|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (NEWMAN - WRIGHT).
A. A. NEWMAN, merchant, was born in Maine, in 1843, son of A. G. and Caroline S. Newman. Was raised in his native State. He enlisted, in 1862, in Company K, Twenty-ninth Regiment Maine Volunteers. Participated in the engagements of Winchester, Cedar Creek, Fisher's Hill, Chancelorville (sic), and others of his command. He was mustered out in 1865, after which he spent three years in Tennessee, engaged in merchandising. In 1868, he came to Kansas, located at Emporia, where he remained until 1872, when he removed to Arkansas City, having previously established a store at that place. In 1871, his business amounted to $12,000, and increased to $60,000 in 1882. He carries a full line of clothing and dry goods. Business is located on the corner of Summit street and Fifth avenue. He was married in 1869 to Miss Mary M. Houghton, daughter of Sewell and Mariah Houghton. Has three children - Pearl, Earl G. and Albert L. He is one of the directors of the Cowley County Water-Power Company. He was President of the Cowley County Bank from 1872 to 1875. He, in connection with Daniel Beedy, built the first flouring mill in the county, in 1871. It was located on the Walnut River, near the city. Mr. Newman soon after bought the interest of Mr. Beedy, and operated the mill until 1879, when he sold it to Charles H. Learing. He was Mayor of the city in 1882. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Masonic fraternity, Chapter and Commandery.
J. B. NIPP, livery and stock dealer, was born in Kentucky, in 1838, son of Robert and Elizabeth Nipp. He enlisted, in 1861, in Company E, Second Kentucky Cavalry. He participated in the engagements of Shiloh and others of his command. He was wounded at Bardstown, Ky., in a cavalry charge, by a gunshot through his right shoulder, October 4, 1862. He was disabled for six months, when he was discharged for disability. He then recruited a company, and was commissioned their Captain, Company C, Fortieth Kentucky Mounted Infantry. He participated in all the engagements of his command, holding the commission until the close of his term of service in 1864. In 1863, he was detailed to service in the Commissary Department, where he remained until December, 1874 (sic), when he was mustered out. He then returned to Kentucky, and engaged in farming, stock and merchandising. In 1867, in connection with T. S. Javens, bought a passenger steamboat on the Ohio River, which they ran for two years, between Parkersburg and Pittsburg. In the spring of 1870, he came to Kansas, and in 1871 brought his family and located on a claim in Pleasant Valley Township, in Cowley County, where he remained until 1878, when he removed to Arkansas City and engaged in the stock business. He owns 400 head of horses and mules, and 1,300 head of cattle, in company with a partner. His stock range is in the Indian Territory, he renting from the Cherokees. In 1883, he opened a livery stable in Summit street, near Stewart's Hotel. He works twenty-six head of horses in the livery, and is doing an extensive business. He was married in 1864, to Miss Mary A. Eastham, daughter of Edward E. and Sarah Eastham, who has borne him nine children, six of whom survive - Laura B., Robert A., Sarah R., James B., Jr., John C. and Wyard G. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Royal Arch Masons, also of the K. of H., and the G. A. R., Arkansas City Post, No. 158, and Commander of the Post. He has been a member of the school board for six years. In 1883, he was elected Trustee of Creswell Township. He is now Candidate for County Treasurer of Cowley County.
A. W. PATTERSON, proprietor of the Leland Hotel, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., in l840, son of A. W. and Julia Patterson. He removed to Michigan with his parents at the age of thirteen. He came to Kansas from Michigan in 1871, located at Arkansas City. Engaged in various pursuits until 1878, when he engaged in the livery business, and in 1883, became proprietor of the Leland Hotel. It is located on the corner of Summit street and Fifth avenue, building 65 x 80 feet, two stories, containing thirty-five rooms. The hotel is the best one in the city, and is kept in first class style, and is doing an extensive business. He was married, in 1871, to Miss Ida Godfry, daughter of E. M. and Jennie Godfry, who has borne him three children - Nellie, Georgie and Leota. He is a member of the A. O. U. W.
