|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (LANGE - MORRIS).
JOHN H. LANGE, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Robinson, was born in Germany, near the city of Cassel, capital of Hesse, October 14, 1835. He followed the occupation of farming, and in 1852 immigrated to the United States. In October of the year following he located in Menard County, Ill., where he lived at the breaking out of the Rebellion. In 1861 he volunteered with Company I, of the Thirty-second Infantry and served in all the principal engagements of his regiment, including Pittsburgh Landing, Corinth, and all the battles in Sherman's march to the Sea. He served until the close of the war, then returned to Illinois, and in July of 1865 came to Kansas and located at Robinson, Brown County, engaged in agricultural pursuits, and during the winter of 1866 was united in matrimony to Caroline, daughter of Conrad and Sophia Halberstadt, who settled in Brown County in 1858. In 1870 Mr. Lange purchased the land where he now lives, which was then entirely unbroken, and now consisting of 160 acres finely improved. He has been two terms Clerk of the School Board of the district in which he lives. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Robinson. Their family consists of four girls and four boys.
CHARLES D. LAWRENCE, retired merchant, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y. He subsequently went to Nashville, Tenn., where he conducted a boarding school up to the time of the breaking out of the Rebellion, which broke him up. At this time he accepted the position of Professor of Mathematics in the State Normal School at Albany, where he continued one year, and at the expiration of that time became clerk in the Commissary Department under Col. E. N. Morrill, of Hiawatha. At the close of the Rebellion Mr. Lawrence returned to Nashville, Tenn., and until September, 1866 was Principal of the High School there. He was then elected Superintendent of Public Instruction by the Board of Education, Gen W. B. Bates being his competitor. This position he filled until his removal to Hiawatha in the spring of 1870. Here he erected the building now occupied by his successors, where he became a successful merchant, and after ten years' labor in that line, retired. Mr. Lawrence has served two years on the Board of Regents of Kansas. In 1848 he married Mary G. Sabin, of Ontario County, N. Y., who died in September, 1865. They were the parents of four sons, viz: Charles G., now one of the leading lawyers of St. Paul, Minn., Albert, a merchant in Hiawatha; Dana, in the banking business in Montana, and James A. The present Mrs. Lawrence is a daughter of L. Janes, of Hiawatha, her name Charlotte J. They were married in 1866.
CHARLES H. LAWRENCE, harness manufacturer and dealer and Deputy Sheriff, is a native of New York State, born May 13, 1844, in Dutchess County. He left home when fourteen years of age to earn a livelihood for himself, and in 1863 engaged at military railroading in the South, at which he continued up to the time of his migration to Kansas. This occurred in the spring of 1870, when he became a resident of Hiawatha, and for a few years dealt in real estate. From 1874 to 1876 he served as Deputy Sheriff of Brown County, and in the fall of 1875 was elected Sheriff of the same. This office he held for two years, and in 1877 purchased his present business from J. O. Gardner, said business having been established in 1870. He keeps six workmen constantly employed, manufacturing his own stock, and has a trade of twenty thousand dollars per annum. Mr. Lawrence was one of the instigators of Brown County Exposition Association, of which he served one year as Secretary and two as Marshal. Is a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 35 of the A., F. & A. M., and a charter member of Mt. Horeb Chapter No. 43. He belongs also to Hiawatha Commandery No. 13. He has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Lottie M. Beardslee, whom he married at Battle Creek in 1870, and who died five months afterwards. Was married in 1879, at Hiawatha, to Miss Emma J. Haughton.
SAMUEL S. LEEDS, contractor and builder, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, November 14, 1845. When but a lad he removed with his parents to Pike County, Ill., where he learned the trade of millwright, which has since been his vocation. In 1868 Mr. Leeds came to Hiawatha and began the business of contracting and erecting mill elevators throughout Kansas and Nebraska, and has since done a heavy business in this line of work. He has at present on hand contracts for nine large elevators in the above named States, employs about sixty men, and does the most extensive business of the kind in the State. Mr. Leeds served two years in the Rebellion as a volunteer in the Seventh Illinois Infantry, Company G. He is connected with the Star of Hope Lodge no. 1338 of the K. of H. To give some idea of the magnitude of the above gentleman's work we will state that he erected an elevator in Sabetha, Kansas, with a capacity of 60,000 bushels; another at Falls City and Auburn, Nebraska, of the same dimensions, and a number of others in different localities of the same capacity. Also the large flouring mills at Woodlawn, Kansas.
