KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


CRAWFORD COUNTY, Part 16

[TOC] [part 17] [part 15] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WALNUT TOWNSHIP (DeLAMBERT - WEBSTER).

RICHARD WINFIELD DeLAMBERT, dealer in hardware and agricultural implements, Hepler, was born in Liverpool, England, in 1855, and was reared and educated there. He graduated in a regular course of commercial study, at the Liverpool Commercial Institute, and engaged at the profession of book-keeping, with which he was identified there for a few years. In 1873, he came to America and located here and engaged at farming and stock-raising, with which he was actively connected till 1880, when he engaged at his present industry, with which he has been reputably connected since. He married, in 1875, Miss Elizabeth Jane Heard, who was born in Devonshire, England, in 1856, and was reared and educated there, and who came to Bourbon County, Kan., in 1872. They have a family of three daughters--Ethel, Beatrice Winfield and Evelyn. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. Society here. His family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since locating here he has worked actively in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of this place. He has served as Justice of the Peace for several years, and has been active in school official positions.

JAMES LEDLIE, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Walnut. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1815. Raised a mechanic, and received a common school education. He was in Pennsylvania until 1852, then to Ohio, where he remained in the hotel and mail contracting business until 1869, at which time he came to Kansas, and located in Crawford County, on a farm of 160 acres; remained there two years; then to his present home of 160 acres, which he has since run as a grain and stock farm. He has a fine line of fruits of all kinds. Is an Odd Fellow, and a charter member of the Presbyterian Church. He was Township Trustee eight years, and is at present. He was married to Miss Mary Fessier, of Pennsylvania, in 1840. They have six children--Joshua, Elizabeth, John, Letitia, Charles and Harry.

O. F. LEWIS, M. D., Hepler, was born in Monroe County, Mich., in 1854, and received his rudimentary education in the public schools of his native city. His literary education was obtained in the University of Michigan, in which, after a thorough course of study of three years, he took up the study of his profession in the same university, graduating from there in 1880, after a thorough study of three years. After graduating, he entered into the practice of his profession in company with Prof. I. E. Brown, of the Chair of Physiology in the Medical College of Detroit, and after one year's active practice with him, he came here, and located and established the present business of drugs and medicines, etc., and has been reputably connected with the practice of his profession here since. He has worked actively in the development of the social life of this locality. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W., and the examining surgeon for that society here.

ENOCH M. LYNESS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Walnut, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1836, and was reared and educated there. He was actively identified with his present industry there until 1878, when he removed to Western Texas, but returned here and located the following year, and has since been engaged in his present business. He married, in 1859, Miss Melinda E. Kuhn, who was born in Alabama and reared in Dearborn County, Ind. They have a family of five sons and two daughters living--George W., John J., Rosella J., Henry R., Mary Josephine, Frank M. and Walter G., and have buried their sixth child, Albert K., in Dearborn County cemetery. During the war he did active service in Company H, Eighty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, from August, 1862, till the end of the war; was honorably discharged. His family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society since 1877. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings, and an orchard of over 400 trees.

JOHN A. MARSHALL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Walnut, was born in Platte County, Mo., in 1840, and was reared to his present industry, which he carried on there till 1870, when he came here and located on his present place, where he has been since. He married, in 1868, Miss Nancy J. Rule, of his native county. They have a family of six sons and two daughters--James T., Garret L., John H., Annie B., Charles L., Byron, George and Lillie. The family are members of the Christian Church. His farm contains 193 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked; good buildings, and a nice young orchard.

PERRY A. MORRISON, general merchandising, Hepler, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1844, and was reared to the farming industry. At the age of fourteen he learned the business of tobacconist, and was actively connected with it until the breaking-out of the war, when he enlisted in Company F, Twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, June 17, 1861, and did service in the field for three years, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he located in Kennonsburgh, Ohio, in the mercantile business, and carried it on until 1873, when he came to Kansas and located in Bourbon County, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising, which he carried on until 1881, when he came here and established his present business the following year. He married in 1866, Miss Hannah Finley, who was born and reared in Noble County, Ohio. They have a family of one son and four daughters--Minnie, Howard, Melissa, Margaret and Nettie. His family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of Hepler Post, No. 143, G. A. R.

CHARLES E. SHAFER, manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddles, etc., Hepler, was born in Henry County, Mo., in 1858, and was reared and educated there. At the age of twenty he went to Colorado and located at Fort Collins, where he learned his trade. In December, 1882, he came here and established his present business, which he has very successfully carried on since. He is a member of the Christian Church.

