|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Douglass takes its name from Joseph Douglass, by whom it was laid out on December 17, 1869. It is located near the confluence of the Great and Little Walnut, twenty-four miles south of El Dorado, the county seat. It is the terminus of the Walnut Valley branch of the A., T. & S. F. Railway, which was completed to this point on August 1, 1881. Since the completion of this line, the town has had a rapid growth and now claims a population of 700, and twenty-five live business houses.
The accounts of various old settlers differ materially on points of early settlement. It seems to be pretty well settled, however, that the party consisting of C. H. Lamb, two brothers and John S. White were the first to arrive on the scene. The brought with them three wagon-loads of furniture and goods, which were deposited on the unbroken prairie. White, who was a carpenter, went to work at once, and July 22, 1869, two days after their arrival, had constructed a rough house, 12x16, into which all hands were glad to turn for shelter. Work was at once begun on the Douglass hotel, and, on August 24, Lamb and his family moved into the new building.
Douglass had no town organization and no officers prior to those elected in 1879, when it became a city of the third class. C. B. Lowe, the first Mayor, held office until 1882, when L. R. Bump was elected. E. Stratford, the City Clerk of 1879 was succeeded in 1880 by F. W. Rash, who still holds the position. City Treasurers have been D. P. Blood, 1879; F. C. Wise, 1880; R. H. Snell, 1881-82. Police Judges, E. Stratford, 1879; H. S. Husle, 1880; R. H. Schofield, 1881; H. S. Schofield, 1882. The present Council is composed of Sol. Wise, L. W. Bell, John Mitchell, A. T. Havens and Samuel Cramer.
The first postal facilities afforded the place were obtained by private subscription, in 1869, and the duties of postmaster performed by J. W. Douglass. The following year a government service was secured, and C. H. Lamb placed in charge of the office. Lamb was succeeded on March 19, 1872, by C. Calhoun, and he by David Young, who held the office until December 12, 1877, when J. B. Ives, the present incumbent, took charge. The first money order issued from Douglass bears date October 1, 1877, and was procured by Levi E. Wright, in favor of the Moline Plow Company. The office now occupies the rear portion of Neil Wilkie's bank building.
The educational history of Douglass Begins with the spring of 1870, when Miss Stine, now Mrs. George L. Fox, taught a subscription school. A district school house was built in 1871, at a cost of $3,000, and school taught that year by Miss Alma Henderson, now Mrs. Neil Wilkie, who also taught in 1872. From that point to 1876, the records fail to give the names of the teachers employed, the first entry after 1872 being that recording the engagement of Prof. J. W. Shively, who taught in 1876-77; J. C. Elliott taught in 1878-79; H. S. Hulse, in 1880; A. Gridley in 1881, and T. Schumaker in 1882. The school now numbers nearly 200 scholars, and has so far outgrown the school building as to necessitate the renting of two rooms in town, and the employment of four teachers.
CHURCHES, SOCIETIES, ETC.
The first religious service of which there is any account was a Sabbath school conducted in 1868 by Mrs. John T. Stanley, for the benefit of her own children and those of Mr. John Long. It is said that Rev. S. L. Friend preached at this point in 1868, but the report lacks confirmation. According to the recollection of the best informed old settlers the first regular preaching service was conducted in the newly completed Douglass House, on August 29, 1869, Rev. Mr. Saxby, a Baptist minister officiating. The second sermon was delivered by the same clergyman on September 26, 1869. On October 6, following, Rev. C. R. Rice, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, delivered an address. The next religious exercises were held by Rev. J. Copeland, a Congregational preacher who lived at Augusta. Beginning on Thursday, February 8, 1870, he preached four evenings, and on leaving made arrangements to preach at this point once a month. During the summer of 1870 the place of service was changed to the residence of Mr. John T. Stanley. Here, the same year, Rev. John S. Johnston, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, gathered a Sabbath school of twenty-five members. In the spring of 1870, Rev. Mr. Gordon, of El Dorado, made an appointment to preach at Mr. Stanley's, but filled it only a few times. About this time the separate church societies came into being and the religious history of the town began to cluster around the different creeds, and will be found in their history.
