|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (GABBERT - RYAN BROTHERS).
H. C. GABBERT, County Surveyor and farmer, Section 36, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Indiana and was born in Monroe County, February 30, 1843. He was educated and reared in his native State, where he became proficient in civil engineering. During the war he served two and a half years in the Twenty- seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, doing duty principally in the Army of the Potomac. He was mustered in as a private and discharged as First Lieutenant. In the spring of 1873, he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides, engaging in farming. In 1878, he was elected Surveyor for Butler County and re-elected in 1880. He was married in Indiana to Miss L. A. Caralton, of that State. They have four children - W. T., M. O., C. K. and F. A. Mr. Gabbert is a member of the I. O. O. F., Western Star Lodge 81, of America.
G. F. GALLAGHER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, P. O. Augusta, was born in Fremont, Sandusky Co., Ohio, March 17, 1830. Was educated and reared in that State. In after years he resided in Indiana, Iowa and Illinois, being a resident of Vermillion County of the latter State in 1861, at which time he enlisted in Company D, Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving thirty-nine months. Was at the battle of Pea Ridge, through the Atlanta campaign and other memorable events of the Rebellion. At the battle of Chickamauga was severely wounded. After the war for several years resided in Indiana. Was married in Indiana to Miss Ann Force, January 1, 1856. Their children are - Elizabeth A., Frank and Jessie. In 1881 Mr. G. came to Kansas with his family, locating on his present farm in the spring of 1882, where his residence is located, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country for miles. Mr. G. is a member of the G. A. R.
J. R. GARDNER, liveryman, is a native of New York, and was born in Otsego County, February 29, 1832. In 1844 removed to Ohio, settling in Geauga County, where, in 1851, was married to Miss Charlottie Weston, and at once emigrated to Noble County, Ind., which was their home until 1860, at which period settled in Mason County, Ill. In 1862 he enlisted in the Eighty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving over three years, eleven months of the time being spent in Andersonville prison. Was one of the first to endure the tortures of that modern bastile. Mr. G. enlisted as a private and was detailed with the ambulance corps, thence Regimental Wagon Master and subsequently to Brigade Wagon Master. At the close was acting as scout. In April, 1868, Mr. G. came to Kansas, engaging in farming in Cherokee County and for a time in Crawford County. In the winter of 1874 became a resident of Augusta, taking charge of the National hotel. Mr. G. is identified among the representative business men of the county. For the past few years has been a member of the Augusta City Council, and is connected with the local affairs of the township. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. Two children have been born to Mr. And Mrs. G. - Elijah H. and Effie E. (now Mrs. F. R. Powell) Elijah H. has been associated with the commercial interests of Augusta for several years.
E. GIMLIN, merchant, was born in Tuscarawas County, May 7, 1841. In 1858 he came to Illinois and settled in Christian County. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Forty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years in the department of the Mississippi, and was severely wounded at Jackson and was taken prisoner, being held for a short time. For several years after his term of service he was engaged in the mercantile business in Christian County, Ill. In 1875 he came to Newton, Kansas, where he carried on business until February, 1880, when he located in Augusta. Mr. G. has been President of the City Council for two years and has always been identified with the cause of temperance and progress. He is prominently known in the Spiritualistic circles of the State and is a member of the G. A. R. He was married in Illinois to Miss Mary Swim. They have four children - Horace, Ara, Albert and Blaine. Horace is foreman in the Augusta Advance office.
A. J. & J. W. GROUND, merchant millers, A. J. Ground, the senior member of the firm, came to Augusta in 1879, engaging in the milling business. In company with his son, J. W., owns the City Steam Mill and the water mill at the outskirts of the town. Mr. G. is also the senior member of the firm of Ground & Given, dealers in general merchandise, and in connection with his son, J. W., operates an extensive seed store in Augusta. The capacity of both mills is 125 barrels per day. Mr. G. is a native of North Carolina; when eighteen years of age emigrated to Indiana, where for a number of years he was in active business. Mr. J. W. Ground, the junior member of the firm, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Monroe County, March 26, 1847. He became a resident of Kansas in 1878. Previous to coming to Augusta was in the mill business in Chanute and other points. The years of 1882-83 served the people of Augusta as Mayor. He was married in Indiana to Miss M. E. Holmes. They have four children - Nellie C., Blanch H., Jessie A. and Walter. Mr. Ground is a Mason and an Odd Fellow.
J. C. HAINES, grain merchant, was born in Appanoose County, Iowa, March 12, 1847. He was reared, educated and resided in the Hawkeye State until 1872, when he became a resident of Butler County, Kan. For several years he followed agricultural pursuits, engaging in the grain business in 1881. Mr. H. was married in Iowa, to Miss Mary Brown. They have three children, Eph, Ray and Stella.