DR. WILLIAM D. LEWIS, physician and surgeon, was formerly from Pittsburgh, Pa., where he was born July 14, 1847. Received his education in the High Schools of that city and was afterwards employed four years as mechanical draughtsman in the office of the Patent Attorney there. In 1867 he became engineer on the Union Pacific R. R., and from the time he quit that until his location in Kansas, was engaged in the drug business at Salt Lake City. During the fall of 1869 Dr. Lewis located at Hiawatha and gave his attention to farming and stock raising for three years; then accepted a position in the drug store of J. W. Pottenger, where he read medicine and practiced pharmacy. In 1878 he attended the St. Joseph Hospital Medical College, graduating from the same in the spring of 1879. Returning to Hiawatha he began the practice of his profession, to which he has since given his undivided attention. Dr. Lewis is a member of the State Medical Society of Kansas, also of the District Medical Association of Missouri. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., and is connected with both the Lodge and Encampment of Hiawatha. His wife was formerly Miss Ida Baker, whom he married in September, 1874 at Hiawatha.
STEWART LITLE, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Hiawatha, came originally from Virginia, where he was born in Harrison County, September 12, 1830. His attention was given to stock raising and farming in that State and Pennsylvania previous to coming to Kansas. This occurred in the spring of 1868, and he first settled on a farm near Atchison, but in the spring following removed to Brown County, and was one of the first white settlers on the Kickapoo reservation. Here he lived two years, then removed to Doniphan County, and from that time until March, 1882, farmed in Wolf River township; then removed to Brown County, purchased eighty acres of excellent land, which he is improving as rapidly as possible. Mr. Litle married, October 10, 1856, in Washington County, Pennsylvania, Miss Jane Litle, a native of that county and State. Both have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for a quarter of a century, and are now identified with that society at Hiawatha.
NATHANIEL D. LOOSE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 24, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, was born May 2, 1846, but reared on a farm in Sandusky County, in the same State. In 1863 removed to Monroe County, Mich, where he made his home until his removal to Kansas; this occurred in the fall of 1868, and he settled on his present farm during the year following. He is the possessor of 276 acres of the finest farm land in the county, all under cultivation, which he has improved himself, as he located on wild prairie. Mr. Loose taught school the winter of 1866-67 in Monroe County, Mich., and has served as a member of the Board of Education of his district for a number of terms. He has been a member of the Evangelical Church Society since he was fourteen years of age, and his grandfather, John Driesbach, was one of the founders of that sect in Pennsylvania. Mr. Loose and wife were original members of that church at Hiawatha. Mrs. Loose was formerly Miss Catherine Wonders. They were married in Ohio in 1868 and are the parents of three children - Flora M., John E. and Laurel A. They have also an adopted daughter - Eva Taylor.
ROBERT McQUILKIN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 81, P. O. Hiawatha, came originally from Indiana County, Pa. Born June 17, 1820. During early life he learned the carpenter trade, at which he was subsequently employed seven years, but since that time he has given his attention to farming. In May, 1869, Mr. McQuilkin started for Kansas to seek a wider field of labor, locating in Brown County on the same place where he now resides. This contains 120 acres, which he took right out of the wild expanse of prairie, but which he has cultivated and improved until it is now valued at fifty dollars per acre. He has a fine bearing orchard of 300 apple and nearly as many peach trees, also a grove of forest trees, all of which are of his own planting. The farm buildings are good and such as are necessary on a farm of these dimensions, and the whole is enclosed by a handsome hedge. Mr. McQuilkin was married in 1846, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Eliza Willets. Both are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, Hiawatha. They have six children - William L., Mary, Abner W., Hattie, Nannie and Martha.
