|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (AHRENS - BURGE).
ROBERT AIKMAN, M. D., came to Kansas in October, 1865. His first location was at Leavenworth, but about one year later he removed to Olathe, which was his home most of the time until he came to Fort Scott in March, 1875. He is a native of Vermilion County, Ind., born April 15, 1844, and his home was there until he came to Kansas. He served two years in the Eighteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, during the late war. Dr. Aikman received his education at Bloomingdale Academy, at the University of Michigan, from the medical department of which he graduated in 1868, and at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, graduating from the latter institution in 1880. He commenced practice in Leavenworth, in company with another physician, and has been engaged in practice since coming to Fort Scott. He is a member of the State Medical Association, the S. E. Medical Society, the A., F. & A. M., and the K. of P. He was married in Leavenworth, May 25, 1870, to Josephine C. Coffin, a native of Parke County, Ind. They have two children--Hal M. and Paul.
J. M. ANTHONY, dealer in sewing machines, corner of Wall street and Scott avenue, is a native of Washington County, N. Y., born in 1834. He came to Kansas in 1856, arriving at Kansas City in the spring. He located a farm near Osawatomie of which he broke and fenced nine acres, and built a 9x12 house here. After a time he was obliged to protect himself against the border ruffians and Pro-slavery men. He barely at one time saved his Sharp's rifle from capture, and was with John Brown in some of his movements in 1856. While milking that evening, after the battle of Osawatomie, he was addressed by John Brown, who approached from the woods, and on learning that his comrades were killed, went to a neighbor's and rested, and then went on to Lawrence. In 1858, as Mr. Anthony relates, he had met with an accident and was obliged to go to town; so a neighbor yoked up the oxen and drove him to Osawatomie; when they drove up to the post office, a lady met him whom he at once recognized as Miss Luther, a young lady to whom he was engaged. He had the stage hitched up, and then proceeded at once to the parson's, and there they were married, returning to his little 9x12 residence, and the young couple's partaking the next morning of the very best meal they had ever eaten before or after, consisting of ham, hoe cake and coffee. In 1860, he went to Pike's Peak, and farmed in 1861, going down on to the Platte River, and settling 100 miles from Omaha. Enlisting in the Seventh Kansas Cavalry, Company A, in 1862, and after a varied experience returning in 1865 to Leavenworth, Kan., going into the insurance business where he lived until 1869, when he came to Fort Scott, opening a sewing machine depot, to which he intends giving his attention for the future. Mr. Anthony became identified with the temperance movement at the earliest period, and is now the President of the Committee on Prosecution, and although his life has been threatened and he has been attacked personally three different times, he stands undaunted. His family consists of his wife, himself and four children.
WILLIAM H. ALCORN, farmer, Section 10, is a native of Washington, R. I., born in 1841. His father, Henry Alcorn, who is a native of County Donegal, Ireland, came to Rhode Island in 1819, and in 1823 married Miss Hannah Fenne. They moved to Kansas in 1858, and located in the northeast quarter of Section 14, which William bought of a party for a yoke of steers. They remained on this till 1861, when they let Mr. Baker have it for a piece on Section 10, southwest quarter, and having bought since, they now live on the west half of of the southeast quarter of Section 10, having 260 acres which is farmed in stock and grain. The broad acres are covered with abundant crops of corn and hay. Mr. William Alcorn has been married, but lost his wife. She left him one child, a son. His father, Henry Alcorn, has always followed the trade of blacksmith since learning it in Rhode Island, now having a shop on the farm, and although seventy years of age, he can turn out as smooth a job as in days of yore. William's brother, John was in the Sixth Kansas Regiment, and served during the war.
