|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The land upon which Le Roy now stands was pre-empted, or rather claimed, by John B. Scott and Frederick Troxel. The latter sold his interest to Thomas Crabtree, and when Richard Burr arrived from California in 1856, he purchased a third interest in the town site. A Mr. Holcomb made the survey in 1857. The first frame house on the town site was built by Thomas Crabtree and Isaac Chatham, in the fall of 1855. It stood north of where the Le Roy steam mill is now. The frame consisted of straight, young, hewn walnut trees, and the shingles and weather boards were riven out of logs of the same timber and shaved smooth. This house was afterward moved to where Mr. Crabtree lives now, but before the wheels were taken from under it some (sic) one borrowed it to secure a claim, and it did service for a while in that capacity for different claimants, until it was finally peacefully deposited on Mr. Crabtree's farm. John B. Scott kept the first postoffice (sic) and a country store in a log house on the Wilkinson farm. He was also the first Justice of the Peace in the county, having received his commission in 1855. In 1857 Jerome A. and P. H. Smith opened a store in a double log house on the lot south of Mr. A. McConnell's present residence. The same year two saw-mills were put up, one by Futhey, Harvey & Co., on the present site of the Neosho Valley Steam Mills, and one by Smith & Murden, south of Sixth street, close to Mr. R. C. Wood's farm. A great strife was inaugurated between these two rival companies as to who would be first in having their mill running. The whole settlement became interested and took sides, one way or another, and considerable betting was done on the issue of the strife, the main commodity being whisky. Futhey, David Hosick and the Herdy brothers finally carried off the palm and won the bet by running the first log on the gangway and sawing off the first slab by daylight on the 5th of November, 1857. The flour mill, on a small scale, was attached in 1859, and the following year the main building was put up. The town now began to improve rapidly. The first frame house constructed out of sawed lumber was that of Mr. Ringle, which is still standing. A two-story hotel was built in 1859, by a Mr. Fisk, on the lot east of Mr. Ahlefield's present residence, but it was destroyed by a gale in 1860. The present hotel was built in 1858 by Mr. McLaughlin, and was finished the following year by Elisha Amsden. In 1859, a substantial schoolhouse was erected, the largest and best in the county for a number of years, until the present fine two-story schoolhouse was completed in 1869. Dr. Geo. W. Nelson built the first brick house in 1859, the brick being burned by John Cottingham. Le Roy kept steadily growing, and was the largest and most prosperous town in the county until 1870, when Burlington jumped ahead and left her.
NEWSPAPERS, CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES.
October 20, 1866, the first number of the Le Roy Pioneer appeared, under the management of William J. Kent and William Higgins; William J. Kent, editor. January 26, 1867, Mr. Kent withdrew and was succeeded by Lucas Everett, and the paper was then retired and was succeeded by Thomas H. Graham. The firm name was then Higgins & Graham, until October 14, 1867, when Mr. Graham retired and was succeeded by J. Higgins. The Higgins brothers continued the publication of the paper until May, 1868, when it was suspended, and during the following summer the office was removed to Neosho Falls. October 30, 1869, J. R. Jennings started a paper at Le Roy, which he named Le Roy Pioneer, because the electrotyped heading of the defunct paper was found in the city and appropriated by him for his paper, for economy's sake. His paper lived only till January, 1870. The Southern Kansas Advocate was started at Le Roy in May, 1870, by C. H. Goodrich and Robert Waddell, who issued the paper until November 1, 1870, when it was discontinued. All of the foregoing papers were republican in politics. R. F. Eagle published the Le Roy Index for about one year between the years 1872 and 1878. The first number of the Le Roy Reporter appeared December 26, 1879, Lankton & Clark, publishers. January 23, 1880, those gentlemen retired and were succeeded by B. Frank Smythe, who published it until May 15, 1880, when Frank Fockele became a partner, the firm name being Smythe & Fockele. September 17, 1881, Mr. Smythe retired and the paper has since been published by Frank Fockele. Independent in politics, Le Roy has a population of about 900, and is a thrifty, promising town.
The First Presbyterian Church of Le Roy was organized August 20, 1870. Its first pastor was Rev. John Creath; it has no pastor now. The number of members since the organization of the church have been 16. The present number of members, 12. It owns no church property.
