|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FERREE - HENRY).
FRANCIS FERREE, farmer, Section 23. He is a native of Clinton County, Penn., and there learned his trade, "plastering," at which he has worked in connection with farming ever since. In 1838, he moved to Quincy, Ill., where he went to farming and there met his wife in 1855, Miss Sarah A. Ogle, of St. Clair County, Ill. She comes of Kentucky blood, her grandfather moving from there to Illinois with a part of his slaves, set them free in Illinois; and in early times her father came near losing his life while on a load of hay on the road going to Belleville, the county seat, being shot at by the Indians. She is some relation to the Oglebys of that section. Her folks still live there. In 1860, he moved to Kansas, locating on Section 24, and remained till the war troubles drove him away. He went back to Quincy, Ill., in 1861, passing through many perils and returning after the war, he lived in Fort Scott from 1868 to 1876, when he returned to the farm. They have a family of five, one deceased. Two of these children were twins, John W. and Benjamin F. Mr. Ferree is a Republican in politics and has held some township offices. The twins weighed at their birth, respectively, two and a half and three pounds.
BENJAMIN FILES came to Kansas in March, 1859, and went to Colorado and Texas the same year, returning and locating permanently in Fort Scott, November 8, 1862. He has been engaged in the livery business in his present location since that time. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and was Alderman of the Second Ward, one term, also City Marshal one term. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, December 27, 1837, and lived in that State, Canada and Michigan until he came to Kansas. He was married in Fort Scott on November 12, 1868, to Mary Watson. She is a native of New York, and her parents were early settlers at Fort Scott, having come there in 1859. They have one child, Cora.
PROFESSOR H. FRANKENBURGER, County Superintendent of Public Instruction, came to Kansas in April, 1870, and located at Fort Scott, engaging in the business of contracting and building for about eighteen months. He then taught in the district schools of the county for one year, and was then, until 1880, Principal of the East Fort Scott School, holding during this time the office of Clerk of the Board of Education. In 1880, he was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction. He was born in Leesburg, Mercer Co., Penn., June 7, 1839, and lived there until 1844, when he went to Lawrence County, Penn., making that his home until 1855, graduating in the meantime at the Mahoning Valley Academy. He then went to Wisconsin and located in Green County, near Monroe, residing there until he came to Kansas. He was married to Ann Groves August 21, 1857. They have six children--Clara Irene, Henry Grant, Lewis Smith, John Martin, Frank Rawlin and Mamie Tot. Mr. Frankenburger enlisted August 2, 1864, in Company D, Thirty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, as a private, and served until the close of the war. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and I. O. O. F. In the fall of 1882, he was re-elected to the office of County Superintendent and also Q. M. of W. H. Lytle Post, No. 32, Grand Army of the Republic.
THOMAS GALLAGHER, proprietor of the East Wall Street House, is a native of Lycoming County, Penn.; was born in 1806. In that pastoral State it was not astonishing that he should have been raised on a farm. The old State was new at that time, as Mr. G. can remember some things of the Revolutionary times; though loving the old place, he concluded to go West for his health; so, in 1860, he moved to Freeport, Ill., staying there till he came to Fort Scott, or more properly speaking, to his farm in Bourbon County, where he lived till 1878, where he opened his boarding house. He has been married twice, once in 1833, and last time to Miss Isabella F. Grier, of Pennsylvania, in 1858. Her father was a Presbyterian minister, and remained in one church fifty-three years. Mr. Thomas Gallagher has been a member of the same church for fifty years; his wife, for forty; by his last marriage he has but one child--Miss Lizzie Bell; by the first marriage, John C. William, who died in the army, Harry, Clay and Philip M., a civil engineer, now in Montana, besides two daughters married in Pennsylvania. William Gallagher, a nephew, came to Kansas in 1859; he is now living in Independence.
