KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


DONIPHAN COUNTY, Part 19

[TOC] [part 18] [Cutler's History]

MARION TOWNSHIP.

SAMUEL ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Wathena, came to Kansas April 17, 1854, and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has lived ever since. He was one of the first Commissioners of the township. He was in the army during the late war, and enlisted March 7, 1862, at St. Joseph, Mo., in Company B, Fifth Regiment Missouri State Militia, United States Volunteers. He participated in a number of skirmishes and participated in the dangers and privations of his comrades, and was mustered out of the service June 27, 1863 at St. Joseph. He was born in Monongahela County, West Va., February 22, 1830, and lived in his native place until his fifth year, when his parents moved to Monroe County, Ohio, where they resided five years, and then removed to Washington County, in the same State, where he lived three years, and then removed to Wood County, Va., where he lived eight years, and then moved to Missouri, where he lived three years, and then came to Kansas. He was married in Holt County, Mo., July 29, 1855, to Miss Nancy J. Wilson, a native of Missouri. The have three children living, whose names are John William, Emery Allison, and Samuel Thomas Sherman. Mr. A. has a farm which contains 215 acres, 185 of which is upland, thirty bottom land, and 100 wood land, which is mostly covered with a second growth of white oak. His orchard covers twenty acres, and contains 1,000 apple, 500 peach, and 200 cherry trees. He devotes his attention to raising grain and fruits. Mr. Anderson was in moderate circumstances when he came to Kansas, but now, by hard work and economy, has one of the pleasantest homes and finest farms in Doniphan County.

LASTER COPELAND, P. O. farmer, (sic) Geary City, came to Kansas in October, 1850, and located in Elwood Bottom, Doniphan County, where he lived four years and then removed to Wolf River Township, in the same county, where he lived until 1861, and then went to Montana Territory, where he lived seven years and then returned to Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has since resided. He was born in South Carolina, about four miles north of Charleston, S. C. where he lived until his fifth year, when his parents removed to the State of Tennessee, near Nashville. They lived there seven years, and then removed to Ray County, Mo., where they lived two years, and from there removed to Buchanan County Mo., where Mr. C. lived twenty-two years and then came to Kansas. He was married in De Kalb, Buchanan Co., Mo., in December, 1850, to Miss Celia Lewis, a native of Kentucky. By this marriage he had three children, whose names are Jeremiah, Joseph, and Belle. This wife died in 1867. In the year 1868, Mr. C. was married a second time, in Missouri, to Mrs. Martha Jane McCamy. They have two children, whose names are Fannie and Frederic. Mr. Copeland has a farm containing eighty acres of rolling prairie. He makes a specialty of raising grain and hogs. He has a good comfortable house and good farm buildings. He has this year forty acres in corn, which will average thirty-five bushels to the acre. He has raised this season one hundred and fifty bushels of wheat and the same quantity of oats. He has about one-fourth of an acre in grapes, and has a young and thrifty orchard on his farm, consisting of from seventy-five to eighty apple and peach trees.

XAVIER CORDONNIER, farmer, P. O. Palermo, came to Kansas May 15, 1865, and located on the farm where he now resides, in Marion Township. He was in the army during the Price Raid as a member of Company G, Ninth Regiment Kansas Militia, and enlisted in Palermo, Doniphan County, in the fall of 1864; served fourteen days, and was discharged from the United States service in the city of Atchison. He was born in France, and at the early age of three years came with his parents to America. They first located in Stark County, Ohio. They lived here a short time and then moved to Clay County, Mo., where they lived about six years; from there they moved to Buchanan County, Mo., near St. Joseph, remaining ten years; from there Mr. C. came to Kansas. He was married in Buchanan County Mo., May 19, 1854, to Miss Mary Anne Windsor, a native of Ohio. They have eight children, whose names are as follows: Henry A., James A., Eva J., William S., George W., Emma A., Charles U. and Joseph C. Mr. C. has two farms, one containing 160 acres of fine upland, and the other 146 of bottom land, bordering on the Missouri River, remarkable for its fertility. Both farms are well inclosed. He has an orchard of about four acres on the home farm, which contains 300 trees, principally apple. This farm has two pure and never failing streams of water flowing through it. The improvements on the farm are good, consisting of a comfortable, roomy house and good out buildings. In case a cyclone should strike his part of the county, Mr. C. is amply provided with a safe and convenient refuge, for he has one of the finest outside cellars near his residence in the State of Kansas. It is twenty-five feet long, fourteen feet wide, and is securely arched over head. When Mr. C. came to Kansas he was poor, and all he now has was made by honesty economy frugality and hard work.

