|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CASE - FULLER).
CASE, McLAUGHLIN & CO., dealers in general merchandise; this extensive business house was established in the fall of 1876 and known as E. Case & Co.; the latter being John S. Lemon. They operated successfully, and during the spring of 1878 Thomas McLaughlin was added to the firm. Two years later Mr. Lemon retired, A. McLaughlin taking his place; the firm was known as McLaughlin Bros., and was then changed to its present name. It consists of Edward Case, Andrew and Thomas McLaughlin and Christian F. Joss. They have a fine store room, 110x25, which is well filled with one of the most extensive and complete stocks of general merchandise to be found in Brown County or the surrounding counties. Some idea of the magnitude of the business conducted by this house may be formed when we state that their sales for the year 1881 amounted to over $60,000. In addition to the four partners there are two clerks employed, and all the members of the firm are thorough competent business men, with years of experience in this line. The McLaughlins were originally from Holmes county, Ohio, where both were born; Andrew, the elder, was a soldier in the great rebellion; he enlisted in 1862 with Company I, of the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and was raised to the position of Quartermaster Sergeant. He took an active part in all the engagements of his regiment, and served until the close of the war. He came to Kansas during the spring of 1858, locating at Highland, Doniphan County, where he worked at the carpenters' trade for one year. At the time of the great mining excitement in 1859, Mr. McLaughlin went to Pike's Peak, but returned to Kansas the year following and settled at Hiawatha. He was elected Treasurer of Brown County in 1870 and held that office two terms. He served one term as Mayor of the city and is at this writing one of the County Commissioners. His brother Thomas has been Councilman of Hiawatha three terms. Edward Case, of this firm, was formerly from Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio. Came with his parents to Kansas in 1859 and commenced farming with his father, E. Case, at Troy, Doniphan County. He afterward ran a boot and shoe store in that town, and in 1869 moved to Hiawatha and purchased the stock of W. B. Barnett, running for two years. Mr. Case took part in the late war, volunteering in 1862 with Company A, of the Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry, at Quincy, Ill. He served until the close of the war, participating in all the principal engagements of his regiment. Christian F. Joss, junior member of this firm, is a native of Holmes Co., Ohio; came to Kansas with his parents in 1858, and settled at Leavenworth City; removed to Brown County in 1864, and has since been a resident of the same. His connection with the above firm dates from March, 1882.
WILLIAM CLEMENT, retired farmer, was born in Butler County, Pa., August 5, 1818. He lived at home working on a farm with his father until 1836, then removed to Lenawee County, Mich., where he improved a farm and worked it successfully until 1851; at this time he removed to Grant County, Wis., and for a number of years was known as one of enterprising farmers of Glenhaven Township. In 1870 he came to Brown County, Kan., located on Section 24, Hiawatha Township, where he has since been a resident. Mr. Clement was a soldier in the late war; he enlisted with Company H, of the Thirty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, taking an active part in his country's service for two years and seven months. His son William was also a participant with the Thirty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. The subject of this sketch was married May 20, 1839, in Michigan to Miss Joanna Ayers; the names of their children are as follows: Louisa, now Mrs. William Brew, of Hiawatha; Margaret A. married James Miller; Anna, now Mrs. George Sprague; George W., Francis A., John A., and Nettie M., now Mrs. James Dunn. Mary E. married Charles Chandler, of Hiawatha, Kan.
