|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HACK - LYMAN).
CHARLES HACK, dealer in dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, queensware, hardware, etc. Came to Kansas in August, 1855, and located in Wathena, Doniphan County, where he resided until 1872, and for a time was engaged in farming, and for the last eight years, while residing there, was in the general mercantile and hotel business. From Wathena, he came to Robinson, Brown County, where he has resided since and carried on business. Mr. Hack has been Treasurer of Robinson Township four terms and Treasurer of School District No. 26, Brown County, three terms. He is a prominent and influential member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of Robinson Lodge, No. 159, A., F. & A. M. He was one of the charter members of and has been worthy master of his Lodge for eight years. He is also a member of Wathena Lodge No. —–, I. O. O. F. He participated in the war of the rebellion, as a member of Company B, Thirteenth Regiment Kansas Infantry, and enlisted at Troy, Doniphan County, in September, 1862, and was mustered out at Little Rock, Ark.; in June 1865. He took part in the Battles of Prairie Grove and other minor engagements. Mr. H. was born in Breslau, Prussia, Germany, November 16, 1835, and lived in his native country until 1853, when he immigrated with his parents to America, locating in St. Louis, Mo., where they resided until 1854; in this year, he removed to St. Joe, Mo., where he reisded until he came to Kansas. He was married in Doniphan County, February 16, 1860, to Miss Caroline Staley, a native of Illinois. They have five children living—William A., Cora E., Charles W., Harry W., and Albert J. Mr. Hack is one of the strong business men of this city, enjoys excellent credit and is a man of acknowledged strength in the community. He carries an unusually large stock, is popular and does a commanding trade. Mr. H. is also the owner of Hack’s Hall, in Robinson. It was built in 1871, at a cost of nearly $2,500. It has a seating capacity of about 200, is elegantly furnished and at present is occupied by the Masonic and Odd Fellow’s lodges, of Robinson as a place of meeting.
L. B. HALL, dealer in hardware, stoves and agricultural implements, Robinson, came to Kansas in May, 1864, and located in Hiawatha, where he resided until 1873, when he went to Colorado where he was engaged in mining and prospecting. He remained in Colorado until the winter of 1880, when he returned to Kansas. In April, 1881, he removed to Robinson and engaged in the hardware business with N. F. Leslie. In March, 1882, he purchased his partner’s interest, since which time he has been carrying on business for himself. He is a member of Hiawatha Lodge No. 83, I. O. O. F., and of Doric Lodge No. 25, A., F. & A. M., of Fairplay, Park County, Colorado. Mr. Hall was born in Kosciusko County, Ind., December 12, 1849, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He is one of the young and energetic business men of Robinson and does and deserves a large trade.
GEORGE W. B. HETLER, farmer, Section 22, Township 2, Range 18, P. O. Robinson, came to Kansas March 8, 1880, and located in Irving Township, Brown County, where he resided until November 3, 1882, when he removed to Robinson Township, Brown County, where he resides at present. Mr. Hetler was born February 22, 1858, in Seneca County, Ohio, and resided in his native State until his nineteenth year and then removed to Butler County, Iowa, where he resided until he came to Kansas. He was married December 28, 1881, in Butler County, Iowa, to Miss Jennie C. Plantz, a native of Illinois. Mr. Hetler is a young, energetic and hard working farmer, and stands high in the favor of his neighbors.
