|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BEARD - CASEY).
JOHN W. BEARD, dealer in heavy and shelf hardware, stoves, tinware, etc. He is also agent for the new Fairbanks sewing-machine. He is extensively engaged in the manufacture of copper, iron and tinware, occupying two stories and basement in a building 110x25 feet. He has control in his section of the Charter Oak, Bismarck and Gem City cooking stoves; of the Ideal, West Point and other heaters. He employs five men, and carries a stock of about $5,000. The business was established in 1871. J. W. Beard was born in Midway, Davison Co., N. C., April 2, 1839. He received his education in his native county. In 1860, he engaged in the mercantile business in Danbury, N. C., which he continued until the breaking-out of the late war. In 1861, he enlisted in the Eleventh Regiment North Carolina Volunteers. The regiment was afterward re-organized as the Twenty-first Regiment North Carolina Volunteers, in which command he held the commission as Captain of Company F. He served during the entire war, participating in most of the battles in Virginia, and receiving nine wounds. On the close of the war, he returned to North Carolina, and in 1866 moved to Kansas. He settled in Lawrence, where he engaged in clerking until he established his present business. Mr. Beard was married in Randolph County, N. C., in 1865, to Miss Henley, of that county. They have three children - Evalena, John H. and an infant son. Mr. Beard is a member of Acacia Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M. He is Scribe in Law Chapter, No. 4 and S. W. in De Meloy Commandery K. of F. He is also a member of Zerbel of Perfection Lodge, A. A. S. R., and of Lawrence Lodge, No. 798, K. of H.
REV. W. W. BEARDSLEE, was born in Caneadea, N. Y., March 17, 1833; son of Augustus Beardslee and Betsey Frisbie, where he grew up to manhood on a farm. He was educated at the Rushford Academy and the Rochester Collegiate Institute. He was licensed by the Baptist Church in Hume, N. Y., in July, 1852, and ordained by a council at Davisville, Penn., October 30, 1856, and subsequently became pastor in Solebury, Penn., Carthage, Ill., Monterey, Portage, Clifton Park, Cincinnatus, N. Y., and Falls City, Neb., in all of which he was a successful pastor, leaving all these churches stronger and better than he found them. He has been twice married; in Centerville, N. Y., June 6, 1860, to Miss Martha E., daughter of Joseph Bingham, Esq., by whom he had three children - Rozell A., born March 24, 1861; George R., born October 13, 1863; and Mary, born March 25, 1867. Some two years after losing his first wife, he was married a second time at East Saginaw, Mich., September 15, 1881, to Mrs. Agnes A. Colland. In 1882, Mr. Beardslee resigned his pastorate and united with the Christian Church in Falls City, Neb., because of a change of views on same (sic) doctrinal points. On severing his connection with the denomination with which he had been identified for more than thirty years, he spoke of the warm attachment he had for his brethren, and the sadness in parting from them, but had no words of condemnation to offer. He expected to cherish the warmest friendship for them, even though they in turn might say he was unwise in making the change. Mr. Beardslee is a man of energy, and enters upon his work with the determination to succeed.
T. N. BECKEY, Principal of Quincy Street School, was born in Adrian, Mich, March 27, 1851. After passing through the necessary preparatory studies, he entered Hillsdale College, where he made special studies of the sciences and mathematics. After leaving college, he engaged in the profession of teaching, which he followed about five years in his native State. In 1877, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Saline County; here he engaged in teaching for a time. In 1878, he entered the State University at Lawrence, taking select studies; then returned to Saline County and resumed teaching. In the fall of 1880, he removed to Lawrence to take his present position, to which he had previously been elected. Mr. Beckey was married in Lawrence, Kan., June 10, 1880, to Miss Mary, daughter of A. Murphy, Esq., of Lawrence. They have one son - Earl D. Mr. Beckey is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM BEDALE, house-painter, paper-hanger, etc.; business established in 1877; employs four men in the season. Mr. Bedale was born in Surrey County, England, December 20, 1823; attended school in his native county. At the age of fourteen years, he went to sea and followed his profession twenty years, through all the grades from boy to Captain, visiting in his voyages almost all parts of the world. On one of his trips to the west coast of Africa, in 1854, he had the honor of meeting Dr. David Livingstone. In 1857, he retired from the active service and settled in New York City, where he engaged in the transportation service in the harbor, operating two lighters. These he lost in the great fire at the Erie Railroad depot. In 1870, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Lawrence, where he has since resided. He was married in London, England, to Miss Elizabeth Curtis, who died in Brooklyn, N. Y., leaving one son - William. He was married in Brooklyn, N. Y., to Miss Sarah A. Watkins, of that city. Mr. B. is a member of the City Council, now serving his second term, to which he was elected unanimously. He is W. M. of Lawrence Lodge, No. 6, A., F & A. M.
