|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WALNUT TOWNSHIP (GASSIN - ISELY).
ANDREW GASSIN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 10, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Morrill, was born in New York City December 24, 1848, and lived in his native city until his twenty-second year, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Walnut Township, Brown county, where he has resided since. He has been a member of the Board of School District No.57, Brown County, five years. He was married in New York City in July, 1869, to Miss Mary F. Jones, a native of Burlington County, N. J. "Mulberry Stock Farm," as Mr. G.'s farm is named, is a fine valley farm of 240 acres. It is all enclosed with a handsome osage hedge; is in a high state of cultivation and is well supplied with water by wells, springs and Mulberry Creek, which flows through the farm in a southeasterly direction. The orchard on this farm covers eight acres and contains 350 apple trees, 375 peach, twenty-five pear, twenty-five cherry and a number of plum, apricot, nectarine trees. There is also a abundance of small fruit on the place, among which are 200 grape vines of the choicest varieties, strawberries, raspberries, currants, gooseberries, etc. The improvements are excellent and comprise among others, a comfortable and cozy frame dwelling, containing six rooms, with good cellar, stock stable and sheds, 16x10 feet, combined granary and corn crib, 30x28, corn crib 9x60, poultry house, calf pens, stock lots, etc., etc. Southwest of the house is a fine young grove containing 250 ash trees. Mr. Gassin raises 500 bushels of wheat yearly, 400 to 500 bushels of rye, 250 to 300 bushels of oats, 3,500 to 4,000 bushels of corn; cuts forty to fifty acres of hay; has fifty acres seeded down to timothy, clover and blue grass; feeds two car-loads of cattle; keeps a herd of fifty head of fine grade Durham and Jersey cattle; seventy-five to 100 Poland-China and Essex hogs and eight head of horses. At the head of the "Mulberry" herd stands "Young Duke of Mulberry," an animal of superior personal traits and illustrious lineage. Mr. Gassin aims to build up a herd second to none in Brown Crunty (sic) and will, doubtless, succeed. In addition to his other pursuits Mr. G. also pays some attention to bee-culture, and has now on his place a small apiary of fine Italian bees. He has also some of the finest Light Brahma poultry in the county. Mr. Gassin is a young, intelligent and industrious farmer and stock breeder, a useful and honorable citizen and a good neighbor.
JOSEPH HAIGH, farmer and stock raiser, Section 22, township 2, Range 15, P. O. Fairview, was born in Wakefield, England, January 18, 1841, and lived in his native country until he was six years of age, when his parents immigrated to America, locating near Bristol, Ill. Mr. H. lived in Illinois until August 7, 1862, when he enlisted at Yorkville, in this State, in the Union army, becoming a member of Company H, Eighty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged from the United States service at Nashville, Tenn., June 11, 1865. He suffered severe hardships while in the army, from the effects of which he suffers to-day. He participated, among others, in the battles of Stone River, Liberty Gap, Chickamauga, the Atlanta campaign, including the siege, Nashville, Tenn. At the battle of Stone River, Mr H. was taken prisoner by the rebel forces under the command of Gen. Braxton Bragg, and after being confined in a number of different places, was sent to Richmond, Va., where he was immured in Libby Prison. He was detained as prisoner about six weeks, and then paroled. After his exchange, he returned to his regiment, where he served until the Atlanta campaign, when, on the 11th day of September, 1864, he was again taken prisoner by the enemy. After his capture he was taken to Macon, thence to Millen, and from there to Savannah, where he was held a prisoner until his exchange, when he was conveyed to Annapolis, Md., where he was an inmate of the Naval Hospital for a period of six weeks. He was then furloughed, and proceeded to his home in Illinois, where he remained until his shattered health was