L. S. HALL, M. D., is a native of New York, and was born in Tioga County; was educated and reared in the Empire State, graduating in medicine in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, in 1878. The same year he came to Kansas, locating in Augusta.
CHARLES HAZLEHURST, farmer and stock raiser, Sections 15 and 22, P. O. Augusta, is a native of New York and was born in Oneida County, April 23, 1838. He was educated and reared in his native State. For a number of years he was a resident of Illinois, enlisting from that State in 1861, in the Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He was at the battles of Pea Ridge, Corinth, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, and other noted engagements. Mr. H. came to Kansas in 1870, locating in Blanton Township, and afterwards in Towanda Township, and eventually where he now resides. He was married in Louisville, Ky., to Miss Katie McIntosh. Mr. H. is a member of the G. A. R. and Masonic order.
EDWIN HILL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 18, P. O. Augusta, is a native of England, and was born in Bristol, in 1830. When twenty-five years of age he came to the United States, locating at Kenosha, Wis., where he resided until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the First Wisconsin Infantry, serving three months; re-enlisted in the First Wisconsin Infantry Three-year Regiment; was commissioned Lieutenant in Forth-fourth Wisconsin Infantry, and served in that capacity until the close of the war, being on duty in the Department of the Cumberland. He continued to reside in Wisconsin until 1879, when he came to Kansas, settling on his present farm. Mr. Hill was among the first in this locality, and has been actively engaged in developing the resources of his township since coming. He is one of the most extensive stockmen in the county, operating a mill on his farm principally for his own use in grinding feed. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic order and the G. A. R. He was married in England to Miss T. Champ. They have four children, Edwin H., Willie J. Florence and Charlie.
H. D. HILL, M. D., was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 20, 1839. He was educated and reared in his native State and when the war broke out he was studying medicine in Ohio and on August *, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After serving seven months, he was transferred to the medical department, in which he served until July 19, 1865. Returning home he continued his studies, and in 1867 graduated from the medical department of the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor. In 1870 Dr. Hill came to Kansas, locating in Augusta Township, and has since been prominently identified with the development of the southern part of the county. He was the first clerk of the township and was elected to the State Legislature in 1874, and again in 1880, and was a member of a special session of the State Legislature during the month of September, 1874, and took an active part in securing the passage of the law regulating the sale of intoxicating liquors during the session of 1880. Politically he is a Republican. He was married in Ohio to Miss Mary E. Folks. They have three children - Virgil, Harvey and James R. The doctor is a member of the Masonic order.
A. HOLMES, farmer and stockraiser, Section 20, P. O. Augusta, is a native of New York, and was born in Oneida County, in 1845. When three years of age he emigrated with his parents to Michigan, where he was educated, reared and resided until coming to Kansas in February, 1879. He was married in Michigan to Miss Alice Newkirk. They have three children, Myra, Jay and Sylvian.
E. JOHNSON, liveryman and proprietor of the Valley House, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Portage June 10, 1818. When eighteen years of age he came to Illinois. After a residence there of some years he went to Missouri, and from there to Wisconsin, locating in Grant County. While a resident there he took a prominent part in securing the State University for Platteville. He came to Kansas from Wisconsin in August, 1870, settling on Section 18, Bruno Township, then Augusta Township, Butler County, being one of the first settlers in the township. He was identified with the agricultural interests of that locality, having built the first house there, and took a prominent part in organizing Bruno Township, making the canvass for that purpose. In October, 1881, he came to Augusta, engaging in the livery and hotel business. Mr. J. was married in Illinois to Miss Minerva Stiles. They have seven children - Nora, Rebecca, Henry, Warner, Charles, Edward and Jennie.
J. KELLER, Jr., dealer in coal, and farmer and stock raiser, Section 35, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Wabash County November 5, 1836. He was educated and raised in his native State, until 1877, when he came to Augusta, Kan. For several years he was engaged in freighting, and held the office of Justice of the Peace in Augusta for four years and Police Judge for two years. At present he operates a coal yard and runs a transfer line in town in connection with carrying on two farms. Mr. K. was married in Indiana to Miss Lavina Van Dyne. They have seven children - Frank, Archibald, J. B., George W., Freddie, Mary B. and Bessie M. Mr. K. is a member of the K. of H.
J. W. KERR, insurance agent, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Lawrence County July 13, 1855. He was educated and reared in his native State and came to Kansas in 1877, settling at Newton. The spring of 1880 he became a resident of Augusta, engaging in the insurance business. Mr. Kerr was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Ella Zimmerman. Mrs. K.'s father was one of the original owners of the town site of Topeka, settling there at an early day.
