Topography | Early Settlements | Organization | County Roster|
York County Agricultural Society
York: Early history | Incorporation | Schools | First Term of Court|
New York | Local Matters | Elevators | Banks
Nebraska Conference Seminary | Public Schools | Churches
Societies | The Press
3 ~ 5:
ALLAN ~ KNOTT | LANGWORTHY ~ SCOTT
SEDGWICK ~ ZIMMERER
Baker Precinct | Bradshaw: Biographical Sketches|
West Blue Precinct: Church History
Beaver Creek Precinct | North Blue Precinct|
Henderson Precinct: Biographical Sketches
Houston Precinct: Biographical Sketches
Stewart Precinct: | Woodruff Precinct|
List of Illustrations in York County Chapter
[View of York and Nebraska Conference Seminary.]
York Precinct occupies the geographical centre of the county, and lies in the valley of Beaver Creek. On the 3d of August, 1864, David Baker pitched his tent on the banks of Beaver Creek, under the spreading branches of a friendly old elm, that stood on Section 10, town 10, Range 3. Mr. Baker and his family made this their home for a period of three months, during which he erected the first frame house in the precinct, hauling the lumber from Nebraska City. His settlement is the first it is our pleasure to record. The next settlers who arrived, are Isaac Crable, Ex-Sheriff J. P. Miller, Isaac Baker, Thomas Byers and Edward Bates. Messrs. Crable, Baker and Bates took up claims on Section 2. In 1870 a large number of settlers came into the precinct, and nearly all of the valuable claims were taken up, and before the close of 1871 all the Government land was exhausted. Among the first who came in 1870, Lorenzo D. Brakeman, F. M. Connelly and D. A. Ritner made settlements on Section 4, town 10, Range 2. Charles F. Day and A. J. Day on Section 18, Nathan Johnson on Section 20, Thomas Porter, Section 24, David Graham, J. S. Shawl also on Section 24. H. M. Detrick, J. W. Andrews on Section 30, and R. C. Shipman and John Murphy on Section 10.
The site of York was taken as a pre-emption claim by Messrs. Ghost and Sherwood for the South Platte Land Co., in the spring of 1869. They erected a small frame building which was situated just south of the public square, near the Central Hotel stables. In October, 1869, the city of York was surveyed and platted, and when the spring of 1870 opened it was represented by one sod house and the frame building referred to above. In the fall of 1870, two brothers by the name of Elwood inaugurated the first store in York County in the old pre-emption house, which they maintained until the following spring, when they packed up their little stock and went sadly away, believing with all sincerity that the future city was only a phantom and unworthy to be courted. A few weeks after their premature departure, F. O. and J. H. Bell came out from Lincoln with a wagon load of general merchandise and opened the second store where the Elwood's had vacated.
[Commercial Hotel.--C. Banta, Prop.]
During the summer and fall of this year the city began to develop by the presence of a few frame buildings that were put up. In the summer of 1871 Dr. A. B. Tutton started the first drug store in York County, on the northwest corner of the public square, and during the month of September J. E. Carter built a second store on the west side of the square, stocking it with general merchandise. A short time after, Brahmstadt & Kleinschmidt built their store, and W. A. Reed built the first hotel, which was a part of the present Central Hotel. In November L. J. Gandy opened the first hardware and implement house, and in January, 1872, Charles Le Count offered his services to the citizens of York as a tinsmith. Thomas Gray began pounding iron in a sod blacksmith shop in the fall of 1871, and William H. Gould opened the first wagon shop in the spring of 1872. Some of the buildings erected during this year are, the millinery store of Mrs. E. Wilson, Dr. Thomas L. Myers' drug store, the furniture store of C. A. Stonecypher and the store of F. M. Connelly, occupied by Wyman & Buckmaster as an implement house. In 1871 F. A. Bidwell was appointed Land Agent of the B. & M. R. R., and opened his office at York, and in 1872 the court house was erected. All of these improvements gave the new city the appearance of active business life and a promise of becoming, in the near future, a prominent city of the State. The success of its founders led others to cast their lines in it, until it began to acquire a growing fame and demand considerable attention from the outside world. In August, 1877, when the first train of the B. & M. R. R. made its triumphal entry into the city, it found a town of 600 inhabitants to offer it a hearty welcome.
