Adams County | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles | Organization|
Criminal | First Things | Railroads
Manufactures | County Seat Removals | County Poor Farm|
Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society | Farmer's Alliance
Public Schools | Towns
Hastings: Banks | Manufactures | The Press|
Hastings (cont.): Societies | Religious | Liberal Hall | Schools|
Fire Department | Telephone Exchange
5 ~ 8:
ABBOTT ~ FRINK | GANT ~ McCLELLAN
McCULLY ~ SAMPLE | SCALES ~ YEAZEL
Juniata: Banks | Flouring Mill | Societies | Religious|
The Press | Schools
Juniata: Biographical Sketches|
Ayr: Biographical Sketches|
Kenesaw: First Things | Religious | Educational | The Press|
Hansen: Biographical Sketches
List of Illustrations in Adams County Chapter
GANT ~ McCLELLAN
GANT, HARRIS & MARQUIS, wholesale and retail dealers in agricultural implements, harvesting machinery, etc. This firm purchased the old established implement business of Stabler & Deisher, at this place, October 6, 1881. They carry the largest stock of implements in Hastings, and handle a very large amount of harvesting machinery. The old firm had the largest trade in their line in this place, and their successors are striving to maintain the same with success. They are also agents for Croft's improved iron windmill and for the principal manufacturers of reapers, mowers, threshing machines and wagons. They have also branch houses at Doniphan, Blue Hill and Glenville, Neb. J. E. Gant, of this firm, has had considerable experience in the implement business. He entered into this line of business some five years ago at Des Moines, Iowa, as clerk and salesman, and was afterward employed as a traveling salesman in that State. He then traveled in the State of Nebraska for some three years, representing Messrs. Seymore, Sabin & Co., threshing machines, and discontinued with them to form this firm. J. W. Harris, the second partner of the firm, came to this State in 1873, and located in Republican Valley, Webster County, where he was engaged in farming two years; afterward in butcher business at Bloomington, Neb., for a year or more. He came to Hastings in June, 1877, and entered the employ of Messrs. Stabler & Deisher, dealers in implements, etc., remaining with them as shipping clerk and salesman until the formation of the present firm. James Marquis, the remaining partner, was formerly a resident of Des Moines, Iowa. He learned the trade of carpenter there, and was engaged as journeyman and contractor for some ten years. In 1877, he opened a coal yard at that place, in company with J. F. N. Drake, under the style of Marquis & Co. This firm continued business for two years. Afterward Mr. Hastings took the business and conducted it alone for two years. He came to Hastings, Neb., August 19, 1881, and was employed as a carpenter until he entered into his present business. He gives his attention to the mechanical part of the business and to the receiving and shipping of goods.
REV. JOHN W. GREENWOOD, A. B., M. A., rector of the Episcopal Church, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1851. He took a classical course of four years at the University of Rochester, graduating in June, 1873, after which he pursued his theological studies at Berkeley Divinity School, Middletown, Conn., graduating there in June, 1876; immediately after which he was ordained at St. Luke's Church, Rochester, N. Y., by Bishop Coxe, of Western New York. Mr. Greenwood was in charge of Christ Church, Cuba, Allegany Co., N. Y., for twenty-two months; after which he retired from active labors in the church on account of ill-health. In the spring of 1879, on returning from Europe, he was appointed to St. John's Church, Honeoye Falls, N. Y., remaining there one year. He was then transferred to Nebraska, and came to Hastings in 1880. He at once organized and built St. Mark's Church, at this place, and on September 1, 1881, he organized St. John's Parish, at Harvard, Clay Co., Neb.; since which time he has been in charge of both parishes.
