|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HEPLER - LOTTERER).
BENJAMIN F. HEPLER, M. D., was born in Pennsylvania; emigrated to Missouri in the winter of 1858, and established himself as physician and surgeon at Nevada, Mo., remaining there during the beginning of the war, the hostilities of which were the mitigating cause of his removing to Fort Scott, in 1863, and opening a drug store. In 1864, he became assistant surgeon of the Twenty-fourth Kansas State Militia, Col. Isaac Stadden commanding, which was called into active service during the Price raid. The Doctor, possessing a social, enthusiastic spirit and genial nature was soon acknowledged a necessary acquisition in business relations. He not only assumed his professional duties, but identified himself with most of the public enterprises of the city, often receiving the seat of honor. The first feature seemed to be an educational demand, as no feasible Free School system had as yet been established; and in 1864, he, with others, organized a School Board, and eventually succeeded in maintaining literary advantages, and to-day he lives to see the public schools of Fort Scott "living monuments of honor." He has been ever since 1865 prominently connected with the various railroad interests of the State, being one of the originators, and always one of the directory of the railroad chartered as the Tebo & Neosho Railroad Company in the state of Missouri. The Nevada Times of Nevada, Mo., in one of its issues of 1869, in speaking of him in connection with this enterprise, calls him the "Headlight of the Road." In 1867, he got up a charter, and selected the charter members for the Missouri, Fort Scott & Santa Fe Railroad Company, with a view of ultimately merging the two roads into one, and to further this enterprise, a treaty was conceived and arranged with the Big and Little Osage tribes of Indians, which treaty was held in May and June of 1868, at the mouth of Drum Creek, on the Verdigris River, where the town of Independence, Montgomery County, now is; he, and others connected with the directory of the two railroads, met the Secretary of the Interior with their commissioners appointed by the President of the United States, at the time and place appointed to treat with the aforesaid tribes for a body of land involving 13,000,000 acres, then known as the "Osage Indian Reservation," to secure a landed franchise to build the two roads. In October, 1869, the Tebo & Neosho directory sold their franchises to the Land Grant Railway & Trust Company of New York City, Levi G. Parsons, President, R. S. Stevens, General Manager, and through whose management the road was built under the name of Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. He was also connected with the Memphis, Topeka & Fort Scott narrow gauge Railroad, organized in 1870, and the Laclede & Fort Scott, is still director in that road, also a member of the executive committee. He holds the position at the present time of assistant surgeon of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas, and the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf division, also chief surgeon of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad Company. The Bourbon County Agricultural, Horticultural and Mechanical Society, was organized in 1865, and in 1871 he was elected President of the society, and at the same time was made President of the Kansas & Missouri District Fair Association, organized in 1871. At an early day he became identified as one of the proprietors of the Fort Scott Paint and Cement Works, in the manufacturing of hydraulic cement, and in July, 1872, became general Superintendent, and sold out his interest in 1876. In 1871, he, with others, organized a Town Stock Company in Crawford County, twenty miles southwest on the line of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway, of which he was elected President, and in honor of its President they named the town "Hepler." He was one of the instigators and assisted in organizing the District Medical Society known as the Southeast Kansas District Medical Society in 1879, with G. R. Baldwin, M. D., President; F. F. Dickman, Secretary, and in 1880 he himself was elected President of this society, and in 1881 he became one of the proprietors of the Kansas Medical Index, F. F. Dickman, M. D., editor. For a series of years he did very little in a professional way, and in 1876 resumed the practice of medicine, since which time he has been very actively devoted to the interests of his profession, still holding some landed and mining interests in the suburbs of the city and adjoining counties. Thus we see in point of labor he has been one of the happy mediums through which the populace of the great State of Kansas have been able to prove by united efforts to their posterity the magnitude of advancement and improvement.
GEORGE HERMERLING, proprietor of the Cottage House, native of Louisville, Ky., born in 1843. His parents moved to Indiana in 1850, where they farmed. In 1861, he enlisted in the Fifty-ninth Indiana Infantry, Company G, serving till 1865; he then went to work for a bridge company, and finally came to Fort Scott, where he went into the yard for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, and worked for the company till 1880. In 1879, he started a private boarding house, and in 1880, the Spencer House, but was burned out, so he built the Cottage House, at the cost of $1,200, having fourteen rooms. In 1871, he married Miss Johnson, of Drywood. They have two children. Mr. Hermerling was with Sherman when he went to the sea.
