|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (OWEN - YOUNG).
C. J. OWEN, merchant, is a native of Pennsylvania and was born in Bradford County, March 30, 1823. Was educated and reared in that State. For a number of years he was a resident of Henry County, Mo., coming from there to Kansas in 1868, settling in Butler County three miles south of El Dorado. He pursued farming for several years. Mr. Owen was one of the pioneers of this part of Butler County, and is favorably known by the old timers. He was married in Pennsylvania to Betsey Ferryman, a native of that State. They have two children - Frank and Emma.
WILLIAM PRICE, fruit grower, Section 5, P. O. El Dorado, was born in Cromwell County, England, March 12, 1843. In 1858 came to the United States, settling at Elgin, Ill. In 1860 he came to Kansas. At the breaking out of the late war he enlisted in the Fourteenth Kansas, participating in a number of the early engagements in the Southwest. Was on the Red River expedition, serving two years. After the war he spent a few years at the State Normal School in emporia. In the spring of 1870 he came to El Dorado and took charge of the school. He was principal two years, and has been identified with the educational interests of the county since. In 1876 he turned his attention to horticulture, in which he has been eminently successful. He was married in Kansas to Miss Emma W. Gunn. They have two children - Helen E. and Nellie. Mr. P. is a member of the G. A. R.
NATHAN RECTOR, proprietor Ohio House, is a native of Ohio and was born in Pickaway County, October 5, 1839; was there educated and reared. Came to Kansas in 1873, engaging in farming in Butler County. Settled in El Dorado in 1876; was in the restaurant business until 1878, when he became proprietor of the Ohio House. Mr. R. was married in Ohio to Miss Mary E. Duball. They have had nine children, seven of whom are living - Ella, Essie, Dora, Vonnie M., Lena, Blanchie and Reubie. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A. L. REDDEN, attorney and president of the Exchange Bank; is a native of Delaware and was born in Sussex County, December 19, 1844. He was reared and educated in his native State, taking up the study of law in Georgetown, where in due course of time he was admitted to practice. He was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney in Essex County, the duties of which he discharged for three years. In 1870 he came West, locating in El Dorado in January, 1871, and opened a law office, and since that date has been identified with the legal affairs of Butler and adjoining counties. He has been County Attorney and otherwise officially honored in the county. He has been prominently associated with the Republican party, being a delegate in 1876 to the National Convention; delegate to all the State conventions since 1874, and in 1882 was chosen chairman of the Republican State Central Committee, a position he now occupies. When the Exchange Bank changed management, he was selected as its president. Mr. R. is a lawyer of ability, a business man of excellent judgment and a public-spirited citizen. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM REED, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, P. O. El Dorado; is a native of Ohio, and was born in Stark County, August 24, 1825. When eighteen years of age he removed to Indiana locating in St. Jo County, where he resided until coming to Kansas in the spring of 1878. Mr. Reed is one of the stanch farmers of El Dorado Township. He has been twice married, first to Miss Susan Orndorf, of Indiana, now deceased. By this union he has had seven children - Rebecca, James, Sophia, Mary A., Ella, Jacob, and Martha E. His present wife was formerly Miss Louisa Sairfos.
W. L. RICHARDSON, liveryman, came to Butler County in 1872, and after tilling the soil for three years, engaged in the livery business at El Dorado. Mr. R. is a native of New York; was born in Chautauqua County October 29, 1844; came to Rock County, Wis., with his parents when about one year of age; his father, J. K., being one of the pioneers of that county. W. L. was there educated and reared, and for a number of years was engaged in handling farm machinery throughout the Northwestern country from Janesville, Wis. He was married in Rock County, Wis., to Miss Mary K. Smith. They have five children - Florence, Archie, Irwin, Lulu and Herbert. Mr. R. is a member of the Masonic Order.