L. J. HALSTED, farmer and breeder of blooded stock, P. O. Hastings, West Blue Precinct, was born in Franklin County, Ind., August 8, 1827, and resided there, assisting his parents in farming, etc., until twenty-seven years of age. He then went to La Salle County, Ill., where he conducted a farm for some thirteen years, after which he changed his base of operations to Livingston, County, Ill. In 1871, he entered into stock breeding, carrying it on in that county on quite an extensive scale for ten years. Mr. Halsted came to Nebraska to reside in October, 1881, locating in the precinct of West Blue, Adams County. He has some 320 acres of land in this neighborhood, and 400 more in another part of the county. He brought with him here two car loads of blooded stock from Illinois, and makes specialties of breeding Durham and Hereford cattle, Poland-China hogs, and Normandy horses. Mr. Halsted has had a large experience in this business, and is ably assisted by his sons.
LEVI P. HAWLEY, grocer, was born in Hampshire County, Mass., and resided with his parents on a farm until twenty-one years of age. He married at this time, and stayed in Massachusetts three years, then removed to Winnebago County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming for himself for some four years; afterward removed to Chickasaw County, Iowa, and engaged in same capacity until August, 1862, when he enlisted in the Thirty-eighth Iowa Infantry, and was shortly transferred to the Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and served twenty-seven months. He was wounded in the right side by a rifle bullet at Old Town Creek, Miss. In November, 1864, he returned to his farm in Chickasaw County. He remained there two years, and then removed to Calmar, Iowa, and started a store of general merchandise, and from there removed to Lawler, Iowa, and engaged in merchandise trade, and, in the fall of 1872, removed to Nebraska, having in the previous July taken up 160 acres of land under the soldiers' homestead act in West Blue Precinct, Adams County. He resided on the same some six years, coming to Hastings in the fall of 1878, at which time he engaged in his present business. Mr. Hawley still owns his farm of 160 acres, which he rents, and also owns a free claim of 160 acres in Hall County, Neb.
JAMES B. HEARTWELL & CO., brokers and investing agents. James B. Heartwell, the senior member of the firm, was born in Seneca County, N. Y., July 4, 1843. He began business life at the age of twenty-two years as bookkeeper in the First National Bank at Geneva, N. Y., and remained with them some five years, during which time he was assistant cashier, and also cashier. In 1870, he went to Des Moines, Iowa, and entered into real estate business in the firm of Brown, Heartwell & Co., which firm, after several changes, was merged into the Iowa Loan and Trust Company, of which he was one of the Directors, and was elected Secretary at its organization in February, 1872. Mr. Heartwell came to Nebraska in June, 1879, and located in Hastings. He was still Secretary of the Company, and held the office until January, 1880, when the company organized the Kansas and Nebraska Department, of which he was appointed general manager, which position he resigned in the fall of that year, and on January 1, 1881, he joined E. C. Webster, and established the present business. Mr. Heartwell was appointed Treasurer of the City of Hastings to fill a vacancy, March, 1881, and was shortly afterward elected to that office. Edwin C. Webster, the junior member, was born at Phelps, Ontario Co., N. Y., April 26, 1850. At eighteen years of age, he began business life as clerk in general merchandise business at that place, and was employed in that capacity three years, subsequently in the employ of the O. & M. R. R. Co., at Cincinnati, Ohio, as office clerk for two years, then at Kansas City, Mo., as station agent of the St. L. & W. R. Co. for one year, afterward bookkeeper for a short time for the R. R. Trans. Co. In the spring of 1875, he went to Des Moines, Iowa, and entered the employ of the Iowa Loan & Trust company as clerk, and was appointed Assistant Secretary, and held that position until he resigned to come to Hastings, Neb., in January, 1881, and at once entered into this firm.