HON. PETER BELL, attorney at law, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, June 18, 1837. He received an education in the common schools of his native county. In 1852, his parents moved to Wood County, Ohio, where he continued his education in the sciences and languages under a private tutor. Commenced his professional studies in 1859 with Judge Cook, at Perrysburg, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar April 8, 1861, at Toledo, then formed a partnership with his precepter (sic), Judge Cook, and engaged in practice at Perrysburg. In October, 1862, he enlisted in the army and was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company H, Sixty-seventh Ohio Infantry. Afterward was changed to Company K, in the same regiment. He participated in the engagements at Morris and Folly Island, July 9, 1863. On July 18, 1863, he took part in the storming of Ft. Wagner. In the hand to hand contest inside the fort, he captured the Colonel of the Fourth Georgia Infantry. In November, 1863, he resigned on account of sickness, and returned to Perrysburg and resumed practice. In 1866, he removed to Saginaw, Mich., where he engaged in the real estate business and the practice of law. In the fall of 1869, he removed to Kansas, and settled in Woodson County, and engaged in practice. In 1873, he commenced the publication of the Woodson County Advocate. While in this business, the death of Chief Justice Chase occurred, and Mr. Bell was one of the first to propose the name of Hon. M. R. Waite for Chief Justice. In the spring of 1874, he moved to Burlington, Coffey County, where he published the Voice of the People until December of that year, when he sold out and returned to Woodson County, and again took up the practice of law. In the fall of 1875, he was elected Judge of the Seventh Judicial District, to fill vacancy occasioned by the resignation of J. R. Goodin. In the spring of 1876, he removed to Iola, Allen County. In November of that year, he was elected County Attorney. In January, 1881, he settled in Lawrence, where he engaged in practice. Mr. Bell was married in Wood County, Ohio, July 3, 1859, to Miss Eliza J. Bell, of Lucas County. They have six children - Asher C., Georgie L., Lizzie, Anna S., Bertha and Carl. Mr. B. was Secretary of the convention of County Attorneys that met at Topeka in 1877. He is a member of Washington Post, G. A. R., and of Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F.
H. E. BENSON, Treasurer of Leis Chemical Manufacturing Company, was born in Brooklyn, Mass., October 7, 1837. His parents moved to Northampton, Mass., about 1841, where he was educated in the graded and high schools. In 1850, they moved to New York City, where he commenced his business life as a clerk in the mercantile establishments of that city. In 1858, on the solicitation of S. W. Eldridge, an old friend of the family, he moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence. Here he took a position as clerk of the Eldridge House, continuing to hold this until the house was destroyed in the Quantrell raid in 1863. Shortly afterward, was appointed Chief Clerk of the Commissary Department of the Seventeenth Army Corps, and in that position accompanied Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea up to the grand review at Washington. He then returned to Lawrence, and in 1866 took a position in the banking house of W. H. Lykens. After the bank closed in 1868, he accepted a position in the National Bank of Lawrence. Was shortly afterward appointed assistant cashier of the Second National Bank, and still later, cashier of the Exchange Bank, all of Lawrence. In 1877, he became connected with the Douglas County Bank, a position he still retains, in addition to performing the duties of the Treasuryship of the Leis Chemical Manufacturing Company.
C. A. BERGER, grocer, born in Saxony, Germany, April 19, 1834, son of Carl Berger and Sarah Rentzh, came to the United States in 1856. Settled in New Orleans, La., and afterward lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Washington, Ind. Came to Kansas in 1867; settled in Lawrence; established business in 1868. His store is well adapted for the business, and in a good location. He carries first-class family groceries, and also butter, eggs, flour, vegetables, fruit, canned goods and confectionery. Mr. B. has the reputation for honest dealing, and on that account has a large patronage from the best citizens in Lawrence. Beside his store, he owns considerable property in the city. Mr. B. was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, December 26, 1858, to Miss Caroline, daughter of Henry Eichhorne and Fredrecka Weiderman. They have three children - Rosa T., born June 11, 1863; Lillie, born September 28, 1865, and William August, born September 24, 1870.
