Adams County | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles | Organization|
Criminal | First Things | Railroads
Manufactures | County Seat Removals | County Poor Farm|
Grasshoppers | Agricultural Society | Farmer's Alliance
Public Schools | Towns
Hastings: Banks | Manufactures | The Press|
Hastings (cont.): Societies | Religious | Liberal Hall | Schools|
Fire Department | Telephone Exchange
5 ~ 8:
ABBOTT ~ FRINK | GANT ~ McCLELLAN
McCULLY ~ SAMPLE | SCALES ~ YEAZEL
Juniata: Banks | Flouring Mill | Societies | Religious|
The Press | Schools
Juniata: Biographical Sketches|
Ayr: Biographical Sketches|
Kenesaw: First Things | Religious | Educational | The Press|
Hansen: Biographical Sketches
List of Illustrations in Adams County Chapter
WINFIELD ACKLEY, physician and surgeon, was born in Fulton County. Ohio, in 1850. He was educated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, graduating there in June, 1876. Afterward he practiced for a year at Lost Nation, Clinton Co., Iowa. The Doctor came to Juniata, Neb., July 21, 1877, and at once began the practice of his profession at this place. He left here in December, 1879, to attend lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., and graduated there February 24, 1880, after which he resumed his practice at this place. Dr. Ackley was elected Coroner of Adams County in 1877, holding it one term; has been a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society since May, 1880, and was appointed Examining Surgeon for United States pensions in March, 1882. He was married, in Jackson, Mich., to Florence A. Thorne, a native of that place. They have one son--Guy.
JOHN F. ADAMS, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, June 29, 1842; one year later, removed, with his parents, to Elkhart County, Ind. On September 24, 1861, he enlisted in the Thirtieth Indiana Infantry, and served until September, 1864, after which he was engaged in draying, etc., at Goshen, Ind., for three years, then at Decatur for two years or more. He came to Nebraska March 14, 1873, homesteading 160 acres in Juniata Precinct ; has farmed the same since; was for six years a member of the District School Board. He was married at Goshen, Ind., in 1865, to Eliza Blue, a native of that place. They have four children--Hattie, Florence, Grace and Earnest.
E. M. ALLEN, dealer in lumber, lime, etc., was born in Grafton County, Vt., in 1835. At seventeen years of age, he removed to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he learned the trade of carpenter, and was employed at it and also in contracting for building work some ten years. In 1863, he went to Otsego, Mich., and was engaged in mercantile business some five years, and during the year 1864 also served the Government, being engaged in "recruiting," etc. Mr. Allen was also, for several years, a member of Allegan County, Mich., Board of Supervisors. He came to Nebraska in 1869, locating in Lincoln; he at once began business as a contractor and builder. In the spring of 1871, he changed his base of operations to Juniata, and carried on a contracting and building business, in company with I. G. Dillon, for some eighteen months, subsequently entering the employ of C. R. Jones & Co., general merchants at this place, as clerk, and remaining with them until June, 1876, when he engaged in dealing in lumber, etc., having purchased the stock of W. L. Van Alstyne. Mr. Allen was one of the first Commissioners of Adams County, having been elected in 1871, when the county was organized. He held the office two years; was elected a member of .the Board of Trustees of Juniata in 1880 and re-elected in 1881.
PETER ANDERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Sweden, May 26, 1832. Followed farming in that country. He emigrated to America in 1864, and shortly after his arrival in New York enlisted in the Second New York Artillery, serving three years. Returning to Sweden, he farmed there; coming to Nebraska in March, 1872, homesteaded 160 acres in Juniata Precinct, residing on the same since; he has now 240 acres. He was married early in 1872, in Sweden, to Hannah Hans. His family consists of three children--Ina, Mary and Edward.