NATE ROBERSON, 'the Transfer Man,' came to Kansas in 1865 and for several years was in the employ of the Southwestern Stage Company, as driver. In 1870 he was head-quartered at El Dorado, and plied over the route leading to Florence, Winfield, Wellington, Wichita, Arkansas City, etc. In 1877 he located permanently in El Dorado, where he has since controlled the transfer business. Mr. R. is a native of Missouri, and was born in Maries County, December 16, 1848; was educated and reared in his native State. When fifteen years of age he entered the Confederate Army, serving in the Fourth Missouri until the close. He was married in Winfield, Kan., to Miss Maggie E. Mentch. They have five children - Jessie, Ernst, Evert, Leonard and an infant.
JOSEPH C. ROSENBERG, clothier, was born in New York City, June 17, 1855; lived there but two years, when his parents removed to New Brunswick, New Jersey, where he was reared and educated, and from there removed to Chicago in 1872 where he resided until coming to El Dorado in 1882. Mr. Rosenberg has the leading exclusive clothing house in Butler County, and although but a short time in El Dorado, has built up a solid trade.
W. A. SALLEE, Justice of the Peace and real estate agent, one of the pioneers and best known men of the county, is the subject of this sketch. He became a resident of El Dorado in 1868, at which time he built an office and turned his attention to real estate. Mr. Sallee was interested in making some of the first sales in the county. In company with D. M. Bronson he gave the county the first general advertising. The spring of 1869 he was appointed Register of Deeds. At the November election the same year he was elected to the office. The autumn of 1870 he resigned. He has been Justice of the Peace since 1869. Judge Sallee is a native of Kentucky and was born in Pulaski County, May 15, 1816. In 1837 he came to Missouri where he resided until 1857, when he returned to Kentucky, which was his home until he came to Kansas. While a resident of Missouri he was Sheriff and otherwise identified. He was admitted to the bar of Butler County, Kansas, soon after coming to El Dorado.
S. H. SAPPINGTON, blacksmith, was born in Washington County, Mo., March 23, 1848. At an early age his parents removed to Scott County, Ill., where he was educated and learned his trade. In 1864 enlisted in Company K, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry serving until the close of the war. He was married in Jacksonville, Ill., to Miss E. J. Dickenson, now deceased. By this union has three children - Beulah M., Lena C. and Clara. Mr. S. came to Kansas, locating in El Dorado the spring of 1878, and has since been one of its progressive citizens. He is a member of the Masonic Order and the G. A. R.
J. M. SATTERTHWAITE, editor and proprietor of the El Dorado Press, came to El Dorado in 1870. For several years was foreman in the Walnut Valley Times office. In 1877 established the Press. Mr. S. is a strong advocate of the temperance cause, is an able journalist, and publishes a good newspaper. He is a native of Indiana, and was born in Washington County February 21, 1850. Was educated, reared and became proficient as a compositor in Wilmington, Delaware.
C. H. SELIG, druggist, came to El Dorado in 1870, embarking in business in 1872. Mr. S. is a native of Germany and was born in the city of Hamburg, February 17, 1849. In 1860, came to the United States with parents, locating in Lawrence, Kansas, which was his home for several years, and where he became proficient in pharmacy. Mr. Selig has been a vigorous worker in putting forward El Dorado's interests, and is one of the solid men of the place. Has been Councilman and otherwise officially identified. Is a member of the K. of H. and charter member of the Lodge in El Dorado. In 1861, enlisted as drummer boy in Company F Second Kansas Cavalry. At that time was eleven years and eleven months old, being the youngest boy in the service as far as ascertained. He participated in the battles of Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and other engagements. His father, W. H. Selig, was in the same company. At Poison Springs was taken prisoner and held two weeks by the Confederates. After serving three years and two months was honorably discharged.
