|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
CHARLES ADAMS, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Ireland in 1835, and four years later immigrated with his parents to Quebec, Can., thence to Detroit, Mich., and some years later to Illinois. He was for some years employed in steam boating on the Illinois and Mississippi rivers. In 1860 he settled in Miami County, Ohio, where he farmed for five years, then in Bureau County, Ill., engaged in the same capacity. He came to Allen County, Kas., in March, 1870, and located on his present farm, which consists of 100 acres of finely improved land, seventy-five of which is under cultivation, and he has a nice orchard of about five acres. Mr. Adams is quite an extensive stock-raiser. He was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1860, to Addie B. Hogan, and they have a family of ten children.
RICHARD CLINCHY, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Humboldt, is a native of Ireland, and immigrated to the city of New York in 1858 where he was engaged in the wool business, carrying on a large trade until he disposed of the same and came to Allen County, Kan., in August, 1879, at which time he located on his present farm. Mr. C. is one of the largest land owners in this section of country. He has some 900 acres and is an extensive stock-raiser. His farm is finely improved, with a magnificent residence, good farm building and a nice orchard.
MILTON HAWLEY, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 2, 1834, was reared on a farm. In 1858 he moved to Cedar County, Iowa, where he followed agricultural pursuits for a time, then in the same capacity in Johnson County. In October, 1869, he moved to Saline County, Mo., and in 1870 came to Kansas, locating, in February, 1871, in this township, and has since been engaged in farming and raising stock. In 1876 he moved on to his present farm, which consists of 160 acres, all well improved, and on which there is a fine orchard of about four acres. Mr. Hawley is one of the enterprising men of his neighborhood. He has filled many of the local offices, and in 1875 was elected a member of the Board of County Commissioners, which office he filled two years.
LEONARD B. PEARSON, farmer, Section 30, Township 25, Range 19, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Belleville, Jefferson Co., N. Y., July 2, 1832; learned the blacksmith trade with his father. At the age of eighteen years he took to sailing on the lakes and followed that occupation off and on for ten years, during which period he educated himself. In 1861 he came west to Du Page County, Ill., where he was for a time engaged in company with his brother in the manufacture of edge tools, and also taught school. Mr. Pearson served his country during the late war. He enlisted May 10, 1864, in Company C, One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served some seven months. He came to Kansas November 22, 1870, and located in Allen County, since which time he has followed agricultural pursuits. He moved on to his present farm in November, 1872. He has 320 acres all improved, and raises considerable stock. He occupies the position of historian in the Old Settlers Association of his township. Mr. P. was married at Downer's Grove, Du Page County, Ill., March 25, 1867, to Jane C. Dixon. They have four children.
JOSEPH W. PINE, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Frederick County, Va., in 1830. He learned the trade of blacksmith in Berkley County, and worked at it there until 1858, when he moved to Muscatine County, Iowa, where for ten years he carried on a blacksmith shop. In May, 1866, he came to Allen County, Kan., and located on his present farm. He has a finely improved place consisting of some 400 acres, on which there are good stone fences, fine orchards and residence. He also to some extent follows blacksmithing in connection with agricultural pursuits, and is a large raiser of cattle and hogs. Mr. Pine is one of the representative men of his township; he is a staunch Democrat and is President of the Old Settlers Association of his township.
COTTAGE GROVE TOWNSHIP.
JOHN DAY, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Parke County, Ind., December 21, 1840, and reared on a farm. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-First Indiana Infantry, and served three years, after which he followed agricultural pursuits in Parke County. He came to Allen County, Kan., in October, 1869, and located on his present farm, which consists of 160 acres, all well improved. He has a nice orchard and raises general farming stock. Mr. Day is one of the enterprising men of his township, and has filled many of the local offices.