P. J. ANSHUTZ, farmer, Section 10, is a native of Germany, born in 1809. He emigrated to America and located in Ohio. Here he entered the steamboating business on the Ohio River, where he was Pilot and Captain, following this life from 1833 to 1851, and being prominent among the steamboat men of the Ohio and the Lower Mississippi, as the builder of the Queen of the West and Swallow. In 1851, he took a trip to England, going over in the Baltic. His intention was to see the World's Fair at the Crystal Palace, which he succeeded in doing, then going from there to Paris, and on with his party to Lyons, where he tired and turned through Switzerland, and down the Rhine to his old home near Strasburg; he then returned to America, and in 1878 settled on his farm in Kansas. His family consists of himself, wife and daughter, Amanda, his three sons being away from home.
O. AUSTIN, grocer, native of New Hampshire. Before leaving his native State he had learned the carpenter trade, but on account of his health moved West, going to St. Louis, Mo., and then to Kansas, locating at Lawrence in 1874, but came to Fort Scott, and in 1876, he bought out what is known as the West End Meat Market, kept by Edward Marble. In 1881, he put in a stock of groceries, and now has for a partner Mr. Hobson. He is married and has six children.
JUDGE A. M. AYERS, attorney at law, is a native of Washington County, Penn. He lived several years in Ohio, and then located in Urbana, Ill. He had charge of the organization of the I., B. & W. R. R., and was attorney for that road for five years, remaining in practice at Urbana until he came to Fort Scott. He drew up the charter and articles of incorporation of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad, and filed them February 23, 1880. He was one of the original Board of Directors, and Vice President of the company, and was President until March 10, 1882, when he sold out his interest to L. M. Bates He is now interested in timber lands and town companies along the route of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad, and in the Gilfillan Flag Stone Company. This stone is used for sidewalks, window sills and copings, and was pronounced the best flag stone in the country by the Government Representative. They are now working thirty-two layers and are employing twenty-five men, and ship mostly to Atchison, Topeka and Emporia, Kansas, and Springfield, Nevada, Kansas City and St. Louis, Mo.
C. W. BAILER, Principal of the Plaza School, a native of Randolph County, Mo., was born in 1857. He graduated from the high school of Huntsville, Mo., and commenced teaching in Howard County. In 1878, he went to Lebanon, Mo., where he taught an ungraded school until 1880, when he came to Fort Scott, and entered the school as Principal. In 1880, he married Miss Fannie U. Payne, of Coldwater, Ohio. She is also a teacher, having taught in Lincoln Institute, Jefferson City, Mo., prior to her engagement here.
G. R. BALDWIN, M. D., has lived at Fort Scott since April, 1866; in active practice during the whole period. He is a native of Saugerties, Ulster County, N. Y.; born May, 1840. He received an academic education at Tescumseh, Minn., and began the study of medicine at Ann Arbor, Mich., completing it at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York. He commenced practice in the army, being Surgeon of the Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry from 1862 until the close of the war. Dr. Baldwin was married at Fort Scott in 1867, to Annie E. Johnston, a daughter of Mrs. John S. Miller, who located here in 1860. They have two children--Robert R. and Frederick. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and the G. A. R.
THOMAS BARNETT, M. D., came to Kansas in 1870, with his family. He opened a farm in Barton County, and was in practice there about five years. Has been in Fort Scott and Findlay, Kan., the balance of the time. He is a member of the Southeastern Kansas District Medical Association; Alumni Society of Medical Association; A., F. & A. M.; Methodist Episcopal Church, and various temperance organizations, and is a regular ordained elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the District Conference, and was Chaplain of the Nineteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment nearly two years. He is also a member of the Board of Examining Surgeons for Pensions. Dr. Barnett was born in Washington, Fayette County, Ohio, July 17, 1833, and removed to Wayne, Ind., with his parents, when six years of age, making that State his home until 1870. He received his education at the Union Literary Institute, over two years in Randolph County, Ind., and at Whitewater College at Centerville, and was a member of the faculty of same last year (tutor of mathematics), Wayne County, Ind. remaining in the latter institute three years. He is also a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College. Dr. Barnett was married in Noble County, Ind., in March, 1856, to Christian R. Haggerty, a native of Sussex County, N. Y. They have two children--Molly May, now Mrs. John Trinder, of Fort Scott, and Annie Jane, now Mrs. J. R. Taylor, of Rockville, Mo.
