KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


CRAWFORD COUNTY, Part 17

[TOC] [part 18] [part 16] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SHERMAN TOWNSHIP.

I. H. ADDINGTON, M. D., Farlington, was born in Randolph County, Ind., in 1843, and was reared in Piqua, Miami Co., Ohio, where he was educated to the teaching profession by his own unaided exertions. He carried it on until the age of twenty-one when he engaged in the study of medicine, with which he was connected for nearly four years after which he began the practice of it in Ohio and carried it on successfully there until 1873, when he came here and located, and has been very reputably connected with the practice of his profession since. He married, in 1866, Miss Jennie S. Bryan, who was born in Newport, Maine, and reared in Bangor. She received her literary education in Lowell, Mass., and taught near Boston. They have a family of one son and a daughter - Willie B. And Bertha May. Dr. Addington has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality since locating here. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W. societies. The family hold to the religion of the Christian Church.

ABIJAH C. BEVER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 20, P. O. Girard, was born in Fountain County, Ind., in 1829, and was identified there with his present industry till 1878, when he came here and located and has been successfully connected with his farming and stock-raising since. He married October 20, 1851, Miss Mary H. Williams, who was born in Kentucky and reared in Fountain County, Ind. They have one son and three daughters living - Laura O., Georgiana (now Mrs. William L. MacDougal, carpenter and builder), Ida, Rosetta and John J., and have buried one son and three daughters. The family are members of the United Brethren Church. His farm contains eighty-two and one-half acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good buildings, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

J. W. BRALEY, of the firm of Braley & Wickham, farmer and grower of and dealer in stock, P. O. Girard, was born in New York State in 1826. He was raised in the wool manufacturing business, and went to Michigan in 1853 and remained till 1865. At the end of which time he went to Iowa and spent the winter, then came to Kansas and brought with him 1,600 head of sheep, locating in Crawford County, Sherman Township, on Section 35, on his present home of 1,300 acres, and has since been engaged in the raising of sheep and cattle, adding the cattle business in 1868, handling from 250 to 500 head of cattle per year. He has 400 acres of his splendid farm under cultivation, feeding all the produce raised on his farm. He has hedge fenced eighty, forty, sixty and two twenty acre lots; tenement house; has one pasture of 720 acres another of 120; fourteen miles of hedge fence. He is putting down a large amount of timothy and clover.

E. T. CAMPBELL, farmer and stock-raiser. Section 2, P. O. Farlington, was born in Russell County, Va., in 1853, and was reared and educated there. In 1870 he located here with his mother and sister (whom he supports), and has been very successfully connected with his present industry here since. He has always taken an active part in the furtherance of all measures tending toward the development of his locality. He has served his township as Trustee, and has been active in other official positions. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W. societies. The family are members of the Baptist Church. His farm contains 520 acres of valuable land, an orchard of 200 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits, good dwelling, barn and stables.

FRANK R. CORNELIOUS, of the firm of Deets & Cornelius, merchants, Farlington was born in Yadkin County, N. C., in 1847, and was reared there on a farm, where he remained until 1868. He then located in Lincoln County, Mo., and carried on farm and stock-raising there for several years. In 1876, he located in Wright city, Warren County, Mo., and carried on hotel and livery business, and also engaged in the manufacture of brick and farming successfully for several years. In December, 1881, he came here and engaged in his present business, in the meantime doing the hotel business of the place. He married in September, 1869, Miss Helen K. Turner, of Lincoln County, Mo., who departed this life July 30, 1873, and is buried in the family cemetery, near Troy, Mo. She left one son, Walter T. December 3, 1874, he married Miss Maggie I. Deets, who was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, and reared in Missouri. They have one son and daughter - Mollie F. and Charles D. During the war Mr. Cornelius did active service in the Confederate army, in Hoke's Division of Armsted's brigade, First North Carolina Battalion, Junior Reserves, for the last eleven months of the war. He was honorably discharged. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F. Societies. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church.

