|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FUEL - HASE).
HENRY FUEL, shoe-maker, was born in Osceola, Mo., April 22, 1840, and was sold into slavery at the age of four years, and taken to Bates County, Mo., where he remained with his owner, Col. Douglass, until 1861, when he, with others, was taken to Texas. There he remained until 1866, learning his trade. He came to Kansas in 1866, worked as a journeyman until 1868, when he went into business for himself, since which time, by his skill and industry, he has won for himself a good class of customers. Mr. Fuel is a member of the A. Y. M. lodge and is its Treasurer, and is also a member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, and one of the Board of Trustees.
DR. H. SETH GARDNER, homoeopathic physician and surgeon, is a native of Illinois. His preliminary education was received in the public schools of Jacksonville, Ill. He then spent some time in the Wesleyan University at Bloomington, Ill. He then returned to the Illinois College, at Jacksonville. After leaving college, he began the study of medicine with Dr. J. P. Willard, at that place. During the winter of 1879-80, he attended medical lectures at the Homoeopathic Medical College of St. Louis. During the next year, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and graduated at the Homoeopathic Medical College of that place the following spring. The following fall located in Lawrence, Kan.
CHARLES F. GARRETT, City Assessor, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., June 7, 1831. His parents afterward settled in Medina, Ohio, where he was educated and in 1846 commenced type setting with John Speer, with whom he moved to Kansas in 1854, landing in Lawrence November 1, of that year. Here he was connected with the Tribune until 1856, when the office was destroyed. He then went into seasoning lumber under the firm name of Garrett & Green. In the fall of 1856, he joined the Free-State Volunteers, and continued under Gen. Lane until 1858. In that year he returned to Lawrence and was connected with printing offices there until the breaking-out of the war. In May, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the First Kansas Regiment; was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant of Company D, and commissioned First Lieutenant and assigned as Quartermaster of the regiment August 10, 1861. April 24, 1862, he was commissioned Captain and A. Q. M., and assigned to Gen. Mitchell's division; continued to hold this position until 1864, when he resigned and returned to Lawrence to look after his private matters. He then engaged in the real estate business. In 1865 and 1866, he was Commissioner for the removal of the Wichita Indians to Texas. In 1869-70, he was engaged in mining operations in Oregon and California. In 1880, Mr. Garrett became interested in mines in Colorado, and is now superintendent of the Manhattan & San Juan Mining Company, of New York and Colorado. Mr. Garrett was married in Fort Scott, Kan., December 25, 1869, to Miss Fanny M., daughter of Dr. Osbim, a prominent physician of Fort Scott. They have two children living - Albert O. and Annie M.
GLEASON & WHITMAN, real estate, loan and general insurance agents. The business was established by Noyes & Gleason in 1879. The present firm was organized January 1, 1883. They deal in both city and county property, loaning money on real estate exclusively. In insurance they represent the American of Philadelphia, Commercial Union and Phenix of Brooklyn. F. Gleason, senior member of the firm, was born in Cheshire County, N. H., April 20, 1824. He was educated in his native county, and after leaving school was engaged in clerking until 1844, when he moved to Baltimore, Md., where he established himself in the manufacture of soda water, etc. About 1846, he moved to Pittsburgh, Penn., where he continued the same business. Two years later he sold out and returned to New Hampshire. In 1850, he located in Rochester, N. Y., where he resumed his manufacturing business, and continued until he moved to Kansas. He landed in Lawrence May 7, 1857, and immediately took a claim in the southwestern part of Douglas County, which he afterward pre-empted, and continued to reside on his farm until 1863. In that year he moved to Lawrence, having been appointed United States Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue, an office he retained until about 1869 or 1870. Shortly afterward, he associated himself in partnership with J. N. Roberts in the manufacture of woodenware. His next active business in the city was the organization of the firm of Noyes & Gleason, in the interim being interested in Colorado mines, spending several summers in that region. At the time of the Quantrell raid he was living opposite Gen. Lane's residence, and was awakened by the firing. His wife, eldest daughter and son were in the country at the time, his two youngest daughters being with him. These he dressed and sent to Mrs. Hoyt's, a neighbor, for safe keeping. He then buckled on his revolver and sallied out into the street. At the distance of two blocks he could see the enemy riding through the streets and looking up at the site of the windmill saw a man shot and fall into the cellar of the mill. He then made a flank movement to the residence of J. S. Brown, where he found some twenty-five or more fugitives. After remaining there an hour or two he returned to a cornfield for concealment and shortly afterward went down town in time to see the rear guard of the retreating enemy going out of town. Mr. Gleason was married in Jeffrey, Cheshire Co., N. H., in 1849, to Miss Mary F. Foster. They have three children living - Lucy E., now Mrs. R. K. Tabor; Mary A. and Sopha F., now Mrs. William P. Cobb. Mr. Gleason held the office of County Commissioner of Douglas County, some eight years, the greater part of the time being Chairman of the Board. Was elected Mayor of the city of Lawrence in 1873.
