|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Tisdale has three stores and other buildings, and did a flourishing trade with the surrounding country until the spring of 1880, since which time, the railroad having been built some four miles north of it, much of its former trade goes to the railroad stations, and its business is not so good. It has a daily mail and excellent facilities, and will, some time, be one of the pleasantest villages of the county.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - TISDALE TOWNSHIP.
L. S. DOWNS, M. D., New Salem, was born in Ohio in 1857, son of John and Mary Downs; his parents moved to Illinois, when he was but a baby, where he spent the greater part of his life. Mr. Downs was educated in the Columbia College, Missouri, and in the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical Institute. He came to Kansas on the 1st day of February, in 1883, and located in Winfield, where he commenced the practice of his profession; subsequently he located where he now resides; his practice is extensive in Tisdale Township.
R. D. FLUKE, merchant, Tisdale, was born in Marion County, Ill., in 1859. He was the son of Levi and Ruhama Fluke. In 1870, he came to Kansas with his parents, and located in Cowley County, where he was engaged in farming until 1880; in that year he established his present place of business, which has since that time increased 500 per cent. He now has the largest general mercantile store east of Winfield. He is Postmaster of Tisdale, and was appointed in 1881.
WILLIAM A. IRWIN, physician, New Salem, was born in Pennsylvania in 1837; was the son of William and Margaret Irwin; was married in l866 to Miss Minnie M. Zwick, daughter of George and Dency Zwick, who bore him two children - William A. and Minnie Irwin; his wife died in 1875, and in the fall of 1878 he married Miss Maggie J. Graham, daughter of Joseph and Eliza Graham, who bore him two children - Arthur J. and Nellie B. He came to Kansas, in 1876, and located in Cherokee, remaining there one year, then he moved to Floral, Cowley County; subsequently he removed to where he now resides. He is engaged in the practice of medicine; is Postmaster of New Salem; was appointed as such in 1880. He was in the war of the rebellion; enlisted in 1861, in the First Michigan Infantry, Company E; was in the battle of Bull Run; he re-enlisted in the same year, in the First Michigan Cavalry, Company K; was in all the battles of the Potomac, and in other engagements of his command; he was promoted to Major, and was mustered out in 1865. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., of the I. O. O. F., and of the A., F. & A. M.
JOHN McKEE, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Dexter, was born in Ohio in 1824, and while yet in boyhood, removed with his parents to Indiana, where he resided for thirty-five years, and in 1864 removed to Crawford County, Ill., and engaged in farming. In February, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participated with the regiment in active service, being at the attack on Fort Donelson, etc., and was mustered out February, 1863, owing to disability. April 4, 1844, he married Miss Lucinda E. Alexander, who has borne him nine children, only four of whom survive, two girls and two boys. Mr. McKee came to Kansas in 1877, locating in this county, and in 1881 removed to his present location. He has eighty acres under cultivation, his principal crop being corn, with an average yield of thirty-five bushels per acre. He has attended strictly to the business of the farm since his residence here. His son James M. is Clerk of the School Board of his district.
ALEY BROS, farmers, P. O. Cedar Vale. James W. Aley was born in Washington County, Ind., in 1850. He came to Missouri in 1868, and remained there till 1870; when his brother was emigrating, he met him in Missouri, and they came to Kansas and settled together, locating in Cowley County, and made a claim on Section 32, Township 33, Range 8 east, some ninety-five miles from a railroad point; there were but very few settlers in this part of the county, and there were no improvements in sight. He and his brother put up the first house on Cedar Creek, as far north and west as their claims. They have a fine farm well adapted for stock raising. The greater part of the place, consisting of 240 acres, is lying in the valley of Cedar Creek, and watered by that stream, with an abundance of timber for shelter; 140 acres are in a high state of cultivation; 160 acres inclosed with good fences and five acres of orchard, good buildings, and the place stocked with about fifty head of cattle, and they do quite a business in feeding cattle for market. T. H. Aley was born in Washington County, Ind., in 1846, and was raised in that county, and in May, 1864 enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving five months; he re-enlisted in January, 1865, in the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served twelve months. He has served several terms as Township Trustee and other township offices. Was married in October, 1876, to Miss Alice Conklin of Chautauqua County; they have two children - Edwin B. and Mattie. He is a member of Cedar Vale Post 99, G. A. R., and a member of the I. O. O. F., of Cedar Vale, No. 151.