T. L. HERBERT, paints, oils, glass and wall-paper, is a native of Toronto, Can., born in 1845. He learned the trade of painting in Canada, and in 1861 came to Buffalo, N. Y., and worked at his trade, where he staid sic till November, 1864, then coming to Fort Scott, Kan., in December of the same year, but when he arrived was obliged to camp on the other side of the River Marmaton, on account of the high water. On arriving in Fort Scott, he went to work for the Government, but was taken sick, and was laid up from December to March 15. He tried to get to Fort Gibson, but was compelled to come back. In March, he went to work again, and when the troops were withdrawn he opened a shop for himself in the same location that he now occupies, at that time, being an old building, which was removed when the present block was built. His business is steadily increasing, being the largest in the city in this line. In 1873, he added to his stock of paints and paper by buying of J. B. Campbell his trade in plate glass. Trade is largely increasing and profitable, having put in the following fronts: the National Bank, Boston Store, Rodecker & Co., besides decorating several other large buildings. In 1870, he was married, and is a member of the Episcopal Church.
J. D. HILL, Superintendent of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in A. D. 1837. He graduated at the Cincinnati Law School in April, A. D. 1861. Returning home, he immediately enlisted, and served with credit and distinction during the war. On returning to civil life, he went to Decatur, Ill., and commenced the practice of law, and succeeded in building up a large and successful business. In 1873, he came to Fort Scott, and formed a copartnership with Gen. C. W. Blair, and continued in the practice of his profession with marked success; was County Attorney of Bourbon County for one term. Was one of the founders of the Kansas Normal School at Fort Scott, which has taken high rank among the educational institutions of the State. In 1880, he, in connection with Francis Tiernan, Judge A. M. Ayers and Ira D. Bronson, procured a charter for the building of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad, and has been engaged in the building, construction and management of this road since that time. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic.
Z. A. HORNADAY, farmer, Section 16, native of Washington County, Ind.; born near Old Salem in 1832, 2d March. He was engaged in farming there until his health compelled him to abandon it, then going into the mercantile line, he followed it until he opened in the hotel business, and in 1876 came West to the State of Kansas. While in Indiana, at the beginning of the war, he had organized a military company, but his mother's sickness "which was her last," called him to her side, so he gave up the company. On leaving the State of Indiana, he traded his land there for the farm he now occupies, taking just one section, or 640 acres, in Bourbon County, which is well known as the "Pleasant Valley Farm," which he farms and uses as a cattle ranch, handling 150 to 200 head of cattle yearly, and fine wheat and corn crops on the cultivated land, having also in reserve some eighty acres of fine timber. Mr. Hornaday, in 1865, married Miss Jones. They have a family of four children, two girls and two boys. He is President of the Bourbon County Fair Association, and has been a Mason since 1863, having the degree of Scottish Knights. In 1880, he was elected County Commissioner.
GEORGE W. HOWE, came to Fort Scott in June, 1866, and was engaged in mercantile business until his store and stock were destroyed by fire April 23, 1873. In November of the same year he again started in business, and continued until the spring of 1875, when he engaged in farming on Section 6, Scott Township, about two miles south of the city, and west of the fair grounds. In September, 1880, he became salesman, stock-keeper and shipping-clerk for Isaac Stadded (sic), but still carries on his farm, raising principally fruit. Mr. Howe was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., August 12, 1836, and lived there until the winter of 1856, when he went to St. Louis. He there became connected with the steamboat service, as freight clerk, and continued on the river as pilot, until 1859. He was sworn into the United States service June 13, 1861, having enlisted in Company C, Eighth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and served until July, 1864, participating in all the engagements of his command. He has always been actively identified with the Republican party, and was Chairman of the Fort Scott Republican Central Committee, when he went on to his farm. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the A., F. & A. M., Rising Sun Lodge, No. 8.
B. HUDSON, City Superintendent of Schools, native of Madison County, Ind. He was born in 1850. He was raised on a farm, and attended district schools; he then attended the Northwestern Christian University of Indianapolis, now called Butler University; leaving there he went to Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College; he then taught, and afterward going to the National Normal, at Lebanon, Ohio. Then going to Illinois, he taught school, being Principal in the high school of Ramsey, then to Vandalia teaching. In 1874, went to the Indiana University, and in 1875, taught high school in Brazil, Ind. He then turned his attention to the law, commenced reading, and graduated from the Indiana University and settled in Marshfield, Mo., where he practiced until 1877, when he came to Fort Scott. From the age of thirteen to fifteen, he was a soldier in the Second Indiana Cavalry, and was promoted to Sergeant. Mr. Hudson is not married.