JEREMIAH H. GLATHART, auctioneer and dealer in carriages, buggies, etc. He was born May 5, 1836, in Carroll County, Ohio. He was reared on a farm. At the age of eighteen he determined to strike out for himself, and engaged in teaching school and selling goods until he was of age. He moved to Hancock County, Ohio, with his parents, in 1838, and in February, 1857, he moved to Kansas, taking a claim near Willow Springs, and for two or three months worked alternately on it and on neighboring farms. He then moved to Lawrence, where he secured a position in a brick yard at $50 per month. In this latter business he did not long continue, exchanging his claim for a grocery and bakery, which he conducted about eighteen months. During this time he also did business as an auctioneer, which has been his general occupation, and in which he has been very successful, being one of the most humorous and efficient auctioneers in Kansas. In 1860, he went to the Rocky Mountains, where he spent three years in trading, etc. In 1870, he entered into partnership with R. W. Sparr, and purchased 220 head of Texas cattle. This proved an unfortunate venture. Large numbers of them perished in the severity of the winters. Not dismayed by his failure, he went to Texas and bought a large drove of cattle which he drove to Kansas, in the latter venture making a success. Shortly after this he was employed by the Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad to direct the carrying trade in Texas cattle from the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad to the Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. In this work he was very successful, turning every drove from Pierce City, then the terminus of the Atlantic & Pacific to Baxter Springs, on the Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. He also dealt extensively in stock on his own account, and has dealt largely in real estate in addition to his regular business. During the Price raid Mr. Glathart volunteered and was captured by Tod's pickets and taken before Gen. Price, who released him on parole. He was married, October 12, 1865, to Miss Emily M. Thompson. They have had six children. One son and one daughter survive.
E. B. GOOD, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, provisions, etc.; business established in 1866 by himself. Has had partners at times, but has been alone in business the most of the time. He employs three clerks, and carries about $3,500, and does a business of $25,000 annually. E. B. Good was born in Madison County, Ill., October 19, 1832; he was educated in his native county. In 1857-58, he was engaged in real estate speculations in Minnesota. In the spring of 1866, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence. He was married in Madison County, Ill., November 27, 1861, to Miss Arilda Dunnagan, of that county. They have three children - Ora L., Wilber and Edwin. Mr. Good is a charter member of the Acacia Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M.; is also a member of the subordinate lodge and encampment, Grand Lodge of the I. O. O. F.
G. R. GOULD, of the firm of G. R. Gould & Co., was born in Racine County, Wis., September 10, 1843; when six years of age, he was bound out to a family in Rock County, Wis., and remained there engaged in farming until 1862. In that year, he enlisted in the Thirteenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry for three years; veteranized in 1864; during 1862 and 1863 was on duty in Kansas; after Johnston's surrender in 1865, was stationed in Texas. In the fall of 1865, was mustered out in Wisconsin, and the following year he settled in Lawrence, Kan. where he organized the present business. Mr. Gould was married in Rock County, Wis., in November, 1866, to Miss Annie M. Macomber, of Rock County. They have three children - Charles R., Ada and Grace. Mr. Gould has been a prominent member of the School Board several terms, he also served on the City Council; he is a member of Lawrence Lodge and Mount Oread Encampment, I. O. O. F.
A. J. GRAY, liveryman, was born on Broad River, South Carolina, May 16, 1820, and was owned by his father as a slave till the age of fourteen. At the death of his father, he fell into the hands of other parties. He left Tennessee in 1836, and settled in Washington County, Kan., near the county seat. He ran away in 1846, going back to Giles County, Tenn., where he was married February 3, 1848, to Miss Agnes, daughter of John and Elsie Bunn. They have had nine children, three of whom are living - Curren C., born November 9, 1851; May, November 19, 1856; Willie, September 9, 1859. He went to Columbus, Ohio, in 1864; remained there seventeen years; then came to Kansas in the year 1881, and settled in Lawrence. Mr. and Mrs. Gray and their two sons belong to the a. M. E. Church; May belongs to the Baptist Church. Mrs. Gray's mother lived to be over one hundred years old. Mr. Gray has been industrious, and accumulated a good property.
