|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (GIBSON - KREBS).
THOMAS J. GIBSON, dentist, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., August 31, 1829. He received an academic course of education, and at the age of nineteen years began the study of dentistry. He subsequently attended one course of the Baltimore Dental College in 1853, and since that time has been in the constant practice of his profession. Was married at Milwaukee, Wis., in 1866, to Miss Joanna Enright, and in 1870 went to California to reside. The climate did not agree with his wife's health, however, and he was obliged to seek another locality. By the advice of Dr. Samuels, of Omaha, Neb., he settled at Falls City, same State, where he practiced successfully until 1876. At that time he came to Hiawatha, and is the oldest resident dentist in Brown County, and the oldest in years of any in the State. Mr. Gibson served three years and six months in the Confederate army, as Brevet-Colonel in J. C. Breckenridge's Corps, and during that time was wounded five times, but none of a serious nature.
JAMES T. GRIMES, senior member of the firm of J. T. Grimes & Bro., wholesale and retail dealers in pumps, windmills, etc., was formerly from Rockford, Ill., where he was born October 1, 1841. he learned the plumbers' trade, and was employed in that line of business from the spring of 1867, until he came to Kansas, twelve years later. he served three years in the war of the Rebellion with Company A. of the Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry. In November, 1879, Mr. Grimes came to Hiawatha and established the above business, of which a decided success has been made. The firm keep four teams traveling through Brown and the surrounding counties, for the sale and delivery of goods. they also operate a well augur, which is a new but very much needed enterprise in Hiawatha. He was married on December 4, 1867, at Rockford, Ill., to Miss Jane M. Cox, of that city.
CORNELIUS GRISSON, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Tennessee, born June 23, 1832. When ten years of age went with his mother to Illinois, where they lived for a time in Springfield; subsequently removed to Union County, same State; thence to Mason County, and here the subject of this sketch was married in 1866, to Miss Nancy E. Hale. During the spring of 1868 he came to Kansas, purchased some unimproved land, and proceeded to make a home here, which he has certainly done, as a visit to his well-regulated, finely improved farm will testify. He is the possessor of 260 acres, all under cultivation with the exception of forty acres of native timber. Their family comprises four daughters and four sons.
JAMES G. HANNA, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 34, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Huron County, Ohio. Was born October 3, 1841. Was reared on a farm, and in 1861 volunteered in the first three month's call, when the Government issued orders for troops. He was not enrolled, however, but subsequently enlisted in what was known as Hoffman's Battalion, in which he served his country nineteen months. December 23, 1864, he married Miss Harriet M. Heller, who was born in the same county as himself. During the spring of 1868 he came to Kansas, settled on Section 35, Hiawatha Township, and improved a farm of 160 acres. Here he lived until the spring of 1874, when he sold out, with the intention of going to Oregon to live, but being disappointed with the country, he returned to Kansas, and purchased the land where he now lives but the improvements have all been put on it by himself. Mr. Hanna has made a decided success of farming in this State, and thinks that Kansas surpasses the Eastern States in that respect. He has not had a failure of crops for fourteen years. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He and his wife are connected with the First Baptist Church, Hiawatha. They are the parents of two daughters-Ada A., and Ella J.
JOSEPH D. HARDY, farmer, section 3, P. O. Hiawatha, came to Kansas in March 1858, and in the April following pre-empted the land comprising a part of the farm where he now lives. He however located at Hiawatha, commenced freighting from White Cloud, and pursued this and various other pursuits until he began improving his land. In August, of 1860, on account of the extreme drought, he returned to New York, and in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, of the One Hundred and Eighteenth New York Infantry, and served until the close of the Rebellion. He however still retained his claim, and in 1866 returned to it, and has since resided there. Is the possessor of 360 acres, all improved, and is quite largely engaged in stock-raising. Mr. Hardy was born at Westport, Essex County, N. Y., August 2, 1835, and during the early portion of his life, or until he first came to Kansas, devoted his time to school teaching. In June, 1866, he was married to Margaret, daughter of John and Margaret Ormiston, who were of Scotch origin. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church. They have two daughters-Isabel and Linda. In 1873 Mr. H. was elected Representative from Brown County, and has always been identified with the promoters of the welfare of the town and county. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812, while his grandfather was a participant in the Revolutionary war.
