|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CAMPBELL - END).
A. H. CAMPBELL, horticulturist, Section 36, was born near Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1839. The family moved to Kansas in 1857, locating at Barnesville, and then came to Fort Scott, where his father, Col. William I. Campbell, was appointed Deputy United States Marshall, as early as 1858 and the history of whose life belongs to the history of Fort Scott. At the time the war broke out, A. H. being a member of the home guards, was mustered with the rest of his comrades into the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, then holding the commission of Second Lieutenant in Company H, participating in all the prominent engagements of the regiment. He commanded the advance guard which drove in the enemy's pickets at Newtonia, Mo., and had his horse killed under him in the cavalry charge at Cane Hill, Ark., at the time Lieut. Col. Jewell was killed. In this company he served until 1863, when he organized a company of his own and went into the field as Captain of Company G, Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry. For one year he was with his company and was then placed on Gen. Thayer's staff at Fort Smith, Ark., and acted as Assistant Inspector General of the frontier district. In the retreat of Steele's forces from Camden, Ark., to Little Rock, Ark., his company was the only one of cavalry detailed as rear guard, and at the battle of Jenkins' Ferry, or Saline River, his was the only cavalry in the fight. He was highly recommended in the report of Brig. Gen. Rice, of Iowa, under whose orders he was during the battle. He was mustered out March 6, 1866, and returned home. From 1874 to 1880, he was purchaser and Paymaster for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad.
JOSEPH BAXTER CHAPMAN, editor of the Banner, was born in Nauvoo, Ill., in February, 1853. He spent the early part of his life on a farm in Tama County, Iowa. His education was obtained in the district school, in the high school of Tama City, and in the University of Iowa, spending three years in each of the latter institutions, leaving the University in 1875. In the latter year he assumed editorial charge of the Tama City Press, a Democratic paper. Disposing of his interests in the Press in 1877, he returned to the University, graduating from the Law Department, and being admitted to the bar in June, 1878. In September of that year he established the Western Democrat at Beloit, Kan. In May, 1880, he was chosen a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Cincinnati, Ohio. In the fall of that year, he was nominated candidate for the State Senate, and although he ran 1,000 ahead of his ticket, he was defeated. In the fall of 1881, in connection with Hon. J. B. Fugate, he established the Topeka Daily Democrat, afterward changed to the State Press. In October, 1882, he was called to the editorship of the Banner.
NEWTON CHASE, farmer, Section 12, is a native of Illinois, born in 1844, near Quincy, and was raised and educated on a farm. He comes of Eastern parentage. His grandparents were from Massachusetts and his parents from Pennsylvania. In Illinois they were grain and stock farmers, and on coming to Kansas in 1869 he began grain farming on Section 12, taking 349 acres which he farmed as a grain farm. In 1875, he went into stock-raising. He now has a farm containing 1,177 acres, 424 of which he cultivates, the rest is grass and pasture for the stock. He has his farm fenced with hedge, stone and galvanized barb wire, and this year, 1882, the wonderful year of crops in Kansas, his oats of which he has had but few acres comparatively, averaged 60 bushels to the acre, corn about 45 bushels and a piece of 55 acres which was planted with rye last fall was turned under in June, and after the 16th was planted in corn, has turned out a wonderful crop. His farm is stocked with 1,000 head of sheep, 170 of hogs, 125 head of cattle. He has sold off a number of cattle at an average price of $48 apiece. He has two barns and is putting up another bank barn, 48x88. He has not neglected the fruit crop, as he has now 1,000 pear trees, 500 peach and 500 apple trees, and intends to set out 1,000 more trees in the spring. In 1879, he was married and has one Child living; has lost one. Mr. Chase is a Democrat.
