|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HACKNEY - LYNN).
W. P. HACKNEY, State Senator and attorney at law, was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1842, son of Jacob T. and Lucy Chapman Hackney. At the age of eight years he removed with his parents to Logan County, Ill., where he was educated. At the age of eighteen, in 1861, he entered the army; enlisted in Company H, Seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers. Entered as a private and at the end of three months was promoted to Corporal, after nine months to Sergeant and subsequently to Orderly Sergeant, which position he held for nearly two years. In January, 1865, he received a commission as Captain, commission dating from October 5, 1864. He participated in the engagements of Ft. Henry, Ft. Donelson, Shiloh, taking of Corinth and the battle of Corinth, Nashville, Altoona Pass, Wise's Forks and other engagements of his command, and was wounded at Altoona Pass on the 5th of October, 1864, by a ball through his right cheek and one through his body; was disabled until the battle of Nashville, and was mustered out in July, 1865. On returning to Illinois, he engaged in farming until April, 1867, when he commenced reading law at Lincoln, Ill., with Col. W. D. Wyatt; he was admitted to the bar in the fall of the same year, and commenced the practice of law. In January, 1868, he was married to Miss Callie L. Vanderventer, daughter of Andrew and Nancy Vanderventer, has had two children - Lyonel V., deceased, and Clyde W. Hackney. He is a Republican in politics. He was Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue for the Eighth District of Illinois. He came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Arkansas City, this county; removed from there to Belle Plaine, Sumner County, in 1871, and remained there until 1873, when he removed to Wellington, Sumner County, and in 1874 to Winfield. He has devoted his time exclusively to the practice of his profession. In 1872 and 1874, he represented Sumner County in the State Legislature, and represented Cowley County in 1876, and represented Cowley County as State Senator in 1881-83. He is a member of the G. A. R. Post, No. 85.
N. A. HAIGHT, County Surveyor, was born in Mifflin County, Penn., in 1848, son of Abram V. and Caroline Haight of New York. His father died when he was nine years old; from this time he was thrown upon his own resources. He engaged in working on a farm, and secured such an education as he was able to get from his meager earnings. At the age of fifteen, he entered the army, enlisting in Battery D, First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery. He was in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out in July, 1865. After leaving the army, he resumed his studies at the Rock River University, at Dixon, Ill., completing his course in 1866. Then entered upon the Government Survey Service, where he remained for nine years in Kansas, New Mexico, Arizona and the Indian Territory. On the New Mexico northern boundary survey, he met with an accident, fracturing his left leg, and was taken prisoner by the Indians, but was subsequently released. Mr. Haight was married in 1875 to Miss Eunice D. Sprague, daughter of John W. Sprague, of Providence, R. I. He has one child - Queenie, born in September, 1878. He made his first location in Kansas in 1874, and in 1876 he brought his family to this State. He has devoted his time to his profession. He was elected County Surveyor in 1877, and has been reelected each succeeding term. He is Captain of the First Battery State Militia; at the organization of the battery he was elected First Lieutenant, served one year and was then commissioned Captain. He is a member of the G. A. R., Winfield Post, No. 86, and of the Masonic fraternity, A., F. & A. M.
W. L. HANDS, proprietor of the Star Livery Stable, was born in Kentucky in 1847; son of James M. and Mary Hands. He came to Kansas in 1855, with his parents, and located near Topeka. On attaining his majority, he engaged in farming and cattle dealing. In 1881, he removed to Winfield, and engaged in the livery business. His location is on the east side of Ninth avenue. He owns the building where his business is located, 50 x 60 feet, and keeps about twelve head of horses. He was married, in 1868, to Miss Katie McMannis, daughter of Michael and Nancy McMannis. He has three children - James A. Lawrence and Florence Hands. He is a member of the A. O. U. W.