Z. HOLCOMB, farmer, Section 4, Township 18, Range 72, P. O. Robinson, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, near Galliopolis, April 11, 1824. When quite young he immigrated with his father to Warren County, Ind., and from there to Cook County, Ill.; from there to Van Buren County, Iowa; from there to Jo Daviess County, Ill., near Galena, and from thence returned through the Territory of Iowa to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he was married in the year 1846 at the age of twenty-two years, to Miss Rebecca Blackford, a cousin of Judge McLane. Mrs. Holcomb was born in 1825 in Clark County, Ohio, and at the age of eighteen moved to Van Buren County, Iowa. After his marriage Mr. Holcomb removed to Wapello County, Iowa, where he resided about nineteen years. When he first went there he entered a quarter section of land; and began chopping and clearing, splitting rails to build fences, and breaking the land with six yoke of cattle, with which he plowed, putting muzzles on them. After building and otherwise improving the place he sold out and came to Kansas. He was one of the first subscribers to the Des Moines Courier, the first paper published in Ottumwa. Mr. Holcomb is a self-made man, having educated himself mostly by the light of the fire at night after his day’s labor was finished. While residing in Iowa, Mr. Holcomb practiced law in the justice courts in this State, and his able services are frequently called into requisition by his neighbors in Brown County. He also took an active part in the Fremont and Lincoln campaigns during his residence in Iowa. He remained in this State until he saw the first railroad train running from Burlington to Ottumwa. He then removed to Kansas, becoming a resident of Robinson Township, Brown County, in the spring of 1865, where he has resided since. Shortly after coming to Brown County he purchased the farm that Robinson now stands on from the Hon. Ira Smith, a former register of the land office, at a cost of about $3,000, for three eighties of land. Mr. Holcomb laid out the town of Robinson, still owns most of the vacant lands, and is selling fine residence and business lots for from $25 to $100 each. The farm land adjoining the town is worth about $100 per acre. There is room and opportunity here for double the present population of the town, which time and development are sure to bring. Mr. Holcomb has lived in Robinson about eighteen years; he is an active and zealous member of the Church of the United Brethren. He has been a licensed preacher of this church for about fifteen years, and has had charge of congregations of this denomination in Kansas and Oregon until he was obliged to give up preaching on account of failing eye sight. While living in Robinson he has been engaged in chopping wood, farming and pleading cases in the justices’ courts. He is the father of nine children, two of whom died young. Those living are: Stephen, a farmer and resident of Powhattan Township, Brown County; a soldier of the last war, having been a member of Col. Somer’s Seventh Regiment, Iowa Cavalry. He enlisted at the age of fifteen and served three years. He is married to Miss Anna Richason, a native of England; Thomas, a merchant and farmer of Powhattan Township, Brown County; married to Miss Exeline Wallis, a native of Wapello County, Iowa; Angeline, married to S. P. Rupe, a school teacher and farmer, living in Dickinson County; Elizabeth, married to Marion Wade, a farmer and Justice of the Peace, of Robinson Township, Brown County; Roxa Jane, married to Monroe Parsons, a farmer residing in Robinson; Laura Ann, a school teacher living in Dickinson County, and Lucinda, married to Jesse Wallis, a farmer living in Robinson Township, Brown County.
LAVENS M. HUGHES, farmer, Section 15, Township 3, Range 18, P. O. Robinson, came to Kansas September 3, 1865, and located in Robinson Township, where he has since resided. He is a member of the Baptist Church and of Robinson Lodge, No. 98, I. O. O. F., and is permanent secretary of his lodge. He has been Clerk of Robinson Township one term, Justice of the Peace of the same Township one term and Clerk of School District No. 21, Brown County, four terms. He took part in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company H., First Regiment, Washington Territory Volunteer Infantry, and enlisted September 5, 1862, in San Francisco, Cal., and was discharged from the service July 10, 1865, at Fort Vancouver, Washington Territory. After his term of service expired he came to Kansas. Mr. Hughes was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, June 10, 1832, and lived in his native land until his eighteenth year, when he went to Australia, where he lived three years, and was engaged in gold mining. From Australia he returned to his native country where he remained a short time, and then in 1853 immigrated to Canada, locating in Montreal, where he resided seven years, and was engaged in the mercantile business. He then again returned to his native home in Ireland where he remained eighteen months and then sailed for San Francisco, Cal. Immediately after recovering from the fatigues incident to his long voyage he joined the United States Volunteers, as already stated. Mr. Hughes was married November 4, 1868, in Washington Township, Brown County, to Mrs. Rachael McBride, a native of Morrow County, Ohio.
M. W. HUSON, of the firm of Huson & Payne, proprietors of Steam Threshing Machines. Mr. Huson came to Kansas in December, 1875, and located in Robinson Township, where he has resided since. He is a member of Robinson Lodge, No. 159, A. F. & A. M. Mr. Huson was born in Canada West, March 8, 1849, and lived in his native country until 1874, when he immigrated to the United States, and located in Oxford County, Mich., where he lived one year, and then came to Kansas. He and James W. Payne are the proprietors of a Champion Steam Engine and a New Massillon (Ohio) Separator, which they operate during the threshing season through the counties of Brown and Doniphan. They also operate a six-hole Sandwich Corn Sheller which is run by the same engine. The corn sheller is used by them in the winter. They have threshed for various farmers during the past season in Doniphan County: 4,028½ bushels of wheat, 414½ bushels of rye, 1,113 bushels of barley, 299 bushels of oats, and in Brown County 31,474 bushels of wheat, 357 bushels of rye, 3,906 bushels of barley, 9,245 bushels of oats, 58½ bushels of timothy seed.
