Topography | Early Settlements | Organization | County Roster|
York County Agricultural Society
York: Early history | Incorporation | Schools | First Term of Court|
New York | Local Matters | Elevators | Banks
Nebraska Conference Seminary | Public Schools | Churches
Societies | The Press
3 ~ 5:
ALLAN ~ KNOTT | LANGWORTHY ~ SCOTT
SEDGWICK ~ ZIMMERER
Baker Precinct | Bradshaw: Biographical Sketches|
West Blue Precinct: Church History
Beaver Creek Precinct | North Blue Precinct|
Henderson Precinct: Biographical Sketches
Houston Precinct: Biographical Sketches
Stewart Precinct: | Woodruff Precinct|
List of Illustrations in York County Chapter
CHARLES B. ALLAN, general fire/life and accident insurance agent, came to Nebraska in 1872; settled first in Beaver Creek Precinct, York Co., where he taught school for three years, and was one of the first teachers in the county. At the expiration of that time he settled down in York, where he commenced reading law in the office of G. B. France, but soon abandoned that to take up the insurance business, of which he has made a specialty; being the only exclusive insurance agent in the county. In 1879 he was elected City Clerk of York, and is now serving on his third term. The subject of this sketch was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., July 11, 1856, being the son of Horace J. and Philinda G. Allan (neeThrall), who were of Scotch and English descent. He received an education at the seminary in his native State, afterward coming West as above. He was married at York, in 1881, to Miss Effie Cutter, of Boston, Mass. He was an original member of the T. of H. at York, and the second recording secretary of that society; leader First Regimental N. N. G. Is a also a member of the Congregational Church.
JOHN W. ANDREWS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, Town 11, Range 2 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1870, and homesteaded 160 acres of land one mile north of York. He was one of the very first settlers on the divide lands north of Beaver Creek. He has since purchased forty acres more, and this in addition to his homestead, makes a fine farm--130 acres being under cultivation, the remainder in pasture. He was born in Chittenden County, Vt., June 5, 1838; son of Isaac and Harriet Andrews (nee Farr). of old New England stock. They came to Henry County, Iowa, in 1853, and here John lived, going to school and working on the farm with his father, till 1861. In September of that year he enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, and veteranized in the same regiment in November, 1863. After serving till the close of the rebellion, he returned to Iowa and engaged at farming. Mr. Andrews has been Assessor of his precinct one term. He has been married twice. The first time in February, 1861, to Miss Mary J. Barnes, of Iowa, who died September 30, 1867. She had three children, two of whom are living, Leonard F. and Milo M. He married his present wife, Mary J. Milligan in September, 1878, by whom he has one sone--Herman.
EDWARD E. ARMOR, Superintendent of Public Instruction in York County, came to Nebraska in 1872, with his parents, Thomas C. and Mary B. Armor, who settled on Section 18, town 9, Range 3 west, in Henderson Precinct. The subject of this sketch was born in Green County, Wis., receiving his education in the High School at Lodi, Columbia Co., same State. After coming to Nebraska he engaged at farming, teaching school during the winters, and in 1879 was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction in York County, and in 1881 was re-elected to that position. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York, also of the Good Templars at that place, and is a member of the State Teachers' Association.
BEHLING, MEISSNER & CO., dealers in general merchandise. This firm consists of Herman Behling, Charles Meissner and Charles Nicolal, who came from Oshkosh, Wis., and started this store. The main room is 24 x 80, with a room adjacent 25 x 50, the whole being filled with the largest and most complete stock of general merchandise to be found in the county. In 1881 they did a business of $65,000, this being an increase of $11,000 on their first year's sales. H. Behling, senior member of this firm, was born in Wisconsin, November 30, 1849, and was partner with the extensive firm of E. L. Hughes & Co., of Oshkosh, previous to coming to Nebraska. C. L. Meissner, of the above firm, is also a native of Wisconsin; born in Oshkosh, Wis., with Bigger & Clark Bros. Charles Nicolal was born in the same State as the above, December 23, 1854.
