|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (DAILEY - FORD).
J. A. DAILEY, wholesale and retail dealer in china, glass and queensware, silver plated goods, house furnishing goods, etc. Business was established in 1866 by J. A. Dailey & Co. Since 1869, Mr. Dailey has been alone in business. He occupies two floors and basement in a building 25x80 feet, carrying a stock of about $10,000. This is the only exclusive crockery house in town. J. A. Bailey was born in Franklin County, Penn., December 28, 1841. In 1861, he enlisted in Company D., First Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry; was captured at Lexington, Mo; was paroled and discharged. He then returned to Knox County, where he attended Hedding Seminary about two years, and then resumed clerking, in which he continued to actively engage until 1866, when he settled in Lawrence. Mr. Dailey was married in Monmouth, Ill., November 14, 1867, to Miss Maggie J. Belleville, of that town. They have two children - Sidney C. and Frank B. Mr. Dailey is a member of the Presbyterian Church; is also a member of Acacia Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M., and of the K. of H. He has held the position of City Treasurer about five years.
MISS ROXANA A. DAVIS, teacher, was born in North Carolina, January 27, 1858. She came to this State with her mother, in 1861, and settled near Lawrence. In 1876, she graduated at the State Normal School at Emporia, since which time, she has been employed as a teacher, and now holds the position of Principal, in the Vermont Street School, Lawrence, having under her charge three teachers and 253 pupils. Her assistants are, Miss Marcia Wood, Mrs. Mattie Olin and Miss Emma Osborn.
W. J. DAWSON, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., April 7, 183?. Before coming to this State, he lived in Mendota, Ill., and in Brookfield, Mo. He came to the State in 1874, and settled in Topeka, but in 1876, came to North Lawrence, where he has since resided, establishing his present business, and enjoys a flourishing trade. Mr. Dawson enlisted in 1864, and served in the Fifteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, until the close of the war. He married Miss Barbara E. Hyde, of Illinois, and has six children, viz.: Ida, Leila, James, Ella, Kittie and Etta May. Mr. Dawson is a Knight Templar, and a regular Past Master of lodge.
GEORGE N. DEMING, senior member of the firm of George N. Deming & Son, was born in Berkshire, Mass., in the year 1820. He moved to Rochester, N. Y., when about eleven years old. Here after finishing his school, he engaged in coal and lumber business, for over thirty years, at the same time being a prominent worker in political circles. From 1863 to 1868, he devoted his attention to the production of oil in the oil fields of Pennsylvania. In 1878, he settled in Douglas County, Kan., where he engaged in farming till present business was established. He was married in Rochester, N. Y., to Miss Mary Wright, of New York City. They have three children, one son and two daughters. George S. Deming, of above firm, was born in Rochester, N. Y., October 23, 1863. He was partially educated in his native city, finishing at an academy in Lima, N. Y. He was connected with his father in oil operations, in Pennsylvania, from 1874 to 1878, in the latter year, moving with him to Kansas. Mr. George N. Deming is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. He was raised about 1855, and is now a 32d degree member of A. A. S. R.
A. J. DICKER, dealer in general merchandise. The business was originally established in 1862. Mr. Dicker, succeeded Saunders & Owens in 1868. He occupies a building 25x50 in area, two stories high, with an extension 25x27 1/2. He employs altogether six men, and carries a stock of about $10,000. In addition to this, he also operates a grain and feed store. This business occupies a building 25x100 feet. The storage capacity being for 9,000 bushels of corn, 5,000 bushels of oats and 2 cars each of bran and shorts. A. J. Dicker, was born in Kent County, England, September 15, 1842. He served an apprenticeship of five years in the grocery business, and when twenty-one years of age, crossed the ocean in search of fortune. After spending some time in Canada, looking up business, he finally settled in Plainfield, Ind., where he engaged in clerking, following the same business in Indianapolis later. In 1868 he moved to Kansas, settled in Lawrence, and started his present business. He was married in Lawrence, November 25, 1869, to Miss Elizabeth Tyson, formerly of Indiana. They have three children living - Charlotte, Josephine and Henry. Mr. Dicker is a member of the City Council, of the I. O. O. F., and A., F. & A. M.
