William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 18] [part 16] [Cutler's History]


HON. CHARLES CHADWICK is a native of Tompkins County, N. Y. Was educated in the common and select schools of that county. In 1841, went to Westfield, Chautauqua County, to write as a clerk in the Surrogate's office of that county, and commenced the reading of law with his uncle, the Hon. Austin Smith, who was then Surrogate of the county. In 1851, at a general term of the Supreme Court of the Eighth Judicial District, he was admitted to the bar, and commenced the practice with his old preceptor, who took him in as a partner, continuing this partnership until 1857, when he struck out for Kansas, and settled in Quindaro, then a promising point on the Missouri River. Here he opened a law and real estate office, where he remained until 1860. In the spring of 1859, was elected a Justice of the Peace for Quindaro Township, and filled the office, until July, 1860, when he went to Doniphan County, and in the fall of 1861 went to Topeka, having been appointed by Gov. Charles Robinson, Attorney General, to fill vacancy, and had the position of Private Secretary to Gov. Robinson, which position he held during the balance of the term. In the spring of 1863, settled in Lawrence, and opened a law office, entered into partnership with Hon. Nelson Cobb, which continued till Mr. Cobb moved to Kansas City, in the fall of 1867. In 1864, he was appointed Paymaster General, with rank of Major, by Gov. Thomas Carney, which position he filled during Gov. Carney's term of office and in the fall of 1864, paid the State Militia for services in the spring of 1861 (sic) In 1865, was elected a Justice of the Peace, for the city of Lawrence, and has held the office continuously, except two years - 1872 and 1873. Was elected Police Judge in 1881, for a term of two years.

S. J. CHURCHILL, wholesale dealer in barb wire and staples, sells the Scutt cable laid wire and the Lambert barb wire, both manufactured by H. B. Scutt & Co., Joliet, Ill. He also handles largely the Warne barb wire, manufactured by the Southeastern Barb Wire Company, of Lawrence. The business was established by Mr. Churchill in 1876. He keeps in his stock at Lawrence five to six cars of wire, his larger orders being sent from the factory direct. His sales will amount this year to $150,000, representing about one hundred cars of material. Mr. Churchill was born in Rutland County, Vt., November 1, 1842; he was educated in his native county. In 1861, he moved West, and located in De Kalb County, Ill., where he engaged in farming until the breaking-out of the war. He enlisted August 6, 1861, in Company G, Second Regiment Illinois Light Artillery. He re-enlisted in 1864, and was mustered out September 5, 1865. He took part in Ft. Henry and Ft. Donelson campaigns under Gen. Grant; was in the same command at Vicksburg; was in Nashville campaign under Gen. Thomas; afterward in the siege of Mobile and the attach on the Spanish forts. On his discharge from the service, he settled in Jackson County, Mo., where he engaged in farming until the death of Mrs. Churchill. He then accepted a position as traveling salesman for H. B. Scutt & Co., engaging in this until 1876. Mr. Churchill was married in Rutland County, Vt., to Miss Adelia A. Holmes, of that county. She died, leaving four children - May A., Frank H., Winifred G., Lena B. He was married August 4, 1879, at Lawrence, to Mrs. Low Grant Benham, of Lawrence, a former resident of New York State. Mr. Churchill is a member of Washington Post, No. 12, G. A. R., and Halcyon Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F. The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

N. S. CLARKE, livery, sale and feed stable. The business was established by Mr. C. in 1872. The building is of frame, 50x117 feet in size. In summer, he keeps about fourteen head of horses, while in winter the stock increases to forty or fifty, sale and livery. Keeps on hand a full assortment of hacks and carriages. Mr. Clarke was born in Schuyler County, Ill., April 14, 1845. He was educated at the Illinois Wesleyan University, at Bloomington. The departure of his brothers to the war necessitated his leaving college to assist his father in the management of the farm. He remained at home until 1869, then moved to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence, engaging in farming until he opened the livery stable. He was married in Lawrence September 30, 1875, to Miss Lucy J., daughter of William Patterson, Esq., a pioneer of 1855, and a practicing lawyer in Lawrence some years. They had triplets born to them in 1879 - Mary P., Helen M. and Ange S., the latter died, aged one year. Mr. C. is a member of Halycon Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F., and of the A. O. U. W. and Select Knights.

WILLIAM H. COFFIN, P. O. Richmond, Wayne co., Ind., is one of the pioneers of Kansas. He first came to this State in October, 1854, and made a claim on what is now the site of Osawatomie, Leavenworth County, in company with Eli Wilson and B. W. Hiatt. They gave up their claims on the arrival of the first town company, and the next spring made new claims on the forks of Stranger and Fall Creeks, in Leavenworth County. He brought out his family that year and continued to reside there until 1865, engaged in farming, when he moved to Wayne County, Ind., where he has since resided. Mr. Coffin was born near Richmond, Ind., September 26, 1825. He was educated in his native county, and resided there until he came to Kansas. He was married in Wayne County, Ind., in October, 1845, to Miss Sarah Wilson, of that county. They have five children - John W., William H., Albert, Robert and Frank. Mr. Coffin being a member of the Society of Friends, could not bear arms, but his sympathies were with the Free-state party, and he rendered valuable service to the cause in many ways. He was elected to the Leavenworth Constitutional Convention that convened at Minneola and adjourned to Leavenworth.

