KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


COWLEY COUNTY, Part 13

[TOC] [part 14] [part 12] [Cutler's History]

UDALL.

Udall is a lively little town on the S. C. & F. S. Railway near the northwest corner of the county. It was laid out in April, 1885, on thirty acres belonging to P. W. Smith, and was named in honor of Cornelius Udall. The first building on the site was the store of Smith & Green; the second, that of A. G. Mudgett. The second store was owned by David Richards. A. G. Mudgett opened the first drug, and A. J. Werdell the first hardware store. The post office at this point was established in October, 1879, and has been held by D. C. Green and James H. Hildebrand. A good school, with an attendance of sixty, is in charge of P. W. Smith. It is held in a building erected for district purposes in 1873, at a cost of $750.

MURDER OF SHERIFF SHENNEMAN.

On Tuesday, January 23, 1883, Sheriff Shenneman, of Cowley County, Kan., was fatally shot at Udall Station, in the northern part of the same county, by Charles Cobb, of Jefferson County, Kan., who had just escaped arrest for a crime committed there by killing the Constable who attempted to arrest him. Sheriff Shenneman had received notice from the Jefferson County Sheriff of the escape of the criminal, and learning that he was in the vicinity, had issued posters dated January 12, describing the party, and offering a reward for information, etc. On the 15th of the same month, a young man, mounted on a pony, came to the house of Waller Jacobus, a wealthy farmer, residing in Maple Township, and stating that his name was George T. Smith, and that he had just come through from Texas to Dodge City with a drove of cattle, asked for employment until spring, when he wished to return to his home in Pennsylvania. Mr. Jacobus, not having work for him at that time, he proposed to remain for a time as a boarder. This was acceded to, and he staid a week, and was then given work. Soon after hiring him, Mr. Jacobus saw one of the posters of Sheriff Shenneman, which so accurately described young Smith, as he called himself, that, taken in connection with the fact that Smith always carried weapons, he became convinced that he was harboring a criminal, and accordingly wrote to the Sheriff to that effect. On Tuesday morning, January 23, Mr. Shenneman drove over to the place of Jacobus, about twenty miles from Winfield, and by arrangement with Jacobus, was introduced to the family, including his workman, as Dr. James, of Udall. The Sheriff decided at once that he had found his man, and soon after dinner attempted to arrest him by throwing his arms around him from behind. Cobb, however, was extremely strong and agile, and after a long struggle, they both fell, when Cobb shot the Sheriff with his revolver, inflicting two wounds, one of which proved fatal. Although so terribly wounded, and suffering from pain and loss of blood, Sheriff Shenneman did not relax his hold until Cobb was secured by Jacobus and a man who had been called by his wife. The two succeeded in setting a rope around his neck and choking him until he gave up. Mr. Shenneman, now almost exhausted, was laid on a bed, and his wounds examined and dressed. His friends arrived from Winfield in the afternoon, and remained with him until he died, on Thursday evening about 9 o'clock. On Friday morning, his body was taken to Winfield for interment, the funeral being appointed for the following Sunday, when it was attended by a great concourse of people from the city and surrounding country, including the Sheriffs of all the adjoining counties. In the meantime, Cobb had been taken to Winfield on Tuesday afternoon, by Marshal Herrod and Sheriffs McIntire and Taylor, and confined in the Winfield jail that night. The next afternoon he was taken to Sedgwick County and confined in the Wichita Jail. On Thursday morning the Sheriff of Jefferson County arrived at Wichita, accompanied by a farmer of the same county, who had lived near Cobb, and knew him well, and who immediately identified him. It was determined, however, to remand him to the jail in Winfield, and on Saturday morning he was placed in a carriage, and, in charge of four Sheriffs, was brought to Winfield; but, on arriving at the town, it became so evident that the prisoner would inevitably be lynched if put in the jail (the citizens being wild with excitement) that the prisoner was taken from the carriage, and taken on foot, by two of the Sheriffs, to the Badger Creek road, where, toward morning, they were enabled to get a team, and take their prisoner again to Wichita, by way of Douglas, arriving Sunday. On the following Wednesday, January 31, Cobb was again brought back to Winfield, by Deputy Taylor, and lodged in jail without any signs of violence being manifested by the citizens. Between 2 and 3 o'clock the following morning, however, masked men entered the jail, obliging the guard to keep silence, by the aid of loaded revolvers, and taking the prisoner to the K. C., L. & S. Railroad bridge hung him to a cross-tie; a portion of the maskers keeping off the crowd which had gathered with their revolvers. Soon after 9 o'clock, the body was cut down by direction of Coroner Wells, taken to the court house, a jury impaneled, witnesses sworn, and evidence taken, but no proof elicited as to who were the lynchers. On Friday afternoon the jury brought in a verdict, concluding thus:

"The said jurors, upon their oaths, do say, that the said Charles Cobb came to his death on the morning of February 1, 1883, by being hung by the neck, from the railroad bridge of the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Kansas Railroad across the Walnut River, in Cowley County, Kan., at the hands of parties unknown to the jury.

Signed, T. R. Bryan, S. C. Smith, Henry Brown, A. D. Hendricks, A. E. Baird and J. A. Cooper.

The following brief biography of the murdered Sheriff is taken from the Winfield Telegram.
"Albert Taylor Shenneman was born in Bridgeport, Wayne Co., Ohio, April 10, 1846. Early in the war, when but sixteen years of age, he enlisted in the three-months service, afterward enlisting in Company D, Seventh Illinois Cavalry, with which he served until the close of the war. He came to this county in the fall of 1870, and has resided in Winfield ever since. During that time he was elected Constable once or twice, and served a considerable time as City Marshal. In the fall of 1879, he was elected Sheriff of Cowley County, and re-elected again in 1881. Long before the end of his first term, he was acknowledged to be one of the best Sheriffs the county had ever had, and was regarded by like officers in the State as one of the most capable and efficient officers within her borders. Possessing untiring energy and courage, without fear in any form, he was a terror to evil doers everywhere. His loss by our people is regarded as most irreparable. While of opposite political faith, the Telegram can but say:
"His valor shown upon our crests to-day
Hath taught us how to cherish such high deeds,
Even in the bosom of our adversary."

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - NINNESCAH TOWNSHIP.

CAPT. A. A. JACKSON, Seeley, one of the most prominent men in Southern Kansas. He is a native of New York and was born in Allegany County May 2, 1834; when young, came with his parents to Bureau County, Ill., which was his home for several years. When Sumter was fired in 1861, he was among the first to respond to the call for troops, enlisting as a private in the Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three and a half years; among the general engagements participated in were Donelson and Shiloh; at the latter was severely wounded. Mr. J. passed the usual routine of promotions, and was honorably mustered out as Captain of Company I, of the Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After the war, he engaged in cotton farming in Tennessee for a few years. In 1869, he came to Kansas, locating in Winfield, being among the first in that locality. In 1870, he was elected Clerk of Cowley County, being the first regularly elected official in that capacity. Upon the expiration of his term, he was re-elected, serving two full terms. He established and operated the first furniture store in Winfield, and was otherwise associated with its early commercial interests. For several years was engaged in the grain trade in Wichita. When the railroad question came up before the people of Cowley County, Mr. J. was the first to take an able and active part in furthering the matter, and to him the people are largely indebted for securing the Santa Fe Railroad; while the road was being constructed, he was employed by the company as right-of-way agent in Cowley County. For the past few years he has been the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company's agent at Seeley; is also largely interested in handling stock, grain, etc., etc., at this point . . For several months Mr. J. resided in Butler County, at Augusta; while there he was induced to make the race for Sheriff against Jim Thomas; as a matter of courtesy he voted for his opponent, which gave Mr. Thomas the majority by one vote. In Winfield he held the office of Police Judge and Justice. Mr. J. has but few peers in the West. He is a member of the Masonic order and is a charter member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter of Winfield. Politically, Mr. J. is a Democrat. He was married September 4, 1870, to Miss Nevia A. Kelsey. They have four children by this union - Emma V., William A., Howard H. and Mabel A. They have one adopted son - Lewis T., a promising young man. Mr. J.'s marriage license was the first issued in Cowley County.

