|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SAFFORD - ZIMMERMAN).
S. J. SAFFORD, lumber dealer, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Erie County January 5, 1849. At an early age came to Wisconsin with parents and located in Janesville, where he was educated and brought up. In 1880 came to Kansas, locating in Augusta. Has since been identified with the lumber interests of the county. He also owns and operates a restaurant and bakery. Has served the city as councilman one term. M. S. was married in Wisconsin to Miss Jennie E. Ross. They have two children - Hattie and Emma.
R. S. SCOTT, druggist and proprietor of the Augusta Advance, came to Kansas in 1880, locating at Eureka, where he carried on the drug business until May, 1882, when he came to Augusta, continuing in the same business. The first of March, 1883, he purchased the Augusta Republican office and changed the title of the paper to that of the Advance, and its politics straight Democratic. Mr. S. has been a successful druggist, and is making a good record as a newspaper man. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Boyle County, where he was educated and reared. Was married in his native State to Miss Jennie Coffey, also of Kentucky.
T. SEXTON, coal dealer, is a native of Vermont, and was born at Bethel, Windsor Co., February 6, 1853. He came to Kansas in August, 1873, and has since been identified with its business interests. He was married in Kansas to Miss Ora Stevens. They have two children, Mabel and Walter. Mr. S. is a member of the K. of H.
CAPT. W. A. SHANNON is a native of New York, and was born in Livingston County, August 5, 1816. When twenty years of age he came West, and engaged in steamboating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, eventually settling at Hamburg, Ills., where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1851, when he removed to St. Louis, carrying on business in that city up to 1855, when he became identified with the interests of Leavenworth, Kan., five years. He came down to Breckenridge, now Lyon County, and engaged in farming on Dow Creek. Here he was set upon by the noted Quantrell in one of his raids, and deprived of all his available effects. Mr. S. immediately went to Fort Scott, and entered the United States service, being appointed Deputy Property Clerk in the Quartermaster's department, and commissioned Captain of the employees in this department, who were regularly organized and drilled. In this capacity he served until the close of the war. He settled at Fort Scott, and was elected Clerk of the District Court, holding the office two terms. In 1870 he was appointed by President Grant, Receiver of Public Money for the Arkansas Land District, and that year came to Augusta, where the land office was established. When the land office was removed to Wichita two years latter, Mr. S. resigned, and since that time has held the office of Justice of the Peace in connection with operating a large tract of land. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders. Of the latter he has been P. G., R. S. G. in U. S. For the past ten years he has been secretary of the Masonic lodge in Augusta. In the I. O. O. F. he was prominently connected with establishing the order in Kansas, and had the honor of calling to order the first lodge in the State, which is known as Leavenworth No. 2, of Leavenworth, Kan. In organizing lodges in Northeastern Kansas in those primitive days, Mr. S. traveled by team from town to town, and did as much in establishing lodges as any man in the State. He is a member of the G. A. R. and Quartermaster of the I. E. King Post No. 105. He was married in Hamburg, Ill., to Miss H. Mary Miner. By this union they have three children, now living.
T. O. SHINN, attorney, came to Butler County in 1871, locating in Little Walnut Township. After farming five years he removed to El Dorado, where he took up the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in 1877. He located in Augusta in the spring of 1881. Mr. S. is a native of Illinois, and was born in Adams County, December 14, 1848. He was educated in his native State. In February, 1864, he enlisted in the Second Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, serving until January, 1866. He was married in Hancock County, Ill., to Miss Emily Bride. They have two children, Edna E. and John J.
J. W. SHREVE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 32. P. O. Augusta, was born in Perry County, Ohio, February 14, 1833, where he was reared. He moved to Indiana in 1863, where he remained until he came to Kansas in 1877. During the Rebellion he served three months in the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was married in Perry County, Ohio, to Miss Elisabeth Taylor. They have seven children - John W., James I., Carrie B., Melissie El, Rosettie, Hattie and Elvie. Mr. Shreve has been Clerk of the School Board three years, and has been otherwise actively identified with the social, political and moral development of his adopted home.
SISCO BROS., merchants. Among the leading merchants of Southern Kansas the above firm ranks. They came to Kansas, locating in Augusta in 1880, and in 1881 embarked in trade. The firm comprises O. A. & O. F. Sisco, both natives of Defiance, Ohio. They are live business men, and have been eminently successful.
DANIEL STINE, livery man, came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, settling near Emporia, Lyon Co. Moved to Butler County in 1858, near El Dorado, for seven years trading with Indians. Settled near Augusta in 1865, and was engaged in freighting for ten years; followed farming and stock-raising. For the last year he has been engaged in the livery business; had many drawbacks to contend with during the early settlement of Butler County, and has contributed amply toward its development. He is a man of excellent judgment, genial and popular with all. Mr. Stine was born in Union County, Pa., February 25, 1828; removed to Ohio in 1835, where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married in Kansas to Miss M. J. Detrich. They have four children - Nellie, Daniel, Jr., Edwin and Emma. Mrs. Stine died in 1879. Officially Mr. Stine has been Justice of the Peace, Township Trustee and Postmaster.
H. STOLL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 21, Town 27, Range 4 east, was born April 26, 1829 in New Jersey, where he received his early education. He has been a resident of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, Iowa, and is now located in Kansas. He settled in Clinton Iowa, at an early day where he was engaged in erecting many of the substantial buildings of that city. In 1872 he came to Kansas, locating in Augusta, his present home. In 1862 he enlisted in the Twenty-sixth Iowa Infantry, serving three years. He was for nine months engaged in putting up machinery in the Government shops, and five months as clerk in the barracks at Nashville, Tenn. Mr. Stoll has been married twice; first in Ohio, to Miss Mary Boyd, now deceased; second to Miss Jennie E. Soult, of Lewistown, Penn. He has three children living - Nettie, Alice and J. W.