WILLIAM HAUBER, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Hiawatha, first became a resident of this State in the spring of 1857, coming here with his parents. However, when of age, which was in 1859, he returned to Andrew County, Mo., where he had been raised, but was born in Clark County, Ill., October 31, 1838. In 1862 he enlisted with Company E, of the Thirty-fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the Rebellion, after which he came to Kansas again in 1865. Lived with his parents till the fall of 1867, when he purchased the land comprising his present farm, which he has broken and cultivated from its original wild state. He is the possessor of 104 acres, with good substantial improvements, in the way of residence and farm buildings, and a fine orchard. Mr. Hauber's wife, Lizzie, is a daughter of John Maglott, of Hiawatha Township. They were married in 1870, and are the parents of five sons-John F., George U., Martin H., Daniel C., and Oscar O.
THOMAS J. HAYES, attorney-at-law, was born in Brown County, Ohio, March 4, 1850. His education was acquired in the high schools of Chenoa, Ill., after which he read law at Bloomington, in the same State, in the office of Carr Brothers, and in 1872 was admitted to the bar. On the 15th of March, 1873, removed to Cherokee, Crawford Co., Kan. Was admitted to the bar in this State before Hon. B. W. Perkins, now a member of Congress. Practiced law in Cherokee, Kan., with A. D. Polk; now a prominent lawyer in Minneapolis, Minn. (under the firm name of Hayes & Polk). Removed to Watertown Iowa, in 1875, and continued the practice of law under the firm name of Hayes & Polk. Also owned a set of abstracts of Black Hawk County, Iowa. Removed to Sabetha, Kan., in May, 1876. Was married to Miss Ella S. Herbert, of Hiawatha, Kan., July 31, 1877. Removed to Eldorado, (sic) Kan., August 3, 1877, and from there to Hiawatha, Kan., February 1879, where he now lives. He has held the following offices: City Attorney of Chenoa, Ill., Justice of the Peace in Cherokee, Kan., and is now a member of the City Council of Hiawatha, Kan., and County Attorney of Brown County. He is a member of the following Lodges-Odd Fellows, K. of H., K. & of L. H.
DANIEL HAZEN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23; P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Vermont, on an island in Lake Champlain, August 13, 1828. Arriving at the age of twenty-one years, he removed to Franklin County, N. Y., where he was engaged in farming and merchandising until his emigration to Kansas. This transpired in the spring of 1871, when he settled in Brown County. Mr. Hazen is proprietor of the farm where he lives, which contains 160 acres, also of a quarter section in the same township, Section 11. In addition to this he has 300 acres in Nemaha County. His home farm is under a high state of cultivation, and finely improved, and this, when he became possessor of it, was wild, unbroken prairie land. He has set out a great many choice fruit trees, until he now has about four acres in fruit culture. He engaged in stock-raising quite extensively, having now on hand about fifty head of graded cattle. He was married in Vermont, in 1847, to Miss Laura Kinsley, of that State. While a resident of New York State, Mr. Hazen served as Justice of the Peace several terms, and held several other positions of trust. His experience of twelve years living in this State, has convinced him that the climate of Kansas is unexcelled for healthfulness, and as far as agricultural interests are concerned, goes far ahead of the old Vermont hills, and also of New York.
LYNN S. HERBERT, Police Judge, Justice of the Peace, and Insurance Agent, was formerly from Pennsylvania; born November 29, 1822, in Fayette County. Received a liberal education in the high schools of his county, and during his residence in that State, made teaching his vocation, with the exception of the years between 1862 and 1868, when he was engaged in general merchandise. Mr. Herbert came to Kansas in June, 1872. He selected Hiawatha for his future home, then returned to his native State, and in the September following, moved his family to their western home in Kansas. His time has been mostly devoted to school teaching. Mrs. Herbert was formerly Harriet J. Roberts. They were married in Pennsylvania in 1848. Both are members of the First Presbyterian Church, of Hiawatha, and Mr. Herbert belongs to Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, A., F. & A. M. Their family comprises seven daughters and one son; all of the girls have held certificates for teaching school.
MORRIS HESSELBERGER, of the firm, S. Hesselberger & Co., dry-goods and clothing, is a native of Germany, born in Hesse-Darmstadt, March 29, 1839. Immigrated to the United States in 1856, and lived with his uncle at New Haven, Connecticut, where he attended school. During the spring of 1860, he came to Atchison, Kan., and until 1864, was extensively engaged a freighting across the plains to the mountains and as far as Salt Lake City, sometimes running as many as ten four-muled teams. After this he settled in Cheyenne City, started a grocery store, and until 1876, was a successful merchant in that place. He then came to Hiawatha, opened a dry-good and clothing store, and was the second exclusive store of the kind in the city. Mr. Hesselberger belongs to the Masonic fraternity, also to the K. of H., Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338. He was married in Chicago, in 1869, to Miss Henrietta Gacobi, who was born in Baden, Germany. Both are members of the K. & L. of H., of Hiawatha.