T. C. CLARK, General Insurance Agent for the Farm Department of the Phoenix Insurance company of Brooklyn, N. Y., for the counties of Brown, Doniphan and Atchison (succeeding T. H. Hayes, Esq.), and special agent for the Kansas Mutual Life, was born in Northampton, Mass., March 12, 1826, and lived in his native State until his eleventh year when his parents removed to near Cleveland, Ohio, where they lived seven years, and then removed to Geauga County, in the same State, where they resided for a great number of years, and where some members of the family still live. Mr. Clark was educated in the public and normal schools of Ohio, among others, at the Geauga Seminary, better known as the "Chester Cross Roads School," being the same institution of learning once attended by Garfield. Mr. C. attended and taught schools in Ohio until his twenty-second year, when he returned to New England, where he was engaged in the insurance business for several years-principally in his native State and in Maine. While here Mr. C. learned the then new art of daguerrreotyping and traveled extensively and took pictures in the principal Southern and Western cities. He was thus engaged for a period of seven years, and then settled at Wellsville, Ohio, where he married and opened a gallery which he operated for a short time, and then removed to LaSalle, Ill., where he resided nearly a year. He then (in 1857) visited the States of Kansas and Nebraska, and after a sojourn of several months, returned to Ohio, locating at Youngstown, where he operated a daguerrean gallery for three years, and removed from there to Pennsylvania, where he resided until 1870, in which year he removed to Kansas and located near Highland, where he was engaged in teaching and farming, and where he resided until the spring of 1882, when he removed to Hiawatha, where he re-engaged in the insurance business, has since resided and which city he intends making his future home. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He was married in Wellsville, Ohio, February 5, 1856, to Miss Sarah M. McGittigan, a native of Pennsylvania. They have had three children, two of whom are living. His only son, Charles T., graduate of Highland University, valedictorian of his class, and for a year principal of the high school at Atchison, having received his appointment after a severe competitive examination, a young lawyer of great promise, was drowned September 2, 1881, at Doniphan while bathing in the Missouri River. He was admitted to the bar at Atchison in 1879, passing a brilliant examination, and at the time of his death had already won an enviable reputation as an orator and lawyer. Mr. Clark has two daughters left, whose names are Willie and Grace B.
THURSTON CHASE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 13, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., February 22, 1831. son of Isaac and Clarinda Chase, the former of English, the latter of Irish descent, her family name Clark. His father was a miller by trade and pursued that vocation successfully in Indiana for many years. Mr. Chase received such education as his county afforded in that early day, then helped his father in the mill and on the farm until he became of age. He then started out to hoe his own row in the world, and made a trip to Cincinnati. He did not make anything, however, by this move, and returned to his native county, where he lived until June, 1852, this being the date of his first move in a westerly direction. This terminated at Winterset, Iowa, where he accepted a position on the Engineer Corps, then making a preliminary survey for the Davenport & Council Bluffs Railroad. At the expiration of two months he went to a point on the Missouri River, now know as Nebraska City, which was then an Indian trading post, and known in those days as Old Fort Kearney. Here he clerked among the traders until the latter part of the year, when he removed to St. Joe, Mo. In January, 1853, Mr. Chase first came to Kansas, and for a time lived with one Mr. Harden, who kept a trading post where the present village of Wathena is now situated, in Doniphan County. While residing with him he marked out a claim which was the first one in that county. Then returned to Missouri, followed various occupations and was married in Andrew County, to the daughter of Nicholas and Julia Deakins, who were very early settlers in that part of Missouri; her Christian name is Harriet. In May, 1854, Mr. Chase returned to Kansas and took up a claim on the southwest quarter of Section 11, Township 3 and Range 18, and was the first white settler; took up the first claim and made the first improvements in Brown County. In February, 1855, he brought his family from Missouri and established them on his claim, and proclaimed Kansas his future home. On July 4, 1856, his wife died and about the same time the country was involved in trouble with the border ruffians. Mr. Chase, therefore, canvassed the county in the interest of the Free-soilers, with a petition which was forwarded to President Buchanan. About this time he sold his first claim and in October of the same year bought the claim where he now lives, which was just enough improved to hold, and for which he paid $100 for 160 acres of land. November 16, 1856, he married his second wife, Matilda C. Proctor, daughter of Moses Proctor, one of the earliest settlers in the county, by whom he had three children; George W., Mary E., now Mrs. Jesse Miller of Doniphan County, and John C. Mrs. Chase died March 19, 1864, and at this time the subject of this sketch was serving his country in the war of the Rebellion, having taken twenty-five men from his own county, to St. Joe, Mo., where they were enrolled with the State Militia, Mr. Chase being elected Second Lieutenant. In the spring of 1862 he returned to Kansas, recruiting a portion of Company H, of the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and upon the organization of the same was defeated by two votes as Captain. He entered the army as a private, but after about three months' service was taken sick and released to Volunteer Cavalry, of which he served as Orderly Sergeant until the close of the war. Then returned home and has since given his attention to farming and stock-raising. He was married August 30, 1865, to Miss Olive Teas, by whom he has four children; William R., Jane T., Eddie T. and Alfred L. The second child, Jane T., died September 26, 1870. Mr. Chase was one of the original members of the first Methodist Episcopal Church society, organized in the county, and also of the first School Board, of which he has been Director since. He has seen a great deal of the hardships of pioneer life, but those are past and to-day he is surrounded by everything that can make life comfortable owning a good farm of 320 acres, with excellent improvements in every shape.