ANDREW J. BELL, clerk of the District Court, and of the firm of Bell & Cook, abstractors, came to Nebraska in July, 1867, and first located near Brownville, Nemaha Co., where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for two years; then went to Johnson, in the same county, where he operated a brick yard for one year, and afterward served as Deputy-Clerk and Sheriff for three years under Gharles Woodley, Clerk, and C. F. Bryant, Sheriff. In the spring of 1875 changed his abode to Crete, Saline County, and commenced working at the harness trade, which he had previously learned at Dayton, Ohio, and in the year following came to York, where he was employed in the County Clerk's office until the fall of 1879. The people, being so well pleased at the efficient manner in which he discharged the duties and responsibilities of that position, elected him clerk of the District Court at the fall elections of the same year, which office he holds at this writing. The subject of this sketch was born in Dayton, Ohio, August 30, 1840, being the son of John S. and Zipporah Bell, nee Cock; received his literary education in his native State, graduating from the Dayton Central High School in 1859. At the breaking out of the rebellion he enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H, and served three years, during which time he was in all the engagements of his regiment. He is one of the original members of the Robert Anderson Post No. 17, of the G. A. R., of York, and is commander of the same at this writing. Is also a a member of I. O. O. F., in York Lodge, No 35, and a member of the K. of P., at Tecumseh, Neb. He was married in 1878, at York to Miss Lucy A. Young, who was born in Illinois, and is a daughter of C. R. Young, now a merchant of Hampton, Neb.
[Bell's Block--F. O. Bell, Prop.]
FRANK O. BELL, lumber merchant at York, came to Nebraska in April, 1871, settled in York where he opened a general merchandise store in company with his his brother J. H. The building in which they conducted their business was a small frame, then located near where the Central Hotel now stands, and had previously been occupied as a store by Ellwood Bros. They having abandoned the field the use of this building was donated (by Mrs. Goast, the town agent then living at Lincoln) to F. O. Bell and brother for six months, the consideration being that they put in a stock of merchandise in order to start the town. At the expiration of three years they started a lumber yard in York, which was the first one in the county. The first year's receipts being only twenty-five car loads, but the business increased until in 1878, received 268 car loads, a portion of which was consumed in Polk and Hamilton counties. He is also interested in a lumber yard at Ord, Valley County, this State; is also a shareholder and director in the Commercial State Bank of York. Mr. B. is a native of Pennsylvania, was born in Westmoreland County, December 8, 1848. When five years old, his parents moved to Ashland County, Ohio, where he remained until sixteen, then came west to Henry County, Iowa, where his occupation was that of a farmer until he came to Nebraska. Served as Postmaster of York, for three years, and was an original member of the Presbyterian Church at that place. He was married in the spring of 1874, in Henry County, Iowa, to Miss Anna E. Serviss, a native of Michigan. Mr. F. O. Bell is the proprietor of a handsome brick block, one of the finest in the city.
BIDWELL & CHAPIN, machinery house. Franklin A. Bidwell, senior member of this firm, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., February 22, 1836. He is the son of Luther and Lydia Bidwell, who were of New England parentage. His mother's name before marriage was Groff. His father died when Franklin was but a child, and after receiving an education in his native State he went to Wisconsin, in 1856, locating in Washington County. Here he was employed as school teacher, merchant and at various other occupations until 1867. Then came to Lancaster County, Neb., and started a general merchandise store on the old steam wagon road or cut-off to Fort Kearney, where he continued to do business until the capital was established at Lincoln. In 1870 he was employed in the land office of the B. & M. R. R., to dispose of their lands west of Lincoln, and in 1871 permanently located in York, as agent for them in that county, holding said position until 1877. In addition to this he dealt in grain, lumber, and agricultural implements. He was married to his first wife, Miss Nettie Howie, in Wisconsin, in 1868, who died in Nebraska, in 1869. Was married the second time at York, Neb., in May, 1872, to Miss Maria S. Hice, this being the first marriage ceremony performed in that town. Mr. Bidwell has been one of the school directors most of the time since his residence at York, and is one of the original members of the Congregational Church at said place. Rev. Henry H. Chaplin, of the above firm, came to York in the spring of 1876, and commenced dealing in lumber and agricultural implements, but has since dropped the former business, the firm being devoted exclusively to all kinds of farm machinery, wagons, etc., and the most extensive dealers in the county. He was born in Saline County, N. Y., January 3, 1842, and in 1872 entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Pennsylvania. Is now pastor of the Waco Circuit, Neb. He was married in February, 1879, to Miss Sudie Knapp.