sufficiently restored, when he rejoined his regiment at Huntsville, Ala., and served with it until the close of the war. At the battle of Chickamauga, on the 19th day of September, 1863, Mr. H.'s twin brother, Benjamin, a member of the same company and regiment, was stricken down by a rebel bullet, and died on the 25th of the same month. He was a bright and promising young man, and beloved by all his comrades, and laid down his life for his country at the early age of twenty-two. After Mr. Haigh's discharge, he returned to his Illinois home, where he resided until May, 1870, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a zealous and consistent member of the Bapist Church of Sabetha. He has been Justice of the Peace of Walnut Township for four years, and a member of the Board of School District No. 64, Brown County, one year. He was married in Bristol, Ill., March 13, 1872, to Miss Annie Bennett a native of Scotland. They have had five children, three of whom are living - Jessie Harlan, Benjamin (died December 4, 1877), Gracie (died December 7, 1876) Jessie, and Annie Mabel. Esquire Haigh owns two fine farms in Walnut Township. One, the home farm, contains eighty acres, is enclosed with substantial fences, a well supplied with water; has a fine orchard and good improvements, among which are a new and neat frame dwelling, containing five rooms, stock stables, granary, corn, cribs, etc. etc. The other farm contains 160 acres, is well fenced, and has seventy acres in cultivation, the remainder being pasture and meadow land. It is a fine body of land, and has a branch of Spring Creek flowing through it. Mr. H. dovotes (sic) his attention to raising grain and hogs. He raises from 1,000 to 1,500 bushels of corn yearly, keeps fifteen head of grade Durham cattle, seventy-five to one hundred hogs, and four head of horses. He is a thorough and practical farmer, an honored magistrate of his county, and is well and favorably known for his probity and integrity.
NOAH HANSON, farmer, Section 20, Township 2, Range 16, P. O. Carson, was born in Windham, Cumberland Co., Me., December 14, 1814. He is the son of Joseph and Lydia Hanson, both of English descent. His mother's name was the same before and after marriage. He received a practical education at the district school and also at Alfred and Parsonfield, Me., Academies, and Friends' School at Providence, R. I. He worked on his father's farm till he became of age, commenced teaching school when seventeen years of age, and continued to teach during the winter for fifteen winters, working on a farm in the summer. From 1845 to 1857 he was engaged in merchandising at Portland, Me. In April, 1857, he came to Kansas and pre-empted the northwest quarter of Section 28, Walnut Township, Brown County. In October, 1858, he was appointed, by President Buchanan, Postmaster of Carson, the office being at his residence for over twenty years, or until January 1, 1879, when he resigned and recommended the appointment of the present Postmaster, Jacob Hayward. Mr. Hanson took an active part in the first effort to establish public schools. He helped organize and was one of the first officers of School District, No. 1, and helped build the first public schoolhouse in Brown County, in which Miss Harriet Chase, now Mrs. Harriet Tyler, taught the first term of public school. Mr. Hanson and his wife, Mary C. (daughter of James Winslow, of the same school district), to whom he was married October 29, 1847, were of Quaker parentage, and, with some liberal and important qualifications, retain largely the views of that sect. He is the owner of 270 acres of land, all under improvements, and well supplied with native timber. He has been an active and efficient agent in building up and putting in operation the Public Schools of Brown County, having held the office of County Superintendent of Public Schools six years. He has also been an active participant in township and county matters, having been County Commissioner two years and Township Trustee of Walnut Township seven years. He was one of the pioneers in the Anti-Slavery movement, a life-long temperance advocate, and continues to take an active part in political and social reforms.