T. R. HUSTON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Robinson, was born in St. Johns, New Brunswick, September 18, 1830, and lived in his native Province until his fourth year, when his parents removed to Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada, where he lived until 1865, and then removed to Oakland County, Mich. He lived in this State until 1875, when he became a citizen of Kansas, locating on his farm in Robinson Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married in the fall of 1876 in Brown County to Mrs. Sarah E. Jones. She was born in Warren County, Ohio, September 6, 1828, and moved with her parents to Indiana, where she married Isaiah Jones. In 1866 they immigrated to Kansas, where Mr. Jones died. Mr. Huston has a fine upland farm of eighty acres all enclosed, and with fifty acres in cultivation the remaining thirty acres being in pasture lands. There is a small young orchard on the farm. The improvements are a new four-room frame cottage, stock stable, granary, corn crib, etc. He had thirty acres in corn this season, which yielded 1,500 bushels; four acres in German millet, which averaged two tons to the acre, and ten acres of prairie grass, which averaged one and a half tons to the acre. When Mr. Huston came to Kansas he had just $600; to-day he owns a property worth from $3,000 to $4,000, which he has accumulated by his indomitable perseverance and industry.
JOHN HUTCHISON, farmer, P. O. Robinson, came to Kansas in 1859, locating in Doniphan County, where he lived seven years and then removed to Montgomery County, where he resided three years. From there he removed to Shelby County, Iowa, where he lived two years and then returned to Doniphan County, where he lived two years, and from there went to Colorado, where he was engaged in prospecting and where he stayed one year. From Colorado he returned to Kansas and located in Robinson Township, where he has resided since. Mr. Hutchison was born in Wayne County, Ky., October 19, 1844, and lived in his native State until his thirteenth year, when his parents removed to Nodoway County, Mo., where they lived one year, and then removed to Andrew County, in the same State, where Mr. H. lived four years. He then returned to Nodoway County, where he lived two years, and then came to Kansas. He is a member of Robinson Lodge, No. 98, I. O. O. F. and has been vice grand of his lodge. He was married in Mission Township on March 4, 1872, to Miss Surilda Tindall, a native of Kentucky. They have three children—Arthur Lee, George W. E. and Gertrude.
WILBUR A. JAQUES, teacher of Hill Top School, District No. 8, was born in Defiance, Ohio, November 5, 1860, and lived in his native State until the spring of 1865, when his parents removed to Kansas, locating near Robinson, Brown County, where they have resided since. Mr. Jaques is a self-taught young man, having acquired most all of his education at home. He is a member of the German Baptist Church. He is the son of Theophilus and Mary A. Jaques; his father is a prominent farmer and stock-raiser. Mr. Jaques is an educator of rare merit, has taught five years in Brown County, and over half that time in one school; takes great pride in his profession, is beloved by his pupils and possesses the esteem and respect of their parents.
THOMAS J. JENKINS, wheelwright, came to Kansas in April, 1878, and located at Robinson, where he has carried on business and resided since. He took part in the last war as a member of Company G, First Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and was enlisted at Brownsville, Neb., in the spring of 1863 and was discharged at Omaha, Neb., in the summer of 1865. Mr. J. was born in St. Louis County, Mo., in December, 1844, and lived in his native State until the breaking out of the war. After his discharge from the Union army he returned to his home in Missouri, where he lived two years and then removed to Holt County, in the same State, where he lived seven years and was engaged in working at his trade. From Holt County he came to Kansas. He was married in the spring of 1866 in Lafayette, Doniphan County, to Miss Susan Knowles, a native of Iowa. They have five children living—Sarah, George, Effie, Minnie and Myrtle. Mr. Jenkins is a skilled practical mechanic, and has a large patronage among his fellow townsmen and the farmers in the neighborhood of Robinson.