D. D. KELLOGG, hardware merchant, Udall, is a native of New York, and was born in Jefferson County June 26, 1837. When twenty-one years of age, came to Illinois, and for a number of years was engaged in farming in McLean and Livingston counties. In the spring of 1870, came to Kansas, locating in Vernon Township, Cowley County, being among the first in that locality. His estate there comprises over 400 acres of choice land. Mr. K. embarked in trade in March, 1882; he has been associated with all enterprises that furthers (sic) the interests of the community. Mr. K. was married in Illinois to Miss Annie D. Walworth, of New York. They have four children by this union - Ora, Frank D., William D. and Pearlie. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum of Winfield.

H. H. MARTIN, druggist, Udall, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Fayette County October 27, l836; was reared and educated in that State. During the war, enlisted in the Nineteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, being a resident of Van Buren County, in that State, at the time; was mustered in as private, and after serving eighteen months was honorably discharged on account of disability; was mustered out as Second Lieutenant. Mr. M. came to Kansas in 1869, locating in Neosho County; the autumn of 1872, came to Cowley County, settling on Section 3 in Ninnescah Township. In January, 1882, engaged in business in Udall; has been associated with the school and other interests of the community. Mr. M. was married in 1860, in Iowa, to Miss Mariam E. Walker. They have five children - Annie, Kate, Maggie, Belle and Ella. Mr. M. is a member of the I. O. O. F., Winfield Lodge.

WILLIAM B. NORMAN, Justice of the Peace and real estate agent, Udall, is a native of England, and was born in London March 19, 1820, came to the United States, locating in New York State, which was his home for two years; thence to Michigan, and eventually to Ohio, being one of the pioneers of Williams County. In 1856, he emigrated to Steele County, Minn., being among the first settlers in that region. He was closely and prominently identified with the agricultural interests of Steele County until the autumn of 1871, when he became a resident of Cowley County, Kan., taking up his abode in Maple Township, being among the first in that locality. Mr. N. has been favorably known. In 1873, he became Postmaster of Red Bud Post Office, that office being established through an effort on his part. In 1879, he opened a store at Red Bud, which he operated until locating at Udall early in 1883. Mr. N. was married in Ohio to Miss Sarah J. Duke, whose death occurred in Kansas in October, 1882. They have six sons born to them - George H., Robert O., John W., Alfred D., J. D. and W. P. Mr. N. is at present extensively engaged in the real estate business in connection with being Justice of the Peace. He took the census of Maple Township, and has otherwise been officially identified. Politically, has been a Republican since the organization of the party.

P. WILLIS SMITH, merchant, Udall, came to this county in the summer of 1874, settling on Section 8, Nennescah (sic) Township, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. The autumn of 1874, he taught the first school in this district which was organized that fall. When the A., T. & S. F. R. R. built the branch to Winfield, Mr. S., in company with D. C. Green, built a store on the present site of Udall, which was on his (Smith's) land. In this store they had the post office, Mr. D. C. Green being Postmaster. Mr. Smith attended to the business for the railroad company. He was the first express agent, the duties of which office he still discharges for Wells, Fargo & Co. Mr. Smith has contributed amply toward the growth of Udall, and takes a live interest in furthering all enterprises. He is a native of Ohio, and was born in Crawford County May 29, 1849. Was educated and reared in his native State. He was married in Ohio, to Miss Sarah McIntyre, of Crawford County. They have had four children - Atta R., Georgie May and Willis Floyd; one deceased, Zeuella. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic Order, Mulvane Lodge.

DEXTER.