HON. ORLANDO A. CHENEY, Probate Judge, was born in Brandon, Vt., June 28, 1848, and has educated and supported himself since he was thirteen years of age. He came to Fort Scott in March, 1872. Having read law in Windsor County, Vt., previously, he was admitted to the bar of Kansas the same year, and has since been engaged in practice. He was Justice of the Peace of the city of Fort Scott nearly six years, but resigned that position upon being elected to the office of Probate Judge; was also United States Commissioner, which office he resigned. September 6, 1878, he was married to Miss Ella A. Fassett; they visited the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia, and returned to Fort Scott, where they lived happily together until August 4, 1880, when after a very brief illness, she died of peritonitis. Mr. Cheney is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the Congregational Church. He was re-elected to the office of Probate Judge in 1882, by an overwhelming majority.
LYMAN R. CHURCH was born in Ohio, 1834; went to Marion County, Ohio; 1868 came to Kansas, located at Fort Scott; in 1868 he located in Crawford County, Kan., on a farm near Girard; lived on the farm until March, 1882; he then moved to Fort Scott. Is engaged in the book business. He was married in Ohio in 1861, to Miss Susan Frazier, a native of Ohio. They have three children, William J., Ralph P. and John. He belongs to the Odd Fellows Lodge and the Christian Church. Enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers; remained with this regiment four months. Was one of the early settlers of Crawford County, Kan.
THOMAS COCHRAN, farmer, Section 5, native of Scott County, Ind., and when thirty-five years of age, or in 1867, he moved to Iowa and went into farming, but sold out and prepared to move to Kansas, but remained till the fall of 1869. The last summer he was there he worked at the carpenter trade. October 28, 1869, he located on his present farm, which he bought of Mr. Stansbury, consisting of 240 acres, which he has converted into an improved stock and grain farm, handling about 100 to 150 head of cattle in a year, besides hogs. His orchards are wonderfully productive, having some 1,200 apple trees, which produced this year, 1882, 1,200 barrels. He also, on the rich soil of this farm, raises good crops of wheat and oats. Mr. Cochran has held township and school offices, reposed in him as indicative of the high estimation in which he is held by his friends, who in 1880 elected him to the State Legislature. He has been a member of the Masonic order since 1868, and on September 12, 1853, he married Miss Oard. They have four children. Mr. Cochran's experience has not been one of unmixed prosperity, for in 1872, he was burned out, and again in 1876, losing fences, hay, trees and all but the soil of the farm. He is a member of the Christian Church, and a Republican.
MRS. M. J. COLTON, proprietress of the Colton House, is a native of Worcester Co., Mass.; born in 1827, and was married to Mr. Colton in 1856. They lived in Australia nine years and five in New Zealand. They then came across the Pacific to Panama, across the Isthmus and sailed for New York, and in March, in 1866, landed and proceeded to Boston. They visited Mrs. Colton's old home, and then moved westward; lived in Rochester, N. Y., one year. While here Mr. Colton came West to Kansas, and purchased 480 acres of excellent land in Bourbon County for a stock farm, and the next year they moved onto it, remaining there until February, 21, 1870, then moved where Mr. Colton had begun building; however, his labors were closed in death, February 5, 1879. Mrs. Colton since her widowhood has lost a residence in Fort Scott, which was burned in 1881, so that now she and her daughter, Miss Clara, live in the fine large building known as the Colton House, which she still retains as she does 160 acres of the homestead farm located on Range 25, Township 25, Section 5, Bourbon County. Mr. Colton was a native of New York, and was born in 1821.
J. N. COLE, farmer, Section 3; native of West Virginia; born in 1842, and was raised on a farm, an orphan boy; he succeeded in getting a common school education, and when the war of the rebellion broke out enlisted in the Third West Virginia Volunteer Infantry, Company A, and while scouting below Springfield of that State, was taken prisoner, and with seventy-eight others confined in Andersonville. This was in the spring of 1863, and November 28, 1863, he was exchanged at Savannah, Ga., and returned to Virginia where he went into the Sixth West Virginia Cavalry, Company F, serving as Sergeant till the close of the war. He was mustered out at Leavenworth, Kan. Liking the State, he returned to it from West Virginia, locating on Section 6, Scott Township, Bourbon County, in 1866, and in 1869 he bought his present stock and grain farm, consisting of 360 acres, all well fenced, having a fine orchard and 170 acres under the plow. In 1879 he married Miss Sharp, a niece of J. B. Trimblee. They had three children, but lost two. Their son is named Charlie N. Mr. Cole has held township offices of trust, having also been School Treasurer.