At a session of the Board of County Commissioners, held September 7, 1875, York was incorporated as a town, and the following Board of Trustees appointed: Hon. George W. Post, F. A. Bidwell, F. M. Connelly, W. A. Reed. The first meeting of the Board took place September 25. F. M. Connelly was elected Chairman, and W. S. Scott, Clerk. The first regular meeting was held December 6. S. M. Wells received the first appointment as Marshal, and F. M. Connelly, as Assessor. The Town Attorney was instructed to draft suitable ordinances for the government of the town and the maintenance of peace and quiet to its citizens. The election of 1876 brought into office the following gentlemen: Trustees--Charles LeCount, Chairman, J. A. Eatherly, J. A. McKillip, J. F. Green and H. C. Kleinschmidt. J. A. McKillip, Treasurer; Edward S. Connelly, Clerk, and M. J. Shackleford, Marshall.
In 1877 J. P. Miller was chosen Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and his colleagues were: W. T. Scott, C. LeCount and A. B. Codding. J. P. Gandy was appointed Marshal, Joseph Massison, Treasurer and Assessor, C. M. Scott, Clerk.
On the 5th of September, 1877, York was formally organized as a city of the second class and divided into two wards. W. T. Scott was honored with the mayoralty of the new city; Lee, Love and George Butterfield as Councilmen of the First Ward, and C. LeCount and A. B. Codding as Councilmen of the Second Ward. The remaining offices were distributed as follows: City Clerk, C. M. Scott; City Treasurer, D. C. Sayer; City Marshal, Charles Penn; Police Judge, S. M. Wells, Engineer, D. C. Evans.
At the election of 1878 all of the city officials were re-elected, except City Engineer Evans, who was succeeded by A. B. Codding. In the Council, the Messrs. George Butterfield and T. C. Evans were returned from the First Ward, and Messrs. G. B. France and R. H. Tuttle from the Second Ward. In the fall of 1878, His Honor Mayor Scott, was called to the higher position of serving the people of York County as member of the State Legislature, and resigned the mayoralty of the city. Mr. France, who had been chosen President of the Council, acted as Mayor during the balance of the term.
The election of 1879 gave the city the following officials: Mayor, Col. B. Crabb; City Clerk, C. M. Scott; City Treasurer, W. W. Giffen; City Marshal, W. H. Gibbs; City Engineer, A. B. Codding; Police Judge, S. M. Wells. In the Council, Jesse Love succeeded George Butterfield in the First Ward, and T. D. Knapp came in as the successor of G. B. France in the Second Ward.
In the spring of 1880 N. V. Harlan was elected Mayor, T. E. Sedgwick, Councilman in the First Ward; George Butterfield, Councilman, in the Second Ward; C. B. Allen, City Clerk; W. W. Giffen, City Treasurer; A. C. Montgomery, Police Judge; A. B. Codding, City Engineer.
The year 1881, Messrs. Harlan, Allen, Montgomery and Codding, were re-elected and E. L. Hatch, City Treasurer. T. D. Knapp was re-elected in the Second Ward, and James McKillip as Councilman for the First Ward. The present efficient incumbents of the City Government are: Thomas F. Stevens, Mayor; C. B. Allen, City Clerk; Charles Beck, City Treasurer; A. C. Montgomery, Police Judge; A. B. Codding, City Engineer. James McKillip and E. M. Cheeney, Councilmen, First Ward; T. D. Knapp and D. P. Temple, Councilmen, Second Ward.
The Congregational Church Academy was erected in 1874, and completed in 1876. It was originally designed for school purposes, but was also used by the society as a church. For a long time it was the only available place for holding the public meetings and entertainments. The next building of any importance was the City Hall, built by Messrs. Reed and Brandhoefer in the spring of 1877, and the following summer, the York County Bank was completed, in which C. S. Langworthy established the first bank of the city. Bell's Block was erected in 1880, and in 1881 Mr. Langworthy erected the First National Bank.
The school district was organized June 14, 1871. It included at this date a territory five miles square in which the city occupied about the central position. Notice of the formation of this district was served upon the entire voting population, residing in its limits. In the school records the names of the male residents of the district are entered, which will give the reader an idea of how sparsely the county was settled at this period, and also the names of the early settlers of the now prosperous city. The total number claiming a residence in the above territory which included the city of York, is only twenty-two and were the following persons: H. M. Detrick, G. W. Dixon, W. L. Draper, Thomas Myers, Gottleib Hofer, J. H. Bell, F. O. Bell, A. B. Tutton, J. S. Tutton, A. E. Hendricks, G. P. Miller, James J. Holley, Ichabod Cook, M. B. Noel, A. J. Day, Isaac Crable, C. F. Day, Edward Bates, S. D. Brakeman, D. A. Ritner, R. Charlton, August Bonge.