S. HATFIELD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, Town 2, Range 15, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County, was born in Ross County, Ohio, December 25, 1828, and lived in his native State until his eighteenth year, and then removed to McLean County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming, and where he resided until the spring of 1855, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on Bunn's Branch, Robinson Township, Brown County, where he resided until November 12 of the same year, when he removed to his farm - which he pre-empted - in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has since resided. He is a consistent member of the Congregational Church at Fairview. Mr. H. participated in the War of the Rebellion during the Price raid, as a member of Capt. I. N. Speer's Company, Twenty-second Regiment, Kansas Militia, and enlisted in Hiawatha, in October, 1864. Served one month, and was discharged at Kansas City. Mr. H. also gave his eldest son, Peter Hatfield, to the Union cause. He enlisted at Hiawatha, August 19, 1862, as a member of Company I (Capt. John Schilling), Thirteenth Regiment, Kansas Infantry, and was discharged on the expiration of his term of service, at Little Rock, Ark., June 26, 1865. He was born in McLean County, Ill., March 8, 1844, and came with his father's family to Kansas. He took part in the battles of Cane Hill, Pea Ridge, and other minor engagements. He was a brave and loyal soldier, shared in all the dangers and privations of his command, losing his eyesight almost completely from the hardships endured while in the service. He was accidentally killed in September, 1879. Mr. Hatfield, the elder, was married in McLean County, Ill., in 1843, to Miss Mary E. Bunn, a native of Ross County, Ohio. They have eight children living, whose names are: Henry (a resident of Republic County, married to Miss Addie Phelps, a native of Michigan), Hannah (married to Frank S. Dixon, a native of Ohio and a resident of Brown County), Mary Ellen (married to R. M. Parker, a native of Iowa and a resident of Washington Ter.), Christopher Ira (a resident of Republic County, married to Miss Alice Prince a native of England), Eva (married to Frank B. Robbins, a native of Kansas and a resident of Brown County), Ida and Freddie. Mr. Hatfield owns a fine farm of 160 acres, lying on Spring Creek. It is mostly second bottom, is all enclosed by substantial fences, is in a high state of cultivation, and is well supplied with water by means of springs, wells, and the creek, which flows in a southeastern direction through the farm. There is a young and thrifty orchard on the place. The improvements are good, and consist in part of a six-roomed frame dwelling, a good frame barn, 24x38, granary, corn crib, wagon shed, a summer and wash house, etc., etc. Mr. Hatfield devotes his time and attention chiefly to raising corn, cattle, and hogs. He raises 5,000 to 6,000 bushels of corn, keeps 100 stock cattle, 100 to 200 fine stock hogs, a few sheep, and eight head of work horses. He is an old pioneer of this section, and industrious, practical farmer, a prosperous and prominent citizen, and is favorably spoken of in his neighborhood.
SAMUEL IDE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 3, Township 3, Range 15, P. O. Hiawatha, was born in Luzerne County, Pa., November 19, 1824, and lived in his native State until December, 1859, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Doniphan County, near Highland, where he resided four years. He then removed to Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has ever since (sic) resided. He is a zealous and consistent member of the Baptist Church. He was married in Luzerne County, Pa., in July 1851, to Miss Mary Millard, a native of Masonville, N. Y. She died July 29, 1882. They have had four children, three of whom are living, named: Frederic (died November 27, 1876), Louisa (married to William Drake, a native of New York and a resident of Brown County), Eugenia and Rosetta. Mr. Ide owns a fine upland farm of 200 acres. It is in a high state of cultivation, is all surrounded with substantial fences, and is well supplied with water by means of a number of good wells and Ide's Branch of the Delaware River, which flows through the western part of the farm. There is a young and thrifty orchard on the property, and a fine quarry of building stone. The improvements are first-class, comprising, among others, a fine frame dwelling, stock stables, sheds and lots, granary, corn cribs, etc., etc. Mr. Ide raises 250 to 300 bushels of oats, 2,500 to 3,000 bushels of corn, keeps twenty to twenty-five extra fine stock cattle, thirty to forty hogs, and four head of horses. Mr. Ide is one of the old residents of Brown, is an honest, intelligent and hard-working farmer, a useful and prosperous citizen, and an honorable, upright Christian gentleman.