ABSOLOM DIMMERY, blacksmith. Mr. Dimmery was born in Tennessee in 1825, and in childhood moved with his parents to Washington, Ark., where he spent his youthful days, and learned the trade of a blacksmith. Mr. Dimmery is the son of Stephen Dimmery, a Portugese, who fought bravely with the Indians at the battle of the Horse Shoe, under Gen. Jackson. His mother was of African-European descent. When the war of the rebellion was about to break out Mr. Dimmery was compelled on account of his Union sentiments to flee for his liberty. He came to Kansas in 1860, and in 1863 enlisted for three years, in the First (Colored) Kansas Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. Mr. Dimmery has been twice married, and now has three children - Frances A., Isabel and Eleanor.
LEVI A. DOANE, proprietor Kansas farm agency, business established in 1878; does a general real estate and loan business. He was born in Worcester County, Mass., February 13, 1836. He received his education in his native county. From the age of nineteen up to thirty-two or thirty-three years, he was engaged in teaching in Worcester County in graded and high schools; was two years teaching in Westboro Reform School. During the war, he enlisted twice, but was rejected on the score of ill-health. In 1869, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Neosho County, where he engaged in the real estate business. In July, 1869, he laid out the town of Worcester, Neosho County. In 1870, with four others, laid out the town of Galesburg, in the same county. At this time, he was also engaged in operating a steam saw mill in Neosho County; sold out this interest in 1874, and from that time until 1876, taught school and operated his farms. In the latter year, he went to Springfield, Mass., and engaged in the real estate business there with his brother. In 1878, he closed out his interests in Massachusetts and Neosho County, Kan., and settled in Lawrence. Mr. Doane was married in Worcester County, Mass., in 1858, to Miss Laura A., daughter of Lory Grout, Esq., one of the pioneers of that county. Mr. and Mrs. Doane have seven children - Frank A., Fred W., Charles M., Mary E., Luther H., Laura M. and Jennie L.
P. A. DOLBEE, County Commissioner, Douglas County, was born in Des Moines County, Iowa, March 4, 1844. He was born and raised on a farm, and engaged in this until the breaking-out of the war. He enlisted in October, 1861, in Company K, Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and was discharged in October, 1862, on account of disability, caused by wounds received at Pittsburg Landing. Was also engaged in the attack on Ft. Donelson. On being discharged, he returned to Iowa, and here commenced farming. In 1864, was in the 100-day service attached to the Forty-fifth Iowa Infantry. In 1865, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Douglas County, and engaged in farming. He at first worked as a farm laborer; is now engaged in operating a farm of 800 acres, of which Mr. T. Poehler, of Lawrence, is part owner, though Mr. Dolbee is alone in the operation of the farm. He devotes his attention to stock raising almost entirely. Has a herd of 125 cattle, the head of the herd being a full-blood Durham, and some forty of the cattle being high grades. Mr. Dolbee is a member of Washington Post, G. A. R., and of the a. O. of U. W., both of Lawrence.
JAMES, JOHN and NEILL DONNELLY, proprietors Donnelly's livery, sale and feed stables. The business was established in 1874, by the three brothers names. James Donnelly had the entire management of the business, the others being engaged in outside matters. They occupy a frame building 32x110 feet in dimensions; keep on hand twenty to twenty-five head of horses, two to four hacks, together with a complete assortment of carriages of all descriptions. The capital invested will aggregate $7,000. James Donnelly, senior member of the firm, was born in County Derry, Ireland, December 25, 1842. In 1848, the family immigrated to the United States, and settled in McHenry, Ill. In 1857, James, in company with his brothers, moved to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence. He engaged in general occupations until 1869, when he commenced running hacks, continuing in this occupation until present business was established. During the Quantrell raid in 1863, he lost all his property and was taken prisoner, but made his escape a few hours later.
E. N. DRAPER, Principal of the Chapel School was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., June 5, 1852. His parents moved to Cortland County, N. Y., about 1866, and E. N. then attended the Cortland Academy. In 1869, he moved with his parents to Lawrence, Kan., and finished his education at the State University. He commenced teaching in 1874 in Douglas County, and has since been uninterruptedly engaged in his profession. Was appointed to present position in September, 1882. Mr. Draper was married in Douglas County, Kan., in January, 1874, to Miss Malissa Criss, of that county. They have three children - Estella, Burt and Roy. Mr. D. is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F.
