|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (TABOR - WETZEL).
TABOR BROS., clothing and gent's furnishing goods, Mo. 308 Commercial street, established this business at Atchison in April, 1881. The firm consists of three brothers, two of whom are in Cohoes, N. Y., where they have a large establishment devoted to the above line of business. The brothers are Anson, Bernard, and Leo, all born in Bavaria, at the city of Munich, the latter in 1860. He emigrated to the United States in 1873, and was engaged with his brothers at Cohoes, N. Y., previous to coming to Atchison and establishing this branch. The storeroom is 22X90 and well filled with the choicest and most complete line of gent's furnishing goods to be found in the city, and is strictly "one price only."
JOSEPH TACK, engineer on the Missouri Pacific R. R., residence Utah avenue between Liberty and Federal streets, is a native of Wisconsin, born at Steven's Point Portage Co., February 2, 1856. In 1873 the subject of this sketch commenced railroading on the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific as wiper in the shops at Atchison. At the expiration of one year he advanced to fireman, and three years later was put in charge of an engine, running on this road in that capacity ever since. Mr. Tack is now the oldest employee of this road in the capacity of engineer; and once, by the special order of Supt. Maj. W. S. Dowers, made a fast run of 185 miles in four hours and thirty- six minutes. The subject of this sketch is a member of the Engineer's Locomotive Brotherhood, No. 164, at Atchison, and the Fireman's Locomotive Brotherhood of the same city. His wife was Miss Kate Reilly, of this city, to whom he was married January 7, 1879.
JOSEPH H. TALBOT first came to Kansas on a prospecting tour in 1855. In June, 1857, he located with his family in Centre Township, at Monrovia, where he resided until he was elected Register of Deeds, and assumed the duties of the office in January, 1862. At this time he removed to Atchison, and after serving three terms as Register of Deeds, engaged in real estate business, in which he has continued to the present time, being now the oldest real estate dealer in the city. Mr. Talbot was a member of the State Militia, and participated in the Price raid. He has always been a Free-state man, and an active Republican. He is now a member of the School Board, also a member of the orders of A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., and K. of H. He was born in Canal Dover, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, May 20, 1832. At the age of twenty-one he located in Zanesville, Ind., near Fort Wayne, where he resided for about four years engaged in mercantile pursuits. In 1856 he removed to Des Moines, Iowa, where he remained until he located in Kansas. He was married at Canal Dover, Ohio, August 21, 1853, to Maria L. Reck, daughter of Rev. John B. Reck of the English Evangelical Lutheran Church, a clergyman prominent in the organization of Wittemburg College at Springfield, Ohio. Mrs. Talbot is a native of Washington County, Md. They have six children - Kate K., John R., B. Frank, Maria L., Grace R., and Joseph H.
T. D. TARRANT, contractor and plasterer, Atchison, Kan., was born in Greene County, Tenn., in 1833. When thirteen years of age his parents removed to Cass County, Mo., where he attended school until eighteen years old, when he learned the carpenter's trade and shortly afterward the plasterer's trade; the latter he has since followed. In 1863 moved to this place where he engaged in contracting. He was married in 1856 at Harrisonville, Mo., to Miss Martha Hollenback. They have eight children - Laura B., Mary S., Ella A., Oliver, Thomas H., Minnie L., William and Stella E. He is a member of the Atchison Lodge, A. O. U. W. No. 4.
ASA PEASLEE TENNEY, M. D., was born in Concord, N. H., September 21, 1833. In 1855 he commenced the study of medicine in his native town, and continued his studies in 1856-57, under the instruction of Dr. J. F. Jarvis, of Boston, Mass. In the fall of 1857, he became connected with the Boston Lunatic Asylum as assistant physician, a position he retained until 1859. He graduated March 3, of that year, from Harvard Medical College, Boston. From 1859 until June, 1864, he was assistant physician at the Illinois State Hospital for the Insane at Jacksonville, and afterward practiced his profession at Bloomington. In October, 1877, was appointed Superintendent of the Kansas State Lunatic Asylum, located at Osawatomie. In December, 1879, he removed to Atchison, where he continues in the active practice of medicine and surgery. He was a member of the Illinois State Medical Society, the Central Illinois District Society, and McLean County Society; was for several years secretary of the Board of Examining Surgeons at Bloomington, Ill. In Kansas, he is a member of the State Medical Society; has been President of the Atchison County Medical Society, and is the United States Examining Surgeon for pensions. He is master of Washington Lodge, in the order of the A., F. & A. M.; holds office in Washington Chapter and Commandery, and is a member of the Grand Lodge. He was married, September 21, 1863, to Minerva Tenney of Binghamton, N. Y. They have had four children. The oldest son died in infancy. The second, Walter H., died in Atchison, September, 1879, aged twelve years. One daughter, Emily, and son, Edwin Roy are living.
