|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ENDICOTT - MOORHEAD).
HENRY ENDICOTT, proprietor of the city meat market, was born in Indiana in 1841, the son of Henry C. and Jane Endicott. He enlisted in 1862 in Company B, One Hundred and Fifteenth Illinois Volunteers; he participated in the engagements of Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Resaca, Franklin, Nashville, and others of his command, eighteen in all; he was mustered out in 1865; returned to Illinois, where he was married to Miss Luverna Moyer, daughter of Jacob and Sarah Moyer, who has borne him five children, three of whom survive - Jacob C., Larkin and Otis; he came to Kansas in 1865; located in Greenwood County, where he remained for four years engaged in farming and stock-raising; in 1870, he located at Arkansas City; was among the first settlers of this place; he has been engaged in stock and meat market business since coming to this place; his market is located on Summit street, between Fifth and Center avenues. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Masonic fraternity and of the G. A. R. Arkansas City Post, No. 158.
H .P. FARRAR, cashier of the Cowley County Bank, was born in Maine in 1851, son of Byron and Mary J. Farrar; he was raised in his native State until he came to Kansas in 1872; located in Arkansas City and engaged in merchandising for two years; in 1874, he became cashier of the Cowley County Bank and was its manager until 1876. The bank was established in 1872 as a stock bank with William M. Sleeth, as its Vice President. In 1875, Mr. Sleeth came into the bank as its President, and during that year the stock was purchased by him and Mr. Farrar, who then made it a private bank. The business for 1874 amounted to $25,000; in 1882 to $225,000. The capital is $60,000. The bank is located on the northwest corner of Summit street and Fifth avenue. Mr. F. was married in 1874, to Miss Celia H. Foss, daughter of James A. and Areneth L. Foss, of Portland, Me. He has two children - Cora P. and Arthur H. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Chapter.
REV. S. B. FLEMING, Presbyterian clergyman, was born in Armstrong County, Penn., in 1848; son of Samuel and Rebecca A. Fleming. He was educated at Princeton College, N. J (sic), and graduated in the class of 1871, and at the Western Theological Seminary in 1874. He commenced the work of the ministry in the same year in Kansas. He was ordained at Oxford, June 14, 1874; he was the first Presbyterian minister ordained in Kansas west of the Arkansas River, and the church of Oxford was the first Presbyterian Church built. After one year, he accepted a call from the church in this city, to become its pastor, which relation he has since sustained; when he commenced his labors the church numbered twenty-nine members; there have been three extensive revivals during this time, and 130 members have been received on profession of faith. He was married in 1868 to Miss Emma E. Guthrie, daughter of William and Margaret C. Guthrie, natives of Pennsylvania. The issue of this marriage has been four children, three of whom survive - William S., James G. and Roy C. He was Superintendent of Public Instruction of Sumner County in l874. He is an earnest temperance worker and has been active in producing the good results that have followed the observance of prohibition in this city. He organized a church in Oakland Agency, Indian Territory, in 1880, of ninety members, all of whom he baptized. These were all full blooded nee Perces Indians of Chief Joseph's band.
T. J. GILBERT, stock-raiser, was born in Crawford County, Mo., in 1846, son of Nathan and Elizabeth Gilbert. He came from Missouri to Kansas in 1871; located at Cedar Vale in 1872, and went into the Indian Territory and was the licensed trader at the Kaw agency for nine years. In 1878, commenced in the stock business and now owns 400 head of cattle and nine head of horses. He pays a lease to the Indians for range for his cattle. In l883, he located at Arkansas City. He was married in 1876 to Miss Anna Thompson, daughter of Thomas and Eliza Thompson, by whom he had two children - Anna and Thomas. In 1880, his wife died, and a year later he was married to a sister of the deceased, who has borne him one child - Robert Gilbert.