JOHN T. DEETS, of the firm of Deets & Cornelius, dealers in dry goods, groceries, coal, hardware, grain, and all kinds of agricultural implements, Farlington. Mr. Deets was born in Guerusey County, Ohio, in 1852. In 1865, he removed with his people to Warren County, Mo., where at the age of eighteen he learned the trade of blacksmith, with which he was identified in Lincoln County, Mo., until 1879, when he came here and carried on his former business for a year. He then engaged in his present business, which he has successfully carried on since. He married, in 1873, in Lincoln County, Mo., Miss Martha E. Colbert, of that county. They have a family of two daughters - Birdie and Bessie. He has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the public, social, and industrial life of his locality since coming here. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. Society. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. He also carries on with his brother, S. A. Deets, a nice livery business here. Jonathan Deets, father of the above, was born and reared in Pennsylvania, and spent his life in farming pursuits. He moved to Ohio, where he spent several years; he moved to Missouri, in 1865, where he remained for several years, eventually coming here, where he at present resides. His family are John T., Charles Alva, of the firm of Deets Bros., livery, who married, in 1877, Miss Maggie E. Colbert, of Lincoln County, Mo., and who has one son, John William; Maggie I., Now Mrs. Frank R. Cornelius, of the firm of Deets & Cornelius, whose biography appears in this work.

R. DORMAN, farmer and dealer in cattle, horses, sheep, hay and grain, Section 31, P. O. Girard, was born in Connecticut, 1836. Raised a mechanic, receiving a business education, and started in life for himself at the age of eleven years; was on the farm until eighteen, at which time went to learn the mechanic's trade, at which he spent three years in Connecticut, after which came to Illinois, and followed his trade six years, then traveled for a Life Insurance Company five years. Came to Kansas City in 1867; was in the life insurance business there for eight years; in the meantime was in the livery business three years; then to Kansas, in 1875, on his present home of 160 acres, which he improved and has since run, as a grain and stock farm, raising, buying, feeding and shipping stock. Shipped in 1878, $50,000 worth of stock; 1879, shipped $75,000; in 1880, shipped and sold $120,000 worth; 1881, $145,000 worth; 1882, $150,000 worth. Shipping to Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago and Buffalo, N. Y. Mr. Dorman is a member of the Odd Fellows, Freemasons and Knights of Pythias. Was married to Miss Sarah NewLee. Have five children - Frederick C., Fannie E., George W., Walter P., Ida.

JOHN DOUGHERTY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Farlington, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in 1837, and was raised and educated there. At the age of twenty-one, he located in Fulton County, Ill., and then engaged in the blacksmith business, with which he was identified there for several years. Afterward engaged in farming operations, which he carried on until 1878, when he came here and has been actively identified with farming and stock-raising since. He married, in 1861, Miss Elmira McCoy, a native of Delaware. They have a family of three daughters, Clare L., Cassie and Kate. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains eighty acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and a nice orchard of assorted fruits.

ARTHUR R. FROGUE, of the firm of Frogue & Harris, dealers in hardware, groceries, clothing, boots and shoes, crockery, queensware and farm machinery, Farlington. Mr. F. was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., in 1838, and removed to Illinois with his people in 1844, who settled in Macoupin County, where he was reared and educated, and followed the farming industry successfully until 1866, when he came here and has carried on farming and stock-raising actively for several years. In 1873, he engaged in merchandising, and has successfully carried it on here since. In 1858, he married in Greene County, Illinois, Miss Mary M. Reeve, who was born and reared in Morgan County, Illinois. They have one daughter, Harriet Louisa, now Mrs. George Conover, agent of the Gulf Railroad, Farlington, and they have reared an adopted son and daughter - Charles Pierce and Lulu Reeve. Mr. F. has been an active worker in the social and industrial development of his locality since coming here. He has served as Justice of the Peace, and filled other local official positions. The family are members of the Protestant Methodist Church. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society.

