|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCBRIDE - ZUTAVERN).
E. MC BRIDE, general dealer and proprietor livery sale and feed stable, first came to Great Bend in 1875 and engaged in the stock business, real estate and loan business, which he has yet continued. He was born in Perry County, Pa., 1836, and lived in his native county until twenty-one years old. He thence went to Keokuk, Iowa, and engaged in stock business and agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. Was married, 1870, to Miss Anna Teetorn, of Stark County, Ohio. They have one daughter - Jettie. He is a member of A. F. & A. M.
JOSEPH S. MCCLURE, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Great Bend, is the son of Harvey and Jane McClure, and was born in Juniata County, Pa., April 19, 1825. His mother's maiden name was Anderson, and both his parents were natives of the State in which he was born. In October, 1839, he moved with his parents to Wayne County, Ohio, where his father died the following year. His father was a blacksmith by trade, and also a farmer, and the subject of this sketch was made acquainted with labor when quite young. The common school afforded his only means of obtaining an education, and in those early days, even such as they offered, was obtained under many difficulties. Joseph S. was raised to farming, and followed this pursuit until 1853, when he established himself in the tanning business. On May 29, 1849, he was married in Wayne County, Ohio, to Miss Anna Morrison, a native of Mercer County, Pa; the issue of which marriage has been two children - George W., born in Wayne County, Ohio, and Jennie C., born at the same place. In 1859 Mr. McClure moved to Iowa, where he located in Linn County and resumed farming, and also became quite extensively engaged in stock raising. He has served in different capacities as a township officer, and in the fall of 1871 was elected to represent Linn County in the Legislature of Iowa, taking his seat in the Fourteenth General Assembly of that State, serving through one session of 114 days duration in 1872, and also in the extra session of 1873. In March, 1877, he moved to Kansas and located in Barton County, where he engaged in mercantile business, at which he remained until June, 1881, when he closed out and re-engaged in farming, which, combined with stock raising, is his present occupation.
ALCINOUS Y. MCCORMICK, physician, was born July 6, 1843, in Fayette County, Pa., being the third son, and sixth child born to James and Mary McCormick. His father was a farmer and native of Pennsylvania, and his mother was a native of New Jersey. Until A. Y. had attained the age of fifteen years, he attended the public schools in his native county, after which he entered Greene Academy, in Greene County, Pa., which he attended for three years, and then went to Cumberland, where he read medicine for eighteen months in the office of his brother, W. H. McCormick, M. D., preparatory to his entering Jefferson College. He attended lectures in the latter institution during the winter 1864-65, and also during the winter 1865-66, graduating from Jefferson College, Philadelphia, in the spring of the latter year. He also graduated from the Philadelphia Lving(sic) in Charity, an institution established for the benefit of women in needy and indigent circumstances. After graduating he located in Frederick City, Md., where he commenced the practice of his profession, and remained until February, 1868, when he moved to Fowler, Adams Co., Ill, where he continued to practice for fifteen years, when he moved to Kansas, in January, 1883, locating at Great Bend, in Barton County, where he continues the practice of his profession. On September 23, 1873, in the City of Chicago, A. Y. McCormick was married to Miss Fannie Woodbury, a native of Massachusetts, by which marriage two children have been born to him - Florence, born July 12, 1875, at Fowler, Ill; died September 24, 1876; Virgil, born at Fowler, Ill, September 25, 1879.
W. W. MAXWELL, proprietor Southern Hotel. He opened the above hotel to the public in September, 1880. It has a capacity of fifty guests, and contains thirty rooms, size fifty feet front, 180 feet deep and three stories high. He came to Great Bend, in 1879, and engaged in the hotel business. He was born in Erie County, Pa., April 11, 1853; was raised in his native county. Went to Janesville, Wis., 1876, and attended a telegraph school, graduating the same year; after which he followed operating until he came to Kansas.
G. N. & E. R. MOSES, successors to Burton, Moses & Bro., dealers in hardware, stoves, tinware, copper, granite ware, pumps, paints, guns, pistols and farm machinery of all kinds, including Moline plows and Cassady sulky plows, Studebaker springs and farm wagons, phaetons and buggies, Enterprise windmills, mowers, watches, clocks, jewelry, silverware and musical instruments. They erected their store in 1878 with a bring front and stone sidewalls, size 25x140 feet, two stories and basement, at a cost of $10,000. They carry a stock of $25,000, and employ four men in the business. They are proprietors of Union Hall.