WILLIAM HUGHES, farmer, Section 6, Fort Scott, native of Wales, Great Britain, born in 1841, was raised a farmer and stock breeder, and in 1871 came to America and right out to Kansas, locating in Miami County; he then came to Bourbon County, and rented land till 1881, when he bought a farm near Fort Scott for the benefit of the fine schools of the city. He is now engaged in grain, fruit and stock farming, making most of his money from cattle. His crops are fine this year; his corn will average forty bushels to the acre; oats thirty bushels, and fruit and hay good. In 1867, he married Miss Eliza Hopkins. They have a family of six children. Mr. Hughes is a Republican, and belongs to the Congregational Church.
J. S. JOHNSON, brick manufacturer, is a native of Norwich, Connecticut, born in 1840. While in Norwich he learned bricklaying. In 1861, he went into the army, and when he returned he went into the armory; when he quit there he went to his trade, and moved to Cincinnati, Ohio. From there coming west to Leavenworth, Kan., and in 1870 came to Fort Scott, to work on the Catholic Church, and started a brick yard, manufacturing 10,000 daily, now increased to 15,000. He is not married.
ENOCH S. JONES, proprietor of the Tremont House, came to Fort Scott in November, 1880, and in the spring of 1881, founded the Tremont restaurant, conducting it in connection with the oyster trade, which he carried on quite extensively, until he opened the Tremont House June 1, 1882. The Tremont firm is Jones & Co. He was born in Stafford County, England May 1, 1854, and came to this country and settled in Pennsylvania when eight years of age. He resided in that State until 1869; then moved to Chicago, and was General Manager of the Chicago branch department of Midway Coal Co., coal miners of Pittsburgh, until the fall of 1874. He was in Alabama two years, in Texas one year, and in the Indian Territory nine months, and then returned to Chicago, and remained there a few months. Mr. Jones was married at Tuscaloosa, Ala., April 10, 1879, to Jean Watson, a native of Belleville, Ill. They have two children--Hugh and Robert. Mrs. Jones is of Scotch descent; her father was Colonel of the Twenty-second Illinois volunteers.
R. W. JORDAN, proprietor of Gulf Dining Hall, a native of Straffordshire, England, born in 1851. In 1874, he emigrated to America; though he had learned printing, was unable to follow it on account of his eye-sight failing. On landing at Ottawa, he went into the hotel there, and in 1876, visited the Centennial at Philadelphia; going from there to New York City, and then to Rochester, where he was employed in that palace of hotels, the Osborn House. From there, in the course of his travels, he visited Texas in 1877, came to Fort Scott, going at once into the Wilder House; next, here he opened what was called the London Coffee House, where he cleared $1,000 in sixteen months. He sold out and went to Missouri in the cattle business, but did not succeed, and so came back in 1881, and opened his present stand, and is doing a good business. In Chambersville, Mo., he married Miss Agnes Skelton, of Coventry, England. They have one little daughter.
MOSES KAISER, cigar manufacturer, came to Kansas in 1869, and located at Leavenworth. The following year he removed to Emporia, which was his home until he came to Fort Scott in 1872. He was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, in May, 1845, and came to America in 1856. His home was then at New York for twelve years. He was married at Fort Scott in January, 1875, to Bertha Daus, a native of Indiana. Mr. Kaiser is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
SIGMUND KAUFMANN, grocer, while on a visit in 1879, being impressed with the wonderful natural advantages of the State, and splendid opportunity for business enterprise, was induced to establish himself here. Mr. Kaufmann is a native of Rhenish, Bavaria, Germany, was born in 1848. When eighteen years old, he came to America, landing in New York; he went to New Orleans, La., and by boat to Shreveport. This was in the fall of 1866. Going into the general merchandise business, he clerked for N. Hirsch. After a period of four years he entered a general merchandise business with his father; the firm was M. M. Kaufmann & Sons, Shreveport, La. They did a very extensive business at this time. Sigmund was the buyer. He decided to locate in Kansas City, but on visiting Kansas he was convinced of the future of the State, and set his stake in Fort Scott to grow up with the country. So on the 29th of March, 1880, he commenced business in Fort Scott, carrying a full stock of groceries and queensware, and commands a steadily increasing trade. In 1877, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Henry Mayer, who is now residing in Paola, Miami County. Mr. and Mrs. Kaufmann have a family of two girls and one boy. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. besides belonging to some other societies.