ROBERT ASH, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Bedford County, Penn., in March, 1833. He followed farming in that county until the close of the war, when he changed his base of operations to Washington County, Iowa, where he carried on a farm for six years; then he came to Nebraska in 1872, homesteading eighty acres in Juniata Precinct; has resided on the same since. He now cultivates 200 acres, and is quite extensively engaged in breeding Short-horn cattle, etc.; is the owner of 240 acres. Mr. A. has held the offices of Road Supervisor, School Director, and is now Assessor of the precinct. He was married, in Alleghany County, Md., February 15, 1855, to Mazy E. Lashley, a native of that State. They have four children living--Almira V., Mershall I., Henry E. and E. Gertrude.
ANSON S. AUSTIN, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Seneca County N. Y., in 1819. He followed farming as an occupation, residing in Seneca, Orleans and Monroe Counties, N. Y., until 1861, when he went to Wayne County, Ind., where he lived for seven years, four or five of which he was engaged in hotel business. He then returned to Monroe County, N. Y., and farmed until he came to Nebraska, in May, 1880. He purchased eighty acres of land in Juniata Precinct, and has resided on it since. In connection with farming, he is also largely engaged in breeding cattle, hogs, etc. Mr. A. was married in Monroe County, N. Y., in 1839, to Caroline Brown, a native of that county. They have two children--Lucy and Otis.
A. H. BROWN of Brass & Brown, real estate and insurance agents, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1841, and several years later removed, with his parents, to Vinton, Iowa, and learned the trade of printer at that place. In September, 1861, he enlisted in the Thirteenth Iowa Infantry. On July 20, 1864, he lost his left arm by a gun-shot wound at the battle of Atlanta, Ga., and was mustered out April, 1865, after which he returned home to Vinton, but did not actively engage in business for some time. On December 17, 1868, he established the People's Journal at Vinton, Iowa, and conducted the same, in company with his brother, George T. Brown, for nearly four years. Mr. B. came to Nebraska August 16, 1872, locating in Juniata Precinct, Adams County, homesteading 160 acres; he farmed for a year. In the fall of 1873, was elected Superintendent of the Public Schools of Adams County, holding the office for two years, and from 1873 to 1876, had charge of the editorial department of the Adams County Gazette, and, in the latter part of 1876, the Juniata Herald was established by the citizens of the place, Mr. B. being placed in charge of the same; retained the position for a year; subsequently did not actively engage in business until he joined Samuel L. Brass, in the spring of 1881, and established this business.
JUDSON BURWELL, farmer and stock-raiser, was born at Burlington, Fulton Co., Ohio, October 18, 1843; was raised on a farm, and, on April 21, 1861, enlisted in Fourteenth Ohio Infantry; served three months, re-enlisting on October 18, 1861, in Sixty-eighth Ohio Infantry, serving three years; was variously employed for some three years. He took first homestead in Juniata Precinct. Then farmed in Wabash and Kosciusko Counties, Ind., until he came to Nebraska in May, 1871, at which time he homesteaded 160 acres in Juniata Precinct, on September 20, 1871. He moved his family to the same, and has resided on it since. Mr. B. has held the office of Assessor of precinct, and member of Board of Election. He was married in Kosciusko County, Ind., in 1867, to Mary A. Robinson, a native of Indiana. They have one daughter--Ella May.
SPENCER W. CLARK, proprietor Juniata Flour Mills, was born in Auburn City, N. Y., in 1831, removing to Ontario County, N. Y. When very young resided there with his parents until he reached the age of fifteen years, when he came west to Salem, Wis., where he learned the trade of miller, serving as an apprentice some three years. Was then engaged in Empire Mills, at Milwaukee, Wis., for eight years, off and on, and in building and conducting mills in various parts of that State. In 1858, he erected stone flouring mills at Fond du Lac, and followed milling there for many years, subsequently in same capacity in Lincoln, Ill., for four and one half years. He then went to Chicago, Ill., where he erected a large mill in company with T. F. Ladue and William Horton, but only conducted it some six months. Returning to Lincoln, he carried on the Logan Mills for some time. Mr. Clark came to Nebraska in June, 1879, locating in Juniata, and, on the 1st of July following, he engaged in present business. His mill stands well in the community. It has all the modern improvements for preparing flour, and has a capacity of 100 barrels per day. There are five men employed in the mill, which is under the direct supervision of Mr. Clark, who has had thirty years' experience in practical milling. He is also engaged in breeding blooded hogs, making a specialty of Berkshire and Poland-China breeds.