WILLIAM M. COLE, grocer. He is a native of Missouri, was born in 1846, and raised on a farm. Left home in 1869 and came to Kansas, locating first at Neosho County, and went to farming, but in 1872 came to Fort Scott, going to work for Val. McKinley in the liquor trade, going into the grocery when the Prohibition law closed the liquor trade here. In 1870, he married Miss Dempsey, of Michigan. They have a family of four children, three boys and one girl.
J. A. COMMERFORD, Superintendent of the Fort Scott National Cemetery, was born in Lowell, Mass., November 2, 1838. His early years were spent in attending the public schools at Lowell, graduating at the grammar to enter the High School at the age of fifteen. He studied at this school two years and then entered business with his father till 1862, when he enlisted in the Third Massachusetts Cavalry and upon his enlistment was made Second Lieutenant of his company; was promoted First Lieutenant in 1863, and in 1864 to Captain. At the close of the war he received a complimentary commission as Major of his regiment, from Gov. John A. Andrew. His career as a soldier and officer was meritorious and gallant. He commanded the Color Company of his regiment at the battles of Winchester, where he was wounded; Cedar Creek and Fisher's Hill, Va. Was with Sheridan on his famous ride; was at the siege of Port Hudson, and battle of Irish Bend, La.; was appointed Assistant Provost Marshal of the Second Division Nineteenth Army Corps, and had charge of the Confederate prisoners at Baton Rouge, La., in 1863. He served through the Red River expedition, and under special order, from Gen. Grover, was detached from his regiment to transfer men from the army to the navy. September 28, 1865, he was honorably discharged, the war being ended. During the service he received serious and permanent injury. After the close of the war he held several positions in the customs service at Mobile, Ala. At his own request he was made Superintendent National Cemetery at New Berne, N. C. In 1879 was transferred from this place to Fort Scott, Kan., National Cemetery, of which he became Superintendent April 15, 1881. Mr. Commerford was married in 1872 to Mrs. E. H. Stearns, a native of Illinois, and has two children, Pauline and Lionel.
JOHN H. COUCH, physician and surgeon, arrived in Fort Scott, then a village of about 100 inhabitants, in March, 1857. His family arrived about two months later; he has lived here ever since, engaged in practice. He was interested in the drug business for about five years, and has also been engaged in farming, owning several farms at the present time. Dr. Couch served as president of the school board for several years. He was born at Lexington, Ky., April 8, 1827, but removed to Indiana, when two and a half years old, and was reared and educated in that State, receiving both a collegiate and medical education. In 1852 he went to Monroe, Greene Co., Wis., and resided there until he came to Kansas, being married at that point April 9, 1854, to Lillis Andrick, a daughter of Judge Jacob Andrick, of Wisconsin, formerly of Indiana. They have five children living--Mada A., now Mrs. Chapman; Otto D., John H., Birdie M. and Wina Etta, and lost one son, William Andrick, aged three years and ten months.
D. C. COOPER, engineer, was born in 1845, in Pike County, Ill., and at the age of fifteen, he enlisted in Company I, Sixty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry (his father having previously enlisted in Company H, Fiftieth Illinois). The Sixty-second was in the Sixteenth Army Corps, and were subsequently transferred to the Seventh Army Corps. He was in a number of skirmishes prior that at Parker's Cross Roads when fighting Jerry Sullivan, surprised Forrest and recaptured from him three regiments of the Union army. In the fall of 1865 he was at Pine Bluff, and was shortly afterward with the regiment on frontier duty at Fort Gibson, being relieved by the Nineteenth Regulars, February 20, 1866, and mustered out at Little Rock, receiving final discharge at March 19, 1866, at Springfield, Ill. He remained in Illinois until 1868, when with his father's family, he removed to Kansas, finally locating at Fort Scott. For several years he was engaged in "freighting" on the Western plains, trading with the Indians and frontier posts and settlers. Since 1877, Mr. Cooper has been engaged on the Kansas Pacific, Fort Scott & Gulf and other railroads, as fireman and engineer, and is now in the employ of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad. August 2, 1868, he married Miss Elinor W. Keppler, of Hancock County, Ill., by whom he has six children living. Mr. Cooper is a member of Post 35, G. A. R., of Fort Scott.