C. H. ISELY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County, was born in Hochstetten, Canton Berne, Switzerland, May 3, 1828, but left his native country at an early age, his parents immigrating to America in 1831, locating in Holmes County, Ohio, where Mr. Isely lived until April 11, 1850, when he removed to St. Joseph, Mo., where he resided until October, 1851, when he removed to Marathon County, Wis., where he engaged in the lumber business, and where he resided until April 8, 1853, when he returned to St. Joseph, in which city, and in Omaha, Neb., he was engaged in working at his trade as carpenter and house builder, and where he resided until October 9, 1861, when he entered the Union army as a member of Company F, Second Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, enlisting at St. Joseph, Mo., and being discharged at Fort Leavenworth, November 16, 1864. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Ind. Ter., Backbone Mountain, Ark., Dover, Prairie D'Anne, Jenkins Ferry, Clarksville, Fort Smith and a number of minor engagements. Mr. Isely shared all the dangers and hardships of his command, and had many narrow escapes, while in the service, from capture and death. After his discharge from the United States service, he rejoined his wife in Ohio where he remained a short time, and then returned to St. Joseph, where he again followed his trade, and where he resided until the spring of 1872, when he returned to Kansas, having previously been a citizen for a time, locating on his farm in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided tince (sic). He is a prominent and consistent member of the Congregational Church at Fairview. He has been Clerk of School District No. 64, Brown County, six years. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., May 31, 1861, to Miss Eliza Dubach, a native of Courrendelin, Canton Berne, Switzerland, a daughter of Benjamin Dubach, Esq., and old Free state settler of Doniphan County, he having located there in Willow Dale, in 1856. Ten children were the fruit of this union, seven of whom are living, their names being as follows: - Adolphe, born June 28, 1862, died October 4, 1862; W. Henry and M. Alice, twins; John C., born August 31, 1867, died August 11, 1868; Lydia J., Olivia Grace, born September 12, 1871, died May 10, 1874; Freddie B., Charles C., James W. and P. P. Bliss. Mr. Isely, for many years of his life, followed his trade as carpenter and house builder, in the cities of St. Joseph and Omaha and in Brown County, Kas. He has superintended and erected among others, the palatial residence of Hon. E. N. Morrill, of Hiawatha, the Congregational Church at Fairview, Spring Grove Schoolhouse, and the commodious residences of Fred and Henry Isely. For the past ten years he has followed farming, principally, conducting his fine upland farm of 165 acres, lying five miles southeast of Sabetha. It is enclosed with substantial fences, is in a good state of cultivation and is well supplied with water by springs, a good well and Spring Creek, which flows nearly through the center of the farm. Five acres of the farm are devoted to a young and thrifty orchard, which contains 160 apple, 300 peach, and a number of pear, plum, cherry and mulberry trees. There is also an abundance of small fruits on the place, consisting of grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and gooseberries. The improvements are good, and consist, among others, of a new and cozy nine-room frame gothic cottage, surrounded by a handsome lawn, adorned by evergreens, shrubbery and shade trees, stock stable and lots, granary, corn cribs, etc., etc. Mr. Isely raises from 250 to 400 bushels of wheat yearly; 50 bushels of rye, 300 bushels of oats, 2,500 to 3,000 bushels of corn, cuts ten acres of hay, keeps twenty to twenty-five head of fine stock cattle, seventy-five to ninety Poland-China hogs, and four head of good work horses. Mr. Isely and his amiable and accomplished wife are old pioneers of the State. They came to Kansas in the early days of the Territory, although they did not take up their permanent abode in the State until a later date. Mr. Isely was a Free-state man in the early times, and is a Republican to-day (sic), and is a zealous and strong friend of prohibition and temperance. He is besides, a prosperous, industrious and intelligent farmer, and a good Christian gentleman, well and favorably known for his integrity and probity. He loves his home and is warmly attached to his bright, promising family.
FREDERIC ISELY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, Township 2, Range 15, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, November 18, 1831, and lived in his native State until September 17, 1872, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating on his farm in Walnut Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is an earnest and consistent member of the German Reform Church. He was married in Stark County, Ohio, November 3, 1859, to Miss Paulina Geiger, a native of Ohio. They had one son, William H., a bright and intelligent child, who died August 24, 1867. Mr. I. owns a fine upland farm of 400 acres, it is enclosed with substantial fences, and is in a high state of cultivation, and well supplied with water by means of an excellent well, equipped with a Woodmansie wind mill. A number of fine springs, the north branch of Spring Creek which flows through, and Knapp's Run which heads on his farm. The orchard on this fine estate covers eight acres, and contains 300 apple, 200 peach and 50 plum and cherry trees. The improvements are excellent, and consist, in part, of an elegant residence containing nine rooms, surrounded by handsome evergreens, shade trees and shrubbery; large frame barn, stock stables, granary, corn-cribs, etc., etc. Mr. I. raises from 500 to 600 bushels of wheat, 600 to 700 bushels of oats, 300 bushels of barley, 200 bushels of rye, 4,000 to 5,000 bushels of corn annually; keeps 60 head of stock cattle, 75 to 100 stock hogs, and 4 head of horses and mules; has 20 acres in timothy and clover, and cuts 60 acres of hay annually. Mr. I. is a thorough and practical farmer; an honest straightforward man, and a good and useful citizen.