RICHARD D. BOOKER, farmer, Section 14, Town 10, Range 3 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871. He located first at Lincoln, but in the spring following came to York County, and took up a homestead of eighty acres, which he now has under a state of high cultivation, with all the improvements and conveniences pertaining to a well regulated farm. He also has a lot of choice fruit trees. Mr. B. was born in Sullivan County, Ind., July 15, 1837; moved with his parents to Illinois in 1852. In 1858 Mr. Booker was married to Miss Harriet W. Hastings. She was born in Ohio in the year 1840. She died in the year 1861, leaving one child, Melissa A. In 1863 he was married again to Miss Sarah E. Reed, by whom he has had six children--Harriet P., now married to M. D. Chambers; Luetta M., Minnie J., Laura B., William A., and Courtney A. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
LORENZO D. BRAKEMAN, farmer, Section 4, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York, was born in Trumoull County, Ohio, September 8, 1824. He is the son of Lewis S. and Elizabeth Brakeman. His mother's maiden name was Coon. They moved to Pennsylvania when Lorenzo D. was but a boy, and here he received a limited education, and worked on the farm with his father. He was a soldier in the late war, in the One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, Company H. After the war he returned to Pennsylvania, where he remained until the spring of 1870, when he came to Nebraska, making the entire trip from Mercer County, Pennsylvania, to his present home in this State in a wagon with his wife and nine children. They landed in York County September 4, 1870, and on the 4th of January, 1871, his wife died, whom he had married in Pennsylvania, March 11, 1846. Her maiden name was Sarah Thompson. She was buried in York Cemetery. This was one of the first deaths in the precinct. He was married to his present wife, Mrs. Mary A. Kenison, whose maiden name was Cross, April 29, 1875. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York. Mr. Brakeman was one of the original members of this church.
REV. DAVID BROADWELL, farmer, Section 23, Town 10, Range 3 west, P.O. York, was born in Orange County, Ind., September 2, 1822. He is a son of Henry and Elizabeth Broadwell, whose maiden name was Polson. He received an academic education in his native State, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits till 1863, when he was ordained Deacon in the Methodist Episcopal Church, but had previous to this time been licensed to preach, which he did in addition to farming and part of the time taught school. He married March 28, 1850, in Indiana, Miss Catharine Welty. He lived for fifteen years in Gibson County, of that State, and in 1872 came to Nebraska. He purchased 160 acres of land from the B. & M. R. R. CO., and in the spring of the year following moved his family from their former home in Indiana. Here he has lived, improving his farm and laboring for the cause of Christianity. He now has one 100 acres under cultivation, and a six acre grove of timber. His family consists of five girls and two boys.
STEPHEN P. BUCKMASTER, Deputy County Clerk of York County, came to Nebraska October 19, 1869, and took up a claim on Section 4, Town 10, Range 3 west, York Precinct, and four miles west of the present city of York. This he homesteaded, and was among the very first settlers in the precinct, making this his home until 1879. In the fall of 1871 his political career began, being then elected County Judge, which position he held two years, discharging the duties of that office ably and efficiently. He has also served as Clerk at various times in the offices of the Clerk and County Treasurer, assisting in the duties of the said office, and has always taken an active part in the public enterprises for the good and welfare of his town and county. He was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, January 29, 1848, being the son of George W. and Sarah Buckmaster, who were of German and English extraction; his mother's maiden name was Chantry. His parents moved to Missouri in 1855, and were living there at the outbreak of the rebellion. His father enlisted in the Twenty-first Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Company B, and died while in service, May 13, 1862, at St. Louis, from disease contracted in the army. His mother and her children then returned to Iowa, where the subject of this sketch lived until he came to Nebraska, in 1869. In the following spring he returned to Iowa, and married Esther Bowles, April 14, 1870. His family now consists of two sons and two daughters. Mr. B. and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York. He belongs to the York Lodge, No. 35, I. O. O. F.
RICHARD CARSCADDEN, M.D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, was born in Canada, February 1, 1840, where he received his literary education, having attended the Albert College for sometime. In 1863 he came to the United States and entered the Medical Department University of Michigan, and remained one year. Came to Chicago and studied in Prof. R. Dexter's office as a private student for over a year. In 1865 attended lectures in Rush Medical College, graduating in the class of 1866, after which he attended lectures in Hahnemann Medical College (homeopathic). He practiced as an old school physician for nearly three years, but since 1869 has been in the homeopathic practice. In 1868 he removed to Sharon, Walworth County, Wis., at the end of five years located in De Pere, Brown County, Wis., where he resided when he came to Nebraska on account of failing health in the spring of 1879, and located at York, and has since practiced his profession, being the only physician of his school in the county, and Vice-President of the Nebraska State Homeopathic Medical Association. He was married at Wheaton, Ill., in 1871, to Miss Clara A. Sedgwick. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York.