W. A. CORMANY, insurance agent, is a native of Ohio. He was born in 1841, just before his parents reached Lithopolis, Ohio, to which place they were emigrating from Pennsylvania. He attended school in Lancaster, Ohio until he reached the age of ten years; he then went to work at telegraphy, but the employment being too confining he hired out to a carpenter; he worked at this for some little time until an accident occurred near ending his life. Then he gave up carpentering and tried printing, working three years in the Lancaster Gazette office; then went from Lancaster to Cincinnati, Ohio, and there engaged himself to the Cincinnati Commercial. He worked here six years, the last three having charge of the show bill department of that office. In 1861, he enlisted in the Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was in thirty-three hard-fought battles, among which were Shiloh, Stone River, Fort Donelson, Chickamauga, etc. He was one of the men that tore the Confederate flag off of the State House at Nashville, Tenn. He was one of the firing squad at the burial of Gen. Nelson, at Louisville, Ky. He was captured by John Morgan and held as a hostage for one of Morgan's men. He was also captured at Stone River, and was confined in Libby Prison for several months. He was mustered out of the service in 1864 and went to Chicago where he became one of the publishers of the Voice of the Fair, a daily paper published under the management of S. P. Rounds during the Sanitary Fair held that year in Chicago. He then went to Mount Carroll, Ill., and published the Mount Carroll Mirror. In 1866 he left for Kansas with but $350. On his way and while in St. Joe, Mo., he was robbed. He arrived in Fort Scott with $50. He formed a partnership here with Oscar Edwards and resurrected the Fort Scott Monitor, the firm being Cormany & Edwards. In two years he sold his interest in the Monitor, and in 1869, went into partnership with J. S. Emmert in the real estate business. Shortly afterward they took into the firm W. A. Shannon. In 1870, Emmert & Kellar bought the interest of Cormany & Shannon. He then went into the insurance business, making the first year only $150. In 1881 he formed a partnership with A. Graff, the name of the firm being Cormany & Graff. He has been a member of the School Board, Secretary of the Board of Trade, and Secretary of the Second Ward Republican Committee for fourteen years. In 1864, he married Miss Emmert; they have six children. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. He is now special agent and adjuster of the North British & Mercantile Insurance Company of London and Edinburgh, and has charge of the company's business in Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and the Indian Territory.
JAY COREY, M. D., came to Fort Scott in March 1882. He was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., October 18, 1850, and went to Michigan with his parents when only three or four years of age. He lived in Michigan until 1878, most of the time in Ionia. He received his education at the Agricultural College of Michigan, at Lansing, and at Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago, graduating from the latter institution in the spring of 1882. He was married at Ionia, Mich., December 17, 1876, to Dacie Vance, a native of Clinton, Mich. They have one child--Paris.
J. F. COTTRELL; book store; native of St. Clair, Mich. At an early age he entered a dry goods house in Detroit, as cash boy with a salary of $1 a week and board; beginning at the bottom of the ladder, he has continued rising since. After four years he went to Bay City, remaining here till 1866; then returning to Detroit, he entered the old firm at $1,200 a year. In 1869, he came to Fort Scott on account of his health, and opened a stationary stand in the Wilder House, buying out Charles Corbin, and afterward John C. Campbell, in 1877, and opened in the new Opera House building. In 1881, he moved to his present stand, occupying a room twenty-five foot front and 110 deep, carrying a stock from nine to fifteen thousand. William sic Cottrell was City Treasurer from 1878 to 1881, and was instrumental in effecting the city compromise in 1878. He is Treasurer of the Bourbon County Fair Association, and is a member of the Catholic Church.