HENRY ISELY, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Sabetha, Nemaha County; born September 1, 1841, near Winesberg, Holmes Co., Ohio. His father, Christian Isely, was a native of Canton Berne, Switzerland. He immigrated to this country in 1831, and settled on a farm in Holmes County, Ohio, and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1865. His mother's maiden name was Barbara Ozenberger. She was born in the same canton, Switzerland, in 1800. She resided at the old homestead in Ohio until 1872, when she followed her children and resided with them in Brown County, and died at the house of the subject of this sketch, January 17, 1882. The family consisted of eight children; the two eldest died young; the eldest living, Elizabeth, married Rev. J. G. Abele, now at Harrisburg, Pa; Christian H. married Miss Eliza Dubach, a native of Switzerland; Frederick married Miss Pauline Geiger, of Ohio, and Barbara married Jacob Kenelle, of Ohio, and Jacob died when fifteen years old. The subject of this sketch was the youngest of the family. His common school education was obtained in one of those ancient log cabins with slab benches. He subsequently attended the high schools of Massillon and Berlin, Ohio, with a course at the Commercial College at Cleveland. He taught school in his native county four years. In the spring of 1867 he came West, and after roaming through portions of Kansas and Missouri, during the summer of 1867, he organized and taught what was known as the Woodburn Seminary, near St. Joseph, Mo., and taught the first public school in said district. He remained at this post three years. He opened the school with four scholars, and the last year he was there the enrollment was over ninety, and had the pleasure of seeing the spirit of free schools flourish. In 1869, bought wild land in the western part of Brown County, Kan., which now constitutes his homestead. In 1870 he moved to Brown County, and taught the Fairview school for three successive winters. In the spring of 1871 he commenced to open up the farm on which he now resides. In the autumn of 1862 he enlisted in Company C, Sixty-seventh Regiment, Ohio Volunteeer Infantry, as a private, and served a little over three years, serving first in the Department of Virginia, next in North Carolina, then in South Carolina. Participated in the siege and capture of Morris Island, in the siege of Charleston, Fort Sumter, and other noted strongholds, and was in the bloody charge on Fort Wagoner, July 18, 1863, where his division lost nearly one-half of its men in that night's attack. In the siege of Charleston his command was under fire for three months, with scarcely an hour's cessation of bursting of shells. After the charge of Fort Wagoner he was prostrated with typhoid fever, and lay in the field hospital on Morris Island about six weeks. Contrary to the expectations of the surgeon and his company comrades, our subject weathered it through. Although barely twenty-two, he came out of that hospital his head covered with gray hair. After his recovery he rejoined his company. In January, 1864, the regiment entered as a veteran regiment, and after thirty days' furlough, was sent, via Washington, to the Army of the James, under Gen. Butler. May 10, 1864, he was in the battle of Chester Station. May 20, at Weir Bottom Church, and on the same ground in the battle known as Weir Bottom Church and Howlett House, June 16, 17, 18. In the following September he was under fire during the whole month in front of the rebel fort blown up by Grant's mine, then commonly called Fort Hell, in front of Petersburg, his camp being within rifle shot of the rebel batteries. September 29, he was at the engagements at Signal Hill, on the north side of the James River, and the same afternoon at Chapin's Farm, and on the same ground, October 1, his command repelled the onslaught of the rebel hordes under Gen. Ben. Hill. October 13, he was in the battle of Darbytown Road; his command stormed the enemy's work. October 27 and 28, he was in the battle of Charles City Road; storming of Petersburg, April 2, 1865. On the retreat of Gen. Lee, the command of Mr. Isely followed him and engaged him in his entrenchments at Jettersville, April 6. The next day he was again engaged at High Bridge, east of Farmville. He was at the surrender of Gen. Lee at Appomattox Court-house, April 9, being at that time in the First Brigade, First