|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Walnut Township has as yet no railroad. It has one village, however, of some little importance for one so far fram (sic) rail transportation. The first settlement in this township was made by Isaac Swain, near where the Carson school and settlement is now located. The first organized public school in the county was in District No. 1, this township, date of organization March 11, 1859. The schoolhouse for this school was built in 1860, and is still occupied and in good condition. Carson was the first postoffice established in the township, December 9, 1857, and M. L. Swain was the first Postmaster. There is one very thriving church organization in the township, described below.
Fairview Congregational Church. - The society connected with this church was organized January 30, 1872. The first pastor was the Rev. Milan Ayers, who was ordained April 8, 1872. The church building was commenced in 1878, and completed and dedicated May 4, 1879, the Rev. S. D. Storrs preaching the sermon at the dedication ceremonies. The church building is a handsome gothic structure, 30x54, with ceiling eighteen feet high, and its seating capacity is 300. In contains a fine chapel organ, is well carpeted, is supplied with all the modern church furniture, and cost, including furniture, organ, etc., about $2,500. The membership of the church at the time of its organization was only nine persons. At present it consists of 103, composed of some of the most prominent and influential families of Fairview and vicinity. The first officers of the church society were: C. H. Isely, Jas. W. Betts and R. Evans, trustees; John S. Belts, clerk; C. H. Isely, treasurer, and Andrew Carothers, deacon. Rev. Mr. Ayers was pastor of this church four years, and was followed by Rev. J. M. Cheeseman, who had charge one and a half years. He was succeeded by Rev. G. W. Skinner, who preached to the congregation one year, and was in turn succeeded by Rev. Hiram S. Howard for one year, who was followed by the Rev. Albert Matson, who was pastor one and a quarter years, and was succeeded by Rev. Dwight Dunham, the present incumbent. The present officers of the church are: Andrew Carothers, S. W. Rounds, J. M. Sewell, S. Thompson and J. II. Van Foolsom, trustee; C. H. Isely, treasurer, and John S. Belts, clerk (who has held this position ever since the organization of the church society); F. J. Robbins, T. W. And J. W. Belts, deacons.
A Union Sunday school was organized at Fairview sixteen years ago, and since the erection of the church building has used it as a place of meeting. A. Jeff. Anderson was the first and Andrew Carothers is the present superintendent. The Sabbath school has a membership of eighty-three, and has been held continuously, summer and winter, since its organization.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WALNUT TOWNSHIP (ANDERS - FRINK).
J. R. ANDERS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 8, township 2, Range 16, P. O. Hamlin, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., September 24, 1854, lived in his native State until December 13, 1879, when he removed to Kansas, locating in Hamlin, Brown County, where he resided a short time, and thence removed to Hamlin Township until February 1880, when he moved to his farm in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He was married in Montgomery County, Pa., December 28, 1876, to Miss Lizzie Price, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children whose names are Esther Lilly and Elmer. Mr. Anders is the fortunate owner of a fine upland farm which contains 240 acres. It is all enclosed with substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, is well supplied with water and has magnificent orchards and groves. The improvements are first-class in every particular and comprise among others a comfortable and cozy frame cottage, containing five rooms, large frame barn 44x58 feet, one double corn crib 24x32, another 8x30, smoke house, cattle shed 18x36, a good poultry house 14x16, two stock sheds, one 14x32 and the other 8x28, etc. Mr. A. raises from 300 to 400 bushels of wheat, 500 bushels of oats, 6,000 to 7,000 bushels of corn yearly, keeps thirty head of fine stock cattle, 100 to 150 Poland-China and Berkshire hogs and seven head of horses. He is a young, intelligent and energetic farmer who cultivates his land according to methods learned in the old Keystone State, and a good citizen and neighbor.
JOHN S. BELTS, farmer and fruit and stock raiser, Section 25, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Carson, is the son of James W. And Mary Belts and was born November 28, 1848, in Bartholomew County, Ind., and lived in his native State until January 9, 1858, when the family came to Kansas, locating in Walnut Township, Brown County, and where he has resided ever since. He is an earnest and prominent member of the Congregational Church. He is also a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 83, and of Hiawatha Encampment No. 33, I. O. O. F. Mr. Belts is a graduate of Bryant's Commercial College of St. Joseph, Mo. Has had several years experience in merchantile pursuits, but prefers farm life. Is a young, intelligent, and jolly bachelor, a thorough and practical farmer, a good and useful citizen and a man of high character and greatly esteemed in his neighborhood.