REUBEN C. CHASE, green house and nursery, is a native of Otsego County, N. Y., born February 1, 1835; received a common school education in his native county, and also attended the Franklin Institute in Delaware County. At the completion of his studies he secured a situation to teach in Cooperstown Seminary, and afterward became principal of the graded school at Unadilla. He took part in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting with Company E, of the Third New York Volunteer Cavalry, but after serving one year, his health failing from exposure during service, he was discharged. He returned home and October, 1862, married Miss Julia A. Houghton, of Mr. Vernon, Ohio. In the spring of 1864 Mr. Chase re-enlisted with the First New York Engineers and served until the close of the war, and then returned to his native State and resumed school teaching. In 1867 he came to Hiawatha, permanently locating on the place where he now lives. In 1870 he was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction, which position he held three terms, having previously been principal of the Hiawatha school. He also taught the same school in 1880. Mr. Chase established his nursery in 1878 and now has twenty-five acres in all kinds of fruit trees best adapted to this Western climate. He is also proprietor of two large green houses, 18x60, where anything in the form of choice house or garden plants and cut flowers in beautiful designs may be found. He was Township Clerk of Hiawatha a number of terms, and is now one of the Trustees of the Morrill public library. He has always been a strong advocate of temperance and was largely instrumental in ridding Brown County of that able assistant of human depravity, the saloon. He is connected with Hiawatha Lodge, No. 83, I. O. O. F, and is a charter member of the Star of Hope Lodge No. 1338, of the K. of H. and was first presiding officer in said Lodge.
CHARLES T. CORNING, proprietor of City Laundry, was formerly from Ozaukee County, Wis., where he was born April 27, 1847. Here he received a common school education and worked in his father's blacksmith shop until August, 1864, when he enlisted in the Ninth Wisconsin Light Artillery and served until the close of the rebellion. During the spring of 1868 he came to Kansas with his parents, William B. and Alvira Corning, and located at Hiawatha. For some time after his arrival here he was engaged in freighting on the railroad to St. Joe, Mo. Then commenced drayling, which business he pursued in connection with the ice business until April, 1882. At this time he established the first steam laundry in Brown County. This is supplied with all the modern improvements, employs from six to eight persons, and is fast becoming one of the leading enterprises of the city. Mr. Corning served as Constable of Hiawatha for three years, and during a portion of that time was Deputy Sheriff under Benjamin McCoy. Mr. Corning is A member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 35, Mount Horeb Chapter No. 43 and commandery No. 13 of the A., F. & A. M. Was married in Wisconsin in 1866 to Miss Jane L. Adams of Fon du Lac.
HON. JOHN P. DAVIS, President of Kansas Mutual Life Association, and also of the firm of Knapp, Moon & Davis, abstractors (sic) and real estate agents, was born in Ohio January 29, 1839, in Ashland County and moved to McDonough County, Ill., in 1855, where he was extensively engaged in farming and stock raising and shipping; came to Kansas in the fall of 1873, locating two and one half miles east of Hiawatha, where he owns one half section of land, now forming one of the finest and best improved farms in Brown or the surrounding counties. His farm residence was a two story frame building, 33x34, of modern style and architecture, and is well surrounded by ornamental and forest trees of his own planting to the extent of eight acres; there is also a fine orchard consisting of all kinds of choice fruit trees, and in fact everything that goes to make up a well regulated and successful farm with large barn and other comfortable out buildings. Mr. Davis is also extensively engaged in raising fine graded stock. For a number of years previous to his connection with the above firm dealt largely in grain and live stock. He represented Brown County in the Legislature two years with marked ability. For a number of years he has been a member of the Agricultural Society of Brown County, serving as president three years of that time. In the fall of 1882 Mr. Davis built and moved into a very fine two story residence, large and convenient, of modern style and architecture, located on corner of Third and Miami Streets, Hiawatha, Kan. His residence grounds contains two acres and is tastefully arranged with fruit and ornamental trees. He has always taken an active part in the advancement of the member of the I. O. O. F. Was married in Illinois in 1858 to Miss Sarah Horrabin, a native of England. Both have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for a quarter of a century. Mr. Davis is a leading and inspiring worker in every movement for the moral and material advancement of the county; holds a high place in the popular confidence and is one of the foremost and best men in this region.