DAVID ROBERTS, of the firm of Sooy, Brinkman, & Roberts, proprietors Walnut Creek Steam Flouring Mills; these mills were erected in 1877, size of which is forty-five feet wide by eighty feet deep and forty-five feet high, capacity is 250 barrels in twenty-four hours; they employ fifteen men. They have an elevator connected with the mills with a capacity of 12,000 bushels. Mr. Roberts came to Great Bend, in 1877, and engaged in the above business. He was born in Canada, in 1852, and was raised in his native country. He first engaged in the milling business when only a young lad, thoroughly learned the millers trade. He came to the United States in 1871, and worked at milling in Fort Wayne, Ind., until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1871, to Miss Mary Belanger, of Canada. They have four children - James D., Olive M., Paul D. and Fannie L. He is a member of the three branches of Masonry. His wife died in 1878, and he was married again in 1880, to Sarah A. Rusk, a native of Iowa. They have one daughter, Phoebe.
J. F. ROGERS, cashier Barton County Bank; H. C. Harrison, President; G. H. Young, Assistant Cashier. Capital, $50,000. They do a general banking business. The above bank was organized and opened for business in January, 1882, with eastern correspondents First National Bank of New York City, and Merchant's National Bank of Kansas City, Mo. Mr. Rogers first came to Kansas in November, 1878, locating in Concordia, Cloud County, where he engaged in business as a farm loan broker, and went into the banking business eighteen months previous to going to Great Bend. He was born in Thibodeaux, La, November 20, 1949, and was raised in that country; lived in Dayton, Ohio, one and a half years, and at eleven years of age returned with his parents to native place; at a suitable age he embarked in the farm loan business, and has followed that business all through northern Missouri and western Iowa, before coming to Kansas. Married in 1879, to Miss Effie L. Hoffman, of Oskaloosa, Iowa. They have one daughter - Emily J. He is a member of the two first branches of the Masonic order and Congregational Church.
A. C. SCHERMERHORN, Clerk of District Court. He first came to Barton County in 1874, and engaged in farming and stock raising until elected to the above office in the fall of 1879. Re-elected in the fall of 1882. He was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., September 14, 1840, and was raised in his native county. Enlisted in April, 1861, in Company K, Fourteenth New York Volunteer Infantry. He participated in all the battles of his command until discharged in February, 1863. He then went to Marshall County, Ill., and in May, 1864, re-enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to First Lieutenant of his company and participated in all actions of his regiment. Mustered out in November, 1864. He then went to La Salle County, Ill, and engaged in the manufacture of harness until he came to Kansas. Married in 1865, to Miss Eliza M. Dougan, of Putnam County, Ill. They have two children - Lena C., and Robert D. He is a member of the two first orders of Masonry, Pap Thomas Post No. 52.
C. M. SMITH, dealer in real estate, Notary Public, loan and insurance agent. He first came to Great Bend in February, 1878, and opened a real estate office, etc. He was born in Venango County, Pa, in 1837, and was raised in Sandusky County, Ohio, his parents moving there in 1844. He enlisted September 15, 1861, in Company A, Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Was promoted to Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant and Captain of his company, serving in the latter capacity two and a half years, participating in all the battles of his command, amounting to seventeen regular battles, and twenty skirmishes. He was wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville, Resaca and Averysboro. He was mustered out July 20, 1865. He had charge of forty men who first entered Atlanta, Ga. He afterward engaged in the hardware and implement business at Napoleon, Henry Co., Ohio, until he immigrated to Kansas. He was married in 1863, to Miss Sara A. Morris, of Geneva, Ashtabula Co., Ohio. They have five children - Elva E., Madge M. Frank H. Terry C., and an infant daughter. He is a member of the Masonic order and Pap Thomas Post No. 52, G. A. R.
WILLIAM TORREY, agent for the A. T. & S. F. R. R. Co., came to this state in the fall of 1873, and located at Great Bend in December of the same year as agent, where he has occupied the same position since. He was born in Otsego County, N. Y., December 4, 1841, and lived in his native county until about nineteen years old, when he went to Illinois, in the employ of the C. B. & Q. R. R., first as brakeman, then conductor on freight train, then baggageman on passenger trains, and finally to local agent. He continued with the C. B. & Q, until he came to Kansas. He enlisted in the first call of April, 1861, in Company A., Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the three months service, and participated in the first battle of Bull Run. He was mustered out in August, 1861. He married in 1874, Miss H C. Hartman, of Columbia County, Pa., a graduate of Bloomsburg, Pa., State University. They have two children - Henry B., and Haddie E. He is a member of the three first orders of Masonry, and is a past master of Blue Lodge and high priest of Chapter.