THOMAS D. TERRELL, Ph. G., Ph. D., chemist and druggist, came to Kansas April 16, 1881, and located in Atchison, where he has since resided. Ever since his arrival in Atchison he has held an important and responsible position in the large wholesale drug establishment of McPike & Fox. Dr. Terrell is a member of Paradise Lodge No. 127, I. O. O. F., Philadelphia, Pa., and a member of the Independent Order of Red Men, Tribe No. 190, of the same city. Dr. T. was born in Macon, Miss. September 4, 1853, where he lived until his sixth year, when his parents removed to Camden, N. J., where they lived for five years, when they removed to Philadelphia, Pa., where the subject of this sketch resided until September, 1879, when he came to Columbia, Boone County, Mo., from whence he came to Kansas. Dr. T. is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, class of '74, and a member of the Missouri Pharmaceutical Association, and is well and favorably known for his practical and scientific acquaintance with his profession.
CHARLES G. TIBBITS, foreman of the Santa Fe railroad yards, and of engine No. 119, residence 1029 Parallel street, entered the railroad service in the fall of 1866, as brakesman on the Lake Shore Railroad. Remained there till the spring of 1870, then came West, where he followed the same occupation for a time, and afterwards ran a freight train four years. Was then conductor on the C., M. & St. P. R. R. until the fall of '78, when he came to Atchison, and immediately took charge of the yards for the Santa Fe Railroad Company, at Wichita, and in May, 1881, was located in Atchison as above. Mr. Tibbits took an active part in the late Rebellion, serving the entire four years and three months as a volunteer in the Fourteenth Ohio Infantry, Company F, and at the battle of Chickamauga was wounded twice, the first time in the head, the second in the foot, while lying unconscious. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Hawkeye Lodge No. 30, Muscatine, Iowa, and has a policy in the Hartford Accidental Insurance Company. Mr. Tibbits' first wife was Miss Sarah J. Lacey. They were married at Toledo, Ohio, in 1860. She died in March, 1879. In February, 1880, he married his present wife, who was formerly Miss Clara M. Phillips.
L. L. TODD, superintendent of the Chicago Atchison Bridge Company, came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, and located at Leavenworth, where he was employed in the Citizens' Bank about two years as bookkeeper and teller, and afterward as teller for Smoot, Russell & Co., until the spring of 1860. He next went to Denver, where he was cashier for Clark, Gruber & Co., for about a year, and then engaged in the grocery business in the same place. In 1863, he returned to Leavenworth, and took a position as bookkeeper in a wholesale grocery house. Went again to Denver, in the spring of 1864, and in the spring of the same year moved to Michigan, where he engaged in mercantile business at Morence, and remained until the spring of 1870. July, 1870, he moved to Atchison, and was in the drug business in that city until June, 1874. In May, 1875, he was made cashier of the American Bridge Company, and held that position until the completion of the Chicago & Atchison Bridge, at Atchison, September 1, 1875. On the 2d day of September, 1875, he received the appointment of superintendent of the Chicago & Atchison Bridge Company, and has held the position since that time. Mr. Todd was born in Adrian, Mich., January 28, 1832, and lived in that State until he removed to Kansas. He was married in Clayton, Mich., to Adelphe K. Hodge, a native of New York. Their children are Frank A. and Belle L. Mr. Todd is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge and Chapter, in Atchison, and Detroit Consistory.