WILLIAM H. DECKARD, farmer, P. O. Palermo, came to Kansas March 1,1855, and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has since lived. He has been County Commissioner four years, Township Treasurer about eight years, and Clerk of School District No. 35 six years. He is a member of Wathena Lodge, No. 35, A. F. & A. M. He was a wagon-master during the last war, in Gen. Blunt's Division, and served in this capacity four years. Mr. Deckard was born in Saline County (near Miami), Mo., November 1 1830, and lived there until his nineteenth year, and then came to Kansas. He was married in Saline County, Mo., June 3, 1855, to Miss Richard (sic) W. Armstrong, a native of Saline County. They had twelve children, of whom four are living, and whose names are: Willie Alice (married to John P. Kent, a native of Missouri, and now engaged in farming in Brown County), Nancy Anna, Joseph, and Emma. Mr. Deckard has a fertile farm, containing 200 acres, of which forty acres are bottom land, and the balance is cleared. The land is all enclosed. He has a fine and commodious residence, and good out buildings. His attention is devoted to raising grain and hogs. Mr. D. Is a thorough farmer, and attends personally to the management of his large and splendid farm.

PETER DEITRICKSON (sic) should be DIET..), farmer, P. O. Geary City, came to Kansas March 1, 1867, and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he lived two years, and then removed to Marion Township, in the same county where he has since resided. He is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. Mr. D. was born in Denmark, August 14, 1844, and lived in his native country until his twenty-first year, when he emigrated to America, and settled in St. Joe, Mo., where he lived nine months and then removed to Buchanan County, in the same State, where he lived two years, and from there came to Kansas. He was married in April, 1874, in Marion Township, to Miss Matilda Jonson, a native of Copenhagen, Denmark. They have four children living, whose names are Hansen Christian, Katie, Mary, and Nellie. Mr. Dietrickson has a farm containing one hundred acres, of which sixty acres are rolling prairie and the balance bottom land. It is all enclosed and has a stream of water running through the farm. He has a fine new residence, barn and outbuildings, which were erected the past year.

LANKFORD P. EVANS, farmer, P. O. Palermo, came to Kansas October 1, 1855. and located in Washington Township, Doniphan County, where he lived twenty-two years, and then removed to Mitchell County, where he lived two years and then returned to Marion Township where he resides at present. He was road overseer of Marion Township, District No. 2, in 1881. He was in the army as a member of Company I, Fifteenth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and enlisted in September, 1863, at Fort Leavenworth. He was in the battle of the Little Blue River, October 21, 1864, where he was severely wounded, and was mustered out of the service October 20, 1865. Mr. Evans was born in De Kalb County, Mo., March 3, 1843, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He was married December 13, 1866, in Centre Township, Doniphan County, to Miss Maria L. Bryan, a native of Ohio. They have four children living whose names are, Mary Myrtle, Lucy Estella, Clara Ella, and Mattie.

