KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


COFFEY COUNTY, Part 9

[TOC] [part 10] [part 8] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (NICHOLS - WOODFORD).

DR. G. C. NICHOLS was born in Madison, Dane Co., Wis., in 1849, and lived in his native State sixteen years, and moved to Minnesota and lived there four years, and returned to Wisconsin and remained there until he came to Kansas in 1878, and located in Burlington, and engaged in the practice of medicine. He was educated in medicine in the Pultie College of Cincinnati, and the Hahnemann Homoeopathic College of Chicago, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession for five years. He was married in Burlington, in 1879, to Miss Emma Carter, a daughter of the Hon. Samuel J. Carter, of Burlington. They have one child -- Earl. Dr. Nichols is a member of the Knights of Pythias.

DR. WILLIAM F. OSBORN was born in Fayette County, Pa., in 1830, and lived in his native State twenty- three years, and removed to Quincy, Ill., and lived there until 1857, then removed to Chicago, and remained there three years; then moved to Memphis, Mo., and commenced the practice of medicine, and also took editorial charge of the Memphis National Democrat, entering warmly into the political issues that were then about to convulse the nation, strongly advocating the cause of the Union, and opposing the secession movement. In 1861 he returned to his native State and entered the army as Assistant Surgeon of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; was promoted and made Surgeon of the Thirteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and remained with that regiment until it was mustered out of service at the close of the war. He then located in Mount Pleasant, Pa., and practiced his profession there until 1870, when he removed to Burlington, Kan., where he has since resided. Dr. Osborn commenced the study of medicine in Quincy, with Dr. W. S. Everett; took a six months' course at the Michigan University, then went into the office of Dr. Daniel Brainard, of Chicago, and graduated at Rush Medical College, February 15, 1860. He studied law, and was admitted to the bar as a practicing attorney in Burlington, in 1872. He was married in Fayette County Pa., in June, 1875, to Miss Frances Freeman, a native of that county. They have two children, William F. and John L. The doctor is a member of the Masonic Order, and I. O. O. F. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

PETER S. PATTON was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1818, and at the age of twelve his father moved to Cass County, Ind., in 1830, and remained there seven years. In 1837 he returned to Ohio, and remained there until 1855; moved to Iowa and located in Fairfield, Jefferson County, and lived there until March, 1860, when he moved to Coffey County, Kan. Mr. Patton was married in 1842, in Butler County, Ohio, to Miss Anna M. Oglesby, a native of Ohio. They have four children by this marriage -- Cynthiana, Melissa J., Joseph W., and William B. Mr. Patton lost his wife in the spring of 1854; was married again the same year, in Butler County, Ohio, to Mrs. Carolina Brown. Mrs. Brown had three children -- Charles O., Mary Anna, and Rachael Brown. Mr. Patton has two sons by his second wife, Samuel D. and Isaac H. Mr. Patton, in the early part of his life, was a carriage-maker, and was engaged in merchandising from 1853 to 1857, and from 1860 to 1866, was engaged in farming in Coffey County, Kan. In 1866 was elected Register of Deeds of Coffey County, and moved to Burlington, and held that office two years; was appointed Postmaster of Burlington, and held that office ten years, and since has been engaged in the hotel business. He is a member of the Masonic Order. He lost his sight in 1860, and has been totally blind ever since.

W. B. PATTON, Clerk of the District Court of Coffey County, came to Kansas in 1860, and located in Coffey County, and has lived in the county since, and in Burlington since 1865. Mr. Patton was born in Preble County, Ohio, in 1849, and lived in his native State six years, and removed with his parents to Jefferson County, Iowa, and lived there until 1860, when he came to Kansas. Mr. Patton was married in Batavia, N. Y., in 1874, to Miss Elva L. Crippen, a native of New York. He was manager of the postoffice in Burlington for five years, and was Clerk of the District Court for Coffey County in 1881-82.

CHARLES PUFFER was born in Lewis County, N. Y., in 1825, and lived in his native State nineteen years, and removed to Janesville, Wis., and lived there seven years. Removed to Winnebago County, Wis., lived there and in Waupacca County until he came to Kansas in 1858. He was married in Wisconsin in 1857 to Miss Hannah Butler, a native of Indiana, and has six children -- Mary E., Charles H., Edwin F., Emma J., Nellie M., and Katie E. Mr. Puffer was Captain of the militia of Company K, Sixteenth Regiment, and was elected to the State Legislature in 1870, and served one term, and in 1873 was appointed one of the Commissioners of Public Institutions of the State, and served two years, and has been five years a member of the City Council for Burlington. He is a member of the Christian Church. He is at present engaged in the drug business in Burlington.