MRS. J. M. GALLOWAY, teacher in Room 7, Central School, is a native of Bridgeton, Cumberland Co., Penn. Her first school experience was the child school or kindergarten of an old lady that lived near, and when thirteen years of age was taken by the Rev. H. J. Vandyke, who prepared her for her profession. At the age of sixteen, she attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary at South Hadley, Mass. She graduated from here when twenty-one years of age, then, on going to Philadelphia, she took a full course of mathematics, and then went to St. Louis, where she graduated from the normal school and then taught as Principal in Stoddart's Addition. She had married Mr. John M. Galloway in 1869, and the next year came to Kansas and entered the professional field, teaching in the public school under Prof. McKinney, and afterward she opened a private school, where she taught her pupils the higher branches, fitting young men and ladies for the university. She numbers among her pupils many of the leading young business men of the city. She is now in Central School, Room No. 7. Mr. Galloway is a well-read first-class lawyer in every respect.
B. F. GARDINER, proprietor of the Fort Scott Cement Works, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 22, 1842. At the breaking-out of the civil war, he was in New Mexico, where, in April, 1861, he enlisted in the Seventh United States Infantry, was taken prisoner, parolled, and subsequently discharged. He re-enlisted in December, 1862, in the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered out in September, 1865, with the rank of First Lieutenant, and in command of Company D of that regiment. He was with the army of the Cumberland during most of his service, and was in all the engagements of his command. At the close of the war he returned to Cincinnati and was engaged in the lumber business; three years after which he returned to Mount Vernon, Ohio, where he was connected with the John Cooper Engine Manufacturing Company until 1876, when he entered the United States Internal Revenue Department as gauger and storekeeper until 1878, when he went to Carthage, Mo. In January of the following year, he went to Fort Scott and engaged in the manufacture of cement. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and the K. of P. and is at present a member of the School Board. He was married at Mount Vernon, Ohio, December 25, 1865, to Miss Ella M. Martin, a native of Mount Vernon. They have two children, Eda D. and Charles H.
E. N. GILFILLAN, of the Gilfillan Flag Stone Company, is a native of Mercer County, Penn.; was born in 1852, and received a mercantile education. Prior to this he lived on the farm, and here they opened up the quarry of flag stone that is now supplying vast quantities. He commenced his commercial experience with Bright Bros., staying some five years, and then going into Westervelt & Co.'s as clerk. In April, 1881, they formed a company and he gave his attention to the stone business. In 1872, he married Miss E. Lockwood, of Fort Scott. They have one babe and have lost one. Mr. Gilfillan belongs to the Knights of Honor.
JOHN GLUNZ, harness manufacturer and dealer in hides and leather, wholesale and retail, came to Kansas in 1862, and located at Leavenworth, where he was engaged in his present business until 1868, when he removed to Fort Scott. His business has increased from $7,000 to $80,000 per annum, and he employs thirteen hands. He has been Alderman of the First Ward several years, and is a member of the School Board; and is now serving his second year as Mayor of the city. He is Vice President of the First National Bank, one of the directors of the Fort Scott, Topeka & Lincoln Railroad, and member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Order of Red Men. Mr. Glunz was born in Prussia, October 7, 1842, and came to America in 1847 and located at Weston, Mo. That was his home until he went to St. Louis, eighteen months before coming to Kansas. He was married at Hermann, Mo., October 6, 1869, to Bertha Christel, a native of that place. They have six children--Julia, Hedwick, Bertha, John George, Leslie and Walter.
GEORGE W. GOODLANDER, architect and builder. He is a native of Northumberland County, Penn. Born February 24, 1840; arrived in Fort Scott December 13, 1864, and worked with C. W. Goodlander till 1870, at the carpenter trade, and married Miss Mead, of Fort Scott, in 1870. They have a family of two children. He then in partnership with A. McAllister worked at the trade till 1872, when he went into the business alone, having dissolved partnership; he has planned and built the following buildings since 1872: Built on the burnt district on Market Square, seven business houses, and the Rodecker & Co. Block; in 1873 the following in Oswego: a business block two stories high, and then built a business house for Raymond & Officer in Girard, Kan.; built residence for Charles Nelson in Fort Scott. George W. Goodlander constructed large brick barn for John Mead and business house on Main street for same party and A. A. Byington; architect for D. Prager's residence. Built Third Ward Schoolhouse; was architect for Drake's Block, also, for business house and residence for Col. Huntington; was architect and builder of the Odd Fellows Hall, built the Knox House and residence of John Gluntz; sic architect of J. Kirby's residence in the country, also, of Archy Thompson's. In the last year, has completed a mission school in Indian Territory for Creek Indians at a cost of $24,000, remodeled bank of Paul Thorton & Co., Nevada, Mo., business house for H. P. Hildebrand. In the meantime, he has had two shops burned, one in 1873 and one in 1874.