O. JORDAN, farmer and dealer in live stock and grain, Section 1, Township 18, Range 3, P. O. Robinson, was born near Mifflinsburg, Union Co., Pa., November 13, 1835, and lived in his native State until his eighteenth year, and then removed to Sandusky County, Ohio, where he lived twenty-five years and was engaged in farming. From Ohio he came to Kansas, locating in Robinson Township, Brown County, where he has resided since. He was married in Seneca County, Ohio, March 27, 1858, to Miss Mary H. Zeiber, a native of Ohio. They have five children, Jeremiah, Henry, William, Franklin and Irvin. Mr. Jordan owns a fine upland farm of 166 acres four miles northeast of Robinson. It is enclosed by substantial fences, is all in cultivation, and is improved by a first-class dwelling, frame barn 20x32, large granary, corn cribs, feed lots, which are well supplied by living water, large orchard, etc. He raises from 1,200 to 1,500 bushels of wheat, 500 to 600 bushels of oats, 1,500 to 2,000 bushels of corn, cuts from twenty-five to thirty tons of clover and timothy hay, sells from fifty to seventy-five bushels of apples, forty to fifty bushels of peaches, and large quantities of small fruits yearly. He is one of the largest feeders and dealers in live stock, principally hogs, in his section. He generally has from seventy-five to one one hundred head of hogs, and ships from two to five car loads of stock each week to St. Joe and Kansas City markets. He keeps from twenty-five to thirty head of stock cattle, fifty to seventy-five head of stock hogs, and from ten to twelve horses. Besides his farm in Robinson Township, Mr. Jordan is now the owner of “Wildey’s Addition” to the town of Robinson, which comprises altogether forty acres. Three and one-half acres of this addition have already been laid out in town lots, and are almost all sold, at prices ranging from $25 to $50. It will not be long, judging from the present progress of Robinson, before the remainder of the lots in the addition will be sold at higher figures, real estate having advanced considerably in this vicinity during the past year. Mr. Jordan is one of the prosperous and industrious farmers of Brown County, and a live, square business man, whose integrity is beyond question.
JOHN KREY, proprietor of “Riverside” farm, Section 7, Township 3, Range, 17, P. O. Robinson, was born in Baden, Germany, September 19, 1825, and lived in his native country until he was thirty years of age. He then immigrated to America and located in St. Joseph, Mo., June 9, 1857, where he resided nine months, and then removed to Andrew County, Mo., near Savannah, where he lived until 1865 and was engaged in farming and stock raising. On the 20th day of March, of this year, he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Brown County, where he has resided ever since. He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and of Robinson Lodge No. 159, A., F. & A. M., and was Treasurer of his lodge two years. He participated in the War of the Rebellion as a member of Capt. Castle’s Company, of Col. Ben Logan’s Regiment of Missouri Militia and enlisted in Savannah, Mo., in the spring of 1862. Served until the close of the war, and was discharged at St. Joe, Mo. He was married in Baden, Germany, in 1856, to Miss Louisa Hess, a native of Baden. They have four children: Louise, married to Julius Meecke, a native of Germany and a resident of Robinson; Mary Jane, Charles Abraham and Rosa Ama. Mr. Krey is a veteran soldier, having served in the German Army as a member of Company A, Second Regiment Artillery, before he came to America. He entered the German Army in 1845, and served until 1848, when he took part in the German Revolution, under Maj. Gen. Franz Sigel, and was in nine general engagements. When the Revolution was ended he, like hundreds of other patriotic sons of the Fatherland, left his native land for America. Mr. Krey's fruit and stock farm, “Riverside,” contains 225 acres, and lies three miles southwest of Robinson on Wolf River, and is one of the finest in this section. He has a fine fruitful orchard of 300 apple, 100 cherry, 1,000 peach and some very prolific plum trees, besides a thrifty bearing vineyard of 550 vines, and never fails of abundant fruitage all around. He has a dozen good springs and the river, fine native pasturage, good buildings, goood fences, and plenty of timber. He feeds a few steers and about fifty hogs, keeps fifty stock cattle and a good string of horses and mules. He grows 300 bushels of wheat, 5,000 bushels of corn, 300 bushels of oats, and some rye. He has made his money in this county, is a man of good common sense, intelligence and public spirit, and is greatly pleased with his adopted State.