REV. J. H. RALSTON was born in Fairview, W. Va., June 25, 1851, and lived in his native State twenty years. He received his literary education in Washington and Jefferson College, and his theological education at the Western Theological Seminary at Allegheny City, Pa., graduating in the class of 1879. He was licensed to preach April 13, 1879. Came to Kansas in May, and was ordained as an evangelist in the Presbyterian Church Nov. 5, 1879. He was installed as Pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Burlington early in the spring of 1882. He was married in Cannonsburgh, Pa., in March, 1880. Mr. Ralston commenced his work in Burlington with only eight members and no property, and has now about sixty members and a commodious church that cost $4,000, and a flourishing Sabbath School.

HON. A. M. F. RANDOLPH was born in Allegany County, N. Y., and educated at Alfred Academy, N. Y., and at Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa., where he graduated June 29, 1853. During the most of his school life he supported himself by teaching school and working on a farm. He taught school in Covington, Ky., from March, 1854, to April, 1859, being most of the time Assistant Principal of the High School. In June, 1856, he received from Allegheny College the degree of Master of Arts. Read law with Stevenson & Kinkead, of Covington, and in April, 1859, was admitted to practice in the Courts of Kentucky. In July, 1859, he went to St. Louis, and remained a short time, and thence to Memphis, Scotland Co., Mo., and located in the practice of law, and remained until August, 1861, when he returned to Covington, Ky., where he resided until October, 1868. Engaged in teaching school; was Principal of the High School in 1864 and 1865. He was a member of the first company of the first regiment raised for the Union cause in 1861 in Kentucky, which company became part of the Forty-first Kentucky Regiment. In October, 1868, he came to Kansas, and in November of that year located in Lawrence, where he staid (sic) until October, 1869, when he settled in Burlington as an attorney-at-law. Was elected County Attorney of Coffey County for two terms; was Attorney General of Kansas from January, 1875, to January, 1877. In October, 1876, was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States. Mr. Randolph served as a member of the Legislature of Kansas in 1879, and was appointed Reporter of the Supreme Court of the State April 1, 1879. Mr. Randolph is engaged in the practice of law as well as Reporter for the Supreme Court, and occasionally contributes articles for the press.

JAMES REDMOND, lawyer, has been engaged in the practice of his profession since 1864, and has been in his present location since 1867; the firm name being Redmond & Junkins. Mr. Redmond came to Kansas in November, 1867 and located in Burlington and has lived there since. He was born in Greene County, N. Y., in 1831, and lived in his native State about four years, and removed with his parents to Seneca County, Ohio, and lived there till 1850, and from 1853 to 1856 lived in Indiana and removed to Illinois in 1858, and lived there till December, 1860, and returned to Ohio and remained there till 1861, and enlisted in Company B, Forty-ninth Volunteer Infantry and was promoted to First Lieutenant, and resigned on account of disability in August, 1863, and returned to Ohio and received an appointment as Colonel of a regiment; but on account of disability did not enter the service again. After his return he took a course of lectures at the University of Michigan and located in La Grange County, Ind., in the practice of law, and remained there till he came to Kansas in 1867.

URIAH RUCH was born in Pennsylvania in 1830, and lived in his native State eighteen years, and moved to Butler County, Ohio, and lived in that State about ten years, and moved to Indiana and lived there three years, and moved to Platte County, Ills., and lived there about five years, and came to Kansas in 1877 and located in Chanute, Kan., and lived there two years and came to Burlington in 1879 and engaged in the carpenter business, and since engaged in the hotel and bakery business. He was married in Butler County, Ohio, in 1859 to Miss Mary A. Gift, a native of Ohio. They have five children -- Emma, Laura, Alice, Josaphine and Franklin. Mr. Ruch is a member of the Masonic Order, and he enlisted in the First United States Veteran Volunteer Regiment in 1864 and served until the close of the war in 1865.