T. J. HARRIS, of the firm of Bard & Harris, real estate dealers, was born in Illinois in 1845; son of Thomas and Mary Harris. Mr. Harris enlisted in Company D, Twenty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteers. He participated in the battles of Resaca, siege of Atlanta, Goldsboro, Columbia, and the engagements of "Sherman's march to the sea." Was mustered out in the fall of 1865. He returned to Illinois, where he was married, in 1868, to Miss Anna Poucher, daughter of John and Anna Poucher. They have four children - Thomas, Mary E., Mary Ann and Elvira. He came to Kansas in 1868, located in Douglas County, and engaged in farming. In 1871, he removed to Cowley County, where he remained until 1879, when he removed to Winfield, and engaged in the mercantile business. After one year, he engaged in the real estate and loan business, in company with T. B. Bryant. In 1881, he formed a partnership with Samuel Bard, and continued the same business. Their office is located on Ninth avenue, near Main street. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the A. O. U. W., Winfield Lodge No. 18.
J. N. HARTER, druggist, was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1848; son of James A. and Martha Harter. He was raised in Ohio. He removed to Pennsylvania in 1870, and engaged as a drug clerk. He came to Kansas in 1877, located at Winfield, and purchased the drug business of A. H. Green. The business is located on the corner of Main street and Tenth avenue. His business has increased about 100 per cent. He was married, in 1879, to Miss Carrie C. Olds, daughter of J. H. and Emily Olds. He has two children - Nina and Bessie Harter. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the A. O. U. W.
L. C. HARTER, of the firm of Harter & Harris, was born in Michigan in 1845; son of Elem and Cynthia Harter. He was raised in his native State. In 1863, he went to California, where he spent three years. He then returned to Michigan, and, in 1869, came to Kansas, located at Lawrence, and engaged as salesman for a number of years. In 1875, he removed to Winfield, and engaged in the mercantile business for two years. In 1877, in connection with Mr. Harris, he bought the Tunnel Mill, a merchant and grist mill, located on the Walnut River, three-fourths of a mile from the business center of Winfield. The capacity of the mill is 100 barrels per day. It has four run of stone, and is supplied with all modern improvements. It has a Smith, Garden City, and French Purifier. Their points of shipment are West and South. They have a large Texas trade. He was married, in 1872, to Miss Lydia Hess, who has borne him three children - Manita D., Charles and Florence M. His wife died in 1880, and he was married, in 1882, to Miss Alice F. Post. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
HENDRICKS & WILSON, hardware merchants. A. D. Hendricks was born in Adams County, Ill., in 1844; son of Abraham and Jane H. Hendricks. At the age of twenty-three, Mr. H. enlisted in Company H, Twenty-third Regiment Missouri Volunteers, and participated in the engagements of Shiloh, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, siege of Atlanta, Buzzard's Roost and other engagements of his command. He was wounded in the siege of Atlanta, in the neck, by a shell. He was in the hospital for five months, and then discharged for disability, on account of his wound; has never fully recovered from the effects of it. He came to Kansas in 1879, located in Winfield, and engaged in the hardware business, in the firm of Hendricks & Wilson, business located on Main street, between Ninth and Tenth avenues. Their business has increased about 300 per cent since its establishment. Mr. H. was married, in 1868, to Miss Hattie Wherritt, daughter of Barton and Margaret Wherritt. The issue of this marriage has been six children, four of whom survive - Laura, Maggie, Willie and Harry. He is a member of the Baptist Church, the Masonic fraternity, Chapter and Commandery. R. S. Wilson was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1842; son of Stewart and Lavina Wilson. He enlisted, in 1862, in Company F, Ninety-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, and participated in the engagements of Cumberland Gap, siege of Vicksburg, and other engagements. He was taken prisoner at Corinth, and held at Andersonville for one year, in which he suffered untold hardships, from the effects of which he has never recovered. He was on board the ill-fated Sultana, when her boiler exploded near Memphis; out of the 1,964 soldiers on board, 123 survived. Mr. Wilson succeeded in reaching the shore, two miles below the point of the accident, and was rescued next morning. For two years after he was discharged from service, he was unfit for labor or business. He came to Kansas in 1879, and located at Winfield, and formed the partnership of Hendricks & Wilson. He was married to Miss Hannah Jones in 1870, who has borne him two children - Thomas and Jennie Wilson. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the Masonic fraternity, and the A. O. U. W.; also of the City Council, which position he has occupied for two years.