M. CUMMINGS, farmer, Section 20, native of Jefferson County, Mo., was born in 1826. In 1830, he went to Pennsylvania with his parents, and in 1832, they moved to Ohio; while here he learned the trade of wagon maker, and worked at it until he came to Kansas in 1861. He took a claim on Section 7, Scott Township, in this county, but sold and moved to Fort Scott, where he worked at his trade. He had, during the war, served in the State militia when called on. In 1867, he bought and moved on his present place, which was entirely unimproved, but which is now in perfect working order as a grain and stock farm. He has been married twice, in 1847, and in 1863, having eight children.
S. M. CUTLER, teacher in the Normal School, Fort Scott, is a native of Spencer County, Ind., born December 1, 1855. In 1875 and '76, attended the National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio. Commenced teaching in 1874, alternating from school room to student's desk, earning money to educate himself, and graduated in 1879 from the Central Normal College of Danville, Ind. He came to Fort Scott the same year, and bought a part interest in the Normal School, with Prof. D. E. Sanders, and the school improved and enlarged under their supervision, having had 40 pupils; it now has 150. Mr. Cutler is now Superintendent of the city schools, Columbus, Kan. In 1879, he married Miss Ella Dickerson, of Danville, Ind. They have one son, named Frank Garfield, and one named Thomas H.
PETER DALRYMPLE, came to Fort Scott in 1871, and has since been connected with the Goodlander Mill. He has always devoted his entire attention to the management and development of the flouring mill interests with which he has been connected, and has been for the last two years one of the proprietors of the mill. Mr. Dalrymple is a native of Scotland, and came to this country in 1860. He was a resident of Chicago prior to coming to Fort Scott.
D. D. DAUGHERTY, East Wall street, was born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1827, and lived there until he was thirteen years of age, and moved to Delaware County, Ind., and his family settled right in the woods and commenced clearing a farm, at which they succeeded; he then cleared one of his own, afterward selling, and still another which he sold. In 1863 he was elected Sheriff of Delaware County, serving four years, and then engaged in the grain business, in which he lost about all he had, and then came west to Barton County, Mo. In 1869, he went to farming , but gave it up and went to Fort Scott in 1870, and opened a meat market on Wall street. He was burnt out of his first stand, and then moved into the present place, Cotton House. He has been married three times, in 1848, 1856 and 1878, and has two boys and two girls. In 1876, he was elected to the City Council, and again in 1881. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. and the K. of H.
J. W. DAVIS, of the firm of Davis & Co., grain and seed dealers was born in Bourbon County, Ky., from there going to Bourbon County, Kan. where he established business in 1872, representing the only exclusive grain and seed firm in the city, and the largest and oldest on the Texas Division of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. They have introduced into the trade what is known as the loan system, getting a loan of castor beans and flax seed from Eastern firms, and then paying the seed back. This business has grown of late years until it is becoming a most important trade. The crops of beans and flax are less afflicted by drought than the cereals, and are not so subject to the depredations of chinch bugs and grasshoppers. In addition to this, a price is made with the farmer for the crop, which saves them from the fluctuations of the market. Mr. Davis was a farmer before coming to Bourbon County, Kan.
MISS J. N. DAVIDSON, teacher in Room 9, Central School, is a native of Vinton County, Ohio. She attended the village school in childhood, afterward going to the high school at Wilkville. In 1871, they came to Kansas, and she attended the public school in Fort Scot and finally graduated in high school and Normal course under Prof. Dilworth, and after an examination in 1875, received a first class certificate, and commenced teaching in Room 5, Central School. In 1876, she went to Parsons, and taught in the grammar school. In the spring of 1878, taught a district school, and then returned to Fort Scott, teaching in Room 7, but in 1882 was promoted to Room 9, where she is now industriously engaged.