ELMER ELLSWORTH GOODLANDER was born in Fulton, Ill., July 24, 1861, and came to Kansas with his parents in 1863. He received his education in Baker University, Baldwin, Kansas, and at the Northwestern University of Evanston, Ill. He is a son of Samuel Goodlander.
SAMUEL OSBURN GOODLANDER established the first furniture in Southwestern Kansas at Fort Scott in 1863. He commenced business as a cabinet maker in a room 14x20 feet, doing all of his own work, making tables, coffins, etc., and doing a little painting, and in the fall of 1865 got a small stock on from Kansas City and Leavenworth. From this very small beginning his sales have increased to over $65,000 in 1881, and he now employs twenty-five men. They manufacture walnut beds, and tables of walnut and poplar. Mr. Goodlander is a member of the I. O. O. F., subordinate lodge and encampment, A. O. U. W., Board of Trade, and the Methodist Episcopal Church; was a member of the School Board for four years. He was born in Milton, Northumberland County, Penn., December 31, 1835. He learned his trade and lived in Pennsylvania until about 1856, when he went to Fulton, making that his home until he came to Kansas. He was married at Lewisburg, Penn., in September, 1859, to Sarah Catherine Price, a native of that city. They have three children--Ella Etta, Elmer Ellsworth and Charles Wesley.
JACOB GOTTLIEB, grocer, came to Kansas in 1870, and has been engaged in the live-stock business since that time, his business now amounting to from $10,000 to $15,000 per month. He has also been engaged in the grocery business since September, 1881, in partnership with Charles Love. Mr. Gottlieb was born in Prussia in June, 1841, and came to America in 1858, and located in Saline County, Mo., where he was engaged in the live-stock business and general merchandise at Brownsville until he came to Kansas. He was then in the merchandise business at Baxter Springs for one year, and at Pleasanton for the same length of time. He was married in Fort Scott in March, 1873, to Ida Thaus, a native of Wisconsin. They have five children--Herman, Jessie, Elm, Blanche and Fred. Mr. Gottlieb is a member of the "Briar Brith" of Sedalia.
AUGUSTUS GRAFF, insurance agent, came to Fort Scott September 1, 1866, and engaged in merchant tailoring until November 1, 1881, when he entered the insurance business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of H., and has been a member of the School Board for several years. He was born in Frankenhausen, Schwarzburg, Rudolstadt, Germany, September 24, 1830, and came to America in 1849, and located at Buffalo, N. Y. After stopping there nine months he went to Waukegan, and fifteen years later to Jacksonville, which was his home until he came to Fort Scott; he was married at Waukegan, Ill., in May, 1853, to Mary A. Zimmerman. She died in 1879, leaving four children--Emma M., Fannie M., Ida and Edwin F. He was married to his present wife, Hattie Harbin, November 11, 1881. She is a native of Missouri, but was reared in Kansas. Her father, John Harbin, first came to Kansas in 1855, and removed to Fort Scott in 1857. He was killed near Baxter Springs while serving in the Union army during the late war.