WILLIAM G. CHAPMAN, merchant, was born in Beaver County, Penn., May 30, 1843, son of John and Margaret Chapman. His father was of English and Welch descent, and a descendant of Samuel Chapman, one of the very first settlers west of the Ohio River. His mother, whose maiden name was Seager, was of German extraction. The subject of this sketch received a liberal education, and then worked on a farm with his parents, and at various occupations till 1863, then enlisted with Company K, of the Sixty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and after serving one year was transferred to One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Zouaves, and in this served till the close of the war, taking part in twenty-two principal battles, and during this time was promoted to Corporal. In September, in May 1871, moved to Nebraska, and took up a homestead in York County, Section 6, Town 9, Range 4, west, Henderson Precinct, and was among the first settlers on the tableland of the precinct. Here he lived improving his land till August, 1881, when he started a grocery and confectionery store in York. He was the first school director of district No. 31, and was also constable of Henderson Precinct. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge No. 35, and one of the G. A. R. Robert Anderson Post No. 32. Mr. Chapman was married December 24, 1868, in Iowa to Miss Barbara Seifert, who was born in Schenectady County, N.Y., by whom he has five children, William W., John T., Ella, Nettie and Albert.
CHESSMAN & DAVIDSON, grain and stock dealers, York. George P. Chessman of this firm, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1878, but did not locate at York till the following spring. First started in the lumber trade, and in the fall of 1874 bought and shipped the first grain from York adopting that as his business. He was born in Cumberland County, N.J., December 20, 1835. His parents removed to DuPage County, Ill., in 1852, where George P. enlisted in 1861 in the Eighth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, under Col. Farnsworth, of Illinois. After the war he returned to Illinois and farmed until he came to Nebraska. Was married in DuPage County, Ill., October 30, 1865, to Martha, daughter of Rev. S. S. Harrison, one of the early settlers of said county. He is a member of the Congregational Church. Joseph M. Davidson, of the above firm, is a native of Tompkins County, N. Y., born January 13, 1841. Removed to LaSalle County, Ill., with his parents, in 1853. Here he was employed as a farmer till 1863, when he commenced the grain business. This he followed in Illinois until 1877, when he came to York, Neb., and became associated with the above firm. They were proprietors of the first steam elevator at York, and have one both at Waco, York County, and at Aurora, Hamilton County. to show the advancement of the products of the county, since Mr. Chessman's first years' shipments, of 51 carloads, we quote the following figures, taken from their books for 1881: From York they shipped of wheat, 100 carloads, corn 120, flax 10, barley 7, rye 8, and hogs 40. From Waco, wheat 125, corn 110, barley 10, rye 5, and hogs 36. From Aurora, Hamilton County, wheat 145 and corn 75. total, 851 carloads.
ANSON B. CODDING, County Surveyor, and Land Agent of York County, is the son of Robert F. and Charlotte E. Codding, was born in Ontario County, N.Y., January 19, 1835. His parents were of English descent, and in 1837, changed their place of abode in the State of New York, to Summit County, Ohio, and his father engaged at farming, surveying and insurance agent. Anson B. acquired a common school education, devoting his leisure hours to the study of surveying. At the age of fifteen years, entered the Oberlin College, where he studied higher mathematics and surveying for one and a half years, then returned home and taught school during the winter months, and attended Baldwin Institute in Berea, Ohio, some of the time till 1855. From this time until 1872, he was principally engaged at school teaching, but in the mean time went to Minnesota for two years, and with a civil engineer, helped survey town plats, and the sub-division of sections, near St. Peter. In the spring of 1872, Mr. C. came to Nebraska, and settled a homestead on Section 34, town 12, Range 3 west, Houston Precinct, York County, where he had homesteaded the fall previous. While there, he served one term as Justice of the Peace, and in 1875, having been elected Surveyor of York County, removed to the town of York, and has been re-elected to the office five consecutive terms. He has also been City Engineer of York ever since its incorporation as a city, and one term as Councilman, and has always taken an active part in the advancement of the public enterprises of his town and county. Mr. O., his wife and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, York. Mrs. Codding's maiden name was Louisa W. Wirt, born in Summit County, Ohio. They were married in Lee County, Ill., in 1858. They are the parents of three children, living--Minnie E., Roy G. and Robbie A. Mr. C. owns 280 acres of farm land, all under his own supervision.