N. D. TODD, assistant superintendent Atchison bridge, was born in Lenawee County, Mich., September 16, 1845. Was educated there and engaged in farming until October, 1863, when he enlisted in Company H, Eleventh Regiment Michigan Cavalry, and served until mustered out in September, 1865. He then returned to Michigan and engaged in drug business at Morenci, until 1874. In 1875 he moved to Kansas, settled in Atchison, and was appointed Toll Collector of Bridge. Appointed to present position in 1878. Mr. Todd was married in Lewanee County, Mich., May 14, 1871, to Miss Hulda Aldrich, of Gorham, Fulton County, Ohio. They have two children - Luther and Hugh. Mr. T. is a Knight Templar in Masonic Fraternity. He is King in Chapter, Captain General in Council, and P. M. in Lodge.
JOHN C. TOMLINSON located at Atchison, November 1868, and soon after commenced practice as an attorney, in company with Thomas Metcalf, remaining with him about a year. Since July 1879, he has been associated with Charles T. Griffin. During his residence in Atchison, Mr. Tomalinson has been offered nominations for Probate Judge, County Attorney, and Member of the Legislature, all of which he had declined. In 1879, he was elected Mayor on the Democratic ticket, being the first regular nominee of that party elected to the office. During his term of service as Mayor, the City Railway and City Waterworks were built; the Fire Department organized; the streets macadamized; City Buildings bought; $300,000 city indebtedness was compromised and refunded; 960 houses being erected during the first year alone of his term of office. He was nominated for Congress on the Democratic ticket, in 1880, but declined to run on account of his various public duties as Mayor and President of Kansas Exposition, and the private duties of his profession. Mr. Tomlinson was born in Lewisburg, Mason Co., Ky., October 15, 1849; received his early education in the public schools of the county, and his later academic education at Mount Sterling, Ky., afterward reading law at the same place with J. M. Crawford and Thomas Metcalfe. He was married at Atchison, November 5, 1880, to Mary Belle Easton, of Belmont County, Ohio. They have one child - John C. Mr. Tomlinson is a member of A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F.
CARL TREFFZ, proprietor Central bakery. This prosperous and enterprising citizen is a native of Germany, and was born in Hesse Darmstadt, October 28, 1841; was reared, educated and learned the baker's trade in his native country. He served five years in the German army, and fought against Prussia in 1866. In 1867, he came to America, and located in Atchison. He applied himself assiduously to work for about seven years, and having accumulated a fair start, opened his business in 1875. Few resident of the city are more highly respected than Mr. Treffz. He married, in 1867, Miss Elizabeth Sieber, of Germany, an estimable lady. They have three children - Katie, Augusta, and Lottie.
H. V. TRIMMER, junior member of the firm of Benedict & Trimmer, retail grocers, No. 1503 West Main street, became a resident of Atchison in 1880. Co-operated with E. S. Wills, buying grain, and has since continued successfully in that line of business. In October 1881, became connected with G. A. Benedict in the grocer trade, and together they have made a successful business venture. Mr. Trimmer is a young man of marked ability and decided business talent, and is well-calculated to receive the confidence of his friends and patrons. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 17, 1857, where he lived until his removal to Atchison, and acquired a liberal education in the high school of that city.
A. C. TRUEBLOOD, a native of Salem, Ind., was born January 30, 1838, and resided at that place until he came to Kansas, and located at Shannon Township, in the spring of 1880. He remained at Shannon, engaged in farming, one year, at the expiration of which time he removed to Atchison and opened a wholesale and retail crockery store, which he still carries on. At the opening of the war, April 19, 1861, young Trueblood enlisted as a private in Company G, Thirteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He participated in all the battles in which his command was engaged; was promoted to Captain of his Company, January 13, 1863, and was mustered out at close of term of service - three years - on June 19, 1864. He then returned to Indiana, and engaged in mercantile pursuits until he emigrated to this State. Mr. Trueblood is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge and Chapter. He was married in Salem, Ind., December 29, 1864, to Harriet Allen, of the same place. Their children are Albert A., Victor E., Paul B., Owen H., and Nellie.
FREE TUFTS, assistant superintendent bridges and buildings, Mo. Pac. Ry., and general roadmaster, Kansas City to Omaha, was born in Litchfield, N. H., September 10, 1844. He was educated as a civil engineer, following his profession about five years on the Erie Railway, three years to the Chicago & Northwestern Ry., and about the same length of time on the C., R. I. & P. R. R. Coming to Kansas in the summer of 1877, when the Central Branch of the Union Pacific Railway was being built from Greenleaf west, he accepted the position of assistant engineer. In December of the same year he was appointed engineer and roadmaster of the completed line, and the following year was made chief engineer, which position he held until January 1, 1880, when he was appointed assistant superintendent B. & B. Mo. Pac. Ry., and in September, 1882, was added the title and duties of general roadmaster, Kansas City to Omaha.
