|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MOSER - RUDD).
ELIAS MOSER, of the firm of Moser & McGilloray, agricultural implements, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, June 5, 1841. He was, however, reared in Missouri, where he removed with his parents while yet a lad, and it was there he received his education. During the spring of 1865 he came to Brown County, Kan., and purchased 160 acres of land on Section 32, Hiawatha Township. On this he still lives, and has indeed made of it a fine place. The land is all under a high state of cultivation. There are three acres of orchard, and all kinds of small fruit in abundance. Mr. Moser was a soldier of the Rebellion, enlisting for the first six-months' call in 1861, with the Fourth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, of the State Militia, and afterwards served in the Fifth Regiment of State troops. He was elected Sheriff of Brown County in 1866. The above firm was organized in the spring of 1881, and during the first season handled ten car-loads of machinery. Mr. Moser has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Elvira Carroll, of Missouri, to whom he was married in 1864. She died in 1873, leaving one daughter, Ida. During the fall of 1876 he wedded his present wife, whose maiden name was Kate Cobb.
JOHN MOSER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Switzerland, near Berne, March 26, 1826. He received a common school education, and was employed with his father, who was a brick and tile burner, until his immigration to this country, which occurred in the fall of 1854. He immediately sought his brother, in Andrew County, Mo., who had settled there as early as 1835. John remained there for a time, but in the spring of 1855 came to Brown County, Kan., and pre-empted the place where he now lives, being one of the first white settlers in the county, and the third in Hiawatha Township. He is proprietor of 860 acres of land, eighty of which is in native timber convenient for stock ranges; the remainder is under cultivation. There are ten acres of orchard, containing choice varieties of apple, peach and other kind of fruits, nearly all of which is advanced enough for bearing. Mr. Moser's residence is a large, two- story brick building, in a very pleasant situation, and commanding a fine view of the beautiful farming country surrounding it. The farm buildings are substantial and commodious, and everything around this well-kept farm presents a thriving appearance. During the Rebellion, Mr. Moser was enrolled with the State Militia for the suppression of the Price raid, so well remembered by residents of Kansas at that time. His wife's maiden name was Maglema Uenger. They were married in Switzerland, in 1852, and are the parents of eight children John, Mary, Godfred and Elizabeth, twins, Arnold, Elias, Anna and William F. Mrs. Moser is connected with the Evangelical Church of Hiawatha.
JACOB MOSER, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Hiawatha, was formerly from Andrew County, Mo., where he was born September 3, 1848. He is a son of Peter Moser, who settled in that vicinity as early as 1838. After acquiring a common school education, he worked on a farm with his father until the spring of 1871, when he became a resident of Brown County. He immediately became possessor of 160 acres of his present farm, which was partially improved. To this he has since added another quarter section, and has now one of the finest and best improved farms in this section of the country. There is a fine orchard, containing over 600 fruit trees of choice varieties. Mr. Moser is largely engaged in stock-raising, and for convenience in pasturing the same has his farm divided into fields by cross fences, besides being entirely surrounded by the same. He was married in this State, in 1871, to Miss Mary Maglott, whose father, John Maglott, settled in Brown County in 1858. They are the parents of three children, Ella Lee, Laura E. and Nora B.
FRANK MYERS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 10, Township 2, Range 16, P. O. Hamlin, was born in North Carolina, September 14, 1832. While he was but a small child, his father, David Myers, undertook to move his family to McDonough County, Ill., but when within thirty miles of his destination, he died. Frank was then taken by his uncle, Jonas Myers, who reared him. He lived in Illinois until May, 1856, when he came to Kansas and pre-empted 160 acres of the land where he lives, beginning improvements by erecting a log cabin, 16x18, and but one story. This was then the largest house in Brown County west of Hiawatha, and still standing on Mr. M.'s farm, having been replaced, however, by a more spacious and modern structure, and the former is now used as a workshop. He has since purchased more land, until he now has a fine, large farm of 320 acres, usually spoken of as the "Valley Farm," and its proprietor is considered by all to be one of the most practical and responsible farmers in the county. He was enrolled with the State Militia during the famous Price raid of the Rebellion. Was one of the organizers of the School District No. 2, and has been connected with the Board ever since. He held the office of Justice of the Peace of Walnut Township one term, and both he and his wife were original members of the Christian Church Society, which was organized in the schoolhouse on their farm, with a membership of sixteen. Mrs. Myers' maiden name was Mary M. Shelton. They were married in Illinois, in 1852, and are the parents of four children Iona A., Willie E. George L. and Laura H.