JAMES W. BELTS, farmer, fruit and stock raiser, Section 25, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Carson, was born August 10, 1819, in Livingston County, N. Y., and lived in his native State until November, 1844. He then for a number of years traveled extensively in the Southern and Western States. Among other places of interest, visiting the mammoth cave in Kentucky, where he spent forty days. After the completion of his travels, he located in Bartholomew County, Ind., where he resided eleven years, and was engaged at working at his trade as carpenter. From Indiana he removed to Kansas, becoming a citizen of this State May 13, 1856, locating on his fine farm in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided ever since. He is a zealous member of the Congregational Church. He was Justice of the Peace of Walnut Township six years, and a member of school Board of District No. 16, Brown County, about fifteen years. He was married in Bartholomew County, Ind., October 2, 1847, to Miss Mary Spencer, a native of Ohio. They have eight children, whose names are - John S., Ellen M. (married to A. A. Pyles, a native of Virginia and resident of Morrill Township, Brown County), Emma (married to Ashley Chase, a native of New York and a resident of Cawker City), Laura E. (married to A. A. Frink, a native of New York and a resident of Walnut Township, Brown County), Charles A. and Mary A., twins; Mary A. is married to Fred A. Hough, a native of New Jersey and a resident of Doniphan County; Sadie I. and Bessie Florence. Walnut Valley fruit and stock farm, as the splendid estate of Esquire Belts is called, lies on Spring Creek, is 400 acres in extent, is divided into bottom, upland and timber land, and is by odds the finest fruit and stock farm in this section. It is enclosed by good wire, hedge and board fences, it is a high state of cultivation, and is well supplied with water, by means of springs, wells, cist rns (sic), and Spring Creek, which flows through the entire length of the farm in a southeasterly direction. There is a model orchard on the farm, a part of it having been planted twenty-six years ago, being among the first orchards planted in this section, and having been renewed from time to time by young trees, it has a constant supply of fruit every year; it contains 900 apple trees, 100 peach trees, and a number of pear, plum and cherry trees; 800 to 1,00 bushels of apples are gathered every year in this orchard. Walnut Valley fruit and stock farm is known far and wide for the good quality and excellent variety of the fruit raised here, buyers coming from all sections to purchase, the fruit being in many instances hauled to various points to supply the local markets in the extreme western part of this State and Nebraska. The improvements are first-class in every particular, embracing among others, a new and elegant frame mansion, built in the latest style, with all modern improvements and conveniences, containing thirteen rooms. The residence is located in the center of a rich blue grass lawn, embowered in evergreens and shrubbery. Large and stately shade trees also dot the lawn here and there. The other improvements are, a large and conveniently-arranged frame barn, 30x53, granary 20x16, corn crib, 25x36, with thirteen foot posts, stock sheds and lots, etc., etc. Esquire Belts devotes his attention chiefly to raising fruit, corn, cattle and hogs. He growns 6,000 to 8,000 bushels of corn, 75 to 100 Poland-China hogs and 10 head of work horses. South of the dwelling is a magnificent walnut grove. It is seventy acres in extent, and contains thousands of second growth black walnuts from six to twenty-five inches in diameter, and many fifty feet high. Mr. Belts is one of the most successful fruit-growers in the country, a practical, thrifty, variety farmer, and a square, manly man, who entertains a very high opinion of this country.
HARRISON J. BEMIS, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Carson, is the son of Jotham and Martha Bemis, the former a native of Vermont state, died in January, 1882, the latter born in Massachusetts, still survives him. During the summer of 1853 they came west to Clinton County, Iowa, where they farmed for ten years, and at the expiration of that time came to Kansas and took up a homestead in the northwestern portion of Brown County. Here Mr. Bemis lived until 1875, when he removed to Richardosn County, Neb., but after farming there a few years he returned to Kansas in March 1881, and purchased the place where he now lives. He was married in September, 1871, to Susie, daughter of John Long, who settled in Kansas as early as 1859. Both are members of the Congregational Church at Fairview.
