|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (AIKMAN - DOUGLASS).
GRANVILLE P. AIKMAN, attorney, was born in Laurel County, Ky., December 27, 1857. In 1871, he came to Kansas with his parents, his father, W. A. Aikman, being one of the pioneers of Benton Township, Butler County, where Granville spent a few years in tilling the soil and attending school. He took up the study of law in Wichita in the office of Sluss & Hatton, and was admitted to practice in 1880, at El Dorado. For a time was editor of the Eagle, a Greenback paper published in El Dorado.
J. T. ANDERSON, lumber dealer, became a resident of Kansas in 1870, settling at Council Grove, where he was engaged in trade. In 1876, he came to El Dorado, engaging in general merchandising, in which branch he was identified up to 1882, and has since been in the lumber trade. Mr. A. is a native of Kentucky; was born in Harrison County, July 1, 1839. In 1862, was a resident of Chillicothe, Mo., where he enlisted in Company A, Forty-fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry; was soon after transferred to the Seventh Missouri Volunteer Infantry, in which he served as Lieutenant until the close of the war, being on duty in the Southwest, the Departments of the Cumberland and Tennessee. After the war he resided several years in Missouri, where he was married to Miss J. K. Denham, of Grundy County. They have two children - Annie and Johnnie. Mr. Anderson is a member of the I. O. O. F.
J. R. APPLEMAN, real estate agent, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 14, 1831. Lived for a time in Indiana, removing from there to Victor, Iowa, where he was in trade for several years. Came to Kansas in 1870, El Dorado being his home the greater part of the time since. He is largely interested in real estate throughout the West. During the war Mr. Appleman served two years in Company E, Sixty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and for a time was in detached service as Provost Marshal.
CHARLES BAKER, farmer and stockraiser, Section 35, P. O. El Dorado, was born in Campbell County, Ky., July 2, 1832, living principally in that State up to coming to Kansas in the spring of 1881. Was married in Cincinnati to Miss Danriaville. They have had four children - Nellie (Mrs. W. H. Hardin), George, Ida and Francis M.
S. P. BARNES, butcher and packer is a native of Vermont and was born in Orange County, November 6, 1829. Was principally reared and educated in New Hampshire. In 1860, came West, settling in West Union, Iowa. In 1866, came to Kansas, settling at Emporia, where he resided up to 1870, when he came to El Dorado. For three years operated a lumber yard, after which he turned his attention to butchering and packing. Mr. Barnes is one of the pioneers and has been foremost among the enterprising men of El Dorado. He was married in Iowa, to Miss Ellen VanDorn. By this union they have five children - Frank, Allie, Olive, Rollie and Noble.
A. BASSETT, a native of Windsor County, Vt., born July 27, 1823. Removed to Albany, N. Y., when young, where he received his education. In 1852 came West, lived in Michigan thirteen years when he removed to West Union, Iowa, where he was engaged in the drug trade for eleven years. He came to Kansas in 1876, living at Topeka for a year and came to El Dorado, Kan., 1877. Mr. Bassett is a Mason and a charter member of the Chapter in El Dorado. He was married in New York to Miss Mary A. Robinson. They have two children - Laura and John M. In the spring of 1883 Mr. B. was elected Mayor of El Dorado.
W. B. BAXTER, liveryman, is a native of London, Canada West, and was born May 18, 1849, was educated and reared in his native country. He became a resident of Butler County, Kan., the spring of 1871, locating on a farm on Hickory Creek. Unfortunately he was in the way of the cyclone of 1871 which completely demolished his residence and otherwise damaged his property. In 1877 engaged in the livery business in El Dorado. Mr. B. is a member of the Masonic Order, Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was married in Indiana to Miss Mary Bech; they have one son - Alva C. Previous to coming to Kansas Mr. B. resided in Indiana for a time.
CHARLES O. BEARDSLEY, merchant, is a native of New York and was born in Franklin County, March 30, 1840. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry and served three years, being principally under Gen. Burnside. After being discharged located in Tennessee where he followed farming for seven years, thence came to Madison County, Ill., and after a six year residence came to Kansas in 1878, settling in Prospect Township, Butler County; for a few years followed the stock trade, after which he embarked in mercantile pursuits in El Dorado. He was married in Tennessee to Miss Sarah White; they have five children - Mary E., Sarah J., John H., Stephen A. and Pearlie. Mr. B. is a member of the G. A. R.
S. E. BLACK, attorney, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Greenville, Bond County, where he was educated and reared. In 1864, he entered the army, serving until the close of the war. He took up the study of law in his native town, and was admitted to the bar in Cowley County in March 28, 1873. He came to Kansas in October 29, 1872, and his residence in El Dorado dates from October 29, 1872. In April 30, 1874, he was appointed Probate Judge of Butler County by Governor Thomas A. Osborn, after which he was elected to the same office three consecutive terms. Judge Black is numbered among the leading lights of the Butler County bar. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married in Milwaukee, Wis., to Miss Fannie L. DeGrasse, an estimable lady of rare musical talent. They have one daughter - Gracie L.
