|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCGUIRE - ROSS).
T. M. McGUIRE, firm of McGuire Bros., grocers, was born in Illinois in 1849, son of John and Lena McGuire. He came to Kansas in 1870, and located in Neosho County one year; removed to Cowley County and engaged as salesman in 1876; came to Winfield and established grocery business under the firm name of McGuire & Smith. Mr. Smith retired from the firm, and the business was continued by T. M. McGuire until 1880, when a partnership was formed under the name of McGuire Bros.; business is located on the southeast corner of Main street and Ninth avenue; business has increased from sales of $12,000 to $35,000 in 1882. He was married in 1878 to Miss Mary A. Hudson, daughter of Robert Hudson. He has one child - Lenora Blanche McGuire, born in 1879.
J. A. McGUIRE, was born in 1844, son of John and Lena McGuire; came to Kansas in 1869; located in Parsons and engaged in merchandising; after one year, located in Tisdale Township, this county, and started the first store in that township, and was the first Postmaster appointed in 1871; held the appointment for ten years. He became a member of the firm of McGuire Bros., in 1880. He enlisted in 1862, in Company H, Tenth Illinois Infantry; participated in the engagements of Island No. 10, Corinth, Nashville, Mission Ridge, Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Dallas, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta and Sherman's march to the sea, and other engagements of his command, thirty-seven in all; was promoted to Lieutenant and mustered out in 1865. He was married in 1866, to Miss Millie Waters by whom he has had five children, four of whom survive - Elmer, Lulu, Iotha and Nellie. He is a member of the City Council, and of Winfield Post, No. 85, G. A. R.
J. C. McMULLEN, President of the Winfield Bank, was born in Jersey City, N. J., in 1836, son of Patrick and Ellen McMullen; in childhood removed with his parents to Lewis County, N. Y.; at the age of thirteen, his parents removed to Wisconsin; he was educated at the Lawrence University, where he graduated in class of 1860; he afterward engaged in teaching for one year, and then responded to the call of his country, and enlisted in Company H, First Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers; was elected Second Lieutenant at the organization of his company, and a few weeks later was commissioned Captain of his company, which he held until the close of his service. In 1864, was Brevet Colonel. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and at the fall of Atlanta; was wounded at Jonesboro, and at Chickamauga was mustered out in 1864. He was soon after employed by the Government in the Treasury Department of Tennessee, which position he held for seven years. He was married in 1865, to Miss Mary E. Loomis, daughter of Isaac C. Loomis. The issue of this marriage has been six children - Nellie C., Robert J. and Mary B., and three deceased. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1871, and located at Arkansas City, this county, and opened the second bank in the county; remained there for seven years; engaged in the banking business, and then removed to Winfield and established the Citizens' Bank; after running it for about one year, united with J. C. Fuller's bank, and formed the Winfield Bank, a State bank, which has increased its deposits from 1879 from $50,000 to $320,000 in 1883, and has paid a semiannual dividend of ten per cent; has a surplus of $7,000, and a paid up capital of $50,000. Mr. McMullen attends the Baptist Church, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, A., F. & A. M., Adelphi Lodge, No. 110, and of the Commandery. He owns a large stock farm of 1,000 acres; is engaged in stock-raising, makes a specialty of Jersey cows; has three full-blood males and 400 head of grades.
J. W. McROREY, agent for the Adams Express, was born in Clay County, Mo., in 1849, son of L. and Mary McRorey; he was raised in his native State which he left when he came to Kansas in 1875; he has been in the express business for twelve years. On coming, he has been located at various points, as the interest of his company demanded. In 1881, he took the company's business at this place; his company has a large business. Winfield doing the largest express business of any town in the State. He was married in 1872 to Miss Dora Morton, who has borne him two children - Dora and Alice McRorey.