A. B. Tutton was elected director, A. C. Montgomery, moderator, and Thomas Myers, treasurer. No farther steps were made towards perfecting the organization until January 15, 1872. At a meeting held at this date, the district voted to issue bonds to the amount of $2,000 for the purpose of purchasing a building site and erecting a schoolhouse. This building was completed in season for a summer school, which was taught by Miss M. A. Hill. During the winter session of this year J. Cochran was employed as teacher. The first school established in York was taught by A. C. Montgomery, in the winter of 1870-71. The old pre-emption house served as a schoolhouse, and twenty-two pupils were in attendance, some coming a distance of eight miles. It was maintained by subscription and was of two months' duration. Mr. Montgomery received his wages in wood, grain, cash, or whatever the settlers could best give from an individual standpoint.
At the annual meeting of the Board in 1879, it was decided to call a special election, and submit a proposition to the citizens of York, for issuing the bonds of the district to the amount of $58,000, for the purpose of erecting a new school building, the old house having become too small to accommodate the fast growing school population. This election took place May 16, and was universally favored. The present building was commenced immediately and it was completed in 1881.
Prominent among the names of the officers of the district during the past are those of H. M. Detrick, W. A. Reed, F. A. Bidwell, T. D. Knapp, H. C. Kleinschmidt, Judge D. T. Moore, C. LeCount, J. A. Eatherly, and among the names of teachers who carried away with them the benedictions of their pupils and patrons may be mentioned; J. E. Cochran, E. J. Wiswell, Mrs. Coiner, Miss Beecher, Miss Effie Cutter, nee Mrs. C. B. Allen, T. A. Parkinson, ex-Mayor; N. V. Harlan, Mrs. Pound, Miss Hart, Miss Gunnel, Miss Hayes, Miss Kate Keckley.
The first term of the District Court in York County was held at York, in the fall of 1872. His Honor, Chief Justice G. B. Lake, presided, and Hon. G. W. Post served as District Attorney. Court sat one- half day and transacted the entire business that the docket called for. The only case of any importance called was the injunction suit, to restrain the county from issuing bonds in the sum of $150,000, to the Midland Pacific Railroad Company. After hearing the case, His Honor decided in favor of the plaintiffs and made the injunction perpetual. Edward Bates opened the first law office, and a short time after he was joined by Hon. G. W. Post. During the first year of his professional life at York, while sitting one morning in the door of his office anxiously waiting for a client, Judge Post saw a herd of antelope cross the town site, passing over the ground now occupied by the high school building.
The advent of the B. & M. R. R. and the location of their depot at York, about thirty rods north of the north end of Lincoln avenue, and consequently outside of the city limits, induced Mr. Wooley, the owner of the land adjoining, to survey and plat a town, which he named in honor of the great metropolis, New York. It was incorporated as a town in 1880, and from its favorable location has assumed a prominent place as a business town. It is in reality a part of the city of York, and the heavy business of the city is here carried on. The four grain elevators, foundry and machine shop, lumber yard and two large general merchandise stores occupy positions near to the station.
York occupies a prominent position at the geographical center of the county. The site is a series of elevations, a portion of a high commanding plain perfectly arranged by Nature gradually sloping to the south, forming one of the most natural and beautiful town sites in the State.
Beaver Creek, one of the important tributaries of the Blue River, winds its way through a picturesque and gentle valley bordering the southern limits of the city, furnishing a splendid water power, which might be made a valuable source of wealth if utilized as the motor power in manufacturing industries.
It is an important shipping point, and one of the principal stations of the Nebraska Railway Division of the B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, between Lincoln and Central City, fifty-two miles distant from the former city, and fifty miles from the latter, and equi-distant from Aurora, the county seat of Hamilton County, and Seward, the county seat of Seward County.
It is the principal commercial center for a radius of twenty-five miles of its surrounding country, and holds out to the business man and manufacturer a tributary trade of adjacent portions of all the adjoining counties. This territory includes the best and most tillable lands in Nebraska, the far-famed Blue Valley, and is peopled by an honest, industrious and intelligent class of inhabitants.