MARTIN C. NEFF, restaurant and confectionery, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, January 17, 1840, and previous to his emigration to Kansas, was engaged in the hardware and agricultural implement business, in DeWitt County, Ill. He served three years in the Rebellion, enlisting at Chicago, in 1861, with Company D, of the Fifty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was in all the principal engagements of his regiment with the exception of the last six months, when his health failed him, brought on by exposure during service. In April, 1873, Mr. Neff came to Kansas, locating on a farm near Hiawatha, this he ran four years, then served one year as Constable and Deputy Sheriff, and afterwards farmed again, until the fall of 1880, when he removed to the city, and opened his present business, where he has built up a lively and lucrative trade. He is a member of Hiawatha Lodge, No. 83, of the I. O. O. F. Was married in Illinois, in May, 1865, to Miss Caroline M. Reeves, of Erie County.
ALBERT L. NEWCOMB, dealer in groceries, is a native of New York; born January 12, 1841, in the city of Brooklyn, but was reared in Dutchess County. When thirteen years of age, he came West, to La Fayette County, Wis., and clerked for Stephenson & Co., merchants at Darlington. In 1869, he came to Hiawatha, and for a time clerked in a hardware store. He afterwards traveled for several extensive firms until the spring of 1876, when he opened business for himself at Hiawatha. Starting with a small but complete line of goods; he has by perseverance and industry worked up a large trade, and as a natural consequence has increased his stock three-fold, thereby requiring the attendance of three clerks. Mr. Newcomb is connected with the Congregational Church. Was married January 1, 1865, to Miss Emily F. Webster, of Kingsville, Ohio.
CHARLES V. NORTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 36, P. O. Hiawatha; was born near the city of Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, November 5, 1854. He immigrated to the United States, in 1862; lived in Illinois two years, then crossed the plains in 1864, and commenced freighting. In 1865, he went to St. Joe, Mo., and two years latter became a resident of Brown County, Kan.; located on a farm, nine miles east of Hiawatha, where he farmed, and was also engaged in freighting more or less up to 1868. Here he lived until 1876, then went to California, and engaged in farming, three years, near Santa Barbara, and at the expiration of that time, returned to Kansas, and permanently established himself on the farm where he now resides. He is possessor of 160 acres of land, all cultivated, and surrounded by a beautiful hedge. His farm is crossed by a fence, dividing it into fields, each of which is fed by a living spring, very convenient in stock-raising, in which he is largely engaged. Has a large apple and peach orchard as fine a one as is to be found in the county, and as this is fast becoming an important feature in Kansas; many fine ones are to be seen. Mr. Norton was married in 1871, in Brown County, to Miss Mary F. Vaughn, born in Main, but whose parents were early pioneers of Kansas. They have three children Abbie D., Bertie G., and Charley R.
NOBLE & APPLETON, proprietors of the new meat market. William O. Noble, senior member of this firm, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, October 28, 1845. Previous to coming to Hiawatha had been engaged in the meat market business for ten years, eight of which were passed at Oregon, Mo. In September, 1881, Mr. Noble came to Hiawatha, and established the above business, which has rapidly grown in trade and popularity, until they now kill eight or nine beeves per week, and keep one wagon busy peddling. John W. Appleton of this firm came to Hiawatha, from St. Joseph, Mo., in the spring of 1882, and became connected with the business. He had previously come to Kansas, in 1870, and had lived at Atchison, until 1878, where he was employed as car inspector on the Missouri & Pacific and A. & N. Railroads; following this same occupation after his removal to St. Joseph, Mo.