GEORGE B. EDGAR, Secretary and founder of the Kansas State Mutual Fire Insurance company, of Lawrence, was born in Dayton, Ohio, July 8, 1832; was educated in his native town. After finishing his education, he followed school teaching in Northern Ohio until 1851, when he moved to Muscatine, Iowa. Was two years a telegraph operator, four years a farmer, five years in the grocery business in Muscatine and Muscatine County. In 1862, moved to Kansas, settling at Leavenworth. Was five years engaged there as book-keeper for a wholesale stove and tin house. During the Price raid, he was attached to the First Regiment Kansas State Militia as Orderly Sergeant of Company D. In 1867, he went to Mexico, Mo., as the special agent of the Yonkers and New York, and local agent of the Hartford Fire Insurance Companies. Built up a large insurance business, and 1871, selling out his agency, moved to Kansas City and engaged in the same business, remaining there three years; then settled at Ottawa, Kan., as District Agent for the sale of the Singer sewing machine. In 1876, he purchased a farm near Richmond, in Franklin County, remaining there until 1880; selling out, he moved to Lawrence, again engaging in the insurance business. Mr. Edgar was married at Dayton, Ohio, April, 1854. He is father of seven children, two daughters and five sons, all living and doing business in Kansas.
MAJ. CHARLES L. EDWARDS. Mr. Edwards' principal business is that of dealer in coal and wood. C. L. Edwards was born in Southampton, Mass., October 19, 1828. He was educated at Phillips Academy, Andover, and graduated at the Westfield Normal School. At the age of eighteen, he commenced teaching, while still pursuing his studies, and continued in this profession, with the exception of short intervals, for sixteen years. He moved to Kansas in November, 1855. For a year, he was clerk of Hon. S. C. Pomeroy in the Emigrant Aid Company's office, and during the troubles of 1856 had large control of the business, Mr. Pomeroy being absent and Gov. Robinson in prison. He was Principal of the schools in Lawrence for over two years continuously from April, 1857. He was the first elected Superintendent of Public Instruction in Douglas County, and took charge of its duties March 1, 1859, when there were but three organized schools. In three months, he had over thirty schools in operation. He was one of the first trustees of what has now become the State University, and Principal of the Academic Department, which opened in the fall of 1859. He went East in 1860 on a visit to his native town, and was induced to take charge of the Southampton Academy. He held the position of Principal here until 1862, when he enlisted in the Thirty-seventh Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned First Lieutenant of Company D; was subsequently commissioned Captain, and retired at the close of the war as Major of his regiment, having served in all the campaigns of the Sixth Corps, participating in the battles of Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Mine Run, Winchester, Petersburg and others, including Sailors Creek, the final battle of the war. Maj. Edwards was married in North Hadley, Mass., October 4, 1860, to Miss Susan R. Powers. They have had three children; one daughter survives - Virginia S. Mr. Edwards is a prominent member of the Congregational Church.
ALEXANDER G. EIDEMILLER, dealer in ice. Business was established in 1867, and has since been in operation with the exception of two years he operated in Kansas City. His main houses are 200x100 feet, with a capacity of 7,000 to 8,000 tons. He adds additional temporary houses in favorable seasons. He also puts up, under contract, about 10,000 tons in the houses of Plankinton & Armour at this point. During the winter of 1882-83, he will also ship about 15,000 to 20,000 tons. He employs in the season about 300 men, and will cut in the aggregate from 35,000 to 40,000 tons of ice. Mr. Eidemiller was born in Frederick City, Md., August 22, 1833. His parents moved to Troy, Ohio, about 1837, where he received his schooling. At the age of twelve years he commenced clerking in grocery stores. When about nineteen he went into business on his own account, and continued in the mercantile business until he moved to Kansas in 1867. During 1870 to 1872, he transferred his ice business to Kansas City, Mo., returning to Lawrence in the latter year. Mr. Eidemiller was married in Troy, Ohio, in September, 1854, to Miss May J. Simmons, of Troy. They have four children living - Mary A., Helen E., Maggie R. and George K.
