|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Elwood owes its existence to an adventurer named Rose, alias George Ingraham. This man came to the Missouri in 1856 and bought the claim of H. Thompson. The original town site, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, was laid out the same year by the Roseport Town Company. In the office of the Register of Deeds, it is described as the northeast quarter of Section 24, Township 3, and Range 23. The Roseport Town Company consisted of Rose and a party of St. Joseph capitalists, and purchased of its owner the Thompson claim, paying therefor about ten thousand dollars. In1857 the identity of Rose was discovered by a man with whom he had some business difficulty, and the speculator hastily sold his interest in the town and left for parts unknown. A reorganization of the town followed, and it was christened Elwood - this occured in June, 1857. The new company at once added a large tract, embracing four hundred and eighty acres, to the town site. This, with the land already in their hands, cost not far from $40,000. While still in the hands of Rose, the Roseport Town Company projected many improvements. In the spring of 1857, the Great Western Hotel was begun and numerous smaller structures were started. After the organization of the Elwood Town Company, the hotel was rapidly pushed to completion. When finished, it was one of the finest hotels in the West, having seventy-five rooms. It was under the management of S. Webster. In the palmy days of the town, when it was a dreaded rival of St. Joseph, this hotel was constantly full, and yielded a neat revenue to its owners. In 1861, the encroachments of the river made it necessary to remove the hotel. and it was torn down and sold piecemeal, its scattered timbers forming parts of houses all over the county. The town once had a live population of fifteen hundred, as is shown by a list still in the hands of A. Disque, but now it is a typical deserted village, and can lay claim to less than six hundred.
The first structure on the town site was the log cabin of Mr. Thompson, who was the original owner of the claim. Soon after his arrival Rose built a small dwelling, the second on the town site; the third building was a dram-shop. The first store in the town was run by A. E. Campbell. The first hardware store was opened (sic) W. & F. Ellsworth. The first attorney was A. L. Lee, who was soon followed by T. A. Osborn, from 1873 to 1879 Governor of the State. About the same time came E. Russell, who was an insurance agent; and D. W. Wilder, later Auditor of the State, who dealt in real estate. In 1858, Dr. S. D. Smith arrived from New York and commenced practice. A meat market was opened by Abel Montgomery in 1858. J. E. Dryden, who built the Great Western Hotel, began work as a carpenter in 1857; and Cook and Selover opened a livery stable the same year. Two steam saw mills were built prior to 1859, by W. H. High and W. L. Lewis, but were removed after a short-time.
A postoffice was opened at Elwood in 1857, and James P. Brace appointed postmaster. Following him came William Ellsworth, J. W. Robinson, who entered the army and was represented by A. Disque, James Noyes, A. Disque, Allen Porter, and A. Disque, who has held the office since 1879.
The Elwood Town Company disbanded at the beginning of the war, the last town election taking place in 1861, when J. W. Robinson was elected Mayor. It was not until 1876 that the city was re-organized and an election held, resulting in the selection of J. W. Montgomery as Mayor, and the appointment of J. R. Stone as City Clerk. The Mayors since that time have been as follows: A. Disque, 1877 ; W. Elliott, 1878-79; A. Carroll, 1880; A. Porter, 1881-82. During the same period the City Clerks have been: J. R. Stone, 1877 ; Charles Cherry, 1878-79; J. R. Stone, 1880-81-82.
At the present time there are no regular services save those of the colored people, at any church in the town, a fact due to the almost complete decadence of the place. In the days of its prosperity the town had ample provision for the spiritual welfare of its denizens. St. Mark's Episcopal Church was built, under John Tracy, Rev. J. E. Ryan, officiating, Rev. Mr. Whitney held services for the Congregationalists and up to a late date the Methodist Episcopal Church was supplied by a pastor from Wathena. These observances have, however, vanished with the population that called for them.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP.
