|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ACERS - HUBBARD).
NELSON F. ACERS was born on a farm in Kane County, Ill., on March 4, 1839. He is the son of Roswell W. Acers, now living at Iola. In 1855, he removed to Geneva with his parents, and there he had the advantage of the common schools of the town for four years. He then entered the Michigan University where he studied for some time, but before graduating he returned home to begin the study of law. After studying for one year in the office of Major J. H. Mayborne, at Geneva, he entered the law department of the Albany University where he graduated in the spring of 1862, and was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court. He then returned to Geneva and began the practice. He was married September 23, 1863, to Ellen A. Conant, daughter of Wm. Conant, a merchant of Geneva. In the spring of 1865 he came to Allen County, Kas., located at Iola, and began the practice of his profession, which he continued until August, 1876 meeting with good success. He was elected Attorney of Allen County in 1866, and re-elected in 1868. In the fall of 1874 he was chosen Probate Judge of Allen County, for one term. He was nominated on the Democratic ticket, in the fall of 1882, as Representative to the United States Congress, in opposition to Hon. D. C. Haskell, the Republican nominee. Mr. Acers made a strong race for the office, and was defeated by the small plurality of 3,485 votes. In July, 1868, he became associated with Judge H. W. Talcott in the publication of the Register, at Iola. In the fall of 1869 he sold his interest in the paper to his partner. In the summer of 1868 Roswell W. Acers followed his son to Kansas and settled in Iola. In 1872 a company was formed in Iola, for the purpose of digging for coal. Of this company, both Acers were members. While drilling for this purpose they struck a mineral spring, a description of which will be found in the general county history. In the spring of 1874, Nelson F. Acers and his father purchased the interest of the other stockholders in the well; also six acres of land surrounding it. On this they built a hotel, several cottages; set out trees for shade and ornament, and it is now quite a fashionable summer resort.
W. G. ALLISON, Probate Judge, was born at Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind., June 25, 1840. He learned the trade of printer there, and followed that occupation for some years. On July 1, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Seventh Indiana Volunteer infantry, serving until the close of the war. Returning to his home in Indiana, he again followed the printing business and also read law for several years. In March, 1871, he came to Kansas, located at Iola, and in company with others, published the Iola Register until early in 1876. In the fall of 1875 he was elected Probate Judge, entering upon the duties of the office in January, 1876; he was re-elected in 1877, 1879 and 1881. Judge Allison is a leading member of G. A. R. McCook Post No. 51, and was commander of the post during 1882.
ANDERSON & DE CLUTE, dealers, in clothing, books and shoes, etc. This firm is composed of William W. Anderson and C. H. De Clute. They are natives of Coldwater, Mich., where they had a large experience in this branch of trade. In October, 1879, coming to Kansas, they located in Iola, and engaged in their present business with a stock of $2,000. They have a large and constantly increasing trade, to supply the demands of which they now carry a stock valued at $8,000. This firm have a fine store room in the Iola Opera House Block, and are members of the Opera House Association, Mr. De Clute being secretary of that body, and Mr. C. M. Charlotte treasurer.
G. W. APPLE, photographer, was born in Claremont County, Ohio, in 1828. Four years later his parents moved to Marion County, Ind., where he was reared on a farm. In 1847 he enlisted in the Fourth Ohio Infantry and served through the Mexican War, after which he learned the trade of chair-maker at Dayton, and followed that occupation until 1851, when he went to California and there engaged in mining pursuits. In 1857 he began the study of photography in San Francisco, and three years later went to Mexico and engaged in his profession. Early in 1862 he returned to Indiana. During the War of the Rebellion he followed the army, in the capacity of a photographer, until the surrender of Vicksburg, December, 1863, when he returned home and opened a gallery at Indianapolis. He came to Iola, Kan., in December, 1867, and at once established a photograph gallery. He has been very successful and has accumulated considerable property. Mr. Apple was for six years member of the City Council and Mayor of Iola for one year.
