KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


COFFEY COUNTY, Part 8

[TOC] [part 9] [part 7] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HAHN - MOTT).

JOHN HAHN, meat market, was born in Germany, in 1858, and lived in his native country seven years, and came to the United States with his parents and located in Decatur County, Ind., and lived in that State for seven years, and came to Kansas and located in Burlington in 1872, and engaged in the butcher business, and is now engaged in that business.

JAMES W. HALL, merchant, was born in Michigan in 1857, and lived in his native State nine years, then removed to Indiana with his parents, and remained one year, and came to Kansas in 1866, locating at Leavenworth. He lived there one year, and then moved to Kansas City and lived there one year, came to Coffey County, Kansas, and located at Le Roy, and lived there until 1874, when he came to Burlington and was engaged in railroad business. Mr. Hall was married in Burlington, November 2, 1882, to Miss Adelia Brown, a native of Wisconsin.

REV. JOEL HARPER was born in Plymouth, England, in 1842, and lived in his native country until October, 1881, and came to the United States and located at Burlington, Kansas, in charge of the Congregational Church of that place, and has been the Pastor of that church since. Mr. Harper was educated in the Plymouth public schools and in the Western Congregational College, in England, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1876. He was been engaged in the ministry about twelve years in connection with the Congregational Church, and served his last congregation at Ivy Bridge, near Plymouth for eight years. He was married in Plymouth, England, in 1865, to Miss Anna E. Gay; they have three children -- Richard, Thomas and Joel.

VIRGIL O. HARTER was born in Michigan, in 1850, and lived in his native State about eighteen years, and moved to McDonough County, Ill., and remained there one year, and moved to Lawrence, Kansas, and remained there a short time and moved to Burlington, Coffey County, in 1870, and engaged in the dry goods business for two years and removed to Cowley County, and lived there two years and returned to Burlington, and is a member of the firm of S. A. Brown & Co., lumber merchants. Mr. Harter was married in Burlington in 1877, to Miss Susan M. Bigelow, a native of Michigan. He is a member of the Episcopal Church.

WALTER S. HEBRON, editor, was born in Marshall County, W. Va., in 1849, and lived in his native State until 1860, and moved to Richland County, Ohio, with his parents, and in 1863, enlisted in the army in the Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, and returned to Ohio and lived in that State until 1870 and came to Kansas, and located in Harvey County and lived there eleven years, and moved to Burlington in 1881, and started the Burlington Republican, a forty-eight column, home print paper. Mr. Hebron was married in Harvey County, Kan., in June, 1881, to Miss Mary Dempsey, a native of Kentucky, and have one child -- Vena. Mr. Hebron is a member of the Masonic Order and the Grand Army of the Republic.

J. N. HENDERSON, carpenter, was born in Ohio in 1834; emigrated to Iowa in 1848, and located at Fairfield, Jefferson County. Moved to Daviess County, Mo., in 1858; returned to Iowa in 1862 and enlisted in Company B, Nineteenth Iowa Volunteers. Served two and one-half years. Was discharged for disability February 8, 1864. Was married in Iowa in 1858, to Miss R. J. Sheafer, a native of Preble County, Ohio. Have three children: Fannie F., Katie and Bertha. Emigrated to Kansas in 1869, and located at Burlington and went into the furniture and undertaking business. Is a member of the Odd Fellows and has represented his lodge three different times in the State Grand Lodge. Is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and has represented his lodge twice in the State Grand Lodge. Is now engaged in contracting and building.

B. C. HILL, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in Ohio, 1823, and lived there thirty-two years. Moved to Iowa, then came to Kansas in 1861; located in Burlington township. Is engaged in farming and stock raising. Was married in Ohio in 1850, to Miss Rebecca A. White, of Ohio. They have ten children, of whom three are dead, William B., Abbie Ann and Josephine. The living children are Spencer P., Eliza Jane, James H., Samuel L., Charles G., Garrett M. and Jediah D. His wife is a member of Baptist Church.