G. S. MANSER, of the firm of Curns & Manser, real estate, loan and insurance agents, was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1841. In 1860, he went to Nebraska, where he spent seven years in trading with the Indians and ranching. In 1868, he was engaged in the survey and construction of the N. P. R. R.; in 1871, on the United States survey in the Indian Territory. On the completion of the survey of the Cherokee Nation, went to Texas and assisted in the survey and lay-out of Dennison; he then located at Arkansas City, this State. In 1872, he accepted a position in the office of the United States survey, then being made of the Indian territory from the ninety-eighth to the one hundredth meridian. In 1873, he located at Winfield and established the firm of Curns & Manser, in present business. He was married in 1874 to Miss Fannie Walton, of Douglas County. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
COL. JOHN A. MAUS, brick and stone mason, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., September 6, 1830. He learned the trade of Mason when a young man, and has always worked at the business except the four years spent in the army of the United States for the repression of the rebellion, from 1861 to 1865. August 8, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company B, Fifth Regiment of the Pennsylvania Reserves. He was soon after made Sergeant, and September 8, 1862, was commissioned Second Lieutenant of the company, First Lieutenant March 5, 1863, and Captain January 1, 1864, to Brevet Major March 13, 1865. He served through his term of enlistment as Captain of the company. He was with this famous division of the army in the Peninsular campaign of 1862, taking a hand in the famous seven days' battle; was at the second battle of Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and many other stubbornly contested fields. He was mustered out as Captain in June, 1864, and recruited two companies during the summer in Western Pennsylvania. He re-entered the service September 4, 1864, as Lieutenant Colonel of the Two Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving with distinction until the close of the war, being mustered out in August, 1865. He returned to Pennsylvania, settled in Union County and began work at his trade. In 1878, he came to Kansas, settled in Winfield, Cowley County, and has since been engaged in the business of contractor for brick and stone work. He has never held any civil office, but his honorable record as a soldier in the most famous division of the Army of the Potomac makes him deserving of the country. He is a member of the G. A. R. and the A. O. U. W. He was married September 27, l849, in Northumberland County, Penn., to Miss Sarah J. Christ. They have nine children - Joseph S., Alice, Mrs. T. F. Reed; Charles W., Pauline A., Henry P., Ulysses G., Mrs. Weymouth; Samuel G. and John A. His name is mentioned in General Order No. 299, War Department, Adjutant General's office, Washington, December 7, 1864, in regard to feeding and clothing our prisoners of war in Southern prisons.
G. W. MILLER, stock dealer, was born in Kentucky in 1842, son of G. W. and Elmina Miller; at the age of twenty-eight, left Kentucky, and settled in Missouri, where be was engaged in the Texas cattle trade for twelve years; he came to Kansas in 1871, and located at Winfield; during the last year, has handled 11,000 head of cattle; he ships to Chicago, Kansas City and St. Louis; he has devoted his time exclusively to the stock business, and is the largest cattle dealer in the county; he was married in 1864, to Miss Mollie Carson, daughter of J. E. and Marinda Carson. The issue of the marriage has been six children, of whom four survive - J. C., Alma, Zack and George L. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
DANIEL A. MILLINGTON, editor of the Winfield Courier, and Postmaster of Winfield, was born in Hubbardton, Vt., May 16, 1823. Received an education in the common and higher schools of the State, and became proficient in mathematics and the sciences. Taught in the common schools five winters. In 1844, at the age of twenty-one, he removed to Illinois and located in Will County. There he married Miss Mary A. Smith, May 16, 1848. In 1850, he went overland to California where he met with some success in gold mining. Returned to Will County, Ill., in 1852, and went into the lumber business at Joliet. In 1856, he went to Iowa City, Iowa, and went into the general merchandise business. In the fall of 1862, he moved to Leavenworth, Kan., and there continued in the mercantile business, which was very successful during the war. In January, 1866, he moved to St. Louis, Mo., and continued in the mercantile business, meeting with heavy losses. In 1868, he moved to Fort Scott, Kan., and continued in the mercantile business. In 1870, he closed out the business and came to Winfield, arriving August 16, where he immediately entered into a scheme to build up a city, to be called Winfield. At that time, the land belonged to the Osage Indians, who were present in great numbers, and the land had not been surveyed. Several men were holding claims of 160 acres each in the vicinity. The claims of E. C. Manning and A. A. Jackson