|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SCHOFIELD - YOUNT).
J. B. SCHOFIELD, of the firm of Schofield & Keck, liverymen, was born in 1844 in Johnson County, Ind., son of Dr. N. M. and America J. Schofield. Mr. Schofield enlisted in 1863, in Company B, Seventeenth Regiment Indiana Volunteers. Participated in the engagements of Resaca, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Selma, Montgomery, Macon, and others of his command. Was detailed as Orderly at brigade headquarters two months after entering the service, and occupied that position until the close of the war. He was mustered out in 1865. He returned to Indiana at the close of the war, and remained until coming to Kansas in 1878. He was married in 1870, to Miss Mary E. Jones, daughter of Cadwalader and Mary A. Jones. They have two children - June M. and Bessie. On coming to Kansas, he located at Winfield, and engaged in the mercantile business for two years. He then formed a partnership with A. D. Speed, and engaged in the livery business for one year, at the end of which time J. M. Keck purchased the interest of Mr. Speed and formed the present firm. M. S. is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the A. O. U. W.
O. M. SEWARD, attorney at law, was born in Ohio in 1854, son of Albert and Mary Seward. Was educated at New Market College; graduated in class of 1874, and at the Michigan University at Ann Arbor in 1876. He came to Kansas the same year, located at Winfield, and entered upon the practice of his profession. Mr. S. has devoted himself exclusively to his profession, and is receiving the reward of his industry in an extensive practice. For four years he has been the City Attorney of Winfield. In 1880, was chairman of the Republican Central Committee. He has taken an active part in all the public interests of his adopted city and county. He is a member of the Phi Delta Phi of Michigan University, where he graduated, with the degree of B. L., and subsequently received the Degree of A. M.
G. L. SHERRARD, of the firm of Robertson Bros. & Sherrard, manufacturers of patent fencing, was born in Pennsylvania in 1860, son of William and Elizabeth Sherrard. He came to Kansas in 1880, and located at Winfield. He engaged in the patent fence business, under the firm name of Robertson Bros. & Sherrard. They own the patent right of Sumner and Cowley Counties, for the woven fence which was patented in October, 1882. They have the only machine for making that kind of fence in Kansas. The machine will make from forty to seventy-five rods per day. They have already established a demand greater than they can supply. They make farm, orchard and ornamental fence; a large amount has already been put up, which gives entire satisfaction. Their fence consists of pickets and ten wires, five on each side, firmly twisted between each picket. Mr. S. devotes his time entirely to the business, which he has but recently started, but bids fair to become one of the great industries of this city and county. He is a member of the Baptist Church. N. B. Robertson, of the above firm, was born in New York City in 1826; son of J. B. and Catharine Robertson. He enlisted in 1862, in Company E, Seventy-eighth Illinois Infantry. Participated in the engagements at Chickamauga and others of his command, and was mustered out in 1864. He was married in 1853, to Miss Anna Corkins. He came to Kansas in 1882, and located on a farm in Pleasant Valley Township. He owns eighty acres.
JAMES P. SHORT, City Assessor, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., in 1845, son of Josiah and Mahetabel Short. He came to Kansas in 1870, located at Winfield, built the Walnut Valley Hotel, the first hotel in Winfield, and the first frame house built on the east side of Main street; he was proprietor of that house for one year, after which he engaged in the lumber business, and various other pursuits. He was City Clerk for four years. In 1880, he was appointed City Assessor, which office he has held from that time. He is also member of the Board of Education. In 1871, he was County Treasurer, and collected the first tax of the county. He was married in 1872, to Miss Melissa E. Philips, a native of Syracuse, N. Y., who has borne him two children - Philip and Edna Short. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was in the war of the rebellion, enlisted in 1863, Company M., Eighth New York Artillery, in the Army of the Potomac, under Gen. Hancock. Participated in the engagements of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, siege of Petersburg, and others of his command. He was wounded at Deep Bottom, seven miles from Richmond, by a gun shot. He was in hospital eight months, and was mustered out in 1865.