The Methodist Church at Douglass was first gathered together by a young clergyman whose name appears as 'Bro. Zellers.' Coming in May from his claim on the Arkansas, this energetic young man continued to preach until January, 1871, when being obliged to make all his appointments on foot, and Rev. J. Copeland, of Augusta, being in this field, Mr. Zellers (or Zealers) discontinued preaching. Although no society had been gathered prior to 1870, Rev. C. E. Rice, a Methodist Presiding Elder, had preached here on October 6, 1869. The work was taken up in 1871, by Rev. C. A. Stine; in 1872, by S. A. Green; 1873, J. Vickars; 1874, J. L. Stratford; 1875, D. L. Knowles, and from October 24, J. L. Rose; 1876-77, G. W. Harrison; 1878-79, C. A. Stine. In 1880, B. C. Swartz was appointed, but resigned, and I. N. Wilson took charge. In 1881, Rev. W. H. Rose was appointed, and still remains pastor. A fine stone church was begun in 1879 and completed in November, 1881, at a cost of $2,000. It has a seating capacity of two hundred. The membership of the society is now eighty. A separate Sabbath school was organized in January, 1879, and has now an average attendance of eighty. It is in charge of C. A. Hamlin.
The Christian Church was organized in 1874, by Rev. E. E. Harvey, who remained its pastor until succeeded in 1879 by D. M. Doty. C. W. Yard was placed in charge in 1880, and still remains. A neat church was erected in 1878, at a cost of $1,200. The present enrollment of the society is eighty. Services are held every second Sunday. Besides the church here, there are appointments at Rock Valley schoolhouse and Burden. The congregation numbers thirty-five at each point.
The Congregational Church was organized on December 9, 1877, under the pastorate of Rev. J. B. Ives, who still holds the charge. At the time of organization careful gleaning produced but a membership of twelve, but the growth of the town, and the earnest labors of Mr. Ives, have increased this number to over forty. At present the society has no church building, but one is already designed, and will be built in 1883, at a cost of about $4,000. A Sabbath school was organized some time before the church, and now has an average attendance. Meetings were first held in the Methodist Church, but have recently been transferred to Snell's Hall.
The Baptist Church was organized in June, 1882, with fourteen members, and in charge of Rev. J. Hopkins, who still remains. Services are held twice a month in the Methodist Church. As soon as practicable a church edifice will be erected by this society, which has already a parsonage, valued at $350, and a building lot, 50x140 feet, for church purposes.
Douglass Lodge No. 151, A. F. & A. M., was organized October 22, 1874, the names appearing in the charter being those of G. D. Prindle, W. M.; Sol. Wise, S. W.; Jas. Harney, J. W. The lodge now has a membership of forty-one. Meetings are held in Masonic Hall on each Saturday on or before full moon. This hall was built by the society at a cost of $2,000, and serves as the lodge room of six different orders - all that exist in the city. The present officers of the lodge are: James Shanks, W. M.; Sol. Wise, S. W.; D. Barrett, J. W.; L. E. Wright, secretary; John Harter, treasurer.
Douglass Lodge No. 502, K. of H., was organized October 15, 1877, with thirteen members and the following officers: J. Fogy, D.; J. Van Buskirk, secretary; L. E. Wright, treasurer. The society now has a membership of nine, and the following managers: J. T. Martin, P. D.; L. E. Wright, D.; L. T. Riadon, secretary. Meetings are held in Masonic Hall on the second and fourth Tuesdays in each month.
Walnut Valley Lodge No. 156, I. O. O. F., was instituted March 3, 1879, and received its charter October 15. It had at that time ten charter members, and the following officers: John Mitchell, N. G.; F. W. Rash, R. S.; R. H. Snell, S.; S. M. Pearson, treasurer. The society now has thirty-two members. Meetings are held on Thursday of each week in Masonic Hall. The property of the lodge consists of regalia to the value of $200. Its present officers are: J. H. Thompson, N. G.; R. W. Ogg, V. G.; F. W. Rash, treasurer; L. Shamleffer, P. S; L. J. Allison, R. S.
Harmony Lodge No. 14, National Union, was instituted March 31, 1882, with twelve members and the following officers, who still hold their positions: A. A. Gridley, Pres.; M. Thompson Ex-P.; S. Cramer, V. P.; J. S. Soule, F. S.; Tillie M. Bell, S.; Jas. F. Bell, Treas. Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month in Masonic hall. The Union now numbers fourteen.
Douglass Post, No. 97, G. A. R. was organized on July 4, 1882. With a membership of thirty-two. The officers first elected are those of the present time. They are: F. W. Rash, P. C.; R. H. Schofield, S. V. C.; C. Johnston, J. V. C.; A. T. Havens, O. D.; John M. Wilson, O. G.; G. W. Knapp, Adj.; J. P. Shanks, Qr.; O. S. Barnes, chaplain; S. T. Filson, surgeon. The post, which has now a membership of fifty-seven, meets in Masonic Hall, on the first and third Friday of each month.