REV. JOSEPH F. BERRY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 9, P. O. Hamlin, is a native of Washington, Tazewell Co., Ill., born in 1836. He was a graduate from Bethany College, West Virginia, in 1867, both in the scientific and theological course, and was afterwards a minister in his native town for nearly eight years. His next place of residence was Monroe, Wis., and was married while in that State, at Center, Rock County, to Miss Julia M. Parmly, in the year, 1868; then removed to Marshall County, Iowa, and in the fall of 1869 came to Kansas. He first lived in Hiawatha Township, where he purchased eighty acres of partially improved land, on which he lived three years, preaching during the mean time for the Congregational Church at Hamlin, and the Christian Church at Padonia. He then removed to Salem, Neb., where he was engaged at teaching school, and in the ministry for two years, returning to Kansas at the expiration of that time. He then purchased his present place, where he owns 160 acres of land, all under cultivation, highly improved with beautiful hedge fence, fine young apple and peach orchard, bearing and good comfortable buildings, necessary to a first-class farm. During his residence here, the Hamlin Christian Church was organized under his supervision, and also the church for the same society at Hiawatha, where he preached two years. He is at present filling a pulpit at Falls City, Neb., every Sabbath.
D. BLODGETT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 32, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County, was born in what is now Franklin County, Ohio, October 18, 1808, and lived in his native State until January, 1872, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Rooks County, where he engaged in farming and where he resided one year. Thence he removed to Nemaha County where he was also engaged in agricultural pursuits, and where he resided nearly five years. He then purchased a farm in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided ever since. Mr. Blodgett was married at Fort Finely, Ohio, in September, 1833, to Melinda Snerr, a native of Richland County, Ohio. They have six children living - Luzette (married to Norman Edwards, a native of Licking County, Ohio, and a resident of Graham County, Kansas), Charles (married to Miss Ida Hemphill, a native of Kansas), Richard (married to Miss Melissa Rhea, a native of Missouri), James (married to Miss Lucy Thornell, a native of Missouri), John and Albert. Mr. Blodgett is the fortunate owner of a choice upland farm, situated on the Delaware River. It contains 174 acres, sixty-four acres of which are meadow and timber land, the remainder being equally divided between bottom and upland; is enclosed with substantial fences and is in a good state of cultivation. The orchard is young and thrifty and contains about 100 bearings apple and 200 peach trees. The farm is well watered by means of wells, springs and the river which flows through the south part of the farm. The improvements on the property are good; among which may be enumerated, a comfortable frame dwelling house, a small tenant house, stone barn, granaries, corn cribs, etc. Mr. Blodgett devotes his attention chiefly to raising corn and hogs. He raises form 4,000 to 5,000 bushels of corn yearly, keeps 15 to 25 head of stock cattle, 75 to 100 Poland-China hogs and five head of horses and mules. Mr. Blodgett is the Nestor of this portion of Brown County, and old as he is "makes a hand" in the field to-day. He is an honest, hardworking farmer and is a good citizen and neighbor.
