Topography | Early Settlements | Organization | County Roster|
York County Agricultural Society
York: Early history | Incorporation | Schools | First Term of Court|
New York | Local Matters | Elevators | Banks
Nebraska Conference Seminary | Public Schools | Churches
Societies | The Press
3 ~ 5:
ALLAN ~ KNOTT | LANGWORTHY ~ SCOTT
SEDGWICK ~ ZIMMERER
Baker Precinct | Bradshaw: Biographical Sketches|
West Blue Precinct: Church History
Beaver Creek Precinct | North Blue Precinct|
Henderson Precinct: Biographical Sketches
Houston Precinct: Biographical Sketches
Stewart Precinct: | Woodruff Precinct|
List of Illustrations in York County Chapter
Baker Precinct is situated midway on the western tier of precincts. The general formation of the surface is a gentle undulating prairie, well watered by Beaver Creek, which flows through the center, east and west, and Lincoln Creek on the northern edge. The "Old Trail" passed through the southern portion on the divide south of Beaver Creek, winding its way as nature provided its roadbed.
At the point known as Porcupine Bluffs, near the line of Hamilton County, it is believed by the writer, the first dwelling of the white man in York County was erected.
Benjamin F. Lushbaugh, U. S. Indian Agent of the Pawnees, and proprietor of the Nebraska Overland Stage Company, established Porcupine Ranch at the Bluffs, in the fall of 1863. It was also a relay station of the stage company, being the next west of Fouse's Ranch, on the west line of Seward County, making a "run" of twenty-seven miles. It was kept by Samuel Reaney and operated by him until the Old Trail and stage coach gave place, and were superseded by the Union Pacific Railway.
The first permanent settlement was made by Thomas Bassett and S. P. Buckmaster, in the month of December, 1869, Bassett taking a homestead claim on Section 10, and Buckmaster on Section 6, Township 10, Range 3. They settled in the timber groves that skirted the Beaver. Bassett built a small dugout and turned the first furrows in breaking on his claim that were made by the plow in the territory now included in Baker Precinct. Marion Shackelford came next, arriving upon his homestead in March, 1870, taking his claim on Section 4. He immediately commenced work in building a dug-out for himself and family, but before it was completed a severe snow storm set in, that lasted nearly twenty-four hours, so severe that they almost perished from cold. Mr. Shackelford succeeded in forcing his way to the residence of David Baker and in company with him returned to Mrs. Shackelford and the the children whom they found in bed covered by a huge snow drift, and removed them to Mr. Baker's house whey they were cared for.
The following month of June marks the date of settlement of Anthony Heitz, the next settler, who took up his claim on Section 10. Mr. Heitz also settled on the Creek and obtained his living and money to pay for his homestead claim by trapping the beaver and mink on Beaver Creek.
During the closing months of 1870 quite a number of claims were taken up. Among the first were those of Mrs. Sarah Buckmaster and T. H. Buckmaster, Section 6, on Beaver Creek. In the north part Henry Benson settled on Section 30, Township 11, Range 3. In the northeast corner W. K. Atkinson, on Section 20. In the western part Price Raymond, on Section 8; Alva Meismer, Section 6; Abner Stout, Section 10; C. M. Johnson, Section 10; Martin Funk, Section 14, Township 10, Range 4. In the south part, A. F. Monger, Section 23, and the following spring of 1871, A. W. Wellman, Section 24, Richard Mutton, Gustavus Faustman, W. A. Thomas, C. A. Siran, all on Section 24.
During the years of 1871-72 a large immigration came into the precint and the sod houses and dug-outs could be found scattered all over the upland.
Baker Precinct originally included North Blue and Henderson precints, and was named in honor of David Baker, the pioneer of York Precinct. Stephen P. Buckmaster was appointed the first Justice of the Peace in January, 1870. J. W. Buckmaster made the first assessment after the creation of Henderson and North Blue precincts.
The first post-office was established in the winter of 1870-71, under the name of Aikins Mills, and was kept at the house of C. Aiken, who received the appointment of Postmaster.
Miss Annie Bassett, daughter of Thomas Bassett, was the first child born in the precinct, the date being December, 1869.