J. L. LEMASTER, M. D., physician and surgeon, son of James and Emily Lemaster, was born in Clay County, Ind., twelve miles east of Terre Haute, November, 27, 1844. When but a lad of a few years his parents removed to McDonough County, Ill., and settled near where the city of Bushnell now stands and where his parents yet reside, his father being one of the wealthy and influential citizens of the county. Dr. Lemaster is the fifth child born in the family, all of whom are still living, there being four daughters and three sons. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in the Union Army as a private soldier in Company D, Seventieth Regiment Illinois Infantry to served three months, but owing to the limited number of men to do active service his regiment served five months and six days before being mustered out of the United States service. After his discharge he returned home and subsequently re-enlisted as a private soldier in Company I, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Infantry, and served in the Army of the Mississippi up to the 21st day of August, 1864, when he was taken prisoner in a general engagement between the Union Forces under Gen. Washburn and the rebels under Maj. Gen. Forrest, and along with the other Union prisoners was taken to Cahaba, Ala, where he was held until the general exchange of prisoners in March, 1865. After being released he was sent to Vicksburg, Miss., where he was taken sick and sent to the general hospital at this post, where he remained for some time, and was then transferred to the hospital at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Mo., where he remained until May of that year; when sufficiently restored to health he was ordered to Springfield, Ill., and was there during the funeral obsequies of the lamented Lincoln, taking part in the parade and other exercises of his burial. He was finally discharged from the service May 8, 1865. After returning home and after sufficiently regaining his health he entered the office of his brother-in-law, Dr. J. S. Kirby, of Bushnell, Ill., as a student of medicine, and in the fall and winter of 1867-68 he was admitted as a student in the Medical Department of the Iowa State University at Keokuk. After the close of the session at this institution in 1867-68 he returned to Bushnell, re-entered the office of Dr. Kirby and pursued his studies until the winter of 1868-69, when he again returned to the university to complete his course, where he graduated on the 25th of February, 1869, receiving the degree of M. D. Soon after he commenced the practice of his profession in Tremont, Ill., where he remained two years. He removed from there to Randolph County, Ill., where he enjoyed a large and lucrative practice, but owing to ill health he came West and settled in Robinson, Brown County, where he has since resided and is in the enjoyment of an extensive practice of medicine and surgery. Dr. Lemaster was one of the losers of the disastrous fire which swept the town of Robinson February 16, 1882, having but a short time previous finished and furnished one of the most complete offices in the county, but has since, in a great measure, recovered from his loss, having purchased real estate in the prosperous town in which he resides. Dr. Lemaster was the regular nominee of the Republican party of the county in 1881 for the office of Coroner, and received a majority of upwards of 700 votes over his Democratic competitor. Dr. Lemaster is a young physician of decided promise and a strong man in his profession. He is public spirited and stands high in social circles, and is widely known for his generosity and benevolence.
N. F. LESLIE, proprietor of Robinson Elevator, dealer in grain, Notary Public and Conveyancer, and Agent for German-American Fire, and Kansas Mutual Life Association, was born in Brookfield, Trumbull Co., Ohio, February 26, 1842, and lived in his native State until his eighteenth year, when he went to the Pennsylvania Oil regions, where he remained until the 25th day of April, 1861. He then entered the Union army as a member of Company C, Tenth Pennsylvania Reserve Corps. He served in this regiment until December, 1863, when he re-enlisted as a member of Company D, First Pennsylvania Rifles (Col. Kane’s “Bucktails.”) He served in this regiment until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Drainsville, Va., Seven Days’ Fight, Mechanicsville, Savage Station, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, Harrison’s Landing, Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Williamsport, Mine Run, the Wilderness campaign, comprising the engagements at Robinson’s Tavern, Spottsylvania C. H., North Anna River, Cold Harbor, Charles City C. H. and Petersburg. On the 19th day of August, 1864, he was taken prisoner at the last named place, by the rebel troops, under the command of Maj. Gen. Longstreet, and conveyed to Libby Prison, being subsequently transferred to Belle Isle, and Sansbury, N. C., from whence he was paroled February 22, 1865, and discharged from the United States service at Camp Parole, Annapolis, Md., June 26, 1865. After his discharge from the army, and after his shattered health had been restored, he attended Bryant & Stratton’s Commercial College, at Cleveland, Ohio, for six months, and then returned to Hubbard, Ohio, where he resided two years, and from there removed to Ogle County, Ill., where he lived five years, and was engaged in teaching. He taught one term in the Public Schools of this county, and two and a half years in Rock River Seminary, and then became a resident of Kansas, locating in Seneca, where he lived one