ISAAC CRABLE, farmer, Section 8, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in May, 1869, and homesteaded the land on which he now lives. He was the second settler in York Precinct, L. F. Wyman having preceded him about six months. Mr. Crable was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, March 1, 1821. He is the son of Abraham and Sarah Crable. His father is of German descent. His mother's maiden name was Davis. When he was fourteen years of age, his parents moved to Vermillion Co., Ill., and engaged in agricultural pursuits, and here the subject of this sketch received his education. September 15, 1841, he was married to Miss Rachel Watts, and in 1854, removed with his family to Boone County, Iowa, where he followed farming, and thence to Nebraska, as above. Both he and his wife are original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York. He has two sons--John James and Frank Robert.
CHARLES F. DAY, farmer, Section 18, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in March, 1871, and homesteaded the land described above, and was among the early settlers in the precinct. He was born in Luzerne County, PA., September 23, 1846, the son of Layton and Susan Day, neeWard, who died when Charles F. was but a small boy, leaving four children, of whom he was the youngest. Consequently the family was scattered, and the subject of this sketch went to live with Mr. L. Gilbert, and went with him to Iowa, when eleven years old. At the age of thirteen, he was thrown upon his own resources, and worked out by the month among the farmers. In November, 1862, he enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, and served till the close of the Rebellion, when he returned to Iowa, and resumed his former occupation, farming. Was married there in November, 1868, to Miss Laura Pierce, a native of Vermont. He is a member of the G. A. R. Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, also of the I. O. O. F.,York Lodge, No. 35.
HORTON M. DETRICK, farmer, Section 30, Township 11, Range 2 west, P.O., York, is a Pennsylvanian, born October 26, 1835, in Luzerne County, Wilkesbarre. He is the son of Jacob and Hannah Detrick, who were both of German lineage. Horton M. lived at home with his parents, going to school and working for his father, who was a contractor and builder, until 1856. Then emigrated with his father to Iowa, where his father purchased a farm, which he helped to run in addition to following his trade. In September, 1862, he enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, and in 1864 veteraned in the same regiment and afterward served until the close of the Rebellion, and was wounded in the right shoulder at Columbus, Ga., in the last battle of his regiment. Mr. D. made his home in Iowa till the spring of 1871, when he came to Nebraska, and homesteaded the land described above, consisting of 160 acres, one mile north of the city of York. He has it all under a high state of cultivation, with a beautiful grove and a nice young orchard. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. York Lodge, No 35, being initiated at the first meeting of the same. He was married in Iowa to Miss Jennie C. Andrews, formerly from Virginia. They are the parents of five children--Effie E. Jesse W., Estella N., Hiram E. and Lula.
JOHN A. EATHERLY, broker, York came to Nebraska in August, 1867, locating at Plattsmouth where he was employed as clerk in a general merchandise store until 1868. Then went to Milford, where he started the first store in the town in company with J. E. Doom. In 1871, the firm was changed to Cummins & Eatherly and remained so until the fall of 1873, when Mr. Eatherly removed to Gage County. In May, 1874, he came to York and opened a store, in company with his former partner, Cummins. In 1876 he bought out his partner's interest, running it himself till 1879, when he was elected County Clerk of York. He was born in Wilson County, Tenn., April 9, 1848. He was married in York in 1876, to Miss Euphia Wilson, who was born in Scotland.
ALBERT E. FINCH, stock raiser, residence York, came to Nebraska in April, 1881, settling at York, where he opened a loan and broker's office. In the fall of the same year started a stock ranch in Custer County, Neb., where he now owns a section of land, 200 acres of it being under cultivation. Owns 350 head of graded cattle, employing three men to take care of them and operate his farm. The subject of this sketch was born in Greene County, N.Y.,, Town of Greenville, on the 4th of February, 1842. Son of Salvinas and Mary E. Finch, neeMeade, who were both natives of that State. Was employed in the city of Albany, by the firm of Mather Bros., wholesale grocery house, as collecting agent, which position he retained for twelve years, resigning it to come West. Was married in Albany County, N.Y., Town of Westerlo, December 26, 1867, to Elizabeth Winston, a native of that State.