REV. S. H. HENDERSON, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church; was born in Brownsville, Haywood Co., Tenn., March 4, 1829; moving to Illinois with his parents when quite young, he resided there with them until November, 1845, when he went to Iowa, and was employed in Johnson County at farming, etc. In 1849, he was appointed Deputy United States Surveyor of the State of Iowa, holding the office four years. In November, 1853, he entered the law office of Pleasants & Henderson, at Rock Island, Ill., as a law student, and was admitted to practice at the bar in June, 1855. He was then for a few months engaged in surveying in Wisconsin, after which he was employed as a civil engineer and draftsman at Decorah, Iowa. Mr. Henderson began the practice of law in Mitchell, Iowa, June, 1856, and in the following year he was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in August, 1858, and was received into the traveling connection in the Upper Iowa Conference, and stationed at Mitchell, Iowa. He labored in the Methodist Episcopal Church up to August, 1862, when he took a commission as a recruiting officer, and in that capacity raised a company for the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry, and was elected and commissioned Captain of the same, and served until August 22, 1863, when he resigned on account of ill-health. In May, 1864, he took an active part in recruiting the Forty-fourth Iowa Infantry, and was elected Colonel by the officers of the line, and commissioned by Gov. Stone, serving in that capacity 115 days. Mr. Henderson then labored in the Methodist Episcopal Church in Iowa, and was appointed Presiding Elder of the Marshalltown District in 1868, holding the position four years. In 1872, then of the Cedar Rapids District, holding it also four years. In 1876, he was appointed to the pastorate of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Decorah, Iowa, remaining there one year. He was transferred to Nebraska in October, 1877, and had charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Lincoln for two years, then at Falls City until he came to Hastings, in September, 1881, when he entered upon his present duties. Mr. Henderson was elected Chaplain of the State Senate in January, 1881, and has been Secretary of the Methodist Episcopal Conference of this State for the past three years.
DAVID H. HOLMES, well borer and florist, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., in 1844; when ten years of age, removed with his father to Wisconsin, residing in Dodge and Washington Counties for some four years, after which he went with him to Calhoun, Mich., and assisted in farming until he enlisted August 24, 1861, in "Merrill's Horse." Serving three years, he subsequently returned to Calhoun, and was employed in farming. In 1866, he removed to Chickasaw County, Iowa, where he was engaged in same capacity for four years. Moving to Lawler, in that county, he carried on a grain and live stock business, discontinuing them to come to Nebraska in October, 1872. He at once homesteaded 160 acres in West Blue Precinct, Adams County, and resided on it for five years, during which period he farmed the same and was for six months also engaged in "well boring." After this he changed his residence to Denver Precinct, and still continued his business as well borer, and was also for a short time engaged in traveling for a nursery. He removed to Hastings in September, 1879, and permanently established himself in business as a well-borer, to which he has quite recently added that of florist, having built a fine green-house, and cultivates flowers, etc., quite extensively. Mr. Holmes was married in Chickasaw County, Iowa, September 19, 1869, to Mary J. Reed, a native of New York. They have two children--Edward J. and Frederick T.
HIRAM E. HOUGHTALING, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hastings, West Blue Precinct, was born in Albany County, N. Y., in 1842, and at thirteen years of age removed with his parents to Adams County, Wis., where he assisted his parents in farming until September 11, 1862, when he enlisted in the Tenth Wisconsin Infantry, in which he served over three years. He was wounded September 19, 1863, at battle of Chickamauga, in right leg. After the war, Mr. H. turned his attention to farming, and followed it in Adams, Marquette and Walworth Counties, Wis., for three years, then in Chickasaw County, Iowa, until he came to Nebraska, October, 1872. He homesteaded 160 acres in West Blue Precinct, Adams County, and has been engaged in farming and stock-raising since. He was married at Friendship, Adams County, Wis., August 12, 1866, to Sarah Buck.
F. P. HOYT, market gardener and breeder of Poland-China hogs, one and one half miles north of Hastings, Denver Precinct; came to Nebraska and located in Denver Precinct, Adams County, March 4, 1880. He cultivates eighty acres of land, devoting ten acres to raising vegetables, greens, etc. Has twenty-four hot beds for forcing the growth of plants, vegetables, etc., requiring the use of 1,400 feet of glass. Mr. H. is a native of the State of Vermont, and learned his present business at Cameron, Clinton County, Mo. Has had experience in the same of over five years.