ROBERT McCOMBS, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Dexter, was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1847, and when a boy removed with his parents to this county (sic), and settling in Massachusetts, where his father and subsequently himself was employed in the cotton mills. He remained until 1878, when, losing his wife by death, he came West, and after drifting through several States finally located upon his present farm of 160 acres, about sixty of which are under cultivation. His intention is to go extensively into sheep raising and wool growing. He has a well watered farm, well adapted for that business. He is unmarried, and is assisted by his son Alexander in the management of the farm, etc.
CAPT. N. W. DRESIE, farmer, P. O. Otto, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1837; when eight years of age, his parents came West as far as Michigan. The subject of this sketch remained there until 1856, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Nemaha County, among the pioneers; during the border troubles he served in the militia, which was raised to suppress the border ruffians. In 1862, he enlisted in the Eighth Kansas Infantry, serving three years, and during the siege of Atlanta lost his left arm; he was then commissioned Captain of a company in the Twenty-second Militia, and served until the end of the war. He then returned to Nemaha County, and remained there until 1867; thence to Wabaunsee County, and remained there until 1874, when he sold out and returned to Michigan, and remained there five years, and in 1879 came back to Kansas, locating in Cowley County, and bought a farm on Section 16, Township 34, Range 7, consisting of 160 acres which he has improved, this making the fourth farm he has improved in the State with only one arm to work with. In 1861, he was united in marriage with Miss Helen Ensign, of Centralia, Nemaha County, Kan. They have one daughter - Hattie. He is a member of Dexter Post, No. 105 G. A. R.
WILLIAM DORAN, farmer, Sections 31 and 32, P. O. Otto, is a native of Jefferson County, N. Y., where his father, James Doran, was one of the early settlers and has always been a farmer. He was married in 1866 to Miss Esther Ritchie, who has borne him seven children, three of whom, William H., Walter A. and Etta, now survive. Soon after his marriage he removed to St. Clair County, Mich., and engaged in farming there till 1876, when he went to Colorado and engaged in mining till the spring of 1878, when he located upon his present homestead. He has 320 acres, part of which is devoted to grazing, he carrying from eighty to 100 head of cattle, hogs, etc., his surplus corn crop being used for winter feed. His barns are commodious and there is a large windmill-power well upon the premises.
J. HENSHAW, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Otto, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1833, and is of English descent; and in 1852 removed to California, where he remained several years, and upon his return in 1859, married Miss B. Monck, and engaged in mercantile pursuits until breaking-out of the war, when he disposed of his business and removed to Missouri, and in September, 1862, enlisted in Company C, Ninth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and served with his regiment in all its engagements till August, 1865, when he was mustered out. He soon after engaged in business in Westport, removing to Kansas in 1871, and locating upon a farm in Doniphan County, and in 1878 located upon his present home. He has one son, G. W., who is married residing upon a farm in Liberty Township, this county. Mr. Henshaw has a well cultivated farm and well shaded by 1,200 to 1,500 forest trees. He is a member of Winfield Post, G. A. R., and also of the M. E. Church.
JACOB SMITH, farmer, P. O., Cedar Vale, was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1841. He located in St. Clair County, Ill., and lived there and in Monroe County, until 1869, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Montgomery County, and took a claim there before the Government had secured the land from the Indians. He had to go to Missouri for all provisions, 200 miles distant; after remaining there nearly three years, returned to Illinois, but only remained there a short time, when he came back to Kansas, and located in Cowley County, and entered 160 acres of land on the Cherokee Strip, on Section 6, Township 35, Range 8. His place is situated on Rock Creek; has 120 acres fenced, seventy-five acres under cultivation, two acres of orchard, has good buildings, twenty acres of timber, plenty of water for stock and has the place stocked with about 100 head of cattle, and from seventy-five to 100 head of hogs. Mr. Smith has been successful in his business and is one of the best farmers in this township. He has served one term as Trustee, and several terms as Treasurer of Cedar Township. In 1873, he was married in Cowley County, to Miss Catherine Gallagher. They have two children - Mary and Anthony. Was raised in the Roman Catholic faith.