W. BERGMAN, dealer in clothing, hats and caps, gents' furnishing goods, trunks, etc. The business was established in 1865, by Mr. Bergman. He employs one clerk, and carries a stock of from $15,000 to $16,000. Mr. Bergman was born in Bavaria, Germany, January 28, 1831. He was educated there, and in 1848 immigrated to the United States, and located in Cumberland, Md., where he engaged in mercantile business. In 1851, he removed to Parkersburg, Va., where he remained in business until 1857. In the latter year, he moved to Palmyra, Mo., and in 1862 moved to St. Joseph, Mo., and three years later moved to Lawrence. Has been engaged in sale of clothing since 1848. Mr. Bergman was married in Lawrence in 1867 to Miss Fanny House, of Lawrence. They have two children - Louis and Ralph.
V. F. BOOR, of Boor & McIlravy, proprietors of the Lawrence Business College, was born in Wayne County, Ill., June 26, 1861. He then received an education of the common and graded schools, and afterward entered the Gem City Business College, at Quincy, Ill., graduating in 1862. He then engaged in teaching penmanship and book-keeping at that college, and also for a term at the Chaddock Business College. This continued until the present firm was organized.
PAUL R. BROOKS, County Treasurer of Douglas County, was born in York, Me., July 22, 1834. His grandfather was Solomon Brooks, and his grandmother Lois Brooks, and he is one of the sixth generation on both sides; from Thomas Brooks, of Concord, Mass. Thus; Thomas, of Concord, father, Noah, Ebenezer, Peter, Solomon, mother, Daniel, Job, John Lois, Jeremiah, Paul R. His father's name is Jeremiah Brooks, and his mother's was Eveline Parsons. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are still living (1883) at York, Me. Paul R. received a good common school education, qualifying him for the ordinary avocations of life, which has been vastly increased by a judicious and extensive course of reading. He has stored his mind with valuable information on all the subjects that have agitated the public mind since he became an actor on the stage of life. After leaving school, he spent about two years in a country store, followed by three months in a Boston printing office. The printing business was not suited to his tastes, and he returned to merchandising, and spent two years in a dry goods store in Boston. During these years of business activity, he has not been an idle spectator of the political agitations that distracted the country, and his mind was directed to the great struggle in Kansas, sympathizing with the Free-State men, as well as desiring to improve his own fortunes. He started for Kansas, arriving in Lawrence in September, 1854. He soon after embarked in mercantile pursuits, and purchased of the lamented Caleb S. Pratt, who fell at Wilson's Creek, a small stock of goods which had just been opened, and really started the first store in Lawrence. His store-house was a small, unchinked log cabin, which for a long time stood at the north end of Massachusetts street. The house was without a floor, about 12x16 feet in size, and was the first house of any description erected in Lawrence. He chinked and daubed the house, and occupied it for the first winter, bringing his goods by team from Kansas City. In what was known as the Wakarusa war of 1855, he was an active Free-State participant. Like all other Free-State men, he aroused and encountered the hostility of the Pro-slavery party, and in the early part of 1856, his goods were captured by the enemy, leaving him utterly bankrupt. His pluck and credit, both of which were good, enabled him to revive his business in a short time, and up to 1862, he was among the most reputable of the Boston merchants. He was a member of the City Council of Lawrence, celebrated in the history of that place as the city organization against which Gov. Robert J. Walker marched 500 United States troops with the threat of annihilating it. The troops were encamped on the west side of town for several weeks, and the Council held its regular meetings, with no serious results, the latter expressing utter contempt for the military, in which he fully concurred. In 1859, he was elected a member of the Territorial Legislature, in which he became a useful, working member. In 1863, he was elected County Clerk of Douglas County, being then, as now, the second in importance and population in the State. He conducted the business of the office with such efficiency and satisfaction as to secure his re-election for five more terms; sometimes without opposition. He became a Mason, and has taken the degrees up to Royal Arch. He subscribes to the general principles of the Republican party, and has never changed his politics since he attained his majority. He was married October 3, 1858, to Miss Mary A. Boughton, whose parents reside in Cayuga County, N. Y. Her father, Rev. Alanson Boughton, is a Baptist minister, eminent in his profession. His religious views are what would be called very liberal, and he is in no sense a sectarian. Mr. Brook is a man of fine personal address, good social qualities, positive in his convictions, without being dogmatic, a useful citizen in all his relations in life, with an extensive acquaintance in business and politics throughout the State. Removing to Lawrence while in his minority, he has been so completely identified with every movement for the advancement of his town as to have made him prominent among the useful, enterprising business and public men of the city and State. His name has become well-known throughout the State as the synonym of integrity and efficiency in a public officer, while his character as a citizen is above reproach. Mr. Brooks, after serving as Deputy County Treasurer, was elected in 1881 to the office of County Treasurer, which he now holds.