J. M. BOOMER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 21, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Fairview, was born in Worcester Conty, Mass., in 1831, and lived in his native State until his eighteenth year. In 1849 his parents removed to Kendall County, Ill. Three years later Mr. B. entered the employ of Stone & Boomer, of Chicago, extensive bridge contractors. He continued in the employ of this firm four and a half years, and then engaged in farming in Illinois. In the fall of 1863 he entered the employ of L. B. Boomer, formerly of the firm of Stone & Boomer, who at that time had large contracts with the United States government in erecting railroad bridges. Among others the firm replaced several bridges on the M. P. Railroad destroyed by the rebel Gen. Price during his raid. He continued in this employment for two years, and then returned to his farm in Illinois, where he remained until May, 1873, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a prominent and zealous member of the Bapist Church of Sabetha, and has been Superintendent of the Sabbath-school connected with this church for a number of years. He has been Commissioner of Brown County for nearly three years past, and is Chairman of the Board. He has been for five years a director of, and is now president of the Brown County Exposition Society. He was married in Kendall County, Ill., in 1861, to Miss Mary Ann Haigh, a native of England. They have had three children, two of whom are living - Alice and Merrill B. James D. Died in August, 1873. "Spring Creek Stock Farm," as Mr. Boomer's fine estate is aptly names, contains 480 acres, mostly upland. It is enclosed with substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, and is abundantly supplied with water by means of wells and springs, and Spring Creek, which heads on this property. The orchard contains two and a half acres, and contains 100 bearing apple, 200 peach and a number of pear and cherry trees. The place is also abundantly supplied with small fruits, among which are grapes, currants, gooseberries, raspberries, etc., etc. The improvements are first-class in every particular, among which is a large family mansion containing nine rooms, with a good cellar, stock stables, a hay shed 30x56, with nineteen feet posts, granaries, stock sheds, 20x190 feet corn crib, 25x40 wagon and buggy sheds, tool and machinery house, etc., etc. Everything is in complete order, and the place is equipped with all the modern farm machinery and labor saving appliances. There is also a large feed mill and stock scales on the property. A fine grove of native trees covering three acres is on the northeast portion of the farm. There is also 120 acres of tame grasses, consisting of timothy, clover and blue grass. He cuts 120 tons of tame hay, raises from 200 to 300 bushels of wheat, 600 to 1,000 bushels of oats, 4,000 to 8,000 bushels of corn yearly, feeds forty to fifty head of cattle, keeps eighty head of thoroughbred and grade cattle, 150 Poland-China hogs and ten horses and mules. At the head of his fine herd of Short-horn cattle stand, "Captain Cobb," a thoroughbred Princess bull. He is two years old and weights 1,630 pounds. Mr. Boomer considers Brown County as well adapted to growing tame grasses as any section of the Mississippi Valley. His grass last year yielded three tons to the acre. Mr. Boomer is an intelligent, thorough going farmer and stock raiser, one of the prominent and honored citizens of Brown County, and possesses the esteem of a wide circle of friends, and is eminently worthy of it. Mr. B.'s brother, Charles T. Boomer, was a member of Company A, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, and enlisted in the summer of 1861 in Walnut Township, serving until the close of the war, sharing all the dangers and hardships of his regiment, and was discharged in the fall of 1865. He entered his company as a private and re-enlisted as a veteran, and rose to the rank of Sergeant. He was wounded twice while in the service, once severely, and his death, which occurred in April, 1871, was directly attributable to the exposure and hardships he endured while in the service. He was born in Worcester County, Mass., in October, 1834, and lived in his native State until his fifteenth year, when his parents removed to Kendall County, Ill., and where he resided until the spring of 1858, when he came to Kansas, where he pre-empted a farm on which his brother now lives, and resided in the neighborhood until he entered the Union army. After his discharge he returned to his brother's farm in Illinois, where he resided for three years, and then entered the employ of the American Bridge Company. He continued with this company about three years. And in 1870 returned to his farm in Kansas to improve it, and where he lived until his death, in 1871. He was favorably known far and wide to all the old settlers in the northern part of the State for his sterling worth and manly qualities.
JOHN T. BRADY, farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Sabetha, was born in Cass County, Ill., and came thence with W. H. Collins to Brown County, Kan., in 1859, each living about two miles east of Sabetha; the partnership in cattle buying and selling continued about six years, though Mr. Brady served from 1862 to 1865 as a volunteer in the Seventh Kansas. During 1866-67 he was located at Pawnee City, Neb., in partnership with Gov. Butler, of Nebraska, in the cattle trade, doing business on an immense scale. From 1868 to 1875 he and T. B. Collins were associated together doing a heavy business, and up to the time of their failure owning large tracks of land in Brown and Nemaha counties. The two grasshopper incursions and repeated drouths finally ruined them financially. Mr. Brady mortgaged every acre of land and dollar of property in order to raise mnoey (sic) to resume the business in stock, for which a natural liking and long experience so well fitted him. His success has been gratifying, as he to-day owns 480 acres of fine land on the line of Brown and Nemaha counties, to which he removed in 1881, on which he has good buildings, a herd of at least 200 cattle, and owes no man a dollar. Not content with forming various business partnerships with the Collins brothers from his and their boyhood, he married a sister, thus binding himself in a lifelong union meaning more than any mere partnership.