ALBERT V. COLE, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Huron County, Ohio, January 14, 1842. His father died March, 1842, when Albert was two months old. At six years of age removed with his mother to Canada but remained there only three years, when his mother died; returning to Huron County, and a year later removed to Wayne County, N. Y. and resided on a farm. At seventeen years of age, he went to Lenawee Co., Mich., and farmed until he enlisted on September 12, 1861, in Fourth Michigan Infantry. Was discharged April, 1863, and shortly after re-enlisted in Gen. Custer's brigade, Sixth Michigan Cavalry. He was wounded at Cold Harbor, Va., by pistol shot in left arm, which incapacitated him, but he was not discharged until January 6, 1865. During the winter of 1865-66, he attended Eastman's College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and, in the spring of 1867, entered into mercantile business at Addison, Mich. One year later, he joined Ezra B. Strong, and they conducted the business there until Mr. Cole sold out to come to Nebraska in October, 1871. He homesteaded 160 acres in West Blue Precinct, Adams County, residing on the same for over a year. In 1873, he came to Juniata, and engaged in the grocery business, carrying it on alone until he consolidated his business with that of Ira G. Dillon in 1875, and the firm then added general merchandise. On January 1, 1879, Mr. C. purchased his partner's interest, and has since carried the business on alone. He carries a stock of some $10,000, and does an annual business of $20,000 to $25,000. Mr. C. owns some 600 acres of land in the county, which is farmed by renters. He was elected a Commissioner of Adams County in the fall of 1879; term of office three years. He is Captain of Company F, First Regiment Nebraska National Guards, having been commissioned by Gov. Nance in June, 1880. Was elected a member of the Board of Trustees of Juniata in April, 1880, and re-elected in 1881. Mr. C. was married in Lenawee County, Mich., September 6, 1869, to Susan P. Crane, a native of Hillsdale County, Mich. They have three living children--Lucy J., Ely and Mabel, and one deceased.
WILLIAM B. CUSHING, dealer in groceries, etc., was born in Livingston County, Mich., in 1838. Was for seven years employed as a clerk in general mercantile business at Brighton, in Livingston County, and there engaged in same business in firm of W. R. Cobb & Co. for three years, selling out his interest to come to Nebraska in June, 1872. He homesteaded eighty acres of land in Denver Precinct, Adams County, and resided on the same for five years, during which time he was employed as clerk in mercantile business at Juniata, and continued in that capacity until he established the business in October, 1879. He carries a good stock of some $1,600, and does an annual business of some $12,000.
IRA G. DILLON, dealer in grain, etc., was born in Hudson, Lenawee County, Mich., in 1836; resided on farm with parents until twenty-four years of age, after which he farmed on his own account for two years, subsequently removing to St. Louis, Gratiot County, Mich. Was employed as a carpenter, and worked in saw-mills for six years or more. He then engaged in furniture business, remaining in the same two years. He came to Nebraska in November, 1871, homesteading eighty acres in Denver Precinct, Adams County. He resided in the same for five years. Mr. Dillon, on his arrival in this State, entered into the business as a contractor and builder in company with E. M. Allen, remaining with him some eighteen months. In August 1873, he engaged in mercantile business at Juniata, and conducted this business alone until 1875, when he consolidated his stock with that of A. V. Cole. They remained in partnership until January 1, 1879, when Mr. Dillon sold out his interest to his partner. In connection with mercantile business, Mr. Dillon, in August, 1878, built the Dillon Elevator at this place, and entered into the grain trade, in which he is still engaged. He is also a partner in firm of J. M. Sewell & Co., implement dealers at Juniata. The subject of this sketch was appointed Treasurer of Adams County in 1872, to fill a vacancy, and held the office for a few months. Was appointed one of the Trustees of Juniata in December, 1879, elected in April, 1880, and re-elected in 1881-82, each term being elected Chairman of the Board. Mr. Dillon was married at Moscow, Hillsdale County, Mich., in January 1,1861, to Cornelia Davis. She died July 27, 1865, leaving one daughter--Ina M. Mr. D. was married again at St. Louis, Mich., in 1867, to Laura P. Brundige, a native of Akron, Ohio. They have four children--Lorena, Margaret, Grace and Herbert.