T. P. JACKSON, M. D. This well known veteran, whose portrait appears here, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Bedford County January 28, 1810. When twenty years of age he came to Ohio, living for a number of years in Jefferson and other counties, taking up the study of medicine soon after coming to the State. After pursuing a course of lectures at the Cincinnati Medical College, he settled down to practice in Vinton County, continuing there upward of twenty years. During the war he served eighteen months, enlisting as a private in the Thirty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was in charge of the Government drug store at Nashville for five months. Prior to this, however, he had charge of a hospital in the field and was engaged on other detached duty. After the war he came to Springfield, Mo., where he engaged in contracting. In 1871 he came to Kansas, locating a claim in Sumner County. Mr. Jackson followed mercantile pursuits for a time in Sedgwick County prior to his locating in Butler County. In 1878 he became a resident of Augusta. He built a fine brick drug store, and for a period conducted business, but has virtually retired from both trade and practice. Although past the meridian of life, the doctor is active and well preserved. He was married in Ohio to Miss Margaret Pepper, now deceased. By this union he had two children - Andrew Benton and Mary E. The former died of disease while serving in an Ohio regiment. Mary E. died in Iowa, five years ago.
CHARLES H. KURTZ, editor and proprietor of the Southern Kansas Gazette and Postmaster at Augusta, was born in Somerset, PA., May 15, 1838. He attended the common school of his native place until he was fifteen years old, when he entered the drug business under the supervision of an uncle. He remained in this business until 1868, returning to Indiana in 1856, remaining there until 1859, when he went to Ohio. He was married, in 1861, to Miss Belle Pile, of Somerset, Pa., and opened a store of his own in Wapakoneta, Ohio, in April, 1862. In 1864, he was appointed Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue, and afterward was also appointed Deputy Collector, which two positions he held until President Johnson 'swung around the circle' in 1866, when his official head fell into the basket. Several months afterward, under a compromise of the political leaders, he was reinstated to both positions, and retained them until 1870. He moved to Kansas in May 1871, first locating at Florence, where he purchased the Pioneer of McReynolds & Mitchell. In June, 1874, he removed the material of the office and family to Augusta, and the first number of the Southern Kansas Gazette was issued July 4 of that year, and has been continuously published by him since that time. He was a member of the City Council during the years 1877, '78 and '79, and in 1880 was elected Mayor. Was appointed Postmaster in 1881, taking the office on the second day of November, which position he still retains. Is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also of the Knights of Honor. Is at present Mayor of the city, serving his third term in that capacity.
JOHN A. KURTZ, druggist, came to Kansas in 1871, and located at Florence, where in company with his brother, C. H., they engaged in publishing the Pioneer until 1874, when they came to Augusta, establishing the Southern Kansas Gazette. He continued his connection with that paper until 1879, when he engaged in the drug trade. Mr. K. is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Somerset County, September 25, 1847. For a number of years he resided in Wapakoneta, Ohio, where he became proficient in pharmacy, coming from Ohio to Kansas. Mr. K. is numbered among the enterprising men of Augusta. He was married, in Kansas, to Miss Jennette Stoll. He is a member of the K. of H.
JAMES LOCKE, druggist, was born in Bethel, Oxford Co., Me., February 8, 1844; was educated and reared in his native State. In 1861, he enlisted in the Fifth Battery Maine Volunteers, serving one year. Mr. L. came to Augusta, Kan., in autumn of 1870, and has constantly since that time been in business. He was married September 16, 1866, in Upton, Me., to Miss Sophia B. Douglass of Upton, Oxford Co., Me. They have three children - Charles, Leon and Gertrude. He is a member of the K. of H. He and his family are associated with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
N. A. McKITRICK, stockman, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Noble County, July 4, 1847; was principally educated and reared in that State. For a few years was a resident of Sedalia, Mo., coming from there to Augusta in the spring of 1870, where he has since been actively engaged in the stock trade. Politically Col., McKitrick (as he is generally called) is a Democrat. In 1872, he was elected Sheriff of Butler County as an independent candidate. In 1873, was elected Mayor of Augusta, receiving the entire vote. He has been otherwise recognized by the people with minor offices. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married, in Sedalia, Mo., to Miss Clara Morehead. They have three children - William, Sarah and Burd.
HENRY MOYLE, merchant, came to Butler County in the spring of 1869, settling on a farm near Augusta; followed agricultural pursuits until 1875; came to town embarking in trade. Mr. M. has built two stores, been a member of the City Council, and otherwise connected with Augusta's welfare. He is a native of England and was born January 23, 1846; came to the United States when young, and was reared in North Carolina. He was married in Kansas to Miss Josephine Saunders. They have four children - John, Grace, Mathew, and an Infant. Mr. M. is a Mason and a member of the K. of H.
PROF. O. E. OLIN is a native of Ohio, and was born in Portage County, December 3, 1851. His early life was spent in attending the common schools of Portage County and Clinton County, Iowa; eventually removing with his parents to California. In 1865 he returned to Ohio; remaining until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating in Douglas County. For three years he was principal of the school in Baldwin City, and for four terms taught the grammar department in the El Dorado school. In the spring of 1881, assumed the control of the Augusta school, which ranks among the first in the State. Prof. Olin was married in Ohio to Miss Marie Seibel of Cleveland. Her father was a prominent musician and the organizer of Hecker's band of that city.