Methodist Episcopal Church. -- The first sermon preached at Le Roy was by Rev. Benoni Wheat, a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at 3 P. M. June 14, 1857, in an unfinished building intended for a hotel. The first conference preacher sent to take charge of Le Roy circuit was Rev. M. M. Haun, early in the spring of 1858. He remained in charge for two years, preaching at many points for miles around. September 10,1866, a church building was dedicated in Le Roy for the Methodists by Rev. Z. Paddock, of Lawrence, Kan. The church enterprise began in 1862. In 1868 a parsonage was erected at a cost of $700, through the efforts of Rev. J. H. Leard, then pastor. The church was organized in 1858. Present pastor, Rev. H. J. Walker.
Prairie Lodge, No. 39, I. O. O. F. -- Chartered December 3, 1868, by the Grand Lodge of Kansas. Charter members: George W. Anderson, D. J. Dibble, Ahijah Jones, A. R. Quigg, R. B. Southard, W. F. Thornbury. First officers: Geo. W. Anderson, N. G.; A. R. Quigg, V. G.; A. Jones, R. S. Present officers: William C. Rollins, N. G.; Frank Fockele, V. G.; I. T. Ozburn, Sec.; E. Robinson, Treas.; J. K. Snodgrass, Warden; J. A. Scroggs, conductor; A. Burger, I. G.; John Brutchen, R. S. to N. G.; H. W. Smart, L. S. to N. G.; T. B. Robinson, R. S. to V. G.; T. J. Cottingham, L. S. to V. G. Present number of members in good standing, 49.
Le Roy Lodge, No. 2820, K. of H. -- Organized August 29, 1882, with the following officers: H. J. Walker, past dictator; J. A. Scroggs, dictator; I. T. Ozburn, vice dictator; H. W. Smart, asst. dictator; Frank Fockele, reporter; G. W. Robinson, financial Rep.; E. Robinson, Treas.; A. Heininger, Chap.; J. R. Snodgrass, guide; Henry C. Kennedy, guardian; Charles McQuaid, Med. Ex.; J. M. Quiggle, Frank Fockele, Chas. McQuaid, trustees. Number of members, 26.
Neosho Lodge, No. 27, A. F. & A. M. -- (Le Roy.) -- Organized in April, 1859, under dispensation, and chartered by the Grand Lodge of Kansas the same year. First officers: A. F. Wilkinson, W. M.; J. A. Stewart, S. W.; George W. Nelson, J. W. Present officers: J. A. Stewart, W. M.; Levi Knox, S. W.; Thomas Crabtree, J. W.; E. Robinson, secretary; J. G. Schlatter, treasurer; Joseph Holloway, S. D.; Jacob Ahlefeldt, J. D.; Butler Wood, tiler; Joseph Robinson, chaplain. Number of members, twenty-two.
HENRY R. BALDWIN was born at Lake Mahopac, Putnam Co., N. Y., on the 27th of August, 1837. Remained there until he was twenty-two years old. He then went to Ohio and was married to Miss Mattie H. Palm, who lived in Mansfield, Richland Co., Ohio. They then went to his farm in Medina Co., Ohio, where he continued in the farming business for ten years. Sold his farm and went to Kansas; located in Woodson County. After remaining there two years he sold his farm of 320 acres and purchased another three and one-half miles north of Le Roy, where he engaged in raising graded stock. They have one child -- Laura L. V. Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin came to Le Roy in 1870 and is a prominent citizen of that section of country.
J. H. BRUSCHIN was born in Germany in 1834, and lived in his native country twenty years, and came to the United States and located in Ohio in 1854, and remained there five months, and moved to Iowa and lived there about one year, and moved to Chicago and lived there one year, and came to Kansas in 1857 and located in Le Roy, and has been engaged in the shoe business since, excepting six years that he was engaged in farming. Mr. Bruschin was married in Le Roy, in 1861, to Margaret A. Dickerson, a native of Canada. They have seven children -- Anna, Charles, Lena, John, Lotta, Orliff and Bessie. Mr. Bruschin was Mayor of Le Roy for four years, and is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows societies, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DR. ALFRED V. COFFIN was born in Guilford County, N. C., in 1819. Entered as a tanner's apprentice from 1838 to 1841, and lived in that state until 1853 and then moved to Pickens County, Ala., remaining there a short time, removed to Hendricks County, Ind., and resided there till January, 1868, when being appointed Directing Physician for the Southern Indian Superintendency came to Kansas and filled that position for two years and then located at Le Roy, Coffey County, and resumed the general practice of his profession, which he has continued down to this time, except serving as Representative in the Legislature of Kansas, term of 1866. Dr. Coffin received his medical education at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1842-3. He was by intuition an uncompromising enemy to human slavery, whether physical or mental, and at great personal hazard and physical effort during 1851-2 aided thirty- two slaves, including one young woman, to reach Canada. He was married in Randolph County, N. C., to Miss Mary E. Johnson, a native of that county, June, 1847, by whom he has two daughters -- Luella C. Albertson, of Hendricks County, Ind., and Olma C. Smith, of Anderson County, Kansas. He was married again November, 1863, to Miss M. F. Randell, a native of Illinois; they have two children -- M. Estella and Alfred Velano. The doctor is a thorough liberal in religion -- 'freedom for all and privilege for none,' and to all the dogmas of orthodox Christianity utterly infidel, and a life member of the Greenback party.
