|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Burden is the child of the railway, in a sense. Had there been no K. C., L. & S. road, the town site would still be a farm. In this it resembles a large portion of the newer towns of the State, the town coming to the railway instead of the railway to the town. The principle is the same as that of Mahomet and the mountain. It is located 225 miles southwest of Kansas City and sixteen east of Winfield. It was laid out in the fall of 1879 by a town company consisting of Robert F. Burden, Ford & Leonard, O. B. Gunn and T. K. Johnson. Of this company, Burden was President, and the town was named in his honor. The town site proper covers eighty acres, but the property of the town company is considerably more extensive. Twenty acres were purchased of Isaac Gatton, and 160 of Findlay Graham. The railway was completed to this point February 1, 1880.
Immediately after the laying out of the town, settlers flocked into it, and every available shanty within a considerable radius was hauled to town to do temporary duty. An old claim shanty which stood on the town site when it was laid out was moved from the main street, and now wears out a dishonored old age as a cow shed. The first building erected was the stone store of Ford & Leonard; the second, the drug store of Hooker & Phelps (now R. R. Phelps); the third, the post office building. The first birth in the town was that of a daughter of J. M. Hooker; the first death, William Schooling, who was building a store, but died before its completion; the first wedding, J. H. Wood and Miss Smith. The first physician was J. M. Wright; the first attorney, S. S. Moore. The great majority of the early settlers are still residents of Burden. The town has not, as yet, been incorporated, but the matter is now being agitated, and it will probably soon become a city of the third class.
Prior to the founding of Burden, there was a country post office two miles northwest of this point, known as Moscow. Here Z. W. Hogue was Postmaster. When the town came into assured existence, Moscow was abolished and Burden established, with E. A. Henthorn, the present official, in charge. The post office was first located in a small frame building on Main street, where it remained until removed, in 1882, to the stone building occupied by the Enterprise.
The first hostelry in the town was run by J. H. McCumber, who moved a large house from the country and, after some alterations, opened it to the public. The second hotel was the Hiseler House, put up by the town company and run until 1881 by Solomon Hiseler. The Summit House was built in 1880 by S. S. Moore, who still runs it.
The town now has a population of about 400, and the following industries: General stores, 7; drug stores, 1; hardware, 1; hotels, 2; jewelry stores, 1; agricultural implements, 3; land and loan offices, 2; lumber yards, 1; furniture stores, 3; livery stables, 1; meat markets, 1; restaurants, 1; millinery stores, 1; billiard rooms, 1; blacksmiths, 2. The professions are represented by two physicians and one attorney.
Prior to the existence of Burden, there was a district school one mile north of the town site. This building was moved to town in the summer of 1881. School was taught in the school year of 1881-82, by E. A. Millard and Miss Mattie West, and in 1882-83, by T. J. Rood and Miss Mary A. Rood. One hundred and fifty-four scholars are now enrolled and in attendance. A stone building will soon be erected to meet the demand for more room. This structure will have four rooms; cost about $4,000, and will be completed in the summer of 1883.
It is difficult to decide which of the three religious bodies of the town should be accorded priority, as two of them had an organization and services at points near town long before the railway made Burden a possibility.
The Methodist Church had been holding services in the district schoolhouse near town, and moved in at an early day. Its first pastor was C. W. Commons, who remained until the spring of 1882, when J. Q. Knight, the present incumbent, was appointed. A fine church building was completed and dedicated in 1882. To this church belongs, nominally at least, the only Sabbath-school of the town. This has an average attendance of seventy-five, and is in charge of J. H. Phelps.
The Baptist Church also had been worshipping at the schoolhouse near town. It was first supplied by Mr. Thomas, of Winfield, then by Rev. R. S. Thompson, and now by Rev. S. P. Firestone. It has a membership of twenty. Services are held once in each month. As yet, it has no house of worship, and occupies the school building.
The Christian Church was organized in the spring of 1882, Rev. J. W. Shively, of Lane, Kan., who still officiates once a month at this point. It has a membership of about thirty-five. Services are held in the schoolhouse.
Burden Lodge, No. 88, A. O. U. W. was organized on February 25, 1882, with a membership of thirty-five, and the following officers who still hold place: E. A. Millard, M. W.; E. A. Henthorn, P. M. W.; J. F. Teter, Foreman; E. Pate, Overseer; J. A. Goforth, Rec.; H. W. Young, F.; J. H. Phelps, Medical Examiner. The order now numbers thirty-nine. Meetings are held on Saturday of each week in A. O. U. W. hall. The society has never had a death, and has property to the amount of $100.