It offers superior advantages not only in commercial life and agricultural pursuits, but to those who are in search of a pleasant and desirable country home.
Its population, at present reaching 2,000, is made up of a people possessing more than the average in moral and intellectual culture, who have become well known in their true temperance and prohibition principles.
To those who are in search of educational opportunities, its advantages are unsurpassed in any city of its age. In addition to a systematic graded school, under the supervison of the City Board of Education, it also enjoys the more advanced instruction furnished by the Nebraska Methodist Episcopal Conference Seminary, which was located at this point in 1879.
The town of New York joins the city on the north so closely as to become a portion of it in every particular but its name.
The city is yet in its infancy, but to-day, it presents itself with an enterprising and thorough business appearance, well and handsomely laid out, with broad avenues and streets crossing each other at right angles, a large public square adorning the center upon which the county buildings are situated. They are well planted with rapidly growing shade trees and furnished with good substantial sidewalks.
The majority of the buildings are frame structures, but are fast being replaced with solid brick blocks and business houses, and primitive York is rapidly disappearing.
The magnitude and importance of its business enterprises are in advance of the typical prairie city, and operated by men possessiong a loyal confidence of the public, and of good financial standing.
The more important of these are grain and stock shipments, as evidenced by two large elevators and extensive stock yards.
Banking is well represented.
Agricultural implements and farm machinery, general merchandise, dry goods, hardware and drugs are among the many features of its general business character.
It enjoys the facilities of two good hotels and several restaurants, furnishing good and ample accommodation to the traveling public.
A growing and important industry worthy of mention is the York Nursery, comprising several acres of choice land devoted to the propagation of fruit and ornamental trees and shrubs.
The largest elevator located at York is owned by Messrs. Chessman & Davidson, erected in the spring of 1878. It is operated by a twelve horse power engine, and has a capacity of handling fifteen thousand bushels of grain per annum. Messrs. S. W. Little & Co., of Lincoln, own and operate a steam power elevator erected in the summer of 1879. The motor power is furnished by a six horse power engine, and it is fitted for handling ten thousand bushels per annum.
Messrs. Chessman and Davidson are also proprietors of a second elevator, having shipping facilities of ten thousand bushels in a year. It is operated by David Fisher, and was erected in 1878 by J. Conner.
The elevator of Sanford Richards was erected in the summer of 1877 by the Richards Bros. It is operated by a six horse power engine, and has a capacity for shipping seven thousand bushels per year.
They are all substantial well built structures, and together form the important business of the city.
The First National Bank of York was incorporated July 1, 1882, with a capital stock of $50,000, and the following complement of officials: R. C. Outcalt, president; W. A. Sharrar, vice-president; R. C. Outcalt, C. W. Mosher, E. W. Mosher, W. A. Sharrar, directors; E. W. Mosher, cashier. The bank building is a large two-story brick, with stone trimmings, just completed, with all modern conveniences for transacting business, and containing a large fire and burglar proof vault, making encroachments in this way impossible.
Commercial State Bank,--This bank was founded in 1875 by William McWhister, and operated by him until the time of his death, which took place in 1879. At this date the present proprietors, Messrs. Sayer and Atkins took charge, and continued it as a private banking house until 1880, when it was incorporated under the State law, with a capital of $50,000. At the present time it has a paid up capital of $33,500, and its functions comprise a general banking business. A fine brick block is in process of erection that will be occupied by the bank as soon as completed. Present officers: D. E. Sayre, president; F. Baldwin, vice-president; D. E. Sayre, F. O. Bell, F. B. Daggy, F. Baldwin, F. K. Atkins, directors; F. K. Atkins, cashier.
This institution was established by the Nebraska Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church at is session in October, in 1879, and the first term was opened in Academy Hall on the morning of January 7, 1880. This school has therefore risen to its present position of importance in about two and a half years. During the first year there was an enrollment of ninety-five students, and during the second of 137. At the close of the first year an endowment fund of $4,000 was secured; now it amounts to $13,000. The total assets of the institution now amount to $28,000. The campus of ten acres is located on a beautiful hill overlooking the town and the country for many miles in the distance. One wing of the building, represented above, is finished and occupied. The other parts of the structure will be erected as they seem to be needed: The policy of the trustees will be to push things forward as fast as their means will permit. It is expected that at no distant day, as soon as the Methodist Conference of the State demand a college, that this seminary will become one, and from that grow into a university with all its proper departments. This institution offers superior opportunities for acquiring a good education. A faculty of experienced and college-bred teachers of Eastern education and specialists in their respective departments are employed to give instruction in the studies of the differnt courses.