O. C. HUBBELL, A. M., Principal of public schools, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, February 23, 1844. Was educated at Hiram College, Ohio, graduating in 1872, after which he was Principal of the public schools of Bedford, Ohio, for five years. Subsequently, engaged in the same capacity at Chagrin Falls, Ohio, for a year. He came to Nebraska in August, 1878, locating at Fairfield, Clay County. He was appointed Principal of the public schools of that place, remaining there six months, after which he went to Sutton, Neb., and was Principal of the public schools there for two years. Coming to Hastings in the spring of 1881, he entered upon his present duties. Mr. H. was married in Hiram, Portage Co., Ohio, in 1869, to Frinda Newcomb, a native of Freedom, Ohio. They have three children--L. Marie, Abraham T. and Tod Vernon.
WILLIAM HUDSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hastings, Denver Precinct, was born in Orange County, N. Y., March 9, 1816, residing there on a farm until twenty-two years of age, then farming, milling, etc., in Monroe County, N. Y., until he came to Nebraska, March 30, 1872, at which time he homesteaded eighty acres in Denver Precinct, Adams County, and resided on it for some eight years or more. In July, 1881, he purchased a forty-acre farm in the same precinct, and is now engaged in conducting the same. He was married in Monroe County, N. Y., in 1836, to Maria Irish, a native of New York. They have one son--Orlando.
JACOB HUF, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hansen, West Blue Precinct, was born in Bavaria in 1838. He learned the trade of blacksmith in that country, and was for some years employed as a journeyman. He emigrated to America in 1866, locating at Freeport, Ill.; was for three years engaged in conducting a blacksmith shop, afterward engaged in same capacity in Benton County, Iowa, until he came to Nebraska in 1874. He homesteaded eighty acres in West Blue Precinct, on which he has since resided. He now owns 160 acres of land, all of which is under cultivation. Mr. H. was married in Bavaria in 1864, to Elizabeth Shenaberry, a native of that country. They have three children--Phillipenia, Ludwig and Jacob.
JACOB R. HURSH, watchmaker and jeweler, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., in 1845, residing on a farm with his parents until he enlisted July 18, 1864, in the One Hundred and Ninety-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving about a year, subsequently returning home. He was for some time employed as clerk in the mercantile business, and also in teaching school. In 1870, he removed to Iowa City, Iowa, and one year later, to Indianola, Iowa, where he engaged in the grocery business in company with J. E. Pritchard. This firm dissolved in the fall of 1871, after which he was employed as clerk in the boot and shoe business, and in May of 1873, he opened a jewelry and watchmaking establishment; which he carried on for some six years. Mr. Hursh first came to Nebraska in August, 1872, and homesteaded 160 acres of land in Denver Precinct, Adams County, returning shortly afterward to his home in Indianola. He remained until July, 1879, when he closed out his business there, removing his stock to Hastings, since which time he has been engaged in the same business at this place. This is the oldest exclusive jewelry and watchmaking establishment in Hastings. Mr. Hursh carries a well-assorted stock of some $3,500. His store is very handsomely furnished, the fixtures costing about $1,200, and in the watchmaking department he employs a skillful and experienced workman.
GEORGE T. HUTCHINSON, Sheriff of Adams County, was born near Luray, Page Co., Va., in 1835, removing to Ohio in 1842 with his parents, and resided with them in Licking and Knox Counties for fourteen years, assisting in farming, etc., excepting during the years 1852-53, when he was employed as brakeman on the Central Ohio Railroad. In 1856, he went to Coles County, Ill., and was engaged in farming for several months, subsequently taught school in Shelby County for some four years, after which he rented a farm in the county, and cultivated the same until he enlisted in September, 1862, in the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, serving until May, 1865, returning to his home in Coles County, Ill. He was engaged in farming, and also teaching school during the winter until he came to Nebraska, in March, 1873, at which time he homesteaded 160 acres of land in Cottonwood Precinct, Adams, County, and was engaged in farming until January 1, 1882, when he came to Hastings, and entered upon his duties as Sheriff, having been elected in November, 1881. He is the owner of 400 acres of farming land, and a forty-acre tree claim, which he set out in 1874. Mr. Hutchinson was married in Shelby County, Ill., in 1858, to Nancy J. Marts, a native of Indiana. They have six children--William H. (Deputy Sheriff), Lucy E., Theodosia, Joseph C., George C. and Stephen.