JAMES A. GARRETT, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Humboldt, is a native of Highland County, Ohio. Moved to Polk County, Iowa, in 1847, where he owned a farm of 187 acres within five miles of Des Moines. In 1852 he went to California, where for four years he followed mining pursuits; in 1856 returned home. In 1860 went to Colorado and engaged in mining; returned in autumn of same year, and followed farming until 1867, when he sold his farm and bought ten acres near Kansas City, Mo., and engaged in horticulture. He sold out in August, 1879, and located on his present farm, which consists of 226 acres all improved - 150 acres under cultivation, balance in pasture and meadow.
LYLE A. GARRETT, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Highland County, Ohio, March 18, 1823, and was reared on a farm. At twenty-four years of age he moved to Polk County Iowa, where he was employed at farming, and in 1852 immigrated to California, and for four and a half years was engaged in ranching and mining pursuits; returning east to Polk County, Iowa, he again gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. On August 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Twenty-third Iowa Infantry, was promoted to First Lieutenant in October, 1863, and served in all three years. In 1867 he came west to Missouri, locating near Kansas City, where he carried on a fruit farm of ten acres. Mr. Garrett came to Allen County, Kan., in May, 1879, and purchased his present farm; he has 345 acres, 165 of which are in cultivation and four in orchard, besides which he is an extensive stock-raiser, making a specialty of that business.
JOHN GEISSLER, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Humboldt, was born at St. Louis, Mo., in 1843, and reared in Madison County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits. He came to Allen County, Kans., in the spring of 1866, and took up a homestead in this township; on which he resided for one year, then moved on to his present farm, which consists of 160 acres, seventy of which are in cultivation, and he raises considerable live stock. On his place is a nice stone residence, and he has two acres of fruit trees, grape vines, etc. Mr. Geissler was married in Allen County, Kan., in 1868, to Caroline Ott; their family consists of seven children, all born in this county.
IRA W. NOYES, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Humboldt, was born at Oxford, Me., in 1849, moving with his parents to Sauk County, Wis., in 1855, from thence to Iowa, and then resided in Lawrence and Barton counties, Mo. In May, 1862, he came to Kansas, locating in Neosho County with his father, David B. Noyes, and in the spring of 1864 came to Allen County, since which time he has resided on his present farm, which consists of eighty acres, all well improved. He has served three years as Clerk of the township, and in the spring of 1882 was elected Trustee and re-elected in 1883. Mr. Noyes was married in Neosho County, Kan., in March, 1877, to Elmira J. Wheatley, and their family consists of four children.
JACOB M. PHEBUS, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Carl County, Ind., in 1837, and reared in Madison County, Iowa, where his parents removed shortly after his birth; there he followed agricultural pursuits, and was employed in same capacity in Cass County. In 1855 he moved to Otoe County, Neb., where he farmed until May, 1867, when he came to Allen County, Kan., and located on his present farm. He has in all 120 acres of land, sixty-five of which are in cultivation and four in orchard. He is also an extensive breeder of hogs. Mr. Phebus was Justice of the Peace in this township for two years. He was married in Cass County, Neb., in 1859, to Mary Lewis, they have a family of four children.
HON. SAMUEL J. STEWART, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Miami County, Ohio, March 28, 1833, and ten years later his people moved to Champaign County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm. He came to Allen County, Kan., April &, 1856, and located on his present farm. He has now 410 acres of land, all well improved, 200 of which are in cultivation, and five in orchard. His principal business is the manufacture of cheese, which he carries on quite extensively, and is the only one engaged in that line in this county. He was elected a member of the First Free-state Territorial Legislature of Kansas, in 1857. During the late war, he took an active part in raising men, and on August 7, 1861, enlisted in Company G, Fourth Kansas Infantry. He was appointed First Lieutenant at once. His company was afterwards consolidated into Company H, of the Tenth Kansas, and on February 2, he was promoted to Captain, serving until mustered out, August 18, 1864. The Captain was elected in November, 1882, to represent his district in the State Legislature. He has for many years been a member of the A. F. & A. M., at Humboldt. The subject of this sketch was married at Monticello, Platt Co., Ill., in 1868, to Miss Emma Heath; they have six children, all born here.