SPRING CREEK TOWNSHIP.
HIRAM BLENDON, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Maple City, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, and when he was an infant, his parents removed to Illinois, and thence, in 1860, to Iowa. In 1866, he was married to Mrs. Hunt, nee Inman, a widow with one son, Isaac T. Mrs. Blendon has borne him four children, two of whom survive, viz.: Fannie M. and Alon. His farm of 160 acres contains forty-five under cultivation, corn and millet being his principal crops. He has given most attention to cattle and sheep raising, having 300 of the latter. His orchard contains 1,000 peach, seventy-five apple trees, berries, etc. His large stone residence and outbuildings are with contents insured. Mr. Blendon is one of the pioneer settlers; he was here prior to the organization of the township, and voted at the first election.
W. J. COLLIER, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Maple City, was born in Sheffield, England, in 1850, and when a boy removed with his father to Pittsburgh, Penn., and was there employed for several years in one of the large rolling mills; but his health failing, he went to Kentucky, and thence to his present farm in 1876. He was married in 1873, to Miss E. P. Brigham, a native of Pennsylvania, and has two children - William and John. His farm of 160 acres contains eighty in cultivation, corn, wheat and oats, and there is also a young orchard of about 500 assorted trees. His residence and barns are insured, and the farm is well watered by springs. He has been on the School Board as Clerk, and is a member of the M. E. Church, and takes warm interest in the welfare of his adopted State.
GEORGE EATON, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Maple City, was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1839, and when a child came to this country with his parents; he settled in Marion County, Mo., in 1843, and in 1845 removed to Jackson County, Mo., where his father died in 1849, of cholera; he remained with his mother until 1859, engaged in farming; he went to the Pike's Peak country in Colorado, and returned home in 1859, and remained until 1861, and then returned to Colorado, and was engaged in the business of Government transportation and remained in that business until 1867; then returning home he remained there until 1869, when he started for Southwestern Kansas, and settled on his farm of 305 acres where he now lives; engaged in farming and stock-raising; not finding wheat a remunerative crop, has confined his grain crop to corn chiefly, averaging forty bushels per acre, and of millet three tons; his neat one and one-half story farm residence is with its contents insured, and is shaded by ornamental trees and shrubs; his orchard contains 250 assorted fruit trees, various berries, etc., while his stock interest is represented by from $8,000 to $10,000 worth of cattle, horses, etc. Mr. Eaton was married in 1874, to Miss Eliza Prewitt of this county; their children are David Prewitt, aged eleven years; Mary E. Eaton, aged seven years; Anna K. Eaton, aged five years; John H. Eaton, aged three years; Samuel A. Eaton, aged four months. Mr. Eaton is now filling his third term as Trustee of this township, and has also been for three years Director, and is now Clerk of School District No. 58, and is one of the pioneer settlers and representative men of this part of the country.
ALBERT GILKEY, merchant and Postmaster, Maple City, is a native of Vermillion County, Ill., and was engaged in business as a general merchant in the town of Indianola for several years; disposing of his business interests in 1877, he engaged in farming and stock-raising in his native county until 1881, when he came to Kansas, locating in Winfield, where for a year he was in the feed and livery business. He removed to Maple City in April, 1882, and purchased the stock in trade of Mr. Southard, engaged in business here. To the above stock he has since added that of Mrs. James Gilkey, so that his present stock of well assorted general merchandise is now valued at over $3,500, insured for about half that amount. He has recently built himself a large frame store, 20 x 50 feet, costing $1,100 and fitted with every convenience, both for the discharge of his own, and the post office department business. His business already amounts to about $10,000 annually. In addition to his store above mentioned, and barns, etc., he is building a new residence. Although but a young man and a new comer, his business ability, energy and progressiveness are such as render such as he a valuable acquisition to any community. In February, 1883, Mr. Gilkey was elected Treasurer of the township, and is also Treasurer of the School Board of District No. 85.