C. W. GRAEN, wholesale and retail druggist, commenced the drug business in Fort Scott in 1868, and was in partnership with Jacob Rush until 1874. The firm has since been C. W. Graen & Co., his present partner being E. Lowe. Mr. Graen is a native of Prussia, and came to America in 1856, residing two years subsequent to his arrival in Indiana, and then in Illinois. He enlisted at Bloomington, in April, 1861, in the Thirty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and after serving in that regiment fourteen months, joined the Third Kentucky Cavalry and served in that regiment until the close of the war. After leaving the army he was employed in the construction of the U. P. R. R. in Utah, until he came to Kansas; he is a member of the A., F. & A. M., A. O. U. W., Red Men and the G. A. R. Mr. Graen was married in Fort Scott July 1, 1872, to Ida, daughter of Hon. D. P. Lowe, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. They have two children--Hazel Maud and Percey Edon.
E. GRANT, superintendent for Keith & Perry, coal mines, Scammonville, Cherokee County, was born in Oxford County, Maine, August 6, 1836; was raised on a farm and received a common school education; learned the carpenter's trade and followed it ten years in Wisconsin; was in the army three years; came to Kansas in 1869; stopped at Fort Scott and began coal operations. Had charge of the old Fort Scott Mining Company, getting there before the railroad was built. Mr. Grant was married to Miss Bertha Nydick, of Wisconsin, in 1860. They have five children--Ivan, Fred, Lillie, Nellie and Perry.
REV. ELIHU GUNN, D. D., pastor of the first Baptist Church of Fort Scott, was born at Montague, Mass., January 3, 1818, and is a son of Elihu P. Gunn, a farmer and native of that place, his ancestors being among its earliest settlers. Samuel Gunn, earliest known ancestor, lived in Sunderland, Mass., one of the original forty proprietors of the town; date of death unknown. Nathaniel Gunn, son of the above, was born at Hatfield, Mass., August 1, 1693, died in Montague, November 29, 1779, aged eighty-six; married four wives, named respectively, Dickinson, Belden, Ballard and Wells. Nathaniel Gunn, son of above, born in Montague, Mass., February 4, 1726, died in Montague, April 22, 1807, aged eighty-one. Dorothy Marsh, his wife, died July 13, 1805. Elihu Gunn, son of above, born November 10, 1765; died April 27, 1851. Elihu P. Gunn, born December 18, 1792. Elihu Gunn, the subject of this sketch, was educated at Franklin Academy, Mass., and at Madison University, N. Y., graduating from the literary department of that institution in 1847, and afterward taking a full theological course from which he graduated in 1849. He was ordained in 1849, and stationed at Keokuk, Iowa, for eight years, and was afterward President of the Central University at Pella, Iowa, for five years; he was then pastor of the Baptist Church at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, for nine years, and came to Atchison in 1870. He was there pastor of Baptist Church for three years, and subsequently resided at Lawrence for four years before coming to Fort Scott, holding the office of General Superintendent of home missions for Kansas during that period. He was married at North Granville, Washington Co., N. Y., in August, 1849, to Amy Barrett, a native of Vermont. They have five children--Charles E., a merchant and Postmaster at Calhoun, Mo.; Amy A., now Mrs. G. S. Warn of Fort Scott; William C., Edward L., and Abbie F., now Mrs. W. H. Baker of Fort Scott. Mr. Gunn had the degree of D. D. bestowed upon him in 1880, by the institution of which he was formerly President in Iowa.
E. J. HALL, specialist in native wood works, shop on corner Main and Burch, came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Fort Scott where his first work was done in a foundry, but on the 4th of July he took his first job on Mr. Potter's house, and then a house for Mr. Sinzc, also the Centreville Church. Being a superior mechanic, he confines himself to the finer quality of work. He has done some very fine finishing and ornamental work for many parties in Fort Scott. In 1880, he moved his shop or place of business from Locust street to his present stand; he is now finishing two parlors in black walnut for C. H. Morley; Mrs. Dr. Hall is a graduate of the female medical college of Philadelphia, Penn., and has been practicing since 1871.