E. E. COFFIN was born in Parke County, Ind., in 1836, and lived in his native State twenty-five years, and moved to Kansas in 1862, and located in Le Roy, Coffey County, and has been engaged in the stock business. He was married in Le Roy, Coffey County, in 1864, to Miss Mary Smith, a native of Chautauqua County, N. Y. They have two children -- Sybil and Dewey. Mr. Coffin lost his wife in December, 1871, and married again in Niles, Mich., in 1873, to Miss Kate Smith, a native of New York; they have three children -- Jessie, Max and Carl; he has been a Representative in the State Legislature for two terms, and has been three times Mayor of Le Roy, and Town Treasurer, and is a member of the Masonic Order, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Knights of Pythias, and is a member of the Society of Friends.
L. C. COTTINGHAM, farmer, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Illinois, in 1844, he came to Kansas in 1877, he located at Le Roy, is engaged at farming and stock-raising; was married at Le Roy, in 1871, to Miss Mary E. Woster, of Illinois; have five children -- John, Ollie, Lulu, Lee and Millie; is one of the early settlers of Kansas.
JOSEPH M. DRAPER was born in McLean County, Ill., in 1846, and lived in his native State until 1856, and came to Kansas, and on account of the border ruffian war, went back to Illinois and remained there until 1857, and returned to Kansas, and located near Le Roy, in Coffey County. Prior to 1870 he was engaged in farming, and in 1870 engaged in merchandising in Le Roy. Mr. Draper is a member of the firm of Hoseck & Draper; he is one of the oldest settlers of his town and county.
LEE L. ELLIOTT, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1854, and lived in his native State about five years and moved to Clinton, Henry Co., Mo., in 1859, and remained there one year and came to Kansas in the fall of 1868, and located in Coffey County, and has lived in that county since, excepting five years he spent in Texas, and has been in the grocery business in Le Roy about four years, and is also engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mr. Elliott is a member of the Masonic Order and I. O. O. F.
FRANK FOCKELE, born in Prussia, Germany, in 1843, came to the United States in 1864. Being principally engaged in teaching, he resided successively in Illinois, Canada, Ohio and Missouri, and moved to Kansas in 1871. After a short residence in Burlington, he came to Le Roy, Coffey County, where he has been permanently located ever since. After teaching three terms, he engaged in business, and in 1880, he formed a co-partnership in the printing and real estate business with B. F. Smythe, then editor of the Le Roy Reporter. In 1881 he bought out his partner's interest and is now sole proprietor of the above named paper. F. Fockele was married in 1868 to Miss Mary Morrisey, a native of Vermont, by whom he has three children -- Blanche, Frederick and Frank. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and Knights of Honor, Treasurer of the city of Le Roy, Clerk of the School District Board, agent for the Home Insurance Company of New York, and Springfield F. & M. Insurance Company of Springfield, Mass., also agent for the North German Lloyd Steamship Company.
JOHN W. HANEY, farmer, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Dane County, Wis., in 1843, and lived there until he was eleven years of age. Then moved to Andrew County, Mo., living there one winter, and attended school. Went to Leavenworth and remained there the winters of 1854 and '55, and in the spring located at Lawrence, remaining there one year. In 1849 his father and a party of men, while crossing the plains on their way to California, were surrounded by 600 Indians, who demanded the surrender of one of the company, William Jinks, of Kentucky, for the murder of a squaw, for which crime they skinned him alive. His father was Deputy United States Marshal, and during that fall nine men came to his house and broke the door in, and he killed the leader, and the balance of them ran away. In the spring of 1857 he moved to Ottawa, and remained there a short time; then moved to Coffey County and located in Le Roy Township. In May, 1858, his father was killed by a Pro-slavery man. His father was a Free-state man. Mr. Haney was married in Le Roy, in 1872, to Miss Maria Lock, a native of Illinois. They have two children, John T. and Hattie H. He has been a Township Trustee. Is a member of the Masonic order. Enlisted in the Thirteenth Illinois Infantry, serving three months; then went to Wisconsin and enlisted in the Third Wisconsin Infantry, and served until the close of the war.