JOHN W. BALE, farmer and dealer in live stock, Section 18, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Hart County, Ky., in 1844, and during his youth assisted his father in farming. On September 15, 1861, he enlisted in the Fifteenth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; he was wounded in the right hand at the battle of Chickamauga, and served until January 17, 1865. In April, 1867, he came to Kansas, resided for a few months in Leavenworth, and in October came to Allen County, locating of this farm, which consists of eighty acres well improved. He also has 172 acres in Humboldt Township and has for the past twelve years been largely engaged in buying and shipping live stock, is also an extensive raiser of cattle, etc. Mr. Bale was for eighteen months Deputy under Sheriff Hodson, of this County. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M., and is one of the officers of Valley Chapter, at Humboldt. He was married in Hart County, Ky., October 29, 1866, to Amanda Defever. They have a family of two children, James W. and Frank F.
T. M. BARTELS, dealer in groceries, queens ware, etc., was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, September 14, 1850. He resided for some years in Bureau County, Ill., and in July, 1860, came to Kansas with his father, Christian B., whom he assisted in farming in Iola Township. In 1873 he moved to the city of Iola and engaged in the harness and saddlery business, in company with his brother, William L. Bartels, with whom he continued for about two years. He then engaged in his present business, in partnership with E. Richards, who retired from the firm two years afterward. Mr. B. has a large trade and carries a stock worth $2,000.
WILLIAM L. BARTELS, manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddlery, etc., was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1842. At eight years of age he removed with his parents to Bureau County, Ill., where he worked afterward at the harness-maker's trade. In the spring of 1860 he came to Kansas and located at Humboldt. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company G. Ninth Kansas Cavalry, serving until January 16, 1865, after which he followed agricultural pursuits in Iola Township for about five years. In 1870 he returned to Humboldt and was employed as a harness-maker until 1875, when he came to Iola and embarked in the business on his own account, following it for six years. For sixteen months he was engaged in the grocery business, and in January, 1883, he again began the manufacture of harness, etc. He carries a stock of about $2,000, and has the leading trade in that line. In April, 1881, he was elected Mayor of the City of Iola, and is an active member of the Masonic fraternity.
BEATTY BROTHERS, undertakers and dealers in furniture. This firm is composed of J. T. and D. R. Beatty. They are natives of Canada, and when young, their parents removed to California, where both followed sheep farming for about ten years. In January, 1878, they came to Allen County, Kas., and followed agricultural pursuits in Osage Township. In June, 1879, they moved to Iola, and for a year, conducted a meat market, after which they built their handsome brick and stone store-building, and embarked in this business. They began with a stock of $1,000, and business has increased until they now carry $3,000 to $4,000, to supply the demands of their trade. J. T. Beatty is a member of the City Council.
A. W. BECK, dealer in agricultural implements, grain, etc., was born in Crawford County, Ohio, in 1845. At the age of seventeen years, he began business life, as a clerk, at Sandusky, being engaged in that capacity for three years. For a time he carried on the livery business at Crestline, in the same State. In May, 1870, he came to Kansas, locating a few months later at Iola, where he engaged in general speculation, until 1872, when he embarked in the grocery business. Two years later, he added a stock of drugs, and two year after disposed of his business interest and located on a farm in Elm Township, where he was engaged in stock raising, until March, 1882. For the past ten years he has been engaged in the grain business, and in the winters of 1876 and 1877, he also carried on an extensive coal trade at Iola. In 1875, he embarked in the implement business, and carries a stock of from $3,000 to $4,000 of all kinds of farming machinery, wagons, buggies, etc. Mr. Beck still owns a fine farm consisting of eighty acres.
DR. C. H. BOULSON, homoeopathist, was born in Germany, in 1832, and at the age of fourteen years, immigrated with his parents to Jackson, N. J., where he assisted his father in blacksmithing. At the age of twenty years, he began the study of medicine, with Dr. Richmond, of Melville, with whom he remained three years, and afterward attended Hahnemann Medical College at Philadelphia, where he graduated in 1859. The Doctor practiced in Pittsburgh, PA., for about ten years, at Booneville, Ind., for three years, and had charge of mineral springs at Ottawa, Ill., until April, 1877, when he removed to Kansas, located at Iola, and has continued to practice with good success. On account of his immense practice, he has lately admitted his son, James C., as an assistant.