Stephen P. Buckmaster built the first frame house in December, 1869, which was blown down during the following winter. The organization of the first school district, District No. 13, was effected in the spring of 1871. Thomas Bassett was chosen Director, Marion Shackleford, Moderator, and Stephen P. Buckmaster, Treasurer. The first schoolhouse erected was a sod building, situated on Section 8, near the residence of B. C. Deitrick. School was opened in May, with Miss Alice Babcock as teacher.
The first marriage that took place occurred at the house of Postmaster Chauncey Aiken, in the summer of 1871, the happy participants were Isaac Mullen and Miss S. Aiken, and Justice Buckmaster tied the knot, which was his first official act after receiving his appointment.
In 1879, the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad was continued from York to Central City, and one station was established in York County, eight miles west of York, which is known by the name of Bradshaw. A town was at once laid out by the Railroad Company, stimulated by one of the most productive sections of the West, it has undergone a surprisingly rapid growth, and bids fair to become one of the most important villages of York County.
W. D. Post put up the first frame building, in which he opened the first store, stocking it with general merchandise in the spring of 1880. Among the first merchants, who located at this place, are Asa Trusdell, Austin Lindsley, and the Richards brothers. After the location of the town, the Methodist Episcopal Church, formerly organized at the Plainfield schoolhouse, was removed to Bradshaw and reorganized by Dr. W. H. Babcock and Rev. Mr. Sheldon. A fine frame church building is in process of construction by the society. The Congregational Church Society was organized in 1879, by Rev. W. Woolman, who became the first pastor, and is still in charge. The organization of the Baptist Church Society was effected in the spring of 1882, by Rev. A. T. Heath, the present pastor of the church. There is also an organization of the Christian Church.
The population of the town, at present, reaches 150.
At Rose Valley schoolhouse, the Congregational Church Society was organized, with Rev. William S. Hill as pastor. It is known as the Council Church Society, and erected its house of worship in the summer of 1879, and is situated on Section 13, Town 10, Range 4. A class of the Methodist Episcopal Church was formed at Fairview school-house in 1878, by E. J. Hancock.
The Swedish Lutheran Church Society was organized at the residence of John Sandall in 1874, with a membership of twenty-two. The Society has never called a pastor, but has been regularly supplied. A large frame church building was erected in 1879, and Cemetery laid out on the Swanson homestead.
WILLIAM H. BABCOCK, eclectic physician and surgeon, came to Nebraska in the summer of 1878, locating in Hamilton County, where he operated his farm in addition to practicing his profession. He is also an ordained deacon in the Nebraska Methodist Episcopal Conference, and has charge of the Bradshaw Circuit. He was born in Livingston County, N. Y., November 2, 1838, and, in 1846, removed to McHenry County, Ill. Here he received his education, attending the Marengo Collegiate Institute. He was a soldier in the Rebellion, enlisting in 1862, with the Ninety-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company A; during this service was detailed for two years as steward in the McPherson U.S.A. Hospital. After the war, he went to Boone County, Iowa, and, in 1873, entered the Eclectic Medical College of Chicago, where he graduated in 1874; then returned to Iowa and commenced the practice of his profession. Dr. Babcock married, in September, 1865, at Boonesborough, Iowa, Miss Luceba Terry, of Illinois.
GUST. F. BURKE, farmer, Section 29, Township 11, Range 3, west, P.O. York, was born in Sweden, June 14, 1844; came to the United States with his parents, in 1857, locating at Galesburg, Ill., where he was employed at various occupations till 1859; then came west to Jefferson County, Iowa, where his father rented a farm, which he helped work; removed to Henry County, in the same State, in 1868, thence to Nebraska, in March, 1873, where he purchased 160 acres of land of the B. & M. R. R. CO. This he has improved until he has it all now under plow with nice groves, hedges and fruit trees. Mr. Burke was married, in Iowa, to Miss Lottie Linstrom, who was also a native of Sweden. They are original members of the Bethesda Swedish Church, Baker Precinct, and have one daughter, Mary E.