C. P. TOWNSLEY, editor and proprietor of the Inland Tribune, a Republican newspaper, printed in Great Bend, the first issue of which was made August 12, 1876, now has a circulation of 800 copies. Mr. T. came to great Bend in July, 1875, and opened a law office and continued in the profession until he became interested in the above newspaper. He was born in Huntingdon, Pa., in 1833. Parents with family moved to Boonesville, Mo., in 1837, where he was raised. He enlisted in 1861 in Fortieth Missouri Militia and served in that capacity four years, participating in the battle of Springfield, Mo. and many skirmishes. He began the study of law in 1857. Admitted to bar of practice at Georgetown, Mo., in 1860. He practiced law in Missouri for many years. Was a member of the Missouri State Senate in 1867. In 1869 he was elected Judge of the Fifth Judicial District, Missouri, and filled that position six years. Married in 1865 to Miss Laura Moses of New York State. They have three children - Channel P., Florence E. and Willie I. Mr. T. is a member of the K. of H. of Great Bend.
D. TURNER, dealer of lumber and all kinds of building material, under the firm name of R. Black. The trade was opened in the fall of 1878. They carry an average stock of $10,000. Mr. D. Turner is manager of the above business. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1878. He was born in La Porte County, Ind., September 29, 1939. Parents moved to Hancock County, Ill, when he was a young lad. He first began his business life in the lumber trade and has ever since continued. Enlisted in 1862 in Company E, One Hundred and Fifty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was promoted to First Lieutenan., (sic) He participated in the siege of Vicksburg and was there captured May 24, 1863, and confined in Rebel prisons twenty-one months. He then was returned to his regiment. Mustered out October 1, 1865. Married in 1866 to Miss M. C. Chittenden of Warsaw, Ill. They have six children - Arthur E., Jennie B., Finette, George C., Helen and Luella. He is a member of first two Masonic orders and Pap Thomas Post No. 52, G. A. R.
EDWIN TYLER, merchant, was the fifth child and fourth son born to Nathaniel and Clarissa Tyler, his birth occurring on the 27th day of November, 1842. His father was a native of New York State, and was a cooper by trade, but in later life was engaged in mercantile business and farming. Edwin was born in Richfield, Adams Co., Ill. His education was received at the common schools of his native county, which he attended until the war of secession commenced. His father died in 1853, after which Edwin, during the time he was not attending school, assisted his mother in conducting the business of the store. On August 20, 1861, he enlisted in Company C., Fiftieth Illinois Infantry Volunteers. He participated in the battles of Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, siege and battle of Corinth, and also took part in several severe skirmishes in Western Tennessee, Northern Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. While in the army he lost the sight of one eye, and after having served three years and three months, was mustered out of the service at Rome, Ga. Leaving the army he engaged in mercantile business, and on December 31, 1865, was married at Richfield, Adams Co., Ill, to Lydia F. Mosley, a native of Missouri. The issue by this marriage has been T. Young Tyler, born at Richfield, Ill., May 15, 1867, died October 19, 1880; Clarissa Y., born in Audrain County, Mo., September 18, 1868; Taylor B., born at Richfield, Ill., December 12, 1870, died December 22, 1880; Dora M., born at Great Bend, Kas., May 1, 1874; Hailie, born at Great Bend, Kas., October 20, 1877; Eddie, born at Great Bend, Kas. November 4, 1881, died March 4, 1882. Mr. Tyler has served as a member of the City Council of Great Bend, and has at various times served in other official capacities, and was for four years Deputy Sheriff and Deputy County Clerk of Barton County, and is at present engaged in mercantile business in Great Bend.
JOHN TYPER, proprietor Typer House, first came to Great Bend, Kan., in the spring of 1872, and soon began erecting a part of the above hotel; size of which is 50x72 feet, two stories high and has a capacity of thirty guests. This house was opened to the public in 1872. Mr. T. was born in Franklin County, Pa., February 20, 1830, and was raised in that county; moved to Hancock County, Ill., in 1854, and farmed many years, also kept hotel six years. He enlisted August 7, 1862, in Company A, One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all battles of his command. Resigned in July, 1865; his promotions were to First Lieutenant. Was married in 1852, to Miss Mary A. Swiegart of Franklin County, Pa. They have two children - R. Preston and Margaret A. He is a member of Pap Thomas Post, No. 52, G. A. R.
ALBERT WEISS first came to Great Bend, Kan., in the spring of 1879. He was born in Germany, February 26, 1842, came to America in 1870, and engaged in general merchandising in Potosi, Mo. until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1873, to Miss Mary Schamp, a native of Germany. They have three children - Arthur, Meta and Harry. He is a member of Chapter Lodge, A. F.& A. M., and the German Volksfriend. They have the finest I. O. O. F. hall on the second floor of their store to be found in Western Kansas.