BRINKERHOFF BREWSTER, deceased, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., in 1834, where he was employed in mercantile pursuits. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1857, located in Geneva, Allen County, where he remained for about a year, returning to New York. In 1860, he again located in Iola, Allen County, and engaged in the mercantile business, also opening an Indian trading post at Osage mission. About 1876, he disposed of his merchandise business and opened a loan and real estate business, which he carried on through an agent. Mr. B. returned to Wayne County, N. Y., where he resided for some eight years, returning to Iola in 1876, after traveling two years for his health. He died at Canon City, Col., February 15, 1878 and was buried in his native State. Mr. B. was married at Iola, June 26, 1864, to Maria L., daughter of John M. Cowan, an early settler of this State. His widow and children occupy a pleasant residence, north of Iola.
DANIEL C. BRUBAKER, of D. C. Brubaker & Son, dealers in general groceries, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, in 1818, where, for some years after reaching the age of manhood, he carried on a farm, then engaged in same capacity in Wabash County, Ind., for several years, and for six years in La Salle County, Ill. He came to Allen County, Kas., in September, 1859, pre-empted 160 acres in Iola Township, and opened up a farm on which he resided some twelve years. In 1872, he moved to the town of Iola, and embarked in grocery business, continuing it for two years, and during that period he engaged in the livery business, which he conducted about four years, after which he again gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, for about two years. In the fall of 1882, he erected a fine brick and stone building at Iola, and in the spring of 1883, engaged in his present business in company with his son, Lemar H. Brubaker. They carry a nice stock of about $2,000. During the late war, Mr. B. was for three years Wagon Master in the First United States Indian Regiment.
J. J. CASMIRE, of the firm of J. J. Casmire & Son, dealers in hardware, stoves and tin-ware. Mr. Casmire was born in Germany in 1835, and when eight years of age his parents immigrated to Ohio. He learned the tinners trade at Ravenna Portage Co., Ohio and followed it in that State and Illinois, as a journeyman. In the spring of 1865, he came to Iola, Kansas, and engaged in the hardware business in partnership with F. F. Meister with whom he continued for five years. In 1872 he was joined by W. M. Hartman, whose interest he purchased some eight or nine years later, and took into partnership his son, B. A. Casmire. This is the oldest established hardware house in the city of Iola. The firm do an extensive business and carry a stock of $6,000. Both members of the firm are practical tinners, the senior having had thirty-three years experience.
HON. JOHN A. CHRISTY, Justice of the Peace, was born in Fleming County, Ky., in 1812 and was reared on a farm. In 1831 he went to Illinois and served one year in the Black Hawk war. Returning to Kentucky he followed agricultural pursuits for eighteen years. During his residence there he was Sheriff of Fleming County two years, Constable two years, and Captain of Militia seven years. Returning to Illinois he followed agricultural pursuits in Hancock and Grundy counties, and for four years was Justice of the Peace in the latter named county. In May, 1860, he came to Allen County, Kansas, and located in Deer Creek Township, where he was engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1867, he moved to Wyandotte County, where he resided on a farm and was Justice of the Peace for four years. In 1871 he returned to his Allen County farm, and in 1879 removed to the city of Iola. Mr. Christy owns 320 acres of improved land and is quite extensively engaged in stock raising. In 1864 he was elected to represent his district in the State Legislature, and was instrumental in locating the county seat at Iola. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace in this county for five years and was Police Judge one term.