EDWARD GRADY, lumber merchant, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1843, son of Patrick and Mary Grady. Was raised in his native State, and moved to Illinois in 1857, where he resided until 1869, when he came to Kansas and located at Ottawa and engaged as clerk for the L. L. & G. R. R., and assisted in opening every station on that road. In 1871, he located in Bruno Township, Butler County, and was one of the organizers. He still owns the farm, on which he then located, of 160 acres, 125 of which are under cultivation. He has an orchard of 200 peach and apple trees, and a variety of small fruits. In 1872, he went to Wichita and engaged in the lumber business for McClure & Co., and remained with them for six years. He was elected Constable in 1881. In February, 1883, came to Arkansas City and opened a lumber yard, located on the east side of South Summit street, and has already an extensive business. He was married, in l874, to Miss Mary E. Fox, daughter of B. H. and Martha Fox, who has borne him six children, three of whom survive - Bessie, William E. and Chester A. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and the I. O. O. F. and of the Encampment.
J. H. GRIFFITH, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1824; son of Belford and Elizabeth Griffith. He was educated at the Ohio University at Athens, Ohio, and at the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, and a hydropathic course, under the tuition of R. F. Trail, in Cincinnati. He commenced the practice of his profession in 1849, in Illinois, where he practiced for eight years. He then went to Iowa, and after remaining six years in that State, he returned to Illinois, where he remained for twenty years. In 1878, he came to Kansas, located at Arkansas City, and has since followed his profession at this place. He was married in 1844, to Miss Fidelia Hanshaw. They have had five children, three of whom survive - Charles, James W., and Emma. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Masonic fraternity, and a Royal Arch Mason; also of the I. O. O. F., and the State Medical Association of Illinois and Kansas.
JAMES HILL, contractor, was born in England in 1835, son of John and Elizabeth Hill. He came to America at the age of twenty-one, located in Canada, where he remained for nine years. He then spent five years in New York. In 1880, he came to Kansas; located in this city in the spring of 1881. He organized the Arkansas City Water-Power Company, of which he is President, with a capital stock of $50,000, for the purpose of building a canal from the Arkansas River to the Walnut River, a distance of two and one-half miles. The canal is fifteen feet on the bottom, five feet deep, affording 700 horse-power. There are now two flouring mills run by this power, and another in process of construction, one with a capacity of eighty barrels per day and two of 150 each per day. The canal was completed in one year from the time of commencement. The stock is all owned by five citizens of this place. He is proprietor of a large gravel bed, the gravel from which is used for ballasting railroads. Four thousand five hundred car-loads were shipped from it last season. He was married in 1855, to Miss Anna Wood, who bore him one child - Martin Hill. His wife died in 1857, and in 1858 he was married to Miss Ann Upton, who died in 1872, and in 1873 he was married to Miss Eliza Upton. He is a member of the M. E. Church and of the Masonic fraternity.
CHARLES HOLLAWAY, of the firm of Hollaway & Fairclo, druggists, was born in Illinois in 1858, son of John M. and Melvina Hollaway. He came to Kansas from Illinois in 1870, located at Arkansas City, and commenced business as drug clerk. In May, 1880, he established his present drug house, he running it until 1882, when he formed the firm of Hollaway & Fairclo. The business is located on South Summit street. It has increased to four times its volume of the first year. They own the building, 22 x 50 feet, built of wood. He was married in 1882, to Miss Annie Crow. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. T. Fairclo was born in Illinois in 1839, son of Isaiah and Hannah Fairclo. He came to Kansas in 1879, located at Arkansas City, and engaged in the cattle business for two years. He then formed a partnership with Mr. Hollaway in the drug business. He was married in 1878, to Miss C. L. Hakes, who has borne him one child - Jay. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
T. R. HOUGHTON, harness-maker and saddler, was born in Maine in 1844, son of Sewell and Mariah J. Houghton. He learned the trade of harness-making in 1868, and engaged in that business until 1870. In 1871, he came to Kansas, and located on a farm in Creswell Township. He engaged in farming until 1880, when he moved to Arkansas City, and established his present business of harness-making, it amounting the first year to about $8,000, and in 1882 to about $16,000. His shop is located on South Summit street. He was married in 1866, to Miss Nellie J. Newman, daughter of Liberty and Lydia Newman, who has borne him two children, one of whom survives - Maud E. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was Treasurer of School District No. 34 for two years.