G. H. NORTON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, Township 3, Range 17, P. O. Hiawatha, Brown County, one of the owners of "Alliance" farm, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., May 19, 1849, and lived in his native State until his seventh year, when his parents removed to Kansas, locating in Hiawatha Township, Brown County, where Mr. N. has resided since. He was married March 26, 1878, in South Robinson, to Miss Luella J. White, a native of Illinois. They have one child, a daughter, named Nora. Mr. Norton and his brother Frank L., own together two farms. One, the home farm, is mostly bottom land and contains 280 acres. This farm lies on Drummond's Branch of the Wolf, and is all enclosed by substantial fences and has 150 acres in cultivation, the remainder being timber and pasture land. The orchard covers five acres and has 350 apple and a few peach and cherry trees. There is also a small vineyard on the place. The water supply is excellent and consists of the creek, springs, wells and cistern. The improvements are first-class in every particular, and consist of a large, new French cottage dwelling, with eight rooms, buttery and cellar, in short one of the finest dwellings in Hiawatha Township. It is surrounded by fine shade trees, evergreens and shrubbery. The other improvements are a frame barn, granary, corn crib, etc., etc. The other farm lies in Mission Township, and contains eighty acres of choice upland. This farm is also well improved by good fences, granary, etc., and is as good an "eighty" as there is in the county. The Norton Brothers raised this season 1,613 bushels of wheat on fifty acres. They also raised this year 5,000 bushels of corn, 400 bushels of oats, 150 bushels of potatoes and forty tons of timothy and prairie hay. They feed forty head of hogs, a car-load of cattle and keep thirty head of grade cattle, twenty- five head of stock hogs and seventeen horses and mules. The Messrs. Nortons are among the wide-awake, practical farmers of Brown, and speak in high terms of the county in which they live.
WILLARD W. NYE, physician and surgeon, began his literary course at Knox College, Galesburg, Ill., but quit his studies to participate in the Rebellion. His regiment was first sent to Fort Leavenworth, from there to Lexington, Mo., to relieve the first three months call; here he was taken a prisoner, but in the September following was paroled. He then re-enlisted and was again sent to Fort Leavenworth, where he was enrolled with the Eighth Kansas Regiment under Col. John A. Martin, of Atchison; here he served until the latter part of 1863, when ill health compelled him to quit the army. He, however, recovered sufficiently to re-enlist in the One Hundred Day corps and served until the close of the Rebellion in the One Hundred and Thirty- ninth Illinois Regiment. After the war he returned home, resumed his studies at Galesburg College. In 1870 Dr. Nye began the study of medicine and 1871-72 attended a course of lectures at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He then practiced his profession in Colorado until the winter of 1876, when he returned to college and resumed a course of lectures and graduated in the spring of 1877. He came to Hiawatha, Kan., in 1879, where he has since devoted his time to the practice of his profession. He is a member of the Hiawatha Lodge, No. 83, I. O. O. F. He was married in Iowa, November 10, 1874, to Miss Jennie McChesney.
JAMES H. PATTON, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, July 18, 1835. He received a common school education, and followed farming on the old homestead until the spring of 1881 when he came West, to make his future home in Kansas. In March, 1882, he purchased the farm where he now resides. Here he has seventy-two acres, all under a high state of cultivation, and entirely surrounded and crossed by a beautiful hedge, giving a very fine appearance to the place. The buildings are good and of a substantial order. There is a well kept orchard of 300 apple and peach trees bearing, and everything around this well-regulated farm, betokens thrift and economy. Mr. Patton served three years for his country, in the great Rebellion, volunteering in Company K, of the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Infantry. In 1865 he married Miss Mary J. McDowell. Both are connected with the United Presbyterian Church, Hiawatha.