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN CLARK, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Iola, was born in Switzerland County, Ind., in 1839, and reared on a farm. He came to Allen County in March, 1858, and located on Rock Creek, where he farmed with his father, John Clark. Shortly after the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the Second Kansas Infantry, but was not mustered, and on September 30, 1861, he was mustered into the Third Kansas, afterwards transferred to the Fifth Kansas Infantry. He served about three years, after which he again gave his attention to agricultural pursuits in the county. In 1869 he removed to Neosho County where he continued farming until in the spring of 1882, when he returned to Allen County, and located on this farm. Mr. Clark raises considerable cattle and hogs, and has a nice farm of 160 acres, well improved. He was married in Allen County, December 27, 1864, to Emina J. Castator, and they have a family of four children.
REV. THEODORE C. COFFEY, pastor of the First Baptist Church, was born in Monroe County, Ind., November 11, 1847. He was prepared for college at Ladoga (Ind.) Seminary, in which he taught one year. Then entered Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, Ill., where he graduated as Bachelor of Arts in 1871, and then as Bachelor of Divinity in 1874. Mr. Coffey was ordained in the Baptist ministry at Tuscola, Ill., where he became pastor in October, 1874. In 1875 he supplied the Upper Alton Baptist Church, and was pastor at Kirkwood, suburb of St. Louis, in 1876, and at Appleton, Wis., for more than two years. He came to Burlington, Kansas, in January, 1880, where he was pastor, and in December, 1880, came to Iola and entered upon his present duties.
JOSIAH F. COLBORN, retired merchant, was born in Noblesville, Ind., February 7, 1829, removing with his parents when quite young to Clay County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm. At the age of eighteen years he was apprenticed to the blacksmithing trade. In 1850 he crossed the plains to California where he remained two and a half years, employed in teaming, mining and working at his trade. Returning to Clay County, Ill., he embarked in mercantile business at Lewisville. Mr. Colborn came to Kansas October 24, 1857; located in Allen County and took up a claim (on this claim is now located the city of Iola); for a year he followed agricultural pursuits; then for a time conducted a blacksmith shop. In 1862 he engaged in mercantile business, following it as a clerk until the fall of 1865, when he engaged in general merchandise business in partnership with N. Hankins. Two years later he purchased his partner's interest and conducted the business alone until 1882, when he closed out. He is now engaged in building and improving his property, etc. Mr. Colborn was a member of the first Board of Supervisors of Allen County, and for the past three years has been Treasurer of Iola Township. He is a leading member of the Masonic fraternity in this county.
ROBERT COOK, breeder of registered Poland-China hogs, Section 35, P. O. Iola, was born in New Jersey, in 1826, and five years later his parents moved to Warren County, Ohio, where his father carried on a stock farm. In 1853, the subject of this sketch began breeding Poland-China hogs in that county and carried on an extensive business in that line, shipping his pigs to all parts of the United States. Also raised Short-horn cattle. He came to Iola Township, Allen County, in the fall of 1872, bringing with him a car load of fine stock, and at once established himself in the business. In the summer of 1873 he moved onto his present farm, about a half mile south of the town of Iola, where he has thirty-seven acres fitted up for breeding purposes. His place is called Mound Villa. Among his breeders are the famous females Kate Franklin, Kate Gilespie, Kate Gilespie Second, and Belle of Kansas; males, Star of Kansas, Cook's U. S. Ohio Second, and many others, all fine registered stock. He has also a fine herd of Short-horned cattle. Mr. Cook is doing a large business, shipping hogs for breeding purposes east, west, north and south. His hogs have taken many premiums at fairs in this State. Mr. Cook is an experienced breeder. He is a member of the Ohio Poland-China Record Association, and was one of the vice-presidents during 1881.
JAMES W. COUTANT, manager for S. A. Brown & Co., dealers in lumber, etc., was born in Ulster County, N. Y., December 4, 1833, and there he learned the carpenter's trade, and in 1856 he moved to Green Lake County, Wis., where he worked at his trade, and was also for a time at Natchez, Miss. In August, 1859, he came to Kansas and located at Fort Scott, and for twenty years carried on business as a contractor and builder. He was for four years a member of the Ft. Scott City Council, and also served one term as Assessor. In August, 1879, he came to Iola, and at once entered upon his present duties. During the Rebellion Mr. Coutant served in the Kansas State Militia. He is a prominent member of the A. O. U. W., and also of the K. of H.