PASSON & COHN, dealers in staple and fancy dry goods, boots and shoes, etc. Business was established in Lawrence in November, 1882. D. Passon, senior member of the firm, was born in Koenigsberg, Prussia, April 23, 1853. He was educated in his native town. In 1875, he went into the German Army, and continued until 1878. In the latter year, he emigrated to the United States, and settled in Eudora, Douglas Co., Kan. Here he engaged in clerking until 1880, when he began business on his own account. He is a member of Eudora Lodge, A., F. & A. M. L. Cohn of the above firm, was born in Eudora, Douglas Co., Kan., November 14, 1860. He received his schooling in Lawrence. In 1875, he commenced the study of telegraphing, and followed this as a profession until the organization of the present firm. He was at one time agent for the A. T. & S. Fe. R. R., at Cedar Junction, Kan.

A. A. COOPER, Vice President of the Kansas State Mutual Fire Insurance Company, was born in Hopkinsville, Christian Co., Ky., December 1, 1833. His parents settled in Greene County, Ill., about 1836, where he received his education and commenced his business life. In 1852, he engaged in the mercantile business in Greenfield. In 1861, he moved to Girard, Macoupin Co., Ill., where he continued successfully in business, operating a dry goods store and woolen mill in addition to other business until 1871. He then opened a store in Decatur, Ill. In 1873, he sold out and removed to Peoria, Ill., where he engaged in the commission business, operating in grain and live stock. In 1878, he moved to Kansas, and located in Ottawa. The same fall, he settled in Lawrence; here he engaged in the mercantile business a short time, and has since been engaged in real estate and loans. He is now a member of the firm of A. Tosh & Co. Mr. Cooper was married in Greene County, Ill., September 6, 1854, to Miss Laura A. Doyle, of that county. They have three sons - - John E., Luther D. and Ernest J. He is a member of the Baptist Church, also of the A., F. & A. M. and E. A. U. society.

J. W. COOPER, Principal of the High School, was born in Berlin, Worcester Co., Md., December 15, 1842. He was educated in Buckingham Academy, Berlin, Md., taking a full classic course. During the war, he was attached to the Quartermaster's department in Missouri and Arkansas. On the close of the war, he settled in Illinois, and engaged in teaching there, and later in Iowa. In 1870, he settled in Douglas County, Kan., teaching in the county two terms, then taking a position in the city schools. Was promoted to his present position in September, 187?. Mr. Cooper was married in Baldwin City, Kan., in 1874, to Miss Sarah E., daughter of H. ?. Brown, Esq., of Baldwin City, They have two children - Carl L. and John H.

JOSEPH CRACKLIN, old settler, was born in Boston, Mass., May 2, 1816. He was educated in the public schools of his native city. As a boy, he was employed in a shipping office, his duties being to check off the cargo of vessels being discharged. He thus imbibed a taste for the sea. In June, 1832, he shipped on a whaler from New Bedford. On his return home, he again shipped and continued for some twelve years at sea. A number of these years were spent in the United States Navy, some six in all. Was discharged by special order from the department through the solicitation of relatives. He then returned home, and engaged in house painting in Roxbury, Mass. In 1849, on the breaking-out of the California excitement, he made the journey across the plains and engaged in mining there about two years, and then returned home by way of the Isthmus. In 1854, he again started for California overland, landing at Lawrence, Kan, in September. The high-handed proceedings of the border ruffians aroused his indignation, and he determined to remain and assist the Free-state people. He organized a company of men; the company was afterwards known as the "Stubbs," and he continued the command of this company until he was commissioned Lieutenant Colonel of the First Kansas Regiment under Gen. James Lane, and continued with the regiment until the troubles ended, when the Free-state army disbanded, the members returning to their homes. The Stubbs, however, preserved their organization, and in August, 1857, he was again elected Captain. Held the office two years, and resigned August 11, 1859.

The following is a true copy of the reply of the company to his letter of resignation:

"STUBBS ARMORY, August 11, 1859.

LIEUT. COL., JOSEPH CRACKIN, Post Captain of the Stubbs:

Dear Sir - In accepting your letter of resignation, we tender our sincere thanks for the manner in which you have discharged your duties as commanding officer of our company for so long a time; and while we regret that your duties should compel you to retire from an office which you have filled with honor to yourself and credit to the company, we are happy to know that your name is still attached to the roll of your company among the names of those who battled so manfully for the right in 1856. It is pleasing to us to refer to the part you took in those engagements with our company. You conduct at Franklin, in August, and at Lawrence, when Reed besieged our town with 2,800 hirelings, and at all other places where the company was engaged while you were in command, elicits our warmest applause. We are grateful for the advice conveyed to this company in your letter, feeling that your experience in military affairs may be of great advantage to us, and believe that by following it with our efficient present officers (Capt., F. B. Swift and First Lieut. N. W. Spicer), we may be able to hold the position we have heretofore occupied among the military companies of Kansas. Be assured, however, that the Stubbs will always be steadfast supporters of the right and defenders of the oppressed. And it is our desire that the law-makers of our country may be composed of such men that when called upon, we can, with a right good will, sustain their enactments. In placing you upon the retired roll, we would request that you be present occasionally at our meetings, and by your advice and counsel aid us in arriving at a greater degree of military perfection. With assurances of the higher esteem, we remain,

Yours respectfully,
Committee in behalf of the Company."