JOSEPH GEORGE, farmer, P. O. Palmero, came to Kansas September 24, 1859, and located in Wathena, where he lived and was engaged in railroad contracting and farming until 1867, when he moved on his farm in Marion Township where he has lived since. He is a member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Wathena. Has been road overseer of District No. 1, Marion Township, three years. He was in the United States Service during the "Price Raid," as a member of Company A, Ninth Regiment of Kansas Militia, and was enlisted at Troy in the fall of 1864, served fourteen days and was mustered out at Atchison. Mr. George was born May 1, 1831, in San Mary, France, lived there until his twenty-first year and then emigrated to America, and first located in the city of St. Louis where he lived one year and then removed to St. Louis County, where he lived three years and was engaged in farming. From there he removed to Lankin County, Mo., where he lived one year, and from there came to Kansas. Mr. George was married in St. Louis County, Mo., January 13, 1857, to Miss Julia Droze, a native of France. They have three children living whose names are, Mary, Francis and Martin. Mr. George has a farm of ninety acres, all upland, very fertile and well surrounded with osage orange hedge. His orchard covers about two acres, and contains about 400 apple, 100 peach, and fifty plum, pear and cherry trees. He has two splendid wells of water on his place. The improvements on his farm consist of a comfortable house, small barn and other outbuildings.

FRANCIS MARION GREENSTREET, blacksmith and farmer, P. O. Geary City, came to Kansas in August, 1870, and located in Marion Township, where he has since lived and carried on business. Mr. Greenstreet participated in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company B, Ninth Regiment Missouri Cavalry, and was enlisted January 1, 1862, at Columbia, Boone County. Mo. He took part in the battle of Glasgow, Mo., and numerous other engagements and skirmishes, and was mustered out in February 1865, at Macon City. Mo. He was born October 15, 1837, in Franklin County, Mo., and lived there until his thirteenth year. He then travelled, sometimes in company with others, and sometimes alone, in various parts of the United States until the breaking out of the war. After his discharge from the army he went to Winthrop, Mo., where he lived until he came to Kansas. Mr. G. was married in March, 1866, in Winthrop, Mo., to Miss Maria Y. Myers, a native of Indiana. They have one child, a girl, whose name is Ella May.

JOHN HAYS, farmer, Palermo, came to Kansas in April, 1855, and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He was County Commissioner one term. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a member of the Grange and the Union League. He was born in Washington County, Pa., April 4, 1816, and lived in his native place until his twenty-second year, and then removed to Jackson County, Ohio, where he lived seventeen years, and from there came to Kansas Territory. He was married August 31, 1844, in Jackson County, Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Culp, a native of Ohio. They have seven children living, whose names are, Nancy Jane (married to John Wynkoop, a blacksmith, living in Robinson, Brown County. They have four children living). Mary Ann (the widow of Hugh J. Randolph, living in Marion Township. She has four children living). Zephaniah (married to Miss Addie A. Little, a native of New Hampshire. They have two children). Maria; Andrew (married to Miss Nettie Heggs, a native of Ohio. They have three children living). Elanor (sic) (married to Isaac Wilson, a farmer living in Missouri. They have two children). William (married to Miss Heggs, a native of Ohio). Mr. Hays has a fine farm of 200 acres, all upland. He has an orchard containing 150 apple, peach, pear and cherry trees. He devotes all his attention to raising grain and hogs, of which he has a large number of the Poland-China breed. His farm is mostly enclosed.

ZEPHANIAH HAYS, farmer, P. O. Palermo, came to Kansas in April, 1855, and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He is Township trustee and Clerk of School District No. 11. Mr. Hays was born in Jackson County, Ohio, December 11, 1847, and lived in his native place until his seventh year and then came to Kansas with his parents. He was married in Troy, Doniphan County, February 27, 1880, to Miss Addie A. Little, a native of New Hampshire. They have two children, whose names are: John Nathaniel and Emmett Emerson.