Douglass Lodge Royal Templars of Temperance was organized, with thirteen members, September 15, 1882, by R. W. Patton, supreme lecturer. The charter officers are still in power, and are as follows: McGuire Schofield, S. C.; I. J. Durham, V. C.; J. Hale, P. C.; W. H. Rose, chaplain; J. S. Soule, R. S. and F. S.; W. S. White, Treas. Meetings are held on the first and third Monday of each month, in Masonic Hall. The lodge now numbers fifteen.
The Douglass Index appeared for the first time on July 2, 1880, under the management of H. H. Cole. It was first a seven-column folio, but changed with the number of January 14, 1881, to a regulation eight-column. Cole continued the paper until October 22, 1880, when he sold out to M. R. Bowman. On March 4, 1881, the paper came out under the ownership of Bowman & Hulse. December 2, Rev. J. B. Ives took the paper for a few weeks, and January 1, 1882, it passed into the hands of J. S. Soule, the present publisher. January 27, 1882, the paper became an eight-page sheet. It now has a circulation of over 400. Great credit is due Mr. Soule for the great typographical improvement he has made in his paper as well as for the excellence of its news columns.
The Union Flouring Mill, valued at $13,000, and one of the finest in the State, was built in 1881, by Lee, Wise & Kirk. It has four run of buhr-stones, and can turn out 100 barrels of fine flour daily. Power is furnished by an engine of seventy-five horse power. Wheat is procured direct from the farmers, and none imported, and none but 'new process' flour manufactured.
The first banking transacted in the town was done by W. P. Note, who opened a private bank in 1880. In 1881 Neil Wilkie opened a branch of the Exchange Bank of El Dorado, and in 1882, started a private bank of his own, which now does a large business.
J. W. ALGER, Section 22, P. O. Douglass, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., April 25, 1837; was reared in his native State, and married Miss Ruth Reeves. They have three children - Annie E., Charles R. and Ethel T. Located in Butler County in 1870.
OWEN BARNES, merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Belmont County, November 13, 1822; was educated and reared to manhood in his native State. In 1861 he enlisted in the Seventy-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry; participated at the battle of Shiloh; served in the departments of the Cumberland and Gulf until the close. For three years he was a resident of Indiana. In 1873 he came to Butler County, Kan., locating in Rock Creek Township, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. For several years he has been identified with the commercial interests of Douglass. Mr. B. was married in 1843 to Miss Catherine Young, of Ohio. By this union they have nine children - Sarah E., Nancy J., William, John H., Joseph W., Aaron W., Columbus, Cornelius and Etta M. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. B. is a Mason.
I. W. BENEPE, M. D., was born in Wooster, Ohio, October 2, 1846; was reared in the Buckeye State, where at an early age he took up the study of medicine. After graduating in the Rush Medical College, Chicago, he was employed in the hospital in that city until the great fire of 1871, when he came to Kansas. He lost heavily by the Chicago fire and was in reduced circumstances when he located ten miles east of Douglass; here he commenced practicing and soon had an extensive patronage; a few years later he moved into Douglass, which has since been his home. Dr. Benepe was married in Ohio to Miss A. Weimer. By this union they have four children - Alice, J. W. Jr., Selden and Wymer. The doctor is a member of the K. of H.
JAMES BLAKEY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Douglass, is a native of England and was born May 12th, 1824; was reared and learned the tanners' and curriers' trade in his native country. In 1847, he came to the United States, locating in Pennsylvania, where he resided for several years, removing from there to Juneau County, Wis., where he enlisted 1861, in the Ninth Wisconsin Battery, two years; discharged, re-enlisted, serving as Hospital Steward until after the close of the war. In 1866, he settled at Emporia, Kan., residing there until 1869, when he came to Butler County, where he has since figured as an active farmer. Mr. B. was married in Pennsylvania, to Miss Margaret Wallace. They have seven children - Martha A., now Mrs. Kirkendall, of Emporia; Jennie, now Mrs. G. F. Dunham, lately of the Eureka Herald, but now of the Plaindealer, at Ridgetown, Ontario, Canada; Louania Harriett, now Mrs. Henry Williams, farmer, of Butler County; Louisa Frances, Wesley Blakey, Donna E., now Mrs. Daily and Edna Blakey.
MILTON W. BROWN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, P. O. Douglass; located in Douglass in the fall of 1870. For four years was engaged in the grocery trade. Aside from that has been cultivating a farm adjoining the town. Mr. B. is a native of Pennsylvania; was born in Perry in December, 1848. Was married in Douglass, Kansas, to Miss Susan Uhl; they have two children, Robert and Mabel.