ALVAH SHELDEN, the present editor and publisher of the Times, is yet a young man, but has had his full share of the incidents of frontier life. Born in Wisconsin, on January 15, 1849, he moved a few years later to near San Antonio, Texas, where his father was engaged in farming. Here for a time all went well, but as the troubles which led to the war of the Rebellion came on, Mr. Sheldon, senior, who was an avowed Free-state man, received many threats of vengeance to be inflicted unless he changed his views or residence. These were regarded as idle words, and Sheldon remained unterrified until one bright morning in 1859, on answering a call at the door he was shot dead - for no cause save fealty to his government. News of this tragedy reached Mr. Vaught, a brother-in-law of the murdered man and an early settler of Butler County, and he started at once for St. Louis intending to take the steamer down the river. Yellow fever had, however, broken out in violent form and the trip was postponed until the following spring, when the trip was made overland across Indian Territory. After leaving the Indian nation, Vaught was the subject of a call from the vigilance committee, but was enabled to pass muster, and securing Mrs. Sheldon and the family, consisting of three boys and three girls, returned to near Chelsea in this county. Thence the subject of this sketch moved with his family to Edgar County, Ill., where he received his education. Eight years later the family were again in Kansas on a farm at the South Fork of the Cottonwood. Here Mr. Sheldon farmed one year, after which he removed to Chelsea, in this county, and continued his labors in support of his mother and sisters until 1873. Then with the adventurous spirit of boyhood, he made a prospecting trip through Indian Territory, Texas and Arkansas, but finally decided that no place was as good as Butler County. Returning he soon accepted a position in the Exchange Bank of El Dorado. While in this position he was elected County Superintendent of Public instruction, holding the office four years, during which he was appointed Postmaster. He married, in January, 1877, Miss May Lamb, of Douglass, and has now three children to perpetuate his name. Of his public life, particularly since his purchase of the Times, the county records and the columns of his paper furnish the best criterion, and we need only say that in the constantly increasing duties of his life he has shown that vigor and ability which is so cordially welcomed in this land of manly men and insures its possessor all for which he may rationally seek.
PROF. J. W. SHIVELY, the present Superintendent of Public Instruction for Butler County, is a native of Missouri, was born in Carroll County, September 9, 1845. He was principally educated and reared in his native State. In 1863 he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-third Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He was soon promoted to First Lieutenant, and was Acting Adjutant at the close of the war. He was also Regimental and Brigade Clerk. Was with Sherman's army and participated in the famous march to the sea. His father, John W. Shively, was a veteran in the Kansas First. J. W. resided in Missouri until 1867, when he came to Kansas, locating in Miami County, attended the State Normal school at Emporia, Kas., in 1868. In 1875 he became a resident of Butler County. He organized the school at Douglass, which he taught two terms. For four terms he was Principal of the Augusta school, is now, 1883, serving his second term as County Superintendent, the choice of the Republican party. Prof. S. is numbered among the most efficient educators in the State. He is a Mason and Odd Fellow and a member of the I. O. G. T., also of the Christian Church. His wife was formerly Miss Libbie Admanson, of Numa, Iowa.
S. L. SHOTWELL was born in Genesee County, N. Y., November 21, 1829. Was reared and educated in the Empire State. For a number of years pursued the vocation of school teaching in New York, with marked success, as testified by a gold medal and other testimonials. In 1869 he came to Butler County, Kan., locating at Douglass. He surveyed and platted the town site of Douglass, and has done considerable in the line of surveying throughout the county. He was Superintendent of Public Instruction for one term. He took the lead in organizing the County Agricultural Society, of which he holds the office of secretary. He was the organizer and one of the incorporators and directors of the Exchange Bank of El Dorado, of which he was cashier for three years. At present Mr. S. is devoting his time to the stock trade. He has a ranch of 880 acres on Sections 15 and 22, El Dorado Township. It has many natural advantages, besides being on the line of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. This extensive farm and country seat is known as Schonbolm, a name given by Mr. S. He was married in New York, to Miss Sarah S. Underhill, of Westchester County.