JAMES H. GILLILAND, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Maple City, was born in Vermillion County, Ill., in 1846, and was brought up on a farm; that which he at present owns in this county consists of 363 acres, seventy of which are under cultivation, corn being his principal crop, with an average yield of fifty bushels per acre. He has directed his attention principally to stock-raising, at present having upward of 100 head of high grade cattle, and as many hogs. He enlisted in the spring of 1864, in Company K, One Hundred and Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out at the close of the war after a year's active service. Returning to Illinois, he was married in 1867 to Miss Margaret Snider, they have eight children, viz: Lillie M. (who was born in Illinois), Thomas, Mollie, Charles, James, Lizzie, Robert and Guy, who are Kansans. Mr. Gilliland came to Kansas in 1868, locating in Cherokee County, and engaged in farming, but in 1874 found that he was on railroad lands and merely getting paid for his improvements, removed to this county, settling upon an unbroken farm here, he got it into a good state of cultivation, and then rented it until the spring of 1883, when he sold it and purchased the farm he at present owns, and which he himself had previously been renting. He has had to contend with many of the hardships and vicissitudes incident to the life of the early settler, but by dint of industry, perseverance and economy, has overcome every obstacle, and is now in a position of comparative affluence; his farm is paid for, and is well stocked and improved and he is several thousand dollars ahead. He has held at various times every office in the gift of this township; is a member of the M. E. Church. and one of the pioneers and representative men of this community.
ROBERT P. GOODRICH, wagon-maker, and proprietor of Maple City House, was born in 1825 in Greene County, and brought up in Union County, Ohio, and in 1855 removed to Illinois, locating in De Witt County, where for eighteen years he was enraged in farming. He then removed to the town of Clinton and engaged in wagon-making until April, 1873, when he came to Kansas, accompanied by his son Enos, and after traveling through several counties, finally decided upon his permanent location here. He purchased a farm of 160 acres, one mile north of Maple City, and also the lot upon which he now resides. The farm he sold after a few years. In 1875, he built part of the house he now occupies, and in 1879 he erected a one story and one-half addition containing five rooms, the grounds attached contain an orchard well stocked with peach, apple and pear trees, berries, etc., and there is also a vegetable and flower garden. He built the Maple City Schoolhouse which cost $1,000, in 1873, and in the spring of 1874, built a shop and commenced business as wagon-maker, his being at this date the only one in the township, the nearest shop being at Dexter, eleven miles distant. From his first residence here Mr. Goodrich was called upon to entertain families and upon increasing the size of his building, opened the Maple City House in 1880, and here let it be said he is one of those who know how to run a hotel. When he first came here there were but two other houses in the place, the owners and occupants of which have since left, thus making him the oldest permanent settler of Maple City. June 27, 1847, he married Miss Oroline Bell, of Steuben County, N. Y., by whom he has nine children, four of whom survive - Enos A., born August 19, 1850; Mrs. Arletta M. Clayton, September 28, 1852; Maggie D., January 8, 1862, and Mrs. Laura A. Tooman, December 20, 1866. Since his residence here Mr. Goodrich has always been one of the Directors of the School Board of his district, having held the same office in Illinois for nine years, and in 1874 was the distributer (sic) of relief to the sufferers from the grasshopper raid, and has ever taken a warm and active interest in all pertaining to the welfare of this community and his adopted State and county.
ROBERT HAINES, farmer Section 28, P. O. Maple City, was born in York County, Ont., in 1843, and when a boy removed with his parents to Putnam County, Ill., where he in due time learned the trade of a carpenter. August 15, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the engagements at Haynes Bluff, Arkansas Post, Guntown, etc., and was mustered out in August, 1865, with the rank of Corporal. He returned to Illinois and engaged in farming, and in 1866, while on a visit to Canada, was married to Miss Esther Lundy, of Lundy's Mills, York County, Ont., who has borne him nine children, viz.: Willie L., Mary E., Florence H., Lizzie M., Reuben, Sarah K., Robert, Charles and Eugene G. Mr. Haines came to Kansas in 1879, and located upon his present farm of 160 acres, fifty of which are under cultivation, corn, millet and sorghum being his chief crops. Cattle twenty head, with hogs in proportion. Since his residence here he has been road overseer, and is the present Clerk of the township, and also of the School Board of his district.
