|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ELLET - HUBBELL).
GEN. A. W. ELLET was born near Bristol, Bucks Co., Pa., October 11, 1820. His father, Charles Ellet, and his mother (who was an Isrial) were natives of Pennsylvania. A. W. received his primary education in Philadelphia. When thirteen years of age he was obliged to leave school on account of his health. In 1836, with an elder brother, he came West, arriving, after a two weeks' journey, at Bunker Hill, Macoupin Co., Ill., where they located, being among the first settlers in that locality. He turned his attention to tilling the soil, and was identified with the agricultural interests of Macoupin County for a quarter of a century. Upon the breaking out of the Rebellion he organized three companies. He was urged by the troops composing each company to accept the captaincy, which he did finally of the third company. The quota for Illinois, which was ten regiments, was at that time filled, and Capt. Ellet, on assuming command, reported to Gov. Gamble, of Missouri, who had his company enrolled in the Ninth Missouri Volunteer Infantry as Company I, which was then recruiting. This regiment was subsequently, by order of the President, designated as the Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, the ten companies which composed it being entirely from Illinois. Capt. Ellet served with his original company until after the battle of Pea Ridge, at which time he was ordered to report at Gen. Schofield's headquarters, in St. Louis, 'with one hundred men and six officers, none above the grade of First Lieutenant, for secret and dangerous service.' Upon his arrival in that city, he was commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel, and placed in command of one hundred picked men. The duty assigned him was to assist in operating a ram fleet. His brother, Col. Charles Ellet, Jr., a civil engineer, had been ordered by the Secretary of War to construct a fleet of nine rams, which at this period were under headway at New Albany, Ind. To that point Lieut.-Col. Ellet repaired. Upon his arrival they made an impromptu departure, having the mechanics finish their work on the rams while going down the river. On the 6th of June, 1862, they fought the battle before Memphis, in which they and the gunboats, under command of Com. Davis, completely annihilated the enemy's fleet. In this noted engagement Charles Ellet received a wound, from the effects of which he died, June 20, at Jefferson barracks. He was the only man who received an injury on the ram fleet. When news of his death reached the War Department, the Secretary at once telegraphed Lieut. Col. A. W. Ellet to take command of the fleet. Lieut. Col. Ellet, without waiting for instructions, proceeded down the river, having one object in view - the opening of the Mississippi River to our boats. Upon reaching the mouth of Old River, a few miles above Vicksburg, Lieut. Col. Ellet sent his nephew, Charles Rivers Ellet, and his son, Ed C. Ellet, with three others, across the peninsula, and opened communication with Admiral Farragut, giving to that gallant officer the first intelligence he had yet received of the annihilation of the enemy's fleet opposite Memphis. It was during this period that the rebel ram Arkansas came out of Yazoo River and ran the gauntlet of a hundred guns, passed through the entire Federal fleet almost uninjured, and landed under the Vicksburg batteries. Col. Ellet offered his service to run into the Arkansas with one of his rams, and sink her at her anchorage. This offer was accepted by both Admirals Davis and Farragut, and Col. Ellet proceeded to prepare his vessel for the attack; but before the time for starting had arrived, he received orders from the admirals that the iron- clad gunboat Essex, commanded by Com. Procter, supposed to be the most powerful vessel of the navy, should precede the ram in the attack upon the Arkansas; should run down and grapple with the enemy, haul her from her position into the stream, and fight her broadside to broadside. When the fight began Col. Ellet was to dart out with his ram under full head of steam, run into the Arkansas, and sink her in midriver. Col. Ellet moved out upon the report of the first gun announcing that the engagement was begun; but upon rounding the point above Vicksburg, the Essex was observed proceeding down the river and the Arkansas was still at her moorings, her position only changed by lengthening her headlines, so that Col. Ellet could only strike her by passing below and coming up stream, thus losing much of the ram's momentum and lessening the violence of the shock. The blow was delivered, however, and the Arkansas was greatly injured, so much so that she could not be properly repaired with the means at command at Vicksburg. For this act of bravery Col. Ellet was promoted to Brigadier General. He next moved on to Vicksburg with the Mississippi ram fleet. Immediately after the capture of that city, in which he took a prominent part, he was ordered to report at the War Department in Washington, where he received a commission to take command of a Mississippi marine brigade and ram fleet. This was composed of a regiment of infantry, a battalion of cavalry and a section of artillery, which was to be carried on large steamers. The base of operations was on the Mississippi south of Memphis. The vessels were so constructed that, upon their touching the shore, the command could be thrown out in line of march in less than five minutes. This fleet did good work up to January, 1864, when, on account of there being no further need of such service, it was discontinued. Gen. Ellet resigned upon hearing of Sherman's capture of Savannah. Gen. Ellet's command was a peculiar one, being organized under special instructions from the War Department to act upon the water. His reports were made direct to the Secretary of War. While an independent commander, he yet received orders from the Admiral of the Navy when acting in concert with him. The principal duty of the brigade and ram fleet was to act against the guerrilla bands of the enemy, who fired upon our vessels in their passage up and down the river. The brigade enjoyed the proud record of having captured more than twice their own number in prisoners. Gen. Ellet resided in Illinois until 1869, when he became a resident of El Dorado, and is largely interested in real estate in Butler County, and city property in El Dorado. The General is commanding in appearance, is a type of the gentleman, and is eminently popular with all. He has always been a total abstainer in the use of tobacco and liquors. He has been twice married; first to Miss Sarah J. Roberts, now deceased. By this union had three children - E. C., William H. and Elvira E., now Mrs. Kendall, of Topeka. The present Mrs. Ellet was formerly Miss Abigail Roberts.