York is about the center of population in the State. It is the county seat of York County, and a city of 1,500 inhabitants. It is a strong temperance place, no saloons being allowed to exist therein. This is also a decidedly religious community, nearly all branches of the Christian church having societies here, and all laboring together to make a public sentiment in favor of religious principles. York is on the Nebraska Railroad, fifty miles west of Lincoln. This road runs throught the most populous and one of the most rapidly growing portions of the State. It makes connection with other roads at Nebraska City, Lincoln, Seward and Central City. No more healthy location can be found in the State than this. The government of the insitution is paternal. The utmost kindness, united with the greatest firmness, is exercised. All the students are made to feel that they are at home, and to realize that the seminary is to them an alma mater. Ladies are not permitted to receive the attentions of young gentlemen without permission of the preceptress.
Two flourishing literary societies are in existence; one for the young men, the Zetomathean, and the other for the young ladies, the Philopheeman and attention is given by the teachers of rhetoric and elocution to the various kinds of literary performance. The faculty of the institution claim that a very important part of an education is the development of the ability to tell what we know, and to tell it well. The museum has about 1,000 specimens for illustrating zoology, geology, chemistry and mineralogy. There is a library of 200 volumes of choice books, which can be loaned to students without any kind of fee. Also a reading room is supplied with secular and religious papers from various parts of the country. The methods are the latest and best. The following are the curricula:
I. A preparatory course of one year, embracing a thorough drill in the common English branches--arithmetic, English grammar, geography, reading, writing and orthography.
II. A business course of one year, embracing all the branches required for a good business education, such as book-keeping, single and double entry, practical arithmetic, commercial arithmetic, geography, English grammar, commercial law and international law.
III. A normal course of two years, embracing all the studies required for a first class certificate before the State Superintendent, as well as lectures on the art of teaching, etc.
IV. A fine art course, including drawing, crayoning, landscape and portrait painting, in oil and water colors. The course requires one or two years, according to the aptness of the pupil.
V. A musical course, requiring three years for its completion, including solfeggio, harmony, and instruction on organ and piano.
VI. A scientific course of three years, embracing all the sciences, but no languages except the English, the completion of which will secure the degree of Bachelor of Science.
VII. A philosophical course of four years, equal to the highest seminary course of the east, the completion of which will entitle the student to the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy.
The schools of York are under the able and efficient tutorship of Prof. R. M. Bridges, who has been in charge for the past two years. At the beginning of the present school year, and entirely new course of study was adopted, and the work systematized so that coordinate grades are upon the same subjects at the same time, making a plan of work for the scholar that will fit him for the Nebraska M. E. Seminary or the State University. The totalnumber of pupils in attendance at the present time is 523.
The schools are divided into seven departments, and presided over as follows: In the High School, Prof. R. M. Bridges; First and Second Grammar, Miss Alice Crownover; First Intermediate, Miss Annie Knapp; Second Intermediate, Miss Flora Blackburn; First Primary, Miss Carrie Moffitt; Second Primary, Miss Lucy Gould; New York Primary, Miss Laura Weed. They have the hearty support of the City Board of Education, and the utmost harmony prevails between teacher and scholar. Their progress during the past three years, though gradual, has been marked, and is manifest in the growth of the school population, the increased efficiency of an able corps of teachers, and in the earnest application, liberal attainments and high character of the pupils.
The aim and purpose is to prepare pupils for the State University, and although many difficulties are yet to be encountered, it is hoped ultimately to raise the standard of graduation so high that its diplomas will be a sufficient passport. To this end, the course of study includes English grammar and composition, United States, English and general history, the elementary sciences, such as physiology, physical geography, botany, zoology, natural philosophy, chemistry, the higher mathematics, and the Latin language, and all of the higher branches will be introduced, as the wants of the pupils demand.
The intention is to build a sound foundation for usefulness, and prepare the graduate for practical business life, or a better preparation for a professional or business education. The High School building is a solid, substantial brick, erected at a cost of $7,000, built for convenience and sanitary properties more than architectural beauty, and is one of the bright features of the city.
The City Board of Education include the following officers and members: H. Seymour, President; F. A. Bidwell, Secretary; Charles LeCount, Treasurer; L. J. Gandy, F. A. Newell, H. M. Detrick.