R. I. HOGUE, farmer and nursery-man, Section 16, P. O. Winfield, owns forty acres all in cultivation. Has twelve acres in orchard of all kinds of fruit. Comfortable frame dwelling and outhouses. Is engaged in the nursery business on Mr. Mentch's farm under the firm name of Hogue & Mentch. They have in stock 60,000 apple trees, 20,000 peach, 2,000 cherry, 2,000 plum, 1,000 pear, 15,000 grape, 15,000 evergreen and 15,000 forest and shade trees, ten bushels of hedge seed planted and a full line of all kinds of small fruits. Mr. H. organized the business in 1879, on his own place, and, in 1881 associated with Mr. Mentch and removed the nursery to the farm of Mr. Mentch on same section. The business has steadily increased, and the last year's sales have amounted to over $6,000, and has doubled in the last year. Mr. H. was born in Ohio, September 11, 1834, and in 1861, enlisted in Company K, Forty-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and saw a great deal of very active service, participating in eighty-five different engagements of greater or less magnitude. Among these, Lewisburg, Kanawha, Fayetteville, Gaule Bridge in Virginia, Berrysville, Somerset and Hazel Green in Kentucky, and in the siege of Knoxville. In 1864, he veteranized, and enlisted in the Eighth Regiment Ohio Cavalry in Company M. While in this branch of the service, he was on the raid to and in the battle of Lynchburg under Gen. Hunter, and in the Charleston and Fisher's Hill, Va., and Monocacy Junction, Md. On January 11, 1865, he was captured at Beverly, W. Va., and sent to Libby Prison and exchanged February 23. For the last year of the war, he was Sergeant, and was mustered out in August, l865. After the war, he returned to Ohio, and in 1866, moved to Iowa, and came from there to Kansas in 1876, locating first in Wilson County and engaged in the nursery business. In 1879, he sold out his interest there and came to Cowley County, and located here. Was married in 1855, and his wife died in February, 1880, leaving three children - Hannah I., Samuel G. and Minnie A. He was married a second time February 9, 1881, to Miss Emaline Files. While living in Iowa, Mr. H. was Justice of the Peace for one term, and for a period of ten years occupied Township offices, either as Clerk or Trustee. Is a member of the A. O. U. W.
CHARLES F. HOLMES, of the firm of Holmes & Son, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1857, son of Ira N. and Amanda Holmes. He came to Kansas with his parents in 1878, commenced the packing business under the firm name of Holmes & Son. Their business is located on the corner of Main street and Eleventh avenue, owning the building 25 x 140 feet, and have a slaughter house 50 x 100 feet with a capacity of 300 hogs per day. Their principal shipments are to points west. He was married in 1881, to Miss Mary E. Huffman. They have one child - Beulah Holmes. He is a member of the State militia. Mrs. Holmes is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Ira N. Holmes, father of the subject of this sketch, was a native of Indiana - son of William and Elizabeth Holmes. He resided in his native State until coming to Kansas in 1878. He was married in 1854, to Miss Amanda Dollarhide, who has borne him two children - Ella and Charles F. Mr. and Mrs. Holmes are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. L. HORNING, of Horning & Whitney, hardware merchants, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1838, son of John and Harriett Horning. At the age of twelve, he removed with his parents to Milwaukee, Wis., where he lived until 1870, engaged in the milling business. He then moved to Michigan, where he spent eight years. He came to Kansas in 1878, located at Winfield, purchased the business of Walker Brothers, grocers. Continued that for one year, and then engaged in the hardware business. He owns elevator No. 76, with a capacity of 12,000 bushels. Handled 140,000 bushels of grain in 1882; ships to Eastern markets. He is engaged in the cattle business; owns 300 head. He is Treasurer of the Winfield Water Company, and of the M. W. & S. W. R. R. Company. He was married in 1865, to Miss Emma Ruddiman, daughter of John and Mary Ruddiman. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and the K. of P.