[BADGER LUMBER YARD, C. N. PAINE & CO.]
A. B. IDESON, manager of Badger Lumber Yard, was born in New York City in 1851, and, when quite young, removed with his parents to Geneva, Ontario Co., N. Y. Mr. Ideson began business life in 1869, in the city of New York, entering the employ of Dannat Bros., lumber dealers, as inspector, after which he was salesman and subsequently foreman, remaining in their employ some five years. He then went to Geneva, New York, and opened a lumber-yard in company with A. A. Halsey. Eighteen months later, he sold out and removed to Oshkosh, Wis., where he entered the employ of C. N. Paine & Co., proprietors of the Badger Lumber Yards, as salesman, buyer, etc., and was engaged in that capacity until transferred to Hastings, Neb., in September, 1877, to take charge of the company's business in Nebraska, having established a yard at Hastings in 1874. The company also opened branch lumber-yards at Hansom, Doniphan and other points in Nebraska, which are also under Mr. Ideson's management. Mr. Ideson removed his family to Hastings in 1878. He has since February, 1879, been connected with his brother, John C. Ideson, in the stationery business, under the style of J. C. Ideson & Co. He was elected Secretary of the Hastings Fair Ground Association in 1880, was re-elected in 1881, and Secretary of the Adams County Agricultural Society in 1880-81. The Badger Company also do an extensive coal business at these places, handling some 5,000 tons per annum. They carry a stock of lumber in this State of about 3,000,000 feet.
JOHN C. IDESON, of the firm of J. C. Ideson & Co., books, stationery, etc., was born in New York City in 1848, removing with his parents when quite young to Geneva, Ontario Co., N. Y., residing there with them until eighteen years of age. He was then employed as traveling salesman for a nursery for some six years. In 1872, he went to Houston, Tex., where he engaged in the stationery and book business in company with G. W. Baldwin. They carried on business together for five years, after which Mr. Ideson returned to his home in New York State. He came to Nebraska in 1878, and located in Hastings. He purchased 600 acres of land in Hamilton Co., Neb., and was engaged in improving the same until February, 1879, when he engaged in his present business in company with his brother, A. B. Ideson. He confines himself to the management of this business, farming his land by proxy, the same being used for stock-breeding principally, he being interested.
JOHN JACKSON, farmer, P .O. Hastings, West Blue Precinct, was born in Scotland, in March, 1844. He was reared on a farm, and assisted his father in conducting the same until he emigrated to America in August, 1872. He at once came to Nebraska, and homesteaded eighty acres in West Blue Precinct, and has been engaged in farming since. He now owns 160 acres, 135 of which are under cultivation.
SVEND JOHNSON, of the firm of McElhinney & Johnson, contractors, builders and manufacturers of brick, was born in Denmark, May 6, 1851, and came to America in 1868, residing in Racine, Wis.; was employed as a brickmaker until he came to Nebraska in May, 1870. Locating at Nebraska City, Otoe County, he was employed in a brickyard until the spring of 1876, when he joined D. M. McElhinney in his present business and came to Hastings in the following year, when the firm moved its base of operations to this point.
BARTHOLOMEW KERNAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hastings, West Blue Precinct, was born in Ireland in 1853, emigrating to America in 1867. He settled in Dodge County, Wis., where he was employed in farming for about nine years. He came to Nebraska in March, 1876, purchased 160 acres in West Blue Precinct, and has been engaged in farming the same since; also does considerable in raising Poland-China hogs, and Short-Horn cattle. Mr. Kernan was married in Adams County, Neb., November 28, 1879, to Ellen Scott. They have two children--Mary E. and Margaret.