occupied what is now the most central portion of Winfield, and were surrounded by the claims of A. Meanor, J. C. Loomis, A. Howland, A. J. Thompson, A. D. Speed, W. W. Andrews, C. M. Wood, P. Knowles, and G. W. Green, all or parts of which have since become incorporated into the city of Winfield. Millington, the subject of this sketch, came in company with J. C. Fuller, and bought the claims of A. A. Jackson; then associated themselves with E. C. Manning, laid out the half of the claims into a town site, and invited settlers who would improve lots. The town site was surveyed and platted by Millington, and completed in January, 1881, after the Government survey of these lands had been made. The town site was entered at the United States Land Office July 10, 1881, and was the first entry of lands made in this county. At that time, there were seventy-two buildings erected on the town site by as many different settlers. Since that time, the subject of this sketch has been prominent in all the plans and schemes for the aggrandizement of Winfield and the county, and in the politics of the county, and the State. For the last six years, he has conducted and edited the Winfield Courier, one of the leading Republican papers in the State, having now a greater circulation than any other county paper in Kansas. He has held the office of Mayor for two terms, and of postmaster of Winfield for the past five years.
JOSEPH C. MONFORTE, Jr., farmer, Section 10, P. O. Winfield, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1852. Was the son of Joseph and Harriet Monforte. After leaving school, he entered a wholesale and retail dry goods store as salesman, remaining as such for two years. Then he entered in the lithographic business, also remaining two years, and in 1869 he came to Kansas, locating on the farm where he now resides, which consists of eighty acres, having it all under cultivation. His principal crops are wheat and corn. Mr. Monforte was married, in 1881, to Miss Alice Anderson, daughter of Alexander and Matilda Anderson, who bore him one child - Hattie Monforte. He is Constable of the township, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Joseph C. Monforte was born in London, England, in 1810, son of Joseph and Hannah Monforte. Was married, in 1841, to Miss Harriet Valckman, daughter of James and Harriet Valckman, who bore him six children - Martha, Mary, Albin, Joseph C., Jr., Julia and Hattie. He came to the United States in 1834, locating in Buffalo, where he was employed as Captain on the lakes. He came to Kansas in 1869; is now living with his son.
W. L. MULLIN, real estate dealer, was born in Indiana in 1827, son of Samuel and Matilda Mullin. In 1847, he went to Illinois, where he remained until 1867, engaged in the stock business. He came to Kansas in 1867, and located at Baxter Springs. Remained three years and removed to Winfield. In 1875, he was married to Miss Anna A. Doane. Since coming to Winfield, he has been engaged four years in dealing in stock and merchandising. After that time, he was exclusively in the stock business until 1882, when he went into the real estate business. Mr. Mullin bought a three-year-old high grade Short-horn heifer in 1881, which was raised in this county, for $110, which, in 1882, at four years old, weighed 3,170 pounds, when he sold her for $2,500. She was supposed to be the largest cow of her age ever known. Mr. M. offered $5,000 for her equal in size or beauty. She was known as the "Kansas Queen."
T. B. MYERS, real estate agent, was born in Meigs County, Ohio, son of Benjamin and Serena Myers. At the death of his father, which occurred when he was seven years of age, he lived with his uncle, in Virginia, until 1861, when be enlisted in Company K, Eighteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteers. Enlisted as a private, and served as such till 1863, and then was promoted to Hospital Steward; eight months later was discharged for disability. Re-enlisted in 1864, in Company F, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteers. Enlisted as a private, soon after was commissioned First Lieutenant, and subsequently placed in command of Company C, the color company, which position he held until the close of the war. He participated in the engagements at Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Franklin, Goldsboro and others of his command. He was wounded at Franklin and disabled for two months. He was mustered out in July, 1865. He then returned to West Virginia and was married to Miss Emma Morgan, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Morgan. The issue of this marriage has been five children, three of whom survive - Mabel, Frederick and William. He was Sheriff of the East District of Marion County, W. Va., for three years. Came to Kansas in 1872, and located at Winfield, and was with the first cabinet manufacturing company in this county. Was elected Trustee of Winfield Township in 1874, was a member of the City Council one term, and Chief of the Fire Department for six years. He is now Manager of the Manning Opera House. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, Superintendent of the Sunday school and Trustee of the church, and a member of the Masonic fraternity.