HENRY E. PENNY, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Hiawatha, was originally from Cayuga County, N. Y., born November 9, 1837. His attention has always been given to farming, and in 1870 he came to Kansas, located near Hiawatha, on Section 34, where he improved a farm of 160 acres. Two years later he removed to Section 35, Padonia Township, spent some time in making improvements on a farm here, and in 1875 removed to Hiawatha, and commenced merchandising in company with John Shaw. This proved a successful enterprise, and he followed it until the fall of 1878, when he returned to his farm in Padonia Township. In 1879 he went to Severance, Doniphan County, and ran a hardware store until the fall of 1880, when he returned to Brown County and purchased a farm. This contains 160 acres, all finely improved, with ten acres of young orchard and all the conveniences pertaining to a first-class, well- regulated farm. Mr. Penny and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hiawatha. She was formerly Miss Mary A. Searing, and was married in New York. They have one daughter Mary E. Mr. P. is a member of Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, A., F. & A. M.
EDWARD S. PIEFFER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 27, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Crawford County, Pa., June 6, 1827. Here he lived on a farm with his parents, attending school, until the age of sixteen years, when he commenced to learn the tanner's and currier's trade. After perfecting himself in this branch, he made it his vocation during his residence East, and also followed it some in St. Joe, Mo., after taking up his claim in Kansas. On the 1st of May, 1857, Mr. Pieffer came to this State and took up the first claim adjacent to the town site of Hiawatha, a portion of which is now occupied by the County Agricultural Association. Here he resided until the spring of 1860, when he went to Colorado, where he was employed in the mines for several years. During his residence here he passed through an experience that will long live in the memory of those who participated in it. This was the great Indian scare at Denver, in 1862, which occurred at midnight. Men ran, some with hats, some without, some with one boot on and others none at all in fact there were all conceivable styles of dress necessary in such hurried toilets. They formed into line for battle, but alas, no Indians came. But finally coming to the conclusion that it was a false alarm, they disbanded and sought their homes and the remains of a badly broken night's rest. Another incident, which occurred about the same time, and that will present the character and bravery of the subject of our sketch more clearly to the minds of the people than we can portray; it occurred at the Cherry Creek freshet. A man fell into the river, and would inevitably soon have drowned. Five hundred men stood on the bank watching him, and out of this number not one offered to rescue him excepting Mr. Pieffer. He dashed into the seething, plunging waters, to save the man's life, which he did, amid the cheers of the multitude and the prayers and blessings of the drowning. During the year 1866 he returned to Brown County, and settled on a farm west of Hiawatha, now occupied as a fruit farm by Mr. Bubach. Lived there until 1877, then removed to his present location. He has a farm of 160 acres, all under a high state of cultivation, and excellent improvements in the shape of dwelling, barns, etc., in fact, every thing necessary on a first-class farm. He has a large orchard of peach and apple trees, all bearing, and among them are some of the choicest varieties. Mr. Pieffer was married in Hiawatha, February 14, 1867, to Miss Celinda Barnum, whose father kept the first hotel in Hiawatha. His name is Seth Barnum. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church. Their family consists of four children Thomas C., Seth C., Jacob J., and Polly M.
JOHN W. POTTENGER, druggist, was born in Preble County, Ohio, September 3, 1825. He was reared on a farm, and followed that vocation previous to coming to Kansas. Came to this State in 1869, and took up a farm in Brown County. Three years later he removed to Hiawatha, started a drug store, and is now the oldest continual druggist in Brown County. He commenced business in a small building on Sixth street, just in the rear of Morrill & Janes' bank, with only $3,000 capital, but has, by close attention to business, and careful study of the wants and demands of the people, worked up a large and lucrative trade. In 1881 he erected a large brick store, 100x25, and two stories high. This is filled from cellar to roof with a large and choice stock of drugs, amounting to between $18,000 and $20,000, and requires the attendance of five clerks to satisfy the demands of the public. Mr. Pottenger also operates two farms, situated one and a half miles north of the city, one consisting of 160, the other of eighty acres. He has served two terms as Councilman of Hiawatha. Was married in Ohio, in 1862, to Miss Emma Morehead, of West Virginia, by whom he has one daughter, Jennie.