ISAAC HEMPY, farmer, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Ohio, in 1831, and in 1860 went to California, in 1866 returned to Ohio, and in 1880 came to Kansas and located on a farm in Le Roy Township, Coffey County. He was married in Ohio, in 1856, to Miss Ann E. Smart, a native of Ohio. They have four children -- Maggie L., Thomas G., Wilber J. and Tena M. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. While in California Mr. Hempy was engaged in mining.
DAVID C. HOSICK was born in West Virginia, in 1832, and lived in his native State twenty years, and moved to Marshall County, Ill., and lived there five years, and came to Kansas in 1857, and located at Le Roy, Coffey County. Mr. Hosick first engaged in the milling business in Le Roy, and was one of the company that built the steam mill at that place, and has been for fifteen years engaged in the mercantile business, and is the leading merchant in the dry goods business in Le Roy. He was engaged in farming for about four years. Mr. Hosick is a single man, and has been identified with the Republican party since its organization.
W. C. HOSICK was born in West Virginia, in 1850, and in 1857 came to Kansas and located in Leavenworth; lived there from 1857 to 1878. In 1878 went to Texas, and remained a short time, and returned, and in 1874 located in Le Roy, Coffey County, in the grocery business. Mr. Hosick was married in Le Roy, in 1875, to Miss Belle Baldwin, a native of New York. They have two children, Lee and James. Is a member of the Masonic Order, and has held several positions of trust in the community.
AHIJAH JONES was born in Verona, Oneida Co., N. Y., March 1, 1805, and lived there until 1849, then went to California and remained there nearly five years, and returned to New York and staid (sic) there four months; and then removed to Kansas in the fall of 1854 and located in Coffey County, and has been a resident of Le Roy for twenty-one years. Was married in February, 1829, in Oneida County, to Miss Mary Lillybridge, a native of Connecticut, and has one child living, George C., in California. Was married again in 1862 to Miss Sarah Funk, a native of Illinois. He has held the office of County Clerk, Clerk of District Court, and has been Justice of the Peace for eighteen years.
HENRY MARTIN was born in Norway, in 1845, and lived in his native country twenty-two years, and came to the United States in 1858, and located in Wisconsin, and lived there two years, and moved to Iowa, and lived in that State nine years, and came to Kansas in 1879, and located at Le Roy, Coffey County, and engaged in farming and railroad contracting, and is now engaged in dealing in farm machinery and wagons. Mr. Martin was married in Norway, in 1868, to Miss Pemell E. Larson, a native of Norway. They have five children -- Ludwick, Barnett, Albert, Lena and Henry. He is a member of the Masonic Order and of the Lutheran Church.
D. MILLER was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., in 1837, and lived in his native State eighteen years, and traveled in the Western States three years, and located in Kansas in 1857, at Le Roy, Coffey County, and from 1857 to 1861, engaged in the milling business, and in 1861 enlisted in Company G, Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, and served with that regiment three years and a half. Mr. Miller was promoted from a private to the Second Lieutenancy of his company. At the close of the war he returned to Le Roy, and engaged in milling until 1878, and was elected Sheriff of Coffey County, and served four years. During that time he lived in Burlington, and has since been engaged in the milling business in Le Roy, and is also engaged in farming. Mr. Miller was married in 1866, to Miss P. F. Garner, and have two children -- Maude A. and Nora B. Mr. Miller was County Commissioner for four years, and Mayor of Le Roy. Is a member of the Masonic Order, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
JACOB MILLISON was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., in 1844, and lived in his native State twenty-one years, and moved to Owen County, Ind., and lived there four years, and came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Middletown, Wilson County, and lived there eleven years, and moved to Le Roy, Coffey County, in 1881, and engaged in merchandising and hotel business, under the firm name of Plumerfield & Millison, and keeps the Commercial Hotel. He was married in Pennsylvania, in 1866, to Miss Mary N. Ruff, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children -- Orin and Ency. Was Postmaster two years at Middletown.