HUGH FRY, farmer, stock-feeder and raiser, Section 23, P. O. Farlington, was born in England. Came to the United States in infancy; was in New York eleven years; was in Michigan nine years. Learned the boot and shoe business. Went to Illinois in 1860, remained on a farm fourteen years, at the end of which time came to Montgomery County, Kan., where he remained eighteen months, then to Illinois for four years, then back to Kansas. Was on a farm two years. Then, in 1880, bought his present home of 160 acres, which he has since run as a grain and stock farm. Has seventy acres under cultivation. Carries from seventy-five to 225 head of cattle. Is raiser, buyer, feeder and shipper. Was married to Miss Clarinda Wright, of Illinois, in 1868. Have five children - Abberta, Andrew W., Estella, Alma, Dela O. Mrs. Fry is a member of the Christion Church.

JOHN W. GARDNER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Girard, was born in Cumberland County, Ill., in 1850, and was reared in McLean County. In 1874, he located in Tazewell County, Ill., and carried on farming there till 1881, when he came here and located upon present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to a splendid farm, containing handsome building and a nice young orchard of assorted fruits. His farm contains 240 acres, is well fenced and watered and stocked. He married, in 1874, Miss Emma J. Kampf, who was born and reared in Tazewell County, Ill. They have a family of one son and a daughter, Ollie and Lloyd. The family are members of the Christian Church.

GEORGE W. GOSHERT, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Girard, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, April 24, 1842, and was reared and educated in Kosciusko County, Ind. In 1870, he came to Kansas and located upon the present place, and has been actively identified with the farming industry here since. He married in 1870 and Miss Martha Jane Bowen, who was born in born in Kosciusko County, Ind., December 27, 1852, and was reared and educated there. They have a family of three sons living - Frank E., Eddie B. and Alfred E. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; his farm contains eighty acres of improved land, well watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 250 trees of assorted fruits.

C. M. HARRIS, of the firm of Frogue & Harris, merchants, and farmer and stock-raiser, Section 25, P. O. Farlington. Mr. Harris was born in Knox County, Tenn., in 1842, and removed to Lawrence County, Mo., in 1850, with his people, where he was reared and educated. In 1868, he came here and located, and has been successfully engaged in farming and stock business since. October 10, 1882, he joined the present partnership in merchandising. He married in 1876 Miss L. E. Frogue, who was born in Macoupin County, Ill., and reared in Kansas. They have a family of one son and a daughter - Ora Overton and Sarah Elizabeth. During the war he did active service in the confederate army for three years, after which he was taken prisoner, paroled, and honorably discharged; since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the public, social and industrial life of his locality. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. society; his farm contains eighty acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of 180 trees, of a well assorted variety of fruits.

L. D. HERLOCKER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, P. O. Farlington, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in April 23, 1845, and was reared there to his present industry; at the age of twenty, he engaged in merchandising in the wholesale notion trade as salesman, in which capacity he was reputably connected for four years. He then located in Jones County, Iowa, and carried on his present industry there till 1871, when he came here and located, and has been successfully identified with his present industry here since. He married in 1868, Miss Elizabeth Kramer, of his native county. They have a family of three sons and one daughter - Elmer J., John J., Edward C. and Ida May. He has worked actively in the growth of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here; has served as Township Trustee for two terms; is at present incumbent of County Commissionership of the First District of this county. He has been active in school offices for several years; is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W. societies. The family hold to the religion of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains 200 acres of improved land, well fenced, and watered and stocked, good buildings, an orchard of 300 trees of nicely assorted fruits.

WILLIAM LAWLER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 23, P. O. Farlington, was born in Madison, Jefferson Co., Ind., in 1832, and was reared and educated there. At the age of twenty-one he located in Vermillion County, Ill., and was actively identified with farming and milling industries alternately for several years; in 1873, he located here and engaged at his present industry, with which he has been very successfully connected since. In 1852, he married Miss Amanda Hall, of Dearborn County, Ind. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - James N., merchandising; John, Mary A. and Sarah B. at home. Since locating here Mr. Lawler has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served his township as Treasurer, and has filled other municipal offices; during the war he did service in Company C, Fifty-fourth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He has been an active Mason since 1867. The family are members of the Baptist Church; the farm residence contains 240 acres of valuable land, an orchard of over 1,000 fruit trees of a nicely assorted variety, good dwellings, barns and stables, and besides this he has 640 acres, divided into two farms of 320 acres each, in Sections 35 and 36, each farm under good improvement, and having nice orchards and good buildings, and well fenced and watered.