S. E. HALL, engineer on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, is a native of the State of Illinois, Putnam County; was raised in La Salle and Bureau Counties. They then moved to Iowa and from there S. E. went to work in the yard of Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. For Charles H. Littleton he has been working since commencing in 1862, and going to Hannibal he ran an engine on the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad, where he worked a number of years; then taking the Chicago & Kansas City Express, and for a while he ran an engine on Iron Mountain Railroad, Missouri, when he came to Fort Scott in 1879; and worked on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, running below Fort Scott most of the time. His father was a native of Virginia. G. B. Hall, his grandfather, was in the war of 1812, and his great-grandfather was in the Revolutionary War. The noted massacre by the Indians of the Hall family which took place in Illinois, near where Ottawa now stands, is a matter of history. From this terrible scene his father and uncle escaped. His experience in engineering is not unmixed with danger, as he has turned over with the engine three times, and jumped from the engine seven times; his right ankle joint being the only sound one about him. In 1861, he married Miss Shepard of Kentucky, and they have a family of three children--Minetta, Lena E., and Harry E., who has taken the premium as the finest baby at the Brookfield, Mo., fair; his brother Clinton Hall was killed while serving under Sherman; William J., Ezra M. and Leonard Hall are in California, while his sister, Mrs. Tucker, lives near the scene of the massacre in Illinois.
A. A. HARRIS was born in Simpson County, Ky., January 16, 1838, of Scotch-Irish parentage. Was brought upon on a farm, receiving but a limited education; served in Morgan's Cavalry of the Confederate army, from 1861 to the surrender. Settled at Lebanon, Tenn., and commenced the practice of law in September, 1865. Married Miss Belle Evans, daughter of R. J. Evans, Esq., a prominent and highly respected citizen of Lebanon, May 29, 1866. Removed to Fort Scott, April, 1871, since which time he has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession, having now a large and lucrative business. Mr. Harris stands very high as a lawyer, and is especially distinguished as an advocate. He mingles but little in politics, although he was an Elector-at-large, on the Democratic Presidential ticket in 1880.
S. D. HART, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Fort Scott, is a native of Allegheny County, Penn., born January 17, 1833. In 1852, with his parents, he moved to Washington County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming until 1857, when he went to Iowa, from there to Mississippi, locating in Southwestern Missouri, and went into the nursery business in Dade County. In 1860, he sold fruit trees all through this part of Kansas, but went into the pump business in Illinois in 1863, and returned to Kansas, and when they were burned out he and his brother brought the remnant of their nursery stock to Bourbon County in 1864, carried on business until 1867, when he sold, and has since carried on a stock and grain farm, having an improved place with fine orchard. Mr. Hart married Miss Kern in 1869. They have four boys and four girls. He has received from the hands of the people an office of high trust, being elected as Representative on the Greenback ticket in 1874. His fortune has been checkered, however, for in 1879 he lost most all he had by fire. Mr. Hart has always been an active worker in building up the public schools of the state, and is a member of the Christian Church.
BENJAMIN HARTLEY, rector of the Episcopal Church, was born in Scotland, September 9, 1837. In early life his tastes as an artist were developed, and he attended the Royal Scottish Art School of Edinburgh; while educating himself in this way he also became a printer, thus gaining the wherewith to pursue his chosen profession; after coming to America he concluded to enter the ministry, attending and graduating from Bexley Hall, the theological school of Kenyon College, the same seminary from which have graduated R. J. M. Kendrick, C. E. Butler and D. W. Coxe, all of these gentlemen having preceded Mr. Hartley in Fort Scott. In 1864, he left Gambler, Ohio, and went as a missionary to Liberia and the western coast of Africa. While here he met his wife, then Miss Griswold, of New York; on returning to the United States he preached in Brighton, Mass., then in Holliston, though suffering from African malaria; he also ministered to the souls' wants of congregations in Blossburg, Penn., then in Bridgeton, N. J., where he remained until 1879, when he was called to Fort Scott, Kan., succeeding Rev. Daniel W. Coxe in the charge. Mr. Hartley's parents were both of English birth; he has now a family of three children, two boys and one girl--Kenneth, Randolph S. and Carrie Griswold. Mrs. H. has written quite a number of books for the Sabbath school, and he continues his art and instructs in drawing and painting. He has quite a number of exquisite oil paintings in his studio.