L. R. BUMP, liveryman, was born in Green County, New York, February 3, 1838. For a number of years was a resident of Pennsylvania where he was engaged in various pursuits. The spring of 1876 came to Kansas, settling near El Dorado, where he was engaged in farming up to 1880. Since that date has been in the livery business in Douglass. Mr. Bump has been Mayor of the city and otherwise identified during his residence in Douglass. He was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Mary E. Bunnell, a native of that State. They have six children, Alburtie, Amanda, Lorin, Artie, Ada and Flora. He is a member of the Masonic order. Politically Mr. B. is a Democrat.
MORGAN BUSH, stock raiser, Section 35, P. O. Douglass, one of Butler County's representative stockmen, is the subject of this sketch. Mr. B. came to Kansas the spring of 1877. He has large landed estates in Butler and Cowley counties. He makes a specialty of the cattle trade and keeps superior grades. Mr. B. is a native of Kentucky; was born in Woodford County, March 29, 1832; was educated and reared in his native State. For ten years was a resident of Platte County, Missouri, previous to coming to Kansas. He was married in Kentucky to Miss Mary E. Ford. They have ten children, John Zachary, James, Jordan, Ophelia, Mollie, William, Charles, Joseph and Mollie Lee.
A. W. DENNISON, attorney at law, was born in Cortland County, New York, November 2, 1850. His parents removed to Warren County, PA., in 1851 where he was reared and educated. Mr. Dennison taught several terms of school while in Pennsylvania, and in 1871 commenced the study of law under Hon. G. W. Scofield, a prominent attorney and politician of Warren, Pa., who is an ex-member of Congress, Ex- Register of U. S. Treasury and now Judge of the Court of Claims of Washington, D. C. Mr. Dennison came to Kansas in 1878, settling in El Dorado where he was admitted to the bar in 1879. Has been employed on several important cases and is a successful practitioner. He is a member of the Masonic order and of the Knights of Honor. Mr. D. was married in 1874 to Miss Nannie C. Wright of Warren County, Pa.
J. W. DUNN, miller and farmer, Section 32, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Fulton County, July 15, 1842. In 1857 came to Kansas, settling in Johnson County, where he resided for several years, following farming. In 1868, he came to Butler County, settling in the locality where he now resides, being among the first to take a claim in this locality, and also engaged in the saw-mill business. In 1871, he located a mill on the Ninnescah, it being the first in Sumner County. He sawed the first lumber used in the towns of Belle Plaine and Wellington. In 1879, he became owner of the flour mill, which he still owns. Mr. D. has refitted the same throughout with modern machinery, and it will compare favorably with any five- run mill in the country. His brother, Samuel T., came to Butler County in 1867, being one of the first to make a claim on the Osage Strip, locating tributary to the Cowley County line. On June 17, 1868, he and two other men were murdered at that point by a party of twelve dissatisfied Indians, under a chief known as Hardrope, of the Osages. The subject of this sketch, in connection with the milling interests, carries on an extensive farm. He was married in Kansas, to Miss Annie Smietherman, of Missouri. They have six children by this union - Lena, Annie, James M., Berney, George and Frank.
J. C. ELLIOTT, merchant and stationer, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Tioga County, July 23, 1848. His early education he received in Alfred Center, N. Y. For a number of years he was a resident of Muscatine County, Iowa, where his parents settled at an early day. When not engaged in business in the Hawkeye State, J. C. employed his time in teaching school. In 1873, he came to Kansas, taking up his abode in El Dorado, where for three years he was principal of the school, after which he was identified with the educational interests of Chelsie for a time, coming from that point to Douglass. For three years was principal of the Douglass school. In connection with his mercantile trade, Mr. E. conducts a real estate and loan business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married in Kansas to Miss Ella D. Patton.
S. T. FILSON, merchant. The spring of 1873, Mr. F. became a resident of Butler County, locating on Section 18, Douglass Township; he engaged in the nursery business in a small way, being the first in this locality to venture in that industry. Until 1882, he followed farming; in that year embarked in trade. Mr. F. ranks as one of the active and substantial business men of the city. He is a native of Kentucky, was born in Flemming County, December 29, 1847; was reared and educated in his native State. In 1870, located in Cass County, Mo., which was his home two years. In 1865, he enlisted in Kentucky, was mustered into the volunteer service, and on duty nine months. Mr. F. is a member of the G. A. R. Douglass post.
JAMES FORGY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 33, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Ohio. Was born in Morrow County March 17, 1845. For eight years was a resident of Rock Island County, Ill., coming from there to Butler County, Kan., the spring of 1871. Mr. F. located on Section 28, Douglass Township. He has been continuously farming; has a large tract of land and is numbered among the substantial agriculturalists. He was married in Rock Island County, Ill., to Miss Sophia Dunlap. They have three children - Flora, Minnie and Annie. Mr. F. is a member of the Masonic Order, Douglass Lodge.