WILLIAM L. McDOUGALL, carpenter and builder, Section 20, P. O. Girard, was born in Bruce County, Canada, July 24, 1855, and from a backwoods life was reared to the sailing business. About the age of seventeen he became an able bodied seaman, and prosecuted that business upon the lakes in the United States and Canada for about five years. (During the winter season of that time, was actively connected with his present trade at Chicago and other parts of the United States). He then entered upon a sea life and subsequently was promoted to the position of ship-carpenter and second mate, chief mate and finally ship-master, with which he continued in an honorable position until 1878, when he was taken ill with a severe fever, contracted while at Tangier, Africa, and somewhat injuring his memory causing him to retire from a salt sea life. He then located at Chicago and was reputably identified with his profession until 1880, when he came here and has been actively connected with his present profession since; he married in 1881, Miss Georgiana Bener, who was born and reared in Fountain County, Ind. They have one little girl - Pearl Flora. His wife is a member of the United Brethren Church.

JOHN MEYER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Girard, was born in Benton County, Mo., in 1846; at the age of twenty-two he came to Kansas, and located in this county, and has been actively identified with his present industry since. He married in 1866, Miss Paulina Fischer, who was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1845, and came to America with her people, who settled in Benton County, Mo., where she was reared and educated. They have a family of three sons and five daughters - Fred, Katie, Johanna, Louisa, Willie, Henry and Amelia. The family are members of the Lutheran Church; his farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits.

FRED PETERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 18, P. O. Farlington, was born in Norway in 1843, and came to America in 1869, and settled in Bourbon County, Kan., the same year; he engaged at the coal business, which he carried on for several years; he then engaged at his present business, with which he has been successfully connected since. In 1873, he married Miss Caroline Peterson, who was born in Sweden in 1853. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - Alma, Matilda, Charlie and John August. Mr. Peterson has served as Treasurer of his School District, and has been active in other local official positions; the family are members of the Lutheran Church; his farm contains 240 acres of land, a nice orchard of 500 fruit trees of a nicely assorted variety, good dwelling, barn and stables; besides his farm he has a nice house and lot in Farlington.

B. C. REDLON, farmer, Sections 33, 34 and 35, P. O. Farlington, was born in Cumberland County, Me., was raised in the State of New York; received a business education, learning the trade of blacksmith; was next in California for twenty-three months; then went back to New York a short time; then in Wisconsin for sixteen years, trading in land, stock and lumber. He came to Kansas in 1866, and located in Fort Scott, where he remained four years, trading in cattle and hogs, and at the same time ran a wagon and blacksmith shop, at the end of which time he came to Crawford County and settled on his present home of 1,720 acres, which he opened up and improved, and has since run as a grain and stock farm; he raises, buys and sells stock of all kinds, carrying about 700 head of cattle, and from 200 to 500 hogs; he handles about 2,000 head of cattle a year, raises from 200 to 500 head; he has two fine Short-horn bulls, from the Gillett Herd of Illinois, brought here by F. Playton. He has four thoroughbred cows and a number of grade cows; owns the fine thoroughbred mare Pet; has three fine thoroughbred colts and will now raise the finest stock that can be had; he owns two sections of land in Kingman County with some Government land, on which he has nine miles of wire fence. His home farm of 1,720 acres is all under fence, well improved with good residence, good barn and stock corrals, and all improvements for handling stock; has a fine orchard with an abundance of fruits and berries of all kinds. Holds a large mortgage on coal land, mill, residence and business property; has a mortgage of $15,000 on stock; mortgage of $3,500 on mining property at Carbon. In the meantime ran a mill at Girard four years. Ran the Merchant's & Farmer's Bank of Girard eighteen months; a hardware store three years, and the miner's supply store in Carbon three years in connection with Patmore. He is now a School Director of his district, and has been Treasurer for many years; the foregoing shows plainly the energy, skill and judgment of Mr. Redlon, who at the age of nineteen bought his time from his father, at which time he had only 50 cents, and on leaving home the next morning before day his mother gave him 75 cents, making the grand total of $1.25, which has increased with the assistance of Mr. Redlon to over $50,000 in money, lands and stock.