DAVID H. FREEMAN, of W. D. Sewell & Co., dealers in general merchandise, was born in Rochester, N. Y., August 27, 1845, removing at the age of seven years with his parents to Barry County, Mich., and, at fifteen years of age, began business life as a clerk in mercantile business, in which capacity he remained for some eighteen months. He then went to Fort Wayne, Ind., where he entered the employ of the Banner Insurance Company as traveling solicitor, and six months later was appointed Assistant Secretary of the company, occupying that position for a year. Subsequently removing to Morenci, Mich., was employed as clerk in mercantile business until spring of 1864, when he enlisted in Thirteenth Michigan Infantry, serving until the close of the war, after which he went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, and was for a year engaged in conducting a hotel at Shaffer Farm. Returning to Michigan, was for four years employed as head clerk by J. K. Boies & Co., dealers in general merchandise at Hudson, Lenawee County. Mr. Freeman came to Nebraska in spring of 1869, locating in Omaha. Was employed as clerk in dry goods business for a year. He then opened a laundry at Lincoln, carrying it on for three years. In February, 1874, he came to Juniata, and conducted a lumber yard for A. W. Cox. of Hastings. In the fall of 1875, in company with R. S. Langley, built and ran the Juniata Grist Mill for eighteen months, then sold out and went to Lincoln, where he was for over two years in the employ of David May, wholesale and retail clothing, etc. He returned to Juniata in July, 1879, and joined W. D. Sewell in present business. This concern is one of the prominent firms of this place. Mr. Freeman was elected Clerk of the Board of Trustees of Juniata in April, 1881. In April, 1882, he was elected Village Trustee. The subject of this sketch was married at Juniata on January 1, 1877, to Emma Miller, a native of Coldwater, Mich. She died September 10,1880, leaving two children--Erva and William H. He was married a second time at Juniata September 15, 1881, to Julia Anderson, a native of Chicago, Ill.
M. K. HUTCHINSON, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Licking County, Ohio, August 19, 1844, and nine years later accompanied his parents to Knox County, Ohio, where he was employed in farming. On January 16, 1862, he enlisted in the Forty-seventh Ohio Infantry; served only six weeks, being discharged on account of his youth. In December, 1864, he re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-ninth Illinois Infantry, and was mustered out in March, 1866. After farming for a few months in Coles County, Ill., he went to Chicago, where he learned telegraphy, and was employed as an operator at Mattoon, Ill. In September, 1867, he came to Nebraska in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company, and worked for a short time as operator at Plum Creek, Dawson County. Returning East, he was employed by the Western Union Telegraph Company building lines in Iowa for a few months. He then went to Coles County, Ill.; was employed as clerk in mercantile business and also in farming there and in Humboldt for three years. Mr. Hutchinson then engaged in the lightning rod business, following it in Coles and Champaign Counties, Ill. Returning to Nebraska in that capacity in September, 1878, has followed it since, and since March, 1879, has also been engaged in farming in Juniata Precinct. Mr. Hutchinson was married in Humboldt, Coles Co., Ill., April 7, 1870, to Ada Wells, of Ohio. They have four children--Horace K., Charles L. Ada J. and Robert G.