ALFRED McCONNELL was born in Essex County, New Jersey, near Newton, and lived in his native State twenty-six years, and moved to Coffey County, Kan., and located at Le Roy in 1857, and has lived there since, and was engaged in the milling business from 1858 to 1874, and then engaged in farming and stock-raising, and is now in that business. Mr. McConnell was married in Coffey County, in 1860, to Miss Mary Holmes, a native of New York. They have two children -- Bertha and William L. He is identified with the Democratic party, and is a large farmer and stock-grower in Coffey County.
JOSEPH McMURTRY was born in Kentucky in 1844, and lived there about six years, and moved with his parents to Missouri, and remained there a short time, and came to Kansas in 1854, and located at Chetopa, and lived there from 1854 to 1862, and came to Le Roy, Coffey County, and has been engaged in the milling business about twelve years. Was two years a teamster under Col. Prouty, during the war. Mr. McMurtry was married in Le Roy, in 1876, to Miss Sarah Ringle, a native of Iowa. They have one child -- D. Jessie. Mr. McMurtry is a member of the I. O. O. F.
DR. CHARLES McQUAID, was born in Scotland in 1849, and moved to the United States with his parents when quite small and located in Chicago, until he came to Kansas in 1872, and located in Le Roy, Coffey County, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine since, and has been in the drug business about seven years. Dr. McQuaid was educated in medicine at the Chicago Medical College, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1872. He was married in Burlington in 1873, to Miss Emma Kerr, a native of Indiana, and have one child -- Will. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and Order of Odd Fellows, and Knights of Honor. Dr. McQuaid has been in the practice of his profession for twelve years, and for ten years in Coffey County.
EDWIN MORTON, was born in Maine in 1829; went to Massachusetts in 1849. Was married to Sarah A. Beedle, a native of that State, in 1854. Went to Kansas in 1857, and settled in Avon Township, Coffey County, where he pre-empted land. Was during the war United States Detective. Moved to Le Roy in 1867 and engaged in liquor business, in which he remained fourteen years, since which has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. Was elected Councilman of the city of Le Roy, May, 1873, and served one year; was elected again to the same position in 1882, and is serving at the present time. The names of children are -- Edwin F., William A., Mary E., Clara and Charles G.
ROLLIN NORTON, was born in Connecticut in 1870, and lived in his native State four years, and moved with his parents to Ohio, and lived in that State sixteen years, and went to California in 1850, and returned to Ohio in 1860, and remained there a short time, and came to Kansas in the spring of 1861, and located in Le Roy, and has been engaged in the milling business. Mr. Norton was married in Ohio in 1861 to Annette Sherman, a native of Ohio, and has three children -- Minnie, Daisy and Paul. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Captain Orliff Norton, brother of Rollin Norton, was killed in the Price raid in 1865, at Bentonville, Ark. He was Captain of Company L, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry.
ISAAC T. OZBURN, was born in Perry County, Ala., in 1839, and lived in his native State ten years, and moved to Tishamingo County, Miss., and lived there seven years, and in 1856 moved to Kansas and located in Greenwood County, and lived there six years, and moved to Le Roy, Coffey Co., Kan., and has lived there since and engaged in the carpenter and cabinet business. In 1870 he engaged in the livery business, and is now in that business. Mr. Ozburn was married in Missouri in 1859, to Miss Susan Tibbitts, a native of Indiana. They have three children -- Amanda F., Thomas W. H., and Rhonda E. He has been a member of the City Council of Le Roy, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Knights of Honor.
J. M. QUIGGLE, was born in Pennsylvania in 1839, and lived in his native State seven years; moved to Fulton County, Ill; lived in that State thirteen years; came to Kansas in 1858 and located in Le Roy. Mr. Quiggle enlisted in the army in 1862, in Company F, Twelfth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and served with that regiment until the close of the war, when he returned to Le Roy, and has been engaged in the harness business since. He was married in Le Roy in 1868, to Miss Elizabeth Chambers, a native of Indiana. They have two children -- William D. and Eva M. Mr. Quiggle is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Knights of Honor.