DANIEL SPRING SHIREMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hepler, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., in 1837, and removed to Illinois with his people in 1844, who settled in Scott County, where he was reared and educated, was identified with farming in that and Livingston County, till 1874, when he came here and has been connected with his present industry since. He married in 1861, Miss Rachel A. Mudd, who was born and reared in Scott County, Ill., and who departed this life in 1868, and is buried in the Cemetery, Scott County, leaving two daughters--Hannah and Annie. In 1871, he married Miss Maria J. Brown, who was born in Indiana and reared in Chillicothe, Ill. They have a family of two sons and one daughter--Daniel, Lewis and Elva. The family are members of the Baptist Church. His farm contains 400 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of five acres.

HENRY SIGLER, stone mason, Hepler, was born in McConnelsville, Morgan Co., Ohio June 8, 1844, and was reared there to his present business through his father, who was prominently identified with that industry there. Mr. Sigler was actively identified with his present industry in his native State till 1874, when he came to Kansas and after spending two years in travel through this Western country in connection with his trade, he returned to his native State, and was connected with his trade there till 1880, when he sold his interests there and came here and established his present business, which he has successfully carried on since.

LEONARD SIGLER, farmer and stock-raiser. Section 16, P. O. Hepler, was born in Morgan County, Ohio, October 15, 1842, and was reared and educated there. As he grew to manhood he identified himself with his present industry, and during the latter several years of his life in that State was prominently identified with dealing in live stock. In 1871, he came to Kansas and located in Crawford County, and has been successfully identified with his present industry since, paying particular attention to the rearing and breeding of fine stock, of which his short-horn Durhams contain some of the choicest animals of the county. He was married March 16, 1870, to Miss Eliza J. Strahl, of his native county and State. They have no children. During the war, he entered into the spirit of the cause of the North and volunteered his services twice, first to the three months service in the seventeenth Ohio, and second in the three years' service Twenty-fifth Ohio. He was exempted upon each occasion. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. Society, Hepler Lodge, No. 115. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 250 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

JOSEPH M. ST. CLAIR, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hepler, was born in Marshall County, Ill., in 1851, was reared in Sangamon county. In 1869, he came here with his people and located and has been actively connected with his present industry since. He married in 1878, Miss Emma Etta Holmes, who was born in Adams County, Ill., and reared in this county. They have one little girl, Josie May. His family are members of the Roman Catholic Church. His farm contains 160 acres of land, good buildings and an orchard of a good assortment of fruit trees.

SQUIRE ISAAC STEVENS, farmer and stock-raiser and dealer in real estate and Notary Public, P. O. Hepler, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1825, and was reared in, Wyandot County, Ohio, where he was actively identified with the farming industry until 1869, when he came to Kansas and located in Bourbon County at Fort Scott. In 1872, he came here and has been actively identified with his present industry since. He received his appointment as Notary Public in 1880. He married in 1851, Miss Flora Forest in Defiance County, Ohio. She was born and reared in Coshocton County, Ohio. They have a family of four sons and five daughters--Frederick Forest, Alonzo, Lillie, now Mrs. J. J. Williams, minister of the Christian Church in Sumner County, Kan.; Kate, now Mrs. A. L. Burlingame, carpenter and builder; Lincoln, Maggie Belle, Willie, Jennie and Daisy. Since locating here, he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality. He assisted in the organization of the Board of Education, of which he was an active official until 1880. He has served his present incumbency of Justice of the Peace for four years. His farm contains 120 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and orchard.

JOEL N. STRAWN, stock-raiser and dealer, P. O. Hepler, was born in LaSalle County, Ill., in 1842, and was reared and educated there. He was identified with the mercantile industry there till 1869, when he came to Kansas and located in Fort Scott, and subsequently located here and established the first store, with which he was connected till 1882. In the meantime, he carried on his present business. He married in 1870, at Ottawa, Ill., Miss Mary E. Stumph, who was born in Fayette County, Penn., and reared in Ottawa, Ill. They have a family of two sons and one daughter--Daisy, Frank and Milton. During the war he did active service in Company E, Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, for eighteen months during latter part of the war; was honorably discharged as Sergeant Major of regiment. Since locating here he has worked very actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality. The family holds to the religion of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Strawn filled the incumbency of Postmaster and Express Agent for the first four years of the establishment of those interests here. His residence property consists of thirty acres and he has 240 acres in Section 22, Walnut Township, Bourbon County, which is under general improvement.