FRANK HOFFMANS was born in Germany in 1850, and moved to the United States in the fall of 1869, and located in Brown County, Ill., for one year and then came to Kansas and located in Burlington, in the grocery and provision business. He was married in Brown County, Ill., in 1873, to Miss A. M. Weigand. They have five children: Francis, Mamie, Lottie, Cornelius and Emma. Mr. Hoffmans is a member of the Catholic Church. He established business in Burlington in 1872 in connection with the firm of Sanders & Hoffmans and has been engaged in business in Burlington since.

FREDERIC HOLLOPETER, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in Clearfield County, Pa., 1827, and lived there until 1871, then came to Kansas and located in Burlington Township. Has been engaged in farming since. Was married in Pennsylvania in 1850, to Miss Susanna Reams, a native of Pennsylvania. they have six children: Alva D., Myron N., Alice A., Edith A., Effie D. and Mary B. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOHN HOLLYWOOD, merchant, was born in Manchester, England, in 1831, and moved to the United States in 1857. He located in Paterson, N. J. and lived there twelve years and came to Kansas in 1869, and settled in Burlington, where he was engaged in weaving for some time; he has since been engaged in the motion business for five years. Mr. Hollywood was married in Paterson, N. J., in 1875, to Miss Amelia Nielson, a native of Denmark. Mr. Hollywood enlisted in the Seventieth New York Volunteer Infantry, and served three years; then re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-first New York Volunteer Infantry, and served with that regiment until the close of the war.

COURTNEY HOLMES, was born in Lockport, N. Y., in 1839, and lived in his native State four years, and moved with his parents to Wisconsin, and lived in that State until 1857, when he came to Kansas and located in Coffey County, and removed to Morris county in 1859, and lived there until the spring of 1878, and returned to Burlington and was engaged in the cattle business until 1881, when he engaged in the livery business in Burlington. Mr. Holmes was married in Emporia in 1864, to Miss Anna Edwards, who came to Kansas in 1855, and is a native of England. They have three children -- Willie W., Ella M. and Effa Maude. Mr. Holmes was Second Lieutenant in the Clark's Creek Company of State Militia.

DR. D. O. HOPKINS, was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1835, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas in 1873, and located in Burlington, and engaged in the practice of medicine. Dr. Hopkins retired from the practice in 1880, and has since been engaged in loaning money. He was married in Ohio in September, 1858, to Miss Amy Cross, a native of Ohio. They have one child by his first wife -- Laura A. He lost his wife in 1866, and was married in Kansas in March, 1872, to Miss Mary E. Stoutemyer, a native of Ohio. Dr. Hopkins was educated in medicine at Starling College, Columbus, Ohio, and in the Cincinnati Surgical College, and was engaged in the practice of his profession from 1858 to 1880. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

H. F. HOYLE, was born in Preston, Lancashire County, England, and lived in his native country twenty-two years, and came to the United States, and has traveled in a number of the States, and located in Lucas County, Ohio, for five years, and came to Kansas in 1878, and located in Burlington, and engaged in the hardware and stove business. Mr. Hoyle was married in Burlington in 1879, to Miss Ava Page, a native of Wisconsin; they have one child -- Grace. Mr. Hoyle is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

R. C. HUDDLESON, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in 1847, and lived in his native State eighteen years, and came to Kansas and located at Burlington, and has lived in that town since. Mr. Huddleson was married in Burlington in 1876, to Miss W. C. Colwell, a native of Virginia. They have two children -- Topsy and Grace. Mr Huddleson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is engaged as an engineer, and is one of the old settlers of Burlington.