This town is the county seat of Allen County, and is pleasantly located in the level valley of the Neosho River, on the west side of that stream, and on the north side of Elm Creek, nearly at the confluence of the two streams. The town is situated a short distance northwest of the center of the county. The railroad connections are by the Kansas City, Lawrence & Kansas Southern railroad, running through the county form north to south, and the Fort Scott & Wichita railroad extending across the county from east to west.
The population of the town, according to the census of 1882, was 1,070, but this has increased largely during the past year. The different branches of business are well represented, and a large trade is carried on. The buildings are of a very good class and compare favorably with those of other of the older Kansas towns.
The history of Iola begins with the year 1859. After the location of the county seat at Humboldt, by the legislature of 1858, there was a great deal of dissatisfaction, and a number of citizens of the county selected the present site of Iola, with the intention of ultimately securing the county capital.
On January 1, 1859, a large meeting of the citizens of the northern and central portions of the county, was held at the Deer Creek schoolhouse, near the residence of J. C. Clark. It was determined to organize a town company, which was immediately done. A constitution was then adopted and officers elected. J. W. Scott was president; John Hamilton, vice-president; J. M. Perkins, secretary; James McDonald, treasurer; A. G. Carpenter, B. L. G. Stone and H. D. Parsons, directors. The town company numbered between fifty and sixty members. Among them were Wm. C. Keith, W. H. Cochrane, J. C. Redfield, D. Horville, J. C. Clark, Simon Camerer, J. F. Colborn, L. E. Rhodes, James Faulkner, Eli Lawrence, W. M. Brown, N. Hankins, W. F. Brooks, John A. Hart, J. F. Cornell, Carlyle Faulkner, J. M. Faulkner, J. B. Lambkin, M. A. Simpson, J. C. Parsons, Rufus Perkins, H. D. Parsons, Wm. Lewis, A. Case.
The officers of the company after due consideration of different points selected a site for the proposed town, about two miles north of Cofachique, at the confluence of Elm Creek and the Neosho River. The site was owned in part by J. F. Colborn and W. H. Cochrane. The claims on two quarter-sections were bought, and were soon after surveyed into lots by A. G. Carpenter.
The town company worked hard to get the town started. A meeting was held to choose a name. Several were proposed, and the choice was determined by ballot. Some one had proposed the name Iola, which was the Christian name of the wife of J. F. Colborn. As a result of the vote, this name was chosen.
Meetings of the company were held every week during the first year and efforts made to induce settlement. By the close of the year a number of lots had been disposed of, several buildings erected, and other improvements made, as all who bought lots were required to make some improvements at once. The residents of Cofachique despairing of making their town a success, joined with Iola, and most of them moved to the new site, all working together in the endeavor to secure the location of the county seat at once.
The first building erected after the town was surveyed was a dwelling completed early in June, 1859, by J. F. Colborn, who had lived on the claim of which the town site formed a part, since 1857. On the completion of the house, Mr. Colborn and his family moved into it, thus being the first settlers in the town of Iola.
The first sermon was preached in the unfinished residence of J. F. Colborn, in May, 1859, by Rev. Mr. Hawley, a Methodist minister. He was soon followed by Rev. Nathan Taylor, a minister of the same denomination. In 1860, religious services were also held, under the leadership of Rev. E. K. Lynn, a minister of the Presbyterian Church.
The post office for the neighborhood had previously been at Cofachique, and Aaron Case was Postmaster, but in 1859, the office was removed to Iola, Case still being Postmaster, though James Faulkner attended to it, as his deputy, until he was appointed to the office a short time after.
In 1860, a number of buildings were erected, and the population increased to about one hundred and fifty. Two more stores were opened - a dry goods store, by D. B. Bayne, and a grocery, by J. M. Cowan.
The improvements of 1860 were nearly all made in the spring and early summer. In the latter part of the year the effects of the drought were so badly felt, in addition to failing to secure the county seat, that business became very dull, and for a time all of the citizens were much discouraged.