The Dexter Town Company was organized by enterprising citizens of Emporia, in July, 1870. Its incorporators were Alex. Stevens and Thomas Manning, living in the vicinity of the place selected for the town, and L. W. Robinson, C. B. Batcheller and G. W. Frederick, of Emporia. The incorporation was not perfected. The first house erected upon the town site was built by James McDermott, who moved into it June 25, 1871. In September, 1870, the Dexter Post Office was established, with I. B. Todd, Postmaster, and in March, 1871, the first mail arrived by regular carrier from Eureka. On October 21, 1875, the Dexter Town Association was incorporated, and the town site was laid out into lots, blocks and streets. It has three or four stores, a blacksmith shop, a hotel, and other business houses, and does a good business with the surrounding farming population. It has a water-power flouring mill and saw mill in its immediate vicinity, on the Grouse. The post office is a money order office, and is supplied by a daily mail from Winfield, and by tri-weekly mails from other directions. The present Postmaster is J. V. Hines.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - DEXTER TOWNSHIP.

R. E. BOOTH, farmer, P. O. Dexter, was born in Luzerne County, Penn., in 1822, where he was raised until seventeen years of age. From there to Indiana, and in 1859 migrated to Kansas, locating in Allen County before Kansas was a State. There were but few settlers in the county, but a good many Indians. Mr. Booth located a claim and remained in Allen County until 1881. During the war, he served for a time in the Leroy Battalion, Kansas Militia, and was out to look after Price when he made his raid into Kansas. From Allen County he came to Cowley, and purchased a farm of 120 acres in Section 6, Town 88, Range 7. He has a fine farm, watered by Grouse Creek; twenty acres of timber, fifty acres in cultivation, and the place well stocked with cattle. In 1842, was married at Delphi, Ind., to Miss Bradford. They have three children, viz.: William, Joseph and Rosabelle J. Mr. and Mrs. Booth are members of the M. E. Church.

O. P. DARST, proprietor of Central Hotel and farmer, was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1839. When twelve years of age, his parents emigrated to Woodford County, Ill., where he remained until 1861, when he entered the army, serving three years in the Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was wounded at Vicksburg. After coming out of the army, he returned to Woodford County and engaged in farming. In 1870, he emigrated to Cowley County, Kan., and located a claim on Section 13, near the town site of Dexter. The nearest railroad point at the time was Emporia, 110 miles. The survey was not made, and the county was unorganized. Mr. Darst has a choice farm of 178 acres, 100 of which are under cultivation, with good fences, forty-five acres of timber, and an abundance of running water, making a fine place for stock, in which business he has been engaged the most of the time since he settled there. In 1880, he purchased the Central Hotel at Dexter, and has been running it since, with success to himself and satisfaction to the traveling public. In 1865, he was married to Miss Susan J. Clark, of Eureka, Ill. They have six children - Walter, Willie, Burtie, Bertha, Arthur and Robert. He is a member of Dexter Post, No. 133, G. A. R.

H. R. BRANSON, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Torrance, was born in Rock County, Wis., in 1849. When seven years of age, his parents settled in Filmore County, Minn. From there went to Kansas in 1858, locating in Greenwood County. In 1870, the subject of this sketch settled in Cowley County, and located a claim on Section 31, Township 32, Range 7, before the survey was made or the county was organized. It was 110 miles to a railroad and sixty miles to the nearest mill. He was among the first settlers in Dexter Township. His place is on Grouse Creek, and he put up the first house on the creek. He voted at the first election held in the county, going twenty miles to the polls. Mr. Branson is one of the principal stock dealers in this part of the county, handling from 75 to 200 head of cattle annually. His farm is well adapted to stock-raising, consisting of 360 acres, with plenty of running water and eighty acres of timber; 120 acres of pasture and 100 acres under cultivation, with good buildings, and within six miles of a railroad. In 1876, he was married to Miss Eunice Maurer, of Eureka, Kan. They have four children - Fannie M., Frank, Roy J. and Glenn W.