REV. J. ALBERT HYDEN, was born in Loudon County, East Tenn., in 1830, and was educated at the Hiwassu College, East Tennessee, in 1849-53; then was licensed as a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in which capacity he preached and taught until 1858, when he was received into the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in which he traveled as an itinerant minister until after the breaking out of the late war of the rebellion. Though a Southern man by birth and education, yet he took sides with the Government of the United States, and when the Federal troops occupied East Tennessee he was commissioned Chaplain in the Regular Army by President Lincoln, which position he held till after the close of the war. In the meantime the Church South charged him with want of loyalty to the confederacy and expelled him, though they afterward reinstated him at their General Conference. The spring before the close of the war Mr. Hyden, Governor Brownlow and Judge Gillinwater called a convention of the loyal Methodists to meet at Knoxville, E. Tenn., for the purpose of arranging to organize the Methodist Episcopal Church in the South. The spring following Bishop Clark organized the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hyden resigned his position as Chaplain in the Regular Army, and was appointed by Bishop Clark, Presiding Elder of the Athens District, and in the midst of great peril he organized and remained on the district four years, at the close of which he was appointed Presiding Elder of the Chattanooga District, remaining on it three years. He then resigned the district and went into the regular pastorate of the church, serving as pastor on the Athens Circuit two years, and Cleveland Station three years. He organized the "Grange High School" of the State, and was Principal of it one year. During his residence in his native State he was Superintendent of Public Instruction in the county of McMinn four years, and filled many other places of profit and trust. In 1877 he was transferred from the Holston Conference to the South Kansas Conference, and has been in the regular pastorate in said Conference ever since. He is now the Pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Burlington, Coffey Co., Kan. Mr. Hyden was married in 1853, to Miss Nany (sic) M. Steed, of East Tennessee. They had four children -- William H., Tennessee L., John A., Cora B. He was married the second time to Miss Nancy J. Crawford, of Knoxville, E. Tenn. They have four children -- Mary, James, Eugene and Lizzie. Mr. Hyden was Governor Brownlow's Pastor when he (Brownlow) was arrested by the rebels and put in prison. He was afterwards his intimate friend and traveling companion, when the Southern loyalists "swung round the circle" after President Johnson. He was with him in all that wonderful campaign that saved the Republican party at that time from disruption.

H. L. JARBOE, banker, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Kansas in 1866, and located at Burlington. He was born in Ralls County, Mo., in 1841, and at one year of age his parents removed to Warsaw, Ill., and remained there five years, and removed to Muscatine, Iowa, and remained there nine years, and removed to Rochester, Iowa, and lived there two years, and returned to Muscatine and remained three years and enlisted in 1861, in Company H, Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served with that regiment for four years, and was mustered out in July, 1865, at the close of the war. Mr. Jarboe came to Kansas and located in Burlington, and established the Burlington National Bank, and is also a partner of the banking house of M. Bailey & Co., of Chanute, Neosho County. He was married in Fulton County, Ill., to Miss Adda Webster, a native of Illinois. They have three children -- Frank W., Harry L. and Maude. Mr. Jarboe is a member of the Masonic Order.

CHARLES KAHNT, was born in Germany, in 1844, and lived in his native country six year. Removed to the United States with his parents in 1851, and located in Pike County, Ill., and lived in that State four years; removed to Dubuque, Iowa, and lived there eighteen years, and came to Kansas in 1873, and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in manufacturing boots and shoes, and is a general merchant in that line of goods. He was married in Villisca, Iowa, in 1871, to Miss Sophia Swearingen, a native of Ohio. They have three children -- Joanna, Ethel and Fred. Mr. Kahnt is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

GEORGE KEENEY was born in Kentucky, in 1828, and when quite small his parents moved to Monroe County, Ind., and lived there about twenty-five years, and moved to Cass County, Ind., and lived there eight years, and then moved to Platt County, Ill., and remained there eight years. He then moved to Woodson County, Kan., and lived in that county seven years, and located in Burlington in 1878, and engaged in the hotel business, and has been engaged in that business since as proprietor of the Central House. Mr. Keeney was married in Indiana, in 1846, to Miss Ruanna Hoover, a native of Indiana, and have five children -- James, John, Mary E., Isaac and George W.