H. S. LIBBY, stock-raiser and farmer, Section 8, P. O. Maple City, was born in Limington, York County, Me., in 1834, and is a son of Capt. Nathaniel Libby. The Libby family is of English extraction, the earliest mention of them being found in the Herald register of Oxfordshire in 1574. In this country they have furnished many Revolutionary heroes, and also during the late war were well represented in both the rank and file of the Federal army, while they claim that the family has never had a criminal or a pauper among its members. The subject of this sketch was by the death of his father early thrown upon his own resources, and learning the trade of a carpenter, he has worked at his trade in many States of the Union, but while in Colorado engaged in mining he narrowly escaped death and received very severe injuries. The loss of sight of one of his eyes, for instance, by the premature explosion of a keg of blasting powder. He was married December 7, 1869, to Miss Jennie E. Moody of his native town, they have no children of their own but have an adopted one, Lizzie I., aged sixteen months. Mr. Libby located on his present farm July 2, 1871; of his 400 acres of land located upon Section 8 and 17, twenty-five are under cultivation, corn yielding forty bushels, and millet three tons per acre. His orchard contains about three hundred fruit trees, berries, etc. He keeps about 100 head of cattle, raising fifty calves annually, horses twelve, and hogs forty . His one story and a half residence is shaded by forest trees and shrubs. Since his residence here he has been Trustee of the township in 1874 and 1875, and coming to this section prior to the organization of the township may be considered as one of its pioneer settlers. He takes an active interest in all pertaining to the welfare of his adopted State and county and has always been looked upon as one of the representative men of his township.
ARCHIBALD MUIR, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Dexter, was born in Dunkeld, Scotland, in 1841, and in early life learned tits trade of a blacksmith. In 1864 he married Miss Margaret Cairns, who has borne him six children, but four of whom now survive, viz.: Archie, Marion, Robert and William. Mr. M. came to the United States in 1869, at first locating at Buffalo, N. Y., worked at his trade till 1874, when he came to Kansas, locating in Independence, where he worked at his trade, but finding it telling upon his health he removed to his present farm in 1879. His farm of 160 acres contains ninety under cultivation, corn and wheat being his principal crops. His orchard contains about 600 assorted trees, some of which are bearing. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, but has been too busy since his residence here to take any interest in political matters.
F. P. MYERS, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Maple City, was born in Prussia in 1829, and when he was but an infant his parents removed to this country and landing at Baltimore, settled for a time in Maryland, subsequently moving to and locating upon a farm in Missouri, where he was brought up. Prior to the opening up of Kansas as a Territory, Mr. Myers had several times crossed it upon his trips to and from Mexico, but his first location in it was in 1856, when he settled in Greenwood County, near Eureka, and during the war of the rebellion was a member of the militia, and for several years was engaged on frontier duty. Upon the close of the war, he moved to Butler County; thence to his present home. His farm of 128 acres, contain 100 under cultivation, corn and flax being his principal crops, the latter averaging eleven to fifteen bushels per acre. His stock consists of eighty-five head of cattle, forty hogs, horses, etc. The farm is well fenced by stone and hedge; contains three acres of assorted forest trees, and an orchard of 1,000 peach, eighty apple and other trees, and two acres in berries; a dwelling house, granary, etc. Mr. Myers has been twice married, and has nine children, all residing at home. With the exception of two excursions into the Indian Territory, he has spent twenty-six years in Kansas, and may well be considered one of the pioneer settlers of the State.
JAMES PRENDERGAST, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Dexter, was born in Union County, Penn., in 1835, and has always been engaged in farming. In 1859 he married Miss Elizabeth Thomas, who has borne him eight children, six of whom are now living, viz.: Edwin, Oscar, Myra, George H., Wilbur E. and Lizzie. In 1860, Mr. P. removed to Michigan, and in August, 1862, enlisted in Company E, Eighth Michigan Volunteer Infantry. He participated with the regiment in all its engagements and was mustered out in August, 1865. Returning to Michigan, he remained there until his removal to Kansas in 1872, locating for a little over five years in Miami County, and thence to his present farm of 185 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation in grain. He has also devoted some attention to stock, hogs, principally. His neat frame residence and barns are, with their contents, insured. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been on the School Board of his district, and is also a member of Winfield Post, G. A. R.