J. L. HUEY, banker, was born in Pennsylvania in 1848, son of David and Eliza Huey. He was raised in his native State, and came to Kansas in 1872, and located at Arkansas City. He was employed in the Arkansas City Bank. In 1876, he was appointed County Treasurer. In 1877, he opened a real estate, loan and insurance office, which business he has followed for three years. He then established the Creswell Bank, with a capital of $30,000. The loans and deposits for the first year amounted to $50,000, which is increased to $190,000 in 1882. The bank is located on Summit street. Mr. Huey was married in 1875, to Miss Mary E. Hawkins, daughter of Vincent and Polly A. Hawkins. He has one child, Barritt V., born in 1876. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Masonic fraternity, Chapter and Commandery; also of the Knights of Honor. He was the Trustee of Creswell Township in 1877. When Mr. Huey came to this place, he was connected with the United States survey in the Indian Territory.
T. R. JOHNS, stock-raiser and dealer, was born in Ohio in 1845, son of John and Mary E. Johns. Was raised in his native State. Enlisted in Company F, Thirty-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteers in 1863. Was mustered out in August, 1864. After leaving the service, he located in Indiana, and engaged in the lumber business where he remained until 1870, when he removed to Springfield, Mo., where he remained until 1879, when he came to Kansas and engaged in the stock business. He has spent the most of his time in the Indian Territory, his family residing at this place. He owns 600 head of cattle and 2,200 head of sheep. He is a member of the Stockmen's Association. He has the contract for furnishing the rock for building the Indian College. He was married in 1873, to Miss Mary E. Wright, who has borne him two children, one of whom survives - W. Laroy. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Royal Arch Mason.
H. D. KELLOGG, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Warren County, Penn., in 1839. He is a son of Hiram and Delia B. Kellogg. He enlisted in Company C, Nineteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and participated in the engagements of Chickamauga, Stone River and others of his command. He was wounded at Chickamauga by gun-shot, with which he was in the hospital until the close of his term of service. He was mustered out in 1864. He then completed the study of medicine, which he had previously commenced, and graduated at Rush Medical College, Chicago, in the class of 1866-67. In 1867, he came to Kansas and located at El Dorado, where he practiced for three years, and in 1870 moved to Arkansas City. He was one of the earliest settlers of this place, and was a member of the town site company. In 1875, he purchased the drug business of Mr. Keith, which he carried on in connection with his profession under the firm name of H. D Kellogg & Co (sic), and which was subsequently changed to Kellogg & Hoyt, and removed to Emporia, where he remained a year and a half; he then sold his interest and returned to this place and associated with W. D. Mowry and established the drug business, located on Summit street, between Fifth and Central avenues. He was married in 1870, to Miss Sarah E. Hess. The issue of this marriage has been four children, three of whom survive - William H., Estelle L. and Harry H. Mr. Kellogg is Mayor of the city, now serving his third term. He was Superintendent of Public Instruction in Butler County for two terms, and County Clerk of that county; also, Postmaster of El Dorado and Clerk of the District Court of Butler County. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., Select Knights, National Union and the G. A. R., Arkansas City Post, No. 158.
JOHN KROENERT, dealer in groceries, produce and stoneware, was born in Iowa, in 1860; son of Andrew and Margaretta Kroenert. He came with his parents to Kansas in infancy, they locating at Leavenworth, where he was raised. In 1877, he came to Arkansas City, and engaged as salesman until 1880, when he established his present business. He carries a full line of groceries, produce and stoneware. The business has increased about 100 per cent since its establishment. Its location is on Summit street, between Fifth and Center avenues. He owns the building, 22 x 60 feet, and wareroom attached. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church and the Masonic fraternity.