REV. B. F. BOWMAN, southwest quarter of Section 30. P. O. Wathena; is one of the pioneer ministers of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Kansas. He is a native of Virginia, and was born in Rockingham County, November 23, 1822. His father, Jacob, was a native of Virginia, and his grandfather, Benjamin Bowman, was a native of Virginia. His mother, Rebecca Garver Bowman, was of German extraction. His grandfathers, both paternal and maternal, were Dunkard ministers, and came to Virginia during the Revolution, on account of their religious views. The father of B. F. was a farmer and miller, was educated in the German and English languages, and substantially identified in Rockingham County. B. F. was reared and educated in the Dunkard faith. When twenty- one years of age he went to Champaign County, Ohio, and engaged in school teaching for a time, and afterward in Peru, Miami Co., Ind., where he in connection with teaching was agent for the American Bible Society. He had early in life turned his attention to theology. He was a close Biblical student, continually preparing himself for the ministry. In August, 1850, he entered the North Indiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Cambridge, was appointed to preach on the Roseville Circuit, and continued over six years. On the 29th of September 1852, he was married to Miss Sophronia L. O'Harra, a native of Franklin County, Ohio. In 1856, pre-empted the farm where he now resides. After locating his family in the new home be engaged in the ministerial labors, in what was then known as Osena Circuit, Atchison County. Soon after he was called to the Columbus Circuit, now Troy Circuit, where he has since been. Rev. Mr. Bowman has organized a number of societies in Northeastern Kansas and experienced many hardships in preaching the cause of Christianity at an early day. Has done much toward elevating the religious and moral tone of the several communities on his circuit, and wherever known is respected by all, regardless of denomination. In a new country just forming in order to have an assurance of a brilliant future we cannot have too many such men as Rev. B. F. Bowman. Their children are as follows: Homer C. (born in Wabash County, Ind., August 21, 1853); Collins H. (born in Hartford City, Ind., November 11,1855); Hosmer L. (born in Doniphan County, Kan., April 22, 1858); Austa (born In Doniphan County, Kan., April 19, 1861); Lincoln H. (born in Leavenworth County, Kan., June 10, 1864; Eddy H. (born in Doniphan County, Kan., November 19, 1866).
JOHN BRAZELTON, merchant, Wathena, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Schuyler County, October 15, 1834 His father, Alexander Brazelton, was a pioneer of that county, and one of its best known citizens. John was educated, reared and learned the harness-making trade in Illinois. During the Rebellion he was in the Government employ manufacturing harness. In 1865 he came to Wathena, pursuing his vocation for a time; also for two years he worked at the harness trade in St. Joseph, Mo. In 1873 he embarked in mercantile pursuits; has been successful, owing to the act that he does to others as he would be done by. Mr. Brazelton is one of the solid business men of the county. He was married in 1872, to Miss Calley Center, of Illinois. They have four children -John, Jr., Americus, Gertrude and Libbie.
FREDERICK BREISING, merchant, Wathena. This popular citizen and enterprising business man is a native of Illinois, and was born February 1, 1852. His parents were early settlers in Doniphan County, locating in 1859; here Fred. has been reared and educated. For a number of years he has been identified with the commercial interests of Wathena. He is a clever gentleman, widely and well known.
J. W. COOK, proprietor of the Wathena Water Mill, is a native of Connecticut, and was born in Litchfield County, August 9, 1827. Was educated and reared in his native State, following various pursuits until 1857, when he came to Kansas, taking up his abode in Ellwood. He was largely interested in a woolen mill at Blue Rapids, ant for a number of years was engaged in the overland freighting between St. Jo. and Denver, besides his business in Elwood, which was mainly in live stock; in that trade he figured prominently until 1877, when he turned his attention to milling in Wathena. In 1881 his mill was burned out. Phoenix-like, he rebuilt, and is doing a good business. Mr. Cook has had a few reverses, which is incidental to those who take hold of large enterprises to further the interests of a new country. In his early pilgrimage in the State he was the companion of a number of the now public officials, all of whom centered in Elwood. He was married in 1861, to Miss Eliza A. Frisby. By this union they have had two children, W. D. and Katie E. W. D. is a representative of the house of D. M. Steele, St. Jo.
PETER DIETER, butcher and farmer, Wathena, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, November 15, 1842. Was educated, reared and learned his trade in his native country. In 1866 he came to America and located in Doniphan County. He is owner of a fine stock farm adjacent to Wathena, and is one of the most substantial and progressive citizens in the county. He was married in 1867. Miss Louisa Gurnig became his wife. They have five children - Maria Elizabeth, Annie May, George, Peter, Jr., and Caroline. Mr. Dieter is an Encampment Odd Fellow.