T. ROOT, farmer, P. O. Girard, was born in Vermont, 1846, raised in the city, and received a business education. Learned the broom-maker's trade, in which he continued eleven years in Maine and Massachusetts; came to Iowa in 1870, where he remained a few months then in St. Louis four months; next in Illinois two and a half years. Came to Kansas 1873, settled on a farm of forty acres in Crawford County; in 1880, bought an additional 160 acres, which he has since run as a grain and stock farm; carries about 240 head of cattle. Is a member of the A. O. U. W. Was married to Miss Lizzie Ridgley, of Illinois, 1873. Have three children - Alice, Mattie, Edward.

DR. I. E. SANDERSON, dealer in drugs, groceries, etc., Farlington, was born in Parke County, Ind., January 8, 1853, and was reared and educated there. At the age of twenty-three he began the study of medicine and located in Vigo County, and engaged in practice in 1877, but abandoned it in October of the same year, on account of ill-health, and came here and was identified with the practice of his profession until 1832, when he retired from it. February 24, 1879, he established his present business, which he has carried on since. He married in June, 1877, in Vigo County, Ind., Miss Catharine Grubb, who was born in Whitley County, Ky., and reared in Parke County, Ind. They are members of the Baptist Church. The Doctor has worked actively in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here. In 1882, he was appointed agent of the Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Hiawatha, Kan., which he ably represents.

S. J. SHIPMAN, dealer in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, hardware, etc., Farlington, was born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1852, and was reared and educated in Lawrence County, Ind. He was identified there for several years as a book-keeper. In 1878, he came to this county and has been identified principally with the mercantile industry here since. In 1880, he established the present business, which he has carried on successfully since. He married in 1881, Miss Hannah Giles, who was born and reared in Dade County, Mo. They have a family of one son - Dennis. His family are members of the Christian Church. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society.

WILLIAM H. SWAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 7, P. O. Farlington, was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1839, and removed with his people to Illinois in 1841, who settled in Morgan County, where he was reared and educated. In 1859, he came to Kansas and located here, and has been actively connected with his present industry here since. He married in 1864, Miss Parmelia Corker, who was born in West Virginia, and reared in Vernon County, Mo., and who departed this life in 1874, and is buried in the family cemetery, Lincoln Township, leaving two sons and one daughter, Emma, Samuel and Willie. In 1876, he married Miss Clarissa Welsh, of Ohio. They have a family of two sons living - Harry and Frank. Mr. Swan has worked actively in the growth of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served his township as Treasurer and has filled other local official positions. The family holds to the religion of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. Society. His farm contains 107 acres of improved land, well watered and stocked, dwelling, stables and a nice orchard of 300 trees, a nicely assorted variety of fruits. During the war he did active service in Company D, Sixth Kansas Cavalry, for nine months, 1861-62, from which he was honorably discharged.

ANDREW THRONDSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 7, P. O. Farlington, was born in Norway in 1845, and came to America in 1865, and settled in Kansas, in Bourbon County, in 1870, where he followed butchering and boarding house business for a few years. After this he engaged at farming and stock-raising, and has carried it on very successfully since. In 1871, he married Miss Maria Louise Emmanuelson, who was born in Sweden in 1848. They have a family of three sons and two daughters - Axal, Hjalmar, Oscar, Julius, Alma and Signe. Mr. Throndson is present Treasurer of his township, and has filled other municipal official positions since locating here. The family are members of the Lutheran Church. His farm contains 520 acres of valuable land, an orchard of 400 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits, good dwelling and barn and stables.

[TOC] [part 18] [part 16] [Cutler's History]