In 1861 the war broke out, and as nearly every able-bodied man in Iola, as well as the county, had entered the army there was no chance for improvement; and until the close of the war, in 1865, the town grew to be no larger than it was in 1860.
In 1865, after the return of the citizens from the army at the close of the war, the town began to improve steadily, and so continued until the year 1870, at which time it was incorporated as a city, and having secured the L., L. & G. R. R., rapid strides were made for the next two years in the improvement of the town. Several manufacturing establishments were in project, and some of them were built.
Among other heavy institutions at that time, was the King Bridge Manufacturing Company, which located the Bridge shops at Iola, in 1871. In January of that year, the city voted bonds of $50,000 to secure the location of the shops, which were built at once, and were large and substantial structures of stone, costing upward of $32,000, and by July of that year, work was commenced. For some time large numbers of men were employed, and a heavy business was done. But with the monetary panic of 1873, the value of bonds so depreciated that the company failed, and removed their machinery. They received bonds in payment, generally, for their bridges and work, and for this reason the "crash" ruined them. They afterward tried to collect the $50,000 in bonds voted by the city of Iola, but failed in doing so. The buildings and several acres of land on which they were located were sold at Sheriff's sale for $1,100, being purchased by several citizens of Iola. They are still unoccupied, though well adapted for a manufactory for almost any purpose.
During a period, from 1873 to 1876, business in all branches was very dull, and little improvement in the town was made. But since the last-named year, the city has steadily progressed until its present proportions have been attained. The greater number of the best business houses and residences have been built within the last three years. At the present time the town is growing very rapidly, and considerable building is being done by the wealthier and most substantial class of citizens, while several new manufactories of various kinds are in contemplation, and drawing a trade as it does for a radius of several miles, in a quite thickly settled agricultural country, Iola may be said to be one of the most prosperous of Kansas towns.
Iola was incorporated as a city of the third class in March, 1870. The early journal of the city disappeared during the trouble with the King Iron Bridge Company, relative to the payment of the city bonds voted to that company, which has caused some trouble regarding the legality of some of the ordinances and acts said to have been enacted by the first City Council. The city as a corporation is now in a prosperous condition, having no liabilities other than the $26,500 in bonds voted to the Fort Scott & Wichita Railroad. The present city officers are J. W. Scott, Mayor; Wm. P. Northrup, Clerk; A. J. Clark, Treasurer; T. F. Strickland, Marshal. The Council is composed of the following gentlemen: W. G. Allison, J. T. Beatty, C. D. Elliott, W. H. Richards, and L. B. Roach.
The first school in Iola has been mentioned in another place. A public school was at once established, and has since kept pace with the development of the town, new departments being added from time to time as required. There are now eight departments, all in a prosperous condition and under careful and efficient teachers, of whom Prof. C. C. Robbins is principal. The school is kept in two buildings, one a large two-story stone structure, erected in 1868, and has an imposing appearance with its twin towers. The other building is a two-story frame, and situated just south of the stone schoolhouse.
THE PRESS AND OTHER LOCAL MATTERS.
The Allen County Courant was the first paper published at Iola, and was established January 5, 1867, by W. H. Johnson. July 27, 1868, Messrs. Talcott & Acers purchased the concern, and the name of the paper was changed to the Neosho Valley Register. On August 6, of the following year, Mr. Acers sold out to his partner. Mr. Talcott continued the paper until August 24, 1870, when he sold the same to M. M. Lewis. Lewis changed the name to Kansas State Register, and continued until December 10, following, when he retired. Talcott again assumed entire charge of the paper, and changed the name back to Neosho Valley Register. In March, 1871, he sold the concern to G. M. Overstreet, W. G. Allison, and H. W. Perkins, under the firm name of Overstreet & Co. They continued the paper until January 1, 1872, when Overstreet and Perkins sold out to Messrs. Allison and Walker. Louis Walker & Co. conducted the paper for three years, and on January 1, 1875, Messrs. Allison & Perkins took charge. They changed the name to the Iola Register, and continued its publication for two years. January 1, 1877, G. D. Ingersoll purchased Allison's interest, and September 16, 1878, H. A. Perkins bought Ingersoll's interest and became sole proprietor. The paper has been Republican under all its different names and proprietorships. H. A. Perkins continued the publication of the Register until October, 1882, when he sold it to the present proprietors, Scott Bros. & Rohrer, who are making it one of the largest and best weekly papers in the county.