GEORGE R. FOX, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, P. O. Douglass. On the 28th of October, 1869, the subject of this sketch located where he now resides, being one of the pioneers. He had as many, if not more than the usual drawbacks of the first settlers to contend with. Mr. F. is a native of Ohio. Was born in Geauga County March 20, 1843. The fall of 1863 enlisted in Company L, Twelfth Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the Gen. Stoneman raid, and was at the demolishing of Salisbury, S. C. He came from Ohio to Kansas. Was married in Butler County to Miss Agnes E. Livingstone. They have three children - Emily M., John W. and Niocha C.
JOHN GAYMAN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Ohio and was born in Pickaway County September 18, 1845. For a number of years resided in Delaware Co., Ind. In 1870 came to Kansas, taking up his abode in the northwest part of Cowley County, which was principally his home and where he resided until the autumn of 1881, when he settled on present farm. Mr. G. was married in Kansas to Miss Flora Olmstead. They have three children - Ernst, Ralph and an infant. While a resident of Cowley County, Mr. G. was Trustee and otherwise identified. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
JOHN E. GREEN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Bourbon County in 1840. When young came to Missouri, where he resided several years. Before the war went to Colorado, where he enlisted in 1862 in the Second Colorado Regiment, serving in Kansas, Arkansas and Missouri, participating in the Price raid. In 1869 Mr. G. came to Butler County, locating where he now resides, being among the first who located in this locality. He was married in Kansas to Miss Emily Umbarger. They have four children by this union - Edmond, Frank, Robert and Harley.
J. E. HALE. This well known gentleman is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Lewis County September 28, 1846. In 1853 with his parents, he removed to Kansas, locating in Atchison County, near Atchison, where the family resided about six weeks, moving from there to Missouri, but soon after again took up their abode in Kansas, which has been the home of J. E. since. For several years he followed agricultural pursuits in Jefferson County. In 1871 he came to Butler County, being among the pioneers in the vicinity of Douglass, and closely identified with the growth and development of the south part of Butler County. Mr. Hale has been engaged in dairying and in the confectionery in Douglas the past few years. He has been Justice of the Peace, and otherwise officially connected in Butler County. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge of Perryville, Kan., and I. O. O. F. of Douglass. He was married in Jefferson County to Miss Caroline Welsh. They have three children - Ernst, Lola L. and Della.
T. W. HALL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, P. O. Douglass. Mr. Hall was born in Oneida County, N. Y. April 27, 1827, was reared in the Empire State, learning the blacksmith's trade in the town of Trenton. Later in life he turned his attention to locomotive engineering, and during the war was in the employ of the New York Central Railroad in that capacity. For seven years he was in the establishment of Fuller & Ford of Chicago, coming from that city to Newton, Kan., in 1873. He was in the employ of the A. T. & S. Fe R. R., working in the shops at Newton up to 1879, when he removed to his farm which he had purchased several years previous. Mr. H. has been twice married, first in New York, to Miss Mary Ingalls (now deceased) and by this union has two children, William F. and Elizabeth. He was married in 1871 to Miss Jane Pronger of Chicago.
H. W. HARTENBOWER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Putnam County, Ill., and was born in 1851; was educated and reared in his native state; came to Butler County, Kan., in 1872. For several years made a specialty of the stock business. In 1880 settled on his present farm. Mr. H. is one of the representative men of the county. In the years 1882 and 1883 was County Commissioner. He was married in Kansas to Miss Dimmitt Livingstone.
GEORGE S. HEWITT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, P. O. Douglass, came to Butler County, locating where he now resides, in the spring of 1877. He is a native of Chittenden County, Vt., and was born December 6, 1837. When sixteen years of age he removed to Boston, Mass., where he learned the mason's trade, and for several years carried on contracting and building. He was married in Vermont to Miss Mary Ricker, a native of New Hampshire. They have one son - Willie. Mr. H. is an R. A. Mason, and a charter member of the Commandery of Wichita. His estate comprises 165 acres in Section 8, forty acres in Section 9 and 110 acres on Muddy Creek, all in Douglass Township.
E. H. HUTCHINS, attorney, was born in Chittenden County Vt., March 12, 1838. At an early age he removed to Southern Wisconsin. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in the First Wisconsin Cavalry, passing through the usual routine of promotions. He was mustered out at the end of three years as Lieutenant. The year 1862 was spent in the Department of Tennessee, and the balance of service in the same department. Returning from the service he turned his attention to the study of law, and was admitted to the bar of Faribault County, Minn., having removed to Winnebago City in 1867. For seven years he was Postmaster of Winnebago City, was a member of the Republican State Central Committee, was in the Senate in 1872 and 1873, and also in a special session for the impeachment of the State Treasurer. The climate of Minnesota being too severe for him, owing to failing health, he removed to Kansas and located at Douglass, in 1862. Mr. H. is a popular gentleman and one of the ablest lawyers in Southern Kansas. He is a member of the Masonic Order and of the G. A. R.