JOHN H. DAVIS, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Washington County, Penn., August 2, 1818. He took part in the Mexican war, enlisting with the Second Pennsylvania Regiment in the Westmoreland Guards on the 9th of January, 1846. He removed to Winnebago County, Ill., in 1854, where he followed farming, and was married February 21, 1856, to Miss Margaret Hayes. On the 29th of March, 1872, Mr. Davis came to Kansas and located on Section 36, Hiawatha Township, and improved eighty acres of land. At the expiration of two years he removed to his present farm, where he has 120 acres, forty of which is in pasture and the remainder under a high state of cultivation. The entire farm is surrounded by hedge and divided into twenty-acre fields by cross fences. Mr. Davis and his wife are members of the First Presbyterian Church at Hiawatha. They are the parents of six children - Samuel T., a resident of Macomb County, Ill.; Nancy J., married to John Woods, of Wheeling, West Va.; John C., George B., William T. S., and Martha, now Mrs. S. C. Hall, of Hiawatha.
S. C. DAVIS is a native of Ohio, born May 11, 1828, in Columbiana County. His occupation was that of tailor; in the early portion of his life, in 1852, he made a trip across the plains to California, and in 1863 visited the gold regions of Montana, returning home in a Mackinaw boat down the Missouri River, starting at its head waters, being on the tour forty-five days; but during the latter part of his residence in Ohio he was a life insurance agent. In the spring of 1881 he came to Hiawatha, Kan., became interested in real estate and in March of the year following, moved his family to and became a citizen of Hiawatha. Mr. Davis was one of the founders of the Kansas Mutual Life Association, and upon its organization was elected vice- president of the same. He has generally been successful in his business operations. He was married March 2, 1852, to Miss Lorella C. Grubb, of Ashland, Ohio. They have two children - Ida A., now married to A. E. Slocum, of Ashland, Ohio, now a resident of Hiawatha; and Odelphis O., married to L. Hermon, of Hiawatha.
LUTHER DAVIS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Ohio, and was born April 20, 1837, in Huron County, and has always followed the occupation of farming. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted with the First United States Engineers, in which he served his country two years. He returned to Ohio where he lived until the spring of 1870, when he came to Kansas. He owns a well-improved farm of 160 acres, which, when he became possessor of it, was unbroken prairie, and at the time of his settlement in this State he did not have money enough to purchase a cow. The improvements are good and substantial, consisting of a fine large two-story stone residence, other buildings such as are necessary on a well-regulated farm, and a large peach and apple orchard. Mr. Davis is a member of the K. Of H. Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338, Hiawatha. His wife was Miss Susanna Beck, whom he married in Ohio in 1860.
ELI DAVIS, farmer and stock-raiser and shipper, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Ohio, born November 3, 1832, in Ashland County. His parents were Amos and Nancy Davis, and he is the third of seven sons, four of whom are now residents of Brown County. In 1854 Mr. Davis removed to McDonough County, Ill., and was an extensive farmer of that locality. During the fall of 1873, he came to Kansas, purchased 160 acres of partially improved land, one mile west of Hiawatha, and has made of it a fine farm. He now owns 220 acres in Brown, and 160 in Nemaha counties, and in addition to his farming interests, is engaged in buying and shipping livestock, sending off over 200 car-loads during the year of 1881. Was married in Ohio in 1853; his wife's maiden name, Hannah Chandler. They are the parents of four children living - Martha J. Judson, Simeno B. and Herbert. (sic Mr. Davis and wife are members of Methodist Episcopal Church, also of the K. & L. of H., while the former is connected also with the K. of H. Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338.