S. H. MYTON, hardware merchant, was born in Pennsylvania in 1844, son of Samuel and Eleanor Myton. At the age of seventeen, he enlisted in the three months' service. Was mustered out at the expiration of his term of service, and in 1862 re-enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. He participated in the engagements of Gettysburg and Antietam. Was mustered out at the close of the war. He was subsequently engaged in merchandising in Pennsylvania for four years. He came to Kansas in 1879; located at Emporia. Soon he removed to Cottonwood Falls. In 1871, removed to Winfield and engaged in the hardware business, which he still follows. He owns the building in which his business is located, 25 x 132, two stories and basement, built of brick and stone, located on Main street. His business has increased about 500 percent since its establishment. He carries a large stock of hardware and farm implements. His sales the last year amounted to $100,000. He married, in 1874, Miss Mary C. Reed, daughter of M. L. and Joanna Read. Has two children - Jollen and Lulu. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of the Masonic fraternity, Chapter and Commandery, also the Royal Arcanum, Knights of Honor and the National Union. He has been a member of the City Council.
JACOB NIXON, Register of Deeds, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1842, son of Samuel and Rachel Nixon. Removed with his parents to Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1848. Was raised on a farm, and on August 6, 1862, enlisted in Company I, Nineteenth Regiment Iowa Volunteers, Second Brigade, Third Division, Army of the Frontier. He entered the service as a private and was soon promoted to Sergeant. He participated in the battle of Prairie Grove, where he was wounded in the head, December 7, 1862. He was taken to the hospital at Fayetteville, Ark., where he remained one and a half months. Was then removed to Springfield, Mo., and discharged for disability on the 25th day of February, 1863. After returning home and not recovering sufficiently from the effects of his injury to return into the United States service, he enlisted in Company C, Second Regiment Iowa State Militia. He was commissioned First Lieutenant, and for three years was engaged in drilling soldiers of that regiment who would enter the United States Volunteer service as drilled veterans. After the close of the war, he entered Bryant's Commercial College at Burlington. After completing his course, he learned telegraphy, after which he spent three years on his father's farm. In 1870, he came to Kansas and located in Vernon Township, this county, located a claim, and laid the foundation for a future home, and resided there until 1879, when he was elected Register of Deeds for this county, serving one term. He was re-elected in 1882 by a majority of 1,300 over his opponent. Mr. Nixon was married, in 1869, to Miss Agnes Row, daughter of Jonathan and Sarah Row. They have three children - Samuel E. born in 1873, William A. born in 1878, and Wallace S. born in 1881. Mr. N. was among the first settlers of Vernon Township, and took an active part in all the interests of the community; got a petition for the township organization and circulated it. Was a clerk of the first election held in the township, and was elected Clerk at the first township election. Was subsequently elected Justice of the Peace. Mr. N. is a man of thorough education, liberal in his views, and fully alive to all the interests of his adopted county and city. He has given his attention to the invention of a traction engine, on which he has secured patents from the United States and Canada, and has most flattering prospects of the success of his invention, and will, as soon as his duties will permit, give his time to its manufacture. He is a member of the Christian Church, K. of H. R. A., National Union, and Winfield Post, No. 85, G. A. R.
