|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JAMES - MOONEY).
C. N. JAMES came to Kansas in the spring of 1860, settling in Linn County, near where Pleasanton now is, and engaged in farming, but the famine of that year left him entirely destitute; and, not wishing to eat the bread of idleness, and live off the Emigrant Aid Society, as was the custom in those times. In the fall of 1860, with ten cents in his pocket, he moved to Butler, Bates Co., Mo., where he engaged in teaching, which occupation he followed until, in the summer of 1861, the war of the rebellion made it too hot for a Union man to remain in Missouri, when, with his wife and child, he returned to Kansas but little better off than when he left it; and where, after much sickness and amid many discouragements, he secured a school at Mound City, Linn County, when he resumed the occupation of teaching, with a net income of about $5 per month. In the summer of 1862 he removed to Leavenworth, and, with his wife, taught in the public schools of Leavenworth for a time, when he obtained a more lucrative position as book-keeper for N. McCracken, a wholesale grocer, which position he retained until the death of Mr. McCracken, when he was immediately tendered a position in the Scott, Ken & Co. bank. In the summer of 1865 he removed to Council Grove, where he engaged in merchandising in company with William F. Shumleffer, of that place. In 1868 he came to Butler County, locating on the present town site of Augusta. Here he erected a log store, the first building on the town site, and engaged in merchandising. Through his efforts this point was soon made a post office and named Augusta, in honor of his wife, Mrs. Augusta C. James, she being the first lady resident on the town site. Augusta to-day is one of the most substantial cities of Southern Kansas, and to Mr. James much credit is due for its growth and prosperity. He was prominently associated with all its early commendable enterprises, contributing both time and money. Officially, while a resident of Augusta, he was Justice of the Peace and Postmaster for six years. In 1874 he was elected Clerk of the District Court by the Republican party. The duties of this office he discharged for four consecutive terms, being elected each time with little opposition. Mr. James is a native of Connecticut, and was born at Stafford Springs, Tolland County, February 5, 1836. When fourteen years of age he emigrated to Kenosha, Wis. A few years later removed to Dane County, which was his home until coming to Kansas. Was educated in Wisconsin and Illinois, being a graduate of Burnham's Commercial and Mathematical Institute of Rockford, Ill. He was married in Wisconsin to Miss Augusta C. Boynton, of Rock County. He is a member of the Masonic order. He was master of the Augusta Blue Lodge six years, and master of Patmos Lodge, El Dorado, three years. He is a charter member of the Commandery of El Dorado, and present Eminent Commander. He is a member of the K. of H. Was Grand Reporter of the State in 1879 and 1880. He has always been a strict temperance man. Mr. And Mrs. James are members of the Baptist Church.
C. C. JONES, of the firm of C. E. Lobdell & Co., was born in Decatur, Ill.; he came to Kansas in 1873, residing in Emporia, in 1878, when he became a resident of El Dorado; for a few years was in the employ of George W. Tolle. Mr. Jones is a gentleman of good business qualifications.
WILLIAM JOY, proprietor Central Hotel, was born in Stark County, Ill., November 7, 1859, and from there went with his parents to Coles County, where he was reared and educated. In 1879 emigrated to Greenwood County, Kan.; from there went to El Dorado, Butler County. Followed farming till he came to El Dorado, February 3, 1883, since which time he has been engaged in hotel business. Mr. Joy has a large patronage.
H. H. KENNEDY, farmer and stockraiser, Section 27, P. O. El Dorado, was born in Jefferson County, Pa., November 22, 1836. He was educated and reared in his native State and came to Kansas, locating where he now resides in the spring of 1870, being among the early settlers in that part. Mr. K. was married in Pennsylvania, to Miss Mary M. Shirley. They have seven children - Laura a., Grant, Meade, Wayne, Lot, Belle and Blanch.