WILLIAM J. SANDERS, grocer, was born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1832, and lived in his native State twenty-four years, and in 1856 moved to Union County, Iowa, and remained there one year and came to Kansas and located in Coffey County in 1857, and engaged in farming. He was married in Coffey County in 1868 to Mrs. Sarah Bradford, a native of New York. Mrs. Bradford had one child -- Letta Bradford. Mr. Sanders has five children -- Vannie T., Ollie M., Mary A., William R. and Walter H. He was elected to the office of Sheriff of Coffey County in 1864, and held that office for two terms; and was Mayor of the city of Burlington two terms and member of the City Council one term, and has been Under Sheriff two terms, and Deputy County Assessor for two terms. Mr. Sanders established business in Burlington in 1872, under the firm name of Sanders & Hoffman, and has been engaged in business there since. He is a member of the Masonic Order.

ORANGE E. SANFORD was born in Summit County, Ohio, on January 4, 1842, and lived in his native State twelve years, and moved to Menasha, Winnebago Co., Wis., and lived there twenty-three years, and moved to Burlington, Kan., in 1875, and engaged in the grocery business and grain buying. Mr. Sanford was married in Wisconsin in 1865, to Miss Amanda M. Bowman, a native of Wisconsin, and has one child living -- Henry C. Mr. Sanford lost his wife in 1873 and was married again in 1876 to Miss Mary M. Johnson, a native of Iowa. They have two children -- Fred W. and Mable M. Mr. S. is a member of the I. O. O. F. He enlisted in 1861 in Company C, Tenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until October 5, 1864, and was in the Government employ thereafter until the close of the war.

WARREN C. SEARS was born in Greenwich, Hampshire Co., Mass., August 1, 1834. In the spring of 1854, he left the home of his childhood to seek his fortune in the West, and located in Albany, Whiteside Co., Ill., remaining there but one year. He again located at Amboy, Lee Co., Ill., where in 1857 he married Miss Nannie A. Ives, youngest daughter of Almon Ives, and there two children were born to them, a daughter, Clara, and a son, Frank W. In 1863 he removed to Jo Daviess County, Ill., where he remained nine years, the last six years of which he served as cashier of the Farmers' National Bank of Warren. In the fall of 1872 he returned to Amboy, where he remained until the spring of 1878, when he removed to Burlington, Coffey County, where he is now engaged in the drug business.

LORENZO S. SHEFAR was born in Kentucky in 1809, and lived in Kentucky about six years, and moved to Bedford County, Ohio, with his parents, remaining there thirty-seven years, and moved to Iowa, and lived in that State about sixteen years, and came to Kansas and located in Coffey County in 1865, and has lived in Burlington fourteen years, and has been engaged in boarding and hotel business. Was married in Ohio, in 1837, to Miss Catherine Messick. They have eight children -- Peter, Jane, Martin, Nancy, Joseph, Harry, John and Frank. Mr. Shefar was married again in Burlington, in 1873, to Clarissa Messick, a native of Iowa, and have one child, Clarence B.

A. C. SIMS was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., in 1844, and lived in that State until 1867, and moved to Kansas and located in Garnet, and lived at several points in Kansas, and located in Burlington in 1880, and engaged in the harness business. Mr. Sims was married in Anderson County, Kan., in 1873, to Miss Elinora Knouff, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Leoto and Bvom. Mr. Sims is a member of I. O. O. F. and Knights of Pythias, and is also a member of the Presbyterian Church.

CHARLIE N. SINCLAIR was born in Hillsborough, Ohio, in 1855, and lived in his native State twenty-one years, and came to Kansas in 1876, and located at Burlington, and has been engaged in contracting, building and carpenter business. He was married in Burlington, January 18, 1882, to Miss Charlotta L. Puffer, a native of Wisconsin. Mr. Sinclair is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Burlington.

C. E. SISSON, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in New York, Ontario County, in 1851. In 1876 moved to Texas; in 1878 moved to Kansas, located near Burlington. He is foreman for Taylor Bros., importers of and dealers in fine blooded stock sheep, cattle and hogs. Mr. Sisson is a very enterprising young man.