DANIEL BOYDEN, Deputy County Recorder, is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in Lowell, September 10, 1840. At an early age he removed to Boston, where he was educated and reared, and from there went to New Orleans and eventually located in Mason County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming and mercantile pursuits for several years. He enlisted in Company B., Seventy-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving through the greater portion of the Rebellion. On the 17th of September, 1871, he came to Kansas, settling in Benton Township, Butler County, engaging in farming. For two terms he was Trustee of Benton Township, and for the past three years has been Deputy Register of Deeds. Mr. B. is Adjutant of the W. H. L. Wallace Post, No. 66, G. A. R. He is one of the popularly known men of the county.
MILTON BRADLEY, County Treasurer, was born in Ontario County, N. Y., March 17, 1833. At an early age he came West with his parents; here Milton was educated and reared., his boyhood days being spent in tilling the soil. In 1867 he came to Kansas, locating in Butler County, and turned his attention to farming, pursuing that vocation up to 1879, when he was chosen by the Republicans as their candidate for County Treasurer. He was elected, and the autumn of 1882, re-elected without opposition from any party. Mr. B. has proven himself an efficient official, and occupies one of the most important offices within the gift of the people. Otherwise officially he has been County Commissioner and held minor offices. He was married in Michigan to Miss S. J. Kline, of that State. By this union they have two children - George and Lydia.
D. M. BRONSON, attorney and real estate agent, is a native of New York, and was born in Livingston County, October 11, 1837; was educated and reared in his native State. For nine years he was a resident of Springfield, Ill. He was officially connected with the Wabash and also the Great Western Railroad. In 1866, he came to Kansas, locating at Augusta. Soon after his arrival he was appointed County Attorney by Sam Woods. He has held every county office, except treasurer, and has been continually identified with county affairs. For several years he has been doing an extensive business in real estate. He was married in Illinois to Miss M. E. Cooper, of Morgan County. They have three children - William, Lewis and Kate. Mrs. Bronson is a lady of considerable literary ability. To her the compiler of the general history of Butler County is indebted for much information. Mr. B. is a member of the Masonic Order. He was also a member of the Legislature from his county in 1879.
J. G. BURNER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 33, P. O. El Dorado, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Knox County, October 25, 1840. He was educated and reared in that State, coming to Kansas in the spring of 1871. He has since been identified with the stock interests of Butler County. He was married in Knox County, Ill., to Miss Martha J. Shaver, March 24, 1864. They have six children - Alta H., Frank B., Katie G., Oscar G., Judge D. and Ovid B.
J. S. CALDWELL, restaurateur, was born in Erie County, Pa., February 17, 1836; was there reared and educated. For a number of years he resided in McDonough County, Ill., coming from there to Kansas in 1876. In 1877, came to El Dorado, where he has since been in trade. Mr. C. was married in Illinois, to Miss Jane Young. They have four children - Edith, Morell, Agnes and Myrtle.
J. W. CAMMERON, attorney, came to El Dorado, in May, 1870, engaging in the real estate business, in which line he still continues. Mr. C. is a native of Ohio, and was born in Logan County. When young, removed to Southern Illinois where he was educated. In 1862, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Tenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was Second Lieutenant in the same on entering the service, and was soon promoted to First Lieutenant. Served two years. For several years was a resident of Carthage, Mo., where he studied law and was admitted to the bar and prominently identified officially. Mr. C. is favorably known throughout the West.
IRA CARPENTER, merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Franklin County, March 18, 1818; was educated and reared in the Buckeye State, following mercantile pursuits for a number of years. The spring of 1869, came to Butler County, Kan., and for three years farmed near El Dorado; aside from that has been in business in town since. He was one of the victims of the 1871 tornado, and was considerably damaged financially by it. Mr. Carpenter was married in Ohio, to Miss Charlotte Broman, a native of Delaware County. By this union they have had eleven children - Flora M., George R., Mary E., Lodora, Martha, Annie, Celia, Albert, Cerena; lost two - Laura J., aged seven years; Charlie, aged three years. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
JOHN M. CARPENTER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, P. O. El Dorado, is a native of Kentucky and was born in Garrard County, October 29, 1842; was educated and reared in his native State. In 1861 he enlisted in the Seventh Kentucky Cavalry, being mustered in as Sergeant and discharged at the expiration of his three years' term as Second Lieutenant. Mr. C. came to Kansas in the fall of 1870, locating where he now resides. He was married in Kentucky to Miss Fannie Reid of that State. By this union they have six children, James, Reid, Samuel, Willie, Ora and an infant. Mr. C. has been Assessor of the township, and held other offices. He is a member of the G. A. R.