A. PALMER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Augusta, is a native of New York, and was born in Oswego County, in May, 1831. At an early age came to Illinois and spent several years in Macoupin and La Salle counties. The autumn of 1868 came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. Mr. A. at that time brought with him a saw-mill, which was the first in this part, and has been operating the same to a greater of less extent since in connection with an extensive farm. He was married in Kansas to Miss A. A. Mather, of this State. They have five children - Lora, John J., Mary, Ray, and Josephine.
JOHN REID, banker, was born in Canada, near Kingston, February 12, 1844. When young his father emigrated to Illinois with his family, locating in Kane County, near Elgin, Ill.; here the subject of this sketch spent his early days tilling the soil and attending the common schools, and after an attendance at the Elgin Academy of two years, entered upon a course of study at Aurora Institute and Clark Seminary, in Aurora, Ill., graduating in 1877, after which he took up the study of law in Elgin. In 1870 he came to Kansas, sojourning for a time at Emporia, where he was admitted to the bar. In September, 1870, he came to Augusta, being among the first professional men in the town. In addition to his law practice he carried on a real estate and loan agency up to 1880, when he engaged in the banking business. Mr. Reid has been Justice of the Peace, and otherwise identified with the political interests of his town. In point of building he has done much toward the city's development. Mr. Reid was married in Illinois to Miss Henrietta Merritt, of Elgin.
J. A. RHOADS, real estate. One of the most extensively known real estate agents in Southern Kansas is Mr. Rhoads. Located in Augusta in October, 1870, being one of the first in that line. He has done much towards advertising Butler County and the city of Augusta. Was commissioner for the St. L. & S. F. and the A. T. & S. F. railroads. Has been Mayor of Augusta, and held minor offices. In connection with his real estate business, is largely engaged in farming. He was born in Vermillion County, Ind., October 18, 1827. Was educated and reared in the Hoosier State. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Sixth Cavalry and Seventy-first Regiment, serving three years in the capacity of wagon and forage master. He participated in the Atlanta campaign and other prominent events of the Rebellion. Mr. Rhoads was married in Indiana to Miss Lucy P. Richardson. They have two children by this union - William A. and Flora.
RANDOLPH ROBINSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 22, P. O. Augusta. Was born in Warren County, Ohio, August 3, 1810, and resided there until 1839, when he removed to Jay County, Ind., residing there until 1847, when he went back to Warren County, Ohio, locating at Springborough. In the spring of 1851, he removed to Putnam County, Ill., remaining there but eighteen months, when he removed to Mason County, where he resided twenty-two years, from there going to Jacksonville, Cass County, and in the spring of 1878 moved to Butler County, Kas., where he now resides. Mr. Robinson has been married three times. His first wife was Elizabeth Hewitt, to whom he was united in marriage in May, 18935, and by whom he had seven children, of whom two are deceased - Sidney and Sarah. The surviving children are: Rhoda, John, Eupheme, Amos, and Olla. He was married in Illinois in November, 1856, to Mrs. Sarah Hull, who died in December, 1866. They had three children - Amanda, Elizabeth and Phoebe, all deceased. Mr. Robinson was again married, March 6, 1867 to Mrs. Julianna Harp.
L. E. RUSSELL, furniture dealer, was born in Oxford County, Maine, February 29, 1820, and was educated and learned his trade in the lumber State. For several years he worked as journeyman in New York City. Lowell and other points. In 18709 Mr. Russell came to Kansas from the State of Maine. Locating in Augusta, he erected the first store building and established the first furniture store, and has since been identified with that business. He was married, in New Hampshire, to Miss R. J. Weston, who died in 1857. They have two daughters living - Alice J., now Mrs. James Boulders, of Augusta, and Nellie R., a milliner in Augusta. He was married the second time, in 1859, to Lorena J. Buck.
RYAN BROTHERS, proprietors of the Palace Hotel. Of the leading hotels in Kansas, the Palace ranks among the first. The hotel was built in 1879 by the Messrs. Ryan. The firm is composed of D. J., A. J. and Will H. They are genial and popular gentlemen, and enterprising in every sense of the word. D. J. and A. J. were among the earlier settlers in this part, engaging in farming, in 1870 in Spring Township. They were also associated with the earlier business interests of Augusta, conducting for a few years a livery barn and a saddlery establishment. Will H. came to August in 1879. In connection with hotel keeping they are largely interested in sheep husbandry. The Ryans came to Kansas from Brown County, Ill. A. J. was married in Butler County, Kan., to Miss Mary Norris, an estimable lady, who presides as hostess of the hotel.