HENRY BASEMANN, Sr., gunsmith, is a native of Sendersleben, Saxony, Germany,
HENRY BASEMANN, JR., proprietor of Basemann's Billiard Parlors, was born in 1845 in New York City, and lived at home until enlisting in 1862, returning to his home in 1865, an invalid. He moved to Fort Scott in 1873; in 1878, he was appointed to the police force of the city by John A. Bryant; he was also engaged in gunsmithing at this time, but in 1881 he dropped both and took up his present business. In 1873, he married Miss Endicott, of Drywood, Bourbon Co., Kan., daughter of Gabriel Endicott, one of the early settlers of this county. They have two children--Lillie and Lulu. Mr. Basemann is a member of the I. O. O. F. and also of the G. A. R.
WILLIAM BASEMANN, gunsmith, 312 west side of the square. When his father, Henry Basemann, Sr., moved to Eudora, he had his family sent out some seven weeks afterward and with them they brought Henry. He arrived in the state in 1857, remaining at home until he was sixteen or seventeen years of age, then starting on his travels to other parts. In 1875, he came to Fort Scott and opened the gun business, having for a partner his brother Henry; they dissolved the firm in 1882, April 17; he now conducts the business alone. He married Miss Wincell, of Bates, Mo., in 1880, and they have one boy named Henry, who was born January 24, 1881. Mr. Basemann is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Catholic Church.
S. D. BATES, teacher in Room 1, Third Ward Building, is now the teacher of longest standing in the Fort Scott Schools, having taught from 1869 to the present time in 1882. She was born in Vanderburgh County, Ind., her early education was acquired in the convent of Indianapolis, Ind., where she finished her course and intended attending the head school of that organization in Terre Haute, but after her course of study in the convent she returned home in 1857; about this time, a gentleman of her acquaintance proposed to her to go to Kansas and teach, and some months afterward was surprised to receive a call for a school in Fort Scott, which had been obtained by her friend, so she came in 1869, taking an ungraded school in East Scott, under the most discouraging circumstances; but with Spartan courage has persevered, and is now nicely established. When the school of East Scott was burned, she moved to Shield's Building, and with Prof. Frankenburger, Miss Caldwell and Miss Hoxie, taught till the new building was completed. In 1881, her enrollment was 136, and the average seventy-seven.
HON. WILLIAM J. BAWDEN, attorney at law, located at Fort Scott, March, 1866, and has since been engaged in the practice of law at that point. He has been a member of the Board of Education three terms, County Attorney seven years, Assistant United States Attorney three years, and served as District Judge a short time to fill a vacancy. He is a native of Baltimore, born August 31, 1833, and lived in Maryland and Delaware until 1853, then removing to Ohio. He taught school for a short time in Licking and Fairfield counties, and then entered the Ohio University at Athens, Ohio. He subsequently read law at that place and was admitted to the bar in 1863. After assisting in raising three different regiments, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was detailed to headquarters and received the position of Quartermaster Sergeant, which he held until he left the service in the fall of 1864. After leaving the army, he spent one year in Indiana prospecting and looking for a permanent location before coming to Kansas. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F., and was Commander of the G. A. R. Post at Fort Scott in 1867. He was married at Crystal Lake, Ill., February 8, 1866, to Annie R. Walsh, a native of Athens, Ohio. They have five children--William Culver, Edna Estelle, Mable Clare, Annie Maud and Grace.