E. E. CARR, attorney, was born near Bellevue, Jackson County, Iowa, September 2, 1858; was reared in the Hawkeye State and was principally educated at Lenox Collegiate Institute, Hopkinton, Iowa. He commenced the study of law in the State University of Iowa, of which he is a graduate. Mr. Carr came to El Dorado in the summer of 1881. He was married at Anamosa, Iowa, July 6, 1881, to Miss Della Metcalf. They have one son - Joseph, Jr. Mr. Carr is a member of the K. of P. and A. O. U. W. He is numbered among the successful attorneys of the county.
T. O. CASTLE, Deputy County Clerk, is a native of the State of New York, and was born Dec. 9, 1845; at an early age removed with parents to Ohio, locating in Monroe County where he was educated and reared. During the Rebellion served nineteen months in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mr. C. came to El Dorado in 1882.
E. H. CLARK, the 'Good Luck' grocer, came to Butler County, Kansas, in 1869, engaging in farming near El Dorado, in which he continued for a few years, after which he located in town; for several years was in the employ of J. H. Ewing. The year 1882 he built the store he now occupies and established the 'Good Luck' grocery house. Mr. Clark is a native of New York and was born in Westchester County, January 20, 1827; was educated and reared in the Empire State; for a period of years was proprietor of a grocery establishment in New York City. He has been twice married, first in New York to Miss Lavina B. Romer, now deceased. By this marriage has four children, Charles, Geo. W., Frank and Wm. H. He was married in El Dorado to Mrs. Mary J. Long, who for over nine years was Postmistress of the El Dorado office. Mrs. Clark by her former marriage had four children, Jennie, Robert, Lizzie and Muthen. Mr. And Mrs. C. are members of the M. E. Church.
J. D. CONNER, farmer and stockraiser, Section 10, P. O. El Dorado, is one of the earliest and best known citizens of Butler County. He is a native of the County Kerry, Ireland, and was born June 20, 1837; when nine years of age came to the United States with his parents, who settled at Portsmouth, N. H., where J. D. spent his youthful days, and became proficient in the 'art preservative' in the office of the N. H. Gazette, the oldest journal in America. In 1857, as a journeyman printer, he drifted westward, arriving in Wyandotte, Kan., in April. For a short time he held 'cases' on a small paper that was started in Quindaro, and sojourned for awhile in Johnson County. The spring of 1858 he came down into what is now Butler County, taking the claim which is now his home. His farm was the first regularly entered in the county. Mr. Conner turned his attention to clearing up his land, and has since been identified with its growth and development. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in the Ninth Kansas, serving through the war until April, 1865, when he was honorably discharged as First Lieutenant. In 1866-7 was a member of the State Legislature. Through his efforts the boundary lines of Butler County were settled, and to him the citizens are indebted for its mammoth size. Mr. Conner politically has always been a Republican. He has been twice married, his first wife being deceased. Her maiden name was Marcilla Fenno. By this marriage has two children - Warren and Alice. His present wife was formerly Miss Mary Petrie, of Lawrence, Kan. They have one daughter, Addie C. He is a member of the K. O H. and the G. A. R.
EDWIN COWLES, M. D., was born in Claremont, H. H., December 24, 1829. He was fitted for college at the New London Literary and Scientific Institution, New London, N. H., after which he spent two years at Brown University. For a few years he followed teaching in the local academies, eventually turning his attention to the study of medicine. After examining the merits of the schools of homoeopathy and allopathy, he chose the former. Becoming conversant with the rudiments of his adopted calling under the tutorship of a resident physician of his county, he then took a course at the University of Vermont, then came West, settling at Iron Ridge, Wis., where he practiced for a time, going from there to Chicago, where he attended lectures at the Hahnemann Medical College, graduating in 1866. In June, 1868, he came to Kansas, taking up his abode adjoining the town-site of El Dorado. He taught school for four consecutive terms, being the first teacher of the El Dorado school, and has since been identified with its educational interests. In connection with his practice the doctor operates a fine farm adjoining town. He is an active worker in the Baptist Church with which he has been officially associated for several years. He was married at Iron Ridge, Wis., to Miss Sarah McDuffee. They have four children - Leman T., Clara S., Ollie J. and Edgar A. While working in a mill at Claremont, H. H., in 1850, he met with an accident by which he was deprived of his left arm.