W. A. COWAN, merchant, was born in Pulaski County, Ind., December 9, 1842, and reared on a farm. On June 21, 1860, he came to Allen County, Kansas with his father, John M. Cowan, who located in Iola. The subject of our sketch learned the trade of cabinetmaker, and followed that occupation for a livelihood. During the late war he served in the Kansas State Militia. In 1867 he engaged in the grocery business, continuing, however, in that line only for one year. Was then deputy-postmaster at this place for about twelve months, after which he was employed in the grocery business for four years. In 1873 he embarked in the grocery business in company with W. H. Richards. Six years later he sold out his interest in that firm and built a fine store building and engaged in business alone. He carries a fine stock of groceries and drugs and does a large trade. He is also agent for the Pacific Express Company. Mr. Cowan was Clerk of Iola Township for eight years, and a member of the City Council for a year.
W. A. CUMMINGS, proprietor of the Allen County real estate agency, was born at Howard, Parke County, Ind., November 23, 1855. Twelve years later his parents moved to Rockville, Ind., and in the fall of 1869 they came to Allen County, Kansas, locating on a farm at Carlyle. The subject of our sketch assisted in conducting the farm for some seven years. From 1876 to 1882 he taught in the public schools, in 1879 and 1880 reading law, at intervals, in Iola. In May, 1882, he purchased his present business. Mr. C., although comparatively a young man, is well liked in the community, and is building up quite a nice business. He acts as real estate, loan and insurance agent.
W. E. DAVIS & CO., proprietors of the Iola water mills. W. E. Davis, of this firm, was born in Marietta, Ohio, in 1839, and was reared at Ottumwa, Iowa, where his father was engaged in farming and milling. He came to Kansas in 1867, located in Allen County, near Iola, and engaged in milling in company with his father, E. S. Davis, and his brother George S. This firm ran a steam saw and grist mill. About 1876 the firm style changed to W. E. Davis & Co., composed of W. E. and George S. Davis, and Elias Bruner. In June, 1880, they built their present mills, one mile west of Iola. The mill runs two buhrs on wheat and one on corn, manufacturing about $8,000 pounds of flour per day and 150 bushels of cornmeal. The machinery is run by a wheel of fifty-four horse power, and they have an abundance of water. This firm have an excellent reputation for the flour they manufacture, and their principal brands, the Peerless, Standard, and Boss, are widely known throughout the surrounding counties. W. E. Davis attends principally to the outside business and to the conducting of the saw-mill. His brother, George S. Davis, is the practical miller of the concern. He was born at Marietta, Ohio, in March, 1845, and learned his business with his father at Ottumwa, Iowa, and here. Elias Bruner, the third member of the firm, is a practical engineer of many years' experience.
S. T. ELLIS, proprietor Iola livery and sale stables, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1834. He learned the trade of printer at Mount Vernon, that county, and in 1854 moved to Dane County, Wis. There he carried on a farm, and for a short time worked at his trade. Three years later he emigrated to Shelby County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits. On November 10, 1868, he came to Allen County, Kan., located on a farm near Iola, and conducted it for six years. Removing to Iola, he carried on a meat market for four years, since which time he has been engaged in buying and selling horses, mules, etc. In July, 1881, he purchased his present stables. He does quite an extensive business, and has in his stables twelve to sixteen good roadsters.
JOHN EVERHART, of Richards & Everhart, contractors and builders, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1833, where he learned the trade of cabinetmaker, and followed the trade as a journeyman in Steuben County, Ind., and Kane County, Ill. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, and served twenty-eight months. Mr. Everhart came to Iola, Kansas, in April, 1871, and has since been engaged in contracting for general building work. He has been associated with his present partner, John Richards, for about four years. Mr. E. is a fine workman, and has had many years' practical experience, both as a cabinetmaker and as a builder.