PHILIP SIPE, grain dealer, was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1842. Removed with his parents to Indiana in childhood. He enlisted, in 1861, in Company B, Thirty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and participated in the engagements of Magnolia Hill, Champion Hill, Black River, Vicksburg, and other engagements of his command. Was mustered out in 1864. He subsequently engaged in the milling business for eight years, in Streator, Ill. Came to Kansas in 1874, located at Winfield. Engaged in milling business for one year, and then removed to Wichita, Sedgwick County, where he remained for five years, engaged in grain buying, after which he returned to Winfield, and continued the same business. He handled about 60,000 bushels of grain annually; ships his grain to Chicago. He was married in 1874, to Miss Mary L. Simpson, who has borne him five children - Charles R., R. B., Robert and Frederick. Infant deceased. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
S. C. SMITH, chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, was born in York County, Me., in 1825, son of Archibald and Alice Curtis Smith, natives of Maine. Mr. Smith was engaged in farming until the commencement of the war, when he enlisted in Company I, First Maine Cavalry. He entered the service as a private. Was afterward commissioned Second Lieutenant, which commission he held until the end of his term of service, three years. He participated in the engagements at Fredericksburg, Antietam, Rappahannock Station, Aldie, Gettysburg, Shepardstown, Reams Station, and other engagements of his command. He was wounded at Rappahannock Station, shot through the right arm, and was disabled for two months, and then rejoined his regiment. He was mustered out in 1865. On leaving the army, he engaged in mercantile business at Portland, Me., where he remained until he came to Kansas in 1871, locating at Winfield. He has been engaged in the loan and insurance business since coming to Kansas. He is also engaged in wool growing. He owns a section of land and 2,000 sheep. Mr. S. has been city engineer of Winfield for two years. He was elected County Commissioner in 1881, and is chairman of the board. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the G. A. R. Also of the Masonic fraternity, A., F. & A. M., Royal Arch.
T. H. SOWARD, attorney at law, was born in Mason County, Ky., in 1841, son of Alfred and Mary Soward. Was raised in his native county, and educated at the Augusta College; graduated in class of 1859. Commenced reading law in 1860, with Judge Doniphan, of Kentucky. He was admitted to the bar in 1868. He enlisted, in 1861, in Company L, Second Kentucky Cavalry. Participated in the engagements of Shiloh, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and in all of the engagements of the Atlanta campaign, Jonesboro, and "Sherman's March to the sea." Was taken prisoner at Bardstown, but was recaptured soon after, was promoted to Second Lieutenant of his company, and on the recommendation of Gen. Sheridan for meritorious conduct, was promoted to First Lieutenant, and subsequently to the Captaincy of Company B, which commission he held until the close of the war. He was mustered out in June, 1865. After the war, he returned to Kentucky, where he engaged in farming for six years, then engaged in the practice of his profession at Augusta until 1879. In 1880, he came to Kansas, engaged in practice of his profession. He was elected Judge of the Police Court in 1882. Served one term. He has always taken an active part in the public interests of the community in which he has lived. He is Republican in politics. He was married, in 1882, to Miss Elizabeth Smith, daughter of D. W. Smith. One child, an infant. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Winfield Post, G. A. R. He was the organizer of the Post, and its first Commander.
A. T. SPOTSWOOD, dealer in groceries and produce, was born in Virginia, in 1836, son of N. B. and Sarah Spotswood. The subject of this sketch came to Kansas in 1858, located in Addison were he engaged in the grocery business for two years, meeting with great success. He then took his stock, consisting of thirty-five wagon loads, and removed to Denver, Col., where, in one year's time, through reverses in business, he lost his entire stock, together with the accumulations of former years. He then engaged as day laborer in mining, and subsequently secured a claim, which he worked for one year, with varied results of success and failure. He then engaged in freighting from Salt Lake City to Montana, which he followed with success for seven years. He then located at St. Louis, and became a member of the firm of Quinlan Bros. & Spotswood, wholesale liquor dealers and rectifiers. Had an extensive trade in thirteen Southern States. During financial crisis of 1872, lost $105,000. He then sold his interest to Quinlan Brothers, and engaged in the grain business for three years. In 1879, came to Winfield and established the grocery business with a capital of $3,500. The volume of business the first year was $20,000; increased to $60,000 in 1882, with a stock of $14,000. His store is located on the corner of Eleventh avenue and Main street. Mr. S. was married, in 1870, to Miss Maggie Bass, daughter of Eli E. and Margaret Bass, of Boone County Mo. He has two children - Margaret and Mary Spotswood. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
DR. G. B. STILES, diseases of the eye a specialty, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1839, son of Lewis and Sarah Stiles. He was educated at Plymouth and Eadson Town. In 1861, he enlisted in the Seventy-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Company E. He participated in the engagements of Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, and other engagements of his command. He was wounded at Arkansas Post, and was discharged on account of disability from injuries received. He has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He came to Kansas in 1882, and located at Winfield, office on Ninth avenue, over the express office permanently located. Mr. Stiles is a member of the A, (sic) F. & A. M.