H. C. WATERS, proprietor of Union Hotel. Mr. Walters' residence in Butler County dates from the spring of 1877, at which time he located at Bryant, engaging in farming. In 1880 he built the Union Hotel, but did not assume the role of landlord of the same until 1882. The Union, under his management, has become one of the first-class houses of Southern Kansas. Mr. W. is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Ashe County, July 22, 1849. He has been identified with the educational interests of Butler County, having taught school several times.
J. B. WISHARD, Section 14, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Vermillion County, February 2, 1830, and was educated and resided in his native State until coming to Kansas in 1876, locating in that year where he now resides, and has been identified with the agricultural interests of the county. He was married in Indiana, to Miss Lizzie Faucett of Vermillion County. They have four children, James E., Frank M., who is a member of the mercantile house of Wishard, Hungate & Co., of Augusta, Attie and Lewis H. Mr. And Mrs. W. are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, Mr. W. always has been a stanch Republican.
REV. JAMES E. WILLIAMS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 13, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Muskingum County, February 17, 1835. His father moved to Shelby in 1838, and in 1854 removed to Boone River, Iowa, and in 1857 located in Harrison County, Mo., where he was married, in 1858, to Miss Amanda Crisup. They have five children, John, James, Julia, Jessie and Lyda. In the year 1864 came to Chase County, Kansas, returning to Missouri in the spring of 1865. Sold out in Missouri in the fall of 1865 and returned to Chase County, settled where he is now living in April, 1867; was licensed to preach by the Baptist Church of Augusta in 1869, was ordained in June, 1876; has taken an active part in furthering the early religious movements in the community; has been laboring as pastor of Bethel and Mount Olive churches for the past six years. Had the honor of preaching the first discourse ever delivered in Sumner County, Kansas, on the first Lord's day in May, 1870.
HENRY W. WILSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, P. O. Augusta, was born in New Hampshire, November 7, 1842; was principally reared in Lowell, Mass., where he resided until nineteen years of age, when he came West, settling in Pensaukee, Oconto Co., Wis. During the war he enlisted in the Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry, serving twenty months. In 1870, he came to Kansas, settling in Butler County, and turned his attention to breaking; since that time he has broken 1,200 acres in Augusta Township. In the winter season he has employed his time in the woods. Mr. Wilson is one of the solid and progressive farmers of the county. He was married, in Butler County, to Mrs. Mary Buck. He is a member of the G. A. R.
COL. FRANK M. WOLF, editor of the Augusta Advance, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Columbia County, September 12, 1848. When sixteen years of age he moved to Akron, Ohio, where he was reared to manhood and educated, receiving the benefits of the Western Reserve College at Hudson, twelve miles from the city of Akron. He commenced the study of law under the principalship of Gen. Voris, in Akron, in whose office he remained a few years. In 1869, he entered the law department of the State University of Iowa City, and was admitted to the bar, May 11, 1870. For four years he practiced his profession in Harrison County, Iowa. In 1876, he located at Marysville, MO., where, for six years, he was identified with the bar of Nodaway and adjoining counties. In 1882, he went to Arizona with a view of locating in that Territory. It not being congenial to his views, he returned to the States, locating in Fayetteville, Ark., where he embarked in the newspaper business, and in connection with the Arkansas Blade. After a brief period on the Blade, he severed his connection with that journal, bought its material, and in connection with Capt. D. Williams, established the Arkansas Times, which he made a success; sold out to good advantage, and became connected with the Augusta, Kan., Advance in March, 1883. For several years Col. Wolf has been accredited correspondent of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat. As a writer, there are but few who are his peers in handling the important issues of the day. He is a caustic writer, and forces an issue in an honest and scholarly manner to a logical conclusion. As an attorney, Col. Wolf is numbered among the ablest criminal lawyers in the West. Judge Henry S. Kelley, in whose district he practiced in Missouri, speaks of him in unqualified terms, not only as a counselor but as a most skillful practitioner. Among his intimate friends and supporters in Missouri may be mentioned Hon. F. M. Posegate, Mayor of St. Joseph, Mo., and Col. Frank M. Tracey, Postmaster of St. Joseph, and editor of St. Joseph, Daily Herald. Personally, the Colonel is one of the most genial and companionable of men. In 1874, he was married, in Fremont, Neb., to Miss Mary F. Hazen, a niece of Gen. Hazen, Chief of the United States Signal Service Department.
ISRAEL ZIMMERMAN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, P. O. Augusta, came to Kansas in the winter of 1854, locating where the city of Topeka now stands, being one among the first on the town site. He was a carpenter and builder by trade, and many of the old landmarks, which still stand, are among his buildings. Among these are the Hall Block and the Crane Block. He did more in the building line than any of the pioneer mechanics of the now capital city. After a residence of a number of years in Topeka, Mr. Z. was obliged to return East, on account of his wife's health. In 1879, he again came to his adopted State, locating where he now resides. Building has been his specialty, and in connection with carrying on the farm, erected the Augusta schoolhouse and other substantial buildings in this part. In connection with his son-in-law, J. W. Kerr, is engaged in pork packing in Augusta. Mr. Z. is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Meadville, April 26, 1829; was educated, reared and resided in that State until coming to Kansas. He was married, in Pennsylvania, to Miss L. Coburn. By this union they had three children - Topeka Franklin, named after Topeka, on account of his being the first child born there. He grew up a promising young man, and a few years ago was killed by a runaway team. The other children are - William R. and Gaberella, the wife of J. W. Kerr.