SAMUEL DETWILER, proprietor of Walnut Row Stock Farm, Section 17, P. O. Hiawatha, came to Kansas in the spring of 1875, and in the fall of the same year, purchased the land composing the farm where he now resides. This was a partially improved farm of 320 acres, which Mr. Detwiler has cultivated and improved until it is now in a fine condition, surrounded by a beautiful hedge fence, in fine order. The farm is also crossed with this fence, dividing it into fields convenient in pasturing stock. He has gone into fruit raising quite extensively, having a young apple orchard of 400 trees, and nearly the same amount of peach trees. In addition to which he has fifty choice grape vines, and other small fruits in abundance. Mr. Detwiler has been engaged at buying and shipping stock with J. P. Davis & Co. for a number of years, and raises a good deal of the same on his farm. He was born in Franklin County, Penn., April 17, 1837, but while yet a lad, his parents removed to a county by the same name in Ohio. Here he was reared, and after acquiring a common school education, worked on a farm until coming to Kansas. He has been married twice. The first time in Ohio, in 1859, to Miss Anna Hoffman, who died in 1862, leaving one daughter-Lizzie. He married his present wife in 1865. She was Sarepta J. Lehman, a native of Pennsylvania. They are both active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Hiawatha, to which society they belong. They are the parents of two children - Anna E. and James G. Mr. Detwiler was one of the organizing members of Brown County Agricultural Association, and of Brown County Horse Association, and is secretary of the latter named organization. Is also a member of the K. of L., Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338.
THOMAS B. DICKASON, Probate Judge of Brown County, came to Kansas in May, 1869, and opened a jewelry store at Hiawatha, which was the first of the kind in the county. This he conducted for twelve consecutive years, and is now succeeded by his son, A. O. Dickason. In 1874, Mr. Dickason was elected Probate Judge of Brown County, and this office he has ably and efficiently filled since by making many true and lasting friends among the people. Judge Dickason was born in Jackson County, Ohio, April 2, 1824. His education was such as was afforded by the common schools of that early day. In 1853, he was elected County Treasurer of that county, in which capacity he served eight years, his last term being from 1863 to 1865; during the former year Morgan made his famous raid through Ohio. He and his men hunted like wolves for the county funds, but Mr. Dickason having been apprised of their coming, had secluded himself and the money in the fields and the woods, and thereby saved himself and the county funds. In 1865, he embarked in the jewelry business, but at the expiration of three years, quit it and spent one year in traveling through the Western States, finally settling down as stated above. He was re-elected Probate Judge November 7, 1882, for two years more. He was married in his native State in 1854, to Miss Rebecka A. Reasoner. He is a member of the Hiawatha Lodge, No. 35, of the A., F. & A. M.
BENJAMIN W. DODGE, family grocery store, West Hiawatha, was born August 3, 1834, in Waldo County, Maine. The early portion of his life, from 1854, to 1867, was passed in California, part of the time following the occupation of miner, the other part engaged in merchandise. In 1867, he returned to his native State, and two years later came to Kansas to look up a location. His choice finally centered on Hiawatha, where he became a merchant in 1870. In the spring of 1871, Mr. Dodge commenced running a grocery store, but after a short time changed to an extensive dry goods and grocery house. This he run until May, 1882, when he removed to his present situation, starting the first store in West Hiawatha, and erecting the first dwelling house in this same locality. Mr. Dodge is a gentleman of excellent business qualities, and by close attention to business, and the superior class of goods kept, has secured his share of the patronage of the people.
DAVID FELLER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 36, P. O. Hiawatha, was formerly from Switzerland, born September 3, 1835. Learned the shoemaker's trade in his native country, and after coming to the United States, lived first in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. In 1859, he removed to Benton County, Iowa, where he followed the occupation of farmer for eighteen years, and was married there in 1860, to Miss Maria Cechrist, whose birthplace was Switzerland. During the fall of 1877, Mr. Feller came to Kansas and purchased the farm where he now lives, which contains nearly 200 acres of fine farming land, all under a high state of cultivation, and surrounded and crossed by an ornamental as well as useful hedge fence. Some of his improvements are a good substantial residence, barns and other necessary outbuildings for the accommodation of stock and produce, and a fine three acre orchard in bearing. He and his family are members of the German Reform Church, Hiawatha.