JESSE S. FAST, Register of Deeds, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in April, 1837. At the age of seventeen years he lost his left leg in a railroad accident. He was employed, previous to coming to this State, in teaching school, clerking, etc., in Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. In November, 1868, he came to Kansas, located in Allen County, near Humboldt, and followed agricultural pursuits, also carried on quite extensive dairy business. He still owns his farm there, consisting of eighty acres, nicely improved. He was elected Register of Deeds in the fall of 1877, and entered upon the duties of the office in January, 1878. He was re-elected in 1879 and 1881.
GEORGE W. FRENCH, M. D., studied medicine at the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1856 and '57, and later at the Chicago Medical College, where he graduated in 1870. He has practiced in all about twenty-five years, being located in Franklin County, Illinois, Lincoln, Nebraska, Logansport, Indiana, and in Iola since the latter part of 1882. During the late Rebellion he was for eighteen months in the employ of the United States Military Government, as a surgeon, and is a physician of excellent reputation.
JOHN C. GORDON, attorney at law, was born near Monmouth, Warren Co., Ill., August 12, 1860, and came with his parents to Allen County, Kas., March 25, 1870. For five years he worked on the farm of his father, in Osage Township, Allen Co., Kas. In 1875 he commenced teaching school, and followed teaching for three years. In the year of 1878 he commenced reading law, and some time during the year 1879 he entered the office of Judge H. W. Talcott, and was admitted to practice in the District Courts of the State of Kansas at Iola, the 12th day of December, 1881, since which time he has followed his profession at this place with good success. Mr. Gordon was associated in the practice of his profession from the spring of 1881, until January 10, 1883, with J. H. Fisher, now Assistant County Attorney. Mr. Gordon is a charter member of the K. of P. Lodge of this place.
DR. WILLIAM SPINKS HENDRICKS, son of Rev. John Hendricks, was born in Randolph County, N. C., March 31, 1828. During his boyhood he was put to a trade. At the age of twenty-one he determined to obtain a more liberal education, and accordingly borrowed the money with which he took a two year academy course. In the year 1852 he moved to Henry County, Ind., making the entire distance on horseback and alone. For the two first years after reaching Indiana he taught school. In 1854 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Luther W. Hess, with whom he continued for two years. He then practiced for two and a half years at Markleville, in Madison Co., Ind. In June, 1858, he married Nancy Manzy, of Rush County, Ind., with whom he has lived up to the present time. From Madison County he moved to Blountsville, Henry Co., Ind., where he continued to practice for about twelve years. During the winters of 1858, '59 and '60 he took two courses of lectures at the Ohio Medical College, graduating in the spring of the latter year. The doctor came to Kansas in April, 1870, located at Iola, the county seat of Allen County, and at once opened an office for the practice of his profession. He was one of the first movers in the cause of temperance in this county, and is to-day an active supporter of prohibition. In 1874 he was nominated on the State Temperance ticket for Treasurer, and in 1880 on the Temperance ticket for Representative from his district. The doctor is a self-made man, a good physician, and of excellent moral character.
HENRY L. HENDERSON, of Henderson & Amrine, dealers in hardware, stoves, etc., was born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1846, reared on a farm, and for a year taught school. He studied at the University of Wooster for several years and graduated in 1871; afterwards taught school in Vermillion Institute, Haysville, Ohio, for a year, and at the University of Wooster for the same length of time. In August, 1873, he came west to Allen County, Kan., taught for one year in the Geneva Academy, and was for a year principal of the Iola schools. In 1875 he went to California and remained for two years in Oakland teaching school. Returning in 1877 to Iola he was again principal of the public schools for a year. In 1878 he engaged in his present business with a stock of about $3,000. In August, 1882, he admitted to a partnership C. Amrine. The firm do a large business, carrying a fine stock of goods worth some $5,000, to supply the demands of their trade.