WILLIAM J. KENT was born in Boston, in 1832, and lived in his native city about twenty-five years, and spent about six years in traveling in different States, and came to Kansas in 1858, and located for a short time in Kansas Falls, now Junction City, and returned to Boston, and came to Kansas again in 1861, and located in Leavenworth, and lived there several years, and then removed to Coffey County, and has lived in that county since, excepting a short time that he lived in Detroit, Mich. Mr. Kent was married in Boston, in 1856, to Miss Lizzie E. Morse, a native of Massachusetts, and have one child -- Frederick H. He lost his wife and married again in Leavenworth, in 1868, to Miss Sarah E. Coffman, a native of Iowa, and has four children by his second wife -- Allie, Minnie, Willie, Artie.

ORSON KENT, banker, broker and dealer in real estate, came to Kansas in 1857, and located in Coffey County, and has lived in that county since. He was born in Lyman, N. H., in 1838, and lived in his native State seventeen years, and moved to Illinois. Remained there until he came to Kansas. Mr. Kent was married in Burlington, in 1864, to Miss Kate Stimson, a native of New York. They have three children -- Marion R., Fanny S. and Richard H. Was County Clerk in 1860. Is a member of the Masonic Order, and is a member of the Episcopal Church.

JUDGE BURTON L. KINGSBURY was born in Bradford County, Pa., in 1832, and lived in his native State until he removed to Kansas in 1857. He was married in Burlington, Coffey Co., Kan., in July, 1860, to Miss Lucy A. Vince, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of A. H. Vince, one of the first settlers of Kansas. Mr. Kingsbury has five children -- Edward, Lizzie, Lucy, George and Emil. He has been Probate Judge of Coffey County for seven years and has been a member of the State Legislature of Kansas and Regent of the Agricultural College for five years and has been County Clerk of Coffey Count and Clerk of the District Court. Mr. Kingsbury is a member of the Masonic society and of the Episcopal Church.

ROBERT A. KINZIE (deceased) was born in Chicago, Ill., February 8, 1810; went to Kansas in 1851, and traded three years among the Pottawatomies and three years among the Sacs and Foxes; removed to Burlington in the spring of 1857; commissioned Paymaster in the United States army, with the rank of Major, in May, 1861; was stationed at Washington, D. C., until April, 1864, when he went to Santa Fe, N. M., where he remained until the summer of 1868, when he returned and was stationed at Chicago, upon the staff of Lieut.-Gen. Sheridan. He remained there until his death, which occurred at Chicago, December 13, 1873. He was twice brevetted (Lieutenant-Colonel and Colonel). He was present at the scene of the Chicago massacre, but none of the Kinzie family were harmed, for the reason that they had invariably been kind to the Indians.

FREDERICK KRUEGER was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1834, and lived in his native country twenty-six years, and moved to the United States and located in New Jersey, and lived there two years, and moved to Wayne County, Mich., and lived there six years and came to Kansas in 1869 and located in Lawrence, and lived there one year and moved to Burlington, Kan., and engaged in the market business and established his present grocery business in 1879. He was married in Michigan in 1863 to Miss Wilhelmina Mueller, a native of Germany, and has four children -- Louisa, Robert, Emma and Otto. Mr. Krueger is a member of the Masonic Order.

J. M. LANE was born in Boone County, Ind., in 1833, and lived in his native State twenty-two years, and moved to St. Paul, Minn., and remained in that State one year, and returned to Indiana and resided in Indiana until 1857, when he came to Kansas and located in Burlington. He was married in Lyon County, Kan., in 1866, to Miss C. A. McGennis, a native of Indiana, and has four children -- Elmer L., James H., William M. and Anna M. Mr. Lane has served as Treasurer of Coffey County for four and one-half years, and Sheriff of the county for two years. Mr. Lane is a member of the Masonic Order and is at present engaged in the real estate and brokerage business in Burlington, the firm being Lane & Kent.