SILAS ADDISON DAY, publisher of the Herald and Record, was born at New Albany, Ind., November 4, 1842. His father was S. C. Day, a native of New Jersey, a wholesale dry goods merchant at New Albany, and is now a private banker of that place. His mother was a native of Kentucky, her maiden name being Harriet N. McClung. Silas A. Day received the rudiments of his education at the New Albany High School, and at Tonsley's Academy. He then attended successively Miami University, Oxford, Ohio; Hanover College, Indiana, where he graduated in 1863; attended medical lectures in Paris, France, during the winter of 1863-64; attended the Polytechnic Institute at Stuttgart, Germany, in the summer of 1864, and attended law lectures in Tubingen, Germany, during the following winter. Returning to New Albany, he was admitted to the bar in 1866, and practiced law there until March, 1869, when he moved to Fort Scott, and followed the practice of his profession until January, 1871; having the preceding fall been elected Probate Judge of Bourbon County, he at that time (January, 1871) entered upon the duties of that office, in which he was continued until January, 1877. In the fall of 1876, he was elected to the State Legislature in which he served one term as Chairman of the Committee of Ways and Means. Returning to Fort Scott, he resumed, and continued the practice of law until February, 1882, when he purchased the Herald, a weekly newspaper. In June, 1882, he established the Evening Herald, and in September, he purchased the Record, combined that paper with the Herald, and now publishes the consolidated papers under the name of the Herald and Record, as a weekly paper, in addition to the publication of the Evening Herald as a daily. He was married in June, 1868, to Miss Mary E. McMillen, of Cincinnati, Ohio. They have had five children, all of whom have died.
CHARLES DE MOISEY, teacher in Room 4; native of East Tennessee; born in 1851. In his youth, although having school advantages, he took little interest in them, and at the age of fourteen he had made but little progress. At this time, his father lost his property, and he was awakened to the necessity of having an education, so he went to Cincinnati, and while there attended the Chickering Institute, and in 1869 got a position on the Government survey under Col. Averett. Here he developed his talent as a draftsman, and was alloted sic the best position on the corps. He was afterward employed on the Southern Pacific Railroad, by T. Scott. In 1875, he started to California, and went up the Gila River. On reaching San Antonia, he returned, and came to Bourbon Co.; went to farming and teaching. He taught in Marmaton for three years; then came to Fort Scott, and took charge of the east school in 1882. In 1881, he married Miss Gordon. They reside on their farm on Section 19, which is a convenient ride from his school.
FERD DE STWOLINSKI, mining engineer, was born in Germany, December 1, 1840, and educated at mining and engineering institutions in that country. He was for twelve years an officer in the French-Belgium Societe Anonyme des Mines et Fonderies de Zinc de la Vielle Montague. He came to America in 1869, and was in the employ of Matthiessen A. Hegelar Zinc Company. at La Salle, Ill., for six years and a half, erecting their concentrating works. He after removed to Missouri, and erected the machinery for Mine Las Motte Company, Desloge Lead Company and several other works of similar character in Southeastern Missouri. He was next employed in erecting the extensive concentrating works of the Granby Smelting & Mining Company in Joplin, and other works in that vicinity. He removed to Fort Scott in 1881, and has since been employed with the Fort Scott Foundry & Machine Shops, in the capacity of mining and mechanical engineer, and having entire charge of their mining department. The mining machinery built by the Fort Scott Foundry & Machine Works has the reputation of being the best in the country, and is all put up under the personal supervision of Mr. De Stwolinski, he giving his entire attention to this particular kind of work. He has put up machinery extensively in Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, New Mexico, Mexico, and the far western mining regions.
E. E. DIX, agent, native of Lawrence, Kansas,; born in 1860. He commenced November 12, 1878, as operator at Olathe for the K., C. & F. S. & G. R. R.; has had four stations since then, and has acted as last agent. In 1882, he was appointed agent at Fort Scott, the best station on the road.
ALBERT DOUD, dentist, came to Olathe, Kan., in September, 1868, and was engaged in the practice of his profession there until he came to Fort Scott December 25, 1879. He has been engaged in practice of dentistry about fifteen years. He was born near Peru, Ind., April 27, 1842, and received his education principally in that town. He served in Company K, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry in 1864, for about four months, his regiment doing service in Alabama and Tennessee most of the time. He is a member and Past President of the Kansas State Dental Society, a member of the A., F. & A. M., and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Dr. Doud was married, at Olathe, September 15, 1870, to Manett Whitcomb, a native of Vermont. They have four children--Winnifred, Manetta, Alberta and Sarah Jane.