J. S. HUNT, County Clerk, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1833; son of William and Phoebe Hunt, removed with his parents in infancy to Jackson County, Mich., where he was raised on a farm. At the age of twenty-one, he engaged in the mercantile business in Lowell, Kent Co., Mich., where he remained for three years. In 1857, he came to Kansas and located at Burlington, Coffey Co., where he located a claim and gave his attention to its improvement. In July, 1861, he entered the army, and enlisted in Company E, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, as a private. On the 9th of August, received a commission as Captain, and participated in the engagements of his command. In the fall of 1862, he was placed in command of his regiment on the death of its Colonel. At the close of the war, in October, 1865, he returned to Lowell, Mich., where he remained until 1867, engaged in the mercantile business, at which time he again moved to Kansas, and located in Cherokee County, where he engaged in various pursuits until 1870, when he moved to Winfield, where he engaged in mercantile business and farming until l879, when he was elected County Clerk. After serving one term he was re-elected in 1881. Mr. Hunt has always taken an active part in all the interests of the county and of building up the city of his adoption. He was married in 1855, to Miss Marie Louise West, daughter of Hiram and Sarah West. They have had four children - Fred C, born in 1856; Anna L., in 1863 ; Harry H., in 1872, and Clarence P., in 1880. Mrs. Hunt is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the K. of H., and G. A. R.
ALBERT P. JOHNSON, attorney at law, was born in Washington, Ark., in 1855, son of James M. and Elizabeth Johnson. He was educated at the Arkansas Industrial University; graduated in 1876, he commenced reading law in 1873, and was admitted to the bar in 1878; and commenced the practice of his profession in Arkansas. Subsequently attended the law department of Ann Arbor University, where he graduated in 1879. He came to Kansas in August of the same year; located at Winfield; engaged in law practice under the firm name of McDermott & Johnson. He has devoted himself exclusively to the practice of his profession, and has been rewarded by an extensive practice. Is Republican in politics, and has always taken an active part in the public interests of his adopted city and county. Mr. Johnson was married in 1874, to Miss Lu Stanard, daughter of Stillman and Mary A. Stanard. Has had five children as the issue of the marriage, three of whom survive - Bessie, Belle and Albert D. Johnson. Is a member of the Baptist Church and of the Masonic fraternity, Adelphi Lodge, No. 110, also of the Royal Arcanum, No. 540, and K. of H., No. 479.
J. W. JOHNSTON, of Johnston & Hall, furniture dealers, was born in St. Johns, New Foundland, in 1831; son of John and Ann Johnston. In early life, he learned the trade of cabinet-maker, and has made that his life-work. He moved to Canada, where he remained for some years. He came to Kansas in 1868, and located at Olathe, and in 1871 removed to Winfield, established a furniture manufactory and a store, which he carried on for five years, and then formed a partnership with J. L. M. Hill, under the firm name of Johnston & Hill. Their business is located on Main street, between Ninth and Tenth avenues. Their business is very extensive. They built their building 25 x l00 feet with basement built of stone and brick. Mr. J. was married, in l860, to Miss Martha Irwin. They have five children, three of whom survive - Ida, Walter and Beyrl. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, the Masonic fraternity, Royal Arch and Knight Templars, also Knights of Honor. J. M. L. Hill was born in New Foundland in 1848. In 1857, he removed with his parents to Toronto, Canada. At the age of twenty-one, he entered the employ of the American Express Company, of Chicago, where he remained four years. He then spent four years in California, came to Kansas in 1871, and located at Winfield, and in 1878 entered the firm of Johnston & Hill. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Royal Arch Masons. His only capital in commencing business was his energy and perseverance, which has brought him a just reward.