A. J. PYBURN, attorney at law, was born in 1837, in Andrew County, Mo (sic), son of William and Sarah Pyburn. He was educated in Savannah, Mo., and commenced reading law in 1860. He enlisted in 1863, in Company K, Third Minnesota Infantry. Was attached to the Seventh Army Corps, and stationed at Little Rock, Ark. He was mustered out in 1865, and returned to Missouri, but soon after removed to Iowa where he continued his law studies and was admitted to the bar in 1870, at Bedford, Iowa, and there entered upon the practice of his profession. After two years, he came to Kansas, and located at this point and engaged in law practice from that time. In 1874, he was elected County Attorney, which position he held for two years. In 1876, he was elected to the State Senate, from the district composed of Cowley County; served four years. He was married in 1857, to Miss Agnes Adams. She was a native of Kentucky. The issue of this marriage has been five children, four of whom survive - Luzetta, Alice, Walter and Helen. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
ROBERT H. REED, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Huntingdon County, Penn., September, 1832, son of Samuel and Lydia Reed. He was educated at the college at Allegheny City, Penn., and at the Keokuk Medical College of Iowa, in which he graduated in the class of February 25, 1869. He commenced the practice of his profession in Fountain Green, Ill., in the spring of 1869. Removed to Kansas the following November, and located in Ottawa. After one year, removed to Longton, Howard Co., now Elk County, Kan., where he remained until May, 1878, when he removed and located in Arkansas City. He has devoted himself closely to his profession, and has an extensive practice. He was married in January, 1858, to Miss Margaret J. Watt, daughter of John and Jane Watt, of Mifflin County, Penn., who has borne him one son - Samuel B. Reed. He is a member of the Union Presbyterian Church, and for many years a Ruling Elder of the same.
O. C. R. RANDALL, attorney at law, was born in Erie County, Penn., in 1843, son of O. C. and Louisa Randall; he was raised in his native State. He enlisted in 1862, in Company A, Thirteenth New York Cavalry. He participated in the battle of Gettysburg and others of his command. He was discharged in 1864. He then returned to Pennsylvania, and resumed the study of law, which he had commenced in 1861. He was admitted to the bar in 1868, and entered upon the practice of his profession at Warsaw, Mo., where he remained for four years. In 1875, he came to Kansas and located at Stockton, Rooks County, where he remained for seven years in the law practice, during which time, he was extensively known through the northwestern portion of the State, and was deservedly popular as a criminal lawyer. In 1882, he removed to Arkansas City, where he is now practicing. He was census enumerator for Stockton Township in 1880, and was appointed Notary Public in 1882. He was married in 1874, to Miss Rosa Wickham, daughter of Noys and Rosan Wickham. They have three children - Josephine, Mary Lois and Charles F.
C. SCHIFFBAUR, merchant, firm of Schiffbaur Brothers, was born in Cologne, Germany, in 1846. He came to the United States with his parents at the age of three years, they locating at Cincinnati, Ohio, where they remained until 1858, when they came to Kansas, and located at Leavenworth. In January, 1870, he went to the Indian Territory, and took charge of the business of Durfee & Company, which position he held for one year and a half. He then accepted the position as cashier for the house of J. S. Evans & Company, where he remained for four years. In 1876, formed a partnership with N. W. Evans & Company. They established the first post settler store at Fort Reno. The firm was composed of N. W. Evans & Schiffbaur Brothers. After one year, he and his brother sold their interest in the firm to N. W. Evans & Company and established their present business in Arkansas City. They carry a full line of groceries, hardware and general supplies. They are contractors for Government supplies for the different Indian agencies. Their business is located on Summit street, two doors from Fifth avenue. Their business has increased about seventy-five percent since its establishment. They have a Government contract for building a college in the Territory, six miles from this place, to accommodate about 175 pupils, the building to cost $35,000, to be completed in 1883. He was married in the fall of 1878 to Miss Mariah Chamberlain. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
C. M. SCOTT, stock dealer, was born in 1850, son of J. W. and Jane Scott. He came to Kansas in 1869, and located at Emporia. In 1870, he came to Arkansas City; he was among the first settlers, there being but five or six houses in this place at that time. He brought a printing press and newspaper stock with him, and at once established the Arkansas City Traveler, the first paper published at this place, and the first printed in the county. He edited the paper for ten years, when he sold it. He is now devoting himself exclusively to the stock business. He owns a sheep ranch with 5,000 head of sheep, and a cattle ranch consisting of 2,500 acres and has at present 120 head of cattle. He was appointed Postmaster of this city in 1875, and held the office for four years. He was employed for four years by the United States Government as Indian scout in the Territory, during which time he was in the engagements at the mouth of Cimarron River, and at Fort Arbuckle, where he was wounded by gunshot in the leg. He was commissioned Captain of the Fifth Independent Cavalry, known as the Kansas Guards, held that commission for four years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Chapter and Commandery.