J. W. SIMPSON, dealer in flour and feed, grain and seeds, was born in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., Ind., June 13, 1840. He grew to manhood in that State, and in 1861 enlisted in the Twelfth United States Infantry, Sike's Brigade, Fitz John Porter's Corps. Served sixteen months and two weeks, and was in the seven days' fight before Richmond, and other noted engagements. He was severely wounded in the eye, by a piece of flying shell, June 21, 1863, and draws a pension of four dollars per month for the same. He emigrated to Kansas, April 20, 1865, living in Topeka two years, in Burlington two years, in Eureka twelve years, and then coming to El Dorado, where he now resides. Mr. Simpson has seen many ups and downs in his life, and when first coming to Kansas worked at the stone mason trade till he had a start, and then dealt in city property till it decreased in value to such an extent that he went under; then commenced in the grain and feed business on a capital of thirty-five dollars, and is now doing well, and owns his business house on Main street. Mr. Simpson has been twice married, first to Miss Mary L. Ferry, now deceased, by whom he had three children - Martha Ella and Robert B., living, and Joseph Lester, deceased. His second wife was Mrs. Dora Stanley, daughter of Michael Ott, and a native of Fillboeh, Wurtemberg, Germany. She was married to William Stanley, a native of Attleboro, Mass., in 1851, by whom she had two children, Mary, living, and Charley, who died in 1869. William Stanley served five years in the army, three months in the Ninth Indiana, and the balance of the time in the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, and was fifty years old at the time of his death.
E. N. SMITH, attorney, is a native of Ohio and was born in Monroe County, April 24, 1846; was there educated and reared. In 1862, he enlisted in the Ninety-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C, serving one year. He took up the study of law and was admitted to the bar in Ohio. For a time resided in Indiana, coming from there to El Dorado in 1877. During his residence in Butler County has been County Attorney and otherwise officially identified. Mr. S. is a K. T. Mason and has filled the offices in his lodge of H. P. and E. C. He was married, in Ohio, to Miss Matilda Ford, of Monroe County.
G. W. STINSON, liveryman, is a native of Ohio and was born in Ross County, February 22, 1844, was reared in his native State and came to Kansas in 1869, settled at Chelsea, Butler County. In 1879, settled in El Dorado. Mr. S. has been engaged in the stock trade principally since coming to Kansas. In 1869, he enlisted in Company F. Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served three months and re-enlisted, serving in all about fifteen months. He was married in Kansas to Miss Jane Rayburn. They have five children - Annie, Archie, Dell, John M. and Mary.
D. S. STORY, grocer, was born in Perry County, Ohio, July 8, 1835. In 1862, he was a recruit of Indiana where he enlisted in Company H. Eighty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry; in a short time was transferred to the Twenty-third Missouri Volunteer Infantry and assigned the position of Lieutenant, which he held one year when he returned to the Eighty-second Indiana and was placed in command as Captain of Company H, serving until the close of the war. He was with Gen. Sherman on his march to the sea, and on active duty the greater portion of the time. Capt. Story came to Butler County in 1876, and turned his attention to sheep husbandry soon after. He is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the G. A. R., and Major of the Seventh Kansas Militia. He was married, in Indiana, to Miss Cordelia Wadsworth. They have seven children living - Cyrus l., Enoch, Clara, Rosalia, Ella, Olive M. and Reuben.
E. D. STRATFORD, Probate Judge, was born in Vevay, Switzerland County, Ind., October 15, 1852; at an early age he removed to Tipton County, Ind., where he spent his earlier days, receiving the benefits of the common schools. He afterward attended Howard College at Kokomo, Ind. Before attaining his eighteenth year he turned his attention to school teaching, which he pursued for a time in Indiana. In 1872, he came to Kansas, locating temporarily at Neosho Falls; the same year he came to Butler County, which has since been his home. For several years followed teaching and attended for a few terms the State Normal School at Emporia. He spent his leisure hours reading law and was admitted to practice in Butler County in 1878. In March, 1879, he opened a law office in Douglass. The autumn of 1880 he came before the people as a candidate for Probate Judge on the Republican ticket. He was elected, and in 1882 re-elected by a large majority. During his sojourn in Douglass he was Police Judge and City Clerk. He is at this date, 1883, Chairman of the Republican Central Committee. Judge Stratford is a Master Mason, an Odd Fellow and a member of the K. of P.