WILLIAM L. KILBURN, dealer in coal, was born in Lunenburg, Worcester Co., Mass., November 10, 1816, and resided with his parents on the farm until 1860, when he went to Boston and for a year was employed as clerk in the grocery business; then farmed again with his parents. In 1865, he went to North Carolina, and was for two years engaged in superintending a cotton gin; then for a year was employed as a clerk in the post office at New Berne, N. C. Returning home in 1868, he again farmed, and in the spring of 1869 removed to Cambridge, Mass., where he was employed as a teamster. Two years later, he went to Detroit, Mich.; clerked for a produce and commission house for a short time; then visited Duluth and St. Paul, Minn.; was then for over three years employed as clerk in the grocery business at South Acton, Mass. Subsequently engaging in the grocery business at Worcester, Mass., he carried it on until he sold out to come to Nebraska, in February, 1880. In March, he purchased a temperance billiard hall in Juniata, and conducted it for two months, and in May purchased the coal business of J. S. Chandler. He does a large, increasing business. Last season he handled some 1,350 tons of coal. Mr. Kilburn was married at Brookline, N. H., in November, 1875, to Kate A. Litchfield, a native Pepperell, Mass. They have two children--Adelbert and Josephine.
COLUMBUS A. LANE, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Kennebec County, Me., in 1845, and resided there on a farm until about 1863; was then for two years employed by the United States Government as a carpenter; afterward he removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., and was employed farming, working in lumber woods and teaming, until he came to Nebraska in April, 1872. He pre-empted eighty acres of land in Juniata Precinct, and also took up a tree claim adjoining; he has now 327 acres in all, and is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising.
J. W. LIVERINGHOUSE, dealer in live stock, game, fish, etc., was born in Elkhart County, Ind., February 6, 1844, residing on a farm with his parents until he enlisted, in September, 1861, in the Thirtieth Indiana Infantry, serving in that regiment three years; re-enlisting in February, 1865, in the One Hundred and Fifty-second Indiana Infantry, was elected First Lieutenant of Company E; in the following March promoted Captain, and was shortly afterward appointed Provost Marshal of the District of Kanawha, Va.; was mustered out of service September 1, 1865. During his service in the war, Mr. Liveringhouse was not always fortunate. For instance, at the battle of Chickamauga, in September, 1863, he was taken prisoner by the Confederates and held for five months, when he made his escape to Danville, Va., and, after suffering severe privations and hardships for thirteen days and nights, reached the Union lines at Suffolk, Va. After leaving the army, he returned to Elkhart County, Ind., where he learned the trade of shoemaker, and was employed at it as a cutter for two years. After this he went to Alabama and carried on a green-house for two years. Returning to Indiana, he opened a factory at Goshen for the manufacture of barrel staves and heads; this he carried on for two years; subsequently was for five years in the employ of the Noble School Furniture Company as shipping clerk; was appointed Census Enumerator in the spring of 1880, and held it until July of that year, after which he came to Juniata, Neb., and was engaged in dealing in agricultural implements in company with James Newell until January 1, 1802, when he sold out and purchased his present business of B. W. Hammond. This is the oldest established business in this line in Juniata, and Mr. Liveringhouse has a large trade. He was elected Justice of the Peace in November, 1881, and entered upon the duties of his office January 1, 1882.
WILSON D. MURRAY, undertaker, and dealer in furniture, wagon repairing. etc., was born in Hamilton, Ont., January 12, 1849. He learned the trade of carpenter there, serving as an apprentice some three years, after which he was employed some two years as foreman in carpenter shop, etc.; then employed as a journeyman carpenter in Goderich, Ont., for two years. In August, 1871, he went to Chicago, Ill., where he remained four years employed at his trade, and subsequently made a trip to California; remaining there only a few months, he returned to Iowa, and was employed at his trade in Marengo and Iowa City until he came to Nebraska. In March, 1878, locating at Hastings, he was for three months engaged as a carpenter and builder; subsequently engaged as a contractor, which he followed for six months. He came to Juniata July 4, 1879, and opened a wagon repair shop and also did cabinet work; in the fall of 1881, he added the line of undertaker and furniture. When Mr. Murray came here, he was somewhat in debt, but by perseverance and economy has lifted clear, and is now doing a good business on a capital of $1,000.