F. H. DRENNING, attorney, Wathena, was born in Indiana County, Pa., April 27, 1836; was there educated and reared. He is the son of William and Esther Hendrickson Drenning. His father was a farmer, and F. H. spent his youthful days in tilling the soil. In 1855 he came West and located in Columbia County, Wis., residing five years. In the spring of 1860 he came to Kansas and located in Wathena. In 1861 he helped organize Company A, the first volunteer company organized in the State for the First Kansas, and was elected Sergeant of the same; he participated at the battles of Westport and Wilson's Creek, and at the latter was severely wounded, and soon after was honorably discharged on account of disability. He returned to Wathena and turned his attention to fruit growing and cultivating a vineyard, in which he still continues. He took up the study of law years ago, and was admitted to the bar, and commands a fair practice, but he makes no specialty of the profession. He is well read, a man of excellent judgment, commanding the respect of the entire community. Mr. Drenning was married in 1866 to Miss Lottie E. Gifford, of Chicago, Ill. They have four children - Helen, Frank, Frederick and Edward.
BENJAMIN HARDING, farmer, P. O. Wathena. Who is there in Northeastern Kansas who has not heard of, if he is not acquainted with, Benjamin Hardy? For over thirty years he has been identified with the progress of this great State. Mr. H. is a native of New York, and was born in Otsego County, November 25, 1816, where he was reared and educated. When seventeen years of age he went to Cortland County, where he resided for seven years. Pursued the vocation of school teaching in Pennsylvania for three years. In 1844 came to Missouri and taught school in Livingston and Chariton counties. In 1846 came to the Territory of Kansas, and engaged in the Indian trade at Iowa Mission, continuing until 1849, when he removed to St. Joseph, Mo., following his profession of teaching until April, 1852; on the 15th of that month he settled here. In 1855, as soon as the land office was opened for that purpose, he pre-empted the farm land on which he now resides. He was one of the first settlers here, and his farm is the third oldest in the county; here he has lived ever since. Mr. H. was a strong Free-state man, consequently he had the trials to contend with that were characteristic of the times. He took an active part in sustaining the State Militia and was Captain of Company K, Ninth Kansas State Militia. Early in the war was on the Price raid, and other engagements. In 1858-59 he was a member of the council of the Territorial Legislature. In the spring of 1856, when the Border Ruffian form of government was in its zenith, Mr. Harding was subpoenaed as a juror by the Sheriff, Carey B. Whitehead, to report to Judge Lecompte's court for the March term in Belmont; being a Legislator it was requisite for him to be at Topeka the same time. Sheriff Whitehead was fully aware of this fact, and knowing the nature of the man he had to deal with, thought he would get an opportunity to arrest him for contempt. Mr. Harding, with others, attended the Assembly of the Legislature, where the outlook was gloom for the small body of Free-state men present; as anticipated, he was placed under arrest by the Ruffian Judge, charged with contempt of court, and instigating treason. He was kept under surveillance by the Sheriff for ten days at Doniphan, after which he was released on bail. The plan of Sheriff Whitehead was to have Mr. Harding arrested and tried at the March term, and thus kept from going to Topeka. At the September term he was arraigned for contempt as mentioned above. Mr. Harding said that he was absent in discharge of his duty without intending contempt. Judge Lecompte replied that the prisoner has the right to purge himself of contempt, but that the dignity of the court must be sustained; then he assessed a fine of $10 to which was added costs of both suits, including board and guard while in custody, making $40 in all. After this he went twice to Leavenworth for trial, and after going through much red tape formality was discharged, paying fine and costs. For four years Mr. Harding was Registrar of Deeds of Doniphan County, and has held minor offices. He is a man strongly imbued with the spirit of doing to others as you would be done by; is of strong will power, and when once his mind is made up, it takes strong and logical facts to effect a change. He was made an Odd Fellow in Easton, Pa., in 1843; is a charter member of Phoenix Lodge, No. 41, of Wathena, and has filled all the chairs of the lodge and has been a delegate to the Grand Lodge of the State. He has a comfortable home and enjoys the fruits of his early industry by taking the usual ease in his declining years. He was married in Livingston County, Mo., in 1847, to Miss Emily Williams, a descendant of the old Knickerbocker family of New York. By this union they have had ten children, living - Emma, Margaret, Clara, Charles H., Early H., Mary, Addie, Frank, Eddie and Nellie; lost three children by death.
R. H. LARZELERE, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Wathena. One who became identified at an early day with Kansas history was Mr. Alfred Larzelere, who became a resident of the State in 1855, locating where his son, R. H. Larzelere, now resides. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and from Cincinnati, Ohio, came to St. Joseph, Mo., and from that point to Kansas. He was identified with the agricultural interests of the county until the time of his death, in June, 1878. He was a man awake to the interests of the people, and figured prominently in the political history of the State. He was a member of the Free-state Legislature in 1859 and was the first Speaker of the House; was a member of the convention that organized the Republican party in Kansas. He held many minor offices during his sojourn in the State. R. H. Larzelere was born in St. Joseph, Mo., September 6, 1854; was educated and raised in Kansas, his early days being spent in tilling the soil; has continually resided in Kansas since 1855; was married the spring of 1882 to Miss Isabelle Gould, an estimable lady, a native of New Jersey.