GEORGE W. S. COON, farmer and stockraiser, Section 20, Township 10, Range 3, west, P.O. York, was originally from Illinois, born in Carroll County, August 25, 1840, son of Sheldon I. and Mary J. Coon, nee Hocker, who were farmers. George W. received a common-school education, and worked on a farm with his father. In 1866, he enlisted in the Rebellion, with Company A, of the Fifteenth United States Regular Infantry, as a private, but was soon commissioned Corporal, and promoted farther, till he finally became Orderly Sergeant. He remained in his country's service till November 12, 1869, their quarters being mostly in Texas and Alabama; then returned to Illinois, but soon went to Monroe, Wis. where he was engaged at farming; was married there to Miss Mary E. Heath, formerly from Illinois. In the spring of 1871, Mr. Coon came to Nebraska, and took up a soldier's claim of 160 acres. This and another 80, that he has since bought, forms his fine improved farm of to-day. 174 acres are under plow, 50 fenced for pasture, and the balance meadow. He has a beautiful grove of his own planting, and over a mile of willow hedge around his farm. When Mr. Coon first came to this State, he began as most Nebraska settlers have, in a sod house; but this gave place, in 1876, to a good frame structure.
JOSEPH C. DIETRICK, farmer, Section 5, Town 10, Range 3, West, P.O. York, was formerly from Iowa. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, and took up a homestead on Section 4, Town 10, Range 3, West, York Precinct, which he proved up in six months. He then went back to Iowa, and was employed at the Iowa State Insane Asylum, Mount Pleasant, as attendant, which position he had held previous to going to Nebraska. In August, 1874, he left this institution, and after farming one year in that State, he returned in the fall of 1875 to his claim in this State, and the same fall purchased the place upon which he now lives. This contains 160 acres of good farm land, ninety being under plow. He erected the first frame house west of York, in the county, on Beaver Creek, for which he hauled the lumber from Nebraska City and Columbus. Mr. Dietrick married February 26, 1874, at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, Laura, daughter of William and Nancy M. Simpson, the former a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their family is composed of four children--Ethel, Paul, Attie and Walter.
HON. SERVETUS MOORE, M. D., farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Town 11, Range 4, West, P.O. Bradshaw, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1869, and pre-empted the land described above. His farm originally consisted of but 160 acres, but he has since added enough to make 400, of which 260 is under cultivation, and a number of acres of native timber. After coming to this State, he practiced his profession, in addition to running his farm, being a graduate physician of the eclectic school, and successfully practiced till January, 1880. At the organization of York County, in 1870, Dr. Moore was elected one of the commissioners for a term of three years. Was also the first Representative from York County, to the Legislature in 1876, and in 1880, was re-elected to that office, and during the first term, was on the Committee of Education. He was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1836, and was married at Camp Point, Ill., August 14, 1857, to Miss Laura A. Morris, of that State. They are original members of the Congregational Church, Bradshaw, and are the parents of three children--Orville M., Robert S. and Alice M. Dr. Moore is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
ORIN S. MUNGER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 18, Town 10, Range 3, West, P.O. York, was born in Union County, Ohio, April 19, 1840. When eight years of age, his parents came to Jefferson County, Iowa, where he received a common school education, and helped his father on the farm till eighteen years of age. He then started out for himself, working at various occupations till the breaking out of the Rebellion. Then enlisted in the Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company G, and after serving one year, was detailed as blacksmith of his regiment, and served afterward both as wagon master and Commissary Sergeant of the Second Division of the Sixteenth Army Corps. He served till 1874, then returned to Illinois, and made blacksmithing his business in that State, and after coming to Nebraska, ran a shop on his homestead, the first one in Baker Precinct. He was married in Illinois, in 1865, to Miss Sarah Brown, a native of Muskingum County, Ohio. Their family consists of six children--Albert, Luella, Hiram F., Hartwell, Orin J. and Levi F.