HARVEY G. HEWINS, farmer, P. O. Palermo, came to Kansas in the spring of 1868, and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has since lived. He has been Township Trustee for nine years, and a member of the School Board of District No. 85, Marion Township, for the past twelve years. He was born in Augusta, Me., October 31, 1836, and lived there until his nineteenth year, when he moved to Monona County, Iowa, where he lived two years, and from there "crossed the plains" to Salt Lake City during the Utah expedition in 1858, and was in the United States Government employ. He was thus engaged three years and then went to the Idaho and Salmon River Mines and was engaged in prospecting for three years. He then went to Virginia City, Nev., where he was engaged in mining. He remained there five years and from there came to Kansas. He was married April 19, 1870, at Geary City, to Miss Emma Tshudy, a native of Maryland. She came to Kansas with her mother in 1856, and located at Geary City, in which neighborhood she lived until her marriage. They have three children, whose names are: John M., Laura, and Bertha. Mr. Hewins has an upland farm of 160 acres - seventy of which are in cultivation and the balance in timber. He has a small orchard covering about five acres and containing 500 apple, peach, plum and cherry trees. All his time is devoted to raising grain and fruits. He has a good residence and outbuildings. His farm is very fertile and among the best in Doniphan County.

DUDLEY S. MOWREY, farmer, P. O. Palermo, came to Kansas in the fall of 1856, and located on his farm in Marion Township, where he has ever since resided. He participated in the late war as a member of Company A, Thirteenth Regiment Kansas Infantry, and enlisted in September, 1862, at Troy, Kas. He took part in the battle of Prairie Grove, and served other smaller engagements during the term of his service, and was finally discharged from the United States Service in July, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth. Mr. Mowrey was born in Andrews County, Mo., in the year 1842, and lived in his native place until his third year, when his parents moved to Buchanan County Mo., where they resided until they removed to Kansas. Mr. Mowrey was married in the winter of 1872, in Marion Township, to Miss Armelda Jane Donaldson, a native of Missouri. They have five children living, whose names are: Lydia, Addie, Calvin, Ludie, and Dora. Mr. M. has a farm of eighty acres, all bottom land, and noted for the great crops of corn raised on it. He also has a small farm of forty acres of prairie land, about one and a half miles from the "home farm." This farm has a fine stream of water running through it. His farms are well enclosed, and show evidence of careful and intelligent cultivation. His improvements consist of a comfortable house and good outbuildings.

CAPT. JOSEPH RANDOLPH, farmer, Palermo, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1854 and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has resided ever since. Capt. Randolph was Sheriff of Doniphan County in 1859; has been County Commissioner three years, and Justice of the Peace four terms. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of Arcana Lodge, No. 81 A. F. & A. M. He was in the army during the War of the Rebellion as Lieutenant of Company G, Eighth Kansas Infantry, and enlisted in the summer of 1861. He shared in all the hardships and dangers of his comrades, and was finally discharged for disability at Nashville Tenn., in the summer of 1863. He was born in Alleghany County, Pa., July 1,1817, and lived in his native State until 1854, and then came to Kansas. Capt. Randolph was Under-Sheriff of his native county for one term, and Marshal of the city of Pittsburg for one term. He has been married twice; his first marriage took place in Armstrong County, Pa., in April, 1839, to Miss Mary L. Jones, a native of Pennsylvania. By this marriage he had five children, of whom only two are living, viz: Joseph W., married to Miss Melissa Jane Leonard, a native of Missouri. They have five children. And George M., married to Rebecca Ann Dunlap, a native of Iowa. They have four children. Capt. Randolph's second marriage occurred November 1, 1869, at Wathena, to Miss Rhoda Saffel, a native of Ohio. They have four children living, whose names are, Emma R., Samuel Liggett, Actressa Florence, and Josephine Fradelia. Mr. R.'s great grandfather, Nathaniel Fitz Randolph, Esq., was one of the founders of Princeton College, New Jersey, and donated the land on which the college stands. His father was in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, which he entered at the early age of sixteen years and in which he served until the close of the war. His father was one of the earliest settlers of Alleghany County, Pa. Capt. R. has a farm of 240 acres, mostly bottom land and is very fertile. He has a thrifty young orchard containing about 150 apple, peach, and cherry trees. He devotes all his attention to raising grain and fine hogs, of which he has about sixty head of the Poland China breed. When Capt. R. landed in Kansas he was in moderate circumstances, but by his industry and thrift has placed himself in comfortable circumstances, and now ranks among the wealthy farmers of Doniphan County.