FREDERICK A. THOMPSON, proprietor of Hepler Flouring Mills, was born in Washington, D. C., in 1851, and was reared to the farming industry there. In 1881, he came here and located and engaged at the trade of carpentering till January, 1883, when he bought and established the present mills. In 1876, he married Miss Mary D. Hall, of his nativity. They have a family of three sons--Charles F., Lawrence H. and baby. Himself and wife are members of the Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and Grange societies. The mill is a two story frame structure 30 X 32, run by steam power with a capacity of twenty-five horse power. Manufactures for both custom and merchant trade.

A. H. VARBEL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, P. O. Hepler, was born in Henry County, Ky., in 1828, and was reared in Greene County, Ill., to the farming industry, with which he was connected there till 1880, when he came here, located and has been successfully connected with it here since. He married in 1849, Miss Jane Matner, who was born and reared in Ohio. They have a family of two sons and three daughters--Jacob, George, Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Emma, and one granddaughter, Lizzie. The family belong to the United Baptist Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, good buildings and orchard.

JOHN VIETS, Postmaster, Hepler, dealer in general merchandise, grain and hay, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1843. In 1857, he came to America with his people, who settled in Benton County, Mo., where he worked at the farming industry till the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted his services in the Missouri Home Guards and did service in it till September of the same year, when he enlisted in Company B, Fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and did active service till March, 1862, when he was honorably discharged He then did service in the Missouri State Militia Fifth Cavalry till 1864, and in March of that year he veteranized in Company, C, Missouri Veterans of Cavalry, and was in active service till January, 1866, when he was honorably discharged as Lieutenant of Company D. In September of that year, he came here, appointment of Postmaster in 1873.

GALEN E. WAMPLER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Walnut, was born in Pulaski County, Ky., in 1830. In 1862, he left his native State, and after spending about eighteen months in Indiana, he located in Monroe County, Iowa, and carried on farming actively there until 1870, when he came here, and has been successfully connected with his present industry since. He married in 1853, Miss Bethany Hainey, of his native State and county. They have a family of four sons and one daughter living--George W., Joseph, Martha Belle (now Mrs. Charles Loomis, farmer and nurseryman), Erasmus C. and Edward Bruce. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 240 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, with good dwelling, barns and stables, and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits. Elias Wampler, father of the above, was born in Wythe County, Va., and was reared in Pulaski County, Ky., where he married in 1827, Miss Phidellia Neikirk, who was born in Virginia and reared in Kentucky, and by whom he raised a family of three sons and four daughters--Galen E, Augustus H., George A., Sarah Jane, Mary E., Susan Ellen and Rachael A. The life of Elias Wampler has been more or less identified with that of Galen E. since he left his native place.

GEORGE A. WAMPLER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 29, P. O. Hepler, was born in Pulaski County, Ky., in 1846. At the age of fifteen he left his native State, and after spending two years in Indiana and seven years in Iowa, he located in this county and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married in 1877, Miss Jennie Thomas, who was born and reared in Iowa. They have a family of one son and a daughter living--Ethel and baby--and have buried a son and daughter--Charles and Lena--in the cemetery at Walnut Township. They belong to the Methodist Church. His farm contains 120 acres of improved land well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of about 200 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

JOHN L. WEBSTER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Hepler, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, in 1835, and removed with his people to Iowa, who settled in Louisa County in 1840, where he was reared and educated. He was connected with farming there until 1878, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. He married in 1858, Miss Sarah Pierce, a native of Indiana, who departed this life in 1872, and is buried in the Methodist Cemetery, Muscatine Island, Muscatine Co., Iowa, leaving two sons and two daughters living--David Wesley, Mary E., Lillie E. and William S. In 1873, he married Mrs. Sarah Heritage nee Brown, a native of Pennsylvania. They have a family of one daughter, Arabel. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains now but forty acres, with good buildings and a fine orchard.

OTHER TOWNS.

Arcadia is situated in the northeast part of the county, in a healthy location, near Coxe's Creek. Formerly it was a stopping-place on the old military road between Fort Scott and Fort Gibson. This was before the war. In 1862, there was a double log tavern at Arcadia. Now this town is on the Ft. S., S. E. & M. Railroad. When this road was constructed by the Gulf road as a branch simply for coal, into Lincoln Township, Arcadia took the name of Findlay City, after a certain coal contractor. It has now taken back the old ante-bellum name, Arcadia. Before the war Arcadia consisted of only the double log hotel, which is even now well remembered by every one who passed in either direction through the town when it existed. The town has broad and clean streets lined on both sides with neat and tasty buildings. Among the business houses of Arcadia are five general stores, one hardware store, three blacksmith and wagon shops, one harness shop, one bakery, one shoe shop, one grist-mill, one grain elevator, one lumber yard, two drug stores, two hotels and two churches. The prosperity of the town is attributed to the tact of its shrewd business men. It contains a population of about 300, and is surrounded by some of the best farming lands, and the most picturesque country anywhere to be found.