DRS. PARK & PARK, physicians and surgeons. S. B. and H. H. Park were born in Licking County, Ohio; S. B. in 1844 and H. H. in 1848. S. B. is the son of Samuel B. and Aletha A. Park, and H. H. is the son of John P. and Nancy Park. They were educated at the Rush Medical College of Chicago, H. H. graduating in the class of 1878, and S. B. completing his course in 1879. S. B. commenced the practice of his profession, followed it in Illinois and Indiana until 1882; in the latter State for three and a half years, at Atherton, Ind. H. H. commenced his practice in Robinson, Ill., in 1875. He remained in practice in Illinois for seven years. In 1882, the cousins came to Kansas, and located in Winfield, and formed a partnership, uniting their practice under the firm name of Park & Park. Their office is over Hudson Bros.' jewelry store on Main street. S. B. was married in 1867, to Miss Mary M. Davidson. He has three children - Harry L., Frank D. and Cora E. The cousins are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of the Masonic Fraternity, A. F. & A. M.
G. E. RAYMOND, wool merchant, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1836, son of Nathaniel and Rachael Raymond; removed with his parents to Ohio in early life, where he has spent the greater part of his life, engaged in tannery and wool business. He enlisted in Company C, Thirty-second Ohio Volunteers. He was in the engagements of his command; was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry. He enlisted as a private, and was elected First Lieutenant at the organization of his company. He came to Kansas in 1878; located at Winfield, and engaged in sheep-raising and dealing in wool. He owns 800 acres of land and 5,000 head of sheep. He handles about 500,000 lbs. of wool per year; ships to Sheble & Hill, of Philadelphia. His business has increased in this county since 1878. He was married in 1872 to Miss Annie Russell, daughter of William Russell. Has one child - Grace, born in 1876. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of Knights of Honor; was President of the Council of Mount Vernon, Ohio, for eight years.
M. L. READ, banker, born near Xenia, Greene Co., Ohio, in 1825. His parents were Amasa Read and Sarah Aldrich Read, of Northbridge, Mass. At the age of fourteen, he, with his father, removed to Schuyler County, Ill. Meeting with an accident which crippled him for several years, he learned the tailor's trade, and after his apprenticeship, attended school and read law at Rushville, Ill., with Col. William Richardson and W. A. Hammond, and was admitted to the bar in 1846. In 1851, he accepted a position in the clothing and merchant tailoring establishment of Chase, Rich & Parker, at Beardstown, Ill., and remained in their employ for five years. In 1856, he formed a copartnership with Messrs. Nolte and McClure, and opened a merchant tailoring and clothing establishment, and successfully carried on the business until 1871, when he sold out his business and removed to Carthage, Mo., where he remained only one year, and removed to Winfield, Kan., and in the fall of 1872, with M. L. Robinson, as cashier, established M. L. Read's bank; in the spring of 1873, built a brick banking house 25 x 40, the first brick building in Cowley County, which has since been enlarged and greatly improved. In 1846, he married Joanna C. Wright, daughter of Rev. I. S. and Sallie Wright, at Rushville, Ill. Has but one child - Mary C. Read, who is now the wife of S. H. Myton, of Winfield, Kan. M. L. Read is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, President of the Board of Trustees, also a member of the A., F. & A. M., and was the first High Priest of Winfield Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. M. L Read's bank was established in 1872, capital $50,000, surplus $25,000; M. L. Robinson, Cashier; W. C. Robinson, Assistant Cashier; G. W. Robinson, Teller; C. F. Bahretge, Bookkeeper; C. S. Duer. (sic) Assistant Book-keeper; and Etta B. Robinson, Clerk.
GEORGE C. REMBAUGH, of the firm of Black & Rembaugh. Was born in Philadelphia in 1853, son of George and Elizabeth Rembaugh. Was educated in Philadelphia and in early life learned the printer's trade, and has devoted himself exclusively to his profession. His first connection with the business was with the Philadelphia Ledger, and subsequently with various other papers in the East. He came to Kansas in 1879, located at Winfield and has since been connected with the Telegram. Mr. R. is a member of the International Typographical Union. He was married in 1882, to Miss Kate Major, daughter of S. S. and Elizabeth Major.