JAMES T. SHEPARD, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in St. Louis County, Mo., in 1833; son of Samuel and Anna Shepard. He was educated at the Des Peres College, and at the St. Louis Medical College, where he graduated in 1859. He commenced the practice of his profession the same year, and since that time he has devoted his attention exclusively to it. After fourteen years' practice in Missouri, he removed to Kansas in 1873, and located at Arkansas City. He was married, in 1871, to Miss Sarah B. Dixon, daughter of Benjamin and Charlotte Dixon, who has borne him one child - deceased. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Masonic fraternity, Royal Arch, and of the A. O. U. W. In 1879, was appointed Surgeon of the Sixteenth United States Infantry, special service. He was physician of the county poorhouse in 1878-79. He is a member of the South Kansas and State Medical Societies. He was a delegate in 1882-83, from the South Kansas Medical Society to the American Medical Association.
W. M. SLEETH, President of the Cowley County Bank, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1833; son of David and Margaret Sleeth. He was raised in his native State, and enlisted, in 1861, in Company A, Seventy-eighth Ohio Regiment. He participated in the engagements of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, and in those of Sherman's march to the sea. In l863, he was commissioned First Lieutenant, and was detailed Acting Commissary Subsistence of the Third Division, Seventeenth Army Corps, with rank of Major. He was mustered out in 1865, after which he spent one year in school teaching, and then went to Tennessee, and engaged in the milling business for four years. In 1869, he came to Kansas, and located at Emporia, and in the spring of 1870, removed to Arkansas City. He was among the earliest settlers of that place, and a member of the original town company. He engaged in the lumber business, and erected a steam saw-mill the same year, which was the first saw-mill in Cowley County. He remained in the lumber business for two years, and was then engaged in farming and other pursuits until 1874, when he took charge of the Cowley County Bank, of which he is now President, it being owned by Sleeth & Farrer. In 1883, he erected their present bank building, 25 x 80 feet, three stories, built of pressed brick and cut stone, erected at a cost of $12,000, located on the corner of Summit street and Fifth avenue. He was married, in 1869, to Miss Mary M. Hutchison, daughter of Nathan and Mary Hutchison. They have had five children, four of whom survive - Margaret, William W., Pauline and Eula H. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. He has held the office of County Commissioner for two terms, and City and Township Treasurer for six years, and member of the City Council.
HENRY P. STANDLEY (sic), editor and proprietor of the Arkansas City Traveler, was born at Leamington, Warwickshire, England, in 1848. He was raised and educated in his native country. He came to the United States in 1870, located in Morris County, Kan., and engaged in farming and other pursuits until 1872, when he came to Arkansas City and commenced the printer's trade in the office of the Traveler, under C. M. Scott, with whom he was associated for seven years. Mr. Scott, in September, 1878, sold the Traveler to Dr. N. Hughes, who ran it until April, 1880 , when Mr. Stanley purchased it, and became its editor and publisher. The Traveler was the first paper printed in Cowley County. The first number was printed on August 26, 1870, and has been published every week since that time. It is a nine-column paper, and has a weekly circulation of 700. It is Republican in politics, its columns belonging exclusively to the proprietor, and is solely devoted to the interests of Arkansas City and Cowley County. Mr. Stanley was married, in 1880, to Miss Lizzie Landis, daughter of Alexander and Delia Landis, natives of Pennsylvania. They have two children - Henry and Marian Stanley. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
C. L. SWARTS, attorney at law, was born in Canton, Fulton Co., Ill., in 1853; son of B. C. and Mary J. Swarts. He came to Kansas in 1869. At the time he arrived at this place there was not a building here. There were a few settlers camped on the Walnut River. They were the only ones in the southern part of the county. He engaged in farming for a few years, and during the winters taught school. In 1878, he commenced reading law, and was admitted to the bar in 1880. Since that time, he has devoted himself exclusively to the practice of his profession. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the Masonic fraternity.