In 1861, he organized a company of men who were mustered into the service as Company I, Second Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry. When this command was mustered out in 1861, a cavalry company was organized, in which he held the position of Battalion Adjutant, with the rank of Second Lieutenant. He was afterward attached to the Second Kansas Battery, Capt. Hopkins as a Second Lieutenant, in which he held a commission as Second Lieutenant; serving in pursuit of the guerrillas. Was afterward ordered to report at Ft. Leavenworth, where he remained attached to the post battery until mustered out in 1862. He then returned to Lawrence where he was for some time under medical treatment for disability, caused by a sunstroke. He was afterward elected City Marshal for several years, and also engaged in the real estate business. He was married in Roxbury, Mass., in March, 1847, to Miss Julia A. McDuffy, who died in Lawrence in 1857. He was married to his present wife in Lawrence, Kan., March 30, 1858. She was Miss Emily Dunlap, of New Boston, N. H. They have one child - Lillian R. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being a member of all the grand bodies. At the time of the Quantrell raid, Mr. C. had a narrow escape from death; fearing their coming, he had sent his family East and rented their house, taking up his quarters at Stone's Hotel; was awakened by their firing on the morning of their arrival, and with great difficulty managed to get out of the house, being chased by a squad of the guerrillas until he reached the bush.

WILLIAM CRUM, of the firm of Ulrickson & Crum, was born in Cambria County, Penn., January 8, 1845. His parents moved to Perry County, Mo., about 1857. In 1863, he left home and located in Illinois, learning the trade of tinsmith, which he followed in Vienna and Cairo, that State. During the war, he enlisted in the 100-day service, and served out his time in the One Hundred and Forty-fifth regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. In 1868, he moved to Kansas and settled in Baxter Springs, Cherokee County, where he engaged in business, dealing in stoves and tinware until 1874, when he moved to Lawrence. He worked at his trade until 1878, when he organized the firm of Roberts & Crum, dealing in tinware, pumps, etc. In 1879, they were succeeded by Willey & Crum. He sold out his interest in this firm when the firm of Ulrickson & Crum was organized. Mr. Crum was married in Baxter Springs, Ky., (sic) December 8, 1870, to Miss Grason, a native of Canada. They have two children - Alice G. and Earl L. Mr. C. is a member of Acacia Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M.

W. M. CULBERTSON, dealer in sand and hard and soft coal. The business was established by Mr. C. in 1872. The business at first probably averaged about eighty cars yearly. His sales now aggregate 400 cars. He employs eight men and operates five teams in the coal department. Expects to ship 500 cars of sand in 1883. Mr. C. was born near Zanesville, Ohio, August 6, 1837. He was educated in Zanesville. In 1856, he began farming on his own account; this he continued until 1862, when he took a position in the Post Quartermaster's department at Nashville, Tenn. In December, 1863, was sent with supplies to Knoxville, Tenn., remaining there until November, 1864. He then returned home. In January, 1865, he took a position in the Quartermaster's department at Cincinnati, Ohio, remaining until the close of the war. He returned to Muskingun County, and shortly afterward engaged in coal business at McConnellsville, Morgan Co., Ohio, continuing in this business until he moved to Kansas in 1872. He was married in McConnellsville, Ohio, November 11, 1869, to Miss Kate B. Welch, of that town. They have three children - Howard D., Charles W. and Kate. Mr. C. is a member of the Congregational Church, also of Oread Lodge, K. of H., and subordinate lodge, and Select Knights of A. O. U. W.

H. A. CUTLER, job printer, born in Highgate, Franklin Co., Vt., May 30, 1830, son of Rodolphus Cutler and Sophy Christly. He grew to manhood in his native State, and learned his trade in St. Albans, Vt., and has ever since been engaged in his profession. Mr. C. was united in marriage in St. Albans, Vt., May 15, 1860, to Miss Emiline D., daughter of Hiram E. Colony and Eunice Sabin. They have three children - Flouna E., born June 15, 1865; Fredrick D., born December 26, 1874; Olive M., born August 10, 1878. Mr. C. came to the State in 1857, settled in Lawrence, and established business in 1870; employs eight hands. He has also connected with his establishment department for bookbinding. By diligence, promptness and strict attention to business, he has become the leading job printer in the city. He is a Master Mason.

[TOC] [part 18] [part 16] [Cutler's History]