JOHN MAGLOTT, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Hiawatha, was born near the city of Worms, in the village of Heppenheim on the Rhine, December 27, 1820. He lived on a farm with his parents until 1838, when all immigrated to the United States, locating in Richland County, Ohio, near Mansfield. Here his father improved a farm and died at the advanced age of ninety years and four months. In 1842 John moved to Andrew County, Mo., and from there to Kansas in the fall of 1855. Here he pre-empted a claim in Brown County and then returned to Missouri until the spring of 1856, when he brought his family to Kansas and located on a 160, for which he paid $100 (the claim he had he presented to one of his relatives). Here he has lived since improving his land and adding to it until he now has 460 acres, of which eight is native timber. Mr. Maglott was one of the earliest settlers in Hiawatha Township, and while Kansas was yet a Territory he served one term as Justice of the Peace. This satisfied his ambition as far as public office was concerned, and he has since avoided it. In November, 1844, he was married in Missouri to Miss Catherine Meisenheimer, who was born in the same place as himself. He and his wife are original members of the Evangelical Church at Hiawatha, and were most liberal contributors in the erection of the present edifice; the parents of five children - Louisa, married to John Barnum; Elizabeth, now Mrs. William Hauber; Mary, the wife of Jacob Moser; Barbara E., now Mrs. Frank Wonder; and George T. C., the son. He sold 176 acres of the home place and is living now in Hiawatha, having retired and quit farming.
HUGH H. MATHEWS, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Pennsylvania; born January 2, 1821, in Westmoreland County. During his young days he learned the tanner's trade, which he worked at until 1860, when he came west to Mercer County, Mo., where he commenced farming. In 1862 he volunteered with Company B, of the Twenty-seventh Missouri Infantry, and served his country faithfully until the close of the Rebellion. Then returned to Missouri, resumed farming, and in the spring of 1869 came to Kansas. After spending three years in examining the land and prospects in several different counties, he finally made Brown County his choice, and bought the farm where he now lives, which was partially improved. At the expiration of one year, however, he went to Jewell County, took up a homestead, lived on it three years, and then returned to the former place, where he still resides. Mr. Mathews was married in Brown County in 1872 to Mrs. Isabella Coe. Her father is still living at the advanced age of ninety-three years, and is the oldest man in Brown County.
AARON R. MAY, lawyer, of the firm of Lacock & May, was born at York, Pa., Feb. 28, 1840. Received an academic course of education in his native place and afterward read law in the office of H. W. Spangler. In 1867, he was admitted to the bar before the Hon. Robert J. Fisher, when he immediately entered into practice. During the spring of 1868, Mr. May came west to St. Joseph, Mo., where he opened a law office and practiced until March, 1870, this being the date of his location in Hiawatha, Kansas. He formed a co- partnership with Hon. B. F. Killey, and continued in the same firm up to July, 1880, when the firm was changed to Lacock & May. Mr. May was county attorney for Brown County during the years of 1871 and 1872, and was city attorney of Hiawatha from 1875 to 1880 inclusive. He was elected mayor of this city in 1878. Mr. May is a member of the Hiawatha Lodge No. 35, of the A., F. & A. M., a charter member of Mount Horeb Chapter, No. 43, and also a charter member of Hiawatha Commandery No. 13. His wife, Flora, to whom he was married in 1873 at Hiawatha, is a daughter of Hon. B. F. Killey. Mrs. May is a member of the Congregational Church.
ELI MOLL, a retired farmer, Section 28, P. O. Hiawatha, came originally from Pennsylvania, and was born, May 7, 1814, in Union County. His boyhood days were spent on a farm, and in the acquirement of an education. In 1836, he moved to Seneca County, Ohio, and the same year of his arrival there he was married to Miss Elizabeth Schoch, also a native of Pennsylvania. Here he followed the occupation of farming, and being energetic and a public spirited man, always took an active part in the enterprises of the locality in which he was, and was for many years connected with the United Brethren Church. In the spring of 1881, he came to Brown County and purchased the farm on which he now resides, all of which if under a high state of cultivation. It was formerly owned by W. B. Barnett, one of the first settlers in Hiawatha. The residence is a handsome two-story building, 34x34 feet, constructed of very fine cut stone, and adorned with a spacious piazza. The situation is slightly elevated, with a gradual slope toward the entrance to the grounds. These are embellished and beautified with drives, interspersed with ornamental and forest trees, and in their midst, throwing its clear, pure waters to a height of several feet, may be seen a fountain. These all form a delightful and most charming prospect, and one of the finest and most picturesque residences in that locality, three acres being devoted to the culture of choice fruit trees. The names of Mr. Moll's children are as follows:-Franklin C., a resident of Defiance, Ohio; William G., deceased, a soldier of the Union army, whose only child, Ella, lives near Hiawatha; Eliza S., married to David Decker of Brown County; Sarah C., now Mrs. Levi Close, of Doniphan County, Kansas; Eunice R., now Mrs. D. Rubert of Hiawatha; Hattie A., now Mrs. N. Chase, of Highland; Horace C. of Severance; Eva M., and Lily.