JAMES A. LOOMIS, dentist, was born in Erie County, Penn., in 1834; son of Isaac C. and Jane Loomis. He was educated at the Lawrence University, of Appleton, Wis., and graduated in 1858; after which he read law, and was prepared for admission to practice but on account of failing health was obliged to abandon his purpose. In 1864, he commenced the practice of dentistry. In l874, he came to Kansas and located at Arkansas City, and accepted the position of cashier of the Arkansas City Bank, which he held for three years and then resumed the practice of dentistry. The bank with which he was connected was removed to Winfield. He was married in 1862, to Miss Elvira S. Eaton, daughter of Rufus P. and Sophalia Eaton. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Masonic fraternity; also, of the K. of H. and the A. O. U. W. He has been a member of the City Council for one term.
REV. H. S. LUNDY, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in Pennsylvania in 1846; son of Ellis and Matilda Lundy. He was educated at the Dickinson Seminary, of Williamsport, Penn. He commenced the work of the ministry in 1868. He was ordained Deacon in 1872, and Elder in 1878. He was a local minister from 1868 to 1874, when he joined the Central Pennsylvania Conference, where he remained until October, l882, when he was transferred to the Southwest Kansas Conference. He located at Arkansas City. He now has six congregations in his circuit. During his ministry, he has received about 600 members into the church, twenty of whom since coming to Kansas. He organized a church at Gueda Springs in April, 1883, and is now erecting a church building at that place. His ministry has been marked by the blessings that have followed his labor. During the war of the rebellion, he enlisted in Company B, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, in 1864. He participated in the engagements of St. George Court House, Chattanooga and others of his command. In July, 1864, he was prostrated with typhoid fever, from which he did not recover sufficiently to rejoin his regiment. He was mustered out in 1865. He was married in 1874 to Miss Lucy E. Graham, daughter of L. and M. Graham. They have had three children - Irvin L., Grace A. and Jennie P. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the I. O. O. F.
G. H. McINTIRE, Deputy United States Marshal, was born in New Hampshire in 1844; son of Timothy and Catharine McIntire. At the age of ten years, he came to Kansas with his parents, locating at Topeka. He was the first boy in that place. He removed with his parents to Lyon County. He enlisted in 1862, in Company C, Eleventh Kansas Volunteers and participated in the engagements of Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, Price's raid from the Kansas to the Arkansas Rivers, and escorted the mails from Fort Larned to Bent's Fort; was mustered out in August, 1865. After the war, he was engaged in farming for two years in Lyon County; then in the stock business until 1870, when he came to Arkansas City, and for two years was engaged in merchandising under the firm name of McIntire & Son, since which time he has been engaged as an officer. He now holds the position of Deputy United States Marshall; was appointed in 1880. He was elected Constable in 1873, and has held that office since. He was also appointed Deputy Sheriff in 1873, and held that position for ten years, and is now a candidate for Sheriff of this county. He was married in 1869 to Miss Mary R. Champlin, a native of Wisconsin, who has borne him four children, three of whom survive - George E., Cora, Linnie and Alma. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and Select Knights.
TIMOTHY McINTIRE, editor of the Democrat, was born in New Hampshire in 1819; son of David and Mary McIntire. He was raised in his native State. In 1850, he removed to Maine, where he remained until 1854, when he came to Kansas, and located at Topeka, and was one of the first settlers of that place, and was a member of the original town association. He engaged at his trade, which was that of a stone mason. He assisted in the erection of the old Constitutional Hall, the building from which Sumner dispersed the Topeka Legislature. He was door-keeper at the Topeka Constitutional Convention. In 1858, he removed to Lyon County, and was elected Probate Judge of that county in 1864, which office he has held for two terms. In 1870, he removed to Cowley County, and located at Arkansas City; he was elected a member of the legislature in 1872. In 1879, in connection with his son, C. M. McIntire, established the Arkansas Valley Democrat, and it is now run under the firm name of McIntire & Son. It is an eight-column paper, Democratic in politics, and devoted to the interests of Cowley County. He was married in 1839, to Miss Catherine J. Hill, daughter of Henry Hill, natives of New Hampshire. They have four children - Betsey J., George H., A. T. and C. M. He is Justice of the Peace, and has held that office for ten years in the county and five years in Lyon County. He is a member of the City Council. He was a Free-State man, and took an active part in the questions connected with the history of the Territory, and has ever been active in building up the interests of the community in which he lives.