WILLIAM D. POST, dealer in general merchandise, grain and lumber, came to Bradshaw in the fall of 1879, and immediately began preparations for the erection of a store building. Into this when completed, he moved a stock of general merchandise, from York, where he had previously been in business a short time. This was the first store in Baker Precinct, with the exception of a small unpretentious affair, kept by Owen Bros., one-half mile north of the present site of Bradshaw. In December, 1879, Mr. Post succeeded in getting a postoffice established there, which was removed from Plainfield, same precinct, and of which he was appointed Postmaster. The name--Bradshaw--was given, after the wife of Jesse M. Richards, who was formerly a Bradshaw. Mr. Post was very successful in his business venture, and in 1881, added the grain business, and during the summer of the same year purchased the lumber yard, formerly operated by E. N. Evans. Mr. Post is a native of Richland County, Ohio, born June 24, 1846, the son of Johiel and Elizabeth, nee Moorhouse. His mother died when he was five, and his father when he was ten years of age, and William was thrown upon his own resources. In 1868, he came to Nebraska, where he was employed as operator at various stations on the U. P. R. R. He did not remain long in their employ, however, but soon went to Eldora, Iowa, and worked for the Central Railroad Company, and after coming to Bradshaw, was operator and station agent, in connection with his store. He was married in Ohio, in 1868, to Miss Marrilla M. Story of same State. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is an A., F. & A. M.
PRICE RAYMOND, of the firm of Miller & Raymond, dealers in hardware and farm machinery, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871 and took up a homestead on Section 8, Township 10, Range 4 west, Baker Precinct. Here he lived improving his land till February, 1882, when he sold his farm and moved to Bradshaw. He formed a co-partnership with Wm. Miller, and together they went into the hardware business, buying the store of Mr. Asa Trusdell, who had succeeded Dilts & LeCount. The latter established the business in 1881, the first hardware store in Baker Precinct. Mr. R. was born in Cortland, N.Y., May 16, 1849. He is the son of J. D. and Catherine Raymond, nee Price. They emigrated to Jones County, Iowa, in 1855, and here Mr. R. worked on a farm with his father until 1870, when he was married to Miss Emma Misener, and came to the State as above. He has been school treasurer in his district and Justice of the Peace a number of terms. Mr. R. and wife are original members of the Baptist Church, Baker precinct.
JONAS P. SANDALL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 32, Town 11, Range 3, west, P.O. York, was born in Bredgord Edshult Soken Smaland, Sweden, September 2, 1835, the eldest son of John and Carrie Sandall, who emigrated to the United States in 1858, his mother's maiden name, Peterson. They located at Rome, Henry County, Iowa, but Jonas went to Jefferson County, same State. Followed farming there till 1864, when he took a trip across the plains to Virginia City, Montana, and while going through Nebraska thought what a favorable country it would be for his future home. Returning to Iowa he purchased a farm in Henry County, which he operated till the spring of 1873, and at that time removed to this State, where he bought 160 acres of land from the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Co. He now owns 320 acres, 240 being under plow, and the remainder for pasture. Mr. Sandall married his first wife, Miss Christiana Samuelson, in Illinois, in 1860, who was born in Sweden. they were original members of Bethesda Swedish Church. She died May 17, 1880, a firm believer in the cause of Christianity, and was the second person interred in the cemetery of the above church, leaving five children, all of whom are living, Emma M., Henry M., Carl J., Olena M. and Isaac L. His second wife was Miss Anna Peterson, to whom he was married June 3, 1881, and by whom he has one daughter, Manda A.
OSCAR A. STUBBS, senior member of the firm of Stubbs & White, dealers in general merchandise, is a native of Maine, born March 2, 1844. His early life was spent in that State, and during the Rebellion he enlisted with Company I, of the Ninth Maine Volunteer Infantry, serving his country three years. In 1868 he came to Nebraska and located at Milford, where he homesteaded on Section 32, Town 10, Range 3, east, Ohio Precinct. Here he lived six years, improving his land, and then moved to Seward and engaged in the dairy business till 1877. At this time he went to York, and continued his former occupation until April, 1881, this being the date of his location at Bradshaw, and his embarkation in his present business. Mr. Stubbs was married in Seward, Neb., in 1871, to Annie M. Clark.