ISAIAH MONHOLLON, farmer, P. O. Baker, came to Kansas in 1861 with his parents, who located in Doniphan, where he lived until he was seventeen years of age. The intervening time, until he came to Hiawatha township, where he resides at present, was spent chiefly in Atchison, McPherson and Doniphan counties. Mr. Monhollon was born in La Clede County, Mo., December 5th, 1859, and lived in his native State until he was two years of age, when his parents removed to Kansas. He was married at Prairie Grove, April 2, 1881, to Miss Maryetta Robbins, a native of Ohio. They have one child, a son, whose name is Herbert Alexander.
GEORGE W. MONTGOMERY, proprietor of the Parlor Livery Stable, was born in Lake County, Ill., September 26, 1839. His father was Abel Montgomery, formerly a merchant of Waukegan, Ill., and a number of years, Sheriff. In 1857, he came with his parents to St. Joe, Mo., and for a time was on the mail- route line from that city to Marysville, Kan. This same year, he became station agent at Hiawatha, and afterwards was employed at freighting across the plains. In 1867, he settled in Doniphan County, improved a farm, and in August, 1869, came to Hiawatha. Here he opened a livery stable, the first in the town, and has since been a permanent resident of the place, with the exception of two years spent on his farm. Mr. Montgomery is a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 83, of the I. O. O. F., and was married in St. Joe, Mo, Dec. 5, 1862, to Miss Amanda Poynter. He was one of the illustrious 410, who dared cast their vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1861.
JOHN E. MOON, County Clerk and Secretary of the Kansas Mutual Life Insurance Company, was born in Leesburg, Kosciusko Co., Ind., March 13, 1846. His education was acquired at Notre Dame College, Indiana, Hillsdale College, Michigan, Western Union College (military), Fulton, Ill., and was finally completed at Eastman's Business College, Chicago. He took the latter course after the close to the Rebellion, in which he was a participant, first enlisting with Company E, of the One Hundred and Thirty- eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. In this he served three months, then re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-first Indiana Volunteers, during the fall of 1864, and served as First Lieutenant of Company B., until the close of the war. Mr. Moon came to Kansas in 1866, and for four years subsequent farmed near Topeka. In 1871, he removed to Hiawatha, where he clerked for the well-known firm of Grave & Barnett, druggists for four years, and for eighteen months afterward ran a drug store for himself, at Sabetha, this State. Returning to Hiawatha, he accepted the position of head bookkeeper in Morrill & Janes Bank, which he filled for four years, or until January, 1880. During the fall previous, he was elected Clerk of Brown County; in 1881 was re-elected to the same office. Mr. Moon has held various places of trust and prominence. Upon the organization of the Kansas Mutual Life Insurance Company, he was elected secretary and had officiated in that capacity since. He has served four years in the city council, two years being President, and for four years has been City Treasurer, holding that office at this writing. He is identified with the Agricultural Association of Brown County, and has served three years as treasurer of that organization. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., being a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 82, and Mr. Moon is one of the firm of Knapp, Moon & Davis, abstractors (sic) and real estate agents. He was married, April 2, 1867, in New London in Ohio, to Miss Malvina K. Price. She is one of the leading and influential members of the Congregational Church.
AZARIAH W. MOORE, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Orange County, VT., the date of his birth February 6, 1825. He followed farming in his native State until 1863, when he removed to Fond du Lac County, Wis., and continued his former occupation. While a resident of that State, he held several important offices in the township where he lived. In September, 1873, he came to Kansas, and for the first year lived in Hiawatha. Then moved onto his present farm, which he purchased directly after his arrival here. It was then all wild prairie, but he has it all under cultivation now, and also a fine bearing orchard of choice fruit trees. Mr. Moore has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Orinda Peck, whom he married in Vermont, in 1844, and who died in 1873. They had seven children, four of whom are still living. His present wife was Mrs. Fannie M. Woolbert, of New York State. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Hiawatha, while Mr. Moore has been connected with that denomination for more than forty years.