ELIJAH ROBINSON, was born in Montreal, Canada, in 1832, and lived in Canada seven years. Moved to Pickaway County, Ohio, and lived there until 1860, and came to Kansas and located in Le Roy. He was married in Le Roy in 1861 to Miss Jane Garner, a native of Kentucky. They have three children -- Eddie E., Mattie J. and Bessie L. Mr. Robinson engaged in mercantile business in January, 1861, and has been in business in Le Roy since, and is a member of the firm of E. Robinson & Bros. Mr. Robinson was Postmaster of Le Roy for eight years, and was Assistant Adjutant with rank of Lieutenant Colonel, in organizing the State militia, and has been County Commissioner for four years, and Mayor of Le Roy. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., A., F. & A. M., and K. of H.
DR. G. W. ROBINSON, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Pickaway, Ohio, in 1850, and at eleven years of age his parents came to Kansas in 1861, and located near Le Roy. He was educated in medicine at the Chicago Medical College, and graduated from that institution in 1879, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession since in Le Roy. His father, John Robinson, was born in Ireland in 1801, and moved to Canada in 1818; remained there until 1838, then moved to Ohio, and lived there twenty-three years. In 1861 came to Kansas, and located near Le Roy. He was married in Canada in 1827 to Miss Mary M. Williams. They have ten children -- Samuel L., Joseph, Elijah, Josiah, Rebecca, John W., Joshua, Albert R., George W., and Thomas B. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother was born in 1810, and is now living with Dr. G. W. Robinson.
D. B. ROWE, was born in Jefferson County, Mo., January 1855, and lived in his native State until the fall of 1869, and came to Kansas, and located near Osawatomie and lived there a few years, then returned to Rolla, Mo., and engaged in the drug business; remained there one year and came to Kansas, and located in Le Roy, Coffey County in April, 1881, and engaged in the drug business. Mr. Rowe was married in Miami County, Kansas, in March, 1881, to Miss Maud Smith, a native of Kansas. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was formerly engaged in teaching and his wife is now engaged in teaching in Le Roy.
J. G. SCHLATTER, was born in Germany in 1833, and when an infant his parents moved to the United States, and located in Crawford County, Ohio, in 1833, and lived in that State until 1855, and moved to Iowa, and lived thirteen years in that State, and came to Kansas in 1866, and located in Le Roy, Coffey County, and has been engaged in the carpenter and joiner business, and for three years past has been in the lumber business in Le Roy. Mr. Schlatter was married in Iowa, in 1859, to Miss Euphemia Kniffin, a native of Canada. They have four children -- George W., Alva, Silva, and Francis. He is a member of the Masonic order, and of the Lutheran Church.
J. A. SCROGGS was born in Beaver County, Penn., in 1834, and lived in his native State until 1856, and traveled in the Western and Southern States one year, and located in Elkhart County, Indiana, in the fall of 1857, and remained in that State until 1869, and moved to Topeka, Kan., and lived there until the spring of 1871, and moved to Paoli, Miami County, and lived there until January, 1880, and came to Le Roy, Coffey County, and engaged in the undertaking and furniture business. Mr. Scroggs was married in Indiana in 1863, to Miss Mary E. Martin, a native of Indiana, and have two children -- Ralph M. and Mabel L. Mr. Scroggs is a member of the Odd Fellows Society and the Knights of Honor.
CHRISTIAN SNYDER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, in 1827. Went to California in 1850, returned in 1853; went to Iowa the same year. He was married to Miss Nancy McMahan, a native of Meigs County, Ohio, in 1854. Emigrated to Le Roy Township in 1858. They have had ten children, all are living but one -- Henry J., Joseph W., William A., John H., George E., Addie, Ella, Charles E., Freddie R. (dead), and Arthur C.
JAMES A. STEWART, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, in 1828, and lived in his native State two years, and moved with his parents to Pennsylvania, and lived in that State twenty years, and moved to Fulton County, Ill., and lived there about nine years and came to Kansas in 1858, and located in Le Roy, and engaged in blacksmithing. Was engaged in the hardware business about three years. Mr. Stewart was married in Fulton County, Ill., in 1851, to Miss Frances S. Quiggle, a native of Pennsylvania, and has three children -- Thomas M., Francis A. and Emma J. Mr. Stewart has been Township Trustee for two years and Town Treasurer, and is a member of the Masonic order and of the Baptist Church.
ELIJAH S. WADE was born in New Jersey, in 1830, and lived in his native State twenty-one years, and moved to New York City and remained there thirteen years, and came to Kansas in 1866, and located in Leavenworth, and lived there two years, and came to Le Roy, Coffey County, and has lived there since. Mr. Wade was married in New York City in 1861, to Miss Sarah E. Anderson, a native of New Jersey. They have two children -- Edward H. and William. Mr. Wade has been Town Clerk for two years and Postmaster thirteen years. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is engaged in general merchandising in Le Roy.