NIMROD HANKINS, stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Iola, was born in Vermillion County, Ill., March 1, 1831. He followed agricultural pursuits in McDonough and Fulton counties, Ill., until March, 1856, when he immigrated to Kansas. He located in Iola Township, Allen County, and followed farming. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Ninth Kansas Cavalry; in the spring of 1862 he was promoted to First Lieutenant, and served until June, 1865. After the war he was for about a year engaged in mercantile business at Iola, in partnership with J. F. Colborn, after which he moved on to his farm Section 4, Township 25, Range 18. He has 420 acres of improved lands, and is extensively engaged in raising and dealing in live stock. Mr. Hankins was married at Iola, Kan., November 1, 1866, to Elizabeth Case, daughter of Aaron Case, who came to Kansas long before it was thrown open for settlement; they have a family of four living children.
PROF. PLINY H. HARRIS, teacher, came to Kansas in the fall of 1877, located at Iola, Allen Co., and has ever since been prominently identified with the educational interests of the State. He has served as Superintendent and Principal of the Iola public schools ever since he came to the State. Has conducted county institutes in Chautauqua, Brown, Anderson and Woodson Counties. Is an active and influential member of the Kansas State Teachers' Association. Was mover of the resolution to appoint a committee on revision of the Kansas school laws, and served as chairman on that committee. Their report, at present writing, has not been acted upon. He is at the present time serving as special deputy grand chancellor at large, and instituting officer of Knights of Pythias. Was born in Hancock County, Ill., June 4, 1844; son of John and Sophia Harris. His mother's maiden name was Hatchett, and her father and two of her brothers were distinguished ministers of the Christian Church. Prof. Harris entered Abingdon College when only thirteen years of age. He taught his first school when sixteen years of age, and with the exception of eleven months spent in teaching, he attended Abingdon College from the time he entered until he graduated, June 30, 1865. Since his graduation he has taught in the graded schools of Illinois and Kansas. He also conducted seven county institutes in the State of Illinois, and was president of the Pike County Teachers' Association six years. He was at one time editor of the Beacon Educational Journal for two years. In addition to his other professional duties he was actively engaged in ministerial work for about six years in Illinois. Was ordained at Barry, Illinois, by Elder A. C. Lucas, and served two years as pastor of Barry Christian Church. He went to Texas in August, 1873, and while there was correspondent of the Chicago Tribune. He returned to Adams County, Ill., in February, 1875, and finally came to Kansas in the fall of 1877. He was married in Adams County, Ill., April 1867, to Maggie A. Doughty, daughter of Milton and Minerva Doughty. She is a native of Kentucky. By this union he has three children - Arthur Percy, Olive Lillian and Lulu Maud. He belongs to K. of P., I. O. O. F., A. F. & A. M., Knights of Honor, A. O. U. W. and U. O. A. T.
DANIEL HORVILLE, raiser and dealer in live stock, Section 28, P. O. Iola, was born in France in 1823, and immigrated to America in 1845. He located at Lexington, McLean Co., Ill., where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits. In the fall of 1856 he came to Kansas, and in the following spring pre-empted a claim in Iola Township, Allen County, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He moved on to his present farm, near the city of Iola, in 1860. Mr. Horville has in this county about 1,200 acres of land and is an extensive dealer in cattle, etc., and also raises large quantities of live stock. During the late Rebellion he served in the Kansas State Militia. He was a member of the Board of Commissioners of Allen County three consecutive terms of two years each. Mr. Horville is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. at this place, and is a member of Valley Chapter at Humboldt.
SAMUEL F. HUBBARD, deceased, was born in Wilkes County, N. C. He followed agricultural pursuits for some years, then moved to Tennessee, where he carried on general merchandise business for three years. In the spring of 1857 he came to Allen County and pre-empted 160 acres on Section 17, Iola Township, and was extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock raising. Mr. Hubbard took an active part in the educational interest of his district and was for some years a member of the School Board. During the late Rebellion he served in the Kansas State Militia. He was married in Wilkes County, N. C., to Miss Parmelia C. Spencer, a native of that place. He died in Allen County, Kan., in February, 1870, leaving five children. His widow still resides on the old homestead and carries on the farm which consists of 360 acres.