DAVID M. MOORE & CO., proprietors of the Hiawatha Stock Farm, Section 23, P. O. Hiawatha, came to Kansas in spring 1880. The firm consists of David M. and Joseph Moore. The former was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1830, and was extensively engaged in the merchandise line in that State for many years. Joseph was born in the same county, April 5, 1822, and for fifteen years was employed in the manufacture of woolen goods. During his later years however, his attention has been turned to agricultural pursuits. They have a fine large farm of 500 acres, all fenced and divided into fields, each of which is supplied with living springs, making excellent waterage for stock. They have over 100 head of fine graded cattle, some of which are pure thorough-breds' brought from Ohio, in 1881. Both of the above named gentlemen are thorough, practical business men, and know how to run an enterprise of this magnitude in order and to the best advantage, at the same time making of it a profitable investment.
EDMUND N. MORRILL is a native of Maine, where the family is very well known from the prominent part which its different members have taken in public affairs. He was born at Westbrook, Cumberland County, February 12, 1834. His education was received in the common schools, and afterwards at the Westbrook Seminary, and was of a thorough character. His taste for reading and study is a strong one; it has been cultivated all through life, even in the midst of engrossing cares, and has kept him at all times a well informed man, fully abreast of the times on all questions relating to education, religion, and public affairs. Young Morrill learned the trade of a tanner and currier in his father's shop, and has been all through life a man of industry and a hard worker. When twenty-one years old he engaged in the nursery business with John W. Adams. The next year he was elected a member of the School Board in Westbrook. When twenty- three years of age he sold his interest in the nursery business to his partner and came to Kansas, settling in Brown County, in March, 1857. The contest between slavery and freedom had not then been settled in this Territory, the slave laws being in force here, and slaves actually held in many counties. In framing the laws which finally expelled that institution from our borders, the young New Englander acted a manly part. He settled on the Walnut, at a place called Hamlin, a few miles south of the present town of Hamlin, and built a saw-mill. In October, 1857, Mr. Morrill was elected, from Brown and Nemaha counties, a member of the first Free-state legislature that ever met in Kansas, and bore a conspicuous part in repealing those "bogus" laws that had been enacted by non-residents, and the purpose of which was to utterly stifle free speech and a free press in all the territory between the Missouri River and the Rocky Mountains - the limits of Kansas at the time That Legislature has made an enviable name in our history; it comprised in its membership many firm, true, and able men who have left their impress upon our institutions. In January, 1858, Mr. Morrill was elected a member of the Legislature under the Lecompton Constitution, the Free-state men having determined if that instrument was forced upon them to hold the political machinery in their hands, and to administer upon the estate of the dead institution. With the close of their political troubles came a year of famine that will never be forgotten by the pioneers of that day - the drouth (sic) of 1860. The mill owned by Mr. Morrill and his partner was burned, and it is only telling the truth to say that Morrill and hundreds o others had very little to eat during those long, terrible months. Three months with nothing but green corn from the field, an a winter with corn meal as a luxury are vividly remembered. But very few despaired, and most people, including Morrill, were cheerful, rather intent on helping others than despondent in regard to themselves. The misfortunes of fire and famine were bravely encountered, and every debt contracted in the disastrous year was honorably paid. Morrill learned what suffering and poverty were, and few men in the county, or indeed in the State, have so frequently aided the poor, and helped old and young to secure homes and gain a livelihood. On the 5th day of October, 1861, Morrill enlisted as a private soldier at Fort Leavenworth, in Company C, Seventh Kansas Cavalry. He served as Sergeant until August, 1862, when he received an appointment as Commissary of Subsistence from President Lincoln. This appointment was made at the solicitation of Vice-President Hamlin, and without recommendation from any one. Captain Morrill was ordered to report to Gen. Grant, at Corinth, Miss. He took charge of the large stores at Forts henry, Heiman and Donelson. In January, 1864, he was sent to Clarksville, Tenn., and ordered to make purchases of flour and beef for Sherman's army. In these important posts millions of dollars worth of stores and supplies passed through Capt. Morrill's hands or were purchased by him. He stood the test of the great responsibility thrown upon him, and his integrity, promptness of action and executive ability were fully appreciated by the great commanders under whom he served. On the 20th of October, 1865, he was promoted and mustered out with the rank of Major, by brevet, for meritorious services. Maj. Morrill returned to Brown County and made his home in Hiawatha. At first he engaged in business with Mr. R. Scott Fairchild, and in January, 1871, went into the banking business. In 1866 he was