EDWARD HOYE, of the firm of Hall & Hoye, meat market, is a native of Summit Co., Oiho (sic), born February 29, 1852. He came to Hiawatha in 1871 and commenced working in a meat market which has since been his vocation. In the spring of 1879 he became a partner with Mr. Hall, and they are now doing a heavy and prosperous trade. Mr. Hoye is connected with both the lodge and encamptment(sic) of the Odd Fellows society at Hiawatha; is a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 35, and Mount Horeb Chapter No. 43, of the A., F.& A. M., and of Hiawatha Commandery No. 13. Sebastin (sic) C. Hall, senior member of this firm, hails from Virginia; born in 1844. Came to Kansas in 1865, commenced freighting across the plains, and afterwards spent a number of years in the mines of Colorado. In 1873 he returned to Kansas, located at Hiawatha, and previous to embarking in this business in 1875, was employed at various occupations. Mr. Hall is a member of Hiawatha Commandery No. 13; Hiawatha Lodge No. 35, and Mount Horel chapter No. 43, of the A., F., & A. M., and is one of the live business men of Hiawatha.
ALBERT H. HULSE, of the firm of Hulse & Kinsey, druggists, was born at Troy, Doniphan Co., Kas., February 2, 1859; his parents were Richard and Ester A. Hulse, who settled at Troy in 1856 and began farming, where they still reside. In 1881 Albert H. Hulse came to Hiawatha from Atchison, where he had been in the drug business two years. On July 4, of this year, he established this business house, and on the 17th of August following, Mr. Kinsey became his partner. The store is 80x24, of modern design, and about the finest finished in the inside of any store-room in the State. The style of shelving originated with Mr. Hulse; the counters are of elegant jet finish, lined with gold. The shelving is in eight-foot sections, all enclosed with plate-glass, in a sash sliding upward. The face of the divisions between the sashes is covered with elegant plate-glass mirrors, which gives it a very beautiful appearance indeed. Their stock is choice and complete in every detail; in fact, the entire establishment is such as is seldom met with outside of large cities. F. A. Kinsey, of this firm, is a native of Indiana, born in April, 1857. Came with his mother to Kansas, in 1870, locating in Troy, and previous to coming to Hiawatha, was engaged in merchandising.
JOHN E. HUNTER, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Hiawatha, was born October 19, 1826, in Lawrence County, Pa. Is a son of Thomas and Margaret Hunter, who were of Scotch-Irish descent, his mother's family name, Elder. John E. learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed, during his early life. In the fall of 1881, he came to Kansas and purchased the farm where he now lives. This consists of eighty acres of well improved farm land, surrounded and divided into five fields (convenient for pasturing stock) by a beautiful hedge fence. He has also a fine young orchard, bearing, of over 200 choice fruit trees. Mr. Hunter married in his native State, in 1854, to Miss Jane Patton, by whom he has three children - William E., Mary E., and James E.
STEPHEN HUNTER, Sheriff of Brown County, was born in Wayne County, Mich., August 15, 1843. Came with his parents, William and Sarah Hunter, to Kansas in 1860. His father purchased a farm in Padonia Township, Brown County; his mother's maiden name was Ross. In 1863, Mr. Hunter enlisted at Falls City, Neb., in the Second Nebraska Volunteer Cavalry, and for one year served on the frontier of Dakota and Nebraska. At the expiration of that time he returned to Kansas, and commenced farming in Brown County, which he continued until the time of his election to County Sheriff in the fall of 1879. In 1881 he was re-elected to the same office, and was the first man to serve two terms in that capacity, in the county. Mr. Hunter was married at Highland, Doniphan Co., Kan., in 1870, to Miss Lizzie Simpson, of New York City. He belongs to the Knights of Honor.
LORENZO JANES, retired banker, was originally from Vermont; was born February 19, 1806, in South Hero, Grand Isle County. His parents moved to Georgia, Franklin County, in the same State, when he was a lad of about fifteen years, where they were engaged at farming. In the early part of 1830, he was married to Miss Lucena M. Pose, whose father died in 1882, at the advanced age of ninety-eight years. In 1831 he commenced in the mercantile business at Georgia, and followed it until 1850. Both himself and wife worship with the Congregationalists. He was Town Clerk and Treasurer of Georgia, Vt. for thirteen consecutive years. In 1842 he represented the Town in the State Legislature. In 1851 he, with his family, moved to St. Albans, Franklin County, where he began in the mercantile business and took an interest in the First National Bank of that place, and was one of its directors. In the spring of 1870, he went with C. D. Lawrence to Hiawatha, Kan., and in the January following he became a member of the banking house of Barnett, Morrill & Co., and in 1874, he moved with his family to Hiawatha, where they still live. Charles H. Janes, eldest son of the above and junior member of the banking firm of Morrill & Janes, was born in Georgia, Vt., December 2, 1837. He was a graduate of the high school of that State, and was afterward book-keeper in his father's store at St. Albans; he came to Kansas in January, 1871, becoming cashier and representing his father's interests in the firm of Barnett, Morrill & Co. In 1876 he became a partner in the same, purchasing his father's interest. He is a member of the Banker's Mutual Aid Society, and was one of the instigators of the Hiawatha Building Company, which was a capital of $25,000; also of the Hiawatha Hotel Company, with a capital of $20,000. He was married in New York City, in 1862, to Miss Mary T. Banta, of that place.