H. K. STIMSON was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., October 4, 1804, and lived in that State fifty-four years, then moved to Michigan, and was settled as Pastor of a church in Adrian, Mich., three years, and lived three years in Wisconsin. Mr. Stimson came to Kansas in 1864, and located at Humboldt, and lived there one year, and moved to Ottawa in 1866, and remained three years. He came to Burlington in 1868, and has lived there since. Mr. Stimson organized a company in 1861, and joined the Ninth New York Cavalry, and was Captain of Company A, and had command of the First Battalion; in 1863 was disabled, and came to Kansas and was appointed Purveyor in the service. He has been Pastor of the Baptist Church of Humboldt, Ottawa and Burlington, and has written the book entitled "From the State Coach to the Pulpit; or the Adventures of H. K. Stimson."

CASPAR STOFFELS, veterinary surgeon, was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1844, and lived in his native country twenty-three years. He came to the United States in 1868, and located in Freeport, Ill., and lived there eleven years; then coming to Kansas, he located in Burlington, in 1878. Mr. Stoffels is a veterinary surgeon, and is engaged in the practice of his profession in Burlington, and is also engaged in the cigar and tobacco business, and is agent for the Lloyd North German Steamship Company. He is a member of the Catholic Church.

ESDRAS SWAN, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in Ohio, in 1826; lived there twenty-five years, then moved to Iowa, located in Davis County, lived there until 1874; he then came to Kansas, located near Burlington, and is engaged in stock-raising and farming. Was married in Ohio, in 1848, to Miss Eliza Stewart, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children -- Aronda, Silas and Mary.

SILAS R. SWAN was born in Davis County, Iowa, and lived in his native State twenty-one years, and moved to Burlington, Coffey County, in 1874, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine for three years. Was educated in medicine in the St. Louis Medical College, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1879, and commenced the practice of his profession in Burlington. Dr. Swan was married in Burlington, in 1880, to Miss Lizzie Cross, a native of Indiana. Dr. Swan is Coroner for Coffey County, and is Medical Examiner for the Mutual Insurance Company, of New York.

DR. J. J. THOMPSON was born in Bradford County, Penn., in 1834, and at two years of age his parents moved to Lee County, Ill., and lived there fifteen years, then moved to Whiteside County, Ill., and remained there until 1855; he then came to Kansas, and stopped in Leavenworth City a short time, and crossed the plains to Salt Lake City, and remained there three years, and returned to Illinois in 1858, and remained one year, and came to Kansas again in 1859, and crossed the plains to Pike's Peak, and remained there one year, and returned to Illinois in 1860, and in 1861 enlisted in the Sixty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served six months, and then re-enlisted in the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, and served with that regiment until the close of the war; was promoted to assistant surgeon of the regiment. After the close of the war he went to Old Mexico, and remained there three years, and removed to Texas, and remained in that State three years, and came to Kansas and located in Parsons, and engaged in the practice of medicine, and practiced in Montana, Columbus and Humbolt for several years, and came to Burlington in 1880, and engaged in the practice of medicine. Dr. Thompson was married in Anderson County, Kan., in 1881, to Miss Azilla, a native of New York. They have one child -- Anna L. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

JOB THROCKMORTON, farmer and stock raiser, about one and one-half miles from Burlington. Mr. Throckmorton came to Kansas in 1857 and located in Coffey County, and has lived in the county since. He was born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1834, and lived in his native State till 1857, when he came to Kansas. He was married in Miami County, Ohio, to Miss Catherine C. White, a native of Ohio, and have six children: Sarah A., Luella F., George, Charles F., Mary A. and Eva J. Mr. Throckmorton was County Trustee under the Territorial Government, and has served two terms in the State Legislature; also has been County Commissioner and County Clerk for four years, and is now a candidate on the Republican ticket for the Legislature. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Is extensively engaged in raising a good stock of cattle and hogs.

JAMES P. TYSON was born in Canada in 1848, and lived in his native country until 1873 and moved to Emmetsburg, Iowa, and lived there about eight years, and then came to Kansas and located at Burlington and engaged in the milling business in the Burlington City Mills. Mr. Tyson was married in Canada, in 1871, to Miss Maria Pierce, a native of Canada. They have three children: Mary E., Jane A. and Charles H. Mr. Tyson is a member of the Episcopal Church. Milton C. Tyson was born in Canada in 1844, and remained there till 1872 and moved to Iowa, and lived in Iowa ten years and moved to Burlington, Kansas, and engaged in the milling business with his brothers.