M. D. HARTMAN, ice dealer, was born in Lycoming County, Penn., in 1840; his trade is that of the miller, having learned that in 1858; he worked in the mill till 1861, when he enlisted in the Eleventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Company C, and served till 1865; was mustered out in Madison; he then went back to Pennsylvania, where he engaged in canal boat running, but lost money at that, and came West; he intended settling in Missouri, but came to Fort Scott, Kan., in 1867, and bought an interest in a mill on the Marmaton River, with A. J. Evans, but in 1870 went to Marshall, Texas, and went into the ice business, shipping from St. Louis. He came back to Fort Scott in 1877, and built ice houses, and in 1881 built a fine residence on land on Section 31, Scott Township, where he lives attending to fruit growing and his ice business. In 1868 he married Miss Tincher of Fort Scott.
LUCAS M. HAVENS, Assistant Postmaster, was born in what is now Columbus, Ohio, March 8, 1836, and received his education at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio. He came to Kansas December 15, 1858, and located at Wyandotte, remaining there until October, 1861. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant of a company by Gov. Robinson in June, 1861, and was about to start for Kansas City to be sworn into the Second Kansas Regiment when he was disabled by the fall of a building in Wyandotte. Twenty-five of the company were injured in the same accident, most of them so severely as to be incapacitated for service. J. H. Harris was Captain of the company at the time. Lieut. Havens received injuries in his right wrist, and was badly crippled in his right leg, being still obliged to carry a cane in consequence of the accident. He returned to Columbus, Ohio, in October, 1861, and remained there until November 19, 1868. He then came to Fort Scott, and was employed in a banking house as book-keeper until January 1, 1869, and has since held his present position as Assistant Postmaster. He was married at Lafayette, Ind., February 3, 1857, to Ruth E. Van Fossen, a native of Homer, Mich. They have three children--Joseph D., Effie G. and John C.
CAPT. CHARLES H. HAYNES, merchant, came to Fort Scott April 1, 1857, and opened a lumber factory on Locust street, on the banks of "Buck Run," now the ravine between the Gulf Railroad and West Fort Scott. In 1858, he removed the mill to where Johnson's brick-yard is now situated, and continued in business there until April, 1861, when he entered the army. He enlisted in the Sixth Kansas Cavalry as Second Lieutenant, and in 1862 raised and was appointed Captain of Company B, Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry. In August, 1865, he was paid and discharged at Lawrence, and returned to Fort Scott, where he has since been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He is also considerably interested in farming, having farms both in Kansas and Missouri, and has represented the Second Ward in the Common Council. Capt. Haynes was born at Hoosack, N. Y., November 27, 1827. When eleven years of age, he removed with his parents to Fremont, Ohio, and that was his home until 1857. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Royal Arch Chapter, of the G. A. R., and of the Episcopal Church. He was married at Elyria, Lorain Co., Ohio, December 20, 1855, to Miss Jennie Hoyle, a native of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. They have two children living, Kate and Jennie, and lost three--a son and a daughter who died in infancy, and Blanche, who died when eighteen years of age.
J. J. HAZELTON, station baggage master for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, Fort Scott. A native of Licking County, Ohio. He was born in 1838. His early life was spent on a farm, there learning the carpenter's trade. He worked at that until 1862, when he enlisted in the Forty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Veteran, Company C, and was mustered out as a Second Lieutenant in 1865. Was wounded at the battle of Vicksburg and also at Jackson. He returned to Marshall Co., Ind., and work for T., P. W. R. R. and the I. B. W. R. R. at bridging work. Coming to Fort Scott in 1872, he went to work for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. Was on a switch engine awhile, then in the freight compartment and on the police force, and then in the baggage department. In 1880 he was appointed general baggage master. In 1860, he married Miss Lizzie Johnson, of Ohio. They have a family of four children, three boys and one girl. Two of his boys, U. G. and A. J. Hazelton, are working at the foundry. Mr. Hazelton belongs to the G. A. R.
