|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
FORT SCOTT, PART 3.
The first newspaper published at Fort Scott, and the first in Bourbon County, was that published in 1855, called the Southern Kansas. It was Democratic in politics, and was edited by a man named Kelley.
The publication of the Fort Scott Democrat was begun in the winter of 1857-58, by J. E. Jones, which he sold to E. K. Smith July 14, 1859. Smith established the Western Volunteer in the spring of 1862, which, in a few months afterward, was enlarged and the name changed to that of the Fort Scott Bulletin. Soon after this the paper was sold to Charles Hayward, and was consolidated with the Monitor in 1863.
The Monitor was established at Marmaton by D. B. Emmert July 15, In August, 1863, it was taken to Fort Scott and consolidated with the Bulletin, the name becoming the Union Monitor, published by Emmert & Hayward, D. B. Emmert, editor. In the fall of 1864, Hayward withdrew and Emmert became sole proprietor. The first issue of the Daily Monitor was made May 16, 1864, but which, after about eighteen months, was suspended. J. P. Taylor, for a part of this time, was interested in the paper. In 1865, the paper was owned by John Scott, who, on March 8, 1866, sold out to W. A. Cormany and Oscar Edwards and Emmert was editor up to the fall of this year at which time he was succeeded by W. C. Webb. From the time of the withdrawal of Webb, and until the spring of 1867, the editorial chair was filled respectively by Emmert, A. Danford, and W. J. Bawden. Following this S. A. Manlove became editor. During the latter part of 1867, J. W. Harris became interested in the proprietorship of the paper. Cormany sold his interest to Col. Hawley, in October, 1868, who, in a short time, sold out to the other members of the firm. In 1869, it was purchased by G. A. Crawford, by whom it was enlarged, and the large three-story brick building erected in which the paper has since been published. A job office and book bindery were also added at this time. When the railroad was built to Fort Scott, the daily, which had been suspended, was revived, and the Associated Press dispatches secured.
The paper was admitted to the Associated Press, August 4, 1869, and in
November following the revival of the daily took place. D. W. Wilder became
editor of the sheet January 1, 1871, which position he held for some time. In
October, 1873, B. J. Waters and W. C. Douthett bought the paper, and in July
of the next year, Flannery & Tice became members of the firm, from which
Waters retired in 1875, and in about the same time, Douthett sold out to J. B.
Campbell, and in about a year re-purchased the interest. In September, 1876,
the paper was bought by D. T. Elson and G. F. Darrow, who conducted it during
the Presidential campaign of that year. T. H. Anable purchased the
establishment January 7, 1877. Anable was connected with the M. R., Ft. S. &
The book bindery has been greatly enlarged, and is furnished with two ruling machines, one of which, a Hickock striker, has recently been added, costing $450, also a large lot of various other material has recently been added. All kinds of publication and blank-book binding are substantially and elegantly executed, upon which a force of seven experienced workmen are employed. A job office is also run, in which all kinds of job work is done, requiring a force of nine men. Four presses are used. Those are, a Potter Cylinder Power; a No. 7 Campbell Pony; a Cincinnati Nonpareil; and a one-half medium Gordon press. The machinery is run by steam power, which is soon to be replaced by a No. 5 Eysters' Water Motor.
The building used is a large brick, 25x110 feet, three stories high, including the basement. The basement story is occupied by the newspaper work, the first or ground floor by the office and job room, and the entire upper story by the book bindery.
The Fort Scott Evening Post was established in 1869, by E. Schiller, which he sold to W. Coffrey in the early part of 1870. It was first issued as a tri-weekly paper and then as a daily, having been admitted to the Associated Press. Soon after coming into the hands of Coffrey, the name became that of the Fort Scott Telegram, and was discontinued in the year following.