GEORGE B. FRANCE, attorney-at-law, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1868 locating at Milford, Seward County, where he was appointed Deputy County Clerk under William A. Reed, and in connection with this official duty taught school during the winter of 1868 and 1869, being the first public school teacher in the Village of Milford. In the fall of 1869, he was elected first School Superintendent of Seward County, his territory also extending over York County, which was attached to Seward for judicial purposes until York County was organized. This position he held for three consecutive terms, his time expiring January 4, 1876. Then came to York and continued the practice of law, exclusively. Here he has since made his home and practiced his profession. The subject of this sketch was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, January 10, 1837, being the son of Adam and Lydia France. His mother's maiden name was Griffith. He received his literary education at Oberlin College, in the State in which he was born. In 1861, he enlisted at LaPorte, Ind., in the Twenty-first Indiana Battery, and served until August 8, 1862, when he met with an accident caused by the explosion of artillery ammunition at University Springs, on the Cumberland Mountains, in Tennessee. This so disabled him that he was unfit for further service, and he returned home. He took a regular law course at Ann Arbor, Mich., where he graduated in the spring of 1868, and during the same year was a political speaker throughout the State of Indiana for Grant's campaign. He was married September 1, 1874, to Edith M., daughter of Abraham and Sallie Courtright, of Seward County, Neb. He is a charter member of the Blue River Lodge, No. 30, of the A., F. & A. M., and has been a member of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Society since 1871. He is now a member of the York Lodge, No. 56, and has served two years as master of the same.
MARTIN C. FRANK, junior member of Scott & Frank, is a native of Indiana, having been born in Harrison County, on the 15th of February, 1855. After receiving a common school education, he read law in the office of Judge Mason at Cannelton, Ind., and was first admitted to the bar in 1878. Came to Nebraska in 1879, and was re-admitted to the bar here the same year, after which he became associated with the above firm. Was married at York, November 15, 1880, to Miss Lizzie Keller, who was born in the same State as himself.
LEMUEL J. GANDY, real estate agent, etc., is a native of West Virginia, born December 28, 1840, in Preston County. His parents were Samuel and Catherine Gandy, nee Mathew. His mother was of German extraction, his father a descendent from the early English settlers of Jamestown, Va. In 1851 they emigrated to Iowa, locating in Davis County, where the subject of this sketch received a common school education, and worked on the farm with his father. In 1861 he enlisted in Company H. of the Seventh Iowa Volunteer infantry, and served for nine months, after which he was discharged, ill health unfitting him for further service. He returned home and finished his course of education at the Troy Academy of Iowa. In 1865 Mr. Gandy was married to Margaret C. Rouch, removing to Adams County, same State and engaged at farming. During the fall of 1870 came to Nebraska, and in April of the year following, took up a soldiers' claim of 160 acres, on Section 22, Township 11, Range 3 west, York Precinct. On this he lived two years, improving it, then engaged in merchandising in York till the fall of 1873. Mr. Gandy was elected County Treasurer of York, for four consecutive terms, the last expiring January 1, 1882. He filled this position with credit to himself and the people who placed him there, but his political opponents sought to ruin his official career by trying to impeach his integrity, but after a thorough investigation by the County Commissioners and experts employed by them to sift the matter in the most satisfactory manner possible, it was proved that there was not the slightest cause to find fault with any of Mr. Gandy's accounts or records, and this was so declared by the report of E. A. Morgan, an expert accountant, and endorsed by the County Commissioners, as follows: "After critical examination, we find that all moneys received by the County Treasurer, L. J. Gandy, from State apportionments, tax collections, licenses, etc., have been honestly and fully accounted for, by him, and balance paid to his successor." Mr. Gandy is a charter member of York Lodge, No. 35, I. O. O. F., also of Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, G.A.R. His family comprises three children: Carrie J., Elmer L., Ettie E., and had a son who died December 23, 1872, at the age of five years.