DANIEL MILLER, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Troy; this genial and sterling fellow- citizen, a pioneer of Kansas, was born in Cumberland County, Pa., May 10, 1817, and was there educated until he attained his twentieth year, when he came West and located for a time in Ohio; in May, 1844, he became a resident of Andrew County, Mo., being among the early pioneers in that part. In May, 1847, he enlisted in the Mexican War; in 1855 he pre-empted the claim where he now resides, and has since contributed to the general progress of Doniphan County. He was married in 1842 to Miss Liddie M. Earhart, a native of Ohio. By this union they have had ten children - Mary J., Louisa, deceased; Josephine, deceased; Rebecca H., Thomas D., Ora, Gussie A., Sarah M., Laura E. and Victor E.
J. F. PAUL, Wathena, a native of Bavaria, Germany, was born March 22,1829. When seventeen years of age he came to the United States, locating at Tarrytown, N. Y., thence to Virginia, and eventually to Missouri, residing for a time at Liberty. In 1855, he came to Leavenworth, and the same year to Palermo, Doniphan County, which at that time promised to be an important point. He remained there two and a half years, and came to Wathena, which has since been his home, being in active business the greater portion of the time. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, served for a time under General Jim Lane, was at the battles of Prairie Grove, Bull Run and other engagements, doing good service in suppressing the rebellion. In 1857 he drilled a company in Troy, which was the first initiated in military tactics in this part of the State. He has been Deputy Sheriff of the county, City Marshal of Wathena, and otherwise officially represented the town. Mr. Paul has been twice married - in 1857 to Miss Fanny Morley. By this union were two children - Mollie and Lottie. Mrs. P.'s death occurred in 1866. In 1868 Miss Kesia Ross became his wife; they have two children by this union - Sophia and Frank.
A. J. SELOVER, proprietor Empire Mill, Wathena, is a native of New York, and was born in Tompkins County September 14,1829. When twelve years of age, he removed to Buffalo, N. Y., where he was educated and raised. His father, Asher Selover, was for many years identified among the leading lawyers of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1857 (July 4) Mr. Selover came to Elwood, Kan., and soon after engaged in the livery business, being the first in that branch in town. In connection with the same, he also for a time kept the Great Western Hotel and operated the 'bus line. In 1870 he came to Wathena, continuing the livery and omnibus line business until the completion of the St. Joe & Denver R. R. to Wathena, when that industry became something of the past. In 1875 he engaged in the manufacture of flour. He has a large and well equipped mill, doing a business that will compare favorably with any in the county. Mr. Selover is a genial gentleman and a general favorite among his acquaintances. He has been twice married - first in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1850, to Miss Alpheba Bicknell. By this union was one son, Sidney, now in Colorado. Mrs. S. died in 1878. His present wife was formerly Miss Nellie Stevenson.
DANIEL ANDERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Leona, was born in Norway, February 15, 1825. He is the son of Anderson Danielson and Ellen Oleson; was educated and reared in Norway, and came to the United States in 1858, locating in Boone County, Ill., where he resided two years; came to Kansas in 1870, settling in Greenwood County, where he remained four years, then came to Doniphan County, where he has since pursued farming. He was married in Norway, in 1845, to Miss Annie Johnson, born December 4, 1815. They have six children - George, Bettie, Ellen, Andrew, Bertha and Severt. Mr. A. is one of the largest farmers in the county, owning two farms.
E. H. BOWLBY, farmer, P. O. Severance, was born in Newtown, Sussex Co., N. J., October 3, 1819. His parents were Samuel and Johanna (Parkhurst) Bowlby. When he was six years of age he came to Fayette County, Penn. and was reared and educated in that county. In 1835 he moved to Warren County, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming for ten years; from Warren County he moved to Clinton County Ind., where he lived for some time. In 1868 came to Kansas and settled in this county. He has been twice married, first to Miss Eliza Anderson, June 28, 1849, a native of Ohio, born May 7, 1828, died May 23, 1873. He married for his second wife Miss Lydia Darby, born in Cedar County, Mo., October 15,1846. He has seven children - Isaac G., John W., Henry V., James H., Iva M., Charlie F., and Stella M. Mr. Bowlby is a Democrat.