ALEX GREGG, shoe-maker, came to this State in 1862, and settled in Lawrence, and at once established business which has been successful. Mr. Gregg was born in Kentucky, March 20, 1824, of a slave mother; his father, whose name he bears, was his owner. He was taken to Missouri in 1851, and there lived until coming to Kansas. He has been three times married, and is the father of eleven children - Sarah, Andrew, Lucinda, Alex., Mary, Albert, John, Clara, Nellie, Mabel and Grattan. Mr. Gregg is a member of a lodge A. Y. M., and its Treasurer. He is also Deacon in the Second Baptist Church.
HON. HENRY M. GREENE, Superintendent of the Asylum for Feeble Minded Children, took his present position September 1, 1881, at the opening of the institution. He is a native of Norwich, Conn., where he was born October 14, 1833. In 1837, his parents located in McLean County, Ill., and moved to Woodford County about 1850, where Henry received his schooling at an academy in Metamora. In 1854, he went to Wisconsin, and entered lands in what is now West Eau Claire, also surveying pine woods on the Eau Claire and Black Rivers. In 1856, he returned to Illinois, and entered the canvass as public speaker for Fremont. In 1857, he moved to Kansas and settled in Osage County, where he located a claim. In 1863, he became connected with the State militia, first as a private, then Lieutenant; in the spring of 1864, was elected Lieutenant Colonel of the Second Regiment Kansas State Militia, which he held when the regiment was overpowered by Shelby's men at Westport, Mo., October 22, 1864, and he was severely wounded while endeavoring to re-form the regiment. In 1869, he settled in Lecompton, Douglas County, where he took charge of the United Brethren Church. Was elected State Senator from Douglas County in 1876, and, during both sessions of his term, was Chairman of the Committee on Education. From September, 1879, until he took charge of the asylum, he had charge of the Presbyterian Church at La Cygne, Kan. Mr. Greene was married in Osage County, Kan., January 24, 1860, to Miss Margaret Monogue, a native of New York State. They have four children living - Edward E., Henry M., Jr., Hiel B. and Frederick H. Mr. G. has been for three years a minister in the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of Halcyon Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F., of Lawrence, Kan.
JAMES W. GREEN, Dean of the Law Department Kansas State University, and attorney at law, was appointed Dean of the Law Department at its formation, and has since retained the office. Mr. Green was born in Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y., April 4, 1842. His academical and preparatory studies were pursued at the Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., and the Academy at Cambridge, Mass. He then entered Williams College, taking the full course, and graduated in 1866. After teaching school a few months, he commenced reading law at Elmira, N. Y., in June, 1869. In January, 1870, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Olathe, where he commenced practice in partnership with Judge A. S. Deranny, where he remained until 1877, in which year he removed to Lawrence, and has since been actively engaged in practice. Mr. Green was married in Lawrence, In December, 1875, to Miss Mary, daughter of Hon. N. T. Stevens. Mr. Green was elected County Attorney at Olathe in 1874, and was elected to the same office in Douglas County in 1878. He is now candidate of the Democratic ticket for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., of Elmira, N. Y.
HON. GEORGE W. E. GRIFFITH, President Merchants' Bank, was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., December 2?, 1833. He was educated in Mount Pleasant College, Westmoreland County, Penn. In 1855, he moved to Kansas, locating on a claim in Franklin County, near Prairie City, where he engaged in farming until 1860; he was then elected Register of Deeds of Franklin County, and removed to Minneola, the county seat; was also appointed County Clerk to fill vacancy, and Deputy County Treasurer, discharging the duties of all these office for two years. He was Assistant Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives in the State Legislature of 1862, and the ensuing election was elected Representative of Franklin County. In 1863, he removed to Lawrence, and established a grocery and hardware store under the firm name of Griffith & Marsel, doing a large and successful business until August 21, 1863, when they were burned out in the Quantrell raid. The business was revived and continued under the old firm until the following year, when Judge Marsel sold out his interest. The business continued under the firm name of Griffith & Duncan until 1868, when W. H. Duncan was taken into the new firm of Griffith, Duncan & Co.; continued until 1870, doing a large wholesale and retail business. In 1871, Mr. Griffith assisted in the organization of the Second National Bank, accepting the position of Cashier. In 1878, he assisted in organizing the Merchants' Bank, of which he became President. He was married in Westmoreland County, Penn., October 19, 1854, to Miss Priscilla A., daughter of Abraham Harbach, Esq., a leading citizen of Western Pennsylvania; they have four children - Charles E., Mary, Alida and George. In 1868, Mr. G. was elected County Commissioner, holding the position two years. He is a leading member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been a Ruling Elder the last ten years. He is also a leader in many other enterprises and manufacturing interest. He is President of the Lawrence Gas, Coke & Coal Company, and one of its largest stockholders. Also, President of the Kansas Basket Manufacturing Company, and one of its principal promoters, and has quite recently assisted in establishing a similar corporation in St. Louis, Mo., under the title of St. Louis Basket Company, of which he is also President.