G. E. RITTENHOUSE, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Maple City, was born in Williamsburg, Penn., in 1840, and is of the old Pennsylvania Dutch stock, and in early life learned the trade of a carpenter, at which he worked in his native town, and also in Toledo, Ohio; from whence he relocated to Kansas in the fall of 1877, and locating upon his present farm; has been engaged in farming and also working at his trade. His farm of eighty acres is nearly all under cultivation, and contains a neat, frame residence and good barns, etc. He was married in 1864 to Miss Gertrude Parmenter, of Philadelphia, Penn., and has three children-John R., Gertrude and Albert. Mr. R. is a member of the Dutch Reformed Church, and has been twice upon the School Board of the district.
J. B. SOUTHARD, merchant, Maple City, was born in Vermillion County, Ind., in 1828, and in due time he engaged in farming, and subsequently in mercantile pursuits; and in July, 1850, was married to Miss M. J. Amos, of Indiana, who has borne him twelve children, seven of whom survive, viz.: William, who is married, residing in Indiana; Mrs. Clarinda Butterfield, of this county; Garrett, Samuel, George, Darrell and Alonzo. In the summer of 1862, Mr. S. enlisted (while temporarily residing in Vermillion County, Ill.), in Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was with the regiment in several skirmishes under Gen. Thomas' command, and in the battle of Peach Tree Creek was wounded by minie bill in the foot, which has permanently disabled him, and for which he receives a pension. He was mustered out at the close of the war at Quincy, Ill. He came to Kansas in 1870, locating in this township when there was but one house in it, that of Mrs. Floyd, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, locating upon a farm of eighty acres on Section 11, where he remained until 1874, when he rented and subsequently sold his farm, and purchasing a lot built his present store and residence, thus being the first merchant in Maple City. His stock of well assorted general merchandise in this store is valued at $1,000, which, with the building, is insured. In addition to the above, he has another store in Otto, which is presided over by Mrs. Southard; and the stock therein contained is valued at $2,000. Since his residence here, he has been a Director of the School Board of his district, and as will be seen by the date of his arrival, is one of the pioneer settlers of this township.
DR. SAMUEL THOMSON, Justice of the Peace, P. O. Maple City, was born in 1833, in the village of Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland, also the birthplace of Dr. D. Livingston the explorer. While yet a boy, the subject of this sketch removed with his parents to Blenheim Township, Oxford Co., Canada, and having received in his native land the foundation of a sound education, he here studied Latin during spare time, and then attended the Toronto University of Medicine; graduated from this in 1856. To allopathy the Doctor has since added the eclectic method of treatment. He commenced the practice of his profession in Lyndon, Ontario, where he remained five years, when he removed to Seaforth, Huron County, and thence to Beverly Township, where in February, 1860, he married Miss Sarah Hunt, by whom he has two children - Mrs. Sara Gould, who with her husband and child resides here and was born in December, 1860, and Mrs. Ada Stover, born April, 1862, and residing in Silverdale Township. Mrs. Thomson died in 1865, and in 1870, the Doctor with his patients and his own children, came to Kansas and located in Tisdale Township. Engaged in the practice of his profession there until he removed to his present location July 27, 1882. In the spring of 1883, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and is one of the early settlers of the Central and Southeast portion of Cowley County. His practice here is steadily increasing, embracing a radius of fully ten square miles, and extending for several miles into the Indian Territory.
CYRUS WILSON, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Maple Grove, was born in 1822 in Randolph County, W. Va., and when eleven years of age, accompanied his parents to their location upon a farm in Joe Davis County, Ill. He there learned the trade of a carpenter, at which he worked until his removal to Kansas in 1868. He remained a year in Fort Scott and thence to Chetopa, working at his trade, and in 1875, located upon his present farm of 160 acres situated upon Sections 29 and 32. His farm is well watered both by wells and a creek, and fenced with stone; corn and millet have been his chief crops, with fair average yield. The orchard contains about 800 assorted fruit trees, whilst the residence and outbuildings are insured. Mr. W. is a widower with eight children, four of whom are in Colorado, one in Illinois and three here. In 1879, he built the first steamboat ever launched in Kansas, at Arkansas City this county, 'the Cherokee,' a vessel 16 x 80 feet. He still works at his trade of carpenter and builder. He was Postmaster of Maple City one year, and has also been Clerk of the school board of his district.