ED. E. ELLET, banker, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Macoupin County, September 17, 1845. In 1861 he enlisted, serving three years and three months, the greater portion of the time being First Lieutenant on his father's (Gen. A. W. Ellet) staff. He participated in the battles of Pea Ridge and Vicksburg. After the war, for three years he was engaged in cotton planting in Mississippi. In 1869 he came to El Dorado, embarking in the hardware trade, being the first in that branch, which he continued up to 1882, when he turned his attention to banking. Mr. Ellet was married in Illinois to Miss F. W. Van Dorn, of Macoupin County. He is a member of the G. A. R.
J. H. EWING, merchant, came to Kansas in 1870, engaging in trade in Topeka; in 1871 located in El Dorado where he has since been engaged extensively in mercantile pursuits. Mr. E. is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Somerset County, September 23, 1832, residing for a time in Ohio, and for several years was a resident of Knoxville, Ill., where he was married to Miss Cornelia Weeks. They have three children: William, Charles and Albert. Mr. Ewing is a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a member of the K. of H.
I. V. B. FISHER, farmer and stockraiser, Section 25, P. O. El Dorado, is a native of Pennsylvania and was born February 15, 1837; at an early age removed with parents to Adams County, Md., where he was educated and reared, coming from there to Butler County, Kansas, the autumn of 1870, and has since been a resident of El Dorado. He was married in Maryland to Miss Mary Hensley, a native of Adams County.
W. P. FLENNER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 10, P. O. El Dorado, is a native of Pennsylvania and was born in Huntingdon County in 1820, and was educated and learned the plasterers' trade in his native State, after which he came West, locating in Urbana, Ill. In 1862 he enlisted in the Seventy-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He came to Kansas, locating where he now resides in June, 1877. Previous to this, however, he had been a resident of Nebraska several years. Mr. Flenner has been twice married, first in Pennsylvania to Miss Susan Hoeford, now deceased. She was a native of Somerset County. There were eight children born to them: Mattie, Arizomu, Mary and Walter. They lost four: Ida, Conrod, Grace and Charlie. He was married in Illinois to Miss Jennie Ruddick. She has two children by her first husband: Frank and Lizzie Ruddick. Mr. F. is a member of the I. O. O. F., the G. A. R. and Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically he advocates the Greenback doctrine, but is not a man of partisan views.