LIEUT. CHARLES W. JOHNSON, County Attorney of Brown County, was formerly from Hickman County, Tenn., where he was born September 19, 1834. He is the son of Hugh and Lucinda Johnson, his father dying when Charles W. was only six months old. His mother afterward married Benjamin Johnson, brother of the deceased, who came to Tennessee from Illinois, to settle up his brother's estate; after the marriage they returned to Bond County, Ill., where Charles W. was reared and educated at Georgetown, Ill., under the tuition of J. P. Johnson, now of Highland, Kan., and in 1858 entered McKendree College at Lebanon, where he was a student for two years. He then commenced reading law, and August 4, 1862, enlisted as a private in Capt. Harries' command of the One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After serving until February, 1863, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and served in this capacity until the close of the Rebellion. His regiment participated in the siege of Vicksburg, and various prominent battles, and was afterward transferred to the Department of the Gulf and took part in the first and second Red River expeditions. Lieut. Johnson was captured at the battle of Mansfield, April 8, 1864, and was detained a prisoner at Camp Ford at Taylor, Texas, until the close of the war. Returning to his old home in Illinois, he entered the law office of William H. Herndon, formerly a partner of President Lincoln, and in April, 1867, was admitted to the bar. His first practice was in Springfield, Ill., where he opened an office, and March 25, 1868, was married in that city to Miss Annie E. Ogden, of Owego, N. Y. During the fall of 1869 he came to Hiawatha, Kan., opened an office and has since practiced his profession there and at Atchison, where he lived from 1874 to 1879. He was elected to his present office in 1880. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is identified with Washington Lodge, No. 5, of Atchison.
PERRY JOHNSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 30, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Indiana, July 7, 1838, but was reared in Knox and Warren counties, Ill. In 1858 he crossed the great plains of the West, and during the Rebellion acted as scout for the Union army for nearly three years, making his headquarters at Fort Leavenworth, Kas. He lost two brothers during the war, who were killed while serving in the same capacity as himself. In March, 1877, he came to Kansas for the purpose of making a home for himself and family, and in the June following moved to his present residence. He owns 144 acres of land, all under a high state of cultivation, with about five acres of orchard bearing fruit. In the fall of 1879 his residence was destroyed by fire, but it was immediately replaced by a good substantial structure, one and one-half stories high. His farm is well supplied by a good barn and outbuildings, and, in fact, everything pertaining to a well regulated farm. Mr. Johnson was married October 20, 1862, in Illinois, to Miss Mary Davis, and previous to coming to Kansas was a resident of Fremont County, Iowa, for nine years..
JOHN W. KAUFMAN, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Union County, Pa., March 27, 1846. When fifteen years of age he enlisted in the great Rebellion with the One Hundred and Sixty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Company A, at the first three months call. After serving four months he returned home, and soon after removed to Sandusky County, Ohio, where he followed the occupation of farming. Here he was married in October, 1868, to Miss Sarah A. Tea, a native of the same State as himself. He subsequently came to Kansas, and for two years operated his father's farm, on Wolf river, in Doniphan County, then removed to Iowa Township, improved a wild prairie farm of 160 acres, and in 1879 changed his place of abode to Leona, same county. Here he improved another farm, on which he lived till the spring of 1881, when having a chance to sell out with decided advantage to himself, he did so, and immediately came to Brown County and purchased the farm where he now lives. During his residence in Doniphan County Mr. Kaufman held the office of Justice of the Peace, and always took an active part in all public enterprises. He is a member of both the Masonic and Odd Fellow's fraternity, the latter in the lodge at Leona, Doniphan County.
LEWIS KESLER, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Hiawatha, is the son of Ambrose Kesler, who came to Kansas in May, 1858, and located in Walnut Township, Brown County. Here Lewis lived until December, 1879, when he was married to Miss Katie L. Schafer, of Illinois, when he commenced farming for himself. During the spring of 1881 he purchased eighty acres of land, which comprises his present farm. This is all under a high state of cultivation and nicely improved. Mr. Kesler was born October 1, 1857. He and his wife are members of the Evangelical church at Hiawatha. They have one infant son, unnamed.