The Enterprise was started in April, 1880, by D. O. McCray. Its form was that of a six column folio with a "patent outside." In August, 1881, McCray sold the office to Henthorn & Floyd. Six months later the style of the firm was changed to Henthorn & Bro., and in December, 1882, J. W. Henthorn, of Missouri, was associated as managing editor. Since February, 1882, the paper has been a seven-column sheet. It now has a circulation of 900; issues Thursdays, and is straight Republican in politics.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SILVER CREEK TOWNSHIP.
NATHANIEL BROOKS, farmer and banker, Section 26, P. O. Burden, was born in Tennessee in 1846. Is a son of John and Elizabeth Brooks. He was married in 1868 to Miss M. H. Livingston, who has borne him eight children, of whom seven survive - Elizabeth F., Laura E., Lucy H., George O., Walter K., Charles H. and Hattie. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1870, and located in Miami County, remaining there until the spring of 1871; subsequently, he removed to the farm on which he now resides. Owns 320 acres of land, having it all under fence. His orchard consists of 100 peach, seventy-five apple trees and a variety of small fruit. He is a member of the firm of Brooks Bros., bankers, they being five in number. He is cashier of the bank, which was established in May, 1883, with a capital of $20,000 paid up stock. The business has started with very good prospects. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Recorder and District Steward of the church.
S. A. BROOKS, farmer and banker, Section 25, P. O. Burden, was born in Tennessee in 1838. Is a son of John and Elizabeth Brooks; was married in 1857, to Miss Lucy Tate, daughter of D. N. and Mary Tate. They have seven children, five of whom are living - John N., Edward P., Ulysses C., Lucy E. and Lillie M. He came to Kansas in 1883; located upon the farm on which he now resides; owns 360 acres of land, of which he has 250 under cultivation. Mr. Brooks is President of the Brooks Bros.' bank, he being one of five brothers. The bank was established in May, 1883; the capital is $20,000. They have also 1,300 acres of land belonging to the estate. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. A. CHAPMAN, merchant, was born in St. Joseph County, Ind., in 1843, son of Jarel and Elizabeth Chapman. He was married in 1873, to Miss Lucena E. Hefly, daughter of L. J. and Elsie Hefly. He came to Kansas in l855, located in Douglas County, where he remained until the border troubles, when he was obliged to leave the State. On his return, he found much of his property destroyed. In 1867 (sic), he located in Miami County, where he remained until the breaking-out of the war; he enlisted in Company A, Missouri Guards; was mustered out in l862, then returned to Wyandotte, Kan., and commenced the study of medicine. After pursuing the usual course, he practiced at Independence two years, at the end of which time he moved to Canola, remaining there two years, where he pursued the practice of his profession, and established a drug store in connection. In 1874, he removed to Lazette, Cowley County, remaining there seven years, five of which he was in the drug business, and two in the general merchant business. In 1880, he removed to Burden and established in the general merchant business, in which he still continues. The increase of business is 400 per cent. He is Treasurer of Burden.
E. A. HENTHORN, banker, of the firm of Henthorn & Bros., Burden, Kan., was born in Henry County, Iowa, in 1852; the son of Amos and Elizabeth Henthorn. He was married in 1874 to Miss Margaret R. Baker, daughter of John Baker, by whom he has four children, Ross E., Elizabeth, Frederick A. and Arthur P. He came to Kansas in 1872, and located in Cowley County, eight miles northwest of Burden, where he was engaged in farming for seven years. Subsequently, he removed to Burden in 1879; he established the land and loan business and was appointed Postmaster, which office he still retains. In 1881, he became editor of a newspaper styled the Burden Enterprise. In the spring of 1881, he established the Burden Bank, it being the first one in Burden. At the age of twenty-two years, he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he held five years. He owns 560 acres of land, of which he has 220 under cultivation; has five acres of orchard on one farm. He is a member of the K. of H., of the A. O. U. W., of the I. O. O. F., of the Burden Town Company, and President of the City Council.
H. H. MANSFIELD, station agent, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1862; is a son of W. Q. and H. P. Mansfield. He spent the greater part of his life in traveling in this country and Europe. In 1870, he came to Kansas with his parents; located at Winfield, where he learned telegraphy. In 1882, he removed to Burden, and was then appointed station agent of the K. C., L. & S. K. He is also agent for the Adams Express Company. His father had the first drug store in Winfield.
S. S. MOORE, land and loan agent, Burden, was born in Beaver County, Penn., in 1837, is a son of Samuel and Hannah Moore. He was married in 1864, to Miss Elizabeth Trask, daughter of Orville and Margaret Trask, of Wauseon, Ohio; has two children - Glen D. and Llewellyn V. He came to Kansas in 1881, and settled on a claim at the geographical center of Cowley County, where Tisdale was soon after located, covering forty acres of his land. In the spring of 1872, he established the land and loan business, in which he still continues, the increase of business being 800 per cent. In 1880, he removed to Burden and built a hotel called the Summit House, and ran it in connection with the land and loan business until the 1st of June, 1883, when he leased the hotel for one year. He owns 640 acres of land. In 1872, he was appointed Notary Public by Gov. Harvey; in 1876 by Gov. Osborn, and 1880 by Gov. St. John. He was Trustee of Tisdale Township for three terms; is at present Director of the Burden City Schools and Township Trustee of Silver Creek Township, and is a member of the A. O. U. W.