SWAN SWANSON, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. York, is a native of Sweden, born October 4, 1831. Was employed as a farmer there, and in 1852 came to the United States, locating in Knox County, Ill., where he worked around among the farmers for four years. His parents then emigrated to America, and he came with them to Jefferson County, Iowa, and helped them improve their farm till 1861. At that time he became a soldier in the Rebellion, enlisting with Company K, of the Engineer Regiment of the West, in which he served until November, 1864, taking an active part in all the engagements of his regiment. he returned to Iowa and in the spring of 1872 came to Nebraska, taking up a homestead of 160 acres. During the winter of 1872 he went back to Iowa, where he was married to Hannah Johnson, who was of the same nationality as himself. Then came back to his homestead, and at Easter of the following year was snowed in with his wife and brother, their sod house being completely covered up, and here they were forced to remain for three days and nights, until the neighbors came and dug them out. Mr. S. and wife were original members of the Bethesda Swedish Church, and were the donors of the grounds upon which said church was erected, and of the cemetery plot, making in all four acres. Upon the organization of the church Mr. S. was appointed clerk, which position he held three years. He is identified with the G. A. R., Robert Anderson post, No. 32.
CASSIUS M. C. WOOLMAN, farmer, Section 20, Town 10, Range 3, west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1871, and pre-empted a claim in Henderson Precinct, Section 30, Town 10, and after homesteading it moved to his present place, where he has a fine improved farm of 80 acres, with a fine orchard and a well constructed frame dwelling, 28 x 28. He was born in Grant County, Ind., October 16, 1849, and was married in York County, Neb., in 1874, to Josephine, daughter of W. A. Sanderson, who located there in 1871. She was the first school teacher in District No. 30, York County, the school being held in a small dug-out. C. Woolman was the second teacher in the same district, but not in the same location, as the school was moved around in those days, to accommodate the settlers. He has served as Assessor of Baker Precinct for three terms. They have three children, Albert B. C., Harold B. and Mabel E.
West Blue Precinct is situated in the southeast corner of the county, and derives its name from the West Blue River that courses through it. The general character of the surface is that of a gently rolling valley, except the uplands, or "divides," which are somewhat rolling.
John Anderson, and his son William Anderson, the first settlers of this precinct, are honored as the pioneers and first settlers of York County. They took up the first claims under the homestead act made in the county, on Section 2, township 9, range 1, and plowed the first furrows. Their settlement dates back to the year 1865, in the month of February.
Three months later, in the month of May, George Stubblefield made the third settlement in the county, on Section 3, adjoining the one taken up by the Andersons. The following December, three other settlers arrived, and their settlements include all that were made during this year. These came in the person of Henry Chatterton, who located on Section 8, Miss Sophonisba Fouse on Section 9, and Nerva Fouse on Section 10. Early in the month of January, 1866, they were followed by Wm. Taylor, who established his farm on Section 8; Elias Gilmore, locating on Section 7, and Jackson Gilmore, on Section 12.
When the spring of 1866 opened up, it found David Buzzard settled on Section 10, Levi Deems on Section 12, and during the summer, Christian Holach also settled on Section 12, Albert Deems on Section 10, and Nicholas Noigh on the same section. Two years later, in the fall of 1868, W. H. Armstrong and George Vance arrived and were followed in 1869 by Wm. Hathaway and Reuben Manning.
In the month of April, 1869, Rev. William Worley preached the first sermon ever listened to by the pioneers of York County, at the residence of John Anderson, and during the following month organized the first class of the M. E. Church at the Buzzard school-house. In 1870, the West Blue Mission was formed, and Rev. Mr. Oliver appointed to the charge.
In the winter of 1869-70, Elias Gilmore erected the first frame house in the precinct, hauling the lumber from Nebraska City. All of the settlements mentioned were made on the Blue among the timber groves that fringed its banks. And a further settlement of the precinct did not occur until the emigration of 1870 came pouring into the county.
In the spring of 1870, George Hannah, V. Shetley, and John Wallace took up claims on Section 12, and began tilling the soil. In the month of November, Mrs. L. Parsons, Elmer Parsons, and A. H. Chesebro, made the first settlement on Lincoln Creek, all locating on Section 26. In 1871 and 1872 the precinct settled up very rapidly and nearly all the government land was taken up. Among the first settlers in this general emigration are P. L. Rubattal, Section 34; Isaiah Smith, Section 28; Calvin Smith, Section 32; and Anthony Smith, Section 28.