JOHN ELDRIDGE, livery. Established the livery business in North Lawrence in 1875, since which time he has continued to keep some fine turnouts. Mr. Eldredge (sic) seldom makes a mistake, being one of the best guessers in the State, and his keen eye will detect a fraud at first sight. Mr. Eldredge (sic) was born in Pennsylvania, August 22, 1840. He came to this State in 1853, and settled in Prairie City, where he lived up to the time of coming to Lawrence in 1860. In 1861, he responded to the first call of his country, and enlisted in Company G, Seventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He was in several engagements, but came out without a scratch or a wound. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Frank Hawkins, of Lawrence; has three children - Lelia B., Harry and Stella May.
THOMAS B. ELDRIDGE, one of the tried and most faithful friends of Kansas territorial struggle, died in Lawrence Sunday, December 3, 1882. His funeral occurred on the Tuesday following, and was largely attended by old settlers, who, with him, had together borne the burdens of the day, and by whom he was held in universal respect and esteem. The following sketch appeared in a Lawrence paper at the time of his death: "The hearts of many old settlers of Kansas will be saddened to learn that the gentleman whose name heads this article died in Lawrence, last Sunday morning, the 3d inst. On the previous Thursday he experienced a slight attack of rheumatism, from which, however, he had sufficiently rallied, last Sunday morning, to enable him to sit at the table and partake of a hearty breakfast. Subsequently he laid down on a sofa, and in a few moments thereafter he was discovered in the embrace of death. He died of rheumatism of the heart. His funeral will be held to-day at Lawrence. Mr. Eldridge was one of the early pioneers of Kansas, and was a prominent actor in the struggles incident to our pioneer history. He was one of the lessees of the Free-State Hotel at Lawrence, at the time of its destruction by the border ruffians in May, 1856. In September, of that year, he was the agent at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, of the National Kansas Committee, and his business was to purchase transportation and supplies for emigrants to Kansas. He was clothed with full authority to use what money his judgment deemed was necessary for the successful prosecution of his business. Mount Pleasant was, at that time, the terminal point of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, the westernmost railroad point in Iowa. It was the rallying point for overland Free-State emigrants to Kansas, the Missouri River having been blockaded against them by border ruffians. As an inducement for Free-State men to go to Kansas, during that troublous period, the National Kansas Committee offered them arms, transportation and subsistence. Mr. Eldridge purchased horses, wagons, arms, subsistence and camp and garrison equipage, involving an expense of about $40,000, and so faithfully did he discharge his duty, in his purchases and disbursements, that, upon the conclusion of his labors, he was presented by the Committee with a fine horse and corresponding equipments, and also a brace of revolvers. Under his outfitting at Mount Pleasant, several hundred Free-State men came to Kansas in 1856, much to the relief and encouragement of those who were already here, struggling valiantly and manfully against numerically superior forces. Upon the return of Mr. Eldridge to Kansas, he became a member of the Kansas Stage Company, composed of the Eldridge Brothers, and he was also associated with many of the companies that were locating towns all over the Territory in 1857. The Broadway Hotel (now the Coates House), in Kansas City, was erected by Mr. Eldridge, and was for some time operated by him. A short time during the war, he did staff duty in some of the western armies, with the rank of Major. For several years, he was engaged in the banking business at Coffeyville, and while living there he represented one of the districts in Montgomery County in the Legislature in 1873. He was last employed on the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Kansas Railroad, in the capacity of stock agent."
DR. E. FARLEY, oculist, was born in Leroy, Genesee Co., N. Y., May 1, 1827 He received his education in his native State, and commenced his professional studies in 1857, in Wyoming County, N. Y., under a celebrated oculist. He commenced his practice in San Francisco, Cal., where he remained about two years, and then returned to New York State. In 1864, he settled in Bloomington, Ill., where he opened an office and engaged in the practice of his profession some six or seven years. His wife's health being poor and the climate not agreeing with her, he moved to Independence, Mo. In 1871, he moved to Des Moines, Iowa. In 1872, he returned to Bloomington, Ill. In 1882, he moved to Calhoun, Neb. From thence, he moved to Kansas, settling in Lawrence in March, 1883. Dr. Farley has been engaged in the practice of his specialty since 1858.