H. B. RUDE, M. D., was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1826, son of James and Mary Rude; was married in 1850, to Miss Elizabeth Miller, daughter of Richard and Julia Miller, who bore him five children, viz.: Hannah M., Mary J., Thomas J., Elmira and James R. He commenced the study of medicine in Iowa, and practiced five years with his preceptor. Graduated in class 1852-53. He has attended exclusively to the practice of his profession; came to Kansas in May, 1872; located in Greenwood County, remaining there two years, then he removed to Cowley County, where he has acquired an extensive practice. He is a member of the Christian Church, of the A., F. & A. M., and of the I. O. O. F.
T. J. RUDE, teacher, is a native of Iowa, was born in 1856, son of Dr. H. B. and Elizabeth Rude. He was married in 1877, to Miss Ella Rice, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Rice, who bore him two children, viz.: Elizabeth and Ella. Mrs. Rude died in 1880, and in 1882, he married Miss Mary J. Gentry, daughter of S. S. and E. A. Gentry, who has borne him one child, viz.: Nola B. He commenced his classical education in Indiana, and finished in Hartford, Kan.; taught his first school in Cowley County in the fall of 1882. He removed from Dexter to Burden, where he is now Principal of the Public School. The school building is a fine edifice valued at $4,500. He is a member of the Christian Church, of the A. O. U. W., Winfield Lodge.
E. W. WOOLSEY, Assistant Postmaster, was born in Elmira, N. Y., in 1848, son of John and C. S. Woolsey; was married in 1874, to Miss Carrie Barrie, born in Fort Atkinson, Wis., in 1848, daughter of Thomas and L. R. Barrie, who has borne him three children, viz.: Ada E., Alta J. and Cora L. In 1869, he removed from New York to Iowa, where he taught school for eight years. He came to Kansas in 1877; located in Butler County, where he remained two years; subsequently, he removed to Timber Creek, Cowley County. In the spring of 1883, he removed to Burden and took charge of the post office; is also engaged in the sheep business; owns 600 head, with which he is having good success; has taught school seven years in Kansas; is a member of the A. O. U. W., Burden Lodge, No. 88.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WINDSOR TOWNSHIP.
B. H. CLOVER, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Cambridge, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in 1838, son of Henry and Mary Clover; was married on the 1st day of April, 1859; has seven children, viz.: Julia, Thomas H., William S., John P., Susie, Charles and Frank. He came to Kansas in 1870; located upon the farm on which he now resides; owns 930 acres of land, of which he has 400 acres under cultivation. His orchard consists of 1,000 peach, 200 apple tress and a variety of small fruits. He is largely interested in stock, with which he has great success. He is President of the Cambridge Town Company.
GEORGE COIL, M. D., was born in Warren County, Mo., in 1839, son of Jacob and Sarah Coil; was married in 1863, to Miss Anna Gibson, who has borne him six children, viz.: Emme, Frances, Oscar, Maggie, George and Stella. Mrs. Coil died, and in 1882, he married Miss Louisa McCoy. He commenced the study of medicine in Pinckney, Mo., and graduated in class 1859-60, in the St. Louis Medical College. He practiced eighteen years in Montgomery County, at the end of which time his health would not permit him to attend to his professional duties. He come to Kansas in 1881; located at Cambridge, Cowley County. In February, 1882, he bought a livery stable, also a hardware store. The increase of business is 25 per cent. He is a member of Royal Templars of Temperance.
S. M. FALL, Section 20, P. O. Cambridge, was born in Preble County, Ohio, in 1838; is a son of John and Anna Fall. Was married, in 1863, to Miss S. M. Dale, daughter of Washington and Eliza Dale. They have had one child, Blanch who died in March, 1880, aged ten years. He came to Kansas in 1871, and located on the farm on which be now resides. Owns 480 acres of land; has 180 acres under cultivation. His orchard consists of 300 peach, 300 apple trees, and a variety of small fruit, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Feeds a large number of cattle every winter. He is a member of the Cambridge Town Company.