RICHARD S. LANG, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in England in 1840 and lived in his native country eleven years; he then moved to Canada, lived there until 1863, then he moved to the State of New York, lived there three years, then moved to Kentucky, lived there four years, then came to Kansas, lived in Burlington, engaged in masonry eight years; since then has lived on a farm. He was married in 1864 to Miss Fannie E. Wigston, a native of England. They have two children -- William and Clara. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and a member of the Congregational Church.

W. J. LA RUE, JR., was born in Utica, Ill., in 1845, and lived in his native State twenty-five years, until 1870, and came to Kansas and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the grocery business for two years and then established his present business of clothing and gents' furnishing goods. Mr. La Rue was married in Nebraska City in 1875, to Miss Vachti Holmes, a native of Indiana, and have two children -- Edward H. and James D. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias.

HIRAM McALLISTER was born in Philadelphia in 1812, and lived in that city ten years, and moved to Susquehanna County, Penn., and lived in that county until he was twenty-seven years old, and returned to Philadelphia and lived there until he was forty-two years of age, and came to Kansas in April, 1855, and located in Prairie City, fifteen miles southwest from Lawrence, and remained there from 1855 to 1863, and moved to Burlington, Coffey County, and has lived there since. Mr. McAllister was married in Susquehanna County, Penn., in 1830, to Miss Orilla Fox, a native of Hartford, Conn. They have three children -- William F., Mary E. and Ellen S. Mr. McAllister has been School Trustee and clerk in a dry goods and grocery store in Burlington, and is now janitor of the public school building. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and is one of the oldest settlers of the State of Kansas.

W. McMULLEN, M. D., was born in Manchester, England, and removed to the United States with his parents at the age of three years, and located at Philadelphia, and lived there about eight years, and moved to Auglaize County, Ohio, and lived in that State until he came to Kansas in 1866, and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the practice of his profession. Dr. McMullen was married in Auglaize County, Ohio, in 1856, to Miss Mary Douglass, a native of Philadelphia; they have two children - - Verbena and Mary V. He is a member of the Masonic Order and also of the Congregational Church. Dr. McMullen was educated in his profession in the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1856, and practised (sic) in Auglaize County, Ohio, for eleven years, and came to Kansas, and engaged in practice in Burlington. The doctor has been State Medical Examiner from 1879 to 1881.

ARCHIBALD C. MAJORS, railroad agent, was born in Adams County, Ill., and lived in his native State twenty-seven years, and moved to Kansas, locating at Burlington in 1870, and engaged as agent of the M. K. T. R. R. Co. for six years, and was in the hardware business for two years, and then engaged as agent for the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas R. R., and is in that business now, and owns and directs a first-class meat market, and owns quite a large amount of property in Burlington and Coffey County. Mr. Majors was married in Burlington, in 1876, to Miss Hattie Willet, a native of Ohio. They have three children -- Leigh W., Jessie B. and John H. He has been treasurer of the Board of Education, and a member of the Christian Church.

GEORGE E. MANCHESTER, lawyer, studied law in St. Johnsburgh, Vt., with Walter P. Smith. And after completing his studies, he removed to Kansas, in 1877, and located in Burlington, and commenced the practice of his profession, and has lived there since. Mr. Manchester was born in Barret, Vt., in March, 1852, and lived in his native State twenty-five years, and then came to Kansas and located where he now lives. He was married in Emporia in January, 1878, to Miss Kate R. McPhee, a native of Vermont. They have one child -- Lemuel R. Mr. Manchester has been City Attorney for Burlington. He is a lawyer of education and ability, and is one of the rising young attorneys of the State of Kansas.