JOHN FOUTCH, president Butler County bank, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Sangamon County, September 6, 1826 was educated and reared in his native State. For a number of years was prominently identified as a farmer and merchant in Sangamon County. In 1876 was representative to the State Legislature form that county. In 1882 he came to El Dorado where he associated himself with the banking and general commercial interests of Southern Kansas. Politically Mr. F. is a Republican. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
HON. J. H. FULLINWIDER is a native of Kentucky, was born in Shelby County September 1, 1831. At an early age removed to Sangamon County, Illinois, which was his home until March 1879, when he became a resident of El Dorado. Mr. F. was reared a farmer which industry he still follows in connection with the stock trade. He has and is doing considerable in the way of building up El Dorado. The autumn of 1882 he was elected to the legislature from Butler County by the Republican party, as a representative. His record will compare favorably with any in the House. Mr. F. was married in Sangamon County, Ill., to Miss Isabelle Hall. They have three children. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
M. L. FULLINWIDER, M. D. is a native of Illinois, and was born in Sangamon County June 11, 1849. He was reared in his native State, being principally educated at the Weslyan University at Bloomington, graduating in 1871, after which he took up the study of medicine, taking lectures in the University of Vermont and Rush Medical College of Chicago, where he passed a creditable examination, and was admitted to practice in 1875. Dr. F. came to El Dorado in 1882. He was married in Illinois to Miss Clara Munsell. They have two children, Charley and Willie. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FULTON BROS., publishers of the Butler County Democrat, one of the wiriest, straight out- shoulder hitters and ablest edited advocates of Democracy in Kansas. T. P. Fulton, the senior editor and engraver, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Brown County November 11, 1850. He was educated in the Buckeye State, and followed the profession of teaching for several years in Ohio and Kentucky. In 1873 he came to Kansas for two years followed by teaching in Neosho and Crawford counties. He located in Girard in 1875, where he established the Crawford County News, the first Democratic paper in the county. After successfully operating the same for one year, he sold out and returned to Ohio, remaining until 1879, when he again became a resident of Girard, purchasing a half interest in The News, and for another year was identified with the press of Crawford County. Disposing of his interest in the News, he removed to Joplin, Mo., and was city editor of The Herald until June, 1880, when he came to El Dorado. In July of that year was issued the first edition of the Democrat. Mr. Fulton is a progressive newspaper man in every sense of the word, and if he is not ahead of the procession, is close behind the band wagon. He is very logical in handling the important issues of the day, has a keen idea of the ridiculous, is pungent when occasion demands it, and when his trenchant pen is dipped in gall, woe be to the victim. G. M. Fulton, the junior editor, was born in Brown County, Ohio, September 19, 1854. He was educated and reared in his native State, residing in Aberdeen and other points, his vocation being that of school teaching and farming, holding at different periods the offices of Town Clerk and Assessor of personal property. In 1881 he went to Colorado, coming from there to El Dorado October 11, 1881. In June 1882 he became associated on The Democrat. G. M. is one of the most genial and popular-going men in the county.
GEORGE GARDNER, attorney, a native of Illinois, was born in Cook County July 10, 1854, was principally reared and educated in Cook County, graduating from the academy at Elgin, Ill., in 1875. For several years he followed the vocation of school teaching. He came to El Dorado in the spring of 1879, at which time he took up the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1880. In the autumn of 1882 he was elected County Attorney. In this position he has attained the reputation of attending strictly to business, and is a terror to evil doers. Mr. G. has but few equals as an attorney in Butler County. He is a Mason, K. T., and member of the K. of P. He was married in 1880 to Miss Ada L. Smith. They have one son, George M.
H. H. GARDNER, cashier Exchange Bank, is a native of St. John, New Brunswick, and was born January 28, 1846. He was reared in the Province of New Brunswick, receiving his education in the Wesleyan College at Sackville. When seventeen years of age, he went to India and other countries; upon returning located in Chicago, Ill., and for two years was in the employ of J. V. Farwell & Co. On the 20th of December, 1869, he came to Kansas, locating in El Dorado, January 9, 1870. For a number of years he was engaged in Mercantile pursuits, his store being among the first erected in the town. Upon the incorporating of the Exchange Bank, of which he is one of the stockholders, he assumed his present position. Few, if any, have contributed more amply towards the upbuilding of El Dorado than Mr. G. For four years he was City Treasurer, and otherwise identified with city affairs. He is a Knight Templar Mason. On the 21st of February, 1872, he was married in El Dorado, to Miss Lillie Sears, of Carson City, Nev.
REV. S. F. C. GARRISON, horticulturist, Section 8, P. O. El Dorado, Kan., is a native of Indiana, and was born in Parke County, June 9, 1832. At an early age he removed to Ohio, where he studied, preparing for the ministry, and also received the benefits of the Illinois College at Jacksonville. The hope and desire of his parents and friends was that he would enter the ministry in the Old Presbyterian Church; but having a broader and more consistent view of the atonement made by Christ, he chose a medium ground between extreme Calvinism and Arminianism. The Methodist Episcopal Church, Iowa Conference, licensed him to preach, and he was admitted in 1857 and appointed a Peoria charge; 1858, to Muscatine; 1859, to Richmond; 1860, 1861, at Green Castle; 1862, at Red Rock. Enlisted for the war; moved his family to Knoxville, Iowa; failed to be elected captain of the company he recruited because he would not pay the whisky bill, but was appointed a Sergeant, and did good service in drilling the men and writing for the Captain and Regiment - Fortieth Iowa Infantry. After one year and ten months, was promoted to the chaplaincy of the Fortieth Iowa Infantry; was zealous and successful as a Chaplain. After the war he was appointed to Montrose, Iowa, 1866 and 1867; to Winfield, 1868; to North Liberty, 1869. The disability contracted while in the army increasing, he located and moved to El Dorado, Kan., where he organized the first Methodist Episcopal Society, and was the first pastor in the place. He has recently identified himself with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is now living on his fine fruit farm near town. Mr. G. has done much toward the fruit-growing interest of the county. His orchard comprises about 4,000 trees of different varieties. Has been here thirteen years, and passed through a maelstrom of privations incident to pioneer life. He has lost by death two wives and two children. His present wife was Miss E. J. Jones, of Knoxville, Iowa. He has seven children living.