The Fort Scott Democrat was established in 1870, by the Goode Brothers. It was sold August 21, 1873, to J. W. Allen and W. F. Sargent, and the name of the sheet was changed to the Pioneer. Sargent became sole proprietor June 1, 1874. In the following December the office was burned and all consumed except the subscription and account books. This misfortune, however, did not discontinue the paper. In February, 1875, it was consolidated with the Border Sentinel, a paper that had been brought from Linn County by N. G. Barter during the previous year. The name of the new paper formed was the Sentinel and Pioneer. September 1, 1875, the firm became Sargent & Larkin, Barter having sold his interest to W. K. Larkin, and the paper was published under the name of the Herald. U. F. sic Sargent, who from the first had been editor of the paper, also became its proprietor in March, 1877. The paper afterward came into the hands of D. E. Caldwell, and in February, 1882, it was purchased by Silas A. Day. Along with the weekly a daily issue, called the Evening Herald, was begun in June, 1882. In September of the same year, Day bought out the Republican Record which he consolidated with the Herald in a weekly edition called the Herald and Record, of which he is now editor and proprietor.
A paper called the Colored Citizen was started October 1, 1877, by Eagleson Brothers (colored men). It was suspended for a time, and again revived in March, 1878, and during the summer was taken to Topeka.
The Banner was established in October, 1882, by Joseph B. Chapman. The sheet is a five-column quarto in size, and is strongly Democratic in sentiment. Although the paper was established but recently, it enjoys the encouragement of a liberal patronage.
Fort Scott Lodge, No. 22, I. O. O. F., was instituted July 1, 1866, with the following charter members: Joseph Oakley, William Males, S. A. Williams, D. B. Emert sic and T. W. Tallman. A handsome lodge building was erected in 1881. It is a three-story brick building, one hundred and twenty feet long by twenty-five wide. The lodge-room, which is in the third story, is sixty feet long by twenty-five wide and is handsomely carpeted and furnished. The ante-room is thirty feet long by ten wide, to which adjoins a preparation room containing six wardrobes for the various societies which hold meetings in this hall. To the rear of these is an elegantly furnished parlor thirty by twenty-five feet. The membership is 122, and the present officers are: John Bruney, Noble Grand; A. Graff, Secretary; M. Rothschilds, Treasurer; J. Henvey, Vice Grand.
Rising Star Encampment, No. 7, I. O. O. F., was instituted April 27, 1868; Augustus Graff, C. A. Morris, C. C. Jerrel, G. W. Jones, G. W. Webb, J. W. Morris and S. A. Williams were the charter members. The membership of the order at this time is forty-eight, and G. W. Katzun as Chief Patriarch; J. S. Bell, High Priest; ----- Warner, Junior Warden; J. Henvey, Senior Warden; A. Graff, Secretary; John Glimz, Treasurer, are the present officers.
Fort Scott Lodge, No. 25, A. O. U. W., was instituted November 23, 1879. J. H. Bowen was Past Master Workman; G. W. Katzun, Master Workman; J. M. Lea, H. W. Pond, Overseers; R. I. Pearson, Recorder; D. A. Williams, Financier; R. Stalker, Receiver. The present officers are: W. M. Dillard, Past Master Workman; Charles W. Green, Master Workman; J. M. Neuberry, Foreman; L. H. Seely, Overseer; D. M. Limbocker, Recorder; G. W. Katzun, Financier; J. H. Brown, Receiver. The lodge has a membership of fifty-one, and meets in the Odd Fellows Hall.
Osage Tribe, No. 1, of the Great Council of the United States of the Improved Order of Red Men, was instituted on the 12th Sun of the Corn Moon, G. C. D. 381, or the 12th of September, 1873. The charter members were: L. M. Havens, H. K. Bates, B. S. Mallory, J. W. Johnston, W. L. Winter, J. D. Rush, W. R. Reid, A. W. Gifford, E. S. Ware, J. R. Williams, W. C. Ware, C. H. Graen, J. H. Liepman and J. B. Bayliss. The order meets in the Odd Fellows hall and has a membership of forty. The present officers of the lodge are: John Gluntz, Sachem; F. Towner, Senior Sagamore; William Patterson, Secretary; C. Loucks, Prophet; M. Hiney, Keeper of Wampum.