Hepler.--This town is located in the northwest part of the county on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, on undulating prairie. The first settler here was John Vietz. A town company was formed in January, 1871, composed as follows: B. F. Hepler, of Fort Scott, President; T. H. Annable, Secretary; George A. Crawford, Treasurer. The first Board of Trustees was B. F. Hepler, Annable, S. Pratel, E. C. Hays and A. Pratel. Among those who settled here in 1871-72, were the following: J. N. Strawn, Sebo Vietz, Thomas Sparks, Dennis Moran and Isaac Stevens.

The first business building was erected by John Vietz in 1871. J. N. Strawn soon afterward started a general country store, but sold out in a short time to Mr. Vietz. Mr. Strawn was appointed Postmaster in 1871. The first birth was that of Frank Strawn, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Strawn, in 1872; the first death, that of a child of Thomas Sparks in 1873; and the first marriage, that of Dr. A. M. Griffin to Miss Grace Hitchcock in 1882. William G. Tittle taught the first school in 1874, and Rev. A. Jackson preached the first sermon in 1875. The Methodist Episcopal Church society erected a church on Main street in 1880, costing about $2,500, and the Christian denomination built a church in 1882, costing $2,000. The Hepler Leader, a seven column folio weekly paper, was started January 4, 1883, by William D. Wright. The population of the town is about 200, and if it is not growing rapidly "it makes up in solidity of growth what it lacks in speed of development."

Beulah.--This town is located on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, five miles south of Girard. It was started in 1874 by a colony of Methodists, composed in part, of the following members: Thomas Crowder, Henry Brown, H. T. Potter, C. A. King, R. G. Hermance, J. S. Schofield and B. F. King. At that time there was but one small house in the vicinity. By the first of January there was a population of 200.

The Methodist Episcopal congregation erected a church edifice in 1881. It is a handsome structure, 30x50 feet in size, and cost about $2,000. Besides the church there is a good school and a number of good business houses. Beulah now contains a population of 300.

Farlington. is situated on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, seven miles north of Girard. The site is as attractive as need be desired. A grove has been started, and near the town is a beautiful lake. The town contains quite a number of substantial business houses, a good schoolhouse, and a Baptist Church organization which erected an elegant church edifice near the depot in 1882. There is a wagon shop and a blacksmith shop, and the town is considerable of a shipping point for coal, nearly all of the merchants dealing in this mineral, which is mined in the vicinity.

Mulberry Grove is a mining town in the eastern part of the county, on the Cherryvale Division of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. It is surrounded by a fine farming country, and presents the crude and rustic appearance of all new mining towns.

Midway is a small town in the eastern part of the county, also on the Cherryvale Division of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, and like Mulberry its mining interests are its principal support. The post office was established in February, 1871.

Cato is the oldest town in the county, but it is quite small. It is located in Lincoln Township, it contains a store, blacksmith shop, flouring and saw mill and a church.

Iowa City was situated two miles southeast of the present site of Pittsburg. It never contained more than a store and a residence, both owned by Isaac Hobson, who located there in the fall of 1866. It is now famous on account of the speech delivered there by Hon. Sidney Clarke, an extract from which may be found elsewhere.

Brazilton is located on the N. T., I. & M. R. R., eight miles from Girard. It has been started since the building of the railroad. It is destined to be an important town; it already contains two stores, a lumber yard, about twelve houses and fifty inhabitants. Thomas Brazil and H. M. Clark own the town site; W. H. Ryan is the Postmaster. About fifty car loads of grain were shipped from this station in 1882.

Idell Post Office was established in June, 1870, C. W. McCloud being appointed Postmaster. It is situated on Hickory Creek. A Catholic Church is located two miles to the northeast.

Green Elm is also a post office on Hickory Creek about five miles southwest of Idell.

Litchfield is located four miles northeast of New Pittsburg. It is a coal town in every sense, about 500 car loads of coal being shipped each month. There are here a post office, public school, a general store, a drug store, two blacksmith shops, a wagon shop and about 200 inhabitants.

Hopefield Post Office was established in Baker Township in 1871, J. W. Lane being appointed first Postmaster.

Strongtown Post Office was established in 1873, with C. H. Strong first Postmaster.

[TOC] [part 17] [part 15] [Cutler's History]