Methodist Episcopal.--The first attempt made to organize a class in York County, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, took place at the house of David Baker, in the spring of 1871, Mr. Baker acting as class leader. The members of this pioneer class were: David Baker, Elvira Baker, J. H. Bell, Thomas Bassett, L. D. Brakeman, Ella Brakeman, Sarah M. Moore, Thomas Myers, John Murphy, Mary Murphy, S. W. Pettis, Mrs. Shackelford.
In the fall of this year ex-Judge W. E. Morgan was appointed pastor to this charge. It was given the name of the York Mission and included the entire county. Immediately after taking charge, Judge Morgan re-organized the few members that resided in the county at this date into two classes, one on the West Blue, and the other, the original class of the York Methodist Episcopal Society, at the house of David Baker, the total membership of both classes reaching twenty-seven. Judge Morgan officiated as pastor until the close of the conference year in 1875. He held the first service after his appointment in the store of Brahmstadt & Kleinschmidt and from this time until the completion of the schoolhouse in the summer of 1872, at the residence of Mr. Baker. Services were held at the schoolhouse until the spring of 1873, at which date the Presbyterian Church was completed. It was used by the society until the following September, when the Methodist Episcopal Church was completed, Rev. Minor Raymond, D. D., of Evanston, Ill., officiating at the dedication services. At the fourth quarterly conference of the year 1871-72, held during the month of February, 1872, Judge Morgan presiding, the following Board of Trustees were elected: David Baker, S. W. Pettis, C. Tagg, Albert Deems, recording steward.
The lots upon which the church formerly stood were donated to the society by the South Platte Land Company and, $100 were received from the Church Extension Society. The balance was contributed by the citizens of York and members of its several church societies. In 1880 the society conveyed this building to the Swedish Lutheran Church Society, and it was removed to its present site in 1881, and services are now held at Bells' Hall. The parsonage was erected in 1877. Rev. Edwin Buck was the snccessor of Judge Morgan, closing his ministry in the fall of 1877, being succeeded by Rev. E. J. Willis, who also remained for a period of two years. Rev. W. S. Blackburn was appointed to this charge in the fall of 1879, remaining one year. Rev. G. A. Smith, the present pastor, came to York in October, 1880, and is now serving his second year. The present officers of the church are: Trustees, L. J. Gandy, A. J. Codding, George Beck, G. W. Woods, A. W. Wirt, E. M. Cheeney, E. M. Battis, J. C. Tenney, T. D. Knapp; E. M. Cheeney, recording steward.
The organization of the Presbyterian Church of York took place in a grove of elms, since destroyed, situated on the banks of the Beaver, not far from the mill site, July 23, 1871. Rev. George H. Carroll, District Missionary of the Board of Home Missions for western Iowa, presided and preached the sermon, after which the society was formally organized by the following members: A. C. Montgomery, Annie M. Montgomery, Robert Charlton, F. O. Bell, Elizabeth Dixon, R. R. Crawford, J. A. Crawford, M. C. French. A. C. Montgomery was elected Ruling Elder and Clerk and the pulpit was supplied during the first year. Rev. D. B. Fleming became the first pastor in 1872 and during this year the church edifice was commenced and completed, the dedication services taking place November 17. Rev. T. K. Hedges officiated as pastor in 1873, and in 1874 the church was again supplied. Rev. A. S. Powell was called as pastor in 1875, and in April, 1876, D. P. Temple was elected and ordained Ruling Elder. Rev. W. F. Gibson was pastor for one year, commencing in 1877, being succeeded by Rev. B. F. Sharp, the present pastor, who began his labors in April, 1878. In March, l879, W. W. Giffin was ordained Ruling Elder and during the summer of 1880 the church building was enlarged at a cost of $400, making it 24 x 56 feet. It is now a neat, comfortable frame building, elegantly furnished with oak pews, while the walls and ceiling are tastefully decorated. The property is valued at $1,500. Since the organization ninety-seven persons have united with the church out of which number five have been removed by death, viz. : Robert Charlton, Mrs. Annie M. Dickey, Mrs. Clara Vanvalkenburgh, Mrs. George W. Miller and Miss Minnie Sleirart, and several others have been dismissed at their own request and recommended to other churches, leaving a present membership of eighty-four.