J. D. FINCHER, Postmaster, was born in Berks County, Penn, January 21, 1845. The same year, his parents moved to Columbia County, where he received his education. In 1862, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Infantry, and was discharged in 1863, on account of disability. He then returned home and was connected, until he moved West, with the engineering department of coal mines in Northumberland County, Penn. In 1866, he moved to Kansas and settled in Wyandotte County, where he became connected with the engineering department of the Eastern Division of the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1868, he moved to Lawrence, still connected with the engineer's office, having charge of supplies in that department. The office was moved, about 1876, and Mr. Fincher then turned his attention to mercantile pursuits. Mr. Fincher was married, in Lawrence, Kan., March 22, 1872, to Miss Lena, daughter of William Melvin, Esq. Mr. Fincher was appointed Postmaster by President Garfield's administration in May, 1881. He is a member of the City Council. He is also a Knight Templar of the Masonic fraternity.
J. K. FETHEROLF, proprietor of the Central Hotel. The house was erected in 1866, Mr. Wilderson's addition being made in 1870. The present proprietors succeeded John Anderson in August, 1880. The building is partly stone and partly frame, 90x94 feet in size, and contains thirty rooms. J. K. Fetherolf was born in Lehigh County, Penn., in 1834. He was educated in his native county and engaged in various occupations, at times farming, tanning, hotel keeping, etc. In, 1878, he moved to Kansas and took the Calidonia House at Solomon City, which he run until he took the Central Hotel Mr. Fetherolf was married in Berks County, Penn., February 10, 1855, to Miss Mary A. Seidel, of Berks County. They have five children - Ellen L., now Mrs. Krum, of Solomon City; Alice S., Mary J., George A. and Charles F. He is a member of Solomon Lodge, No. 783, I. O. O. F., of Solomon City.
J. N. FLORER, Indian trader, Osage Agency, Indian Territory. The business was established in 1872 by Florer & Rankin. The latter retired in 1878, and since that time Mr. Florer has been sole proprietor. He now employs four men and carries a stock of some $10,000, and does a yearly business of $50,000. In addition to this business he has also a cattle ranche (sic) with a herd of 1,600 head of steers, which he expects to increase in 1883 to 3,000 head. J. N. Florer first came to Kansas in 1864. He then settled in Lawrence and engaged in clerking in the mercantile establishments in the city until about 1870. He then moved to Humboldt, Allen County, where he opened the Landreth House which he operated about one year and then returned to Lawrence, and shortly afterward engaged in his present business. He was married in Lawrence to Miss Anna Finney, daughter of Rev. Thomas Finney, of Ohio, a famous Abolition preacher of that State. They have two children - Laura Maud and Walter Osage. Mr. Florer is a member of the I. O. O. F., and A., F & A. M., of Lawrence.
JUDGE A. H. FOOTE, Probate Judge of Douglas County, was born in Middlefield, Geauga County, Ohio, December 24, 1838. He received his preliminary education in the common schools of his native county, finishing his studies at the Western Reserve Seminary in Trumbull County, Ohio. He enlisted in May, 1862, in Company B, Eighty-seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteers; was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry and paroled; was afterward discharged on account of broken health. He commenced reading law, previous to his enlistment, with Cartter (sic) & Thayer, at Cleveland, Ohio. After his return from the war, he continued reading in the office of W. W. Nevison, at Painesville, Ohio. He took an active part in assisting the Republican party, during this time, making speeches during the campaign in that district. During this time, he became intimately acquainted with the late President Garfield, and his admiration of that gentleman's character was so great that he was the first person in Lawrence that predicted his nomination at Chicago, in 1880. Mr. Foote was admitted to the bar at Painesville, Ohio, in May, 1864. In 1866, he moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, where he opened an office and engaged in practice until elected Probate Judge, in 1880. Was elected City Attorney two terms without solicitation on his part. Mr. Foote was married in West Farmington, Trumbull Co., Ohio, July 7, 1870, to Miss Mary M. Weir, of that town. They have three children - Mary Ida, Sherman Weir and Marvin Garfield. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F.