In the winter of 1865-66, at the time Uncle Elias Gilmore took up his claim, nine hundred Pawnee Indians were camped on the Blue, engaged in hunting. Mr. Gilmore harvested the first wheat raised in York County, in 1867, and the total crop throughout the county for 1868, amounted to five hundred bushels.
Miss Lizzie May, daughter of A. J. Gilmore, has the honor of being the first white child born in the precinct, and also in York County, the date of January, 1866. The first marriage ceremony occurred at the residence of Uncle Elias Gilmore, Feb. 14, 1867. Daniel Millspaugh, a justice of the peace for Seward County, tied the knot, and the contracting parties were Mr. N. J. Dixon and Miss Lydia Gilmore.
The first death that occurred in the county among the settlers was that of the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. N. J. Dixon in the winter of 1867 and 1868.
The first school district organization effected in the county took place in this precinct in 1869. William Taylor was elected Moderator, A. J. Gilmore, Director, and John Meagher, Treasurer. This was District No. 1 and is known as the Buzzard District. A sod school house was erected in the fall of this year on Section 8 and the following spring school was opened with Miss Lizzie Lowry as teacher. These were the introductory steps of the present efficient school system of the county.
The settlers are liberal in their praise of Miss Lowry's early work and honor her as the pioneer teacher of the county.
United Brethren.--The organization of this church took place in the winter of 1868 and 1869 at the house of David Buzzard. The original members of the society are Mr. and Mrs. David Buzzard, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Gilmore, William Buzzard, and Kate Buzzard. The first meetings were held at the "dug outs" and sod houses of the settlers. When the Buzzard school house was completed it was used as a house of worship as well as a school. The society met in the school house until the church was completed, in April, 1879, at which date the dedication services took place. Rev. Simeon Austin was called as pastor in the spring of 1871 and remained two years. Rev. N. P. Spafford succeeded him in 1874 and officiated for one year. Rev. E. F. Austin was called as the successor of Mr. Spafford, in the spring of 1875 and presided over the church until the spring of 1878. After Mr. Austin closed his labors the present pastor, Rev. E. W. Johnson, took charge. The present Board of Trustees are Christian Holoch, Charles Wullbrandt, A. J. Gilmore, P. Heller.
Methodist Episcopal.--West Blue Mission was established in April, 1869. The first services were held at the residence of John Anderson, by Rev. William Worley, one of the first missionaries of the South Platte country. The West Blue class was the first organized in the county, which took place during the following month of May. The West Blue Circuit was established in the spring of 1881 and Rev. Mr. Oliver appointed to this field. The Buzzard school house is used as a house of worship and a supply regularly furnished to the society.
Christian.--The Christian Church Society was organized by Rev. Kelso in the month of February, 1873. Rev. Mr. Brittell, the first pastor, was called in the summer of 1873 and his labors cover a period of two years. His resignation took effect during the fall of 1875 since which date the pulpit has been supplied.
Advent.--The society of the Adventist faith was organized in the winter of 1877 by Rev. L. Butler at the Armstrong school house.
JULIUS A. ADDISON, farmer, Section 2, Town 9, range 2 west, P.O. York was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., January 26, 1838, son of Isaac and Laura Addison. He remained at home, working on the farm, and going to school during the winter season till 1861, when he enlisted in the Rebellion, at Bennington, N. Y., in the Sixty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company G. Served till June, 1862, when he was wounded at the battle of White Oak Swamp, W. Va., in the right side, the ball passing over the hip bone and lodging in the abdomen, where it still remains, the result of which is, he has never been able to work since. He then returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1865, removed to Manistee, Mich., thence in 1868, to LaSalle County, Ill., and in March, 1872, came to Nebraska, and took a soldier's claim, which he afterward homesteaded. Was among the early settlers of West Blue Precinct, and now owns 160 acres of well improved farm land. Mr. Addison was married in January, 1865, New York, to Miss Phoebe A. Chalker, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children--Jennie M., Alonzo B., Ottis and Ulysses.