L. B. STONE, County Treasurer, was born in New Hampshire in 1845, son of Jesse and Cynthia (Bowker) Stone, natives of New Hampshire. He removed with his parents to Boston, at the age of five years, and five years later his parents came to Kansas and located at Topeka, and he subsequently removed to Lyon County, and two years later removed to Cowley County, and located in Richland Township, where Mr. Stone located a claim and commenced improving it and making for himself a home; there he resided for twelve years, or until he was elected County Treasurer, in 1881. On entering upon the duties of his office, he removed his family to Winfield. In 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Second Kansas Cavalry. Participated in the engagements of Newtonia, Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and other engagements of his command. He was wounded at Prairie Grove, and was mustered out in August, 1865. He was married in 1870, to Miss Isabella Kelley, daughter of Norval H. and Susan J. Kelley. Has six children - David L., born in 1862; Edgar L., in 1873; Mabel, in 1875; Jesse, in 1876, and George, in 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Stone are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Stone is a member of the G. A. R., Winfield Post, No. 85, and of the K. of P. He has always taken an earnest and active part in the interest of the community in which he has lived.
T. B. TAYLOR, A. M., surgeon and physician, was born in Virginia, in 1827, son of Benjamin and Mary Taylor. He received his primary education in his native State. In 1859-60, graduated at the McKindrie University of Illinois, and also at the Central New York Medical University. He commenced the practice of his profession in Chicago where he remained four years. In 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, was commissioned Captain; in 1863, received commission as Captain of Cavalry, which rank he held, but performed the duties of Chaplain and Superintendent of thirteen hospitals at Lebanon, Ky., which position he held until he was compelled to resign in the fall of 1863, on account of poor health. He was ordained clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1848. He was President of the male and female College of Paris, Ill. In 1859, he resigned to take the charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Quincy, Ill. In 186- , he was elected President of the Lebanon Female College. For twenty-three years, he was engaged in the work of the ministry, during which time he practiced medicine to a limited extent. During the last twelve years, has devoted himself exclusively to the practice of medicine. He is the author of several theological and scientific works. He read law and was admitted to the bar in 1866; he practiced at the bar for four years, but, it not being congenial to his tastes, he abandoned it. He was married, in 1858 to Miss Thenie Capehort, who died in 1856; he was married in 1853, to Miss Lizzie Johnson, who has borne him seven children, four of whom survive - Datie, Lizzie O., Thenie and Edward M. He is a communicant of the Episcopal Church, and a lay reader. He is a member of the Chicago Philosophical Society, a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the I. O. O. F., and of the Good Templars.
W. A. TIPTON, attorney at law, was born in Boone County, Ind., in 1833, son of Jacob and Sarah Tipton. He was educated in his native county, and commenced reading law in 1854; was admitted to the bar in 1856, and immediately commenced the practice of his profession in Lebanon, Ind. In 1862, he removed to Covington, Ind (sic), and came to Kansas in 1865, and located at Leavenworth; after two years returned to Covington, Ind. In 1881, he located at Winfield. He has devoted his life to his profession, and has taken an active part in the political issues of the community in which he has lived. He was candidate for Circuit Judge in 1864, and in 1880 for Supreme Judge, and in 1876 was candidate for Attorney General, in 1882, for County Attorney of Cowley County. He married, in 1858, Miss Harriet N. Boyd, who has borne him four children, one of whom survives - Mary. His wife died in 1873, and he was married again in 1876, to Mrs. Eliza Wilson, who has borne him one child - Daisy.