HON. GEORGE FORD (deceased), was born December 18, 1811, at Westerlo, Albany County, N. Y. His grandfather, Jacob Ford, was a soldier in the war of the Revolution. His father Sylvester Ford, was an extensive farmer, and for some time held the position of County Judge in New York. He served his country in the war of 1812, becoming an Adjutant during the war. George Ford's boyhood was spent on his father's farm, but at the age of fourteen he entered his brother's store at Oneonta, N. Y., as clerk. Here, however, he remained but a short time, after which he went to New York City, where he worked as clerk until he reached his eighteenth year. He then returned to the farm, where he remained until he attained his majority. At that age, he removed to Akron, Ohio, where he lived about a year. His next move was to Berkshire County, Mass. Here he was married to Miss Rachel Hall Wightman, March 22, 1835. Soon after this event he returned to New York and engaged in farming in Delaware County. In 1847, he left his farm and changed his residence to Jersey City, N. J., where for ten years he managed a general mercantile business. In 1857, he moved to Kansas and located in Lawrence. In the same year he became a member of the City council, a body which Gov. Walker pronounced revolutionary, and which he suppressed with a battalion of United States soldiers. He was elected a County Commissioner, in 1858, and made Chairman of the Board. He was, in 1862, elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, where he made and active, useful and efficient legislator, reflecting honor upon his constituents, whose partiality had chosen him. As a business man Mr. Ford stood in the foremost rank in Lawrence. He began the business of general merchandising. He was thus engaged for several years, gradually changing his business to an exclusive dry goods establishment; but in January, 1867, he changed his plans and began dealing in groceries exclusively, in which he continued until his death. I (sic) 1860, he was placed in charge of the distribution of aid goods from the Emigrant Aid Union. He was a member of the Baptist Church from his youth, and held the office of Deacon for many years. He was also prominently engaged in the Sabbath school work, being a pioneer of that cause in Kansas. When the first salves fled from Missouri to Kansas, he was one of a few Christians who defied public opinion, opened a school, and taught both children and adults the rudiments of an education. He was a liberal contributor, not only to his own church, but to all religious institutions. Mr. Ford departed this life November 12, 1880, universally lamented. He was one of those strongly marked characters so difficult of delineation in pen portraiture. His countenance betokened firm and unyielding convictions. In his friendship and in his thinking he was remarkable for his constancy. He laid hold of all subjects that concerned him with an undying tenacity. His nature was granitic. All the laws of his being were as the statutes of the Medes and Persians. His will power and energy were marvelous. No reverses of fortune, no obstacles disheartened him. Full of vigor and hope through all mishaps and difficulties, his course was onward, right on. The life of business, the soul of social life, the factotum of the church. His was a felt presence everywhere. Nor shall we soon forget his droll humor. He was not without his scruples about it, but his utmost sobriety of purpose could not check the bubbling fountain of fun in his nature. It sallied forth at everybody in prose and rhyme, and quick retort. But most marked of all his traits was the kindness of his heart. It transfigured his face like an Aurora. To look upon him was to read his benevolence. In unmistakable lines it went out from him as a benediction upon the poor and needy. None of this description sought him in vain. There were lamentations among that class when he died. A colored man exclaimed, "Our Moses is dead!" We need workers like him to-day. The memory of him chides us all. He proved that men can be successful in their business whilst positive and uncompromising in their principles. He hated the whisky business with a perfect hatred; despised its threatenings; gave it no quarter, and instead of suffering in trade compelled even the rum traffic to yield to him a reluctant patronage, constrained by the manliness and genial good will of the man. He illustrated what could be accomplished by fixedness of purpose, steadiness of application, and by the magnetic thrill of a kind heart. He pushed and shinned his way through all opposition. His was an example of man's fidelity; whether it was in business or the church, or temperance or election day, he gave himself to it with enthusiastic constancy. He fought every issue straight through to the end. Death found him at a post of duty where he loved to be - in the house of God. Although full of years, it seemed as though his departure was premature. But if the memory of him shall cause the mantle of his good qualities to descend upon others, it will be well for temperance, well for the State, well for the church and well for humanity.