JOHN T. FULLER, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Hiawatha, is a native of Massachusetts, born near the city of Boston, August 9, 1830. Is the eldest son of George and Louisa Fuller, who were descended from the old New England stock, his mother's maiden name Jefferson. While he was yet a small child, they changed their place of residence to Pike County, Ill., and here he attended school during the winters and worked on the farm summers, until eighteen years of age. Then left home and went to Jacksonville, same State, where he learned the carpenter's trade, and afterward worked at the same at Springfield, until his removal to Kansas. This transpired in the summer of 1866, when he settled on his present farm of 160 acres. At that time it was all wild prairie, but by perseverance and industry, Mr. fuller has made of it a successful and profitable enterprise, and it is now all highly cultivated, and possesses a young orchard, bearing. He was married in 1874, to Miss Ella F. Weeks, of New Hampshire. They have two sons, Walter W. and Frank L.
JOHN H. FRASER, farmer, Section, 12, P. O. Hiawatha, and of the firm, Fraser & Burt, dealers in agricultural implements. Was born in Monroe County, N. Y., December 18, 1836. Removed to Kane County, Ill., with his parents, in 1841, where he followed the occupation of farmer to a considerable extent. In 1862, he enlisted with Company 1 of the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served in the same till the close of the great Rebellion. Mr. Fraser was married in that State in 1866, to Miss Margaret Miller, and in 1870 came West to Kansas, locating on a farm five miles east of Hiawatha, where he has since made his home. In 1871, he commenced in the pump and windmill business, in connection with his farming, and in February, 1882, removed his business to Hiawatha, and formed a co- partnership with Mr. Burt in the farm machinery line. He is a member of Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338, of the K. of H.
REED FRETZ, proprietor of Union Hotel, is a native of Pennsylvania, born March 20, 1850, in Bucks County. Was reared on a farm and previous to coming to Kansas, followed the produce commission business in Philadelphia. During the fall of 1876, he was married to Miss Maggie Landies of that city, and in the year following came to Kansas, located in Brown County, on a farm which was partially improved, near Hamlin. This he run until November of 1881, when he sold his farm, and purchased the property where he is now running hotel. This is a three story frame structure, with thirty-two rooms, and can furnish excellent accommodations for about thirty-five of the traveling public, who will always find in Mr. Fretz, an obliging landlord, and one thoroughly acquainted with his business.
PHINEAS W. FULLER, farmer and stock-raiser, living on the northwest quarter of Section 26, three miles west of Hiawatha, was born in Pike County, Ill., March 6, 1846. His parents removed to Cambridge, Mass., in the fall of 1864, taking Phineas W. with them. While there he attended the Cambridge High School, with the expectation of going through college, but losing his health, he started on the 3rd of July, 1866, for some portion of the West. Joining his brother, John T., in Illinois, they both came to Brown County, Kan., arriving here July 17, 1866, and both settled on wild and unbroken prairie land. Mr. Fuller commenced with 160 acres, but has since added enough to make a half section. It is now highly improved, and surrounded with hedge and wire fence. His outside and cross fences would make a continuous string six miles long; he has also twenty gates. He has one of the most convenient barns in the county on his farm; its dimensions are 30x54, with eighteen-foot posts, a basement under, providing shelter for thirty head of cattle and seven horses; has a capacity for storing 1,500 bushels of grain and thirty-five to forty tons of hay. Since the spring of 1872 he has grown an orchard of 400 trees of choice fruit, his crop of apples in 1882 being 200 bushels. He was married in 1871, to Miss Emogene Trink, daughter of Rev. Prentis Trink, from the State of New York. Mr. Fuller and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church of Hiawatha. The schoolhouse for District 29 is on the southeast corner of his farm. Mr. fuller is extensively engaged in stock-raising, keeping about seventy head of grade cattle, a drove of very fine Poland-China hogs, and a small flock of thoroughbred Cotswold and Southdown sheep.