DR. WILLIAM M. VENARD, physician, was educated in Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1858; also graduated from the Columbus Medical College in the class of 1878. Dr. Venard located in the practice of his profession in Shelby County, Ohio, in 1860, and practiced there till 1870 and removed to Kansas and located in Burlington, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession there since. Dr. Venard was born in Warren County, Ohio, November 4, 1829, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He was married in Shelby County, Ohio, in 1862, to Miss Elnora McGennis, a native of Ohio, and has one child, Carrie. Dr. Venard has built up a good practice and is highly respected in his profession.

PHILIP K. WADHAMS was born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1830, and lived in his native State about six years and moved with his parents to Knoxville, Tenn., and remained there about fourteen months, and moved to Illinois, and lived in that State about twenty years and removed to Nebraska in 1859, and lived in that State five years and returned to Illinois in 1864, and remained there five years and came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, and located at Burlington, Coffey County, where he now lives. He was married in La Salle County, Ill., in 1865, to Miss Mary A. Metcalf, a native of Illinois. They have three children: Philip E., Eugene O. and Guy M. Mr. Wadhams has been Superintendent of Public Instruction for Coffey County two and one-half years, and Trustee of his township three years, and has been assistant Postmaster for four years. He is a member of the United Workmen Society and has been a member of the Congregational Church for fourteen years.

WILLIAM WAGNER was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1850, and when he was quite a small boy, his parents moved to Indiana, and located in Brown County, and lived there seven years, and came to Kansas in 1871, and located in Burlington. Mr. Wagner was married in Burlington, in 1875, to Miss Rose German, a native of New York; they have two children -- William Y., and Mary. Mr. Wagner is a member of the Catholic Church.

J. A. WALKLING was born on Long Island, N. Y., in 1835, and lived in his native State seven years, and moved with his parents to La Fayette, Ind., in 1842, and lived there one year, and removed to Beloit, Wis., and remained there eight years, and removed to St. Louis, and lived there till 1857, and came to Kansas, and located in Burlington. Mr. Walkling was married in Burlington, in 1865, to Miss Mary McAllister, a native of Philadelphia. They have three children -- Francis A., Eugene L. and Mary E. Has been Register of Deeds of Coffey County four years and Postmaster six years, and has been in his present position as Justice of the Peace for four years.

A. P. WATERBURY was born in Jefferson County, Wis., in 1845, and lived in his native State eighteen years, and moved to Minnesota, and lived in that State about one year, and enlisted in the First Minnesota Veteran Regiment, and served five months and was mustered out at the close of the war, and located in DeKalb County, Mo., in 1865, and remained there till 1873, and came to Kansas and located in Burlington and remained one year, and moved to Nevada and lived in that State four years, and went to Arizona, and was there nine months and returned to Nevada, and remained one year and moved to Montana, and remained there a short time and moved to Colorado, and was there eleven months and returned to Kansas and has been in Burlington since, and engaged in the hardware and stove business. Mr. Waterbury was married in DeKalb County, Mo., in 1880, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Grand Army of the Republic. While in the mountains, was engaged in mining and milling.

JOHN E. WATROUS was born in Dane County, Wis., in 1844, and lived there until 1857; came to Kansas with his parents and located in Coffey County; was married in Burlington in 1869, to Miss Florence L. Smith, a native of Indiana; they have two children -- Lester D., and Paul B. Mr. Watrous enlisted in the army in 1863, in Company L, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, and served with that regiment during the war, and was mustered out in October, 1865; he is editor and proprietor of the Burlington Independent, which was established in 1874. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

G. C. WATTLES was born in Erie County, Pa., and lived in his native State thirteen years, and moved to Earlville, Ill., thence to Amboy, Ill., and lived in that State until he came to Kansas, in 1878, and located at Burlington in the drug business. Mr. Wattles was married in Amboy, Ill., to Miss Netta A. Haskell, in 1875, a native of Canton, Ill., and has one child -- William C. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and Kansas Pharmaceutical Association.