E. S. TORRANCE, District Judge, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1846, son of Rev. Adam and Eliza G. Torrance. He was educated at the Washington and Jefferson College, Pennsylvania; graduated in class of 1868; engaged in teaching and reading law in Brookfield, Mo.; was principal of the Brookfield Public Schools for fifteen months. Came to Kansas in January, 1870, located at Emporia; finished his law course and was admitted to the bar in September of the same year; he then removed to Winfield, opened a law office and was elected County Attorney in the fall of 1870, and re-elected in the fall of 1872, and again in 1878. In 1880, was elected Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial District. Is a Republican in politics, but not a politician; has devoted his time and energies exclusively to the practice of his profession. He was married in February, 1877, to Miss Virginia Stewart, daughter of Jordan and Mary Ann Stewart; has three children - Virginia, born April 6, 1878; Lizzie, born October 14, 1879; and Swift, born February 6, 1881. Mr. T. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Masonic fraternity, Adelphi Lodge, No. 110, also a Royal Arch Mason. He entered the army at the age of sixteen, enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, entered as private, promoted to Corporal; was mustered out at the expiration of his term of service in 1863.
E. T. TRIMBLE, Superintendent of Public Schools, was born in Pennsylvania in 1850; he was educated in the University at Lewisburg, Penn.; graduated in the class of 1877; has been engaged in school work since that time; was principal of the Purchase Line Academy in 1877. In the fall of that year, went to Orion, Ill., and took charge of the public schools of that place for two years. He came to Kansas in 1879, and in the fall of that year took charge of the Winfield schools, in which he has since been engaged. He was married in 1878, to Miss Elizabeth Cairns, daughter of Rev. J. and Sarah Cairns. He was one of the County Examiners of Cowley County four years. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and Superintendent of the Sunday school. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the A. O. U. W., of the Select Knights and of the Good Templars.
C. S. VAN DOREN, surgeon dentist, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., in 1821; son of William and Nancy Van Doren. He was educated at Canajoharie, N. Y. He commenced the study of dentistry at Hamilton, N. Y., and completed his instructions in New York City where he practiced for one year. In the fall of 1850, removed to Chicago, where he practiced for three years. He then located at Delavan, Wis. and, after several years of very successful practice, his health failing him, he spent some years in traveling. In the fall of 1871, he came to Kansas and spent a short time in Lawrence, and subsequently went to Colorado, where he spent seven years. In 1878, he returned to Kansas, and located at Winfield and engaged in the practice of his profession. His office is on Ninth avenue, two doors from the post office. He was married, in 1862, to Miss N. A. Tubbs; has one child - Pearl Van Doren, born in 1870. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the A., F. & A. M. He has given his entire ability to his profession, and has been rewarded by attaining a high degree of workmanship. He has successfully introduced an innovation in the practice of dentistry by which he is able to take impressions and prepare the plates before the teeth are extracted, and insert the new set immediately after.
ISRAEL WEAKLY, farmer, section 8, P. O. Winfield, was born in Illinois in 1851; was the son of Robert and Elizabeth Weakly; he remained in Illinois thirteen years, and in 1863 came to Kansas with his parents, locating in Lawrence, where he remained five months, at the end of which time he removed to Washington County, and in 1864 he was compelled to leave on account of the Indians, who were very troublesome at that time. In 1865, he returned to Kansas, locating on the same farm in Washington County. Subsequently, he moved on the farm where he now resides. He owns 160 acres of land, his principal crop being wheat and corn. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mr. Robert Weakly was born in Maryland in 1817; was the son of Benedict and Martha Weakly; was married to Miss Elizabeth Small, daughter of John and Elizabeth Small, who bore him four children - Franklin, John, Israel and Henry.
HOMER L. WELLS, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Perryville, Ohio, in 1839, son of James and Sarah Wells. He was educated at the Eclectic Medical College; graduated in 1878; commenced his practice in 1865, at Van Vert, Ohio, where he remained for three years; he then removed to Vandalia, Ill., practicing in that state for ten years. In 1879, came to Kansas; located at Winfield, office in Page Building, Main street, upstairs. Dr. Wells was in the late war; enlisted in Company A, Fifty-seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteers, in 1861; entered as private; soon after was promoted to Sergeant, and in 1863 commissioned First Lieutenant. He participated in the engagements of Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, Champion Hills, Black River Bridge. At Corinth, was placed in command of his company, which position he held for six months; he was mustered out in 1865. He was married in 1876 to Miss Henrietta Klinge; has one child - Edwin Wells. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the G. A. R., Winfield Post, No. 85; he is Surgeon of the Post. He is Coroner of Cowley County; was elected in 1881.