CAPT. A. B. ELLIOTT, farmer and miller, P. O. Dexter, was born in Vermillion County, Ill., in 1836. In 1847, he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Polk County, remaining there until 1856, when he emigrated to Kansas and settled in Lyon County near Emporia. It was twenty-five miles to a post office, there were no railroads in the Territory, but there were plenty of Indians, and for a time he was in doubt about being permitted to remain. In 1861, he served as Captain of Company B, Eleventh Kansas Militia, and was out during Price's raid, and to Humboldt when the city was burned, and in several other difficulties. In 1867, he sold out and settled in Missouri, remaining there until May, 1877, when he returned to Kansas and bought a farm in Cowley County, adjoining the town site of Dexter, consisting of 296 acres on Town 33, Range 7. This is one of the best natural stock farms in the county, watered by Grouse Creek, which furnishes plenty of water, with about sixty acres of timber along the stream, affording ample shelter for stock. The most of the land is fine bottom land - 175 acres of which are in cultivation. In the fall of 1879, in company with L. B. Bollington, built a flouring mill on Grouse Creek, near Dexter, the building 24 x 40, with two run of buhrs, the fall being twelve feet, and furnished with a thirty-horse-power turbine wheel. This was a benefit to the people of this vicinity, it being the first mill of any consequence built in this part of the county, and filled a long-felt want. In 1856, he was married to Miss Amanda Rinker, of Iowa. They have ten children, viz.: Annie M., E. V., Clara L., R. J., A. E., S. V., C. B., F. O., Roscoe and Ettie.

JOSEPH FURMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Dexter, was born in Huron County, Ohio, in 1821, and was raised in Richland and Portage Counties until he was twenty-five years of age. He then emigrated to Warren County, Iowa, and remained in Warren and Pope Counties until 1870, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Cowley County before the survey, and made a claim near the town site of Dexter, on Section 7, Town 33, Range 7. He has a choice farm of 156 acres, watered by Grouse and Plumb Creeks, and is one of the best improved in the township, all in cultivation except ten acres of timber and five acres of orchard. It has one and a half miles of hedge, a fine stone barn, 36 x 46, and a large stone house, l5 x 36, with an ell the same size. When the Dexter Town Company was organized, he became a member, and owned the land on which a portion of the town was laid out. Mr. Furman has been engaged in the stock business the most of the time since he has been in the State. In 1841, he was married to Miss D. Shaw. They had one daughter, Julia A. He was married again in 1854, to Miss Sophronia Shaw. In 1876, he was married to Mrs. Frances Gooding, of Dexter, Kan. Her maiden name was Frances Cann. She was born in Warren County, Ohio, and lived there until twenty-four years of age, then in Indiana, and in 1868 was married to George M. Gooding. In 1868, her husband died, and in 1871, she emigrated to Kansas, and located a claim in Cowley County, on Section 24, Town 33, Range 6. She was one of the pioneers of Cowley County, and when she took her claim was 110 miles from a railroad. She had the claim partly improved and sold it.

G. M. HAWKINS, M. D., was born in Newton County, N. C., in 1837. When six years of age, his parents located in Clinton County, Penn. In 1849, he went to Massachusetts and took an academic course at Brighton College, finishing the course and graduating at Barton College, Me., in 1854. He then took up the study of medicine at Portland, Me., and after reading there eighteen months he went to New York City and finished his course, and graduated at the Medical University of New York, in March, 1857. He then spent one year in the hospitals at Blackwells Island, and from there to Pennsylvania. In 1861, he enlisted in the Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving three months, after which he re-enlisted in the Tenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, serving until the second Bull Run, when he was wounded. Receiving a commission as Surgeon, he remained in the hospital three months and was discharged. In 1864, he went West and located at Minneapolis, Minn., remaining there one year; then for nearly two years he was traveling through the West, and in 1867 located at Le Sueur, Minn. In 1871, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Wilson County. After remaining there one year he settled in Cowley County and made a claim on Grouse Creek, three miles from Dexter, which he improved, remaining on the place four years. He then located at Dexter and resumed the practice of medicine, and is one of the leading physicians in the county. In 1870, he was married to Susan E. Kulp, of Wilson County, Kan. They have four children, viz.: Jennie, Ada, Clara, and Harry. The Doctor is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society and of the G. A. R., Post No. 133, of Dexter.