JOSEPH BECK, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Memphis, is a native of Center County, Penn., born in 1829, and at the age of twenty-six he was married in Center County, by Rev. Mr. Spotwood of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1858 he came West and first located on Buck Run; but this was supposed to be in the Cherokee reservation, so he abandoned it; at the same time rented land in Missouri, but did not leave Kansas, and in June, 1859, he took a claim in Section 22, consisting of 160 acres, it being very near to the timber he owned. At first he carried on grain-raising but afterward changed it to a stock farm in 1863. In 1866 he lost all of his cattle by a disease known as the Spanish fever. He then tried grain-raising again, and is now working into stock, having 400 acres in the farm of which 120 acres is in cultivation. He has improved his farm, fencing and putting up a fine residence and barn, having built a log house in 1859, that he is now using as a corn crib. In 1870 he built his house and in 1874 his barn. They had a family of three children--two daughters grown and married, and one son now at home who is intending to become a civil engineer. Mr. Beck has always been identified with the public school interests, having served on the board for years.
JOHN S. BELL, grocer, native of Fayette County, Penn., he was born the 25th of March, 1838, his boyhood was spent on the farm and after getting his education commenced teaching in the fall of 1858 and taught two terms. In 1864, he enlisted in Company H, but it was split up and he went into Company D, Thirty-eighth Infantry Volunteers; he was at Petersburg and the battles about Richmond. In 1865, he returned to his farm which he sold in 1867, and then emigrated to Kansas buying land near Godfrey, Bourbon County, but sold and located here January 7, 1868, and went into a planing mill which burned in 1876, August 11. In March, 1877, he opened a store where the mill stood before, on a piece of nine and a half acres that he had bought and laid off in lots in what is called Bell's Addition to the city of Fort Scott; he also opened a store on National avenue and conducts both with the help of his sons. In 1881, he took the National Hotel, but sold to C. L. Pate. In 1859 he married Miss N. L. Grooves, of Wisconsin; they have four children. He was in the City Council in 1878-79, belongs to the I. O. O. F.
GEN. CHARLES W. BLAIR, a citizen of Fort Scott since 1859, is a native of Georgetown, Brown Co., Ohio, where he was born February 5, 1829. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in his native county while a mere boy, and at the age of twenty-one was its Prosecuting Attorney. In 1851, he was elected Clerk of the Ohio House of Representatives, and during the same year as Captain of a Kentucky company raised for the purpose, he joined Gen. Lopez' expedition for the liberation of Cuba. On the 25th of December, 1858, he was married in Columbus, Ohio, to Katherine Medary, daughter of Hon. Samuel Medary, afterward Governor of Kansas. In June, 1859, he emigrated to Kansas, and in company with Hon. Andrew Ellison, his former law tutor, settled at Fort Scott, and entered upon the practice of his profession. He soon purchased property on the public square amounting to an entire block where he still resides. In politics, Gen. Blair is a Democrat, and during the war was a patriotic and efficient war Democrat. During the border troubles in Bourbon and Linn counties his influence was always on the side of order and justice, and at the breaking out of the rebellion he was one of the first to respond to the call for Kansas troops. His career as Lieutenant Colonel of the Second Kansas Infantry forms a part of the history of the regiment, one of which the State is proud. February 28, 1862, Col. Blair was made Major of the Second Kansas Cavalry; raised Blair's Battery, of which he remained in command about six months, and was then assigned to the command of the post of Fort Scott, and also of a subdistrict composed of all of Kansas south of the Kansas River and of the border counties of Missouri. September 26, 1863, he was made Lieutenant Colonel of the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry; was soon afterward promoted to Colonel of the same regiment, and did gallant service through the Price campaign of October, 1864. He was mustered out of service August 21, 1865, having been breveted Brigadier General prior to that time. He has filled with honor to himself and satisfaction of his constituents numerous important political offices. Is an eloquent and accomplished orator, and is a most able and influential attorney. His family consists of his wife and four daughters--Kittie, Birdie, Lillie and Josephine.
CAPT. EDWARD A. BLAKELEY came to Kansas in April, 1868, and was employed by C.