GUSTAVUS W. KATZUNG, harness manufacturer, came to Fort Scott, December 26, 1873, and has been engaged in the hide, leather and harness business since that time, and in partnership with John Glunz since 1879. He was born in Hesse Cassel, Germany, February 16, 1838, and came to America with his parents, November 6, 1849, locating at St. Louis, May 22, 1851, and remaining there until January 2, 1863. He then removed to Leavenworth, Kan., and made that his home until 1869. His next location was at Lawrence, and he removed from there to St. Louis, making that his home until he removed to Fort Scott. He was married in St. Louis, March 16, 1862, to Mary Wolf, a native of Wurtemburg, Germany. They have four children--Lena, now Mrs. Charles Wagner, of Fort Scott, Charles, Edward and Lawrence. Mr. Katzung is a member of the I. O. O. F. Turners' Society, and A. O. U. W., being Grand Receiver of the latter society, of the state of Kansas and was elected a member of the Board of Education, in the spring of 1882.
JOHN KEARNS, capitalist, is a native of Fayette County, Penn., 1816; he was a farmer in early life in Knox County. He met his wife, Miss Bran, of Knox County. He quit farming finally and went into the grocery business, and afterward tried the dry goods line. In 1861, he took the Hedekin Hotel in Fort Wayne, which he conducted till 1871, when he moved West and went on a farm, but he sold and moved into the house he now occupies. His son, Eli received a commercial education, and his daughters graduated at Fort Wayne. They have lost one. Miss Sarah is now Mrs. Ogden, and Miss Mary B. is now Mrs. Bright. Mrs. Kearns is now the owner of two farms in Bourbon County.
I. V. B. KENNEDY, farmer, P. O. Godfrey, is a native of New York, and has been a railroad man, giving twenty-five years of life to that business. He commenced as switchman, and was afterward brakeman and conductor on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. He worked there for some seventeen years, and took the position of General Roadmaster of the Laramie Division of the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1880, he bought a farm on Section 26, intending to make a stock farm of it. He commenced with 30 cows and 15 calves, now having about 136 cattle, finishing about 30 head this year. He has his place nicely arranged and perfectly fenced and shedded. He now has 554 acres which is used for grazing and grain. He has also about 200 tons of hay, feeding some fodder. In 1862, he married Miss Mary Smith. They have three children. Mr. K. is School Treasurer, and is a member of the Masonic Order.
GEORGE C. KENNEDY, Secretary of the York Nursery Company, came to Kansas in March, 1871, and located at Fort Scott. He was engaged in teaching in the schools of Bourbon County for two years, and then in farming and stock raising until August, 1880, when he entered the York Nursery Company as Secretary, a position which he has since held. He was born at New Orleans, La., January 29, 1850, and that was his home until 1856, when he moved to Vevay, Ind., on the Ohio River, remaining there engaged in mercantile business until he came to Kansas.
O. S. KEYSER, Cashier of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, is a native of Livingston County, Ill., born in 1856. When nine years old, he came to Atchison, Kan. In 1866, moved to Bourbon County, and the next year to Neosho County, then going to work as an operator at Osage Mission, in 1872, where he remained until 1874, when he went to Appleton City in the employ of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, which is now known as the Missouri Pacific Railroad. He was assistant station agent until 1877, when he went to Clinton, Mo., as night operator, remaining only two months. He went to Muskogee; from there to Vinita, as operator, and was then appointed relief agent, with headquarters at Appleton City, where he remained until 1880; while in this capacity he worked in every station between Muskogee and Sedalia, but Parsons. In 1880, he went to Oswego as night ticket agent, coming to Fort Scott in May, 1880, where he is now stationed.
R. KRAMER, of R. Kramer & Sons, house and sign painters, is a native of the Rhine Province, Germany; born in 1834. He learned his trade before leaving Germany, also serving in the army during the year of 1861, 1864 and 1866. He came to America in 1872, with about $5 dollars in his pocket; he went at once to Cincinnati, Ohio, where his brother William lived; in the succeeding eight years he made $16,000 at his trade. At one time he ran the Park Hall, and when that lease gave out he opened a large billiard parlor in Newport, Ky.; thinking to do better he went to Texas and started at farming and cattle-raising, and lost all his money but $800; he then came to Fort Scott and went to work at his trade, where he has prospered, building a large residence in 1881, a shop and a barn, besides buying and improving some town lots. In Germany he married Miss Mary Hohn. They have one son--William, a partner of his father's, in painting.