DAVID PRAY, proprietor of the Transfer Mail and Express Line at Hiawatha, is a native of Canada, born September 2, 1828. He came to Kansas in January, 1868, locating in Walnut Township, on a farm. In May following commenced his present business, for which he is excellently adapted, as he had twenty years' experience in that line in Lowell, Mass., previous to coming to this State. His business has increased to such an extent that he now runs three teams, and every thing about his office denotes business energy and competency. Mr. Pray served two years in the war as a volunteer in the Fifteenth Massachusetts Light Artillery, serving as Stable Sergeant.
SAMUEL M. PRATT, physician and surgeon, of the homopathic school, was formerly from Vermont, born in Washington County, December 2, 1835. He is the son of Asaph and Hermione Pratt, both of the old Puritan stock. His mother's family name was Clark. They removed to Bureau County, Ill., in 1845, and here the subject of this sketch spent his youth, attending school and clerking in his father's store. His parents are still residents there. In 1861 Dr. Pratt graduated from the Homopathic Medical College of Missouri, and one year later was appointed Assistant Surgeon in the great Rebellion, by Gov. Yates. He was assigned to duty in the Mound City Hospital of Illinois, where he served until the latter part of 1863. Returning to Bureau County, in the same State, he resumed his regular practice there until the spring of 1871, when he came to Hiawatha, Kan., and has since followed his profession there. He was the first physician of that school in the county. Dr. Pratt is identified with the Homopathic State Medical Society of Kansas and the Western Institute of Homopathy. He is also connected with the following organizations: Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, A., F. & A. M.; Mount Horeb Chapter, No. 43, R. A. M.; Hiawatha Commandery, No. 13, K. T.; Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338, K. of H. and K. & L. of H., being an instigator of the two latter. His wife's maiden name was Lizzie M. Martin, to whom he was married in Illinois, in 1864. They have one daughter, Myrtle.
GEORGE T. PRICER, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Ross County, Ohio, born September 5, 1857, son of John and Jane Pricer; the former died in Ohio in 1858. George T. came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, and purchased the farm where he now resides. This contains eighty acres of choice farming land, highly cultivated, and about the best improved eighty in that section of the country. There are about 250 fruit trees of different species, and some very choice varieties, all bearing. Mr. Pricer was married September 21, 1881, to Miss Emma Meanor, of Hiawatha. They are both members of the Presbyterian Church of that city.
JOHN PUNSHON, foreman of the locomotive department at Hiawatha, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, is a native of England, born January 12, 1825, in County Durham. Learned the trade of machinist at New Castle, and upon the completion of the same, commenced railroading in 1846, as engineer on the Caledonia Railroad, running from Carlisle, England, to Edinburgh, Scotland. Here he was employed for two years, then went to France and was an engineer on the Boulogne & Amiens Railroad, but at the time of the Louis Philippe Revolution, he returned to England. This occurred in 1848, and from that time until 1850, he worked in the machine shops in New Castle. He then ran an engine for three years, at the expiration of which time he immigrated to the United States. Upon arriving here, he accepted a position as engineer on the Grand Trunk Railroad; here he worked for three years; on the Great Western four years, then came to Kansas and settled on a farm four miles northeast of the present site of Hiawatha, with the intention of withdrawing from railroad life. In 1862, however, he recommenced in that business as engineer on the Hannibal & St. Joe line, and in 1868, changed to the St. Joe & Council Bluffs. During the spring of 1868, he engaged with the Northern Kansas & Southern Nebraska Railroad, running from Ellwood to Troy, being the terminus of the road now known as the St. Joe & Western. January 29, 1870, he ran the first engine into Hiawatha, and was employed on the above road until his acceptance of his present position. Mr. Punshon is a well- known and social gentleman, better known as Uncle Johnny, and is a general favorite with the railroad men, being a thorough one himself. He is an early member of the Engineer Brotherhood, and is now an honorary member. He was a charter member of the first Masonic lodge organized in the Territory of Kansas, and is now a member of the Mount Horeb Chapter, No. 43, and Hiawatha Commandery, No. 13. He is also a member of Smithton Lodge, No. 1, Kansas. He was married in Illinois, November, 1855, to Miss Ann M. Crabb, a native of that State. Mr. Punshon has always been a strong temperance man, and during his whole railroad career never met with an accident.