JAMES NEWELL, of the firm of Newell Brothers, dealers in agricultural implements, clothes wringers, carpet sweepers, etc., was born in Elkhart County, Ind. in 1841, and resided with his parents on a farm until he enlisted in September, 1861, in the Thirtieth Indiana Infantry, and served three years and five months. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Chickamauga, on September 19, 1863, and held fifteen months, during which time he was incarcerated in the prisons of Belle Isle, Libby, Danville, Charleston, S. C., Andersonville, Ga., and Florence. After his service in the army, he returned to Elkhart County, Ind., and farmed for some fifteen years; he came to Nebraska in June, 1881, locating in Juniata; he at once entered into partnership with J. W. Liveringhouse in the agricultural implement business. On January 1, 1882, Mr. Liveringhouse went out of the firm, Joseph H. Newell taking his place, and the style is now Newell Brothers.
LORENZO F. PICARD, dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., was born in Stephenson County, Ill., in 1848. He learned the trade of tinner at Lena, in that county, remaining in the employ of Z. Stoner & Co. for six years; he then followed his trade at Marshall, Minn., for two years, subsequently returning to his home in Illinois to settle the estate of his father. He was employed at his trade with J. M. Smith, of Mt. Morris, for a few months; afterward he purchased an interest in the business. The firm dissolved in the spring of 1878, dividing the stock Mr. Pickard brought his share of the stock to Juniata, Neb., in May of that year, and at once established himself in his present business. He carries a nice stock of some $4,000, and does an annul business of about $10,000. He was appointed one of the Trustees of Juniata in 1880, holding office for several months. The subject of our sketch was married at Lena, Ill., in 1872, to Mary Scoville, a native of Wisconsin. They have three children--Charles F., Frederick and Earl.
SAMUEL J. SHIRLEY, Postmaster, news depot, etc., was born in Cedar County, Iowa, February 21, 1843. At six years of age, he removed with his parents to Le Claire, Scott County, Iowa, and resided with them until fifteen years of age, when he went to Warren County, Ill., and resided with his brother. On July 31, 1862, he enlisted in the Eighty-third Illinois Infantry, Company C, serving three years. He was wounded in the left wrist at Fort Donelson February 3, 1863, and again at Budd's Creek, Tenn., October 28, 1863, by a rifle bullet passing through both cheeks. When discharged he held the rank of First Duty Sergeant. After the war, he went to Benton County, Iowa, whence he was engaged in farming until he came to Juniata in September, 1871, at which time he homesteaded 160 acres in the precinct, and was engaged in cultivating the same for two years. In November, 1873, he moved into the town of Juniata, and was for a year engaged in conducting a restaurant. In the fall of 1874, was elected Justice of the Peace, and held the office for about four years, and during that period also carried on business as Collection Agent, Notary Public, etc. Subsequently, was employed as clerk in the mercantile business for three years, and during the last two years of that period also resided on and attended to his farm. He now owns some 240 acres in the county. Mr. Shirley was appointed Postmaster at this place in October, 1881, and entered upon his duties November 1; also opened news depot at that time. He was one of the organizers of Company F, First Regiment Nebraska National Guards, and was appointed Regimental Quartermaster on staff of Col. L. W. Colby in June, 1881. Mr. Shirley was married in Benton County, Iowa, June 20, 1877, to Abby C. Carr, a native of Providence, R. I. They have five children--Lena, Louie, Lily, Burt and Edith.
PROF. GURDON G. SILL, Principal of Juniata graded school, was born in Warren County, Penn., February 8, 1847; was educated at Union School there, afterward at Union School and Collegiate Institute of Jamestown, N. Y., and also at Oswego Normal and Training School at Oswego, N. Y. Previous to and during intervals of acquiring his finishing education, Prof. Sill taught school at Blockville, N. Y., Soldiers' Orphan School at Titusville and at private school in Brooklyn, N. Y., being engaged in all some six years, after which, having left the Normal School, he was appointed Principal of graded school at Kennedy, Chautauqua County, N. Y., filling that position for a year, after which he was Principal of school at Pittsfield, Penn., for one term. The Professor came to Nebraska in July, 1878, and taught a district school in Cass County for about seven months; was then appointed teacher in grammar department of Ashland High School, and filled that position for two years. He came to Juniata in August, 1881, and entered upon his present duties. He has had a practical experience as a teacher of twelve years, and is highly esteemed in Juniata and the neighborhood.