WILLIAM W. GIFFEN, County Judge of York County, came to Nebraska in 1875, locating in Crete, Saline Co. remained there but a short time and then entered the Iowa State University, at Iowa City, where he graduated in the law class of 1876, and soon after took a trip through California, from which he returned and settled at York, Neb., in June, 1877, where he began practicing his profession, which was that of a lawyer. In the spring following was elected City Treasurer of York, serving in that capacity for three terms, and in the fall of 1881 was elected to his present position. Mr. Giffen is a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., born December 14, 1853. Received an academic education at Sewickley, in his native State, and was afterward a student of Knox College, at Galesburg, Ill. He is a member of the Temple of Honor. He was married in Johnson County, Neb., to Miss ReElla Bryson. they are both members of the Presbyterian Church, at York.
LIEUT. JAMES H. HAMILTON, Sheriff of York County, came to Nebraska in the winter of 1876, settling in Houston Precinct, York Co., on Section 2, Township 12, Range 3 west where he purchased 160 acres of land. Here he lived improving his farm until 1878, when he moved to York, and was appointed Deputy Sheriff, under J. P., Miller and in the fall of 1891 succeeded that gentleman as County Sheriff. Was born in Shelby County, Ind., on the 6th of April, 1842, being the son of William and Nancy Hamilton, neeBilsingson. they removed to Hancock County, Ill., when James H. was but a small child, where they followed farming till 1855, and then emigrated to Wapello County, Iowa. Here the subject of this sketch was living at the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he enlisted for the first three months call, in the First Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company E. In March 1862, re-enlisted in the Seventeenth Iowa Infantry Volunteers, Company E, and veteraned in the same regiment in 1863, serving till the close of the war, and during this time was commissioned first to Second Sergeant, and afterward Second Lieutenant of Company E. then returned to Iowa and resumed farming, where he lived till his removal to Nebraska. Is a member of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No 32, and of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35. He was married in Iowa, October 26, 1865, to Miss Lucy Graves, who was born in Ohio, and by whom he has two children: Thomas E. and and Katie E.
ALBERT E. HENDRICKS, furniture dealer and undertaker, was born in Wapello County, Iowa, March 8, 1845. He is the son of John J. and Ellen Hendricks, nee Shannon, this former of German and the latter of Irish descent. In 1854 they emigrated to Missouri, his father being a farmer. Albert E. went to Kentucky, but returned to Missouri in 1860. He was a soldier in the United States army during the Rebellion enlisting in February, 1862, in the Second Missouri M. S. M. Cavalry and served a little more than two years. Then re-enlisted in the thirteenth Missouri Veteran Cavalry and served until May 20, 1866. Returned to Missouri and engaged in various occupations till March, 1871, when he came to Nebraska and took up a soldier's claim on Section 2, Town 10, Range 3 West, York Precinct, which he afterwards homesteaded. Was employed in the lightning rod business in connection with farming until December, 1881, when he embarked in the above business in York. He was census enumerator in Baker Precinct for 1880. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35, and of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32. He was married in Henry County, Iowa, in 1869, to Martha A. Barns, a native of that State.
CHARLES HILL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Town 11, Range 3 west, P.O. York, is a native of England. Was born in Yorkshire, June 4, 1840. He is the son of Charles and Mary Hill, neeTrain, who emigrated to the United States in 1850. They settled in Clinton County, Iowa, where the subject of this sketch went to school and worked on his father's farm until 1861. Then became a soldier in the Rebellion enlisting in the Eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company A, but after serving for eleven months was discharaged on account of ill health, caused from exposure in the army. After recovering, he enlisted with Company D, of the Twenty-sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, in the latter part of 1862, and served until the close of the war. Returned to Iowa and resumed farming with his parents till 1867, when he was married to Miss Rosa Echelburger, who was born in Ohio. He then commenced farming for himself and in the spring of 1870 came to Nebraska and homesteaded the place where he now lives. Owns 160 acres of which 110 are under plow, the remainder fenced for pasture for his stock of which he has about eighty head of graded cattle, besides horses, hogs and other stock. Mr. Hill's family contains seven children: Nellie K., Lorenzo D., Charles A. W., George M., Bird E., Owen B., and Reno. The eldest boy, Lorenzo, was the first white child born in York Precinct.
DAVID I. HUNTER, farmer, Section 25, town 11, Range 3 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1877, and purchased the land upon which he now lives. This consists of 240 acres of excellent farm land but was entirely unbroken when he bought it. He now has 190 acres under plow and forty acres of pasture. His farm is only one and one-half miles north of York and is surrounded by a row of box-elder trees one and one-half miles long. The subject of this sketch was born in Miami County, Ohio, March 2, 1851. He was the son of John G. and Lottie Hunter, who were of Scotch origin. His mother's maiden name was Erwin. He removed to Winnebago County, Ill., with his parents when but a small boy where he remained, engaged at farming, till his removal to this State. His parents are both members of the Presbyterian Church, York.