H. F. HICKS, editor, Cambridge, was born in Knox County, Mo.; is a son of Elisha and Sarah Hicks. Was married, October 24, 1876, to Miss Mollie A. Gollihar, daughter of James and Catharine Gollihar. They have had four children - Myrtle E. was born July 26, 1877; Lanora, October 14, 1878; Clarence, September 1, 1880, died November 11, 1880; Belle, August 19, 1882. He came to Kansas in 1877; located on Grouse Creek, Cowley County, where he was engaged in farming for one year. From thence he removed to Cambridge. In 1881, he and his brother established a newspaper, continuing one year. In September, 1882, he established the Cambridge News, in partnership with S. B. Sherman, the firm being known as Sherman & Hicks, also the land and loan business. The increase of business since its establishment is 150 per cent. In October, 1881, he was appointed Postmaster of Cambridge, which office he still retains. Was appointed Notary Public March 3, 1883, by Gov. Glick. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the Royal Templars of Temperance, also the Cambridge Town Company.
N. B. HOLDEN, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Cambridge, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1853, son of Josiah and Sarah Holden. Was married, in 1877, to Miss Nanie Jones, daughter of Dr. Thomas and Mary Jones. Has two children, viz., Pearl and Grace. He established himself in the sheep business in 1875 in New Mexico. That State not suiting for the business, he removed to Kansas in 1881 and located in Cowley County. He has 3,000 head of sheep; ships 15,000 pounds of wool yearly to the Eastern markets. He is one of the most successful sheep dealers in this part of the country; some of them will shear thirty pounds per head. Is engaged in farming; owns 160 acres of land. His principal crops are corn and millet.
J. H. PLEASANTS, M. D., P. O. Cambridge, was born in Green County, Ky., in 1835, son of William and Nancy Pleasants. He enlisted in 1861, in Company E, Twelfth Kansas Volunteer Regiment. Was elected Second Lieutenant at the organization of the regiment; afterward promoted to First Lieutenant. Was in the battle of Jenkins, Ark., and in other engagements of his command. Was mustered out in 1865. He commenced the study of medicine in 1860, and graduated in class of 1872-73, after which he practiced in Illinois. He came to Kansas in 1880; located at Cambridge, Cowley County, where he now resides. He has an extensive practice, extending over a radius of eight miles. He has devoted himself exclusively to the practice of his profession. He is a member of the Southern Kansas and Kansas State Medical Societies. Was a Representative of the Thirty-ninth Senatorial District in the Thirty-first General Assembly, 1858-59, of Illinois. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He was married, in 1874, to Miss Emma Wilkinson. Has one child - Effa Pleasants.
SAMUEL B. SHERMAN, editor, Cambridge, was born in McHenry County, Ill., in 1842. Was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Sherman. He was married, in 1872, to Miss Jane Sutton, daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Sutton, who has borne him three children, viz., Emma, Charles E. and Cora M. He enlisted on August 19, 1862, in Company K, Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry. He was in the battles of Pleasant Hill, Fort Du Russey, Tupelo, second Nashville, Fort Blakely, and in other engagements of his command . Was mustered out on the 8th day of August, 1865. He came to Kansas in 1866; located in Marshall County, where he was engaged in saw-milling. In 1871, he removed to Cowley County, Windsor Township. In 1881, he was appointed agent of Cambridge Station, on the K. C., T. & S. K. R. R., which appointment he retained until the establishment of his present business. In 1882, he, with H. F. Hicks, issued the first newspaper, styled the Cambridge News, which has proven a success; also established in the land and loan business. In 1878, he was appointed Justice of the Peace, and in 1879 he was elected for the same office. In 1881, he was appointed Notary Public by Gov. St. John, and in 1883 he was re-elected for Justice of the Peace. In the spring of 1879, he was elected Township Trustee. He is a member of the Royal Templars of Temperance, also of the Cambridge Town Company.
McD. STAPLETON, merchant, Cambridge, was born in Hancock County, Ill., in 1847. Is a son of Cyrus and Margaret Stapleton. He was married, in 1877, to Miss Rebecca Ramage, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Ramage. They have one child, Earl. He came to Kansas in 1858; located in Wyandotte County, where he finished his education. In 1871, he removed to Cambridge, Cowley County, establishing there a general merchandise business, in which he continued until the spring of 1883, the increase of business being 50 per cent. In the spring of 1882, he bought a half interest in a general merchandise store at Cedar Vale which he still retains. The business is increasing very fast. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He is Secretary of the town company, he being one of the organizers of the town.
J. A. VAWTER, station agent, Cambridge, is a native of Indiana, and was born in 1864, and is a son of J. W. and Louisa Vawter. He remained in Madison, Ind., until 1881. In that year he came to Kansas and located at Vinland, Douglas County. He was there engaged as agent for the K. C. L. & S. K. Railroad. In 1882, he was transferred to Wellington. He was subsequently appointed agent at the Cambridge station. He learned telegraphy in Indiana.