D. L. KNOWLES, is a native of Delaware, and was born in 1838; when sixteen years of age came to Ohio, locating in Pickaway County, which was his home until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating in El Dorado. In 1871, was elected Recorder of Deeds, which office he filled satisfactorily for several terms. Since holding the office of Recorder, he has been deputy or clerk in the office much of the time. Mr. K. is prominently associated with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a local preacher for a number of years. He was married in 1860, to Miss A. M. Owens, a native of Ohio. They have had eleven children, seven of whom are living - Linnie, Sadie, George W., Samuel O., Annie E., Alfred C. and Charles M.
LAFAYETTE KNOWLES, attorney, was born in Circleville, Pickaway Co., Ohio, March 17 1850. Was educated and resided in his native State until 1873, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating at Fort Scott. On the 17th of March, 1875, took up his abode in El Dorado; commenced the study of law in El Dorado, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1877. For four years has been United States Commissioner, served the people of Butler one term as County Attorney, and has otherwise been officially identified. Politically, Mr. K. is a Republican. He is a K. T. Mason and member of the K. of P., has filled various offices in both orders. He was married in El Dorado to Miss Mary E. Long.
J. T. LAMBDIN, harness and saddlery, is a son of Judge J. C. Lambdin, of Butler County. He was born in Johnson County, Ind., November 22, 1842, came to Butler County in 1857, with his parents, who settled at Chelsea. He has since been a resident of the county, principally of El Dorado, where he learned the trade he how pursues, engaging in business twelve years ago. In 1864 he enlisted in Company C. Eleventh Kansas, serving in the Western department until the close of the war. He was married in Butler County, in 1871, to Miss Devina Petrie. They have one son, Earl. Mr. L. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
HON. CYRUS A. LELAND, attorney, was born in Ottawa, Ill. In 1861 at eighteen years of age, he entered Yale College, graduating in 1865; he returned to Ottawa in that year, taking up the study of law and being admitted to the bar a few years later. He was identified with the legal fraternity of La Salle County until 1877, when he located in El Dorado. As an attorney, Mr. L. ranks among the first in the State. Politically he is a Democrat. In 1883 he was appointed by Gov. Glick one of the regents of the State University. In 1882 he was a candidate for Congressman at large on the Democratic ticket and was defeated. He was married in 1870, at Ottawa, Ill., to Miss Nellie A. Thompson. They have three children, Percy S., Flora M. and Cecil P.
CHARLES E. LOBDELL, attorney, was born in Miami County, Kan., September 28, 1861. He is a son of D. J. Lobdell, Esq., of Plum Grove, Butler County, who was a pioneer of Miami County. Charles E. has been a resident of Butler County since 1870. For a few years he followed the vocation of school teaching, taking up the study of law in El Dorado, in the office of A. L. Redden. In September, 1882, he was admitted to the bar. Mr. L. is undoubtedly the first Kansan admitted. He is one of the promising young attorneys of the State. Beside his law practice, he is extensively engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and a charter member of the K. of P. Lodge of El Dorado.
D. J. LOBDELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 34, P. O. Plum Grove, deserving of mention among the pioneers, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of New York and was born in Clinton County, October 20, 1840. In the fall of 1857 he came to Kansas, taking up his abode in Miami County; was identified with the development of the county, which was his home for several years. During the war he served in the Fifteenth Kansas and was mustered as Orderly and held all the positions up to rank of First Lieutenant, continuing in the service until the close. In 1870 he came to Butler County, locating at Plum Grove, where for a few years he was engaged in mercantile pursuits. Mr. L. was married in Kansas, to Miss Roxanna Godding. They have four children, Charles E., Ada, Fred and Murtle. Charles E. is an attorney of El Dorado.
F. M. McANALLY, grocer, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Franklin County, July 6, 1841. He was educated and reared in his native State, and lived for a time in Ohio, where he was married to Miss Rachel Boyles; for a few years he was a resident of Johnson County, Mo. coming from there to Kansas in 1869; after a sojourn in Allen County, came to Butler and located in Fairview Township, being among the first in that part; he and his family camped in a wagon until he built a log cabin; the extreme wet weather gave them much trouble, the exposure also being unhealthy. Mr. McAnally had all the drawbacks of the early pioneer to contend with but has succeeded through industry and perseverance. Mr. And Mrs. McAnally have three children - T. J., Albert and Ira.