St. Joseph Catholic Church was first attended as a mission in 1877 by Father William Byrne, and by him organized into a church. It was under his charge until the spring of 1878 when he was succeeded by Father O'Brien, who was in attendance until 1880. Father Wallace attended during the years of 1880 and 1881 and was succeeded by Father C. J. Quinn, of Utica, the present attending priest. The church was commenced in 1879 and completed in 1881 at a cost of $1,100. The parish has a membership of 300.
The Congregational Church, of York, was organized in May, 1872, at the office of F. A. Bidwell. The organizing members were F. A. Bidwell, Mrs. F. A. Bidwell, Austin Harris, Mrs. Austin Harris, L. D. Stillson, Dr. W. Anderson, Mrs. Dr. Anderson. The society erected a large frame building, designed as a school building, in 1874, which was used as a house of worship until recently transferred to Messrs. Buckman and Worley, and are now engaged in constructing a new church edifice. The first Board of Trustees were elected shortly after the organization and included F. A. Bidwell, Austin Harris and Dr. Willam Anderson. First church clerk, L. D. Stillson. The present membership reaches 100. Present Board of Trustees; George A. Chessman, George B. France, F. A. Bidwell. Since the organization of the church no pastor has been called, a regular supply being furnished.
Universalist.--The organization of this church dates back to June, 1880, at which date it was organized by Rev. L. S. Roripaugh. Rev. E. R. Earl, the present incumbent, became the pastor September 1, 1881. The present house of worship was completed in April, 1881, and the property is valued at $1,800. The trustees of the church are, John Itner, J. D. P. Small, Charles Lee Count.
York Lodge, No. 56, A. F. & A. M., was granted a dispensation August 2, 1874, issued to the following members: Malcolm G. Barney, Charles Lee Count, Samuel McConnaughey, William M. Knapp, Lee Love, Andrew Rowley, J. D. P. Small, J. W. Foster, Albert A. Burtch, Henry Smith, James A. McKillip, John A. Eatherley. A charter was granted to the same members June 24, 1875, by Grand Master Frank Welch, and Grand Secretary William R. Bower. The first meeting was held November 3, 1874, at which the following officers were chosen: W. R. Knapp, W. M.; Lee Love, S. W.; M. G. Barney, J. W.; J. A. Etherley, Secretary; J. D. P. Small, Treasurer; J. A. McKillop, S. D.; Charles Lee Count, J. D.; Andrew Rowley, Tiler. Trustees--M. G. Barney, Charles Lee Count, J. A. McKillop. The lodge is in a prosperous working condition, and one of the strongest in the State. The present officers are: W. M. Knapp, W. M.; D. E. Sayre, S. W.; G. B. France, J. W.; L. A. Brandhoffer, Secretary; G. E. Butterfield, Treasurer.
York Lodge, No. 35, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was granted a charter October 2, 1872, and is the pioneer lodge of York County. The charter members are: William H. Keckley, S. E. Gandy, J. P. Miller, Austin Lindsley, D. A. Ritner, E. H. White, A. E. Streeter, Francis Brooks, R. B. Stevens. At the first meeting held October 2, 1872, the following officers were elected: W. H. Keckley, Noble Grand; S. E. Gandy, Vice Grand; E. H. White, Secretary; J. P. Miller, Treasurer. The lodge owns a fine large frame building, erected in 1878, the chambers of which are devoted to the lodge and ante-rooms of the Order. The present membership reaches seventy-five (75) with the following officers: A. F. Rice, Noble Grand; C. F. Day, Vice Grand; A. L. McClellan, Secretary; W. H. Gould, Treasurer.
Robert Anderson Post, No. 24, Grand Army of the Republic, was granted a charter June 23, 1880, by James W. Sorogage, Department Commander, and Jno. S. Wood, Assistant Adjutant General.