S. A. BROWN & CO., S. Brown, manager, dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, paint, etc. Business established in Lawrence, April, 1880. This is one of seventy branches scattered through the Western States. The parent house is S. A. Brown & Co., 777 South Canal street, Chicago, lumber dealers and extensive manufacturers of sash, doors, blinds and mouldings. Mr. Brown first commenced business in 1870 in copartnership with Mr. G. B. Shaw, under the firm name of S. A. Brown & Co., and were located at Burlington, Kan. In the spring of 1881, Mr. Brown bought out the interest of Mr. Shaw, and now owns the entire business, though the firm name remains unchanged. He employs nearly 300 men, and manufactures large quantities of sash, doors, and blinds. He also sold about 75,000,000 feet of lumber in 1881. This business is now one of the leading ones in its line in Chicago.
DAVID CHASE BUFFAM (deceased), son of Edward Buffam of Salem, Mass., was born November 11, 1822. He was among the early settlers of Kansas, coming to Lawrence with the second party of emigrants. While guarding a fort in the night he was accidentally shot in the fleshing part of the thigh, which crippled him for life. In this maimed condition he was overtaken between Lawrence and Lecompton, September 17, 1856, by a large party of border ruffians who were returning from one of their expeditions into Kansas; they shot Mr. Buffam, inflicting a mortal wound, stole his horses, and left him to die. He sent to his father, as his last words, "I am willing to die for Kansas and liberty." His younger brother, George Buffam, who was a deaf mute, but an excellent carpenter, was living in Kansas, and doing a good business. His brother's terrible death made him hopelessly insane, and he was taken back to his father's home in Salem.
JAMES H. CANFIELD, A. M., Professor of History and Political Science, Kansas State University, was born in Delaware, Ohio, March 18, 1847. His parents moved to New York City in 1851, and to Brooklyn in 1852, where his father the Rev. E. H. Canfield, D. D., held the Rectorship of Christ's Church for many years. The subject of this sketch graduated in the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute in 1864, the same year entered Williams College, where he took the full classical course, and graduated in 1868, with the degree A. B. In 1876, he had the degree of A. M. conferred by his Alma Mater. From 1868 to 1871, he was engaged in the construction of railroads in Iowa and Minnesota, at the same time being engaged in reading law. Was admitted to the bar in Michigan, in 1872. Immediately afterward, opened an office in St. Joseph. He engaged here in general practice, until 1877, when he moved to Lawrence, to take the chair of English Language and Literature and History in the State University. The chair was divided in 1881, Prof. Spring taking English Language, and Literature. Prof. Canfield taking his present chair. During his residence in St. Joseph, Mich., Prof. Canfield was requested to take the superintendency of the city schools, they being at that time in a disorganized state. He held the office long enough to thoroughly systemize the schools, and then resigned. Prof. Canfield was married in Clear Lake, Iowa, June 24, 1873, to Miss Flavia A. Camp. They have two children - James and Dorothea. The Professor is a member of the Episcopal Church; of the Douglas County Bar Association and several literary societies.
OLOF CARLSON, proprietor of carriage works, was born in Stockholm, Sweden, July 25, 1840. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the blacksmith trade. Graduating before the Mechanical Association of Stockholm in 1858, receiving at the time a silver medal for skill displayed in the trade. In 1865 he emigrated to the United States, and settled in Lawrence, Kan., where he worked at his trade until he commenced his present business in 1866. Mr. Carlson was married in Lawrence, November 4, 1865, to Mrs. Sophia Fritchel, a native of Sweden. They have two children - Emma M. and Charles. Mr. Carlson is a member of the Scandinavian Society, and of Lawrence Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F.