MILTON VORSE, engineer, came to Kansas in June, 1881, and located in Atchison and has remained there since. He was a private in Company H, Sixth United States heavy Artillery, and enlisted in the fall of 1863, in Natchez, Miss. He participated in all the engagements of his command, and was severely wounded at the battle of Concordia Lake, La., and was captured by rebels, but managed to escape shortly afterward, and rejoined his command. He was mustered out of the United states service May 3, 1866 at Natchez, Miss. He was born near Cumberland Gap, in Virginia, in 1832, and remained there until his twelfth year, when he came to Buchanan County, Mo. Here he remained about six years, and then went to Platte County, of the same State, where he lived seven years. From there he went to Rodney, Miss., where he lived five years, and then entered the United States army. After his discharge from the service he returned to Platte County, Mo., where he lived seven years, when he removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he lived until he came to Kansas. he was married in Platte County, Mo., in the fall of 1867, to Jane Kennedy, a native of Kentucky. They have four children living, Celia, Abraham Lincoln, Phoebe and George.
J. L. WADE, farmer, two and a half miles southwest of Atchison, was born in Cole County, Mo., in 1839, and was raised on a farm. In 1859 he came to Kansas and settled on a farm near his present location, but farming did not pay then as now. He followed freighting across the plains from Atchison to Denver and other points until the fall of 1864, when he bought his present farm, and has been engaged in farming and stock raising ever since. In 1864 the State Militia was called out to repel Price, who threatened a raid into the State. He being a member of Company -, the regiment was out fifteen days, and in one battle near Westport, Mo., he was wounded, losing the end of the left hand forefinger. Was married in Shannon Township, Atchison Co., in 1863, to Miss Quintilla, Millen. They have six children living, viz., Birdie, George, Francis, Johnston, Olea and Sarah A. Has been Treasurer of School District No. 4 for the past ten years.
BALIE P. WAGGENER was born July 18, 1847, near Platte City, Platte Co., Mo. He was educated in Platte City, and on September 5, 1866, entered the law office of Otis & Glick, at Atchison, as a student. he was admitted to the Bar at Atchison, Kan., June 10, 1867. In 1870, he formed a partnership with A. H. Horton, present Chief Justice of the State, with whom he continued until January 1, 1877, when he formed a partnership with A. S. Everest, under the firm name of Everest & Waggener. The firm of Everest & Waggener are now the attorneys for the Mo. Pacific Ry. Co., C., B. U. P. R. R. Co., C., R. I. & P. R. R. Co., West. Union Tel. Co., Pacific Express Co., Exchange Nat. Bank of Atchison, Atchison Savings Bank, First Nat. Bank of Atchison, and Atchison Bridge Company. Mr. Waggener is not a politician, but devotes his time exclusively to the practice of his profession. He was married in Atchison, May 27, 1869, to Emma L., daughter of William Hetherington.
JOHN E. WAGNER, retired merchant, residence on Fourth street, South Atchison, is a native of France, born in Valenciennes, July 20, 1822. emigrated to the United States in 1850, and for eight years was connected with a large hardware store in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1858, having a desire, as thousands of other business men of the eastern cities had, to transfer his place of business to some of the young, enterprising towns of the West, he accordingly set forth, in July of that year, to look up a location, having his eye on St. Joseph, Leavenworth or Kansas City, all three of these towns at that time bearing a good name in the East. After his further examination of several of the western towns, Mr. Wagner decided that Atchison was a very desirable location, but was doubtful of the propriety of opening a hardware store in so small a place. He, however, met with Senator Pomeroy, whose faith in the location of Atchison as one that, in time, must make a large city, inspired Mr. Wagner with a similar confidence, and his decision was that this place should be his future home. Removing from Cincinnati, he at once opened his stock of hardware in the then only brick building in the town, standing on Commercial street, near the Levee, of which Mr. Wagner was the first occupant. Here he did business for two years, meeting with a liberal patronage of the people, and then removed to a frame building on the same street, between Second and Third; but after three years, the growth of the city had been so large that his place of business was too far from the business center, and he erected a brick building on the corner of Fourth and Commercial streets, three stories high and 25X75 feet, for his business had grown to such an extent that it needed a great deal of room for the display of goods. Here Mr. Wagner continued business until January, 1871, when he sold out to Messrs. Blish & Silliman, and during the same year, in company with his wife, took a trip embracing Colorado, California, Panama, Jamaica and San Domingo; and since that time they have made several voyages to Europe. Mrs. Wagner was born in Lierre, France, and both are original members of the Congregational Church of this city. Mr. Wagner erected the first residence in South Atchison, in 1859, and built his new residence, the present brick edifice, in 1880.