REV. J. B. IVES, Postmaster, editor and proprietor of the Index, is a native of the Sandwich Islands, and was born October 16, 1837. His father, Rev. Mark Ives, was a native of Connecticut, a minister of the Congregational Church and a missionary to the Sandwich Islands. When J. B. was in his sixteenth year he came to Connecticut with his parents, where he was reared to manhood and educated, graduating in the Yale Theological Seminary. In 1875 he came to Kansas as a missionary and was assigned to Douglass, where he has since been laboring assidiously and successfully in the cause of Christianity. In 1877 he established the Douglass Index, a live Republican organ, which he is still editor and proprietor of. For the past six years held the office of Postmaster. No man in Douglass has done more towards the advancement of the moral and religious sentiment of the town than Rev. J. B. Ives. He was married in Connecticut to Miss Mary Tucker of that State. They have one daughter - Nettie.
THOMAS I. KIRKPATRICK, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, P. O. Douglass, is a native of North Carolina, was born in Orange County, December 8, 1831. For several years was a resident of Guilford, where he was educated, reared, married to Miss Lorena Stanley. In 1869 they immigrated to Kansas, settling where they now reside, being among the pioneers in this part. They have five children - James H., Asa A., Mary N. A., Thomas J., and Nora Leona. The family is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DR. W. P. KNOTE, banker, is a native of Ohio, was born in Cincinnati, April 18, 1849, was principally reared and educated in Clinton County, graduating in medicine in the Miami Medical College. In 1871 came to Douglass, where he has since practiced his profession in connection with various pursuits. He was married in Butler County to Miss Nina M. Osborn. Dr. Knote is one of the representative men of Butler County.
WILLIAM LENNOX, furniture dealer, is a native of Iowa and was born May 25, 1850. Was educated and reared in Henry County. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1871, locating in Douglass. For several years was in the employ of Wise & Kirk, dealers in general merchandise, and followed other pursuits. In 1878 engaged in the furniture trade. Mr. Lenox was married in Butler County to Miss S. Woodyard.
JOHN T. MARTIN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, P. O. Douglass, is one of the first settlers of the town of Douglass. In the spring of 1869 he erected a blacksmith shop, which was the second building on the town site. For several years was actively engaged in attending to the wants of the people in the way of blacksmithing. Few, if any, are more favorably known throughout the country tributary to Douglass, than Mr. Martin. For the past few years has been following agricultural pursuits. He is a native of Maryland and was born in Frederick County in 1844. Was educated, reared and learned a trade in his native State. He was married in Kansas to Miss Olive Wymer. They have two children, Charlie and Harry. Mr. M. is a member of the K. of H.
THOMAS PAINE, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Indiana and was born in Vermillion County, January 22, 1845. Was educated, reared and resided in his native State until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating in Osage County, where he followed farming until removing to Butler County in the autumn of 1882. He was married in Indiana to Miss Narcissus Wright. They have five children, Henry, John, Fred, Frank and Grace. Mr. Paine is a member of the I. O. O. F., Arvonia Lodge, No. 5, of Osage County.
WILLIAM PULVER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, P. O. Douglass, is a native of New York and was born in 1840. In 1860 he emigrated to Wisconsin. He resided in the northern country for several years engaged in various pursuits. In 1869 came to Kansas, locating in the south part of Butler County in company with John D. Clark and Joshua Olmstead, operated the first saw mill in this part of the State. Mr. P. is a cooper by trade and for a few years was prominently identified with that branch of industry. He has been on his present farm about ten years. Mr. Pulver has been twice married, first to Maria Olmstead, now deceased. He has five children by this union, Frank, Stella, Mary P., Rosella and William G. His present wife was formerly Della Mott of New York. They have one son, Herbert W.
D. S. ROSE, hardware, agricultural implements and machinery, is a native of Connecticut, and was born November 8th, 1849. Was educated and reared in his native state, and in 1877, came to Kansas, engaging in business in Douglass. For a time he opened branch houses in Winfield and Arkansas City. Mr. R. is one of the most extensive dealers in hardware and implements in Southern Kansas. He was married in Winfield, Kan., September 30, 1880, to Miss Cornelia Clements, of Bushnell, Ill.