Mystic Lodge No. 17, Knights of Pythias, was instituted April 13, 1876, with fifteen charter members, namely: A. Leck, H. E. Potter, B. Neubauer, M. Cohen, J. W. Allen, H. Wolf, E. L. Kohn, M. Crocker, H. Valker, H. R. Perkins, L. M. Havens, T. S. Clark, E. Schott, M. Rothschilds and D. T. Hiatt. The present membership is forty-five, and the officers are: J. Neuberry, Chancellor Commander; J. A. Bryant, Vice Commander; C. A. Benham, Prelate; L. M. Haven, sic Grand Prelate.
Endowment Rank No. 60, was instituted December 27, 1877, with A. Leck, C. J. Neal, H. C. Loucks, J. Smith, B. Neubauer, F. W. Wisbach, A. Keys, H. Neubauer, C. A. Benham, T. S. Clark, charter members. C. Loucks is now President of the society.
Fort Scott Lodge, No. 2,122, was instituted April 19, 1880, with a
membership of twenty-one.
Bourbon Lodge No. 19, Select Knights of the A. O. U. W., was instituted October 24, 1882, with twenty charter members. The first officers were: H. W. Pont, Commander; E. A. Blakeley, Vice Commander; J. Conine, Lieutenant Commander; G. W. Katzung, sic Recorder; Charles Graen, Receiver.
Blue Lodge, Rising Sun, No. 81. Officers: S. Dickerson, W. M.; B. E. Langdon, S. W.; P. Dalrymple, Jr. W.; M. Liepman, Treasurer; L. M. Havens, Secretary; E. P. Tresslar, Sr. Deacon; William Armstrong, Jr. Deacon; S. B. Gardner, Sr. S.; J. B. Trinder, Jr. S.; H. R. Perkins, Tiler.
The object of the association is to minister to the wants of the destitute and poor, to relieve the suffering and assist the helpless. Its mission is purely charitable, and is laudable in character. Much relief has been given not only to the poor of the city, but also to sufferers in the yellow fever districts of the South during its ravages.
BUSINESS INTERESTS AND MANUFACTURES.
First National Bank of Fort Scott.--This bank was organized January 10, 1871. Its officers were B. P. McDonald, President; C. F. Drake, Vice President; L. C. Nelson, Cashier; C. H. Osbun, Assistant Cashier. Its capital stock was $50,000. In 1873, the was increased to $100,000, but a few years later it was reduced to the original sum. The present paid up capital and surplus is $75,000, and the authorized capital is $300,000.
Prior to the organization of the First National Bank, B. P. McDonald had been engaged in private banking, having commenced in 1859, under the firm of A. McDonald & Brother. After a period of a few years, B. P. McDonald became sole proprietor of and continued the business until the organization of the First National Bank.
Planing Mill started in the fall of 1876, by S. S. Peterson and J. H. Gardner. The concern was begun as a sash and door factory, and the light machinery used was run by tread power. As the business gradually increased other machinery was added and horse power was employed. In 1880, a four-horse power engine was procured, and in about eighteen months following a ten-horse power engine was put in. Several machines are employed, and all sorts of job wood work is done. The principal business is the manufacture of sash, doors, blinds, stair railings, mouldings, etc. About 10,000 feet of lumber is consumed monthly, and employment is given to a force of eight men.
The Fort Scott Brewery was started in 1865, by a A. Butler, in the manufacture of beer, but which, under the temperance laws of the State, was forced to suspend operations. A part of the establishment is used by C. Herring in the manufacture of soda and mineral waters. This enterprise was begun in 1880, and at present make about three hundred gallons of these waters per day.
The Acorn Flour Mills were started in January, 1882, by D. W. and R. L. Milligan. The mill building is a two-story frame. Four run of stone are employed, with a capacity for grinding 150 bushels of wheat and 200 of corn per day. The machinery of the mill is run by a forty-horse power engine.
The City Brewery was established in 1869, by F. Schultz and C. Smith. It was first started on a small scale, and was gradually enlarged to a capacity for the manufacture of 5,000 barrels of beer per year. The prohibitory law taking effect compelled a suspension of the business, and the buildings representing large investments by the owner are comparatively valueless, on account of not being allowed to run in the business for which they were constructed.