The Presbyterian Church. - The first sermon by a Presbyterian minister was preached in Iola, by Rev. E. K. Lynn, in the fall of 1860, the services being held in the upper part of the old frame building, now known as "the old Colborn store building." Regular services were held by Mr. Lynn until the organization of the Society, June 24, 1864, by Revs. E. K. Lynn, Austin Warner, and Elder J. M. Evans. The original members were Rufus Perkins, John McClure, John N. Covert, Mesdames Jane E. Covert, Hannah J. Bostwick, Elizabeth Parsons, Susan Post, Sarah A. Terrill, Thrasher; Sarah Jones, Longstreet; Effie Twiss; Misses Mildred Terrill, Lizzie Case, and Nancy Terrill.
In 1868 the church was built, being dedicated in September of that year. It is a neat brick structure thirty-five by fifty-five feet in dimension. Since the organization of the society there have been added by letter 140; by profession, 83; dismissed by letter 87; deceased, 13; expelled, 4; removed, 19. The present membership is 115, of which number Sarah Jones and Susan Post are the only original members. Rev. E. S. Miller, the pastor, has had charge of the church since June, 1878.
The First Baptist Church was organized November 20, 1869, by Revs. A. Hitchcock and F. L. Walker, the first named being settled as the pastor. The members were W. D., Nancy and Zerlida Wilson, James Burns, Martha Duff, S. I. Stanher, Sarah E. Rutledge, Mary Stanher, Elizabeth Wilson, Anna Apple, Alfred Foults, and Sabina Weller. There are now eighty members. The erection of the church was begun in September, 1871, and it was dedicated September 1, 1872. Rev. T. C. Coffey, the present pastor, took charge in December, 1880. In 1873 there were over 100 members, which decreased to twenty-five in 1880. The society is now out of debt and in a prosperous condition.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, of Iola, was formerly a part of Deer Creek Circuit. The church was organized during the first year of the history of the town. In 1870 Iola was made a station under charge of Rev. E. A. Graham, and a church thirty-four by fifty feet in dimension was erected, and dedicated, with Rev. D. P. Mitchell, officiating. Then followed a few years of prosperity. In the year 1871, the pastor, W. W. Welsh, reported fifty members and seventy-three probationers and a Sabbath school of 120. In the year 1872, L. M. Hancock was pastor and reported good progress. The years of adversity which came upon the town and the country, affected also the prosperity and growth of the church, yet, at no period was the church without a pastor and regular services, and a Sabbath school was maintained and some degree of prosperity accompanied the work, and in 1880, under the pastoral labors of Rev. D. T. Summerville, the church building was enlarged and otherwise improved at a cost of $1,400, and was re-opened and dedicated November 28, 1880, by Bishop Bowman. There are at present 125 members and a Sabbath school of 100. The church has no debt to carry. It has a comfortable home for the pastor and a good degree of prosperity. Rev. S. S. Weatherby, A. M., is the present pastor.
The Christian Church has an organization in Iola, which is in a prosperous condition. The society has no house of worship, but meetings are held regularly at the court house. Rev. Thomas Bartlett is the pastor in charge.
Iola Lodge, No. 21. I. O. O. F., was instituted February 1, 1866, by a proclamation from the Grand Master of the State, to John A. Hart, Peter Long, H. C. Bostwick, George W. Riley and John P. Arnett. The first meeting was held May 7, 1866, and C. P. Twiss, John Harris, John Francis, Cyrus Simpson, Dennis McCarty and William C. Thrasher were initiated. H. C. Bostwick was elected N. G.; John Harris, V. G.; John Francis, Sec.; W. C. Thrasher, Per. Sec.; and Cyrus Simpson, Treas. The lodge owns a hall, which is well furnished. N. F. Acers is the present noble grand.