MICHAEL L. KLINEFELTER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 26, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Morrill County, Ohio, August 13, 1841. He has always followed the occupation of farming, first at home with his parents until twenty-three years of age, then started at the business for himself. He served four months in the Rebellion with Company I, of the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Was married February 16, 1865, to Miss Maria Shell, who was born in Germany, on the Rhine, but came with her parents to the United States while yet a little child, locating in Morrill County, Ohio. In 1869 Mr. K. emigrated to Kansas, and in the fall of the same year established himself on his present place. This contains 160 acres, which he has improved from wild, unbroken prairie land. It is all under fence, and contains a choice apple and peach orchard of seven acres. His family consists of five children, Laura E., Maggie E., John S., Cora M., and Effa.
JACOB K. KLINEFELTER, of the firm of Speer, Klinefelter & Ely, attorneys-at-law and loan and collecting agents, was born in Columbia'a (sic) County, Ohio, August 8, 1837, but was reared in Morrow County, where his parents removed while he was an infant. His parents Joseph and Elizabeth Klinefelter, were extensive farmers in that locality, and in 1857 they came to Brown County, Kan., and settled on a farm two miles east of Hiawatha. Here Jacob Klinefelter lived until 1862, when he enlisted with Company I, of the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. In May, 1863, was appointed Sergeant of his regiment, which he continued until mustered out in April, 1864. He then enlisted with the Fourth Arkansas Volunteer Infantry and was First Lieutenant and Adjutant of the same until the close of the Rebellion. He then returned to Kansas and commenced farming. In March, 1867, Mr. Klinefelter was married to Miss Lucinda Hall, who died May 23, 1870, leaving one daughter. One year later he removed to Hiawatha, where he followed carpentering until January, 1881, this being the date of his connection with the above firm. Mr. Klinefelter has been employed in the office of the County Treasurer nearly ever since his return from the war. His present wife was Miss Abbie M. Osborne, whom he married August 12, 1878. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Hiawatha Lodge No. 83, and Encampment No. 33.
JOHN KNEISEL, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Hiawatha, was born November 11, 1827, at Hesse Cassel, Germany. Was there engaged at farming and in 1851 emigrated to the United States, and for some years lived in Erie County, Ohio. In 1855 he commenced farming there, which has since been his vocation. Came to Kansas in 1878 and purchased 160 acres of land, which under his careful management has become a fine thrifty farm, all under cultivation. Mr. Kneisel was married in Ohio, in 1853 to Miss Catherine Smith, by whom he has seven children - Henry, Eliza, John C., George, Catherine, Emma and Martin. Mr. Kneisel and family are members of the German Reform Church at Hiawatha.
JOSEPH KOCHER, farmer Section 29, P. O. Hiawatha is a native of Germany, born March 26, 1831, in the State of Woodenburg (sic). He learned the trade of stonemason, and worked at it in his native country until 1856 when he immigrated to the United States, his destination Beloit, Wis. In 1860 he removed to Howard County, Mo., where he followed his trade till the fall of 1861. Then enlisted with the First Missouri State Militia, Company G., and served his country three years. Then went to Boonesville, Mo., but only remained there a short time, coming to Kansas in 1865. Lived in Atchison until June, 1866, when he removed to Hiawatha and commenced operation in his line of work. This he pursued until 1880, since which time he has turned his attention to farming. Mr. Kocher contracted and erected the first stone building in Hiawatha, and has done the stone work on a good many of the prominent buildings of Brown County, including the courthouse. He is a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 35 of the Masonic Order. Was married in the fall of 1878 to Miss Ellen Headers.
JOHN KREBS, stonemason and contractor, was born in Switzerland February, 1842. He learned the trade of stonemason in his native country, and that of slate-roofing in the city of Paris, France. In 1869 he immigrated to the United States and was a resident of New Philadelphia, Ohio, nine months previous to coming to Kansas. In 1870 he selected Hiawatha as his future abode and immediately began work at this trade. His trade has kept on steadily increasing, both in the line of stonemason and slate-roofing, until he now does an active and profitable business; employs from five to ten men as the season demands, and has contracted in the erection of some of the most prominent buildings in Brown and the surrounding counties. Is the oldest resident mason in Hiawatha. Mr. Krebs was married in New Philadelphia, Ohio, February 22, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Oelder, who was born November 18, 1848, in Switzerland, and whose parents immigrated to the United States when she was seven years of age.