The Fort Scott Woolen Mills were established in the spring of 1873, by A. Polsgrove & Son. The object of the mills is the manufacture of hosiery. At first it was begun in a small way, and during the first year only twenty-five pair of hose were made. The increase and enlargement of the establishment has been remarkable, showing the demand for work of this kind. This year there was manufactured 4,000 dozen pair of hose, of men, women and children's wear. At first only one knitting machine was employed, now there are fourteen. The mill works consist of one set of twenty-four inch machinery besides the knitters, and is run by a combination of steam and wind-mill power. The building is a one-story stone, eighty-seven feet long by thirty-six wide, with engine house, knitting apartments and other outbuildings, and was erected in the fall of 1879. Besides the supply of a large trade in Kansas, there is a pressing demand for the goods manufactured, in Denver, Leadville, and other cities in Colorado--and the orders are far ahead of the capacity to supply. The production amounts to about twenty dozen pair of hose per day, requiring a force of twenty-two hands. The design is to speedily enlarge the factory, not only to equal the already large demand but to satisfy further extended trade.
Castor Oil Mill.--The manufacture of castor oil was begun by H. Mahew & Son (colored) in 1873. A horse-power press is used and the manufacture of oil amounts to about eighty gallons per day, for which a market is found in Kansas City, St. Louis and Texas.
The Excelsior Mills, for the manufacture of flour, were started in June, 1871, by E. A. Deland and F. C. Bacon. It was the intention of the firm to establish a foundry, and for this purpose most of the machinery was purchased. The idea was abandoned before anything further was done, and the idea of building a flour mill conceived. Work upon this enterprise was at once begun, and before the end of 1871, a large mill was completed, at a cost of about $40,000. The main building is three and a half stories high, 40 by 36 feet, with an engine house 24 by 36 feet, and an office 16 by 20 feet. The machinery is of the most approved patterns, and complete in every detail, and is run by a forty-horse power engine. The mill has a capacity for the manufacture of about three hundred barrels of flour per day, for which a market is found in Kansas, Texas, Colorado and other points.
The Fort Scott Foundry and Machine Shops began operations in the fall of 1869--George A. Crawford, proprietor, who carried on the business until 1874. Mr. Frank J. Nutz became Superintendent in 1871, and one of the proprietors in 1874; Charles F. Drake became proprietor in June, 1875, Mr. Nutz remaining as Superintendent since that time. The establishment now employs about one hundred men, and manufactures boilers, engines and improved machinery of all kinds.
The Goodlander Flouring Mill was built by C. W. Goodlander in 1872, its capacity then being about one hundred and twenty-five barrels per day. It was run under the firm name of Goodlander, Currie & Co. for about three years, and then by Mr. Goodlander alone until the explosion in January, 1876. The mill then passed into the possession of the First National Bank. It is now run by the Goodlander Mill & Flouring Co., which was organized in 1880.
The Foundry and Sickle Factory was started by John E. Petty with one assistant in 1880. They manufacture ploughs, sickles, sickle-grinders, harrows, scrapers, spring wagons, cultivators, shovels, single-trees, neck yokes, shovel ploughs, the "Little Monarch" sickle grinder, and have a foundry connected with the manufactory where they do all kinds of light casting. They give employment to sixteen men, the business having now increased to seven times what it was originally.
The Fort Scott Nursery was started by Shinn & Sons, one mile north of Fort Scott in the fall of 1867, in a very small way. They now do a business of about $30,000 per annum in nursery stock sales, and their fruit sales amount to from $5,000 to $10,000 yearly. They have 270 acres of ground, most of it being in nursery stock and orchard. They ordinarily give employment to about 30 hands, and during the packing season employ about 50. Sales principally in Missouri and Texas. They ship most of their apples to Texas. At the fair at Lawrence two years ago, they took three premiums--taking the third prize for orchard produce.
The York Nursery Company, with home nursery at Fort Scott, and branches at Denton, Texas, and Parsons, Kan., keep a full line of all kinds of nursery stock adapted to the new West. The officers of the company are: J. H. York, President; G. C. Kennedy, Secretary; U. B. Pearsall, Treasurer, and J. F. Willett, General Manager.