W. H. LEWIS, agent for the Missouri Pacific Railroad, is a native of London, England; born in 1836, and came to New York in 1848. He commenced railroading twenty-seven years ago in Pana, Ill.; worked for the Illinois Central Railroad, and then the Illinois & St. Louis Railroad. He was for thirteen years station agent at Mattoon, Ill.; Superintendent of the Chicago & Illinois Southern Railroad five years; he was located for five months in Schenectady, N. Y., for the Delaware & Hudson Canal Railroad. On coming West to take the Leavenworth station, September, 1881, he was taken sick, and afterward sent to Muskogee, Indian Nation, and then took the Fort Scott station in 1881.
HON. J. M. LIMBOCKER, attorney, came to Fort Scott January 3, 1871. He received his legal education at the State University of Iowa, at Iowa City, receiving there the degree of L. L. D. He has been engaged in the practice of law at Fort Scott since he retired from the office of Probate Judge.
M. LIEPMAN, merchant, a native of the Prussian Province of Posen, was born June 12, 1841. He was educated in the mercantile business, and in 1860, he emigrated to New York. There, with $14, he became a pack peddlar, sic going through New York and New Jersey. About 1863, he was found working for $6 per month; to better himself he moved to Sedalia, Mo., and clerked for Steinberg & Rosenbaum, merchants, being paid $40 at first, and running up to $125 per month. He then went to Warrensburg, Mo., and established a branch house for the firm, and another at Pleasant Hill, Mo., finally at Lawrence. While at Warrensburg, he joined the State Militia, and was in Capt. Grover's company during Gen. Blount's raid against Price. In 1866, he arrived in Lawrence, Kan., and in March, 1867, came to Fort Scott, Kan., opening a huckster and tobacco shop, but this was for a few months only, when he bought in his present place, buying out Weil Bros., and going in partnership with Mr. D. Lowen; this was in 1868; however, in 1869 the firm became M. Liepman & Bro. Their first store building was only 19x60, and now it is 39x90, two floors. Mr. Liepman has always been interested in public affairs, and desires the advancement of the welfare of the city. He was elected to the City Council in 1876, re-elected in 1878, and again in 1880, and was President of the honorable body for three years. He took a prominent part in the settlement of the city's indebtedness in 1879-80, and when the normal school movement was first inaugurated, was the Treasurer of the same, and also Board of Trustees of the Kansas Normal School at Fort Scott. In 1868, he was married to Miss Sarah Loewen, of St. Louis, Mo.; they have a family of four children. Mr. Liepman belongs to the Masonic Order and the I. O. O. F.
JOHN LOCKWOOD was born at Barrow, Lincolnshire, England, in 1827. He was married at Brigg, Lincolnshire, England, in 1853, and sailed for America four days after. He came to Princeton, Ill., and staid sic with his two brothers two weeks; then went to Davenport, Iowa, and went to work for Dalum & Heldreth, flour mill, where he remained until 1858, when he went over to Rock Island, and ran the engine in Warner's Mill for seven years, and went back to Davenport in 1865. He worked for D. H. Barrows one year; then went into business with Merideth & Thompson and built what was called the Farmers' Mill, in 1867. Sold out in 1870, and came to Fort Scott, Kan., built the Lockwood House; Mrs. Lockwood managed the house while Mr. Lockwood engaged to work for Gov. Crawford, and ran the mill until the mill was burned down. He then engaged with Shepard & Higby, and ran their engine until 1876, and then took charge of the hotel, where he now resides. He owns three fine residences on Eddy street and one on Judson street, the Lockwood House on National avenue. He has a family of four children, two are married and two single. Mr. Lockwood belongs to the I. O. O. F.
F. G. LOTTERER, hardware, is a native of La Grange County, Ind., born in 1854. He came to Fort Scott in 1870, and was employed by the Land Office here; soon afterward he went into the grocery business, and finally in 1872, learned the tinner's trade, going to work for Morely sic & Brother; where he remained until 1877, leaving their employ to establish his present business on the corner of Oak and National avenue. Mr. Lotterer in 1876 married Miss Blackett of Fort Scott; they have three children. He is a member of the Lodge of Red Men here.