SAMUEL WAGSTAFF, dealer in flour, feed, etc. Among those that pioneered west of the Missouri River and contended with the privations of the first settlers, is the subject of this sketch. He was a native of England, and was born in Derbyshire, September 7, 1825; was reared and resided in his native country until 1854, when he crossed the ocean, locating in New York city, where he was a resident for two years. In 1857, he came to Nebraska, and was among the first settlers of Nemaha County, where he opened a farm and was for twenty years closely associated with its growth and development. Coming in at that day he had all the trials of the first settlers to meet. He was eminently successful as a farmer and secured a well-merited reputation as an agriculturist, by industry and good judgement. In 1877, Mr. W. discontinued farming, came to Atchison, and engaged in the soap business, which proved a rather disastrous venture, but not through any mismanagement of his, however. His present business was established on December, 1881. Mr. W. is an affable and well informed gentleman, has an excellent memory, and takes great delight in recounting the reminiscences and exploits of early days in the far West. He has been married twice - first in England, in 1848, to Miss Margaret Milner, now deceased. His present wife, formerly Mrs. M. E. Nichols, he married in 1870.
CLAUDIUS D. WALKER, with his parents, Harvey and Anna Belle Walker, came to Kansas in the fall of 1858, first locating at Fort Scott, where they remained until 1861. From Fort Scott they removed to Winchester, Jefferson Co., Kan., which place was the home of Claudius D. until 1868, and where his parents still reside. After receiving his early education at the public schools, young Walker attended Baker University at Baldwin City, Kan., and was afterward four years at the State Agricultural College at Manhattan. He then read law nearly two years with Royce & Boyd of Cincinnati, and graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan in 1878, locating soon afterward in Atchison, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. Walker was born in Greeneville, Mercer Co., Pa. He was married in Atchison June 7, 1881, to Lizzie E., daughter of W. W. Auld. Mr. W. is a member of the Knights of Pythias and Knights of Honor.
E. E. WALKER, general agent H. & St. Jo. R. R., was born in Burlington, Iowa, March 1, 1859. His parents were old residents of Burlington, though originally from Jefferson County, Ohio. He received his education in Burlington, graduating from B. & S. Business College in 1872. He then commenced clerking for E. S. Edger & Co., and remained with this firm about five years. He then became connected with W. C. Wadsworth & Co., of Davenport, for a time. In 1877, he moved to Kansas and took a position in freight office of H. & St. Jo., and has worked through all the clerkships until appointed to present position, November 1, 1881.
JOHN WALSH, general baggage agent at the Union Depot, was born at Carbondale, Pa., April 14, 1855. While in his native State he was employed in the coal mines, and also as clerk in a store. In 1878, accepted the position of baggage master in the old depot at Atchison, and remained in that situation until the erection of the new Union Depot, and then accepted the position of general baggage master, where he has five men under his supervision. Mr. Walsh is a brisk and enterprising business man, always working for the best interest of his employers, and consequently stands high in their estimation, as well as in that of his many friends.
JOHN WATERSON, butcher. This enterprising fellow-citizen is a native of Scotland and was born at Edinburgh April 13, 1832. Was reared and educated in his native country, where he resided until 1855, when he came to America, locating at Milwaukee, Wis., where he was identified with the business interests of this city as a butcher for nearly twenty years. In 1873, came to Kansas, locating in Clyde, where he secured a farm and took an active part in the development of that portion of the State. In 1875, he located in Atchison, where he has since been identified with the commercial interests of the city. In 1861, Miss C. Steel became his wife. By this union they have three children - Agnes E., Robert W., Nellie G. Mr. W. is a Royal Arch Mason.