C. P. STRONG, the present county clerk of Butler County, is a native of New York, and was born in Oswego County May 7, 1844. Resided in his native State until about sixteen years of age when he enlisted in the Twenty-fourth N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, serving two years, then veteranized, and went to the front again as First Lieutenant of the One Hundred and Eighty-fourth N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until the close of the war, being in the department of the Potomac, Shenandoah and James. On retiring from the army he located at Akron, Ohio, for a time, and from there came to Quincy, Ill., which was his abiding place for two years. In February, 1869, he located in Butler County, Kan., turning his attention to agricultural pursuits, in which he continued until elected to his present position at the fall election of 1879. In 1882 he came before the people the second time, being re-elected by a large majority, which is sufficient evidence of his popularity. Politically Mr. Strong has always been a Republican. He is a Mason, and belongs to the A. F. and A. M., R. A. and Commandery of K. T. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. He was married in Quincy, Ill., to Miss Stella A. Streeter of that city. By this union they have had four children - Nealy H., Mary A., Payson E. (deceased), and Pearl E.
HENRY T. SUMNER, attorney, came to Kansas in 1867, and settled at Baxter Springs, established the Baxter Springs Herald, a Republican organ and the first paper south of Ft. Scott in the State. After successfully conducting the Herald one year he sold out; then turned his attention to law practice until 1870, when he became a resident of El Dorado. Mr. Sumner is a native of New York, born in Madison County, June 28, 1834; was reared, educated and took up the study of law. In 1854 he came West and located in Coldwater, Mich., where under the preceptorship of Gov. G. A. Coe he continued the law studies. Subsequently he removed to Nashville, where in 1857 he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court at Nashville; was residing in Nashville, Ill., in 1861, at which time he enlisted in Company E. Sixth- fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. For three years was on detached duty as clerk in the Adjutant General's Office, after which he was transferred by order of Gen. Rosecrans to take charge of the military postoffice in the Department of the Mississippi. This important duty he discharged for one year. Was prompted Captain of First Regiment Alabama Cavalry, U. S. V. for gallant conduct at the battle of Corinth. Upon being discharged he went to Minnesota and again enlisted, and when mustered out, January 25, 1865, was in the Quartermaster's department in New Orleans. He continued, however, in the department until the forces reached Mobile. Mr. Sumner participated in seventeen general engagements. He was married in Illinois to Nancy N. Free, of St. Clair County. They have three children - Charles P., Georgie S., Alta R. Mr. Sumner is S. V. Commander of Wallace Post G. A. R. of El Dorado.
JOHN TETER, stockman, Section 31, P. O. El Dorado. No man in Butler County is more favorably known than 'Uncle John' as he is generally called by his friends. Mr. Teter is a native of West Virginia and was born in Lewis, now Upshur County, March 19, 1825. He was educated and reared to manhood in his native State. For a few years he was a resident of Scotland County, Mo., coming from there to Kansas in 1865, locating in Coffey County, where for several years he was extensively engaged in stock raising. Selling out his interests in Coffey County he went to the Pacific slope with the intention of locating there. After a temporary sojourn in California, Oregon, Washington Territory, and other parts, he returned to Kansas, settling in Sycamore Township, Butler County, in the autumn of 1868. In 1872 he removed to where he now resides. He was married in Virginia to Miss Lucinda McCoy, in September, 1845. They have eight children - Washington, Virginia, James, Barbara, Mary, Martha, Louisa, and Delia. He is a member of the Masonic order, and the Methodist Episcopal Church. The firm of Teter & Son sell annually from $12,000 to $15,000 worth of cattle. Their Butler County ranch contains over 800 acres; besides they own 4,160 acres of grazing land in Greenwood County.
JAMES THOMAS, stockman, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Lawrence County, November 24, 1835. When seven years of age removed with parents to St. Joe, Mo., where he was educated and resided until eighteen years of age, when he went to California, remaining up to 1862, when he became a resident of Butler County, Kansas, settling at Chelsea. In 12863 enlisted in Company C. Eleventh Kansas, and served until the close of the war. Mr. Thomas has been identified with the stock interest of the county the greater portion of the time during his residence here. For four years was Sheriff, and has held minor offices. He was married in Kansas to Miss Mary Strickland. They have one son - Centennial, born in 1876. Mr. T. is a member of the G. A. R.