REV. PAUL F. JONES, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1840; son of Jonathan and Catharine Jones. He was educated in Illinois. He came to Kansas in 1873, where he commenced his work in the ministry in Emporia the same year. He united with the South Kansas Conference. He was ordained in 1879. His first charge was at Emporia where he remained two and a half years; his second charge was Cottonwood Falls, where he remained the same length of time; his third charge was three years at El Dorado, and in 1882, he was stationed at Winfield, where he still remains. He is now a member of the Southwest Kansas Conference. His first charge embraced a part of Lyon and Chase Counties; during the first year, increased from eleven to 225 members. He has received into the church during his ministry 720 members. He has organized eight churches. In 1882, Winfield Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is pastor, contained 225 members; now numbers 300. Prior to his work of the ministry, he had been engaged in the practice of law; he was admitted to the bar in 1873. He was married, in 1857, to Miss Fannie C. Slack, daughter of Henry P. and Hannah Slack. The issue of the marriage has been six children, five of whom survive - Anna B., Paul E., Charles O., Franklin and Gladdys J. Jones. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Chapter and Commandery, also of the I. O. O. F., and the National Union.
J. M. LAMBERT, manager of the Central Loan & Land Company, of Emporia, was born in Knox County, Ill., in 1851; son of Isaac and Medday A. Lambert. He was raised in Illinois; came to Kansas in 1880; located at El Dorado, where he remained one and a half years, engaged as manager of the business of the Central Loan & Land Company, of Emporia; after that spent one year in Kingman County, and then located in Winfield, and took the management of the company's business at this place. Mr. Lambert was married, in 1876, to Miss Sarah E. Redden, daughter of John and Sarah Redden; he has one child - Maud. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Royal Arch Mason.
GEORGE LIERMANN, harness-maker, was born in Missouri in 1858; son of George and Magdalena Liermann. He was raised in his native State, and came to Kansas in 1880; located at Winfield. He purchased the business in which he is now engaged in the spring of 1883. It is located on West Ninth avenue, two doors from the post office. He owns the shop, and has an extensive business. He employs four hands. In 1882, he was married to Miss Louisa Cash, daughter of Rudolph Cash. He has one child - Madalena, born January, 1883.
A. H. LIMERICK, County Superintendent of Public Instruction, was born in Bureau County, Ill., in 1846; son of George and Letitia Limerick. He was educated at Princeton, Ill., at Bureau Academy; commenced teaching at the age of nineteen. In 1863, he enlisted in Company B, Ninety-third Regiment Illinois Volunteers; participated in the engagement at Chattanooga and all the engagements of the Atlanta campaign. He was wounded at Altoona Pass by a ball through the right arm, and taken prisoner, and was held at Andersonville, Ga., Milan, Ga., and at Florence, N. C. In March, 1865, he was paroled; suffered much during the time of his imprisonment, from the effects of which he was unfitted for labor for two years and has never fully recovered. He was mustered out in June, 1865. After returning from the army, he resumed his studies, after which he again devoted himself to teaching, which vocation he followed for sixteen consecutive years. At the age of twenty-one he was married to Miss Alice Grow, daughter of Dr. E. W. and Hannah Grow. They have two children - Winnie and De Witt. He came to Kansas in 1871, and located in Rock Township, this county; remained there until he was elected to the office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, when he removed to Winfield. Mr. Limerick is a Republican in politics. Mr. and Mrs. Limerick are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is a member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., Lodge No. 18, also of the G. A. R., Winfield Post, No. 85. Mrs. Limerick has also been a teacher, having taught for eight years.
J. B. LYNN was born in Tennessee in 1840; son of Charles M. and Frances M. Lynn. Mr. Lynn was in the United States service in 1863, in Missouri, Company C, Fifty-seventh Regiment Missouri Volunteers; served in the State one year. He was mustered out in 1864; in the same year went to Keokuk, Iowa, and for five years was engaged as salesman for Yates & Smith, of Springfield, Ill. He came to Kansas in 1868; located at Wyandotte for two years; then removed to Spring Hill, and engaged in the mercantile business, and remained for four years, and was there married to Miss Laura French, daughter of David and Emma French. He has five children - Ward, Ettie, Gertrude, Charlie and Frances E. He came to Winfield in 1874, and engaged in merchandising; his business is located on the corner of Main street and Eighth avenue; he owns the store, 25 x l40 feet, two stories, with basement, built of brick and stone; his business has increased about 300 per cent since its establishment; he carries a very large stock of general merchandise. He was Mayor of Winfield in 1879 and 1880; he has taken an active part in all the public interests of the city.