T. H. McLAUGHLIN, of the firm of McLaughlin Bros., grocers, was born in Maine in 1842, son of James and Rhoda McLaughlin. He was raised in his native State; he enlisted in 1862 in Company K, Tenth Regiment Main (sic) Volunteers. He participated in the engagements of Chancellorsville in 1863. He was transferred to the Twenty-ninth Regiment, Maine Volunteers, Company K. Took part in the engagements of Gettysburg, Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, and others of his command. He was wounded at Cedar Creek by a gun shot in the left leg, which caused its amputation. He was in the hospital six months; mustered out in 1865. After the war, located in Tennessee, and engaged in merchandising, where he remained three years, after which he spent two years in Ohio, and in 1869 came to Kansas; located at Emporia, and in 1871 came to Arkansas City; engaged in merchandising under the firm name of Houghton & McLaughlin, and continued the business until 1880, when he sold his interest in the firm and formed a partnership with his brother, under the title of McLaughlin Bros.; business located on Summit avenue, between Fifth and Central avenues; business increased about 50 per cent since 1880. He was married in 1872, to Miss Mary Waldo, who has borne him two children - Harry and Fay. He was a member of the first City Council of Arkansas City.
R. J. MAXWELL, druggist, of the firm of Shepard & Maxwell, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1854, son of Samuel E. and Nancy M. Maxwell. He was raised in his native State, and came to Kansas in 1874; located at Arkansas City, and for one year engaged in school teaching, after which he engaged for two years as a drug clerk. In 1877, he associated himself with Dr. Shepard, and purchased the drug business of Lewis Gardiner, and from that time has carried on the business. The location of the business is on Summit street, near Central avenue. The business has increased about 500 per cent since 1877. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the Masonic fraternity.
G. W. MILLER, hardware merchant, was born in Erie County, Ohio, in 1846, youngest son of Jacob and Elizabeth Miller. He was raised in his native State, and there learned the trade of tinsmith. He enlisted in 1864 in Company H, One Hundred and Ninety-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry; participated in the engagements of his command, and was mustered out in September, 1865, after which he returned to Ohio, where he remained until l866, when he removed to Jackson, Mich., where he remained one year, after which he spent one year in Chicago, engaged in the hardware business. In 1869, he located in Pike County, Mo., engaged in the hardware business, where, in that year, he was married to Miss Isabella Thurmond, by whom he has two children - Mervin T. and Jocie May. In the panic of 1873, he met with severe financial reverses. In 1879, he came to Kansas, locating at Witchta (sic), Sedgwick County, in 1880. He removed to Arkansas City, there engaging in the hardware business with D. S. Rose. Soon after, Mr. Rose removed his stock to Winfield. Mr. Miller remained with him until 1882, when he returned to this place, and established his present hardware business; his location is on North Summit street, between Fifth and Central avenues; his business has increased about 200 per cent since its establishment. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the G. A. R., Arkansas City Post, No. 158.
REV. I. N. MOORHEAD, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in Milton, Penn., in 1851, son of Rev. John and Elizabeth Moorhead. He was educated at the Kishacoquillas Seminary, in Mifflin County, Penn. At the age of twenty-one, commenced the work of the ministry. He joined the Pennsylvania Central Conference. In 1874, he was ordained Deacon, and in 1876, Elder. He was transferred from that conference in 1880, to the Southwest Kansas Conference. His first charge was at La Cygne; his next appointment was at Wellington, where he remained one year. He then accepted the charge at this place, where he has since remained. During his ministry, has built two church buildings, and organized five churches. He has filled seven charges during his ministry of eleven years. He was married in 1877 to Miss Harriet B. Holmes, daughter of John and Sylvina Holmes. The issue of their marriage has been three children - Mary E., Anna R. and John N. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.