J. M. McANALLY, merchant, is a native of Ohio and was born in Clermont County in 1844; came to Illinois in 1869, and lived in Champaign County until the spring o f 1880 when he came to Kansas, locating in Morris county. Came to El Dorado the spring of 1882. Mr. McA. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Presbyterian Church.
PROF. ALFRED McCaskey, IS A NATIVE OF Ohio, and was born in Crawford County, May 13th, 1854. After receiving the benefits of the common schools of Sulpher Springs, where he was reared, he entered Oberlin College, attending that institution of learning continually during the regular terms for seven years, graduating with the class of 1882. His residence in El Dorado dates from July, 1882; his parents located here one year before. In September, 1882, he assumed the principalship of the El Dorado school. Mr. McClaskey is recognized as one of the most efficient educators in southern Kansas.
WILLIAM McDOWELL, livery man, came to Butler County, in 1869, engaging in business at Towanda, where he carried on merchandising up to 1879, locating in El Dorado in that year. Mr. McD. Is a native of Ohio; was born in Cuyahoga County in 1838. In September, 1861, enlisted in the First Ohio, Volunteer Infantry, serving in the capacity of Quartermaster Sergeant; was at Fort Donnelson, Stone River and Shiloh; was honorably discharged after three years; resided in Michigan a few years where he was married to Miss Annie Van DeBogart, they have four children - Fred, Claud, Bessie and Willie. Mr. McD. Is a Mason.
J. A. McKENZIE, M. D., was among the first of the medical fraternity to locate in El Dorado. He became a resident in the spring of 1870, and has since been identified as a practitioner of medicine. Dr. McKenzie is a native of Indiana, and was born in Clinton County, November 7, 1841. When the war broke out he was residing in Tipton County, Ind., where he enlisted in the first call, serving three months in Company F. Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. At the expiration of his term he re-enlisted in the Forty-seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Upon the organization of regiment, was elected Second Lieutenant of Company K. In the spring of 1862, was detailed in the Signal Service and was assigned to the staff of General George W. Morgan, in the Department of the Cumberland. He took up the study of medicine in Tipton County, Ind., and graduated in the Kentucky School of Medicine, at Louisville. Previous to coming to El Dorado, practiced two years in Topeka. The doctor has been Mayor of El Dorado four terms He was County Physician and otherwise identified. He is a R. A. K. T., Mason and an Odd Fellow, a member of the G. A. R., and the K. of H. He was married in Tipton County, Ind., to Miss Henrietta Norman. They have five children - Gertrude, Maud, Olive, Blanche, J. Alexis and Lolle.
WILLIAM E. McGINNIS, real estate agent, was born in Vigo County, Ind., June 27, 1835. At an early age removed to Vermillion County, Ind., where he was partially reared. Resided several years in Edgar County and other portions of Illinois. In 1856, with parents and other members of his family came to Kansas, settling in Coffey County, being among the early settlers there. At the breaking out of the war enlisted in the Fifth Kansas Cavalry, serving as Lieutenant for eight months. During the border difficulties contributed his assistance toward the Free-soil cause. After the war located in Hartford, Lyon County; subsequently he was engaged in stock raising in Linn and Cherokee counties. For a few years resided in Joplin, Mo., where he was engaged in mining. In 1879 came to El Dorado, engaging in the real estate business. For three years was Justice of the Peace. Mr. McGinnis has been twice married; first in 1860, to Miss R. F. Hunt, of Kansas (now deceased); by this marriage has one daughter - Lucretia F. In 1866, Miss Liddie J. Bacon became his wife. They have two children - William H. and Ira E. He is a member of the G. A. R.