NATHAN JOHNSON, farmer, Section 20, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York was born in Kent County, R.I., November 15, 1840. While a boy his parents removed to New York State and in 1861 he enlistred in the Rebellion, Forty-ninth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company D., and after serving for over three years was taken prisoner at the battle of the Wilderness and kept five months in confinement at Andersonville and about the same length of time at Florence, S.C. He received a gunshot wound in the right hip in May, 1863, at the battle of Chancellorsville. He then returned to New York, and during the winter of 1866 came to Jefferson County, Iowa, where he engaged at farming for a short time. Then left Iowa and went to Illinois, but at the expiration of two years returned to Iowa, where he remained until his removal to this State in the fall of 1871. Took up a homestead and in the following spring moved out his family. His wife's maiden name was Eleanor Graham, to whom he was married in Iowa, November 1, 1867. He is a member of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32.
JOHN C. KILNER, farmer, residence one mile south of York, was formerly from England; was born in Yorkshire. His parents were William and Sarah Kilner, old residents of Yorkshire; his father being an extensive glass bottle manufacturer. John C. followed this occupation from 1869 to 1876, and was then sent to America in charge of a collection of their good to be put on exhibition at the Centennial Exposition. The firm of Kilner Bros., of which he was the junior member, received a medal for the best and finest lot on exhibition. During the same year Mr. Kilner made a visit to his brother in York County, Neb., and being very favorably impressed with the country, concluded to stay here. Went into partnership with his brother in farming and stock-raising, and bought 1,120 acres of land in Stewart Precinct. He then went back to England, but during the spring following returned to America and settled on his farm. Here he lived until the spring of 1882, when he moved to his present residence. His brother having met with a serious accident, being kicked by a horse, had returned to England for treatment, consequently they had dissolved partnership. The subject of this sketch owns over 720 acres of good farm land, 560 of it under plow, and the remainder fenced for pasture for stock, of which he has over 100 head graded. Mr. Kilner is secretary of the York County Agricultural Society, and is a gentleman well adapted to fill this position, as he is greatly interested in the agricultural advancement of the county and the success of the same. His wife was Miss Lenna Hammond, one of the first settlers in York, Neb.
DR. WILLIAM M. KNAPP, physician and surgeon, was born in Stenben County, N.Y., January 20, 1847. After receiving an academic course of education, he entered the Medical College at Detroit, Mich., where he took a series of lectures, and the same year became a student of the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was a graduate in the spring of 1872. He then practiced one year at Macomb, Ill., and in 1873 came West, settling in York, Neb. Here he resumed the practice of his profession, and is now the oldest resident physician in York and Hamilton counties. He is a member of both the Nebraska State Medical Society and the Central Nebraska Medical Association, being Vice-President of the former in 1880, and President of the latter at this writing. He is surgeon for the B. & M. R. R. Co. at York, and reprensented York and Hamilton counties in the State Senate one term. He was an original member of the York Lodge, No. 56, A., F. & A. M., and first Master of the said lodge, and also one of the organizing members of Robert Anderson Post, No. 17, of the G. A. R. He was a soldier in the late rebellion, enlisting in 1864, in the Fiftieth New York Volunteer Engineers, and serving until the close of the same. He was married in York, in 1876, to Miss E. A. Beecher, a teacher in the public school of that place, and formerly from Illinois.
JOHN S. KNOTT, dealer in general merchandise, York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1862, locating at Nebraska City. Commenced freighting across the plains, but on the second trip stopped in Colorado, and kept toll-gate nine miles east of Denver. After pursuing this two years, he went to Montana and mined for a short time; then returned to Nebraska and went into the grain business, at Peru, but abandoning this, he followed various occupations till the fall of 1877, when he came to York and started as a merchant in a small way. Has since moved into a large store with an increased stock, and now does an annual business of $20,000. He is a native of Marion County, Ky.; born May 18, 1834. Was married in Missouri, in 1860, to Miss Mollie Burns, a native of Buchanan County, that State, by whom he has three children--Jennie E., Lena and James P.