ELIZABETH S. BUNN, widow of Jacob K. Bunn, farmer, Section 10, Township 3, Range 15, P. O. Frinkville. Mr. Bunn was the son of Henry and Elizabeth Bunn, natives of Pennsylvania. He was born in Pennsylvania October 29, 1827, his parents removing at an early day to Ohio and thence to McLean County, Ill. Mr. Bunn lived in Illinois until the spring of 1855 when he became a resident of Kansas, first locating on Bunn Branch of the Wolf River in Robinson Township, Brown County, where he resided five years and was engaged in breaking prairie and in farming. He then removed to what is now Walnut Township, in the same county, where he resided until his death, which took place in Franklin County in January, 1878. He was a member of the Church of the United Brethren. Mr. Bunn was one of the first Constables of Robinson Township and served a considerable length of time. He was also Justice of the Peace of Walnut Township six years. Mrs. Bunn's maiden name was Smith. She was born in Indiana, and married to Mr. Bunn in 1849 in McLean County, Ill. They have ten children living - Smith Sawyer, married to Rachael Smith, a native of Illinois; Mary Charlotta and Charles Marion, twins, both married - Mary C. to Niram Curtis, a native of Ohio, Charles M. to Miss Ester H. Nicholson, a native of Illinois; John M., born September 29, 1855, was the first white child born in Brown County; Horace Greeley, married to Miss Fanny Handley, a native of Missouri; Clarinda, Benjamin B., Lizzie, Milly A. And Jacob K., Jr. In 1861 Mr. Bunn was engaged in freighting across the plains, plying between Hiawatha, Pike's Peak and Denver, and for a number of years was engaged in operating a steam thresher in Brown and adjoining counties. He was an ardent and prominent politician and acted with the Republican party. He was one of the early pioneers of Brown, an intelligent and industrious farmer, a useful and popular citizen and a good neighbor.
ANDREW CAROTHERS, farmer and stock raiser, northwest of Section 30, Township 2, Range 16, P. O. Carson, was born December 2, 1840, in Cumberland County, Pa. Living in his native State until the spring of 1851, when his parents removed to Henderson County, Ill., where he resided until 1862, when he entered the Union army as a member of Company F, Eighty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, enlisting at Monmouth, Ill., in August, of that year, and was discharged at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ill., July 5, 1865. He participated in the defence of Fort Donelson and the battle of Nashville. Early in 1863, Mr. C. was detached from his company and assigned to the corps of Topographical Engineers attached to the Army of the Cumberland, maintaining his connection with his corps until his discharge. Mr. Carothers received his early education in the public schools of Henderson County, Ill., and at Monmouth College in the same State, which he attended until the breaking out of the war. He is a prominent and zealous member of the Congregational Church, and of Star of Hope Lodge, No. 1338, Knights of Honor. He was Superintendent of Public Instruction for Brown County two terms, and is president of the Temperance Union of the same county, Mr. Carothers was married in Brown County, in April, 1867, to Miss Flora J. McCune, a native of Ohio. They have five children living, whose names are - Susie, Charles Greely, Frank, Lydia, Estella and Gertrude. Mr. Carothers owns two choice farms, one of 200 acres, lying on Spring Creek, six miles west of Hiawatha, and the other, containing 320 acres, lying on Walnut Creek, four miles west of Hiawatha. These farms rank among the best in this section in respect to fences, cultivation, water, timber, and improvements. The home farm has a cozy and comfortable dwelling surrounded by beautiful shrubbery, evergreen and shade trees, and one of the best and most convenient frame barns, 32x42, in the county. It also has a good granary, corn crib, wagon shed, smoke house, etc. There is a young and thrifty orchard on this farm, which covers three acres, and contains 200 fruit trees of various varieties. Farm No. 2 is well watered, is in a high state of cultivation, has plenty of good timber, and possesses an inexhaustible supply of building rock, the markets of Hiawatha being supplied from these quarries. There is also a splendid orchard on this property, which covers five acres, and contains 400 fruit trees of all kinds. Owing to these farms being so far apart, Mr. Carothers offers one of them for sale, thus affording an opportunity for some man to become the fortunate owner of one of the finest and most fertile farms in the Banner County of the State. Mr. Carothers grows 4,000 bushels of corn, and 3,000 to 4,000 bushels of small grain annually; keeps thirty to forty head of stock cattle, seventy-five to one hundred Poland-China hogs and nine head of work horses. He began here with little means and has accumulated a splendid estate; is a man of great energy and liberal intelligence, and proposes to make up a stock farm that shall represent the best phases of breeding, grazing and feeding prime cattle and hogs. He is a man of decided working ability and will realize his ideal.