W. J. GAULT, brick manufacturer, is one of the versatile and enterprising business men of El Dorado. He located here in the spring of 1876, embarking in the furniture trade. For the past few years, has been extensively engaged in the manufacture of brick, in connection with other branches of industry. Mr. Gault is a native of New York, and was born in Washington County, September 6, 1830; was educated and reared in the Empire State. In 1857, came West, settling in Kansas City, where for ten years he pursued the vocation of brick-making. He enrolled Company D of the Kansas City Station Guards, under the auspices of the State militia, of which he was appointed Captain. In August, 1861, entered the Seventy-seventh Missouri Volunteer Infantry, serving three years. Mr. Gault was married in Kansas City to Miss Martha Phillips, of Ray County, Mo. They have had two children - Eliza and William D. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
A. O. GRIGGS, merchant, came to Butler County, settling on the south branch of the Little Walnut in 1870, where for a time he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1879 he engaged in merchandising in El Dorado. Mr. G. is a native of Ohio, and was born in Trumbull County March 17, 1829. At the age of one and a half years he moved with his parents to Ashtabula County. He was educated and reared in his native State. In 1860 he went to Colorado, residing there until 1862, when he enlisted in Company F, afterward Company D, Second Colorado Cavalry. The winter of 1862 he was at Fort Lyon, and the spring of 1863 he came to the States, and was stationed for a time at Hickman Mills. He participated in the Little Blue engagement, and was actively engaged in fighting bushwhackers all through the Southwest until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged at Fort Riley in 1865. Colonel Ford commanded a brigade during the campaign of 1864, after Gen. Price, and had a special escort of twelve men during this campaign. Mr. Griggs was one of this number and took part in the battles of Little Blue, Westport and Newtonia. He resided in Colorado until 1870, when he came to Kansas. Mr. G. is a member of the Masonic order and the G. A. R. He was married October 25, 1874, to Mrs. Nancy Cowley, widow of Lieut. Matthew Cowley, of the Ninth Kansas, who died in Little Rock, Ark., October 7, 1864, while in the United States service. Lieut. Cowley was a man favorably known throughout Southern Kansas for his noble traits. To him many of the pioneers were indebted for assistance in the earlier days of the Southwest. As a just tribute the county of Cowley was named in his honor. Lieut. Cowley was born in Lexington, Ky. When eighteen years of age he removed to Indiana, where he was married to Miss Nancy Johnson, now Mrs. Nancy Griggs, a native of Crawfordsville, Ind. She was born December 24, 1828. Mr. And Mrs. C. soon afterward emigrated to Iowa, settling at Fort Des Moines, being among the first settlers in that part. Mr. C. at that time followed the vocation of school teaching. In October, 1858, they came to Kansas, settling on the Little Walnut, in Butler County; but finding said land belonged to Indians he moved on to the west branch of the Main Walnut, two miles north of where El Dorado now is. The country at that period was in its wild state, no houses or inhabitants within several miles of them, and Indians in abundance. Mrs. G. became quite proficient in their art of medicine, which she has utilized of late years, attaining considerable celebrity throughout the West. The children born to Mr. And Mrs. Cowley were six - William R., born December 26, 1845; James, April 8, 1852; Matthew, October 2, 1854; Mary A., February 25, 1856; Adaline M., May 4, 1858, and Hetty, October 23, 1863.
J. P. GORDON, M. D. and druggist. This prominent member of the medical fraternity was born in Washington County, Penn., 1819. He removed to Ohio when a child, and was raised and received his education in Holmes County, of that State. In 1842, at the age of twenty-three, he married Miss Lydia E. Miller. He removed to Iowa in 1852 and followed his profession there till 1866, when he moved to Lyon County, Kan., living at Emporia until 1869. He then moved to El Dorado, Butler Co., Kan., and engaged in the land agency business until 1872. He then went into the drug trade, and practices a prescription business only. Mr. Gordon's first wife died in 1863, in Iowa, leaving one child - a son - M. G. Gordon. He was married again in 1863 to Miss Martha Rice. His son by the first marriage - M. G. Gordon - is junior member of the firm of Gordon & Son. Our subject has been a member of the Masonic order for twenty-five years, was a charter member of the lodge in El Dorado, and was one of the organizers of the Walnut Valley Bank. He laid out Gordon's Addition to El Dorado in 1872.