Iola Lodge, No. 38, A. F. & A. M. was instituted early in 1863, and chartered on the 20th day of October, the same year. The first officers under the charter were: J. F. Colborn, W. M.; J. Brown, S. W.; H. D. Parsons, J. W.; William Avery, Treas.; B. Brewster, Sec. The other charter members were: C. S. Clark, Daniel Brown, A. W. Thompson, William H. Cochran. The lodge is now in a prosperous condition and has a membership of seventy. The present officers are: A. J. Fulton, W. M.; H. M. Miller, S. W.; L. M. Sawyer, J. W.; J. F. Colborn, Treas.; R. W. Duffy, Sec.
Salem Chapter No. 4, Order of the Eastern Star, was instituted August 7, 1873, with thirty-two members. The first officers were: John Francis, W. P.; Eliza Gillihan, W. M.; Mary Woolomers, A. M.; Nettie Cochran, Treas.; Ruthie Tozer, Sec.
McCook Post, No. 51, Grand Army of the Republic.--Was organized April 10, 1882, with fourteen members. The first officers were W. G. Allison, P. C.; T. S. Stover, adjutant; James Burns, S. V. C.; J. W. McClure, J. V. C. The post has now fifty members, and is in a particularly prosperous condition. The present officers are L. M. Sawyer, P. C.; J. L. Henderson, adjutant.
Iola Lodge, No. 98, Ancient Order United Workmen. - Was instituted April 6, 1882, with sixteen members. The first officers were C. H. Boulson, P. M.; D. B. D. Smeltzer, M. W.; T. T. Anderson, foreman; R. I. Updegraff, Rec.; A. Gifford, F.; L. B. Roach, O.; W. P. Northrup, R. The present officers are D. B. D. Smeltzer, P. M. W.; C. W. McNeal, M. W.; P. Moss, foreman; J. W. Coutant, Rec.; C. H. De Clute, F. The lodge now numbers twenty-five members, and is in a prosperous condition.
Neosho Lodge, No. 43, Knights of Pythias. - This lodge was organized November 9, 1881, with nineteen members, fifteen of whom were named in the charter. The first officers were L. B. Roach, P. C.; B. O. Davidson, C. C.; N. F. Acers, V. C.; P. H. Harris, K. of R. & S.; J. C. Gordon, M. at A.; J. M. McNutt, M. of F.; Charles B. Sheffer, M. of E.; W. P. Northrup, I. G.; A. H. Bumgardner, O. G. The lodge now numbers thirty-five members, and is prosperous. The present officers are B. O. Davidson, P. C.; N. F. Acers, C. C.; R. W. Duffy, V. C.; L. B. Roach, P.; H. a. Perkins, M. at A.; A. Gifford, K. of R. & S.; W. S. Lawrence, M. of F.; W. P. Northrup, M. of E.; D. B. D. Smeltzer, I. G.; A. Brewer, O. G.
Iola Lodge, No. 1902, K. of H. - This lodge was instituted November 29, 1879, and chartered August 19, 1880, with the following members: L. A. Thrasher, J. C. Murray, J. B. Young, H. A. Perkins, W. H. McClure, Morton De Moss, E. D. Brown, I. N. Templin, C. A. Steele, A. P. Brewer, E. J. Thayer, W. D. Chastain, Philip Hutchinson, S. T. Ellis, H. P. Gray, George Burris, and H. W. Talcott.