MARTIN HEINE, SR., retired liquor dealer, was born in Baden, Germany, October 29, 1824. He learned shoemaking in the old country, and emigrated to America in 1847. When he arrived here he started on quite an extended tour from Wheeling, Va. He visited St. Louis, Mo., Burlington, Iowa, Memphis, Tenn., Hollow Springs, Miss., through Georgia to Charlestown, S. C., Richmond, Va., Washington, D. C., back to Wheeling, Va., where he in 1850 married Miss Magdalene Geist. In 1851, he moved to Wellsville, Ohio, then to Cleveland. He went back to Wheeling, but in 1854 we find him keeping a saloon and boarding house in Cleveland. He then moved to Canada, and at different places worked at his trade and saloon keeping and butchering. In 1857, he moved to Cleveland and then to Louisville, from there to Paducah, then on the Cumberland River to Cadiz, where he made in sixteen months $450. He then went to Elktown, Todd Co., Ky. This was in 1859. In 1863, he went to Henderson, on the Ohio River, to avoid the war trouble, but returned and stayed until 1869; he had visited Kansas in 1868, and selected Fort Scott as the finest location. Bought a lot on Scott avenue, 100x120 feet, and built in 1869 a residence that cost $2,800. He worked at his trade for a month, and then on the staff of the newspaper called the Post. He then went into the liquor business, until the prohibition law shut him up. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. and the Red Men, and to the Masonic fraternity in Kentucky. He has a daughter, Mary T., born in Fort Scott, September 6, 1869, and a son, Martin Heine, Jr., who keeps the new dining hall built by him in 1881. Martin, Jr., was born in 1851; has been a compositor and reporter in the Monitor News office. He was married in 1882. Mr. Heine is highly respected for the honesty and integrity which mark all his actions. He was born in Vorenbach, Baden, Germany, and came to Fort Scott in 1868. When he landed in New York, he had $320 in his pocket.
M. M. HELLMAN, wholesale and retail grocer, came to Fort Scott in December, 1866, and in February, 1867, opened a wholesale and retail grocery store, having for the first few years two partners in the business. Since 1872, he has carried on the business alone. In addition to his grocery business, he has a stock farm in Marmaton Township, which he gives his personal supervision. He was born in Bavaria, December 10, 1835, and came to America in 1852, and located in Peru, Ill., making that his home for two years. His home was then in California for twelve years, and subsequently at St. Louis, nearly a year before coming to Kansas. He was married in St. Louis in November, 1868, to Emily Lederman, a native of Baden, Germany. They have four children, Harry, Milton, Minnie and Rudolph. Mr. Hellman is Secretary and Treasurer of the Hebrew Relief Association.
WILLIAM R. HENRY, merchant, came to Fort Scott in February, 1871, but engaged in no active business for himself until 1874, when he entered upon the pursuit of agriculture. In the spring of 1876, he began to deal in agricultural implements, seeds, grain, wagons, buggies, etc., under the firm name of Henry & Boyce. This partnership continued for one year. He was then alone until 1880, when the present firm of William R. Henry & Co. was organized, composed of W. R. Henry and W. J. Robbins. They do almost exclusively a retail business; in January, 1882, D. M. McIntosh became a partner in the firm. Mr. Henry was born in Hartstown, Crawford Co., Penn., November 20, 1823, and lived there until about 1854, when he went to Rock Island, Ill. The following year he removed to Sioux City, where he remained until July, 1862. He then enlisted in Company E, Twenty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry, as first Lieutenant, and in the fall of the same year became Captain of the company, having had practical command from the first. He remained in the service about three years, then, in May, 1865, went to Shreveport, La., where he was engaged in mercantile business until 1867. He was then engaged in the real estate business in New Orleans for two years, and then removed to Monmouth, where he remained two years before coming to Fort Scott. He was married to his present wife, Sidney S. Meason at Uniontown, Penn., September 16, 1863. She is a native of Fayette County, Penn. They have one child--Mary M. Mr. Henry is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R.