W. R. WHITNEY, of the firm of Horning & Whitney, hardware merchants, was born in Clinton County, Mich., in 1859; son of Hiram and Mary Whitney; came to Kansas in 1878, located at Winfield, and for two years was engaged in the grocery business, and then engaged in the hardware business under the firm name of Horning, Robinson & Co. In the fall of 1882, Mr. Robinson retired from the firm, and the style of the firm became Horning & Whitney. The business has doubled since its establishment; it is situated on the east side of Main street, between Ninth and Tenth avenues. They carry a stock of about $15,000 of hardware, and stove sales of 1882 about $70,000. Mr. Whitney is a member of the A. O. U. W.
C. M. WOOD, stock dealer, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1837; son of Reuben and Anna Wood. He was raised in Ohio. In 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Ninety-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Soon after enlisting, he was prostrated with typhoid fever. He was in the hospital at Covington, Ky., for three months. On his recovery, he was appointed Executive Steward of the Eruptive and Clay General Hospitals, and also of the Officers' General Hospital at Louisville, Ky. This position he held until the close of the war, when he returned to Ohio. In 1866, he came to Kansas, located at Cottonwood Falls, where he remained about three years. In April, 1869, he settled where Winfield now is, and built a house, which he intended for a store. It was the first building built in Winfield, and he was the first settler. After completing his house, he returned to Cottonwood Falls for the purpose of getting goods, but soon after his departure the Indians burned his house, which proved a severe loss to him, as he had expended $500 of his scanty means to build it. On his return to Cottonwood Falls, Mr. Wood was married, June 26, to Miss Malinda Jones, who was at that time engaged in teaching school near that place. Mr. Wood, on hearing of the misfortune that had overtaken him in the loss of his house, was nothing daunted, but changed his purpose about taking his goods, but with his wife and household effects returned, reaching Winfield on the 14th of August, 1869, Mrs. Wood thus being the first white woman and bride of Winfield. In the fall of that year, two or three families settled here, and in the following winter and spring the number was quite largely increased, and the foundation of the beautiful and prosperous city of Winfield was laid. On returning to Winfield, Mr. Wood immediately commenced the building of another house, which was the second one built at this place. From that time he has been a resident of this place, and has been active and liberal in striving to advance the interests of his adopted city. He is now engaged in the stock business. He has been a member of the City Council for two years. Mrs. Wood is a native of Ohio, a daughter of James and Maria Jones. She has borne her husband two children - Blanche and Guy C.
W. T. WRIGHT, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Fulton County, Ill., in 1834, son of William and Amelia Wright. Was educated in Lewistown Seminary and in the Keokuk College of Physicians and Surgeons, and in the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, graduating in the former in 1868 and the latter in 1872. Commenced the practice of his profession with Dr. Hull, of Cuba, Ill. He susequently (sic) removed to Bushnell, Ill., where he had an extensive practice for seventeen years. He was appointed, in 1871, Lecturer for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Keokuk, Iowa. He held that position for five years. In 1866, attended lectures at the Bellevue Medical College of New York City. He came to Kansas in 1879, and located in Winfield. His office is on the corner of Main street and Tenth avenue. Dr. Wright has devoted his time to his profession with untiring devotion, and has been rewarded by an extensive practice, which extends into the country for a radius of eight to ten miles. He was married in 1859 to Miss Lydia Wilson, daughter of Palmer and Catharine Wilson. Has had six children, of whom survive Charles S., William P., Lydia A. and Louie V. Wright. Dr. W. is a member of the Masonic fraternity.(sic) A., F. & A. M., a Royal Arch Mason and a Knight Templar. Also a member of the A. O. U. W., No. 18, and of the American Medical Association.
GEORGE W. YOUNT, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Winfield, was born in Kentucky in 1828. Was the son of Jacob and Elizabeth Yount. His parents moved to Indiana when he was eight years old. He there engaged in farming until 1871, when he came to Kansas, and located on the farm on which he now resides, which consists of 400 acres of land, over half of which is under cultivation, his principal crops being wheat and corn, at which his success has been greater here than in Indiana. Mr. Yount was married in 1854 to Miss Mary Hine who has borne him ten children - Kathren E., John W., Scott, Elva, James, Ira M., Alice, Sarah J., Lewis and Charles. Mr. Yount has a very nice orchard, consisting of 450 peach, 150 apple, 20 plum, 12 pear, and small fruits of all kinds. He also has an extensive quarry of magnesian limestone, of which the Topeka Post Office is built. His barn is an excellent edifice, it being built of the same stone. Mr. Yount is Treasurer of the School Board of his district, and a member of the A., F. & A. M.