A. J. GRIFFIN, dealer in coal and wood, lime and stone. The lime and stone business was established by Mr. G., in 1869, the coal department being added in 1882. He has in operation two lime kilns with a capacity of 160 bushels daily, located one and one-half miles from the city; one stone quarry of heavy dimension stone is at the same place, and the other being located about one mile west of the city. He has supplied fully three-fourths of the stone used in Lawrence since he established business. He employs in the season eight men and five to six teams. A. J. Griffin was born in East Milton, Va., November 15, 1842. His parents settled in Warren County, Ohio, about 1851, where he received his education, partially. August 26, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Thirty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. This regiment was a part of the famous "Baltimore Cook" Brigade, Fourteenth Army Corps. Mr. Griffin participated in the battles of Mill Springs, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga and all the battles of the Atlantic campaign. He was mustered out at expiration of term of enlistment, and re-enlisted March 21, 1865, in the Fifth United States veteran Volunteers for one year; was discharged March 21, 1866. He then returned to Ohio, and shortly afterward moved to Illinois, then he removed to Kansas in 1867, and settled in Lawrence, where he engaged in general occupation until he organized present business. Mr. G. married in Dixon, Lee Co., Ill., November 15, 1866, to Miss Mary Carrol, of that county. They have four children - Mary, Charles S., Eleanor and Edith.
ALBERT HADLEY, Cashier of the National Bank, was born near Rockville, Parke Co., Ind., July 5, 1842. He was educated in his native town. In 1860, he commenced business life as a clerk in the County Treasurer's office, afterward in the Auditor's office. In 1861, he took the position of boy in a banking house in Rockville; was advanced into different positions until he was finally appointed general book-keeper in which position he had full charge and continued until 1865, when he moved to Kansas and became connected with the National Bank of Lawrence; was appointed cashier in 1876. Mr. Hadley was married in Rockville, Ind., May 11, 1865, to Miss Mary J. Brown. They have two children - Fred W. and Almeda M. During the war, Mr. Hadley twice enlisted; the first time in the Seventh-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteers. This command was captured and mustered out when exchanged. In 1864, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thiry-eighth (sic) Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and was discharged on account of sickness. He is a member of the Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F.
(Ed: W. HADLEY appears later)
COL. W. A. HARRIS, proprietor of the Linwood farm, located at Linwood Station. The farm consists of about 1,000 acres, and is entirely devoted to the breeding of fine stock. The herd consists of about 100 head of Short-horns. The herd is headed by Baron Victor, 42,824 and Golden Drops Hillhurst, 39,120. Col. Harris is making a specialty of the Scotch Short-horn; he purchased in the spring of 1882, from J. H. Kissinger, three females and two-year-old bulls, imported by J. I. Davidson, of Canada. He has also imported himself, this year, four heifers from Mr. Cruikshank's herd. He received a premium in 1882 from both the Topeka and Lawrence fairs. W. A. Harris was born in Loundoun County, Va., October 29, 1841. His parents moved to Page County in 1844, and to Missouri in 1852. W. A. graduated from Columbian College, District of Columbia, in 1859. During 1859-60 he studied civil engineering at Union College, New York, then entered the Virginia Military Institute, graduating in 1861 as civil engineer. On the breaking-out of the war, he entered the Confederate army, attached to the artillery service for a time, and was then appointed Captain in the Adjutant General's Department, Wilcox's Brigade, Longstreet's Division. After the battles around Richmond, in 1862, he was appointed Chief of Ordnance in Hill's Division of Jackson's Corps. In 1865, he moved to Kansas to take the position of resident engineer in the construction of the Eastern Division of the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1868, he settled in Lawrence as Land Agent for the Union Pacific Railroad. He now has charge of the Delaware Indian Reservation Lands. Mr. Harris was married in Page County, Va., July 26, 1863, to Miss Mary Lionberger, daughter of John Lionberger, Esq., of that county. They have five children - Page, Fanny, Sarah, Lavinia and Bessie.