Iola Temple, No. 9, U. O. A. T. - This temple was instituted December 2, 1878, with the following charter members: I. N. Templin, Dr. W. S. Hendricks, E. D. Brown, P. H. Harris, A. J. Clark, M. L. De Moss, L. D. Hendricks, J. C. Murray, J. H. Vannuys, E. J. Thayer, James Templin, A. M. Clark, S. M. Bell, A. E. Wright, M. De Moss, David Robinson, E. A. Templin, J. K. Boyd, M. L. Brewster, M. A. Murray, W. H. McClure, E. Richardson, J. R. Griffiths, E. A. Vannuys, F. A. Cassidy, A. L. Crosby, Joseph Baker, Mary E. Hayes, Mary Richardson, Samuel Baker, James Cassidy, J. B. Young, Ella F. Cowan, William Davis, Harriet Vanell, J. S. Kline, John Paxton, James Burns, W. J. McDonald, Laura M. Arnett, William J. Huck, L. H. Gorrell, C. A. Steele, John A. Christy, G. M. Bell, Joseph Pike, J. P. Vancil. On the organization of the temple, many entered without taking a mortuary membership, but upon a decision of the Supreme Temple, they either complied or were dropped. The temple now numbers fifty mortuary members, and is in a very prosperous condition. The present officers are William Cowan, P. T.; Dr. W. S. Hendricks, T. and examining surgeon; Mrs. Mary Richardson, V. T.; Mrs. Lizzie Cowan, L.; J. H. Vannuys, Rec.; David Robinson, Treas.; William Davis, F.; Mrs. Harriet Vancil, Mar.; E. Richardson, G.; J. P. Vancil, W.
Iola Mineral Well. - In the fall of 1872, a company was formed in Iola for the purpose of prospecting for coal on the Cochran farm, one-half mile southwest of the public square. Drilling was commenced, and a six-inch bed of coal was discovered at a depth of seventy-five feet. At the depth of 736 feet, a jet of gas and water was struck, which afterward proved of value for its medicinal and curative properties. From this well 10,000 feet of gas issues each day, and is of value for lighting purposes, and is also used for warming the baths that have been established. In the spring of 1874, the well and six acres of land were purchased by R. W. & N. F. Acers, who have made many improvements, opened a hotel, built cottages and bath-rooms, and are making it a summer resort, which is visited by hundreds of invalids, annually, and the water is said to possess curative properties, equal to Eureka, or Hot Springs, of Arkansas. Following is an analysis of the water, by Prof. W. K. Kedzie, of Kansas Agricultural College.
Temperature of Water...................................... 61 deg. Fah. Specific Gravity of Water........................................1.0138 Total mineral matter to the gallon as follows: GRAINS. Chloride of Sodium............................................. 980.506 Chloride of Potassium.......................................... 17.909 Bi-Carbonate of Calcium........................................ 60.687 Bi-Carbonate of Magnesium...................................... 31.942 Bi-Carbonate of Iron........................................... 3.929 Silica......................................................... .602 Organic Matter................................................. 2.000 Suspended Matter............................................... 2.500 Iodides, Abundant Traces. Bromides, Distinct Traces. -------- Total.......................................................1100.075 Cubic Inches of Carbonic Acid Gas to the Gallon................ 145.892Iola Water Flouring Mills are located on the Neosho River; are operated by water power, the site being one of the best on that stream. The mills are owned and carried on by the firm of W. E. Davis & Co., having a capacity of about 150 barrels of flour and feed each day.
Iola Steam Flouring Mills are located in the western part of town, east of the railroad track, near the depot; are operated by steam power. The proprietors are Thayer & Co., and care is taken in the manufacture of fine flour.
Smith's Novelty Works is a new factory established in January, 1883, for the manufactory of locks and other iron and brass works. The machinery, moulds (sic) and furnaces are well adapted to the work, and the new factory opens with excellent prospects for success.
Iola Carriage Shops are owned and operated by William M. Knapp and William Kinsley, and were established in 1882. The shops are in continual operation, and carriages, buggies, sulkies, spring wagons, all light and heavy vehicles are manufactured. This is the largest establishment of the kind in Southern Kansas.
The Banking House of L. L. Northrup is a private bank, which was established in 1869, by L. L. Northrup, who has since continued the business. It is the only institution of the kind in town, and is in a sound condition.