J. E. WEAVER was born in Shenandoah Valley, Va., in 1838, and lived in his native State eight years, and moved with his parents to Allen County, Ohio, and lived in that State until 1870, and came to Kansas and located in Butler County, and remained there till the spring of 1871, and moved to Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the stock business, and farming, and engaged in the livery business in the spring of 1882. Mr. Weaver was married in Allen County, Ohio, in 1862, to Miss Isetti M. Field, a native of New York; they have four children -- Samuel D., Lizzie M., Anna D. and Jane. Mr. Weaver is a member of the United Workmen.

J. J. WEIGAND, blacksmith, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1841, and lived in his native State fourteen years, and moved to Brown County, Ill., and remained there until 1870, when he moved to Kansas and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the blacksmith business. Mr. Weigand was married in Illinois, in 1866, to Miss Sarah Wagner, a native of Ohio. They have six children -- Helen A., Charles F., James J., Elizabeth, Mary, and Gregory J. Mr. Weigand enlisted in 1862, in Company D One Hundred and Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the 25th of July, 1865, and was wounded at Fort Blakeley, Ala., in 1865, and was discharged on account of canister shot in the left thigh.

JOHN H. WHISTLER (deceased), was born in Chicago in 1808, and was the first white child born within the present limits of the city; went to Kansas in 1847, and traded with the Pottawatomie and Sac and Fox Indians until 1857, when he removed to Burlington. He was in Detroit, Mich., at the time of the Chicago massacre, and was a part and parcel of Hull's surrender. His father was Col. William Whistler, who was commissioned as Ensign in the United States Army in 1801. In 1803, when a Second Lieutenant, he was married. He was made prisoner of war at Hull's surrender, and taken to Montreal, and soon afterwards exchanged. He died at Newport, Ky., December 3, 1863, with the rank of Colonel, which position he had held for many years. His age at the time of his death was eighty-four years. His widow died at New port, Ky., February 12, 1879, aged ninety-one years.

T. J. WIDBY, lawyer, has been in practice since June, 1879. He completed his course of study at the Union College of Law, at Chicago, Ill., in that year, and came to Burlington and engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. Widby was born in Pike County, Ill., in 1852, and lived in his native State until 1879, when he came to Kansas. He was married in Burlington, in September, 1881, to Miss Josie Rankin, a native of Kansas. He is chairman of the Republican County Central Committee, and is City Attorney for Burlington, and is a member of the Masonic Order.

THOMAS L. WILLIAMS, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in Indiana in 1840, lived there twelve years; he then moved to Missouri, lived there two years; then moved to Kansas; then moved to California in 1859, and remained there till 1863. He then returned to Kansas, stayed there a short time, then moved to Missouri, and remained there one year. In 1866 he came back to Kansas, located in Coffey County, and has lived there since. He was married in Indiana, in 1864, to Miss Sarah E. McCombs. They have five children -- Frank, William, Mary, Peter, and John. He is a member of the Christian Church.

W. J. WILSON was born in Ireland, in 1843, and lived in his native country twenty-two years, and removed to the United States and located in New York, and lived there about two years and moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and remained there three years, and came to Leavenworth, Kan., and lived there eight years, and then removed to Burlington, Coffey County, and has lived there five years engaged in the dry goods business, and has been in that business since in his present location. He was married in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1866, to Miss Luticia McGee, a native of New York; they have four children - William E., Emma L., Fred R. and George W. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Masonic order and also of the Methodist Church.

A. L. WOODFORD was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1847, and lived in his native State nineteen years, and moved to Whiteside County, Ill., in 1866, and in the spring of 1870 he came to Kansas and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the grocery business in 1873, and has since been engaged in that business. Mr. Woodford was married in Baldwin City, Kas., in 1871, to Miss Sarah Smith, a native of Missouri. They have four children -- Elma, Grace, Ralph, and Robert. Mr. Woodford is a member of the Odd Fellows Society, and is Chairman of the Democratic County Committee; is a member of the Congregational Church, and has been Superintendent of the Sabbath-school of his church since 1861.

JAMES E. WOODFORD was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1845, and lived in his native State until 1866, and moved to Sterling, Ill., and lived in that State ten years, and in the spring of 1876 came to Kansas and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the grocery business. Mr. Woodford was married in Sterling, Ill., in 1872, to Miss Ella M. Pettegrew, a native of Illinois. They have three children -- Florence, Oliver, and James. Mr. Woodford is a prominent business man in Burlington. At present he is Mayor of the city.

[TOC] [part 10] [part 8] [Cutler's History]