HON. JAMES LAIRD, attorney at law, was born in Fowlerville, Livingston County, N. Y., June 10, 1849, and several years later accompanied his parents to Michigan, residing in Washtenaw and Lenawee Counties. He enlisted July 24,1861, in Gen. Stockton's Independent Infantry, which a year later was changed to the Sixteenth Michigan Infantry. Mr. Laird enlisted as a private, but he was promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company G, for gallant and meritorious conduct, and less than a year later to Captain of the company, serving until mustered out, August 26,1865. During the service in the war, he received four musket-shot wounds and a saber cut, the latter at Laurel Hill, Va., May 8, 1864. At the battle of Gaines Hill he was shot through the body and left for dead on the field; was picked up by the Confederates and made prisoner, but thirty days later made his escape. After the war, Mr. L. turned his attention to the study of law, for which he prepared at Wesleyan College, Adrian, Mich. In 1868, he went to Ann Arbor University, Mich.; continued his studies there. He graduated in the law college with the close of the term of 1871, and in June of that year was admitted, at Lansing, to the Michigan State bar, after which he practiced law for a short time. He came to Nebraska on July 10, 1872, located in Juniata and at once began the practice of law, and in 1877, he associated himself with Benjamin F. Smith, since which time they have practiced in partnership. In 1879, the firm moved their law office to Hastings. Mr. Laird makes a specialty of trial cases. He has always taken a large interest in State politics; was a member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1875, and, in 1880, was one of the Republican Presidential Electors of Nebraska. Mr. L. is a member of the American Bar Association, and also of the State Bar Association.
HERMAN LEPIN, proprietor of the Lepin Hotel, was born in Germany in 1832, and emigrated to America in 1852, locating at Lowell, Lake County, Ind. He was engaged in mercantile business at that place for some nineteen years; also in conducting grist, saw and woolen mills for eight years of that period. In 1871, he removed to Chicago, Ill., and was engaged as a traveling salesman in the hat and cap business, until the fall of 1873, when he came to Hastings, Neb., as general agent for McCormick's harvesting machines, which position he filled for one year, subsequently engaging in hotel business; was burned out September 16, 1879; he then built his present hotel building, and opened the same under the style of "Lepin Hotel," January 1, 1880. His house is quite popular, and he has the best accommodations for forty persons.
MILES K. LEWIS was born in Genesee County, N. Y., August 22, 1825. When he was ten years of age, his father emigrated to the West with his family, and settled in Marion County, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming; remained here for about six years. He made a second removal, locating in Knox County, Ill., again resuming the avocation of farming. During all these changes, Miles was employed with his father, and with him he remained until near twenty years of age. Full of the spirit and enterprise which has since characterized his career, young Lewis, at this early age, launched out upon his own account without a penny, since working out a busy and eventful life marked by numerous changes, and crowned with remarkable success. After leaving the paternal roof, he made his way into the State of Iowa, and entered a forty-acre tract of land, with money made by splitting rails, and, finally, about the year 1851, returned to Johnson County, where he purchased 240 acres of land. For about eight years he was engaged in the cultivation of his farm, from which, by shrewd and judicious management, he realized handsomely; but the occupation of a small farmer was too cramping to his towering ambition, and he grew restless for wider and more lucrative fields. Disposing of his farm, he went to Poweshiek County, Iowa, and purchased a section of land, and began the business of sheep raising on an extensive scale, in which he continued for nearly twelve years; neither were all the bright prospects by which he was now surrounded sufficient to satisfy the activity of his mind and body. Ever progressive, he looked for something higher--something to equal in its attentions the capacity of his own mind. Pursuant to this end, he sold out his property in Iowa, coming to Nebraska in 1873, procured and purchased 400 acres of land near Hastings, and engaged in the editorial field, publishing a newspaper, the Journal, at that place, in company with A. L. Wigton. During the following year, the firm, besides their journalistic work, were also engaged in buying and selling real estate. This partnership, however, was short lived, and prior to the ending of the year 1874, was dissolved, Lewis having disposed of his interest in the business. In the spring of the next year, he moved on his farm and began its improvement, and also engaged in the breeding of blooded stock, making a specialty of fine hogs, continuing in this business for only three years. It was given up to be superseded by the enterprise