment, Blackberry Cordial, and Cathartic Pills, are extensively sold in nearly all the States and Territories west of the Mississippi River. Dr. Himoe is still in the prime of life, possessing a remarkably robust constitution and active mind, giving promise of many years of usefulness in his chosen line of business.
DR. LEVI HORNER, proprietor of Lawrence Dental Rooms. Business established by Horner & Ridgeway in 1880; Dr. Ridgeway retired in the same year. Levi Horner was born in West Newton, Marion Co., Ind., December 8, 1855. He was educated in his native place. In 1876, he moved to Baxter Springs, Kan., remaining there until 1880. He then settled in Lawrence, and established his present business. Dr. Horner was married in Lawrence October 9, 1879, to Miss Lindlay, daughter of Alfred Lindlay, Esq.
J. HOUSE, dealer in clothing and gents' furnishing goods. The business was established in 1862, by Mr. House. He occupies a store 25x100 feet, employs four clerks, and carries a stock of about $30,000. He also has a half interest in the clothing house of A. L. & J. House, Topeka, Kan., where they engage also in merchant tailoring. Jacob House was born in Leipnik, Austria, August 18, 1833. He was educated in his native town. At the age of fifteen, he left home and entered a mercantile house in Bohemia, where he remained four years. He then emigrated to the New West Landing in New York, in 1854. Remaining in the city only a few months, he located in Lake County, Ohio. Two years later, he removed to St. Louis, Mo. He was engaged in clerking in both places. In 1859-60, he established business in Hempstead, Tex., in general merchandising. In April, 1861, having previously sold out his stock of goods, he engaged in the purchase of hides, and accompanied the shipment North. The breaking-out of the war changed his plans, and he engaged in business in St. Louis, Mo. In April, 1862, he removed to Lawrence, where he has since engaged in the clothing trade. Mr. House was married in Lawrence, October 15, 1865, to Miss Ricca Schloss, a native of Bavaria. They have seven children - Mary, Rachel, Robert, Arthur, Clara, Hattie and Charles H.
DR. H. W. HOWE, dentist, was born in Athens, Ohio, February 16, 1842, where he received his education. He commenced the study of his profession in the office of his father, a practicing dentist of that city. In 1862, he enlisted in the United States navy, serving about three years on the gunboats on the Western rivers. In 1865, he enlisted in the Eleventh Indiana Zouaves, and served until the close of the war. He then returned to Ohio, and engaged in practice in Beverly. Shortly afterward he settled in Chillicothe, where he remained in the practice of his profession until 1875. During his residence here (Chillicothe), he organized the "Sill Guards," a militia company, which he commanded during his residence there. He then removed to Lawrence, Kan., and opened an office. In 1880, he went to Colorado, in mining speculations, etc., returning to Lawrence and re-opening his office January 1, 1883. He was married in Beverly, Washington Co., Ohio, May 6, 1868, to Miss Olive, daughter of Dr. Reynolds, of Beverly. They have two children - Lloyd R. and Hannah. The Doctor is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
D. B. HUNNICUTT, President of the Kansas Fruit Vinegar Company, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, March 19, 1842. He was educated at Earlham College, Richmond, Ind., and Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Seventy-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was attached to the Twentieth Army Corps, and took part in the battles of Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, and then in the march to the sea; through the grand review at Washington, D. C. He returned to Ohio, and engaged in farming and merchandising. In the winter and spring of 1874, he taught the public schools of Van Buren, Ark. In the following summer, he moved with his family to Jasper County, Mo., where he and his wife were engaged in teaching until January, 1876, when they moved to Jackson County, Mo., and located on a farm near Lee's Summit. In 1880, he established a cattle ranch in Kingman County, Kan. While operating this, he still resided in Jackson County, Mo. In the spring of 1882, he settled with his family in Lawrence, and became connected with the present company. Mr. H. was married in Greenfield, Ind., August 30, 1867, to Miss Rebecca S. Oren, of Grant County, Ind. They have one child, Gertrude. Mr. Hunnicutt is a member of the Quaker Church, and of the F. & A. M., of Yellow Springs, Ohio.
HON. JOHN HUTCHINGS, attorney at law, was born at Caroline, Tompkins Co., N. Y., December 31, 1836. He was well educated in the common schools, and finished his classical studies in Waverly Institute and in Starkey Seminary, New York. He studied law with Hon. F. D. Wright, at Waverly, Tioga Co., N. Y., was admitted to the bar at Binghampton, May 10, 1860, and practiced law at Waverly until June, 1863, when he moved to Kansas, settling in Lawrence on the 13th of that month. He at once opened a law office in partnership with E. V. Banks, under the style of Hutchings & Banks. This firm was dissolved about two years later. Since that time, he has been engaged in the practice of his profession with marked success. Taking a deep interest in education, he was for several years a member of the School Board of the city of Lawrence. In 1870, he was elected County Attorney for Douglas County, in this position making a reputation as one of the ablest of public prosecutors. In politics, Mr. Hutchings has always been an anti-slavery man, and since he was old enough to participate in elections has acted with the Republican party. He is not only a great legal student, but has given much thought and study to theological, philosophical and scientific subjects. He takes a deep interest in questions of social science, and has devoted much time to the investigation of problems connected with the proper management of prisons and asylums. He was married in Tioga County, N. Y., August 7, 1861, to Miss Josephine E. Hoyt, daughter of Ira Hoyt, Esq. They have had four children, of whom two survive, Josephine E. and Helen M.