year, and was engaged as Assistant Postmaster, and as a clerk in the drug store of McKay & Butt, in this city, for nine months, and during the remaining three months was engaged in teaching in the Public Schools in the vicinity of Seneca. From there he came to Hiawatha, where he had charge of the City Public Schools one year, and then entered the employ of the St. Joe & Denver City Railroad, at Robinson, as agent and operator. He was in the employ of this company at various points on the road, and in various capacities for eight years. He subsequently returned to Robinson, continued in the employ of the railroad company, and managed a lumber yard on his own account for five years. In 1878 he built a store and entered into the hardware business, in Robinson, in which he was engaged three years, and in the meantime, built, in connection with Dr. G. W. Parson Leslie & Parson’s Block, in Robinson, which was destroyed by fire, together with the hardware store, February 16, 1882. In September, 1881, he commenced operating the Robinson Elevator, in which business he is engaged at present. He is a member of Robinson Lodge, No. 159, A. F. & A. M., and of Mt. Horeb Chapter, R. A. M., of Hiawatha. He has been Commissioner of Brown County two years; a member of the House of the Kansas Legislature, Session of 1881-2, and Notary Public three years. He was a member of the Board of School District No. 26, Brown County, and during his term of office, in connection with other members of the Board, built the handsome school building which now adorns the town of Robinson. He was married April 9, 1873, in Hiawatha, to Miss D. P. Nichols, a native of Indiana. They have two children—Harry M. and Britomarte. The Elevator operated by Mr. Leslie was built in 1876, by Crosthwaite & Middleton, and is now owned by the Gregg Brothers’ Grain Company, of St. Joe, Mo., and has a capacity of 20,000 bushels. It is equipped with a corn sheller and feed mill, on which from three to five car loads of feed are cut each month, and which is shipped principally to St. Joe and Western markets. The elevator has a working capacity of ten cars of grain per day, and at present is kept busily employed, being run night and day, and is still behind hand on orders. There was shipped to St. Louis and other Eastern points from this elevator, during the past year: 57,000 bushels of wheat, 97,000 bushels of corn, 9,000 bushels of rye, 4,700 bushels of barley, 11,000 bushels of oats, all of which was raised in four townships of Brown, the Banner County of Kansas. There was also shipped and sold from this elevator during the same time, 450 tons of feed. Personally, Mr. Leslie is one of the most popular men in the county—is a man of generous impulse, large intelligence, liberal views, frank, manly nature, and great public spirit. He has served his country, both in the camp and forum, and to know him is to honor and respect him.
FREDERIC LYMAN, farmer, Section 25, Township 2, Range 18, P. O. Highland, came to Kansas in April, 1857, locating in La Fayette, Doniphan County, where he resided until 1864, and was engaged in the milling business. In April, 1864, he removed to his farm in Brown County, where he has resided since. He was Postmaster of La Fayette five years and Justice of the Peace of Center Township, Doniphan County seven years. He is a member of the Congregational Church, of Highland Lodge, No. 67, I. O. O. F. and of White Cloud Lodge, No. —, A. F. & A. M. He participated in the War of the Rebellion as Major of Col. Leland's regiment of militia, and enlisted in the fall of 1861, at Troy, served six months and was discharged at the same place. Esquire Lyman was born in Hadley, Mass., October 3, 1813, and lived in his native place until he removed to Kansas. He was married in Kingston, Mass., January 5, 1842, to Miss Caroline Elizabeth Whitten, a native of Massachusetts. They have had six children, three of whom are living—Melzar Whitten (a resident of Muskegon, Mich., married to Minnie DeVoe, a native of New Jersey), Helen L. (married to H. H. Steed, a native of Missouri, and a resident of St. Charles, in the same State), and Nannie. Mr. L. has a fine upland farm of 120 acres, all enclosed and all in cultivation. The water supply is excellent, and consists of springs and a good well. His orchard covers two acres, and has 100 bearing apple, twenty-five peach, twenty-five cherry, and a few pear and apricot trees. There is also an abundance of small fruits on the farm. The improvements consist of a fine family mansion, containing nine rooms, surrounded by shade trees and evergreens. A fine avenue of maple and catalpa trees leads from the main entrance to the house. The other improvements are a frame barn, 16x32 feet, granary, corn crib, etc. Mr. Lyman had twenty-two acres in wheat this season, which yielded 600 bushels; forty-five acres in corn, which averaged fifty bushels to the acre; eleven acres in rye, which yielded 300 bushels, and twenty two acres in timothy, exclusive of fifteen acres in pasturage, which yielded two tons to the acre. Major Lyman was a firm and consistent Free-state man before the war, and not only gave his own services during the dark days of the civil strife, but sent forth his eldest son, Charles Frederick, to battle for the Union. This bright and promising youth rose through the various grades, until he became First Sergeant of his company, D, Eighth Regiment, Kansas Infantry, and was killed before Atlanta, Ga., July 24, 1864. Had he lived a few days longer, he would have been promoted to a Lieutenancy in his company, his commission being on the way at the time he received his fatal wounds.