ROBERT CARPENTER, Treasurer of the Kansas Fruit Vinegar Company, was born at Portage, Wyoming County, N. Y., October 20, 1828. In 1831, his parents moved to Farmersville, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., where he received his education, and afterward engaged in teaching school. In 1854 he went to Sparta, Monroe County, Wis. There his business became varied. First as contractor and builder, next as superintendent of a saw mill and its accompaniments, looking after the logging parties engaged in cutting logs for said mill, as well as the sales of the lumber after it was sawed. His health failing, he next engaged in the teaming business, hauling goods for the merchants from the nearest shipping point, a distance of twenty-eight miles. This business he followed during the summer months, teaching school during the winter months; after this, he went to farming, and followed this for two years. Then, he, in company with two other men, erected a tannery, having a large harness shop attached to it. This business he followed up to, about October 20, 1861. When the war breaking out, or rather it becoming certain that we were to have a prolonged war, he enlisted as a soldier, and assisted to raise a company in his town and its surroundings. He was elected First Lieutenant of the company. He cleared out his stock in his tannery, in contract with the Government for saddles and cavalry equipments. His company was one known as Company A. Third Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry. In 1862, he was promoted to the Captaincy of same company, which he commanded until January, 1865, when his term of service having expired, he requested the Governor of Wisconsin to have himself and those of his men whose terms of service had expired mustered out of the service. The Governor complied, and notified the Captain of said compliance, but when it became known to the commander of the military district in which his command had been doing duty, while he let the men go, he would not consent that the Captain should leave, contending that the service could not afford to spare the Captain, that his services were to vital importance to the Government. Hence, his retention. The Captain was offered commissions of Major or of Lieutenant Colonel of his old regiment, many of its members having re-enlisted as veterans, and had been re-organized as a veteran regiment, but he would not accept of promotion, when the war was to all intents and purposes at a close, so the governor of Wisconsin sent him another commission of Captain, and in this capacity he served the balance of his time in the service. He really acted as Captain scarcely any of the last two years of his service, having never less than two and, a greater part of the time, five companies, under his immediate command, doing the duties of a greater part Major and Lieutenant Colonel more than of Captain. In 1864 he was detailed to collect the Osage Indians together, or so many of them as were friendly, and settle a difficulty with them that threatened to cause them to desert our cause and go over to the enemy, and it was advised that a large sum of money should be paid them to settle the matter. Capt. Carpenter called the chiefs together and the matter was discussed, and the Captain succeeded in making it apparent to the Indians that the blame in the matter all rested with them, and not with the Government. That instead of their receiving restitution as they demanded and fully expected, they might consider themselves well off to be allowed to go quietly to their camps, and hereafter to be allowed to do the duties of soldiers for the Government. This put a stop to further troubles from this source. Prior to this, the Indians had habitually gained their demands upon almost any pretext, whether fancied or real, that they saw fit to set up. In 1864, the war was fast drawing to a close, and the entire country in the West having been so entirely under military rule for three successive years - and especially in the State of Missouri had this been the case - that there were no civil courts or officers to enforce civil law in some of the counties. The Captain having command of territory comprising nearly all of Bates and Vernon Counties, in Missouri, re-organized the courts in Vernon County, Mo. He advised with the Governor of the State, and solicited and obtained the appointment of all the officers requisite to re-establish civil law, and its enforcement in said county. In 1865, he was appointed by the Military Commander of the District of Kansas, Superintendent of the collection of Government Trains for the Plains, and furnishing them escorts to Fort Kearney, Nebraska. This was done to protect said trains from the predatory attacks of the wild Indians. His headquarters were established at Marysville, Marshall County, Kan., he continued in this line of service up to August 15, 1865, when he came to Lawrence, Douglas Co., Kan., and up to 1870, was engaged in the cattle and grain trade. In 1870, he established the wool, hide and fur business, which business he has followed up to the present time. In 1875, he added to his business the wholesale trade of leather, saddlery, hard ware and shoe findings. He was elected Treasurer of the Kansas Fruit Vinegar Company (a joint stock company) at its organization in June, 1882. Mr. Carpenter was married in Vernon County, Mo., in 1868, to Miss Mary E., granddaughter of the Rev. Mr. Dodge, a minister of the Presbyterian Church, and a missionary to the Osage Indians, at an early day. They have two children - James and Walter S. Mr. Carpenter is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of Washington Post, No. 12, G. A. R.
WILLIAM H. CARRUTH, A. B., Professor of French and German Languages and Literature, Kansas State University, was born in Osawatomie, Kan., April 5, 1859. His parents moved to Lawrence in 1866, where he attended the Lawrence High School, in his preparatory studies, and then entered the State University, graduating in 1880 with the degree of A. B. The Professor was appointed assistant to the chair he now holds in 1879, and held that position until elected to present one in 1882. Mr. Carruth was married in Lawrence, in June, 1882, to Miss Frances Schlegel, who held the Professorship of Modern Languages in the University from 1874 until 1882.
MRS. M. CASEY, dealer in second-hand goods, was born in Bresen, South Wales, from whence she emigrated with her husband in 1872 to the United States, and settled in Lawrence, where she has since resided. Immediately on her arrival, she entered upon her present business, which by the united help of her husband, has been established on a firm basis. In her store may be found almost anything you may call for, at a reasonable price. So great has her business become that she employs from four to ten hands the year round. Her maiden name was Crowley, but before she came here she was married in Swanzey, Wales, to James Casey, who died in April, 1882, leaving her in sole charge of her immense business. Mrs. Casey has two interesting and lovely children, viz.: John and Lewis. But few women could so successfully conduct such a business, but her native talent and natural suavity are sure indications of her genius and power to prosecute her business to good advantage.