elected Clerk of the District Court,, and was appointed County Clerk to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Joel G. Kelsey. In 1867 he was elected County Clerk. In 1868 he was re-elected Clerk of the District Court. In 1869 and 1871 he was re-elected County Clerk. In 1872 he was elected to the State Senate, and again in 1876. During his last term he was President pro tem of the Senate and Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. In the county and in the Legislature, Maj. Morrill's business sagacity and executive force were of great advantage to the people. In its business affairs and in its morals, Brown County is second to no other in the State, and Maj. Morrill has been largely instrumental in shaping her character and forming her destiny. He has also been very influential in securing two important railway lines, each of which traverses the entire county. While Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee in the Senate he devised the plan to tide the State over the financial difficulty created by changing the sessions of the Legislature from annual to biennial. His plan was also adopted for raising the means to build the new wing and the center of the State Capitol. Both of these measures have worked admirably, and for the good of the whole State. In the Legislature he has always been the firm friend of our State institutions, the charitable and the educational. He has worked to build up here at home schools and colleges that shall be equal to any in the land. His affections begin with the home and extend to the school, the church, the county, and the State. His whole practical example and influence have been on the side of temperance, good morals, education, and law. In 1876 Maj. Morrill wrote and published a history of Brown County. In 1882 he gave the city of Hiawatha a Public Library, the books and treasures of which are open for the free use of all the people of the county. In 1878 he contributed very largely for the relief of the suffering settlers in western Kansas, sending them large quantities of flour and supplies. Maj. Morrill has been repeatedly spoken of by the press of the State as the best man for Governor and for Congress. In the spring of 1882 the press brought him forward for Congress with singular unanimity. He would do nothing, however, in his own behalf, refusing to write letters or to go over the State advocating his own claims. In the June State Republican Convention he was nominated as Congressman from the State-at-Large, with three others, Maj. Morrill receiving the votes of 282 delegates, a larger number than that given to any other successful candidate. In the fall of 1882 he was elected to Congress by about 40,000 majority, running ahead of the ticket in some twenty counties. It was an election in which party lines were very loosely drawn, and when general political demoralization prevailed, but good character and sterling worth showed their strength. Maj. Morrill is a man about six feet tall, with broad shoulders and commanding figure - a prominent man in any assembly. Marked personal traits are is modesty, entire freedom from self-assertion, and accessibility. Mind and body were made for work; clear perception and quick judgment enable him to get rid of a vast amount of labor each day. He is a man in whom all can confide, and he is trusted with the most delicate and the most weighty duties. The number of men, women, and children who want his advice and aid is simply marvelous. They know that the advice will be sound and that no trust will be betrayed. His liberal and generous nature entertains charity for all, malice for none. As a citizen his public spirit is probably the most marked trait in his character. In the erections of schools, churches, and public buildings, in the planting of trees and the beautifying of grounds, he shows that he believes that "whoever can make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before," deserves better of mankind and does more essential service to his country than the whole race of politicians put together. It is said of the Emperor Augustus that he found Rome brick and left it marble. And it can truthfully be said of our citizen that he found Brown County a raw and treeless prairie, and that he has lived to see it and largely helped to make it a fertile garden, the home of thousands of happy, industrious, prosperous people. His public and his private acts stand the test of scrutiny. The competency that he has gained is the inevitable result of good habits, a clear head, and unflagging toil. He is cheerful, joyous, even-tempered, scattering blessings everywhere. "His armor is his honest thought and simple truth his utmost skill."
JOHN E. MORRIS, coal dealer and proprietor of the railroad stock scales at the Union Stock Yards, came to Hiawatha in the spring of 1870 and farmed for one year. He then embarked in the grain business with I. N. Speer, which he continued until February, 1880. At that time he purchased his present business, where he has since carried on an extensive trade in coal, brick, etc., his receipts for the year being about 300 cars of coal and 100,000 brick. Is also agent for the Consolidated Tank Line Co.'s oil at this place, handling about a car load a month. Mr. Morris was born in Seneca County, N. Y. Left there with his parents, removing to Michigan, where his occupation was that of a farmer. He was married in Kansas, during the fall of 1878, to Miss Emma Mitchell, daughter of the Rev. George Mitchell. Mr. Morris belongs to the I. O. O. F., both in the Lodge and Encampment, of Hiawatha.