J. A. McGINNIS, M. D., is a native of Indiana, and was born in Vermillion, Marion County, June 5, 1836. When fourteen years of age his parents emigrated to Edgar County, Ill., where J. A. resided until he attained his eighteenth year, when he came to Kansas and located in Coffey County. His father, who was a physician, was induced to come a year after with the balance of the family, settling at Hartford, Lyon County, where the subject of this sketch made his home for several years. He took up the study of medicine under the tutorship of his father and Dr. J. D. Hitchcock. In later years took a course of lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, and the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati. During the early troubles of 1856 he took an active part with the Free-state faction, and became one of Gen. Lane's trusted stand-bys, and took many chances on his life in furthering the Free-state cause. On one occasion he carried a dispatch to Kansas City for Gen. Lane, to be delivered to a man by the name of Brown, who was then having a trial at the hands of the border ruffians. His identity was not discovered until about the time he got through with his business, and by clever management he made his escape. He was at Black Jack and other noted engagements of the day. In 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Ninth Kansas, serving two years, the greater portion of the time as Sergeant. During this time when medical aid was needed he assisted, but was not a regular army surgeon. It was the wish of his company that he be made Lieutenant, but owing to the objections of the superior officers from mercenary motives it was unsuccessful. Governor Robinson would not commission him because he was a Lane man. About that time he received from President Abraham Lincoln a commission as First Lieutenant, and at once assumed command in the First Kansas Colored Regiment, serving in that capacity until the close of the war. He was mustered out at Leavenworth, November 14, 1865. Peace being restored, Dr. McGinnis settled down to the practice of his profession in Coffey County, continuing until 1869, when he came to Butler County, engaging extensively in the stock trade on a ranch near El Dorado. A few years later he came to this township, where he has since been principally engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1868 he was elected to the State Legislature by the Republican party of Coffey County. During his residence in Butler County he has been County Commissioner, and otherwise officially identified. The doctor is among the foremost advocates of temperance in the State, and contributes his ample share towards the progress and general intelligence of the commonwealth. He is a member of the G. A. R. He was married in Kansas, March 10, 1858, to Miss Sarah A. Benedict. By this union has two sons - Walter F. and Schuyler A. Mrs. McGinnis' death occurred in 1867. The 18th of August, 1872, Mrs. Carrie Telyea, of Chicago, became his wife. They have an adopted daughter - Mary A. Winn.
J. B. MARCUM, dealer in musical merchandise, was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, in 1842; at an early age he came west with his parents, settling in Nebraska, and for a number of years followed farming in Richardson County, Neb., and Brown County, Kas. Came to Butler County in 1872, and engaged in present business in 1876. For six years resided in Indiana, where he was married to Miss Rebecca Kendall (now deceased). His present wife's maiden name was Emma Linebarger, of Kansas. Mr. M. is closely identified with the United Brethren Church, and is recognized as one of its active members.
ENOCH MARIS, hardware merchant, was born in Parke County, Ind., October 7, 1842, and was reared and educated in native State. In 1861, at the first call for troops, he enlisted in Company F, Fourth United States Cavalry, and after serving three months, re-enlisted in Company A, Fourteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving continually, without furlough, until October 30, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. For a while he was regular mail agent in the Mississippi Division; and for a time was assistant agent at Nashville, both positions being hazardous. He participated in twenty-one general engagements; first was with McClellan; was with Sheridan at Winchester; was with Gen. Sherman to the sea; was in the Wheeler raid, and with Gen. Wilson at Franklin; was captured by John Morgan, and held for a short period. At the wind-up of his term in service, he assisted in capturing Wirtz, of Andersonville prison fame. There are but few soldiers that contributed more amply toward suppressing the rebellion than Mr. M. In 1866 he came to Kansas; at that time being in limited circumstances financially. He located at Winfield, which was his home for several years. For a time was engaged in the Texas cattle trade, and later, was prominently identified with the mercantile interests of Winfield. In 1875 he came to El Dorado, where he has since carried on the hardware, tinware and implement business. Mr. M. is a K. T. Mason, is a member of the K. of H., and the G. A. R. is a charter member of the Chapter and Commandery of El Dorado. He was charter member of the Masonic lodge in Winfield. In 1882, was H. P. of the El Dorado chapter. He was married in Winfield, to Miss L. C. Tucker.