FOSTER E. HAWORTH, farmer, P. O. Dexter, was born in Polk County, Iowa, 1849, living there until about 1852, thence to Dallas County, remaining there until 1857, when he migrated to Kansas with his father, Dillon Howorth (sic), who located in Lyon County, remaining there until 1860, when they returned to Cass County, Iowa, and remained there until 1870, when he again came to Kansas and located in Cowley County, and made a claim on Crab Creek in Section 32, Town 33, Range 7; was among the early settlers, and when he located was about 110 miles from a railroad, sixty-five from a mill. He remained on his place which he had partly improved until his death, which occurred in 1876. He was a native of Ohio and was born in 1816; was married in Vermillion County, Ill., to Miss Nancy Elliott, in 1841. Since his father's death, the subject of this sketch has carried on the farm, and added improvements each year; the place is a number one stock farm, with plenty of water and timber, thirty-five acres of which are fenced, fifty acres in cultivation, a good orchard and other improvements. In 1880 married Miss Gardner, of Cowley County. They had one son, Stephen D.

J. V. HINES, Postmaster, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, in 1833. In 1835, his parents located at Logansport, Ind., and remained there until 1848, thence back to Ohio, where the subject of this sketch remained until 1861; then enlisted in the Twelfth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving three months. September 1861, he re-enlisted in the Second Ohio Infantry, and was discharged in April, 1865. At the battle of Chickamauga, September, 1863, he was taken prisoner and confined at Richmond, Va., for about three months, thence to Danville, and from there to Andersonville, and the following September he was taken to Charleston, and from there to Florence. He was a prisoner of war about eighteen months, and was nearly starved, the food being corn meal, ground cob, and a little rusty bacon, the fare reducing his weight from 155 pounds to 110. After he came out of the army, he remained in Ohio five years, and in 1871 emigrated to Cowley County, Kan., and made a claim on Section 18, Town 33, Range 7. He was one among the early settlers, and after improving his place and remaining there four years, located in Dexter and engaged in the hotel and livery business, after which he engaged in the real estate and loan business. In 1879, he was appointed Postmaster in Dexter, and has carried on a real estate, loan and insurance business in connection. In 1867, he was married to Rachel McKinnie, of Galesburg, Ill. They have one son, James Mc. Mr. Hines is a member of Dexter Post, No. 133, G. A. R., Dexter Lodge, No. 156, A., F. & A. M., and Winfield Chapter.

R. HITE, merchant, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1834. In 1841, his parents emigrated to Marion County, Ill., where he remained until 1867, when he emigrated to Kansas, stopping the first year in Iola, Allen County; from there he went to Wilson County and located a claim there. The county was unorganized and he took an active part in getting schools established, and was instrumental in organizing the first school district; laid out the first cemetery. In the fall of 1870, located a claim in Crab Creek, Cowley County, and the following spring moved his family to the place. There was but one family on the creek and it was 110 miles from a railroad, while all his supplies were freighted that distance. Mr. Hite remained on this place until 1878, and had it in a good state of cultivation at that time; he then disposed of eighty acres of the place and located at Dexter, where he engaged in the mercantile business, in which he has been very successful, increasing his trade 100 per cent in five years. Mr. Hite is a good business man and has the most extensive business in the place, and takes a great interest in the welfare of Dexter. In 1862, was married to Miss Amy E. McColm. They have four children - Estella, Lucy, John C., and Kate. Is a member of Dexter Lodge, No. 156, A., F. & A. M.

D. A. MERYDITH, farmer, P. O. Dexter, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, in 1839. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving three years and eleven months; was in thirty-one large battles, the following principal ones: Chickamauga, South Mountain, Mission Ridge, Winchester, Cedar Creek, etc., etc. In July, 1865, he was mustered out, and soon after emigrated to Iowa, where he remained until the spring of 1871; thence to Kansas and purchased a saw mill near Dexter, Cowley County, and was engaged in lumbering for two years; he then engaged in farming, buying a farm of 160 acres on Section 24, Town 33, Range 7; also owns ninety acres on Section 14, the same town; has a good farm ; the home place has a fine spring, and the other farm is watered by Grouse Creek. His place is under a fine state of cultivation, has a good orchard and adjoins the town site of Dexter; for a number of years has been engaged in handling stock; served three year terms as Township Clerk. In 1868, he was married to Miss Sabrina Smith, of Lake City, Iowa. They have four children - Metta, Nellie, W. A. and Augusta. Mr. and Mrs. M. are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