G. W. TOLLE, merchant, became identified with the commercial interests of El Dorado in 1872, at which time he engaged in trade in company with H. H. Gardner, the style of the firm being Gardner & Tolle up to 1882, when the former withdrew. Mr. T. is a native of Illinois, and was born in Old Nelson, October 19, 1849. Was educated and reared in his native State. He was married in Butler County, Kansas, to Miss Mary E. Newbry, of Janesville, Wis. They have three children - Liddie A., Ralph P., and George W., Jr. Mr. T. is a member of the Masonic Order.
W. S. TRENT restaurateur, has attained a well merited reputation as a first-class caterer to the public. Established business at El Dorado in 1880. Mr. Trent was born in Platte County, Md., December 1, 1852. In 1854 his parents removed to Leavenworth County, Kansas, where W. S. was educated and brought up. In latter years has been a resident of Neosho, Montgomery, and Barton counties, following school teaching, farming and other pursuits. He was married in Barton County, Kansas, May 13, 1880, to Miss Mary P. Allison, an estimable lady. They have one daughter - Jennettie M.
MARTIN VAUGHT, the subject of this sketch, came to Kansas in March, 1857, locating at Hull's Grove, in Jefferson County. In August, 1857, came to Butler County, being one of the pioneers. He located at Chelsea, and was identified with the early development of that locality. Mr. V. was honored with all the county offices in the early days of the county, and later has been Commissioner, and otherwise officially recognized. There are but few residents now living who came up to the county when Mr. V. made his advent. For a number of years has been engaged in the nursery business, residing in El Dorado. Mr. V. is a native of Illinois; was born in Edgar County, January 8, 1835; was reared in his native State; was married in Illinois to Miss Eliza McReynolds. They have eight children - Cora, John B., Bessie, Fred, Alice, Robert, Ida and Ethel. Mr. V. is a member of the K. of H. and a Mason. While a resident of Jefferson County was Second Lieutenant of a company which vocated the Free-soil doctrine.
DR. ALLEN WHITE, deceased. Among the pioneers of Butler County, who live only in the memory of the people, there are none more volubly spoken of in praise than the late Allen White, M. D. Coming to El Dorado, in 1869, when the place was in its crude state, from that time until his demise, October 4, 1882, he was closely associated not only with its growth and development from a business standpoint, but also with its moral and general intellectual advancement. Dr. White was a native of Ohio, and was born in Huron County, April 20, 1819. He was reared and educated in his native State, graduating in medicine at the Columbus Medical College. In 1859 he came to Kansas, locating at Emporia, where he practiced his profession for several years, and also for a time was a resident of Americus. Politically he was an advocate of Democracy. He was twice married. The widow that survives him was formerly Miss Mary Hatton, a lady of culture, born in Canada, and reared in the State of New York. She has one son by this marriage, William L.
THOMAS E. WOODS, abstractor and real estate agent and Secretary of the Southern Kansas Loan and Trust Company, was born in Windsor County, Vt., in August 1837, and was educated and reared in his native State. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Third Vermont Infantry, serving in the army of the Potomac. Upon being discharged he was appointed Clerk in the War Department at Washington, D. C., in which capacity he served several years. After residing in the State of Illinois for a time, he came to Kansas in 1876, locating in El Dorado. Mr. Woods is one of the substantial citizens of Butler County, and is well known in real estate circles throughout the West. He is a member of the G. A. R. and Commander of W. H. Wallace Post, of El Dorado. He is also a Mason, serving as H. P. of the Chapter, and was a charter member of the Commandery in El Dorado, of which he is now Eminent Commander.
A. B. YOUNG, farmer and stock raiser, Section 15, P. O. El Dorado, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Shelby County, February 28, 1821. He was educated and reared in his native State. In 1876, he came to Butler County, settling where he now resides. For a time he was a resident of Logan County, Ill. He was married in Kentucky to Miss Iantha Laura Craig. They have five children - Martha, Mary, Robert, Laura and Anna. He and his family are closely identified with the Christian Church.