CAL WEVER, County Treasurer, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, August 9, 1852. He was the seventh child and third son born to Michael and Lavina Wever, both natives of Pennsylvania. His father was a farmer, and Cal's opportunities of receiving an education were those offered by the common schools of his native county. He worked at home on the farm until he was fifteen years old when he went to Warren, Ohio, and studied pharmacy and engaged in the drug business. In 1874, he moved to Cleveland, Ohio, and in the year following moved to Kansas and located at Great Bend, in Barton County, where he was engaged as a pharmacist in Mr. A. S. Allen's drug store for nearly five years. In the fall of 1881, he was elected Treasurer of Barton County, entering upon the duties of the office in the fall of the following year. Mr. Wever is also engaged to some extent in the stock business.
DR. W. H. WHITE, physician and surgeon, came to Great Bend, Kan., July 12, 1876, and has practiced medicine since, belonging to the Eclectic School of Medicine. He was born in Oswego County, N. Y., 1833, and was raised in his native county. Was medically educated in Philadelphia Eclectic College, graduating in the class of 1863. He began the practice of medicine in Centralia, Ill, in 1864; has practiced in various places in Illinois, Missouri, and Ohio. He came to Park City, Kan., in the spring of 1872, where he practiced his profession until he located in Great Bend. Was married in 1865, to Miss Catharine Hatten, of Oswego, N. Y. They have four children - Edser T., Myron, Kate and an infant son.
C. F. WILLMER, dealer in general line of household furniture, carpets, undertaking goods etc. He is also the undertaker for Great Bend. He opened business in 1878; erected his store in 1880, of cut stone, at a cost of $5,000, size of which is 25x75 feet, and two stories high. He carries an average stock of $6,000, and employs two men besides his own supervision. He was born in Northern Germany, March 18, 1847. Came to America, in 1866, first locating in New Orleans, La, thence to St. Louis, Mo., in the employ of Government until 1870. He then went to Denver, Col., and engaged in cabinetmaking, latter two years engaged in contracting and building at Georgetown, Col, after which he returned to Kansas. Married in 1872, to Miss Lena Feldcamp, of Springfield, Ill. They have four children - Paulina J., Freddie U., Nellie L. and Edward C. He is a member of two branches of Masonry. Mrs. W. is a member Congregational Church.
DR. W. J. WINNER, physician and surgeon, first came to Great Bend, Kansas, in 1876, where he has since continued the practice of medicine. He practiced the profession in Topeka, Kansas, in 1869. He was born in Bucks County, Pa., January 23, 1836. When quite a lad his parents moved to Mount Pleasant, Ohio, and there he was raised until sixteen years of age, when the family emigrated to Fulton County, Ill, where he made his home until coming to Kansas. He was principally educated in Illinois. He graduated from Rush Medical College, in Chicago, Ill, in 1860. He was Assistant Surgeon in the sixty-first Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, enlisting as Hospital Steward, March 1, 1862. He participated in the battles of Shiloh, capture of Vicksburg, Little Rock, and was on the Red River Expedition. He was mustered out in 1865. He then practiced medicine in Illinois until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1866, to Miss Luellen Webster, of Marysville, Ky. They have one daughter - Annie L. He was Examining Surgeon for Pensions at Great Bend, Kas., for six years, and is a member of the K. of H. He is a dealer in general line of drugs and druggists' sundries. Opened business in 1876, and carries a stock of $4,000. He has 400 acres of land, 200 acres cultivated, and a herd of cattle.
C. C. WOLFE, County Superintendent of Public Schools. He came to the county in February, 1878, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he has since continued. Elected to the above office in the fall of 1882. There are eighty-seven organized schools in Barton County, of which he has charge. He was born in Richland County, Ohio, August 26, 1847. Was raised in his native county; partly educated at Denison University, at Granville, Ohio, and completed his education at Amherst College, Mass., of which institution he graduated in the class of 1875. He then followed teaching until he came to Kansas.
ZUTAVERN & STROBEL, proprietors of livery, sale and feed stables. The present firm became proprietors of the above business in 1879; their barn is 75x150 feet. They keep the most extensive livery in Great Bend. George Strobel also deals largely in live stock, making that his principal business. He first came to Kansas in 1872, locating in Great Bend. He attended school some time, and in 1877 engaged in the live stock business. He was born in St. Louis, Mo., April 10, 1858. Went to North Topeka, Kas., in 1868, where he spent his school days until coming to his present home.