HON. F. W. RASH, attorney, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in New Castle in Henry County, April 3, 1843. When thirteen years of age removed with his parents to Lewis County, Mo., where he was educated and reared. In 1865 he enlisted in Quincy, Ill., in Company A, Sixty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. Mr. Rash took up the study of the law under the preceptorship of F. L. Marchand, of Lewis Co., Mo., and was admitted to the bar at Monticello in 1867. He practiced law in Lewis County for several years, serving one term as County Attorney. In 1876 he came to Kansas, locating in Douglass. In 1882 was elected a member of the Legislature from his district by the Republican party. As a representative Mr. Rash is conceded a success, as an attorney among the ablest in Southern Kansas. He was married in 1871 to Miss Alice N. Woodyard, of Canton, Mo., and has three children, Lula A., Sudie and Woodyard. Mr. Rash is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R.
R. H. SCOFIELD, Sr., is a native of New York, and was born in Yates County, September 4, 1831. He was married to Miss Emma Sickles, in Monterey, Schuyler Co., N. Y., July 25, 1851. In April, 1854, emigrated to Iowa, and was at the State Convention that nominated Kirkwood for Governor the first time. Mr. Scofield built the first hotel at Decorah, Winneshiek Co., Iowa, also was one of the three contractors who built the court house at Decorah. The firm name was Scofield, Tuttle & Hailey. In the fall of 1860, he emigrated to Portland, Mich, which was his home for several years. In 1861 he enlisted in the Ninth Michigan Infantry as First Sergeant, and was afterwards Captain of Independent Company of Michigan Sharp Shooters. The latter part of his term in the service was on Gen. Grant's staff, holding a Captain's commission. He was wounded at Fire Springs and Stone River, Tenn. Petersburg and Weldon, Va. Was taken prisoner once but escaped. Was at the surrender of Gen. Lee, and mustered out as Major. After the war was engaged in merchandising, in Portland, Mich. For two terms represented Iona County in the State Legislature. He became a resident of Douglass in July, 1881. Had been a resident of Cowley County for four years, and other portions of the State previous to that. Has been engaged in the hotel and restaurant business, and operating the Winfield and Wichita stage routes for the past two years. Is at present Justice of the Peace and has been otherwise identified. He has three children - David W., who is in Michigan, Frank J. and Ralph H. Mr. S. is a Mason member of chapter, of the Grand Council, also of the A. O. U. W. and is commander of the G. A. R.
CHARLES B. SCOTT, merchant, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Woodford County in September, 1842. When fifteen years of age he came to Kansas, settling temporarily in Leavenworth, he eventually headquartered at Kansas City and for a few years was employed in freighting across the plains. Upon the breaking out of the war he returned to Kentucky on a visit and was induced to enter the Confederate Army, and until the close of the Rebellion fought for the cause he advocated. After the war he spent some years in Colorado, and was for a time in Chase County, Kan., coming from there to Douglass, August 18, 1871. By a special act of the Legislature of Kansas, he was restored to citizenship in 1870 at his request. Owing to financial reverses Mr. Scott was in limited circumstances. On his arrival at Douglass he commenced as clerk. In a short time became proprietor of a drug store, and since that period has been substantially identified with the commercial interests of the town as well as the farming district adjoining. Mr. Scott was married in Douglass to Miss Alice Holman. They have one daughter Mabel. Mr. Scott is a member of the I. O. O. F.
L. SHAMLEFFER, was born in Baltimore Co., Md., February 11th, 1851. In 1861, he came to Council Grove, Kan., with his brother William F., where he resided several years. In 1870, came to Douglass, engaging in trade, having the first general stock on the town site. Was identified in that branch and the furniture trade the greater portion of the time up to 1882. Mr. S. is favorably known to a large number of Butler County citizens. Was appointed by the State Board of Charities under Gov. G. W. Glick's administration, as steward of the Insane Asylum at Topeka. He was married in Kansas to Miss Alice True, of Douglass. They have one daughter, Daisie. Mr. S. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
R. H. SNELL, merchant, was born in New York City, N. Y., June 22, 1844. Was reared and educated in the Empire State. Was engaged in business in Brooklyn for several years. In 1876 he came to Kansas, settling on a farm a short distance from Douglass. Two years later he embarked in merchandising in town. Mr. Snell has been City Treasurer, Councilman, and otherwise identified with Douglass. He was married in Brooklyn, N. Y., to Miss Elizabeth Ackerly. They have three children - Robert H., Florence and George C. Mr. S. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
A. J. UHL, stockman, Section 17, P. O. Douglass, is a native of Maryland, and was born in Alleghany County, September 12, 1836. In 1846 became a resident of Illinois, where he resided until 1858, when he came to Missouri, settling in Jackson, continuing to reside there until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. Was among the first settlers in this part, and has been identified with the early development of the town of Douglass. Mr. U. was married in Bloomington, Ill., to Miss Hattie Verden. They have had five children, two of whom are living - Lee and Neil. Cassius, aged eighteen and a half years; Thomas, aged sixteen and half years, and Lincoln, aged fourteen and a half years, died a few years ago.