MRS. DEIDAMA FRINK, widow of Rev. Prentis Frink, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, Township 3, Range 15, P. O. Fairview. Rev. Prentis Frink was born in Brookfield, Madison Co., N. Y., September 22, 1815, where he resided until his 25th year, when he removed to Wyoming Valley, Penn., where he had charge of the Plymouth and Sebman Baptist churches for three years. He then removed to Middleton, Pa., where he had charge of the Dimmock and Forest Lake churches, and where he resided five years. Thence he returned to Madison County, N. Y., where he had charge of the Clockville and Peterboro churches, and where he resided three years. On the 11th day of November, 1859, he became a resident of Kansas, locating at Iowa Point, Doniphan County, where he resided five months and located in what is now known as Walnut Township, Brown County, where he resided until his death, September 11,1861. While residing on a farm in Walnut Township, the cultivation of which he superintended, Mr. Frink was engaged in preaching and in organizing church societies in Sabetha, Kapioma, and Padonia. Mr.. Frink received his early education in Brookfield, N. Y., and completed his studies in the Hamilton University, in the same State. After completing his classical course at this institution, he commenced reading theology, being admitted to the university of the Baptist Church and ordained at Dimmock, Pa., in 1844. He immediately took charge of Dimmock and Forest Lake churches, as already stated. He was a faithful and zealous pastor. Mrs. Frink, whose maiden names was Millard, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., and was married to Mr. Frink at Lehman, Pa., October 26, 1842. They have eight children, all of whom are living, and whose names are Emogene B., married to P. W. Fuller, a native of Illinois, and a resident of Brown County; J. Melancthon, a resident of Seattle, Washington Territory, twice married, the first married being contracted with Miss Hannah Phillips, a native of Pennsylvania, and the second with Miss Abbie Hawkins, a native of Illinois; Ophelia, married to Charles M. Sprange, a native of Ohio and a resident of Morrill, Brown County; Adelbert A., a resident of Walnut Township, Brown County, married to Miss Laura Belts, a native of Indiana; Henry C., Joshua L., Frederick P., a resident of Walnut Township, Brown County, married to Miss Minnie Cranz, a native of Ohio; and Nettie. The last named, Miss Nettie, was Postmistress of Frinkville for five years, and until the removal of the post-office to Fairview. Mrs. Frink owns a choice upland farm of eighty acres; enclosed by substantial fences; is in a good state of cultivation, and is well supplied with water by means of springs, wells, and a branch of the Delaware, which flows in a southeastern direction through the farm. There is a thrifty orchard on the place which covers over an acre and contains 250 fruit trees of various kinds. There is also an abundance of small fruits on the property. The improvements are good, embracing among others a comfortable five-room frame cottage, a frame barn 30x32, corn cribs, stock shed, lots, etc. East of the dwelling is a fine grove of native timber, which covers one acre and contains 500 cottonwood, honey locust, and black walnut trees. There is also another magnificent grove, containing two acres, on the north side of the farm. Mrs. Frink's farm is managed by her son, Joshua L., who is a thorough and intelligent farmer. He grows 100 bushels of wheat, the same quantity of oats, and 2,000 bushels of corn yearly; keeps 16 head of stock cattle, 30 to 40 Poland-China hogs, and 4 head of fine horses. The Frink family are well and favorably known to the old pioneers of this section, and are among the most prominent and prosperous residents of Brown County.