CHARLES F. DRAKE, President of Bank of Fort Scott, came to Fort Scott in June, 1858. At the time of his arrival, it was a village of about 200 inhabitants, Col. Hiero Wilson, merchant; Benjamin Riggens, later at Kansas City, and now in the West mining, and Drs. Hill and Little being the principal business men. He immediately engaged in the hardware and tinware trade, establishing the first hardware store in that region, and drawing his trade principally from Missouri. In 1862, he closed out his stock, and the troops occupied his building for some time, he afterward returning, and remaining in business there until 1876. He organized the First National Bank in Fort Scott, acting as Vice President until 1877, and then as cashier until 1880, and also the Fort Scott Bank, which is owned as a partnership by Charles F. Drake, President; Charles Nelson, Cashier, and Charles F. Martin, Assistant Cashier. They do a general banking business, and are largely interested in farming. Mr. Drake is a native of Mount Vernon, Knox County. He was born September 1, 1832, and resided there until he came to Kansas. He was elected a member of the Kansas State Legislature in 1863, there being but three votes against him. He secured the passage of the law, locating the county seat, by a vote of the people, and in 1864, organized the first school district in Fort Scott, and he, being Secretary of the School Board, transacted the burden of the business. He has since held various local offices, serving the city as Mayor, Councilman and City Treasurer, and in 1865 was a candidate for State Senator. He is the proprietor of the Fort Scott Cement Works, one of the most complete works of the kind in the country, employing from twenty to forty men, and having a capacity for crushing and grinding about one hundred barrels per day, and one-fifth owner of the Goodlander Flouring Mill & Elevator Company. Mr. Drake is a member of A., F. & A. M., and for thirty years belonged to the I. O. O. F.
JOHN EMMERT, real estate agent, is a native of Washington County, was born in 1813, near Hagerstown, where he was raised on the farm, and engaged in farming till 1872, when he came West, and located in Fort Scott. He married in Maryland, and has eight children. His son William is mining and storekeeping in Mexico; John H. is in the employ of the Gulf Railroad; Charles is in the West End Grocery with J. P. Robens; Miss Louisa is clerking in J. M. Bright's store; Miss Helen is a teacher in the central school building, and he has three married daughters in Maryland, wives of farmers.
END & HAFER, merchant tailors, established August 1, 1881. J. F. End was the founder of the business, and started it in 1881. He is a native of France, and was born March 22, 1853. His knowledge of the business was gained in France. He worked at it three years in Paris; from there he came to New York in 1871, moving thence to St. Louis, and worked for F. W. Luhre, clothing house, and then going to Mexico, Mo. He came from there to Fort Scott in 1873. He remained until 1877, and went back to St. Louis, coming back in 1880. He worked for H. Brown one year, and then bought F. O. Baker out. The firm was then End & Miller. He then, on the 1st of January, bought out Miller's interest, and in May took Mr. J. Hafer into the firm. Mr. End married Miss Karlleskint, of Fort Scott. They have one child. Mr. Hafer is a native of Franklin County, Penn.; born in 1836. He learned his trade in Mansfield, Ohio, and then traveled over the country looking for a location, and settled in Napoleon, Ohio, where he remained until the opening of the war, and then enlisted in the Thirty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company B; served as Commissary Sergeant, and was holding his commission as First Lieutenant; but resolved to not use it, so returned to Napoleon, Ohio, soon after going to Ligonier, Noble Co., Ind. In the fall of 1866, he went to work for Strauss Brothers. Leaving them in 1870, he came to Humboldt, Kansas, and opened a shop, where he stayed until February, 1882, when he went to Nevada, Mo., and opened there; but not liking it, he came to Fort Scott, and went into his present business. He married in Napoleon, Ohio. They have three children.