WILLIAM RADFORD, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Hiawatha, was born November 10, 1834, in Hampshire, England. He immigrated to the United States in 1848, with his parents, who settled in Genesee County, N. Y., as farmers. They subsequently removed to Winnebago County, Ill., in 1851, thence to Howard County, Iowa, in 1855, where they were living at the breaking out of the Rebellion. The subject of this sketch enlisted in 1861 with the Third Iowa Light Artillery, serving until the close of the war, and veteraned in the same battery, in 1864, then returned to Iowa, and in the fall of 1866, was married to Miss Ellen Palmer. In January, 1868, Mr. Radford came to Kansas, and settled on a farm, and here he still lives, a thriving, prosperous farmer. He owns 200 acres of land, which he purchased from the U. P. R. R., and which of course was then unimproved. He has since, however, converted it into a fine cultivated farm, with all the many appurtenances thereto, such as good comfortable buildings, fruit orchard of 300 trees, and about twenty acres of native timber. Mr. Radford has served ten years on the School Board of his township, besides filling other positions of trust here. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church of Hiawatha. They have five children Annie E., Edmund W., Ray R., Adelbert, and Fannie E.
J. BARNEY RAFF, head miller in the Hiawatha steam mills, is a native of Canton, Ohio, born April 1, 1835. Commenced learning the miller's trade in 1849, at Massillon, and six years later came to Davenport, Iowa; here he lived until March, 1862, then removed to Atchison, Kan., and was head miller in the city mills for seven years. At the expiration of that time was employed in the Fery Mills of that city, and subsequently in Doniphan County until his location in Hiawatha, in April, 1882, when he accepted his present position. Mr. Raff is one of the oldest continual millers in the State. He has been married twice; the first time at Davenport, Iowa, in 1859, to Miss Adeline Cole, who died in 1879. The second time to Miss Emilie J. Kerrigan, of Utica, N. Y. He is a member of the Masonic order, Washington Lodge, No. 5, of Atchison.
RICHARDSON & JONES, attorneys-at-law. This firm was organized in February, 1882, and transacts a general law business. The senior member, William J. Richardson, is a native of Canada, born June 21, 1845, at Waterloo. He was a graduate of Toronto University, in 1866, and immediately began reading law. Was admitted to the bar in November, 1868, and practiced in Canada until April, 1870, then came to the United States, and located at Hiawatha, Kan. Three years later, he was elected Police Judge of that place, and for the past nine years has been Justice of the Peace there. In 1873, Mr. Richardson became a partner of Hon. A. L. Jones, who is now a prominent lawyer at Valparaiso, Ind. They continued together until the fall of 1874, and from that time until the organization of the above firm, Mr. Richardson practiced his profession alone. He is at present City Attorney of Hiawatha, which he has held two terms. Richard C. Jones, of this firm, is a young but promising lawyer, who was admitted to the bar in January, 1882, before Hon. David Martin. Was born in Brown County, this State, in 1860, and received his education in the district schools of that county, completing it at the State Agricultural College, Manhatten. He was the first native born that received a teacher's certificate from Brown County, and followed that vocation four years, then gave his attention to reading law, which he pursued in the office of Mr. Richardson, now his partner. He was the youngest attorney admitted in the District, and is now a member of one of the leading firms of Hiawatha.