W. F. HARVEY, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, September 20, 1825. His parents moved to Warren County about 1828. He was educated in Clinton and Warren Counties, finishing in the Harveysburg High School, of which his father, a practicing physician of prominence, was Superintendent. He commenced his medical studies under his father's tuition at the age of sixteen. In 1847, his father moved to the Indian Territory as Superintendent of a Friend's mission to the Shawnee Indians. Here W. F. was engaged in teaching the male classes, his sister having the female classes. In 1849, he returned to Ohio and entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati in 1850. In the spring of 1851, he commenced practice in Hendricks County, Ind. In the spring of 1853, he moved to Kansas and located a claim on Dragoon Creek, about fifty miles southwest of Lawrence. While absent in Indiana for the purpose of bringing on his family, his improvements were all destroyed. When he returned in the fall of 1854, he settled near Blue Jacket's Crossing, Douglas County. In June 1855, disgusted with the demoralized state of society, he returned to Hendricks County, Ind., and recommenced practice. He graduated from the Indiana Medical College February 28, 1873. He had an honorary conferred on him by the Butler University February 28, 1879. He remained in practice in Hendricks County until 1876 when he moved to Iowa, and engaged in practice in Union, Hardin County. In August, 1881, he went to the Cheyenne and Arrapahoe agency in Indian Territory, as Government Physician. His health not being good in that locality, he removed to Lawrence, Kan., in March, 1882, and immediately engaged in practice. Dr. Harvey was married in Parke County, Ind., in February, 1853, to Miss Esther J. Coffin, a native of Wayne County, Ind. They have three children - Delphina M., Horace G. and Susan E., now Mrs. Albertson. Dr. Harvey is a member of Hendricks County Medical Society of Indiana, State Medical Society of Indiana, the Iowa state Medical Society and the Central Iowa Medical Association.
WASHINGTON HADLEY was born in Guilford County, N. C., December 12, 1817. He lost his father when young. In the year 1831, his mother moved to Morgan County, Ind., where he engaged in farming and also in teaching school. In 1836, he engaged in clerking in a general store in Parke County, Ind.; was admitted to a partnership in 1838, and continued in mercantile business until 1859, when he was elected County Treasurer, which position he filled for the constitutional limit of two terms. In 1864, he discharged the duties of County Auditor to fill a vacancy. In 1865, he removed to Kansas with the intention of embarking in the banking business. He settled in Lawrence and established the National Bank of Lawrence, of which he was the first President, and was for many years (in connection with his son Albert) the active and responsible manager and is still a director. He was active in the organization of the Lawrence Gas Company; was its first President, which position he held for several years, also one of the incorporaters and first President of the Lawrence Water-Power Company. Mr. Hadley is a life-long member of the Society of Friends (for Quakers), and for a time after his settlement in Lawrence, his was the only family of that denomination residing there; has been influential in building up that branch of the church and procuring the establishment of the "Yearly Meeting of Friends" for the State at Lawrence. Was the planner and active manager in the erection of their large and substantial church edifice there. He was married at Richmond, Ind., November 28, 1839, to Miss Naomi Henley, of that place. They have had eleven children, of whom there survive Albert, Matilda, now Mrs. George Y. Johnson; Almeda, now Mrs. A. D. Picking; Ella, now Mrs. Charles Monroe; Laurie, now Mrs. T. E. Newlin; Emma and Flora. Mr. Hadley has been Mayor of the city of Lawrence two terms, and was active in promoting the building by the city of the magnificent "State University" building at Lawrence.
HERMANN HASE, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, flour, feed and all kinds of produce. The business was established in the spring of 1883. He occupies the main floor and basement of a building 25x117 feet in area; employs seven men, and is doing a large and increasing business. Was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, June 26, 1852. He was educated at the Rusteek University, taking a full classical course. In 1869, he emigrated to the United States and settled in Douglas County, Kan. Here he engaged in farming for a time. In 1872, he commenced clerking with Theodore Poehler & Co., and continued with their successors until the present firm was organized. He was married in Lawrence, January 8, 1878, to Miss Kate, daughter of Abraham Muyler, Esq. They have two children - Annie and Bertha. Mr. Hase is a member of the Turn-Verein, Social Verein and of the A. O. U. W.