J. V. GORDY, brick manufacturer, is a native of Indiana. When two years of age his father, Benjamin, emigrated to Iowa, locating on Raccoon Forks, the site of the present city of Des Moines. He was one of the first settlers in that part. Mr. Gordy was a brickmaker by trade, and he turned out the brick that was used in building the garrison there, the place soon after being known as Ft. Des Moines. J. V. was educated, reared and resided for a number of years at that point. In 1858 the family came to Kansas, settling at Chelsea, Butler Co. After a two years residence he returned to Iowa, and in 1868 located permanently in Kansas at El Dorado. For five years he was engaged in the livery business, after which he turned his attention to brick manufacturing. His brother laid out the original town plat of El Dorado, and was prominently associated with its development for several years. Mr. Gordy is numbered among the progressive men of the town. He was married in Polk County, Iowa, to Miss Amanda Gooding. By this union they have had five children - Rosa, Berdelia and Franklin L.; lost, two. Mr. Gordy is a member of the K. of H.
A. L. L. HAMILTON, attorney, was born in Harrisville, Butler Co., Pa., March 4, 1850, where he was educated and reared until the age of sixteen years. At that age he emigrated to Iowa with his parents, who settled in Davis County. He took up the study of law at Bloomfield, the county seat of Davis County in 1868; afterward pursued his studies at Ottumwa, eventually taking a course in the law department of the State University, and in June, 1871, passed all examination in Des Moines, and was admitted to practice in all the courts of the State. The same year he came to Kansas and located temporarily at Emporia, coming from there to El Dorado on the 24th of April, 1872. He held the office of County Attorney of Butler County during the years of 1877 and 1878. Mr. Hamilton was married in Kansas to Miss Jennie Carr, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two sons - Dillion and Homer.
W. H. HARDIN, farmer and stockraiser, Section 26, P. O. El Dorado: is a native of Wheeling, Va., and was born December 22, 1857; was educated and reared in that State, removing to Kentucky after attaining his majority, where he was married to Nellie Baker. By this union they have one son, W. H. Jr. Mr. Hardin came to Butler County in 1879. By trade is a marble cutter.
CAPT. E. E. HARVEY, the present Register of Deeds for Butler County, was born in Monroe County, Ind., April 1, 1826, and was there educated and reared. Upon the breaking out of the Mexican war he enlisted in the Third Indian Volunteers. Went to Mexico, serving one year in that memorable conflict, in Jim Lane's regiment. In 1855 he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Appanoose County, being one of the pioneers in that part. He was the founder of the town of Belaire, where he resided several years. When Sumter was fired, he was among the first to respond, and did so by organizing a company which was enrolled in the Fifth Kansas Cavalry, but was soon after transferred to the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, and served as Captain until mustered out. His company was letter B, Sixth Cavalry. They were on scouting duty in the Southwest; had several fights with Quantrell and several other noted bushwackers. He was honorably discharged at the close of the conflict, having served three years, three months and eighteen days. After the war he resided in Iowa for several years. In 1872 Mr. Harvey came to Butler, engaging in agricultural pursuits in the southern part of the county, where he continued to reside until elected Recorder in 1879. He is now serving the second term. Politically, he is of strict Republican principles. Early in life he became identified with the Christian Church. He has done much wherever his lot has been cast in furthering the cause of Christianity. For several years he has been an ordained preacher of the Christian denomination. Capt. H. is a member of the G. A. R., and is a charter member of the Masonic lodge in Douglass, Butler County.
A. B. HUBBELL, surgeon dentist, was born in Bridgeport, Conn., August 7, 1855. When A. B. was in his fourth year his father, T. B. Hubbell, with family, removed to Europe, spending several years traveling in England, France, and other countries. The maternal ancestors of A. B. were Strattons, Gen. Tom Thumb (Stratton) being his uncle, with whom he spent three and a half years. His education he received principally in France; was attending school at Geaines, when the France and Prussia war broke out. In his extended travels visited China, remaining in the Orient a considerable time. He took up the study of dentistry in New York city, graduating from the New York College of Dental Surgery in 1872. In 1873 came to Topeka, Kan., where he practiced his profession until 1881, at which time he located in El Dorado. He was married in Topeka, to Miss Nina I. Dickenson. They have one son--Albert B.