REV. HENRY J. WALKER was born in Preston, England, May 24, 1835. His parents removed from London to America, in 1846, settling in Dane County, Wis., where he remained until 1857. He was educated partly in London, and partly in Wisconsin, in the public schools, and acquired by dint of strenuous private effort, a fair education. On October 18, 1854, he was married to Miss. J. Wrigglesworth, a native of Sheffield, England, by whom he has the following living children -- Walter H., Clara E., Alice L., Charles J., William F., and Frederick J. On March 15, 1855, he was converted, and soon after joined the United Methodist Church, and was licensed as a local preacher by it. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church by letter, at Fulton, Wis., October 16, 1857. On May 21, 1857, he issued the first number of the Mazomanie Herald, at Mazomanie, Dane Co., Wis.; disposed of that paper and issued the first number of the Stoughton Independent, at Stoughton, Wis., on September 22d of same year. This he afterward sold, removing to Milwaukee, where he worked as a compositor on the Milwaukee Daily Times, a Douglas organ, from its first to its last issue, which were just seventeen. The next three years he spent as a photographer, moving from place to place, till he ceased his career in that direction at Council Hill Station, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., in 1861. He enlisted at Mazomanie, Wis., September 26, and mustered into Company A, Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry, December 2, 1861, and remained with the regiment till it was mustered out in August, 1865. He was a fifer for two years, and then entered the ranks as a veteran, and on July 2, 1864, was commissioned, after being elected by the regiment officers, as its Chaplain, by Gov. Lewis, of Wisconsin. He was ordained a Deacon by Bishop Ames, at Newburgh, N. Y., April 15, 1864, in order to qualify for the Chaplaincy, and ordained Elder by Bishop Scott, at Portage, Wis., in 1869. He published the Soldier's Budget, at Humboldt, Tenn., in 1862, and was local reporter of the Natchez (Miss.) Daily Courier, in the fall of 1863. He joined the West Wisconsin conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Brodhead, Wis., in September, 1865, remaining in it until 1873, having been stationed at Wauzeka, Sextonville, DeSota, Spring Green and Beetown, and served as its Assistant Secretary. He removed to Kansas, in 1873, and was transferred to the South Kansas Conference, by Bishop Merrill, and has had charge since then, of Wichita, Peabody, Wellington, Florence, Cottonwood Falls, Strawn and Le Roy. In 1876, he was elected Assistant Secretary, and in 1877-78-79, Secretary of that Conference. In 1874, he obtained a charter from the State of Kansas for the Arkansas Valley Collegiate Institute, located at Wichita, of which he was elected President of its first Board of Directors.
REV. BENONI WHEAT was born in Virginia in 1807 and lived in his native State for fifty years, and moved to Kansas in 1857, and located in Le Roy Township, and has lived in Le Roy four years. Mr. Wheat has been preaching for forty years, and preached the first sermon in this section of Kansas in connection with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Wheat was a member of the first State Legislature and assisted in organizing the State Government, and has been County Superintendent of Public Instruction and Police Judge of Le Roy. Is engaged in farming, but has retired from active labor. Mr. Wheat was married in Virginia in 1830 to Miss Rachel E. Chapman, a native of Virginia. They have eight children -- John J., Charles W., Samuel H., Henry C., Josephine, George E., Robert C., and Mary A.
ISAAC M. WOODARD, miller, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Indiana, 1848, lived there twelve years, then came to Kansas 1860, located at Atchison, lived there eight years, then moved to Topeka, lived there four years; he then came to Coffey County and located at Le Roy, and has been engaged [in] milling business as [a] member of the firm of Woodard & Norton. Was married in 1880 to Miss Estheria W. Sheppey. Is a member of the Knights of Honor, also a member of the Presbyterian Church.
JOHN M. WOOSTER, farmer, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., in 1819 and lived there until 1832, and moved to Ohio and lived there until 1841, then moved to Illinois and remained there until 1856; came to Kansas and located on a farm in Coffey County and is engaged in farming and stock- raising, and is a millwright by trade. Was married in Illinois in 1846 to Miss Marien Haugham, a native of Ohio. They have two children -- Charles and Mary. He was one of the Locating Committee of the county and is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Christian Church, and was a member of the State Militia.