Division, Twenty-fourth Army Corps, under Gen. Ord. On the day of the surrendered he was wounded in the face by the bursting of a shell. From this time he was on provost duty in Virginia until October 16, 1865, when he was mustered out at Richmond, Va. In 1872 he was elected Township Clerk of Walnut Township, Brown Co., Kans., and has filled various school and township offices since that time. He was a member of the City Council of Hiawatha two terms. In 1873 he was elected on the Farmers' ticket to the office of County Clerk of Brown County; was re-elected in 1875 as independent candidate by the coalition of the Independent and the Democrats, and was again re-elected as an Independent in 1877, and his candidacy was endorsed by all three parties in their conventions, hence had no opposition. He retired from said office somewhat shattered in health, in January, 1880, and retired to his quiet rural home, fourteen miles west of Hiawatha,. Out-door exercise seemed to agree with him, and his health was gradually restored. His chief ambition now was to establish a pleasant little home on the farm, to enjoy it with his little family for the balance of his natural life. Against his wishes, in 1882 he was nominated by the Democratic convention. The campaign was hot, and with great odds against him was elected by sixty majority. As a member of the House, he served on the Committee of Assessment and Taxation, and enrolled bills. On the former his best work was put in, a work of which the public find out but little. He was the author of five meritorious bills, which were reported on favorably by the different committees. To his chagrin, he was prostrated by sickness, which prevented his attendance the last two weeks of the session. Mr. I. has been raised and confirmed as a member of the Reformed Church, the church of his parents, and is a member of said church now. He took an active part in effecting an organization of said church in Hiawatha. In politics he has acted with the Republicans, voting for Grant in 1868 and 1872, and for Hayes in 1876, but examining the result in the latter case from both sides, without partisan bias, he never could make himself believe that the measures by which Hayes was counted in were exactly honest, hence in 1880 he voted for Hancock. He is no partisan, independent in his political views. In the main he believes in supporting the honest principles of men above party. He does not believe that all the virtues are in one party, nor all the evil in the other. He was married August 24, 1871, to Miss Sophia B. Hochstetler, a native of Holmes County, Ohio, and daughter of Elias and A. E. (Joss) Hochstetler. Her father has been a prominent leader and office-holder in Holmes County, Ohio, where he has lived since 1811. Mrs. I. is a member of the same church with her husband, and is a modest lady of many estimable qualities of mind and heart. They have five children; three of them died in infancy, and Mary E. died in her fourth year; but one child is left them now, a boy, William Frederick, born July 13, 1873. He owns 475 acres of land, all under fence but a five-acre timber lot; 235 acres in Section 16 and 240 acres in Seciton 9, all in Township 2, Range 15, adjoining each other. About 175 acres are under cultivation, the balance in pasture or prairie meadow. The farm has two good pasture fields, one of seventy and the other of 190 acres. The former is watered by Spring Creek and the latter by a never-failing spring, therefore well adapted for a stock farm. The buildings are all on the northwest quarter of Section 16, and consist of a house, small barn, granary, corn cribs, and other outbuildings, and as soon as his means will permit, he expects to improve his house and build a good basement barn. The orchard, which he started himself, is composed of apple, peach, cherry, pear, plum and other trees, and in 1882 had the first sufficient supply of apples. Has ten acres laid off for the apple orchard, but it is not all filled yet. In small fruits, has grapes, blackberries, currants, etc. As windbreaks or ornamental trees, there are maple, cottonwood, Lombardy poplar, box elder, ash, elm, yellow poplar, and a few pine and other varieties. Has started to seed some of his land with tame grasses. Believes in mixed farming, hence he raises small grain, besides corn. Has a good foundation for a good stock farm, and expects to improve and stock as fast as his means will admit.