DR. WILLIAM MANSON, was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1830, and lived in his native State about twenty years and moved to White County, Ind., and lived in that State about seven years and came to Kansas in 1857, and located at Burlington, and engaged in the practice of his profession. Dr. Manson was educated at Rush Medical College at Chicago, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1855. He has been engaged in the practice of medicine for twenty-eight years in the States of Indiana and Kansas. He was married in Burlington, in 1858, to Miss G. H. Kinzie, a native of Chicago, Ill.; have four children -- Kate, Robert, David and Carrie. Dr. Manson has been County Treasurer for Coffey County, Coroner and Pension Examiner for the Government; is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

JACOB MANZIE, meat market, was born in Switzerland, in 1831, and lived in his native country until 1854, and came to the United States and located in Indiana and lied in that State until 1869, and came to Kansas and located in Topeka for six months, and then came to Burlington and engaged in the butcher business, and has been engaged in shipping stock. He was married in Lawrenceburg, Ind., in 1856, to Miss Dora Colekorbk, a native of Bavaria. They have five children -- Jacob, John, George, Henry, and Freddy.

E. S. MARTIN was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 23, 1841, and lived in his native State about fourteen years and removed to Tazewell County, Ill., and lived in that State for twenty-eight years and came to Kansas in the spring of 1880, and located in Burlington, Coffey County, and engaged in the grocery. Mr. Martin was married in Delavan, Ill., in February, 1865, to Miss Mary Kidder, a native of Maine. They have two children -- Effie and Myrtie. Mr. Martin is a member of the Masonic Order, the G. A. R., and a member of the firm of Manson & Martin, grocery and provision dealers. He enlisted in 1861, in the Eighth Illinois Infantry, and served one year and was discharged on account of disability from gunshot wound received in active service.

JOHN MENARY, miller, was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1855; he remained in his native country until 1880, and came to Kansas, and located in Sumner County and remained there one year, and came to Coffey County in 1882, and located in Burlington. He lived one year in Winfield, Kan. Mr. Menary is a single man and is the head miller of the Burlington City Mills.

DAVID P. METCALF was born in Illinois, in 1817, and lived in his native State forty-two years, and came to Kansas in 1858, and located in Coffey County and has lived in Burlington since his location. Mr. Metcalf was first married in Illinois, in 1835, to Miss Emily Willhite, a native of Kentucky, and had four children by his first wife -- Mary, Thomas J. W., Benton and Sarah. Mr. Metcalf was married again, in 1861, to Mrs. Minnie Hussa. He has one child by his second wife, named Walter. Mr. Metcalf lost his second wife and married again, in 1877, Miss Nancy Ellis, a native of Virginia, and has two children, Lora and Cora. Mr. Metcalf has been Justice of the Peace for Burlington and is one of the oldest settlers of Coffey County, and has been very prominent in building up the town of Burlington, and has been a large holder of property in Burlington.

J. B. METZLER was born in Ohio, in 1857, and lived in his native State about sixteen years, and came to Kansas and located in Coffey County, and engaged in farming for about seven years, and has been in the drug business in Burlington for one year. Mr. Metzler was married in Coffey County, in 1880, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias.

J. A. MOSHER was born in Ontario County, N. Y., and lived in his native State seventeen years, and moved to Wisconsin, and lived there nine years, and moved to Minnesota, and lived in that State two years, and then came to Kansas in 1880, and located in Burlington, and established the jewelry business. Mr. Mosher was married in New York, in 1870, to Miss Lydia A. Rickard, a native of New York. They have one child - - Leon M. Mr. Mosher is a member of the Royal Arcanum.

D. V. MOTT, County Treasurer, was recently installed in the position. Mr. Mott came to Kansas in November, 1869, and located in Burlington, and has lived there since. He was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1848, and lived in his native State twenty-one years, and came to Kansas and located where he now lives. Mr. Mott was married in Coffey County in June, 1871, to Miss Alice Holmes, a native of Wisconsin, and had four children, two of whom are living -- Arthur J. and Letta. Mr. Mott held the office of Deputy Treasurer for four years. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and is a good business man and a highly respected citizen of his town and county.

[TOC] [part 9] [part 7] [Cutler's History]