J. E. MARSHALL, right-of-way commissioner for the St. L. Ft. S. & W. R. R., is a native of Virginia, and was born in Fairfield County, January 31, 1847. At an early age he removed to Muscatine, Iowa, where he was educated and reared. In 1862 he enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving nearly three years in the capacity of First Deputy Sergeant. He was in the Department of the Tennessee on the Red River expedition, and participated in many prominent events of the war, locating in Alabama when the troubles were over, and was there identified as a cotton planter for several years. In May, 1878, he came to Kansas, and for a time was material agent for the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and later for the A. & P. For the past two years he has been connected with the St. L., Ft. S. & W. R. R., with headquarters at El Dorado. He was married in Montgomery County, Ala., to Miss M. E. Caffey, of that city. They have four children - James E., William H., Maggie M., and Jennie P. Mr. Marshall is a K. T. Mason. He was elected Councilman in El Dorado in 1881 and 1882.
MELVIN MICKLE, attorney and pension agent, was born in Cape May County, N. J., November 7, 1839. In 1859 he came to Kansas, locating at Ottawa, and afterward at Fredonia, where he was prominently identified, being Postmaster for eight years, Probate Judge of Wilson County six years, besides filling other county offices. During the war he was in the Fifteenth Kansas, serving three years. He was admitted to the bar of Jefferson County, at Oskaloosa, in 1869. In 1875 he located at El Dorado, where he has conducted a pension agency in connection with his law practice, and continues to make the bounty and pension business a specialty. Mr. Mickle has been twice married; first to Miss Alice Johnson, now deceased. By this marriage had three children, who are also deceased. His present wife was formerly Mrs. Sallie D. Martin, widow of Henry Martin, the founder of El Dorado. They have two children.
J. S. MILAM, merchant tailor. This gentleman is a native of Indiana, and was born in Sullivan County, March 21, 1824. He was reared and educated in his native State, and learned the trade of tailor in Vincennes. In February, 1847, he enlisted in the regular army for the Mexican troubles. During his term he did garrison duty at Jefferson barracks, in Missouri. For several years he lived in different parts of the country, being a resident of Indiana in 1861, when he enlisted in Company D of the Twenty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving eleven months as First Lieutenant, and resigned at New Orleans. For a number of years he carried on a large tailoring establishment at Pekin, Ill., coming from there to El Dorado a few years ago. Mr. Milam was married in 1851 to Miss Ellen Hinsey, of Illinois. By this union they have three children - Mary E. (now Mrs. Bearse), Ruth (now Mrs. Roberts), and Virginia G. Mr. Milam is a member of the Masonic order and of the G. A. R., Wallace Post of El Dorado.
JOHN M. MILLER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 33, P. O. El Dorado, was one of the first settlers on the Osage Strip. He came to Butler County in 1866, locating where he now resides in the fall of 1867. He had all the inconveniences to contend with which were current at that period. Mr. Miller is a native of Illinois, and was born in Coles County, June 24, 1841. In 1862 enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty- sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was with Gen. Grant at Vicksburg, and served through the Western Department until the close, being discharged in 1865. He was married in Kansas to Miss Raphel Carter. They have seven children - James W., Mary J., Rosa I., Henry O., Robert A., John S. and Mabel.
VOL. P. MOONEY, Clerk of the Court. This well known citizen is a son of Hon. Isaac Mooney, of Towanda. He became a resident of Butler County in 1870. For a few years followed farming, and later was engaged in merchandising in El Dorado. For two years he was Deputy County Clerk. In 1882 he was elected to his present office, receiving a large Republican majority. Mr. M. is a native of Ohio; was born September 23, 1852; at an early age of his existence removing with his parents to Bureau County, Ill., where he was educated and reared. He is a member of the Masonic Order, Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was married in Kansas to Miss Frankie Mooney. They have three children - Cora, Earl and Walter.