W. Goodlander as a carpenter for eighteen months succeeding his arrival. He
then had charge of teams for Mr. Clough (who was Street Commissioner) until
1873, when he became engaged in the transfer business for himself, in which he
has continued since. He was born in Syracuse, Onondaga Co., N. Y., December
24, 1840, and lived there until he came to Kansas with the exception of four
years' service in the Union Army. He enlisted as a private May 16, 1861, in
Company G, Eighty-first New York Volunteer Veteran Infantry, and served in the
Second Corps of the Army of the Potomac until September 16, 1865,
participating in all the battles of his command. He was fireman on the N. Y.
C. R. R. five years and engineer two and a half years on the same road after
the war until he came to Kansas. He is a merchant by trade; he was married at
Syracuse, N. Y., October 4, 1872, to
AMOS HERBERT BOURNE was born in Wallingford, Rutland Co., Vt., May 4, 1840, and at the age of thirteen was apprenticed to a manufacturer and dealer in paints in Boston, Mass., with whom he remained three years. In 1865, went to Chicago, Ill. In the fall of 1857, he came to Kansas stopping at Leavenworth awhile. He joined a Government surveying party for New Mexico and Arizona, and for nearly a year was employed in making military roads, fighting Apaches, etc., in what was then called Gaelsem purchase, now the southern part of Arizona. In the summer of 1858, in company with a young man by the name of Joseph Reed, and taking two mules left Fort Buchanan, ninety miles south of Tucson, A. T., for California. They lost their way on the desert, and in hunting for water were attacked by a band of Apache Indians; his companion was carried away into captivity; he saved himself by hiding in a hole in the rocks, where he remained nearly two days; crawling out he wandered three days and nights on the desert, and when nearly exhausted was picked up by the Pincos Indians, near their villages on the Gila River, being four days without food or water. He remained with the Pincos and Maricopas, who treated him very kindly, until recruited up, then went on to California, and eventually arrived at Los Angelos. sic The next seven years of his life he spent in California, Washington Territory, Oregon and Nevada, engaged most of the time in prospecting and mining; was one of the pioneers of Nevada, being in Virginia City before there was a house built, and one of the original owners of one of the best mines on the Comstock lode. In the spring of 1865, he left San Francisco for Wilmington, N. C., to buy turpentine for the California trade, loading a schooner in the Cape Fear River with that product, and in attempting to get out of Hatter's inlet was wrecked, and his fortune mixed with the salt waters of the Atlantic. From Wilmington he went to Florida, and eventually back to his old home in Vermont, where he married Lucinda Earle, daughter of Judge Roswell Earle, of Mount Holly, July 12, 1866. Owing to his wife's health, having consumption, went to Winona, Minn., and from there to Fort Scott, where he arrived in November, 1866. Soon after he discovered material for making umber and other mineral paints, and in extending his experiments with paints, discovered that the city of Fort Scott, rested on a foundation of hydraulic cement rock. In 1868, he got the Fort Scott Paint and Cement works in operation, which he operated as Superintendent until 1873. On July 12, 1871, his wife died, leaving one son, Arthur H., who is now being educated in Vermont. On June 9, 1873, he married his present wife, Mrs. Bertha E. Martin, widow of Capt. Leander Martin, killed in action at Bridgeport, Ala. Mrs. Martin was the daughter of Franklin Blake, who died in Leavenworth City in 1857; she was born in Greensboro, Vt., on May 28, 1840, and has been a resident of Kansas since 1857. In 1873, he started the cement pipe works, under the name of the Southwestern Cement Pipe Company, with branch works at Dallas, Tex., which started the Canon City Iron, Paint & Cement Company, at Canon City, Colo., of which he is still Superintendent, and the Bourne Paint & Tile Company, which is operated under patents obtained by him, and is preparing to work on an extensive scale, and to which he proposes to devote his time and abilities the balance of his days, believing it to be the best of all his enterprises, and Kansas the best State in the Union to live in.
J. M. BRIGHT established in 1867, a general dry goods business, the only exclusively dry goods house in the city at that time, the firm being Bright Brothers. Mr. Bright is a native of Liberty, Clay Co., Mo. He came to Fort Scott in 1867. Since he has been here, he was burned out twice and now occupies a store building 25 feet front and 115 deep, 2 floors and basement extending from Main street to Market street, being one of the handsomest store rooms in the city or State, and stocked with a class of goods, and patronized by a trade, of which cities of a much larger growth might well be proud. He was married to Miss Mary Kearns, of Fort Scott. They have three children.