HENRY ROTH, farmer, P. O. Palermo; came to Kansas in the fall of 1854 and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He is a member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Wathena. He was born May 22, 1821, in Letta, Germany and lived there until his twenty-sixth year, when he emigrated to America and first located in York, Pa., where he lived about one and a half years, and then removed to Louisville Ky., where he stayed three years, and from there removed to St. Joseph, Mo., where he lived three years, and then came to Kansas. He was married August l8,1849, in Louisville Ky., to Miss Mary Strautman, a native of Hanover, Germany. They have four children living whose names are: Lizzie, Henry, John and Annie. Mr. Roth has a fine farm of 207 acres, 137 acres of which are cleared, and 70 acres in timber. He has a comfortable house, large barn, and good outbuildings. He has on his farm a thrifty young orchard which covers about two acres and contains 1,000 apple, 500 peach, and about 50 cherry, prune and pear trees. He has about an acre in grapes, which he sells when in season in the markets of Wathena, and St. Joseph. He pays particular attention to raising grain and fruits. Mr. Roth was in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company A, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and enlisted in Troy, in August, 1862, and participated in the battles of Cane Hill and Prairie Grove, Ark., and numerous smaller engagements, and was discharged from the United States service for disability, in March, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth.

HARVEY N. WINN, farmer, P. O. Palermo; came to Kansas in August, 1878 and located in Marion Township, Doniphan County, where he has since resided. He was Clerk of the Township last year, and is at present one of the Justices of the Peace of his Township. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was born near Zanesville, Muskingum Co., Ohio, June 5, 1855, and lived in his native place until his twenty-second year, and then removed to St. Joseph, Mo., where he lived one year and was engaged in teaching school, and from there came to Kansas. Mr. Winn was married March 2, 1879, in Marion Township, to Miss Alice M. Tuthill, a native of Maine. They have one child, a boy whose name is Frank Tuthill. Mr. Winn owns a farm which contains 255 acres, all upland and all in cultivation, except sixty acres which is in timber-land. His orchard occupies eight acres, has 500 apple, 200 peach, and about 70 plum, pear and cherry trees. He pays particular attention to fruit growing and stock raising. He has a fine residence, large barn and other farm buildings. His farm is all under fence. He is one of the young and enterprising farmers of Doniphan County, sees personally to the management of his farm and is bound to succeed.

BURR OAK TOWNSHIP.

JOHN M. BARRETT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 36, P. O. Wathena. This enterprising agriculturist was born in County Mayo, Ireland, March 16, 1831, was educated and partially reared in his native country, after which he went to Canada, where he followed agricultural pursuits for a number of years. He afterward spent considerable time in New York State. In 1860 Mr. Barrett came to Kansas with the intention of locating, but owing to the unsettled condition of affairs at that time did not invest and left the State, returning in 1869, purchasing his present home. His residence is one of the most desirable in the county, and the general surroundings indicate thrift and comfort. He was married in 1850 to Miss Ellen McEvoy; by this union they have eight children - Mary A., now Mrs. Flynn; Thomas, James, Anthony and Kate, reside in Montana Territory; Martin, John and Richard are at home.

WILLIAM LICHLITER, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Troy; was born in Page County, Va., in the Shenandoah Valley, September 1, 1814. His father was a saddler and William adopted and learned the trade. When twenty-two years of age he came to Illinois, locating in Adams County, where he resided for three years, when he came to Missouri, being one of the proprietors of the Platte purchase. He was prominently identified with the early building interests of St. Joseph, where he remained until 1858, when he became a resident of Doniphan County, locating where he now resides. Mr. Lichliter has been one of Kansas' most stalwart pioneers, and contributed amply toward the development of Doniphan County. Although he was reared in a slave State, he never approved of the traffic, and came to Kansas with the avowed intention of doing all in his power to abolish it. He was married in Quincy, Ill., to Miss Ann M. Hann; they have had ten children, all of whom are living - Mary C., Therisa J., John M., James M., Clerinda, Ann E., William A., Oliver K., Millard F. and Daniel.

[TOC] [part 18] [Cutler's History]