J. L. CUPPLES, sheep raiser, Section 4, P. O. El Dorado, was born in Mifflin County, Pa., December 20, 1839; was there raised and learned the carpenter's trade, after which he went to California, pursuing his vocation on the Pacific slope a few years. In 1870 became a resident of Butler County, being one of the pioneers in the vicinity of El Dorado. In connection with his extensive sheep industry he does a large amount of constructing and building. Mr. Cupples is a member of the Masonic Order, and is a charter member of the Lodge in El Dorado. He was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Lizzie Long. They have eight children by this union - Ashley, Jeanette, Samuel, Dora, Ralph, Fred, Robert and Jay.
C. H. DAVIES, M. D., is a native of Ohio, and was born in Miami County, February 4, 1853; was principally reared and educated in Miami County, where he took up the study of medicine, graduating from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pa., in 1877. The same year he came to Kansas, locating in El Dorado. Dr. Davies is numbered among the representative practitioners of Southern Kansas. He is at present physician for Butler County, and U. S. Examining Surgeon. He was married in Ottawa, La Salle Co., Ill., to Miss Marcia A. Leland, of that city. They have two children - Arthur J., and Charles Leland.
C. B. DAUGHTERS, attorney at law and Justice of the Peace, was born in Lee County, Iowa, March 20, 1848. When Six years of age he removed with his parents to Van Buren County, Iowa, where his parents resided until 1863, at which time they located in Scotland County, Mo. C. B. received the benefits of the common schools, after which he took a course in the State University at Kirksville, Mo., graduating in 1873. The same year he came to Kansas, taking up his abode at Hiawatha, remaining two years in the capacity of principal of the school. For a year he was also identified with the educational interests of Troy, Kan. In 1876-77 attended law department of Michigan University, at Ann Arbor. During his leisure time while teaching he studied law, and in 1877 he was admitted to the bar of Doniphan County. In 1877, he came to El Dorado, and soon after his arrival he was elected Justice of the Peace, the duties of which office he still continues to discharge. He was married in Brown County, Kan., to Miss Carrie M. Herbert, 1877. Mr. Daughters is a member of the Masonic Order.
JACOB DE COU, grain merchant, is a native of Canada West, and was born at Port Dover, in September, 1843. In 1849, removed with parents to the United States, settling in Winneshiek County, Iowa, where they resided until 1855, when they located in Fillimore County, Minn. For several years Jacob was a resident of Michigan, and came from that State to Kansas in 1870, taking up his abode in Butler County. For a few years was engaged in farming, after which he turned his attention to the hay and grain trade. His trade in hay has been extensive, having Government contracts down in New Mexico. Mr. D. is one of the substantial pioneers of the county. He was married in Michigan to Miss Emma Woods. They have one son - Fred. Mr. D. is a member of the Masonic Order.
JAMES DODWELL, saddler, was born in the State of New York, in 1846; his parents dying when he was young, he was left to his own resources. At an early age Kalamazoo County, Mich., became his home where, in 1861, he enlisted in the Fifty-sixth Illinois, Volunteer Infantry, as drummer; on being mustered out, re-enlisted in the First Illinois Light Artillery as a private, serving eighteen months when he was discharged on account of wounds received at Corinth; his term in the service was with Sherman's army; resided in Michigan until 1871, when he came to El Dorado, engaging in business in 1876; has been identified among the business men of the town, and he is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R., Wallace Post of El Dorado. He was married in Kalamazoo, Mich., in the fall of 1874 to Miss Rebecca De Cou. They have three children - Louis, Lona and Lee.
W. H. DOUGLASS, Sheriff, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., September 14, 1840; was there reared and educated, his early life being that of a farmer boy. In 1861 he was among the first to enlist and as a private in the Eighth New York Cavalry, went to the front serving through to the close; he participated in 62 engagements, having many close calls: a great portion of the time was a scout for General Custer. After the war he returned to New York, turning his attention to farming, and for a period was engaged in compiling county histories of the Empire State. In 1870 he came to Kansas locating in the vicinity of Douglass in the south part of Butler County, here he followed farming until the fall of 1879 when he was elected to the office of Sheriff by the Republican party and in 1882 was re-elected. Mr. D. makes an able and competent official. He is a K. T. Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F., the K. of P. and G. A. R. He was married in New York, to Miss Mary M. Reaves; they have two children - Amelia T. and Earle M.
J. W. DOUGLASS, deceased, brother of the above, came to Kansas in July, 1868, locating on what is now the town site of Douglass in Butler County; from his name the town derived its name. He selected the location and the choice was a good one, as it is one of the most desirable in the State. Mr. Douglass was closely identified with the development of that locality and was one of the most public spirited men in the county. His death occurred in 1872. He was a native of Wayne County, N. Y., and entered the Army at the same time his brother did and in the same company and regiment. He was taken prisoner and spent a year in Andersonville and Salisbury; when released he weighed but sixty-seven pounds. Mr. Douglass was the pioneer merchant and first Postmaster of Douglass.