S. S. BRINKERHOFF, County Attorney, was born near Auburn, N. Y., April 15,
1838, and removed to Plymouth, Huron Co., Ohio, with his parents when an
infant. He received his education at the Academy at Carlisle, and the Ohio
Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, and commenced the study of law at
Painesville, with Bissell & Tinker. He was mustered into the State Militia
IRA D. BRONSON came to Kansas in March, 1857, and located at Paris, Linn County. He remained there and in that vicinity until 1866; with the exception of the period during which he was in the army, was engaged in the lumber business. In May, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company F, Second Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was in all the engagements of his command, being present at the battles of Wilson's Creek, Prairie Grove, Old Fort Wayne and Cane Hill, and in many engagements in Missouri, Arkansas and the Indian Territory, and was mustered out of service in the fall of 1865, as Captain of Company I, Second Arkansas Volunteer Infantry, having also served as Captain of Company A, and commanding Fourth Arkansas Infantry Regiment. In March, 1866, he removed to Mound City, remaining there until August 1, 1870, when he came to Fort Scott, and accepted the position of Clerk of the District Court, a position he retained until January, 1881. He became connected with the St. Louis, Fort Scott, Wichita Railroad Company, February 23, 1880, in the capacity of Stockholder, Director, Secretary and Treasurer and Builder, a connection which continued until March 10, 1882. He has since been engaged in buying timber land in Oregon, Ozark, Douglas and Howell Counties, Mo., and in Fulton County Ark., and is also interested in the towns of Marmaton, Redfield, Bronson, Moran, La Harpe, Iola, Lilly and Toronto, Kan. Is a member of Gilfillan Flag Stone Company and St. Louis Flag Stone Company. He is a native of Warren, Herkimer Co., N. Y., born October 24, 1835. When nineteen years of age, he came to Illinois and taught school in Knox County, and near Antioch, Lake County. He was married in Antioch, Lake Co., Ill., June 11, 1867, to Miss Annie Webb, a native of that place. They have five children--Ira H., Lucy A., Charles W., Elizabeth and Anna J. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Knights Templar, the A. O. U. W. and the G. A. R.
HENRY BROWN, merchant tailor, came to Fort Scott in November, 1869, and was employed as a journeyman tailor for two years, since which he has been in business for himself. He employs six hands and does the leading merchant tailoring business in this locality. He was born in Yorkshire, near Hull, England, June 4, 1845, and came to America March 26, 1868. He resided in Cincinnati prior to his removal to Fort Scott. Mr. Brown was married near Lawrenceburgh, Dearborn Co., Ind., August 2, 1870, to Harriet E. Brumblay, a native of that county. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.
S. A. BURGE, farmer, Section 6. He is a native of Ashland Co., Ohio, and was born in 1847. As a foundation to start in life, he secured an education at Oberlin College in 1866, and at once entered commercial life as a clerk, but he was taken with the Western fever and came to Kansas in 1868, going to Baxter Springs, where his two comrades becoming discouraged went back East. He, in the meanwhile, was clerking for Robert Lytle, but was taken with the ague and gave up his position in the store; then engaging to drive mules he went to Fort Arbuckle in the Red River country; on coming back went into Mr. Lytle's store again. In 1869, he came to Fort Scott and went to work in Gardiner & Smith's dairy. He was so successful in this line, that in 1872 he rented the dairy and carried it on till 1875, in partnership; then taking the whole business in his own hands, he conducted it until he bought his farm on Sections 6 and 1 of 100 acres, keeping the dairy until 1882, when he sold out to L. D. Latham and now carries on a butter farm, having improved it. He has a fine building and five acres of orchard. In February, 1872, he married Miss Gardener, of Wisconsin. They have four children.