Besides the manufactories already mentioned, there are several others of lesser magnitude and importance, yet which in their way contribute to the wealth and influence of Fort Scott as a manufacturing city. These are a baking powder, broom, brick, candy, cracker and tobacco manufactory.
WATER AND GAS WORKS.
The Fort Scott Water Company became organized and incorporated June 5, 1882. The enterprise was carried out by P. B. Perkins, of Geneseo, Ill., who succeeded in entering into a contract with the city of Fort Scott, whereby upon certain terms and conditions he was to supply the city with water. A company called the Fort Scott Water Company was then formed among a number of the citizens of the city. The number of directors is seven, and the term of the existence of the corporation is ninety-nine years.
At a meeting of the Board of Directors held April 7, 1882, C. F. Drake was elected President; B. E. Langdon, Vice President; F. N. Manlove, Secretary; Charles Nelson, Treasurer; and P. B. Perkins, Engineer. The capital stock of the corporation is $100,000, divided into 1,000 shares of $100 each.
The rights, franchise and contract held by Perkins from the city, were purchased by the company, for which they paid $23,399, by which the company became entitled to and possessed of all and every the powers, rights, privileges and franchises owned and possessed by Perkins relative to the construction and operation of water works for the city and as stipulated in Ordinance 370 of the City Ordinances of Fort Scott, for the construction of the works, the company issued of its bonds to the amount of $50,000.
The Perkins' system of water works is used. This system operates upon the gravity principle by means of an elevated reservoir and tower. The earth reservoir having a storage capacity of two million gallons of water, is constructed upon an elevation of about seventy-five feet above the city, by which water can be raised at least twenty feet above the highest building. A tower of masonry is built to an altitude of fifty feet above the earth reservoir, making it about 115 feet above the city. Upon this tower is a large iron reservoir, from which, by the gravity pressure, four streams can be raised to the height of eighty or ninety feet. This is what is termed the fire pressure and is so combined with the main pipes leading from the reservoir, by valves, that the additional pressure can be applied to the entire pipe distribution in less than one minute, in case of fire. The pumping machinery consists of two sets of the Perkins and Smith and Vaile & Co. pumping engines, having a capacity and capability for elevating 1,500,000 gallons of water each day to a height of 185 feet. The water supply is taken from the Marmaton River from a well sunk down beneath the sand and gravel in the bed, and extending entirely across the stream. This well is walled up with masonry and covered with sand, gravel, etc., by means of which water is accumulated and perfect drainage is secured.
The pumping house is of stone masonry and has a brick smoke stack fifty feet high. A residence near the reservoir is also constructed for the engineer, and is a stone structure containing six rooms. About eight and three-quarter miles of distributing pipe are already laid leading to all parts of the city, and about $86,000 have already been expended upon the construction of the works.
The Fort Scott Gas Works were built in 1871--finished October 8--by Mr. Buckner, J. H. Ambrose, now of Jefferson City, and Charles Boyle, now residing near Fort Benton. The works then used one bench of three retorts, and one furnace, making from 10,000 to 15,000 feet of gas per day. Their present capacity is 40,000 to 50,000 per day--three benches. Cost about $45,000. Mr. Buckner died a few weeks after the works were opened, but his widow retained his interest, Mr. Peak becoming President of the Company at the death of Mr. Buckner. Soon after the construction of the works, they were bonded for $25,000--J. M. Nelson of Boonville, Mo., getting possession of the bonds, and at their maturity, about five years later, of the works themselves. In the fall of 1877, he leased the works to J. W. Pinkston, and January 1, 1882, L. K. Schofield bought the lease of Pinkston and leased the works from Nelson for six years, with contract for purchasing.
The Fort Scott Driving Association.--The objects for which this corporation was organized were the improvement of the breed and development of horses, through the promotion of the interests of the American trotting turf; the prevention and punishment of frauds thereon, and uniformity in the government of trotting and pacing, also the maintenance of a park and a club for social enjoyment. The association was organized December 14, 1881, authorized capital $5,000--$1,000 paid in. The incorporators were O. A. Cheney, N. C. Perry, C. H. Osburn, W. H. Robertson, H. G. Herrick and C. H. Morley.