JACOB SWIFT, farmer, was born in Plymouth County, Mass., April 20, 1833, and some years later, accompanied his parents to Oneida County. Here he was engaged in farming, and also learned the trade of wagon-maker at Taburg, and followed it as a journeyman for seven years. On September 5, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Seventeenth New York Infantry, serving three years. Returning to Oneida County, was engaged in farming, and for some years had charge of the Blossvale cheese Factory. He came to Nebraska in February, 1872, pre-empted 160 acres of land in Juniata Precinct, and has been engaged in farming since. Is also engaged in the cultivation of fruit trees. In 1874, Mr. S. opened a wagon-shop at Juniata, and, in company with others, conducted it for some six years. He was married in Oneida County, N. Y., on December 23, 1861, to Frances Guyott, a native of Lewis County, N. Y. They have two children--Rufus G., Theresa.
LE GRAND B. THORNE, dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., was born in Barry County, Mich., in 1843; four years later he moved to Jackson County, Mich., residing with and assisting his parents in farming until twenty-one years of age, after which he farmed 170 acres for himself off and on for ten years. In December, 1871, in connection with his farming pursuits, he built a store at Baldwin, Jackson Co., Mich., and engaged in general merchandise business, carrying it on until May, 1874, when he came to Nebraska and located on 160 acres of land which he purchased in Webster County, residing on the same for two and a half years; he then returned to Jackson County, Mich., moving there in November, 1876, for the purpose of disposing of his land there, returning to Nebraska. In September, 1880, he located in Juniata, and assisted his father, W. B. Thorne, who was at that time Treasurer of Adams County. In March, 1881, he purchased the hardware business of George H. Hartsough, and has conducted the same since; he carries a stock of some $4,000, and does an annual business of $10,000. Mr. Thorne owns 320 acres of land in Webster County, which he rents; he was elected a member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1875. He was married in Jackson County, Mich., March 4, 1866, to Ella J. Tripp; she died November 8, 1880, in Juniata, leaving two children--Mable E. and Mattie T. Mr. Thorne was married a second time at Juniata, on December 25, 1881, to Mary A. Boulton, a native of Houghton County, Mich.
FRANK E. WILSON, manufacturer of harnesses, was born in Monroe County, Mich., in 1849; he learned the trade of harness-making there, and was employed at it as journeyman for a year, after which he purchased his employer's stock and business and conducted it for some three and a half years; he came to Juniata in October, 1876, was employed at his trade with W. H. Burr until he purchased the business in October, 1878. Is the only one in his line here, and does an annual business of $8,000 to $10,000.
WALKER & WATKINS, livery, feed and sale stables. These stables were built in August, 1879, by the present proprietors; they carry twelve livery horses, and do a large business in the sales department. George Walker, the senior partner, was born in England, in July, 1830; he learned the trade of baker and miller in that country, serving as an apprentice some five years, and was employed at that trade there until he immigrated to America in 1853, locating in Kankakee, Ill.; was for a year employed in a stone-quarry; then in Cook County, building railroads, etc., for four years; afterward at Grand Rapids, Mich., for four years, employed in saw-mills, subsequently in the oil regions of Pennsylvania, employed as teamster for two years; buying horses for the United States Army in and about Detroit, Mich., for some years, afterward teaming in the lumber woods of Michigan, and in same capacity in Miami County, Ohio. He came to Nebraska in October, 1872, homesteading eighty acres in Juniata Precinct, Adams County; resided on the same off and on for five years, coming to the town of Juniata during the winter months; was employed as cook, etc., and moved into Juniata to reside in 1877, at which time he engaged in the livery business; two years later, was joined by John Van Houghton, and eight months after sold out, joining his nephew, George Watkins, in present business, in August, 1879. George Watkins, the junior partner of this firm, was born in Michigan in 1857; removing with his parents when quite young to Washington County, Iowa, he resided there until he came to Nebraska in 1872, residing on a farm in Juniata Precinct until he joined his uncle in this business.