of manufacture. The genius and restless spirit of the man led him into the speculative field of invention, resulting in the perfection of a patent grain header. Leaving his farm in the fall of 1878, he entered upon the manufacture of his machine, and by July of the following year turned out thirty machines. The points of excellence of this, with the improvements that have since been added, render it superior to any heading machine in use. The leading improvements made and that characterizing its superiority mainly, is that of the chain drive and the adjustable sprocket wheels, by means of which the cog wheel gearing is in great part dispensed with, only two cog wheels being used. Another leading feature is the chain apron. The canvas, instead of being propelled by friction rollers, is run by a chain apron on sprocket wheels, and thus all friction and binding upon the journals are avoided and the draft of the machine greatly lessened. In 1880, Mr. Lewis took in his son Frank as partner, the style of the firm being M. K. Lewis & Son, and in the following year, another change was effected in the addition to the firm of his son, E. L. Lewis, and W. B. Everett, the firm name being M. K. Lewis, Sons & Co. The prosperity of this enterprise has continued to advance steadily from the first, and it is numbered among the leading manufacturing establishments in the State. The works at present employ thirty men, and during the present year will turn out 150 machines, which find a ready market in Nebraska, Kansas and Dakota, and are highly esteemed on account of the excellency of their work. At the age of twenty-four, Mr. Lewis was married in Johnson County, Iowa, to Corinthia Parks, a native of Indiana. Their family consists of six children. Mr. L. was elected in the first Board of Trustees when the town of Hastings was incorporated as a village, and was chosen by the board to act as its Chairman. Subsequently he was elected Mayor of the city, which position he occupied for one year. Thus, from a farmer boy, Mr. L. has risen to the position of a wealthy manufacturer, and his name must stand with that of the leading inventors of the age.
DAVIS LOWMAN & SON, real estate agents. Davis Lowman, the senior member of this firm, was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1827, and ten years later removed, with his parents, to Knox County, Ill., and some thirteen years later to Stark County, Ill. In 1851, he engaged in mercantile business at Toulon, that county, and continued it until 1863. He was elected Treasurer of the county in 1853, and held the office for six years. In 1858, he also engaged in the real estate business, in company with the Hon. M. A. Fuller, remaining in partnership with him for some ten years, after which he conducted the business alone for some twelve years longer, from 1856 to 1878. Mr. L. also carries on a farm, and made a specialty of breeding short-horn cattle. He was one of the largest stock breeders in Stark County, Ill. He came to Hastings Neb., in the summer of 1878; in the following October removed his family, and in the fall of the same year established this business. He has had a practical experience in real estate business of over twenty-five years. William L., his son and the junior partner of the firm, is a graduate of Eastman's Commercial School, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. This is his first experience in business.
W. H. LYNN, physician and surgeon, was born in Lockport, Ill. He was, for several years, employed in the boot and shoe business with his father at that place, subsequently going to Schuylkill County, Penn., where he was employed for about a year as shipping clerk, and during that period, he also studied medicine with Dr. Halbauer, a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia. Returning to Lockport, he studied with Dr. Hanley, a graduate of Manchester, England, for eight months, after which he attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., during the winter of 1875-76; subsequently a student at Cook County Hospital, where he remained for three months, under the supervision of Dr. Kauffman. He returned to Rush College in the fall of 1876, and graduated in 1877. The doctor then practiced medicine at Snoddy's Mills, Fountain Co., Ind., for five months; afterward at Wilmington, Will Co., Ill., where he practiced until 1879, when he came to Hastings, Neb., and opened an office for the practice of his profession in the following April. He was elected Coroner of Adams County in November, 1879, holding the office for two years; was appointed County Physician in May, 1879, and is the present incumbent.
ROBERT McCLELLAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hastings, Denver Precinct, was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1830. He assisted his parents in farming until about twenty-five years of age, when he engaged in farming on his own account, conducting a farm of over one hundred acres in that county until he sold out to come to Nebraska. He located in Denver Precinct, Adams County, in April, 1874, purchasing 320 acres of land; has since been engaged in farming, and is also engaged in raising stock, making a specialty of Poland-China hogs.