GEORGE W. ROBERTSON, farmer, Section 5, Range 33, P. O. Winfield, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1833; is a son of J. B. and Catharine Robertson. He was raised in Adams County, Ill. He enlisted in 1861 in Company K, Third Missouri Cavalry. He participated in the engagement of Little Rock, Ark., and other battles that the regiment was engaged in. He was detailed on recruiting service for the Fourth Regiment of Arkansas Mounted Infantry. After seven months, joined his command at Little Rock; was then promoted Second Lieutenant of Company I. He was mustered out at the expiration of term of service of company in January, 1865. He returned to Illinois, and engaged at his trade, which was that of a carpenter. He came to Kansas in 1869. In the spring of 1870, located in Pleasant Valley Township, on the farm on which he now resides, two miles from Winfield. He owns eighty acres, sixty of which are under cultivation; his principal crops are wheat and corn. He has an orchard of seven acres, containing a large variety of fruit trees now in bearing. He was married in 1857, to Miss M. E. Carkins, by whom he has eight children, four of whom survive - Amy, Anna, Josephine and Katy Robertson. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of Winfield Post, No. 83, G. A. R. He has been a member of the School Board of his district for seven years.
R. B. RODOLF, manager of the Chicago Lumber Company's business of Winfield, was born in Grant County, Wis., in 1855; son of C. G. and Adelia Rodolf. He was engaged in merchandising and milling in Wisconsin until coming to Kansas, in 1880. He located at Wichita, Sedgwick County; engaged in the lumber business for the Chicago company. In 1882 came to Winfield, and took the management of their business at this place on West Ninth avenue, back of Baden's store.
D. RODOCKER, photographer, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, in 1840; son of Samuel and Anna Rodocker. He was reared in Ohio; he learned the photograph business in Champaign, Ill.; he was married in 1881, to Miss Mattie Walters, who has borne him one child - Flora G. He came to Kansas in 1871, and located at Winfield; was among the early settlers of this place; he opened a gallery the same year; it is located on Main street, near Seventh avenue. He has devoted himself exclusively to his business, and has earned the reputation of being one of the best artists in the State, in which his work fully justifies him. He is also a fine artist in oil paintings, water colors and India ink. He owns the gallery and a residence on Seventh avenue; also a farm of 155 acres, all under cultivation.
JOHN ROSS, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Winfield, owns 130 acres, 60 in cultivation and 50 in native timber. Fifty acres fenced with posts and rails. Small bearing orchard. Dwelling 16 x l6, with ell 14 x l6. Stable, granery (sic) and corn crib. Aims to make hogs a specialty, although at present depends on raising grain. His wheat in 1882 averaged forty bushels per acre. Was born in Illinois August 14, l844, the son of T. B. and Nancy Ross, and was raised on a farm. He made Illinois his home until coming to Kansas. In 1864, he enlisted in Company D, Twelfth Illinois Infantry, and was sent to Chattanooga to join his command, but they having gone to the sea with Sherman, was sent, via Washington City, to Goldsboro, N. C., where he joined them, and was in the march to Washington and in the grand review, and mustered out July 10, 1865. In 1868, he came to Kansas with his parents, locating at this place in January, 1869.
T. B. ROSS, farmer, and one of the earliest settlers of Cowley County, was born in Georgia in 1794, and moved with his parents to Kentucky when a child. In the war of 1812, he enlisted and served two years, one year in the campaign North through the Indian country and in Canada, and one year in the South and to Mobile. From Kentucky he moved to Illinois and was one of the pioneers of that State. During the Black Hawk War, he was captain of a company, and did good service in subduing the Indians and opening the country for settlement, and remained there to see it become one of the first States in the Union. In 1868, he came to Kansas, locating on Section 17, probably the first to locate in Walnut Township. Shortly after locating, the Indians stole all his stock, and then notified the settlers to leave, which they did, with the exception of Mr. Ross, who told them that as they had taken his horses he could not go, unless they furnished him a team, which they declined to do, but he was not molested. In May, 1870, he was elected at a special election as Probate Judge, the first in Cowley County, and re-elected to the same position at the first regular election. He also served as Justice of the Peace for one term. Was married to Miss Nancy Higgins, a native of North Carolina. They have three children living - T. H. B., John and Patti. He also had six children by a former marriage. He died December 31, l879. at the advanced age of eighty-five years.