ROBERTS & BRUNDAGE, proprietors of the Weekly Kansas Herald. This paper was established in 1874 as the Brown County Advocate, and was edited by Davis & Roberts. It was published under that title until September 2, 1875, when it was changed to the Kansas Herald and its proprietors Burger, Roberts & McCreary; by them it was conducted until April 6, 1876, when Mr. McCreary retired, Burger & Roberts, continuing publication until August 12, 1877, when M. E. Foote succeed D. L. Burger, January 1, 1878. Then the paper was changed from an eight-page quarto, patent, to a seven-column folio, home print. Roberts & Foote continued the publication of this until the winter of 1879, when it was made an eight- column folio, home print. In February, 1882, they put a Campbell power press and steam engine in and enlarged the paper by making the columns fifteen ems in width and twenty-eight inches in length eight-column paper. May 12, 1882, M. E. Foote sold his interest to T. L. Brundage. Roberts & Brundage still continue its publication; circulation 1,700, being read in many of the surrounding counties. Mr. Roberts was born in Lee County, Iowa, March 4, 1843; farmed, when a boy, in Illinois. Printing has been his trade; came to Kansas in 1868. Mr. Brundage was born in Yates County, N. Y., May 6, 1847; followed the vocation of a farmer until recent years; moved to Michigan in 1865; came to Kansas in 1877; has been engaged as an underwriter for the past few years. The Weekly Kansas Herald employs no foreign agents, allows no patent medicine advertisements place in its columns, enjoys the esteem of even its political enemies, and is regarded as the only reliable paper on earth by everybody, and its proprietors. An extensive job printing establishment is in connection with the paper. The Kansas Herald was the first to introduce steam power in its operations in this section of the State.
ALFONZO ROBINSON, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Hiawatha, came to Brown County, Kan., as early as June, 1857, and took up a claim of 160 acres, upon which he still lives and which he pre-empted January 8, 1858. This he has improved until he now has one of the best farms in that section of the country, entirely fenced with a fine Osage orange hedge, and divided into fields by cross fences. Alfonzo was born in Franklin County, Me., February 1, 1835. Came West with his father to Wisconsin in 1850, where the latter died in 1866. Alfonzo was married February 26, 1860, to Frances A., daughter of Thomas and Hannah Chandler, who settled in Kansas, in 1857, on the southeast quarter of Section 2, Range 17, Brown County, and were formerly from Maine. The former died February 8, 1881, in Hiawatha, where his wife and children, who still survive him, live. During the early part of his residence in this State, Mr. Robinson was engaged one season at freighting across the plains, and during the war of the Rebellion was enrolled among the State Militia for the purpose of the suppression of the Price raid, so well remembered by the participants thereof.
W. H. C. RUDD, jeweler, is a native of Oneida County, N. Y., born May 2, 1846. While yet a lad, he removed to Philadelphia, where nearly twelve years of his life were spent. In March, 1877, came to Hiawatha, established his present business, and is the oldest jeweler in the county. He carries a very large stock of fine and well-selected goods, and is skilled in every department of his work, having had nearly twenty-five years' experience in that line, two of which were spent in the finishing department of the Elgin Watch Factory, and one with the famous Seth Thomas Clock Company at Thomaston, Conn. He carries about $6,000 in stock, and has a large and lucrative trade, which, by strict attention to business, he has gradually acquired, his capital growing with his trade from the original outfit of $1,400. He is now one of the leading merchants of the county, and by his square and honest dealing, has won the confidence and respect of the entire public. Is a member of Hiawatha Lodge, No. 83, of the I. O. O. F.