RICHARD BROOKE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 26, town 10, Range 2, west, P.O. York, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Somerset County, January 13, 1832. Here he received his education, and in 1852, went to California, going round by the Isthmus, but soon returned, and subsequently made four different trips to that State, the last time in 1873, crossed the plains with a drove of horses. He married in Pennsylvania, 1864, Miss Nancy A. Dean, and soon afterward removed west, to Wapello County, Iowa, where his occupation was stock raising. In 1867, went to Missouri, from there to Nebraska, in October, 1874. He purchased 160 acres at first, but has since enlarged his farm till he now owns 560 acres, of which 480 is under cultivation, and the entire farm fenced. Of stock, he has 150 graded cattle, 100 hogs, and twenty-three head of horses and mules together. His residence is a fine, large, two story, frame building, and he has one of the largest barns in the county, 50 x 60. Mr. Brooke and wife are members of the United Brethren Church.
JOHN P. COOK, farmer, Section 30, Town 10, Range 1, west, P.O. Blue Valley, came to Nebraska in May, 1870, and took up a homestead. This consisted originally of eighty acres, but he has added to it till he now owns 360 acres, of which 150 are under cultivation. He has a fine young orchard of twelve acres, set out with choice fruit trees, and a grove of timer of his own planting. he has been successful in fruit raising and his experience of twelve years is sufficient to prove to the public that the fruit business has, and can be made a successful enterprise in Nebraska. He was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1836, and is the son of John P. and Ruth Cook, nee, Nickols, who were of English descent. In 1850, they removed to Illinois, from there Mr. Cook went to Cedar County, Iowa, in 1860, where he engaged at farming. Was married in the same county, in 1865, to Miss Barbara E. Brown. They have seven children, of whom two are girls. Mr. Cook has served as School Director of District No. 58, and always taken an active part in the agricultural interests of his county.
JACOB R. GILMORE, farmer, Section 5, Town 9, Range 1, west, P.O. Blue Valley, came to Nebraska in January, 1866, in company with his father and W. H. Taylor, and all took up homesteads the same month. He was the third white settler in York County, preceded by Nerva Fouse, Henry Chatterton and George Anderson, but the two latter gentlemen have moved away, making Mr. Gilmore the second oldest resident in the county. In 1869, he organized the first voting precinct in the county, called West Blue, York being then attached to Seward County, for judicial purposes. Was appointed and commissioned as Registrar of Precinct. Also organized the first school district about this time which embraced a Territory six and one-half by nine miles and has been one of the school board from that time to the present. The First election was held under a special grant from Gov. Butler, only seventy votes being cast, and this included all the votes from York, Hamilton and Fillmore counties. In the spring of 1870, Mr. Gillmore started a small store on his homestead, the third store in the county, and during the same year was appointed Postmaster at Blue Valley, filling that position until 1877. Has also served as Assessor of that precinct for several terms. He is a member of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, York. He was born in Fayette County, Pa., August 12, 1835. He is the son of Elias and Huldah Gilmore, nee Rush, who were descendants of Pennsylvania Dutch. In 1859, he left his native State and came to Livingston County, Ill., where he was employed at farming until the breaking out of the Rebellion, then enlisted in April, 1861, with the Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D, and in January, 1864, veteranized in the same regiment, serving until the close of the war, and took an active part in all the engagements of the same. He was wounded twice at the storming of Fort Hill in Logan's Division at Vicksburg. Then returned to Illinois and resumed farming, where he made his home until his removal to this State. He was married in Illinois, November, 1860, to Miss Catherine E. Barrows, who was born in Michigan. They have a family of seven children--Ellen A., Lillie May, born June 3, 1866, being the first white child born in York County.
CHRISTIAN F. GUNLACH, farmer, Section 30, Township 10, Range 1, W., P.O. Blue Valley, came to Nebraska in May, 1870. took up a homestead in York County, where he now lives and was among the early settlers in West Blue precinct. He was born in Germany, February 11, 1847, the son of Christian and Mena Gunlach, who emigrated to the United States in 1856, locating at Milwaukee, Wis. From there he went to Waukesha County, same State, where he lived till he came to Nebraska. He has served as School Treasurer of District No. 58, West Blue precinct. He married in March, 1878, Miss Matilda Widle. they have two children--Frederick C. and Lillian V.