It is named in honor of Gen. Robert Anderson, the hero of Fort Sumter, and its roster of charter members includes the following gentlemen: B. Crabb, Captain Company H, Seventh Iowa Infantry; R. D. Ralston, private, Company H. One Hundred and Nineteenth Illinois Infantry; J. B. Laycock, Sergeant, Company F, Seventh R. P. C. Infantry; John Lett, private, Company E, Eleventh Iowa Infantry; A. W. Gandy, private, Company E, Third Iowa Cavalry; W. M. Knopp, private, Company G, Fiftieth New York Infantry; A. C. Montgomery, private, Company B, Eighty-third Pennsylvania Infantry; S. E. Gandy, private, Company E, Third Iowa Cavalry; E. Granger, private, Company F, Twenty-eighth Iowa Infantry; H. C. Graves, private, Company D, Sixty-fifth Illinois Infantry; J. W. Frost, private, Company I, Seventh Minnesota Infantry; C. Penn, private, Company H, Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry; L. J. Gandy, private, Company H. Seventh Iowa Infantry; George Flock, private, Company D, Sixth Iowa Infantry; D. Hutchinson, private, Company I, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry; A. H. Campbell, private, Company E, Fifty-third Illinois Infantry; W. L. Nichols, private, Company E, Third Wisconsin Infantry; D. W. Keister, private, West Moreland Guards; L. D. Muller, private, Company L, First Indiana Cavalry; J. S. Gray, private, Company E, First Indiana Artillery; H. D. Wright, private, Company I, Eleventh Illinois Infantry; T. V. Smith, musician, Company A, One Hundred and Second Iowa Infantry; G. W. Albem, private, Company C, One Hundred and Forty- eighth Pennsylvania Infantry; J. G. Ells, private, Company E. Tenth Illinois Infantry; N. M. Morgan, private, Company L, Second United States Artillery; S. R. Lichtenberger, Captain, Company D, Fifteenth Illinois Infantry; W. H. Keckley, private, Company E, Thirty-seventh Iowa Infantry; F. M. Dillon, private, Seventh Iowa Battalion; A. M. Fansler, private, Company B, United States Marines. The First Post Commander was B. Crabb, First Senior Vice Commander, D. R. Ralston; First Junior Vice Commander, J. B. Lacock; First Adjutant, John Lett. The post holds a monthly camp-fire on the second Monday of each month, has a membership of seventy-five, and is one of the strongest in the State.
The present officers of the Post are: A. J. Bell, P. C.; J. H. Hamilton, S. V. C.; J. B. Lacock, J. V. C.; George S. Cook, Adjt.; A. H. Campbell, Surgeon; A. D. Wyckoff, Chaplain; H. H. Bowker, D. M; H. C. Grove, O. D.; J. B. Farrel, O. G.
The press of York comprises three enterprising weekly journals, namely: The York Republican, York Tribune and York Times. The Republican is the oldest, and at this writing the official paper of the county. It was founded in the month of May, 1872, under the name of the York Monitor, by F. H. White, who conducted it until the fall of 1873, when he transferred it to E. F. Chittenden. Mr. Chittenden changed its name to the York Record, and was its editor and proprietor until April, 1875, at which date it passed into the hands of Messrs. Morgan and Ross, who issued one number and sold their interest to Messrs Scott and Miller. Its name was again changed to the Sentinel by these gentlemen and operated by them for six months. Mr. Miller sold his interest to F. H. Gerard, and the firm became Messrs. Scott & Gerard. It was under their management for a short time only, when Mr. Gerard became sole proprietor. In April, 1876, Messrs. Morgan and Ross purchased it and changed its name to the York Republican. On July 1, 1876, Lee Love purchased the interest of Mr. Ross and the firm became Messrs. Morgan & Ross. It was operated by them until December, 1878, when E. E. Post purchased Mr. Love's half interest. Mr. Post remained a partner with Mr. Morgan until the first of June, 1881, and then transferred his interest to A. L. McClellan and W. E. Dayton, and the firm became Morgan, McClellan & Dayton. Under the efficient management of these gentlemen it has taken a prominent place in the ranks of journalism, and has done much towards bringing its home city into the favorable notice of business men and settlers in York County.
In politics it supports the Republican standard and is an earnest advocate for the cause of temperance. In size it is a seven column folio, and is printed on a Campbell power press.
York County Tribune.--The Tribune was inauguarated by Frank A. Wellman, and issued its first number in March, 1877. It was under the editorship of Mr. Wellman until the summer of 1880, at which time Messrs. Whedon and Culley became its proprietors. It was under their management for two years, until March 25, 1882, at which date Mr. J. C. Armstrong, its present owner, took possession. It is a neat journal, having many bright features and an eight column folio in size.
York Times,--The Times was established August 13, 1880, at which date it issued its first number. It was founded by Messrs. Adams and Woolman, who retained their ownership until March, 1881, and then transferred it to T. E. Sedgwick, its present editor and proprietor. It is a five column quarto and a bright newsy sheet.