J. S. BYERS, farmer, P. O. Severance, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, June 17, 1825. His parents were David and Elizabeth (Stambough) Byers, both natives of Pennsylvania. He received his education in Wayne County, Ohio. Is a carpenter by trade. In 1869 came to Kansas and purchased a large tract of land, began improving and working it and today has one of the best improved farms in the county. He was married in Wayne County, Ohio, April 6, 1848, to Miss Catherine Painter, a native of Wayne County, born April 5, 1826. By this union they have ten children - Mary A., Salina, Samuel S., Susan E., Willis A., Esle T., Allen H. O., Ninian E., Ardillia E., and Milton H.
GEORGE CHANEY, farmer, P. O. Romanville, was born in Bureau County, Ill., September 1, 1844, son of James S., and Clericy Marple, natives of Virginia. He was reared on a farm and was educated in Bureau County, Ill. At the age of twenty-one he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was engaged at the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Sherman's March to the Sea and others of less importance. He was married to Miss Ruth Ann Sueguine, who was born in Morris County, N. J., October 13, 1844. By this marriage they have two children - Bennie, and James F. Mr. Chaney came to Kansas in 1870 and settled in this county and is a prominent farmer of this township.
NICHOLAS DELZEIT, farmer, P. O. Leona, was born in Prussia, February 6, 1845, son of Nicholas Delzeit and Barbara Scheldt, both natives of Prussia. He came to the United States with his parents in 1853 and settled in Lancaster, Penn., where he was raised to manhood and educated. In 1859 he came to Kansas and settled in this county and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was married in this county November 6, 1869, to Miss Mary V. Hencir, a native of Austria, who was born January 28, 1849. They have a family of five children - Nicholas W., John J., Charley, Mary V., and Herman T. Mr. Delzeit is a Democrat.
GEORGE DENTON, farmer, P. O. Severance. This enterprising citizen is a native of Lincolnshire, Eng., and was born February 2, 1828. His parents were William and Mary (Wilbourn) Denton, both natives of England. He was reared on a farm and received the benefits of a country school education. He came to the United States in 1855 and settled in Morrow County Ohio, and was a farmer in that county for eighteen years. He came to Kansas and settled on his present farm in 1873. He was married in England, March 28, 1855, to Miss Eliza Topless, born March 5, 1830. They have eight children - Louisa, Ellen, Martha J., Sarah A., Lizzie, William G., Martin and Nannie; the latter is deceased.
MARY J. DENTON, P. O. Severance, wife of the late Jonathan Denton, who was born in England, May 23, 1835, where he was raised to manhood and educated. He came to America in an early day and married Miss Mary J. Wilbourn, daughter of George Wilbourn, who was born and raised in England, and Ann Mills, who was born and raised in Ohio. Miss Wilbourn was born in Marion County, Ohio, May 5, 1836. The marriage took place in Randolph County, Ind., March 31, 1869. During the same year they came to Kansas and settled in this county and engaged in farming, which business he pursued until the time of his death, September 4, 1871. She has one child, Rosa M. B.
WILLIAM DENTON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Severance, son of William and Mary Denton, was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., July 17, 1831. He was reared on his father's farm and educated in Lincolnshire. At the age of twenty-one years he came to America and located in Morrow County, Ohio, where he farmed for two years. In 1854 he went to California and engaged in farming and mining for nine years. He returned to Morrow County, Ohio, where he lived two years. June 4, 1864, he was married in Frederickstown, Knox Co., Ohio, to Miss Margaret E. Chaney, a daughter of James S. Chaney, a native of the District of Columbia, and Clericy Marple, a native of Virginia. Miss C. was born in Bureau County, Ill., November 20, 1839. Mr. D. came to Kansas and located in this county in 1865. Mr. D. has never sought political honors, but has always given his attention to his business.
D. W. EDWARDS, farmer and stock-raiser. P. O. Severance, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, October 7, 1839. He is the son of David and Catherine (Rowland) Edwards, natives of North Wales. He was raised on his father's farm and received a common school education. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Thirtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Was in the battles of Bull Run, Antietam, Vicksburg. and others of less importance; was mustered out September 14, 1864. He returned to Franklin County after the war and engaged in various pursuits until 1868, when he came to Kansas and settled on his present farm. He was married in Franklin County, Ohio, April 5, 1868, to Miss Sarah B. McCoy, a native of Franklin County, who was born October 5, 1846. By this union they have one child - Cora, born March 27, 1869. Mr. Edwards is a Republican.