CAPT. C. W. RIDGWAY, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Dexter, was born in Washington County, Ohio, in 1829, and for a number of years before the rebellion was engaged extensively in the mercantile business. In 1862, he gave up his business and raised a company, of which he became Captain, and joined the One Hundred and Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, paying his men a bounty of $2,500 out of his own private funds. At the end of one year, he was obliged to resign on account of disability, but sent a substitute in his place. After coming out of the army, he engaged in the mercantile business until 1869, when he sold out and emigrated to Kansas, and for a short time was located in Douglas County. In September, 1870, he located a claim on Crab Creek, in Cowley County, before the survey was made, and drew his provisions from Emporia, 110 miles, the nearest railroad point; was sixty-five miles to mill, and when he located his claim there were but two men on the creek. Mr. Ridgway has a fine stock farm of 240 acres in Section 31, Township 33, Range 7, with an abundance of running water, plenty of timber for shelter, 100 acres fenced, 130 acres under cultivation, three acres of orchard, good buildings and handy to market. He is one of the principal stock men in the county, handling from $7,000 to $10,000 worth annually, and is a successful business man. In 1852, he was married to Miss C. M. Merydith, of Monroe County, Ohio. They have seven children - Amelia J., Permelia, Emma L., C. W., F. S., Caroline M. and Add Lee. He is a member of Dexter Lodge, No. 156, A., F. & A. M., and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

A. J. TRUESDELL, merchant, was born in Tioga County, N. Y., in 1838, where he lived until 1857, when he went to the Odana Mission, Lake Superior, remaining there eighteen months; from there he went to Olmstead, Minn., and pre-empted a piece of land while the country was new. In December, 1862, he enlisted in the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving until November 28, 1863. He was in a good many hard battles, the following being the principal ones: Siege of Yorktown, West Point, Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, Richmond, White Oak Ridge, Malvern Hill, South Mountain and many others, and while in a slight engagement in Maryland lost two fingers by a gunshot. After coming out of the army, he returned to Minnesota, and took a homestead in Martin County. At the end of two years, engaged in the mercantile business at Elgin, Wabasha County; was there until about 1868, when he returned to his old home, Quincy, Olmstead County, and remained there until 1871; thence to Kansas, locating in Cowley County, locating a claim in Tisdale Township; was one of the very early settlers in that township, and put up the second house in that part of the county, drawing the lumber for building nearly 100 miles. In 1873, got up a petition and succeeded in getting the township of Liberty established, taking a part of Dexter and Tisdale Townships. In 1877, sold out and engaged in the hardware business at Dexter; soon after added groceries, and has built up a nice trade, the business in 1882 being 50 per cent greater than in 1879. The subject of this sketch is very popular, and being a good businessman is sure to retain his present trade. In 1863, he was married to Sophronia L. Darling, of Quincey, Minn. They have three children - Charles A., Hattie S. and Wallie N.

G. P. WAGNER, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1845, where he lived until thirteen years of age, thence to Sangamon County, Ill. In 1862, enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years as a fifer in Company A. Soon after coming out of the army, he located at Chamois, Osage Co., Mo., and reading medicine, finishing his course at the St. Louis Medical College in 1867, and engaging in the practice of medicine in Osage County, remaining there until 1870, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Dexter, Cowley County, and has been practicing medicine here continuously since. Soon after, he made a claim on Section 6, Township 33, Range 7, and for a short time was located on this place and had it improved. In 1871, was elected Coroner of Cowley County. The Doctor has built up a fine practice, and has been very successful with his patients. In 1873, he was married to Miss Florence A. Graham, of Dexter. They have four children - Clara M., Annie J., Frank R. and an infant. The Doctor is a member of Dexter Post, No. 133, G. A. R., and a member of the South Kansas Medical Society.

[TOC] [part 14] [part 12] [Cutler's History]