M. W. WEEKS, clerk, Commercial Hotel; this courteous gentleman is a native of Illinois; was born in Ogle County, October 7, 1839. At an early age removed to Rockport, Atchison Co., Mo., where he was educated and reared. He came to Douglass in the spring of 1872, and has been identified with different hotels since. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic order.
WILLIAM H. WIDENER, proprietor Commercial Hotel. This popular gentleman is a native of Missouri, and was born in Buchanan County, February 1, 1843. In 1856, with his parents, removed to Atchison County, Kas., his father Henry being one of the pioneers in the vicinity of Monrovia, where W. H. spent several years. In 1862 he enlisted in the Thirteenth Kansas as a private in Company D, serving in the departments of the southwest until the close of the war. He passed through the usual routine of promotion, and was mustered out as Sergeant-Major. In 1865 he engaged in agricultural in Jefferson County, near Perry, where he resided until 1870. Coming to Butler County in that year, was identified with the farming interests in the vicinity of Douglass until the winter of 1882, when he became proprietor of the Commercial Hotel. Mr. W. has been twice married, first to Miss T. A. Ratisel, of Atchison County, Kas., now deceased. By this union has one son - William L. His present wife was formerly Miss Emma Connely. Mr. W. is an active business man, and one of the most genial citizens of Douglass.
HON. NEIL WILKIE, banker, is a Canadian by birth; born in York County, Ontario, April 16, 1840. He came to the States in 1862, and spent seven years in California and other portions of the Pacific slope engaged in mining. In 1869, he came to Kansas and was among the first settlers of Douglass, in the Southern part of Butler County, where he invested largely in land. Since that time he has been prominently identified with the entire county, and especially with the town of Douglass, whose interests he has vigorously endeavored to promote. He was for some time President of the First National Bank of El Dorado, and afterward, in connection with S. L. Shotwell, organized and established the Exchange Bank of El Dorado. In 1881, he withdrew from the Exchange Bank, and established Neil Wilkie's Bank of Douglass. Officially, he has served the county as Commissioner, and the State as Senator, being elected to the Senate in 1880, on the Republican ticket. His service in the Senate has been a credit to himself and eminently satisfactory to his constituents. Mr. Wilkie is a man of sound judgment, and his opinion on important issues is considered good authority. He was married to Miss Alma Henderson, of Newbury, Vermont, in the autumn of 1872.
J. A. L. WILLIAMS, M. D., druggist, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Indianapolis, December 23, 1843. During the Rebellion he served over three years in the Third Indiana Cavalry, participating in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh and passing through the Atlanta campaign. Was honorably discharged at the expiration of his term of service. His medical education he principally received in the Indianapolis Medical College. In 1871 he came to Butler County, Kas., locating at Brownlow, where he practiced medicine for a time, removing from there to Cowley County. In 1875, he became a resident of Douglass, where he has since been in the drug trade in connection with his practice. Was married in Kansas to Miss Levonia Mercer. They have one son, Charlie B.
SOLOMON WISE, miller and merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Hamilton County, March 22, 1833. In 1856, he went to Minnesota, being among the first settlers of Winona. For a few years he followed farming west of that place. He eventually engaged in the milling business in St. Charles, where he was prominently identified for a number of years. In 1872, he came to Kansas, locating in Douglass, engaging in mercantile pursuits. In December, 1882, he took charge of the mill he how controls. Mr. Wise has been closely associated with the growth and development of Douglass. He has been twice married, first in Minnesota, to Miss Laura Olmstead (now deceased). Was married in Douglass, to Miss Lingenfelter. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic order.
WILLIAM ZAHL, wagon and carriage manufacturer, blacksmith and machinist, was born in the city of Berlin, Germany, December 17, 1829, and was reared, educated and learned his trade, blacksmithing and machinist, in his native country. In 1865, he came to the United States, and located in the city of New York, where he worked at his trade until 1871, emigrating to Kansas in that year, and located on a farm near Douglass. In 1878, settled in town, where he has since been prominently identified with its general interests. Mr. Z. was married in Copenhagen, Denmark, April 5, 1859, to Miss Cornelia Cederwall, from Sweden. They have two children - William, Jr., and Cornelia. He is a member of the K. of H., and himself and family are members of the Congregational Church.