WILLIAM GILLEN, farmer, P. O. Dorwin, was born in Ireland, May 19,1840, educated and reared in that country. Is the son of Alexander and Margaret (O'Neil) Gillen. Came to the United States in 1863, locating in Philadelphia, remained one year, when he went to Norristown, Penn., and remained for a time. In 1864 came to Kansas, locating in Doniphan County, where he has followed agricultural pursuits. Was married in 1863, in Ireland, to Miss Elizabeth Giden (?), born in Ireland in 1840. They have a family of ten children by this marriage - Alexander C., John L., Hugh N., Elizabeth A., Margaret E., William M., Maria L., Ganil (?) O., Samuel Tilden, James Arthur. Mr. G. has been identified officially as Justice of the Peace and Road Overseer. Politically he has always been in the Democratic ranks.
MRS. ANNIE H. GROONNIGER, P. O. Severance was born in Holland, October 9, 1832. Her father, Barney Negensteen, and her mother Mary C. Tallen, were natives of Germany. The subject of this sketch was married in Holland, August 29, 1855, to John B. Groonniger, and in the year 1856 to (sic) the United States, locating in Doniphan County, Kansas and engaged in agricultural pursuits, in which capacity Mr. Groonniger identified himself until his death, which occurred August 26, 1871. Mr. Groonniger was born in Hanover, January 11, 1823, She has seven children -Herman, Kate, Agnes, Lizzie, Lucas, Henry and Ella M.
GEORGE HINCHSLIFF, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Severance, was born in Lincolnshire, England, March 4, 1828. He is the son of Richard Hinchsliff, and Charlotte Fox Hinchsliff, both natives of England. He was educated in England. He is a baker by trade. He came to the United States in 1853, and made New Castle, Pa., his home for seven years, and worked in iron works. From New Castle he moved to Marion County, Ohio, and lived there five years. He came to Kansas and settled in this county near Severance and is engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was married in South Lincolnshire, England, February 3, 1853, to Miss Ann Denton, born March 27, 1829. By this union they have eight children - William O., George H., Mary E., Edwin, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Jesse and Olive.
PETER McNULTY, farmer, P. O. Severance, is a native of Ireland and was born June 30, 1832. Is the son of Owen and Maria (Cunningham) McNulty. He was educated and reared in his native country. Came to the United States in 1847. He turned his attention to railroading, and for a number of years took an active part in developing its interests in the United States, working on B. & O., Indianapolis & B., H. & St. Jo. roads centering in St. Louis. In 1860 he came to Doniphan County, Kansas, engaged in farming, being one of the largest in the county. He was married in 1853, in Memphis, Tenn., to Miss Ann North. The have had nine children by this union - James, Margaret, Mary, John, Thomas Lost four: Mary, the oldest, Elizabeth, John. One died in infancy.
JOHN RILEY, postmaster and merchant, Normanville, was born in Yorkshire, England, May 26, 1823. He is the son of Samuel and Mary Illirsworth Riley, both natives of England. When quite a boy, he was taken to Halifax to learn the tailoring trade which he followed as an occupation for many years. In 1848, he came to the United States and settled in Madison County, Ohio, where he lived seventeen years. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1865, and settled in Doniphan County on a farm, but of late years he has turned his attention to the mercantile business. He was married in Halifax, England, May 15, 1847, to Miss Ellen Isles, a native of Yorkshire, born May 29, 1821, and moved to Shannon, Atchison County, in December, 1882. Their family consists of seven children - Catherine E., Thomas I., Samuel, Albert F., Rachel E., John Wesley, and Mary E.
ROBERT P. SHULSKY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Dorwin, was born in the vicinity of Braunsburg, Prussia, May 1, 1826. He was educated in Braunsburg, and served three years in the Prussian army. He then learned the trade of carriage making. In June, 1852, came to America, and worked at his trade in New York City until 1854. From New York he moved to Nashville, Tenn., and engaged in the same business until 1858. He then came to Kansas and pre-empted 160 acres of land near Severance, returned to Columbia, Tenn., and February 8, 1860, was married in Columbia, Tenn., to Miss Mary E. Lawhon, a native of Giles County, Tenn.; born April 12, 1836. By this union they have six children - Alexander, Carrie, Ella, Annie, Thomas, and Emma. Mr. S. is identified with the Republican party, and is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is at present a member of the County Commissioners.