C. G. THOMPSON, firm of Hilliard & Thompson, proprietors of the Star Livery Stable, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1836; son of John and Margaret Thompson. Went with his father to Wisconsin at the age of eight years. In 1856, he came to Kansas, arriving at Lawrence the day after the State Hotel was burned. He engaged in farming until 1862, when he enlisted in Company G, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers. He participated in the engagements of Fort Wayne, Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, Van Buren, the Price raid, and others of his command. He was commissioned Captain in 1864, and was mustered out in 1865. In 1880, he was commissioned Captain of Thirteenth Cavalry Company of Kansas. He held that commission until 1881, when he resigned. He came to Arkansas City in 1881, and engaged in the livery business, which business he has followed for the last ten years; stables located on East Fifth avenue. They keep from forty to fifty head of horses in their livery business and mail routes. They have two mail lines - a daily to Geuda Springs, and a tri-weekly to Wellington. They also own a livery stable at Geuda Springs, managed by his son, Frank Thompson. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
JAMES C. TOPLIFF, Postmaster, was born in Boston, Mass., in 1838; son of Samuel and Jane Topliff. He was raised in his native State. He enlisted, in 1862, in the navy attached to the Department of the Gulf squadron. He was commissioned, in 1862, as Assistant Paymaster. He served two years, when he was discharged from the service on account of physical disability. He then returned to Boston where he remained for one year, and then spent three years in Memphis, Tenn., engaged as Assistant Assessor in the Internal Revenue service. He then went to Illinois, and after one year, came to Kansas, and located at Emporia. In 1872, he came to Cowley County, and located a claim in Bolton Township, where he spent two years in farming. In 1874, he moved to Arkansas City, and engaged in merchandising until 1880, when he was appointed Postmaster.
M. B. VAWTER, surgeon-dentist, was born in Kentucky in 1857, son of David J. and Susan B. Vawter. He was educated in his native State; he attended the dental department of the University of Louisville, Ky.; he commenced the practice of his profession in 1876 in Kentucky, where he remained for three years. He came to Kansas in 1879, located at this place; his office is located on the corner of Summit street and Fifth avenue; devotes himself exclusively to his profession. He was married in 1882 to Miss Alma Dixon, daughter of B. H. Dixon. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and of the Masonic fraternity, also of the Independent Champion of the Red Cross.
W. P. WOLFE, contractor and builder, P. O. Arkansas City, was born in Janesville, Wis., in 1854, and when a boy of ten years removed with parents to Buchanan County, Iowa; and when nineteen years of age engaged in learning photography in Independence, Iowa, and in 1875 went to Wisconsin. Was married to Hattie C. Moore. They have two children - Jesse E. and Herbert E. In 1876, he came to Kansas and located at Arkansas City, immediately establishing himself in carpentering and contracting business, which he is still following; he now has the contract of building the first Methodist Episcopal Church in Pleasant Valley. In connection with contracting, in March, 1882, he engaged himself with A. H. Harnly in the furniture business, the firm being known as Wolfe & Harnly. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the S. K. of the A. O. U. W.
J. M. WRIGHT, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Fulton County, Ill., in 1836, son of William and Amelia Wright. He was educated at the State Medical University, at Keokuk, Iowa; graduated in 1860; commenced the practice of medicine in Illinois. In 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Fifteenth Regiment Iowa Volunteers, participated in the engagement of Shiloh; he was discharged in the fall of the same year for disability. He then resumed his practice at Cuba, Ill.; in 1866, moved to Iowa, where he followed his profession for eleven years. In 1877, he came to Kansas, located in Cowley County; in 1882, moved to this place; he has devoted himself exclusively to his profession; he has a large city practice, which extends into the surrounding country. He was married in 1863 to Miss May Wilson, daughter of D. P. and Sarah Wilson. The issue of the marriage has been four children, three of whom survive - George, Frank and Blanche. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of Masonic fraternity and Royal Arch, also of the I. O. O. F. and of the Southwest Kansas Medical Society.