COONRAD WEBER, clothing merchant, was born in Bavaria, city of Offenbach, in the year 1839. He attended school in his native country, and in 1852, with his parents Henry G. and Margaret Weber, emigrated to the United States. Settled on a farm near St. Louis, Mo., where Coonrad W. lived, attending school and working on the farm until seventeen years of age. He then learned the blacksmith's trade, which vocation he followed in and about St. Louis till 1863, when he started in the clothing business at Rolla, Mo., with one B. Loewenstein, but after remaining there one year removed their goods to Atchison, in a small frame building on the corner of Second and Third streets. At the expiration of two years, Mr. Weber bought out his partner, and at the same time took his brother Frederick in with him. In 1868, the building he occupied, on the present site of the Otis House, was destroyed by fire, but Mr. Weber was fortunate enough to save most of his goods. In 1878, moved to his present location, where he keeps a most complete line of goods, and is now the oldest firm in the city. He married in Atchison in 1866, Miss Persela Clits, a native of Pennsylvania, by whom he has five children, two of whom are girls. He has served one term as Councilman, and belongs to both the I. O. O. F. and the K. of H. in this city. Has been a member of the Hook and Ladder Fire Department of Atchison, since its organization, and he and his wife are members of the First congregational Church.
A. WEINMAN, proprietor of the barrel factory, was born in Guttenburg, Germany, November 30, 1831. Received his education in Germany and learned the coopers' trade. In 1853 he came to the United States and followed his trade in New York city, Grand Rapids and Lansing, Mich., until 1859, when he settled in Atchison, Kan. Engaged in the brewery about two years, then established present business. He was married in Ann Arbor, Mich., June 6, 1859, to Miss Kate Breisch, a native of Stuttgart, Germany. They have three children - Louis, Kate, Dora. Mr. W. is a member of Schiller Lodge, No. 33, I. O. O. F.
A. WELSH, proprietor of cracker factory, was born in London, England, June 23, 1842, came to the United States in 1850 with his parents, and settled in St. Louis, Mo., where he was educated and learned his trade, commencing at the age of eighteen. In 1869, he settled in Wyandotte, Kan., and worked at his trade in Kansas City until 1876, when he went into business for himself. In 1878, he moved to Atchison, Kan., and established the present business. He was married in Wyandotte, Kan., in October, 1872, to Miss Serena Barnett of that city. They have four children - Joseph, Stella, Walter and Alfred Jr. Mr. W. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Wyandotte.
CHARLES WELLS, first located in Concordia, Kansas, in 1870, where he remained five years. In the fall of 1875 he removed to Atchison, in which city he has since resided, engaged in the practice of law. In 1874 and 1875 he was a member of the Legislature, and has been County Attorney for the last four years. He was admitted to the bar in 1865, in Monmouth, Ill., and since his arrival in Kansas has been constantly engaged in his professional duties. Mr. Wells is a native of Painesville, Ohio.
ROBERT F. WETZEL, butcher, prominently identified in the city of Atchison. He is a native of Germany and was born in Saxon, October 25, 1836. Learned his trade and resided in Germany until 1856, when he came to the United States, locating in Port Washington, Wis.; was also a resident of Madison, Wis., for one year, and for a time at Dubuque, Iowa. He eventually went to New Orleans, and the winter of '57 and '58 was butcher for the company in the construction of the Tehuantepec R. R. extending from the Gulf to the Pacific Ocean. He remained in Mexico about nine months, and upon returning to the States located in Chicago, Ill., there residing until 1864, when he came to Atchison, and has since figured conspicuously in the growth and development of the city, being actively engaged in trade. For some time was proprietor of a vineyard in Atchison county. Mr. W. is now serving his fifth year as Councilman, and is President of the Council. During his connection with that body he has been instrumental in doing much towards the interests of Atchison, being Chairman of the Board of Improvements; he worked assiduously for the present system of waterworks, and the organizing of a first-class Fire Company. He is a gentleman possessing excellent judgement, and commands the respect of all. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Schiller Lodge, No. 33; also the Turners, and the K. of P. He has been representative to the Grand Encampment of the I. O. O. F., and is Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Turners. He married in 1862, Miss Antonia David; by this union they have seven children - Wilford, Maurice, Amelia, Gustave, Ida, Robert, Antonia.